Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-373 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 373 Friday, 9 January 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: pop music TMBG: pop music TMBG: Token Back To Brooklyn TMBG: RE: Token Back To Brooklyn TMBG: The Grammys TMBG: Secret Tracks TMBG: john henry TMBG: "Hoover Factory" and "Edison Museum" Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 07:07:37 -0700 Subject: TMBG: pop music Message-ID: <19980108.070742.11838.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) >>> btw, i saw a brief tape of some elementary school girls doing a spice girl impression, all dressed up like them and stuff. it is burned into my brain as one of the most frightening experiences i have ever had.<<< my friend showed me a picture of all these little kids dressed up as marilyn manson and hanging on to his legs and stuff... it was frightening take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ***Now, with...: punctuation - (for easy); reading!*** ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9801081452.AA02187@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: pop music Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 09:52:22 -0500 (EST) > I'd define mainstream as something that is embraced by the media, whether > they "sold out" or if they just became popular (as is the case I'm seeing > with Ben Folds Five) > > Of course, then you have isolated communities, such as this list, in whiich > the "mainstream" may be something totally different. The percentage of > people on the list who have heard of BNL is a lot higher than that of the > general population. (Same probably with BFF... uh... Fountains of Wayne, > too, maybe...) It has to do with relative and absolute mainstream-ness (well as absolute as you can get). I would consider the Spice Girls an absolute mainstream group (ok yes a few grandmas out there might not have heard of them but 95% of the world has heard of them at least). I would consider BFF a little more regionally mainstream, although they're quickly making a name for themselves. I'd definitely consider Fountains of Wayne regionally mainstream (popular), where are they from? I've heard part of their CD and their name on here but apart from that there isn't any airplay that I've heard. Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34B4FE27.AF6BA4D9@garnet.acns.fsu.edu> Date: Thu, 08 Jan 1998 11:26:15 -0500 From: Emmanuel Donio Subject: TMBG: Token Back To Brooklyn As to other CDs with secret tracks like the one on Factory Showroom, I have come to find that on Blind Melon's brilliant album, "Soup," there is one about 2 minutes before the first track. It's really really weird. Later. Manny ------------------------------ From: jubei@grnet.com Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 15:18:46 -0500 Message-ID: Subject: TMBG: RE: Token Back To Brooklyn Well, I guess some of you have found it faster than i have. Never saw it's name in any form of TMBG news, so I just assumed that it was something sorta new. Anyway, I'd found out about this track coming back from Mackinaw Island on an 8th grade class trip at the end of the year in June, 1997. It was incredibly strange and new, so I listened and listened until i got the words down, and posted some kind of message on the tmbg news group. But after some things went wrong with my connection to the local freenet, i haven't been around long enough to hear the replies it may have generated. And, I just signed up to this mail list a week ago, so yes, maybe it's not new to you, but it's new to me. Anyway, since i'm never too sure about how many people read the newsgroup articles, i decided to post it again, but on the mail list, where some people were bound to hear about it. Vic Fitz ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot Message-ID: <3715c27e.34b541ec@aol.com> Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 16:15:23 EST Subject: TMBG: The Grammys Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) ok, I was looking at this years grammy lists....& am rather dissappointed.....when they start talking about the 1999 grammy nominations (by this time, I'm assuming there will be a new TMBG album out), we'll bug them with EMails to put TMBG into a category & nominated for a grammy, c'mn on! they have a chance in the polka category! Ok, someone remind me about this a little later in the year...& pardon, perhaps, my overenthusiam about TMBG.... jason "mr. hankey, the chirstmas poo" glastetter ------------------------------ From: Cajun Gram Message-ID: <16fd1a24.34b5555d@aol.com> Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 17:38:19 EST Subject: TMBG: Secret Tracks Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) I suppose this should be under "non-TMBG, but oh well. I like the track at the end of the new Ben Folds Five CD. It's not really a song, but I had to laugh the first time I heard it. Graham [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (message/rfc822)] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 22:17:39 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: TMBG: "Hoover Factory" and "Edison Museum" Message-ID: So I'm sitting here, doin' e-mail and listening to Elvis Costello's _Get Happy_, when on comes a song that sounds awfully familiar. I'm thinking "This sounds like...Edison Museum!" The song is "Hoover Factory" and it goes along the same themes, musically (though I couldn't say how, it just does) and thematically. The song is part of the extended play portion of the CD version of _Get Happy_. Anyone else know what I'm talking about? If not, I'm going to look for the lyrics and I'll post 'em if anyone would like. Stefanie Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://php.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Conan O'Brien, Sound God! http://php.indiana.edu/~smelliot/conan.html "You're fantastic, you're terrific. Your excellence is almost scientific." -Elvis Costello, "Wednesday Week" ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-373 ******************************