Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-377 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 377 Tuesday, 13 January 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: TMBG+Space Ghost TMBG: this-n-that TMBG: Other records Re: TMBG: Well at least we have had some discussion TMBG: You think THAT'S wierd? Re: TMBG: this-n-that TMBG: random stuff Re: TMBG: Well at least we have had some discussion TMBG: Q Magazine TMBG: easily available singles TMBG: music bins Re: TMBG: easily available singles Re: TMBG: this-n-that Re: TMBG: easily available singles Re: TMBG: random stuff TMBG: More important inactivity... Re: TMBG: More important inactivity... Re: TMBG: Other records Re: NON TMBG: Other records Re: Re: NON TMBG: Other records and other crap Re: TMBG: You think THAT'S wierd? Re: TMBG: More important inactivity... Re: TMBG: Naked? TMBG: Ben Folds Five / TMBG live MP3 TMBG: More Mono Puff Stuff Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 23:19:31 -0800 (PST) From: winningh Subject: TMBG: TMBG+Space Ghost Message-ID: Did the Flansy interview happen and I missed it? Cuz the Coast to Coasts that were on Friday had Metallica on one and Mike Judge + some guy on the other. Mmmmmm....Space Ghost...especo`ially the making fun of David Lynch episode... Sarah "people in deadly serious movies are always beautiful, and people in comedies are always ugly" Winningham ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980112022111.006be6f0@pop.erols.com> Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 02:21:11 -0500 From: Christopher Spangler Subject: TMBG: this-n-that Adam (and the rest of the list...)-- Like a total idiot, I missed SNL. And nobody has mentioned which song they played...if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say it was probably "Brick"...was it? As for the list being bad, _please_ be thankful that Spinelli (of the newsgroup) hasn't found it yet. Really. Still slightly off-subject... I got both BF5's Naked Baby Pictures and BNL's Rock Spectacle recently. BF5's effort is not impressive to me, but I'm betting dollars to doughnuts that it will grow on me and become an invaluable part of my collection, just the same. They're coming to my town (DC) in February to play the 9:30 Club, so I'm down with that, yo. Might even wear myself a fanny-pack. Cannot _wait_ to hear Brick, Kate, and Steven's Last Night in Town live. :-) BNL's live CD, however, kicks ass in a major way. I can't get it out of my car player, even for They. I usually don't like live stuff, but this is _great_. Okay, back on-subject... In the last two weeks, I've found two They singles actually sitting in the bins at a couple of larger music retailers around here. I found S-E-X-X-Y in Borders Books and Music, and WDTSS in Best Buy. What other singles and EP's am I apt to find sitting in bins? Or were these two just a complete fluke? End. --Chris "my favorite group is Ben Folds Barenaked Giants" Spangler >Oh, come on! :) I don't remember the list ever being this bad, and I've >been on for a year-and-a-half or so. When there's nothing TMBG to talk >about, we make up stuff. Fandom will find a way... > >OK, I know there are a lot of BFF fans here...what did you think of the SNL >performance? One song, and it wasn't even performed too well. :( > >BTW, I got the new BFF CD yesterday. It's worth getting if you're a fan, >but it's not a good place for a new fan to start. Also, I think it really >drags near the end...but that's just MHO. > >TTYL, > >-Adam > > ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 03:20:13 -0500 (EST) From: 99 and 44/100% MIKe! Subject: TMBG: Other records Message-ID: A friend of mine got me a sealed vinyl pressing of Lincoln for Christmas, so I am very happy even though I cannot play it. Even though I have it twice on CD, I would love to hear it on vinyl but I will hold off until I come across an open copy. As it happens I have not only not listened to Lincoln recently, but I have not played any of TMBG's records in the past couple of weeks. I dearly love them still, but in my life I have kind of focussed on their music in ways that kept me from listening to many of the records I have collected over the years, and I am interested now in striking a balance. I have paid my dues as a TMBG fan, and I think John and John would want me to place their collected output within a larger musical context in my life. (Which recently gained the addition of a little band called Blur - a most excellent outfit). So here are the vinyl platters that I have been spinning recently, all most highly recommended: XTC: 3D EP - 1977 White Music - 1978 Drums And Wires - 1979 Black Sea - 1980 XTC has been a long time favourite of mine, as I am a gigantic TMBG-sized fan of records such as English Settlement, Skylarking, Oranges and Lemons, Nonsuch, and Black Sea, but I had never given the proper attention to White Music and Drums and Wires. D&W stands out for never having a dull moment, and in many ways represents fully what makes XTC great. And of course, Black Sea just kicks so much ass. The CD of White Music contains the three songs that comprise the 3D EP, which is fun but sort of stark and skeletal - I got the mint condition record for a couple of bucks a few years ago. "Dance Band" would be my favourite off of it. Elvis Costello: Armed Forces - 1978 Punch The Clock - 1983 I had these records for years without ever listening to them. I got Punch The Clock for free at a used record shop by simply asking how much it was. Side two is marred by a side-long scratch but it is not enough to dull the excellence of the music. It is a slicker record than Armed Forces, which is my favourite of the two. The Police: Zenyatta Mondatta - 1980 Sting sucks so hard now that it is incredible to listen to this amazing record and believe that the frontman is the same guy who produces the Phil Collins-esque pap that he passes off as music these days. I can't get Canary In A Coal Mine out of my head. The Andy Summers/Stewart Copeland instrumentals are cool too. Thompson Twins: A Product Of... - 1981 Well, this one I have on tape, actually, but I have the followup, In The Name Of Love (1982) on vinyl, and they're both really quite inventive and interesting. I hated this record when I first listened to it back in the mid 80s after really digging Into The Gap - I was disappointed that it was not remotely in the same vein. Now, of course, in the fullness of time, I realise this is where its strength lies. The original incarnation of Thompson Twins was a far cry from the slick pop superstar trio of 1984 and beyond - back in the early 80s they were a seven member outfit making intriguing XTC-esque music, with tribal chanting and exploration of many odd musical styles thrown in for good measure. Even when they became the three member iconic Thompson Twins, they put out one good record, Side Kicks, but A Product Of... is still the best I think. It was also released as A Product Of Participation. Thomas Dolby is present on their second record. David Bowie: Changesonebowie - 1976 I have Changestwo as well, from 1981, and it sort of doesn't seem as good, though I keep pulling it out to hear Ashes To Ashes. Changesone is kick ass from beginning to end, and I have a new appreciation for Bowie's music which even now, on this 22 year old Best-of compilation, is vital and fresh. This, along with the killer first three tracks off of Modern Love (1983) is vintage Bowie, albeit the sort of "commercial" Bowie in a way, the released singles if you will, but great music nonetheless. It's a great combination of British pop, American rock and funk influences, and resonant lyrics filtered through Bowie's seductive voice...well, it was great fun listening to this and I now plan to finally spin the copy of Hunky Dory (1972 I think) I picked up for a dollar a few years ago. And I have to get his Eno collaborations as well. How could I have ignored this powerful musical legacy for so long??? (I also tried to listen to a record by the Australian band SPK called Gold And Poison (1987) that I picked up for a dollar, but aside from one song, a nice angry industrial dirge called Sheer Naked Agression, the rest is unbelievably awful, unlistenable shite. Sometimes I do strike out I guess. Beware of this record if you stumble across it and mistake it for something potentially good.) As you can see I have been mining the fertile musical ground of the late 70s and early 80s and finding enduring music that kind of puts most current bands to shame (except TMBG of course, who I think make songs now that sometimes sound like stuff off of Costello's Armed Forces - in a great way of course!). And I haven't even made mention of The Specials, The English Beat, The Clash, Talking Heads, Gary Numan, Joy Division/New Order, Yello, Art Of Noise...and a bunch of other artists I am forgetting about. It's been a lot of fun to immerse myself in the music of this now-long ago era, but really, is 20 years such a long time? If so, I can't quite figure how music such as this would seem so contemporary and fresh to my young ears in the 90s -- but gee! Maybe it's because all of this forms the cornerstone of modern pop music and at the same time represents a wonderful era of youthful creative freedom. After all, TMBG's very influentual Lincoln is, this year, a ten year old record -- but only sounds more urgent and necessary with every passing year. We're lucky - TMBG are still around, XTC have a new record coming out this year, and, well, we can listen to those great old Police records whenever one of Sting's sappy adult-contemporary twaddle invades our airspace. Long live vinyl, and the great sound of great drumming recorded on analog equipment! MIKe *TMBG Info Club ID No: 18902* THE COOLEST PLACE TO BE - Mr Flippy's Red Light Funtime Party Hour --->http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy<--- AND: Check out the webzine JournalX at www.journalx.com Want to be on my short story mailing list? Just tell me so. *-----------------------------* Food processors are great. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980112071619.006b5f3c@pop.indy.net> Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 07:16:19 -0500 From: Rachel Subject: Re: TMBG: Well at least we have had some discussion At 10:27 PM 1/11/98 -0600, you wrote: >I felt very sad yesterday when the only mail I recieved was from myself. >But I was happy today cause I heard THEM on the radio!!!! Granted it was >the radio-friendly "Istanbul" but it was still preceeded by John and John >saying "Hello this is John and John of They Might Be Giants and your >listening to Q101." The song made me miss the concert. It's only been 2 1/2 >months since I saw them and I'm already having withdrawals. Anyone else? talk about withdrawals, last time i saw tmbg was also in october, in cincinatti. i missed them as soon as it was over. i was going to go see them in chicago too but i was totally dead tired. before the show i was really excited about the possibility of seeing them 2 or 3 times in one weekend. but i'm incredibly out of shape, so it just wasn't a reachable goal for me. tmbg concerts are more than just great music, they're a workout! :) -rachel ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 13:37:44 -0500 Subject: TMBG: You think THAT'S wierd? Message-ID: <19980111.133745.16446.0.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Many people are complaining right now because they dind't receive very much mail for the past few days. But something REALLY wierd happened to me 2 days ago. I hadn't checked the list since early November and I checked for the first time expecting to get multiple hundreds of messages. However, when I checked all I got was 6 "Juno Special Offers." I freaked out because I had never unsubscribed from the list and there was absolutely no explanation for this. But just to get caught up I visited the archives on tmbg.org. That page is way too big and takes a long time. Oh well, no use complaining now! I'M SO GLAD TO BE BACK!!! I'm sure none of you remember me, but I missed eacha and every one of you!! I love you all!!!! :-) Your psychotically deranged yet friendly pal, Evan ############################################# "We were once so close to heaven Peter came out and gave us medals Declaring us the nicest of the damned" -John Flansburgh of They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980112084235.006a0f10@130.127.28.14> Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 08:42:35 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: this-n-that At 02:21 AM 1/12/98 -0500, you wrote: > >Adam (and the rest of the list...)-- > >Like a total idiot, I missed SNL. And nobody has mentioned which song they >played...if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say it was probably "Brick"...was it? Yup. "Brick" was it, and it wasn't a very good performance either. They were going to play "1 Angry Dwarf...", but I think Ben was sick or something. >As for the list being bad, _please_ be thankful that Spinelli (of the >newsgroup) hasn't found it yet. Really. LOL! I wonder how many "I really am leaving!" messages Spinelli will post before finally disappearing... >I got both BF5's Naked Baby Pictures and BNL's Rock Spectacle recently. >BF5's effort is not impressive to me, but I'm betting dollars to doughnuts >that it will grow on me and become an invaluable part of my collection, I feel the same way. There are some excellent songs on there, but it didn't grab me like their first 2 albums. >BNL's live CD, however, kicks ass in a major way. I can't get it out of my >car player, even for They. I usually don't like live stuff, but this is >_great_. It really is an excellent album. I wish that it had been a double CD, or at least had all the multimedia content on a different CD, leaving room for more songs. 11's just not enough, IMO. >Okay, back on-subject... > >In the last two weeks, I've found two They singles actually sitting in the >bins at a couple of larger music retailers around here. I found S-E-X-X-Y >in Borders Books and Music, and WDTSS in Best Buy. What other singles and >EP's am I apt to find sitting in bins? Or were these two just a complete >fluke? Those are the easiest ones to find. :( In fact, those are the only singles I've found in bins...the rest I've had to special order. TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 07:11:32 -0700 Subject: TMBG: random stuff Message-ID: <19980112.071801.11390.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) hEY HEy! >Well, John and John might not be doing too much lately, I recently got my >world tour 2040 t-shirt and S-E-X-X-Y single that I ordered in september. >Maybe they're catching up on their mail? you guys act like J&J do all this stuff personally... >Mr. Flippy's Red Light Funtime Party Hour - hehee, i won two free CD's from KTCL (a local radio station) thanks to this site and they never even knew it! :) and now all this talk of donald duck and minnie mouse is gonna win me some more :) >It's only been 2 1/2 >months since I saw them and I'm already having withdrawals. Anyone else? oh poor baby... let's see it's only been 8 months since i last saw them (5/3/97) and i had to drive like 8 hours (one way) just to get to that show. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ***BRING ON DA CHEESE!!! BRONCONS ROCK DA HOUSE!!*** ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 09:46:22 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Well at least we have had some discussion Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 11-Jan-98 TMBG: Well at least we have.. by "The Cowans"@mail.netnit > listening to Q101." The song made me miss the concert. It's only been 2 1/2 > months since I saw them and I'm already having withdrawals. Anyone else? you're not the only one. :) it's been less than a month for me, after seeing them on average every two weeks from September through December... and the tour dates page has been updated but is blank. that is to say, they've taken off the old, obsolete tour dates, but haven't put up any new ones yet. they'd better come to within 4 hours of Pittsburgh or DC. and so far, I've been unable to find anything on the Ticketmaster, Pollstar, or 9:30 Club web sites... ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 15:03:31 +0000 (GMT) From: "D. Robertson" Subject: TMBG: Q Magazine Message-ID: In this months issue of Q Magazine (the one about the top 100 albums, and don't get excited because I've mentioned that) they review the re-released Supergrass Album, I should Coco. At the bottom of the review they had a box-out stating "If you like these you might like to try" where they mentioned "The Monkees - The Monkees", "Ash - 1977" and "they Might Be Giants - Lincoln". Personally, while it's nice for TMBG to get a plug, I don't feel that it's really appropriate to list a TMBG album in general as being like Supergrass or even Lincoln in particular. Lincoln, to me at any rate, is quite a slow album, not as 'poppy', if you'll excuse the expression, as most of their stuff. Ah well, this'll be another Thread that dies. If you want to listen to a Brit band who are like TMBG then listen to David Devant & His Spirit Wife. ANd they've got one of the best stage shows ever. yours, __________________________________________________________________ The Internet equivalent of a hangover, only not quite as good. Flumcake On-line: http://www.york.ac.uk/~dr109/flumcake Channel F: http://www.york.ac.uk/~dr109/channelf ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 10:24:01 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <199801121524.KAA20303@mail3.uts.ohio-state.edu> From: salien Subject: TMBG: easily available singles >>Okay, back on-subject... >> >>In the last two weeks, I've found two They singles actually sitting in the >>bins at a couple of larger music retailers around here. I found S-E-X-X-Y >>in Borders Books and Music, and WDTSS in Best Buy. What other singles and >>EP's am I apt to find sitting in bins? Or were these two just a complete >>fluke? > >Those are the easiest ones to find. :( In fact, those are the only >singles I've found in bins...the rest I've had to special order. > I've been able to find Back to Skull pretty easily, in addition to S-E-X-X-Y and WDTSS... Those are the only TMBG singles I've ever seen for sale at any music store. Salien 'The film starts, the film ends. And nothing is said in between. Just stolen moments from someone else's story Will it ever be the same again?' -Leftfield, 'Original' ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9801121515.AA04167@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: music bins Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 10:15:12 -0500 (EST) > >In the last two weeks, I've found two They singles actually sitting in the > >bins at a couple of larger music retailers around here. I found S-E-X-X-Y > >in Borders Books and Music, and WDTSS in Best Buy. What other singles and > >EP's am I apt to find sitting in bins? Or were these two just a complete > >fluke? > Hi, Well, you're generally likely to find those in the large music retailer stores if indeed you find any TMBG singles at all. Some of the smaller stores around here have been known to sell Istanbul, The Guitar, SEXXY, WDTSS, I Palindrome I, Don't Let's Start, They'll Need a Crane, O'Tannenbaum 7", WDTSS 7", Snail Shell, Back to Skull. Istanbul, WDTSS, Back to Skull, and SEXXY are by far the most common, though. Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19980112103606.00905280@email.uc.edu> Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 10:40:46 -0500 From: Heather Garver Subject: Re: TMBG: easily available singles At 10:24 AM 1/12/98 -0500, you wrote: >>>Okay, back on-subject... >>> >>>In the last two weeks, I've found two They singles actually sitting in the >>>bins at a couple of larger music retailers around here. I found S-E-X-X-Y >>>in Borders Books and Music, and WDTSS in Best Buy. What other singles and >>>EP's am I apt to find sitting in bins? Or were these two just a complete >>>fluke? >> >>Those are the easiest ones to find. :( In fact, those are the only >>singles I've found in bins...the rest I've had to special order. >> > >I've been able to find Back to Skull pretty easily, in addition to S-E-X-X-Y >and WDTSS... Those are the only TMBG singles I've ever seen for sale at any >music store. > I've seen O' Tannenbaum at a few stores. Your best bet to find the older singles is to check the used record stores. I found a nice vinyl copy of (She was a)Hotel Detective that way. Heather Garver garverhl@email.uc.edu http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Club/4141 (32 Footsteps) "They say we are out of furniture..."--TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 10:40:38 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: this-n-that Message-ID: <19980112.131945.8438.0.yoda89@juno.com> From: yoda89@juno.com (James C Stiffey) >BNL's live CD, however, kicks ass in a major way. I can't get it out >of my >car player, even for They. I usually don't like live stuff, but this >is >_great_. I have to agree wholeheartedly. I too purchased BNL's Rock Spectale and loved it. I think some of the songs are even better then their studio counterparts. Also, the Uncle Elwyn song at the end of the cd is halarious. >Okay, back on-subject... > >In the last two weeks, I've found two They singles actually sitting in >the >bins at a couple of larger music retailers around here. I found >S-E-X-X-Y >in Borders Books and Music, and WDTSS in Best Buy. What other singles >and >EP's am I apt to find sitting in bins? Or were these two just a >complete >fluke? > It wasn't a fluke, I have seen the same two singles from various chain stores. I still have not seen anything else in the major stores, if you are looking for the other singles I suggest going through mail order, or a indy/true alternative dealer. > Jim May The Force Be With You You know the little engine that could? He was a pu$$y! Don't Think. Know !!!! ------------------------------ From: Monotreme3 Message-ID: <38f07074.34ba5964@aol.com> Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 12:56:51 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: easily available singles Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) One neat thing is that one or two weeks after the first time I'd EVER heard TMBG (I'd become a loyal fan almost immediately after I got over hearing Jacob singing them in 7th grade english class.), I was visiting New York City and found Istanbul, Not Constantinople and The Guitar singles in a Tower Records there. It was awesome. That was the same trip that my TMBG mix tape that Jacob had made me got stolen in our car (along with my pillow), so at that point those were the only TMBG things I had. Since then, I've often heard about how hard those are to find. They were the last copies, so I guess I just got lucky. As for the other singles I have (SEXXY, WDTSS, and Back to Skull), those were all the last ones at the stores I got them. Eerie. -Carye. I did it on purpose. Maybe. ------------------------------ From: Shaft137 Message-ID: <2609b6f9.34ba5e07@aol.com> Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 13:16:39 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: random stuff Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) hi. here's my two cents. enjoy. >Well, John and John might not be doing too much lately, I recently got my >world tour 2040 t-shirt and S-E-X-X-Y single that I ordered in september. >Maybe they're catching up on their mail? <> when i got my stuff from the cataloge, i told my brother that the hand-written form that came with it was actually done by the johns. kids are so stupid. as for singles, i have found every TMBG single at the Cherry Hill Tower Records (as well as that 6 song Live In NYC disk). maybe it's just a jersey thing i don't know. however, what i can't find is XTC's 25 O'Clock on CD. the vinyl copy i found in my parents record collection is sooooo beat up. and flansy's space ghost apperance was a no. i'm pretty sure they were both repeats, but have faith. that's all i can think about. the end. adam schaaf, sinking like the titanic on the sea of cheese. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34BA6A5B.55D5@geocities.com> Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 11:09:15 -0800 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: TMBG: More important inactivity... I've noticed that, with all of this wonderful TMBG-related activity on the List, I have not heard one word from the OMLT Goddess. I'm getting nervous. Christi, where are you? -Vlad, without a sig today ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980112151430.00922980@csrlink.net> Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 15:14:30 -0500 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: Re: TMBG: More important inactivity... At 11:09 AM 1/12/98 -0800, you wrote: >I've noticed that, with all of this wonderful TMBG-related >activity on the List, I have not heard one word from the OMLT Goddess. >I'm getting nervous. Christi, where are you? > Yes, speaking of this, my dad asked me about an uncashed check yesterday. It was my OMLT check, of course. It had been my understanding that they'd been cashed a while back. Oh well, didn't really bother me. Also, when the volume on the list picks up, it really picks up! Say it with me people. "Moderation...Moderation" Dylan "Turning 16 tomorrow, and gonna get his license just so he can visit Mike Leffell" Flipse Dylan Flipse...one of them. - dflipse@csrlink.net Dylan's page is at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ for now. I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed -They Might Be Giants, the coolest thing this side of Zaphod Beeblebrox. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 15:26:02 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: Other records Message-ID: Oh, wow. I too have been getting into music from the late 70's and early 80's, and Mike's little list of the stuff he's been listening to besides TMBG is very much like my own. I discovered Elvis Costello over the summer, and am now buying his CD's like they were food and I'd starve without them. I recently bought _Armed Forces_, and it is my favorite so far, but I still like _This Years Model_ (the cover is the Best Album Cover Ever, so far as I'm concerned). I got _Get Happy_ and _Almost Blue_ for Hannuka, and have yet to get "Clown Time is Over" out of my head. I will contradict Mike here a bit and say that I think _Get Happy_ is more TMBGish than _Armed Forces_, despite the Motown aspect (Meaning of course, that I see aspects of it more in TMBG's music than the other. Not that EC is TMBGish). I also found something called...uh...I forget what it's called but it's all of EC's b-sides on vinyl, but I can't listen to it because I don't have a record player. That and I can't find anything on vinyl because the record stores in Indiana suck. I'll have to wait until Spring Break when I'm in New York before I get anything cool. Over the winter break I also discovered a little compilation called _This are Two Tone_, which features music by all of the bands that were on the Two Tone label. This music represents the formative years of Ska, but still has a strong reggae feeling to it. I then got The Specials for Hannuka as well, and it rocks. I'm now on the look out for The Selecter and Madness (I had a Madness CD once. Then I sold it. Why? Why?) but probably will never find them in this God-forsaken state. I also love XTC, and feel that _Black Sea_ is their best album (that I have, anyway.) I just love "Towers of London." I like _Skylarking_, love _English Settlement_ and _Oranges and Lemons_. I should receive _Drums and Wires_ soon (along with EC's _My Aim is True_) and can't wait to listen to it. More fun stuff: I'm telling you, this time period (especially 1975-85) is full of good music, and chances are, if you are a TMBG fan, you'll go for a lot of it. Right now I'm looking into Talking Heads (can't really find any of the early stuff here), B-52's (heard "Rocklobster" on the radio (?!) for the first time, and it was so cool.), Men at Work, and am trying to expand my Joy Division collection beyond _Substance_ and the one with the test pattern on the cover. I love TMBG, but once you've listened to everything twenty-million times, you need to move on. Well, maybe you don't, but I do. I can't wait until they release a new album, though, and they'll always be my favorite... Stefanie Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://php.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Conan O'Brien, Sound God! http://php.indiana.edu/~smelliot/conan.html "And you may ask yourself, where does that highway go? And you may ask yourself, am I right? Am I wrong?" -Talking Heads, "Once in a Lifetime" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34BA8D54.4D76@rica.net> Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 16:38:28 -0500 From: Joey Groah Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Other records > Oh, wow. I too have been getting into music from the late 70's and early > 80's, and Mike's little list of the stuff he's been listening to besides > TMBG is very much like my own. I discovered Elvis Costello over the > summer, and am now buying his CD's like they were food and I'd starve > without them. I recently bought _Armed Forces_, and it is my favorite so > far, but I still like _This Years Model_ (the cover is the Best Album > Cover Ever, so far as I'm concerned). I got _Get Happy_ and _Almost Blue_ > for Hannuka, and have yet to get "Clown Time is Over" out of my head. I > will contradict Mike here a bit and say that I think _Get Happy_ is more > TMBGish than _Armed Forces_, despite the Motown aspect (Meaning of > course, that I see aspects of it more in TMBG's music than the other. > Not that EC is TMBGish). I also found something called...uh...I forget > what it's called but it's all of EC's b-sides on vinyl, but I can't listen > to it because I don't have a record player. That and I can't find > anything on vinyl because the record stores in Indiana suck. I'll have to > wait until Spring Break when I'm in New York before I get anything cool. > > Stefanie Elliott Elvis is a lot of fun. I like his old stuff just as well as his newer stuff. He's always reliable, like TMBG. My Man or Astro-man? collection expanded over Christmas, and I got a taste of the Pixies, which I found enjoyable and different. Non music: Anybody listen to Car Talk? They have produced three very good albums: The Best of Car Talk; The Second Best of Car Talk; and Men are from Ford, Women are from GM. Give um' a try if you spot them in someone's collection or tune in Saturday morning's on your local NPR station. Perhaps AKA Driver will be used as bumper music some day... Joey, shill for Click and Clack, back in school and tired again ------------------------------ From: NitpickR Message-ID: Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 18:09:25 EST Subject: Re: Re: NON TMBG: Other records and other crap Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) Hello 41- In a message dated 1/12/98 9:45:52 PM, you wrote: <> Yes, finally something that hasn't really been talked about around here. Car Talk is a wonderful show. Read their books, listen to their show and get wise(er) about your car. It's amazing how much there is to know. Posting- Just because there haven't been many posts lately is NOT a reason to post. Trust me. Adam ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 12 Jan 98 18:33 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: You think THAT'S wierd? > I'M SO GLAD TO BE BACK!!! I'm sure none of you remember me, but I >missed eacha and every one of you!! I love you all!!!! :-) Welcome back, Evan! {{Hugs all around}} Kirsten -- "That's the official rock thing, to speak for a generation, and since we've completely failed to do that, we're willing to speak for ourselves." - John Flansburgh, TMBG. *kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu*Kirsten Brodbeck*AKA Crow* ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 18:48:52 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: More important inactivity... Message-ID: <19980112.184853.8574.2.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) On Mon, 12 Jan 1998 11:09:15 -0800 Vladimir Drakul writes: >I've noticed that, with all of this wonderful TMBG-related >activity on the List, I have not heard one word from the OMLT Goddess. > >I'm getting nervous. Christi, where are you? I was lucky enough to find Christi on my aol IMer and we actually had a real-time conversation! Oh, technology is overwhelming me. Anyway, she says something to the effect of that she wants to begin production soon but she needs to find a program that will create it with all the colors instead of a few selective colors. She assured me that it is still going to happen and she will keep us all updated. THANK YOU CHRISTI! YOU'RE WONDERFUL!!! BTW if anyone is interested, my aol IMer screen name is 'evankleve' Original, huh? :-) Your psychotically deranged yet friendly pal, Evan ############################################# "We were once so close to heaven Peter came out and gave us medals Declaring us the nicest of the damned" -John Flansburgh of They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 19:28:50 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Naked? Message-ID: <19980112.195215.4422.2.Mr.Train@juno.com> On Mon, 12 Jan 1998 02:21:11 -0500 Christopher Spangler writes: > >Adam (and the rest of the list...)-- > >Like a total idiot, I missed SNL. And nobody has mentioned which song >they played...if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say it was probably "Brick"...was it? I taped it... I haven't watched it yet... I'm guessing it was One Angry Dwarf... becuase hey... national TV... a song to the people you went to school with... they are probably watching... I also love watching Ben's hands FLY during the piano solo!! He is the BEST I have ever seen >As for the list being bad, _please_ be thankful that Spinelli (of the >newsgroup) hasn't found it yet. Really. Why? Who is this? >Still slightly off-subject... > >I got both BF5's Naked Baby Pictures and BNL's Rock Spectacle >recently. BF5's effort is not impressive to me, but I'm betting dollars to >doughnuts that it will grow on me and become an invaluable part of my >collection, just the same. They're coming to my town (DC) in February to play the >9:30 Club, so I'm down with that, yo. Might even wear myself a fanny-pack. >Cannot _wait_ to hear Brick, Kate, and Steven's Last Night in Town >live. :-) > <> What? Naked Baby Pictures? What is this? I didn't hear about a NEW album and I only knew about the S/T before that, what is this? Tim, he bemoaned a great regret Last CD Purchase: Stray Cats "LIVE! ON THE TILES!" (I AM NOT ASHAMED!!!) ($6.99 at Circuit City!) Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: The Guitar ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980112204748.006a33b4@130.127.28.14> Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 20:47:48 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Ben Folds Five / TMBG live MP3 At 07:28 PM 1/12/98 -0500, you wrote: > >I taped it... I haven't watched it yet... I'm guessing it was One Angry >Dwarf... becuase hey... national TV... a song to the people you went to >school with... they are probably watching... I also love watching Ben's >hands FLY during the piano solo!! He is the BEST I have ever seen Unfortunately, just "Brick", and not even that great a performance. >Why? Who is this? Spinelli was a person on amt who seemed to respond to -every single post- and posted lots of off-topic, one line messages. Incredibly annoying. >What? Naked Baby Pictures? What is this? I didn't hear about a NEW album >and I only knew about the S/T before that, what is this? Naked Baby Photos (to be exact) is a collection of live material, b-sides, and outtakes. Now, some TMBG content! @whee! I uploaded a copy of the Famous Polka from 8/2/92 to ftp://ftp.ccom.net/incoming/famouspolka-8292.mp3 I might put some more up later. I only brought a couple of bootlegs with me, but if you have any requests, I'll see what I can do. :) TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 00:47:50 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19980113004511.1af7e822@mail.connection.com> From: "The Famous Mr. Klaw" Subject: TMBG: More Mono Puff Stuff Hello everyone I'm writing to let you all know that there have been some changes made to the Mono Puff web page, and that Mono Puff is going to be performing at the Mercury Lounge in New York City on February 5, 1998. If you're lucky enough to go, tell me all about it so I can at least enjoy the show vicariously through you. Also, for those of you who remember, I'm still working on updating the Mono Puff FAQ, but I need more questions. If you have any questions about the band, or their music, please email them to me. Alex ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-377 ******************************