Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-378 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 378 Wednesday, 14 January 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: this-n-that, revisited Re: TMBG: this-n-that, revisited Re: TMBG: Where is everyone? TMBG: since when? Re: TMBG: since when? Re: TMBG: since when? Re: TMBG: since when? TMBG: trains (was: since when?) Re: TMBG: since when? Re: TMBG: since when? Re: TMBG: since when? TMBG: driving TMBG: car references (cont.) TMBG: planes, trains and automobiles... Re: TMBG: since when? TMBG: singles Re: TMBG: planes, trains and automobiles... Re: TMBG: planes, trains and automobiles... non-TMBG: BFF, SNL Re: non-TMBG: BFF, SNL TMBG: Cars Re: TMBG: planes, trains and automobiles... Re: TMBG: planes, trains and automobiles... and food!?!?!? Fwd: TMBG: planes, trains and automobiles... Re: TMBG: planes, trains and automobiles... Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980113111337.006cec98@pop.erols.com> Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 11:13:37 -0500 From: Christopher Spangler Subject: TMBG: this-n-that, revisited Hey all-- Thanks for the info on singles and EP's. Yeah, I know ordering them would be the easiest way to go, but then again it's so much _fun_ to hunt through used CD and vinyl stores looking for these things! :-) The one that I'm not really interested in waiting for is Live in NY; is it still available by special order through retailers, or am I better off begging everybody in my address book to hunt through their local used CD store? What's the best bet? Failing that, I've got some blanks that I'd be happy to pay postage both ways for if someone would be kind enough to burn them for me? Please? Pretty please? Sorry, nothing to trade... Re: Naked Baby _Photos_. I stand, sheepishly, corrected. But "pictures" _does_ sound better! >>BNL's live CD, however, kicks ass in a major way. I can't get it out of my >>car player, even for They. I usually don't like live stuff, but this is >>_great_. > >It really is an excellent album. I wish that it had been a double CD, or >at least had all the multimedia content on a different CD, leaving room for >more songs. 11's just not enough, IMO. Have the Johns ever expressed why they don't put MM stuff on their CDs? I mean, except for Then:, They _never_ fill up CDs... --Chris "Five Barenaked Giants...yeah, that's it..." Spangler ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980113113920.006a8fb0@130.127.28.14> Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 11:39:20 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: this-n-that, revisited At 11:13 AM 1/13/98 -0500, you wrote: >Hey all-- > >Thanks for the info on singles and EP's. Yeah, I know ordering them would >be the easiest way to go, but then again it's so much _fun_ to hunt through >used CD and vinyl stores looking for these things! :-) It's definitely a lot of fun searching through bins...I've come across a lot of cool stuff that way, including a brand new "Unsupervised" for $5 a couple years back. >The one that I'm not really interested in waiting for is Live in NY; is it >still available by special order through retailers, or am I better off >begging everybody in my address book to hunt through their local used CD >store? What's the best bet? The 6 song EP is really easy to find. As for the whole thing...it's pretty tough. Try calling up your local radio stations and ask if they have a copy...they've all probably been stolen by now, but it couldn't hurt to ask. :) I got mine a year ago for $33 from a place in California called Mod Lang. >Re: Naked Baby _Photos_. I stand, sheepishly, corrected. But "pictures" >_does_ sound better! I agree. I also liked the original name, "This Is Not The Third Album". >Have the Johns ever expressed why they don't put MM stuff on their CDs? I >mean, except for Then:, They _never_ fill up CDs... They definitely need to do something, on their next EP if nothing else. Actually, I'd kind of prefer a multimedia EP just because more stuff could fit on there. TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 12:15:49 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Where is everyone? Message-ID: <19980113.121552.7006.0.johnhenry5@juno.com> From: johnhenry5@juno.com (Andy Nich0ls) On Sun, 11 Jan 1998 10:15:46 -0700 (MST) J Kuemmerle writes: >On Sat, 10 Jan 1998, The Cowans wrote: > >> Did everyone vanish? I haven't gotten any mail today and I only got >3 >> messages yesterday. Is something wrong with the list server? > >i have two words: > >winter... > >break... > >i have another two words: > >fear... > >not... > Two words: Ice... Storm... Two more words: No... Power.... Any questions? ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 09:37:31 -1000 From: Marc Myer Subject: TMBG: since when? You're having TMBG concert withdrawl? Try this. Move to Hawaii. They came but twice, 1991 and 1994. That's all. And before you feel sorry for me, think of our poor Euro-and Auastralo-friends who may never be able to attend. I weep. But wait! The Car thread. Car Talk is my favorite radio show, (okay Dr, Laura is up there too) and it's just a matter of time until They are featured by the two mighty greasy-palmed Bostonians, Tom and Ray. Remember Jamie Kitman? He not only manages They, but he also writes for Automobile and did that cool article last summer. They are Ford men. And how many TMBG songs centre on automotive themes? Anyone? Anyone? ------------------------------ From: "Mr. Me" Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 15:15:55 CST Subject: Re: TMBG: since when? Message-ID: <122E234372E@athena.valpo.edu> &They are Ford men. &And how many TMBG songs centre on automotive themes? &Anyone? Anyone? & boat of car and aka driver are the only ones i can think of. there's a bus in nyc, and a trailer in everything that's right is wrong again, but i don't see any huge tmbg trend to write about cars. wait, a taxi in destination moon too. anyone remember the thread about tmbg references in men in black? i finally saw the movie, and all i could remember was the saucers from the 64 world's fair. unless someone is sure that the references are bona fide, however, please don't revive the thread. if they're not there on purpose, then it's just coincidence and not really tmbg related. jer [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "Cartman, you couldn't tell the difference between a rain forest and a pop tart!! "Yeah I can, a pop tart's frosted." --Comedy central's "South Park" [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: Web: http://www.valpo.edu/home/student/jskrenes 141 Wehrenberg Airwaves: Sunday nights, 12-2am 95.1, WVUR Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 13:34:46 -0800 (PST) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: since when? Message-ID: On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, Mr. Me wrote: > boat of car and aka driver are the only ones i can think of. there's > a bus in nyc, and a trailer in everything that's right is wrong > again, but i don't see any huge tmbg trend to write about cars. > wait, a taxi in destination moon too. How 'bout Thermostat: "When the indicator says you're out of oil should you continue driving anyway?" -Lani O:) Member of the OFFICIAL Sludge Fan Club since 1997 a.butterfly@bigfoot.com http://www.geocities.com/~abutterfly/ ________________________________________________________________ "...there is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so." -Hamlet ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 14:39:51 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: since when? Message-ID: On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, Marc Myer wrote: > And how many TMBG songs centre on automotive themes? > Anyone? Anyone? to the aforementioned nyc, eriwa, boat of car, destination moon, thermostat, and aka driver, add they got lost... on a similar note, there are trains in er... mrs. train... and turn around. those are the only ones that come immediately into my brain. are there any others? --jim kuemmerle, who is being patient and taking his time. j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 15:47:18 -0600 (CST) From: Kim Justice Subject: TMBG: trains (was: since when?) Message-ID: On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, J Kuemmerle wrote: > on a similar note, there are trains in er... mrs. train... and turn > around. those are the only ones that come immediately into my brain. are > there any others? Also in "It's not my birthday". If you count a subway as a kind of train, then "Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head". kj justicek@edge.net (Kim Justice) http://edge.edge.net/~justicek "Laura, could you be nicer?" "Sure -- oh, you mean 'to *you*!'" ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 13:46:49 -0800 (PST) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: since when? Message-ID: On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, 'Lani' N Olson wrote: > How 'bout Thermostat: "When the indicator says you're out of oil should > you continue driving anyway?" Oops, I hit "send" too soon... There are some kind of car references (though some are a bit of a stretch) in: End of the Tour Puppet Head (well, a car wash...) Hide Away Folk Family (a flat-bed, anyway) Toddler Highway (OK, it only mentions the parking lot filling up) Rabid Child (again, trucks) She's an Angel (the Shriners loaned us cars...) Alienation's for the Rich (drinkin' & drivin') I've Got a Match (get out of the car...) Road Movie to Berlin She's Actual Size Fingertips: Wreck my Car I Can Hear You (please bring your car around...) Kitten Intro OK, that's all I can think of off hand... :) -Lani O:) Member of the OFFICIAL Sludge Fan Club since 1997 a.butterfly@bigfoot.com http://www.geocities.com/~abutterfly/ ________________________________________________________________ "...there is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so." -Hamlet ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 13:49:36 -0800 (PST) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: since when? Message-ID: On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, J Kuemmerle wrote: > on a similar note, there are trains in er... mrs. train... and turn > around. those are the only ones that come immediately into my brain. are > there any others? The railroad track in Constellation... How 'bout planes? or space craft? There are lots of both. -Lani O:) Member of the OFFICIAL Sludge Fan Club since 1997 a.butterfly@bigfoot.com http://www.geocities.com/~abutterfly/ ________________________________________________________________ "...there is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so." -Hamlet ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9801132139.AA05052@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: since when? Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 16:39:02 -0500 (EST) > &They are Ford men. > &And how many TMBG songs centre on automotive themes? > &Anyone? Anyone? > & > boat of car and aka driver are the only ones i can think of. there's > a bus in nyc, and a trailer in everything that's right is wrong > again, but i don't see any huge tmbg trend to write about cars. > wait, a taxi in destination moon too. How about End of the Tour with the mention of driving on Interstate-91? Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9801132139.AA05060@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: driving Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 16:39:37 -0500 (EST) I also forgot to mention They Got Lost: "They Might Be Giants got lost driving around" -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19980113165314.006cd824@uky.campus.mci.net> Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 16:53:15 -0500 From: Bill J Kirby Subject: TMBG: car references (cont.) how about "A Self Called Nowhere"? -bk ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 15:10:13 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: planes, trains and automobiles... Message-ID: On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, 'Lani' N Olson wrote: > How 'bout planes? or space craft? There are lots of both. hmm... the plane w/out gas in shoehorn w teeth... the rocket to the moon in destination moon... my brain will kick out a few more here pretty shortly... as for cars, i just remembered 'summer breeze'... --jim kuemmerle, whose brain is busy cleaning house and is rather disorganized at the moment. j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ...not like it's ever actually been organized, mind you... ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 17:50:08 -0500 (EST) From: LN Subject: Re: TMBG: since when? Message-ID: On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, J Kuemmerle wrote: > on a similar note, there are trains in er... mrs. train... and turn > around. those are the only ones that come immediately into my brain. are > there any others? Well, See the Constellation, but that's railroad tracks.... -ellen g. > > --jim kuemmerle, who is being patient and taking his time. > > j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu > http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ > > "Exhausted from oversleep, awake but still in bed" ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19980113150043.006fb300@mailbox.ucdavis.edu> Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 15:01:06 -0800 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: singles >In the last two weeks, I've found two They singles actually sitting in the >bins at a couple of larger music retailers around here. I found S-E-X-X-Y >in Borders Books and Music, and WDTSS in Best Buy. What other singles and >EP's am I apt to find sitting in bins? Or were these two just a complete >fluke? Two of the music stores I frequent carry Istanbul (Not Constantinople) fairly regularly, which I *still* think is odd, considering I live in California. You might also be seeing Back To Skull, which was released between WDTSS? and SEXXY. I've never seen any other singles offered at small or large music stores, except for the one time I saw the DLS mini-disc at Tower (about 3 years ago, and yes, I got it.) >As it happens I have not only not >listened to Lincoln recently, but I have not played any of TMBG's records >in the past couple of weeks. I dearly love them still, but in my life I >have kind of focussed on their music in ways that kept me from listening >to many of the records I have collected over the years, and I am >interested now in striking a balance. I have paid my dues as a TMBG fan, >and I think John and John would want me to place their collected output >within a larger musical context in my life. I've been doing exactly the same thing. I've reached a point where I've memorized all the words, music, even drum beats to every TMBG song ever made. Lately I've been finding myself listening to the rest of my record collection... seeking out new territories, as it were. I'm exploring the worlds of a capella (Rockapella, Pow Wow, Mary Schmary), folk (Eddie From Ohio) and a few others (general weirdness, old and modern Celtic music), and finding lots to like. >>Mr. Flippy's Red Light Funtime Party Hour - >hehee, i won two free CD's from KTCL (a local radio station) thanks to >this site and they never even knew it! :) How? Do tell, this sounds interesting. :) >however, what i can't find is XTC's 25 O'Clock on CD. Really? I once found it easily, at Blockbuster Music, of all places (read: not known for their selection) but didn't buy it. > I'M SO GLAD TO BE BACK!!! I'm sure none of you remember me, but I >missed eacha and every one of you!! I love you all!!!! :-) I remember you, Evan. :) Hi. --nicole the wonder nerd *** "If it wasn't for disappointments, I wouldn't have any appointments."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn Public PGP key at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn/key.html ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 18:07:09 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <199801132307.SAA11467@mail3.uts.ohio-state.edu> From: salien Subject: Re: TMBG: planes, trains and automobiles... At 03:10 PM 1/13/98 -0700, you wrote: >On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, 'Lani' N Olson wrote: > >> How 'bout planes? or space craft? There are lots of both. > >hmm... the plane w/out gas in shoehorn w teeth... >the rocket to the moon in destination moon... > >my brain will kick out a few more here pretty shortly... > >as for cars, i just remembered 'summer breeze'... seems we've generalized to motorized transport in general... there's a spacecraft in for science, and the train or subway in token back to brooklyn... salien 'The film starts, the film ends. And nothing is said in between. Just stolen moments from someone else's story Will it ever be the same again?' -Leftfield, 'Original' ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 15:33:13 -0800 (PST) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: planes, trains and automobiles... Message-ID: On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, salien wrote: > seems we've generalized to motorized transport in general... there's a > spacecraft in for science, and the train or subway in token back to > brooklyn... We could make it even worse and add bikes: Dirt Bike Toddler Highway Narrow Your Eyes South Carolina etc... (Sorry.) -Lani O:) Member of the OFFICIAL Sludge Fan Club since 1997 a.butterfly@bigfoot.com http://www.geocities.com/~abutterfly/ ________________________________________________________________ "...there is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so." -Hamlet ------------------------------ From: Cajun Gram Message-ID: <643e2994.34bbff0f@aol.com> Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 18:55:57 EST Subject: non-TMBG: BFF, SNL Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) I'm reading a backlog of mail, so this has probably been answered, but they did play Brick. Only Brick. I felt really cheated that I stayed up to watch a rather unfunny SNL and only got one song. Also, I am really distraught that they replaced Norm MacDonald with Colin Quinn!!! Though, his Quintin Tarentino skit was kinda funny, but still, this is an OUTRAGE!!!!!! Graham "I feel like a quote out of context" Amsden ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 17:48:38 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: non-TMBG: BFF, SNL Message-ID: On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, Cajun Gram wrote: > Also, I am really distraught that > they replaced Norm MacDonald with Colin Quinn!!! really? i'd never much liked norm macdonald's work, myself. i take that back. he's been used to good effect in some sketches, but his weekend updates would just make me want to cry. he had no delivery, imho -- just the same face and the same voice for every line, like he was reading it off a teleprompter with no mental processing in between. oh, for the days of dennis miller, chevy chase, dan akroyd and jane curtin... even kevin nealon wasn't too bad... now, granted, i've not seen colin quinn yet -- maybe he's even worse... --i'm jim kuemmerle, and you're not. j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ From: Dr Worm X Message-ID: <76539c97.34bc0445@aol.com> Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 19:18:11 EST Subject: TMBG: Cars Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) in thermostat, pretty much the entire song is about a car. p.s. even though i've been on the list for a few months, this is my first official post Woo Hoo!!!! doc ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 18:15:27 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: planes, trains and automobiles... Message-ID: On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, 'Lani' N Olson wrote: > We could make it even worse and add bikes: > > Dirt Bike > Toddler Highway > Narrow Your Eyes > South Carolina > > etc... > > (Sorry.) think nothing of it!! as long as we're playing this fun game, how about food references? (explicit ones, not the puns on lani o's page)... i'll start: hot cha has the stereo on and cooking bacon. they might be giants might be frying up a stalk of wheat. rhythm section want ad has menudo. (okay, so they didn't really mean the food there. sosumi.) till my head falls off has the guy eating advil. (get your RDA of Vitamin I!!) don't lets start: wake up and smell the cat food in your bank account! fingertips: please pass the milk please. --jim kuemmerle, who hasn't mistaken cat food for people food since the age of three. at least as far as he knows. j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 21:39:11 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <199801140239.VAA19792@mail3.uts.ohio-state.edu> From: salien Subject: Re: TMBG: planes, trains and automobiles... and food!?!?!? >as long as we're playing this fun game, how about food references? >(explicit ones, not the puns on lani o's page)... > >i'll start: > >hot cha has the stereo on and cooking bacon. >they might be giants might be frying up a stalk of wheat. >rhythm section want ad has menudo. (okay, so they didn't really mean the > food there. sosumi.) >till my head falls off has the guy eating advil. (get your RDA of Vitamin > I!!) >don't lets start: wake up and smell the cat food in your bank account! >fingertips: please pass the milk please. how one goes from bikes to food i'm not really sure... but on that note, how could you bring up food and not mention dead? (: salien 'I know too many people unhappy In a life from which they'd love to flee. Watching others get everything offered they're wanton for discovery' -Sarah McLachlan, 'Circle' ------------------------------ From: ForScience Message-ID: <7bf29454.34bc2a51@aol.com> Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 22:00:31 EST Subject: Fwd: TMBG: planes, trains and automobiles... Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (message/rfc822)] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-378 ******************************