Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-379 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 379 Thursday, 15 January 1998 Today's Topics: Fwd: TMBG: planes, trains and automobiles... TMBG: mr flippy's red light funtime party hour TMBG: Non-TMBG - Long - 1970''s Rock Re-discovered Re: non-TMBG: BFF, SNL Re: TMBG: planes, trains and automobiles... and food!?!?!? NON-TMBG: Creepiness/BFF Re: TMBG: planes, trains and automobiles... Re: TMBG: planes, trains and automobiles... Re: non-TMBG: BFF, SNL TMBG: Singles? Where? Re: TMBG: Singles? Where? TMBG: very small OMLT message TMBG: Sorry to post, but I need Christy the shoe goddess Re: NON-TMBG: Creepiness/BFF, but TMBG! TMBG: RE: Non-TMBG Re: TMBG: RE: Non-TMBG Re: TMBG: RE: Non-TMBG Re: TMBG: RE: Non-TMBG Re: NON-TMBG: Creepiness/BFF, but TMBG! Re: NON-TMBG: Creepiness/BFF, but TMBG! Re: NON-TMBG: Creepiness/BFF, but TMBG! TMBG: Cars, hats, and stuff TMBG: Factory Sessions et all TMBG: Crud Re: TMBG: Factory Sessions et all TMBG: Re: Non-TMBG TMBG: New Mono Puff album! TMBG: it's a mad, mad, mad, mad, mad, mad worm!! Re: NON-TMBG: Creepiness/BFF, but TMBG! Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Strawbos69 Message-ID: Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 02:42:17 EST Subject: Fwd: TMBG: planes, trains and automobiles... Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) Doh! I somehow sent this the wrong way! *sigh* [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (message/rfc822)] ------------------------------ From: echuss@notes.cc.bellcore.com Message-ID: <8525658C.004C0168.00@notes950.cc.bellcore.com> Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 09:21:09 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Non-TMBG - Long - 1970''s Rock Re-discovered A few people mentioned that they are spending a little more time listening to music other than TMBG and that they were listening to 1970's music (David Bowie, Elvis Costello, etc.) I must confess, I too have been listening to music other than TMBG lately (so as not to completely play them out) and have been going back thru my older music. I realized that even back in the 1970's there was "alternative" music before there was such a catagory (at least it was "alternative" at the time). If you want to hear some really good music from the seventies and not just Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Eagles, etc. you might want to try these bands: 10cc - One of my all-time favorite groups. They are IMHO a lot of similarities betwen 10cc and TMBG (try to overlook the sappy pop songs - "The Things we do for Love" and "I'm not in Love"). I would recommend the CDs "How Dare You", which has the bizarre but great song "I Wanna Rule the World" and the song "Art For Art's Sake" which was included as part of the recent Bean movie soundtrack. The "Bloody Tourists" cd is also incredible with the songs "Rochdale to Ocho Rios" and the funy/serious "Anonymous Alcoholic" - in which the description of what your mouth feels like after a night of drinking is so true they say it twice ;) The 10cc CDs were recently re-issued with bonus tracks so you should be able to find them in any store. Klaatu - They're self-titled debut album is a classic. I was listening to a local PA radio station and the DJ played "Sub-rosa Subway" which blew me away. If you can find this album (I believe it only comes in vinyl) grab it - you'll be glad ya did. Devo - The first album is their best, "Are we not Men?" and their next two are not far behind "Duty Now For the Future" and "Freedom of Choice". These guys are incredible musicians with some half-serious but interesting lyrics. Joe Jackson - Can't say enough about him. First off, Graham Maby played (and still plays - I believe) bass for him. I saw Joe at last year's TMBG Nostolgia show in NYC - checking out his bassist's "other band". His early work from the late seventies is IMHO his best but almost everything he has done has some good on it. There are few other groups I could mention but I think this post is long enough. If you haven't lost interest at this point and would want to know about these other groups or would like to talk about these groups (like TMBG, I know VERY few people who listen to them) please feel free to email me. Erik Chuss PS - please don't ask how old I am - or put it this way I could be one of the John's twin brothers if twins could be born a year or two later. :-) "You're older than you've ever been and now your even older and now you're even older and now you're older stilllllll" ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 09:13:42 -0600 (CST) From: "Christopher M. Stangl" Subject: Re: non-TMBG: BFF, SNL Message-ID: On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, Cajun Gram wrote: > I'm reading a backlog of mail, so this has probably been answered, but they > did play Brick. Only Brick. I felt really cheated that I stayed up to watch a > rather unfunny SNL and only got one song. Also, I am really distraught that > they replaced Norm MacDonald with Colin Quinn!!! Though, his Quintin Tarentino > skit was kinda funny, but still, this is an OUTRAGE!!!!!! > Graham "I feel like a quote out of context" Amsden Glad they played "Brick". That's the only Ben Folds Three song that I can stand for more than 40 seconds. I have no idea why I put myself through the living hell of "Saturday Night Live" to watch a band I don't even like perform a song that I have mostly indifferent feelings towards... -Chris Stangl ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 09:16:44 -0600 (CST) From: "Christopher M. Stangl" Subject: Re: TMBG: planes, trains and automobiles... and food!?!?!? Message-ID: On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, salien wrote: > >as long as we're playing this fun game, how about food references? > >(explicit ones, not the puns on lani o's page)... > > > >i'll start: > > > >hot cha has the stereo on and cooking bacon. > >they might be giants might be frying up a stalk of wheat. > > salien (Et cetera) I used to play this game in junior high, and got pretty burned out on it. However, I do remember that the "things" mentioned most often in Giants songs (I'm counting concrete things- stuff like "love" and "death", well, they're the subject of most songs anyway, and don't count) are Telephones, Birds, Cars and Alcohol. The frequency of alcohol references rather suprised me at the time, and They just keep adding to the list... -Chris Stangl ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 11:50:23 -0400 (EDT) From: Pooh Head Bucket? Subject: NON-TMBG: Creepiness/BFF Message-id: <01ISD6F3NJ828ZE6JE@alpha.montclair.edu> I really really like Ben Folds Five. That said, I can't get over how badly the SNL performance sucked. They >all< looked sick, or at least extremely irritated. "Dwarf" would've been a much nicer opportunity to show America what they could do. Oh well... I haven't opened my copy of "Naked Baby Photos" yet, but I do know about half the material from collecting b-sides and such. "Eddie Walker" is without a doubt their best song. So there. :) All this talk about what " '70s bands" we listen to is weirding me out. Maybe it's just that we're a collection of people with impeccable taste (mmm, possible) but here's me: "!^% I LOVE XTC! &^$^%! I LOVE COSTELLO!" Perhaps there's some connection we don't yet understand. (And as long as others have offered, my XTC moment is "Skylarking" (must plug my hero Todd Rundgren as well!) and my fave Elvis is "Punch The Clock" 'cuz it's slick like buttah.) Mebbe when Sneepy gets back to NYC we could all go on a cheap vinyl buyin' spree! Whee, what fun! -tom (sucking up bandwidth, waiting for the Monopuff show) ------------------------------ From: Shaft137 Message-ID: <40db6ac5.34bcf36e@aol.com> Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 12:18:36 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: planes, trains and automobiles... Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) hi. i have no idea what the lyrics are, but "On The Drag" sounds like it should be about cars. or cross-dressing. adam schaaf, i coulda made a sexy chick. ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 14:16:58 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: planes, trains and automobiles... Message-ID: <19980114.141659.5102.1.Mr.Train@juno.com> On Wed, 14 Jan 1998 12:18:36 EST Shaft137 writes: >hi. > >i have no idea what the lyrics are, but "On The Drag" sounds like >it should be about cars. > >or cross-dressing. You are probably just joking.. but the song is about a the place from first Avenue to Avenue A where the Johns spend alot of their time (says JF(?)) It's also known as Clown Alley... crazy New Yorkers... >adam schaaf, i coulda made a sexy chick. we'll leave that one alone... Tim, he just forgot his one pet name for you... Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: Narrow your Eyes ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 14:12:09 -0500 Subject: Re: non-TMBG: BFF, SNL Message-ID: <19980114.141659.5102.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> On Tue, 13 Jan 1998 17:48:38 -0700 (MST) J Kuemmerle writes: >On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, Cajun Gram wrote: > >> Also, I am really distraught that >> they replaced Norm MacDonald with Colin Quinn!!! Here! here! >really? i'd never much liked norm macdonald's work, myself. i take >that back. he's been used to good effect in some sketches, but his weekend >updates would just make me want to cry. he had no delivery, imho -- >just the same face and the same voice for every line, like he was reading >it off a teleprompter with no mental processing in between. oh, for the >days of dennis miller, chevy chase, dan akroyd and jane curtin... >even kevin nealon wasn't too bad... now, granted, i've not seen colin >quinn yet -- maybe he's even worse... <> I thought Norm was GREAT! not as good as Kevin Nealon IMHO... and KN wasn't half as good as Dennis Miller! HE was good! Colin was ok... but his voice was too.... raspy? I always hated his characters during the Weekend Update... Joe Blow, that dumb Lion... blah... Of course the early casts were great... people like Eddy Murphy, Chevy Chase, Akroyd, Belushi, etc... those were the days.... when I was two... heh heh... I've seen reruns... Re: Brick I tought myself to play this song after watching the video and SNL... it is pretty easy! I figured out what I think are the correct bass notes... but then again, I haven't been taking lessons as long as Ben did... and I don't play ALL of the notes, like when Ben climbs back up the scale after the phrase.. and I don't know the bridge and chorus.. anyone know where I can find the whle thing transcribed? I know they have a songbook for the first album... Tim, he is not ashamed that he sent his order for "State..." and "...Mayors" through the mail! Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: House Of Mayors ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 13:24:57 -0600 (CST) From: John Shaft Subject: TMBG: Singles? Where? Message-ID: Istanbul? I Panlindrome I? The Guitar? Where did you find these? I've been looking for them for some time! Are they on CD? Cassette? Vinyl? According to the Muze machine and some online sources, these are out of print. Scott "I bent my Wookie" Reed > > >In the last two weeks, I've found two They singles actually sitting in the > > >bins at a couple of larger music retailers around here. I found S-E-X-X-Y > > >in Borders Books and Music, and WDTSS in Best Buy. What other singles and > > >EP's am I apt to find sitting in bins? Or were these two just a complete > > >fluke? > > > Hi, > Well, you're generally likely to find those in the large music retailer > stores if indeed you find any TMBG singles at all. Some of the smaller > stores around here have been known to sell Istanbul, The Guitar, SEXXY, > WDTSS, I Palindrome I, Don't Let's Start, They'll Need a Crane, > O'Tannenbaum 7", WDTSS 7", Snail Shell, Back to Skull. > Istanbul, WDTSS, Back to Skull, and SEXXY are by far the most common, > though. > Matt > ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 14:46:03 -0500 (EST) From: 99 and 44/100% MIKe! Subject: Re: TMBG: Singles? Where? Message-ID: On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, John Shaft wrote: > > Istanbul? I Panlindrome I? The Guitar? Where did you find these? I've > been looking for them for some time! Are they on CD? Cassette? Vinyl? > According to the Muze machine and some online sources, these are out of > print. I've somehow managed over the years to find almost all the singles on one format or another - as the early ones were issued on all formats, but the later ones generally only on CD. (Or in the case of O Tannenbaum, only on 7 inch, though you can also get WDTSS on 7 inch as well). As an example of my rampant fanaticism, I've managed to obtain the Istanbul EP on _three_ different formats, though the CD version is the only one with the full complement of songs. The cassette version contains only two versions of the song, and the 12 inch I found contains everything but Ant. My philosophy for the past number of years has been to immediately purchase whatever new TMBG EP appears in record shops at whatever price is marked on them, for availability of these singles is always limited and if one holds off for any reason at all, one is bound to be disappointed. I should also note that in Canada, none of the EPs have ever been issued as domestic items, and must always be purchased as imports. In the case of SEXXY, I have as of yet never seen this on the shelves of any location of any major record chain in this city (Toronto), and I had to have it sent to me by a wonderful American friend of mine. (This is also how I obtained numerous other EPs - my pal in Baltimore made that possible, and you know who you are). Later, during my travels, I noted that it seemed to be widely available in Bowling Green, Ohio. The same goes for The Earlier Years which technically isn't a domestic item here, and which I ended up buying in Dayton. As a collector, I will buy varying versions of the same EPs, regardless of how many times I've purchased recordings of the songs in question (I recently realised I have Don't Let's Start on _five_ different CDs). However, in regards to the music, I think it is key to try to grab as many of the post-1990 EPs as possible since it does seem unlikely that there will be another singles compilation released anytime soon (the 'ole Superfueled Freaksicle debacle, for those long time fans). MIKe *TMBG Info Club ID No: 18902* THE COOLEST PLACE TO BE - Mr Flippy's Red Light Funtime Party Hour --->http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy<--- AND: Check out the webzine JournalX at www.journalx.com Want to be on my short story mailing list? Just tell me so. *-----------------------------* Food processors are great. ------------------------------ From: Christi587 Message-ID: <77fae865.34bd3b7b@aol.com> Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 17:26:01 EST Subject: TMBG: very small OMLT message Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) Yes, I am still alive. In these hectic weeks of college apps, financial aid forms, and final projects, the list and specifically the OMLT have dropped considerably on the concern-o-meter. I assure you that things will simmer down in a couple of weeks and I will get back to the task of converting your money into shirts. For right now, please just be patient. However: if you believe you sent me a check which has not been cashed, e-mail me personally and I will deal with you. I don't get to read the list that much these days, so whining about it here will not help. Whine to me personally instead. As a final note, I finally figured out a low-tech way of doing the OMLT design color seperations I needed. It involves my color printer and a lot of white- out. :P I remain your humble servant. --Christy ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34BD1456.AE88C05C@worldnet.att.net> Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 14:39:02 -0500 From: John Lambert Subject: TMBG: Sorry to post, but I need Christy the shoe goddess Christy!!!!! Please email me privately... regarding my OMLT... change of address!!! John "Green Jello" Lambert ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 19:55:35 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Creepiness/BFF, but TMBG! as long as we're discussing BFF's appearance on Saturday Night Live, here's an interesting question... should TMBG ever, for some reason, appear on SNL, and were, like most groups, allowed to perform two songs, what should they play? my votes go for Til My Head Falls Off and Dr. Worm. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34BD62E0.7AD6@stlnet.com> Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 19:14:10 -0600 From: Lynne Subject: TMBG: RE: Non-TMBG They played Till My Head Falls Off on Viva Variety, so I doubt they would play that again. What is Doctor Worm on? I have not even heard the song and I have, at least I thought, almost all of their songs. My votes would go to Dinner Bell (or) Metal Detector and James K. Polk. Well, thanks for hearing me out and if you can, please answer my question. Chris chrisl@stlnet.com Beware the dirt bike. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980114202402.006a63cc@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 20:24:02 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: RE: Non-TMBG Bands generally don't retire songs after one performance. As for Dr. Worm, it's only officially available on tmbg.com, but there are several live MP3s floating around...they've also said that it'll be on their next album. I'd have to agree with Lawrence and say TMHFO and Dr. Worm, myself. TTYL, -Adam At 07:14 PM 1/14/98 -0600, you wrote: >They played Till My Head Falls Off on Viva Variety, so I doubt they >would play that again. What is Doctor Worm on? I have not even heard >the song and I have, at least I thought, almost all of their songs. >My votes would go to Dinner Bell (or) Metal Detector and James K. Polk. > >Well, thanks for hearing me out and if you can, please answer my >question. > >Chris >chrisl@stlnet.com >Beware the dirt bike. > > ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 20:26:45 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: RE: Non-TMBG Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 14-Jan-98 TMBG: RE: Non-TMBG by Lynne@stlnet.com > They played Till My Head Falls Off on Viva Variety, so I doubt they > would play that again. What is Doctor Worm on? I have not even heard > the song and I have, at least I thought, almost all of their songs. > My votes would go to Dinner Bell (or) Metal Detector and James K. Polk. Dr. Worm is a video on tmbg.com. they've been playing it at pretty much every show lately. and it's one of the best new ones (lots of accordion) I'm not sure we're *ever* going to hear Dinner Bell again... there must be something they don't like about it, because they pretty much retired it after the Apollo 18 tour. (which is sad, because it's a great song) I think, though, that a problem they'd have on SNL is that they like to talk to the audience and introduce songs. It seems they'd have a bit more difficulty *just* playing. (especially disjointedly like that) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 20:22:57 -0500 (EST) From: "Eric Webber (EIN tech)" Subject: Re: TMBG: RE: Non-TMBG Message-Id: On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, Lynne wrote: > would play that again. What is Doctor Worm on? I have not even heard > the song and I have, at least I thought, almost all of their songs. To my knowledge Dr. Worm is not on anything except bootlegs of live shows. I vote for Dead and Rythm Section Want Ad on SNL Take it easy, Wubba --- Eric Webber EIN Technician 412.622.1944 page- 412.272.1854 webbere@clpgh.org wubba@tmbg.org p-wolves@mailexcite.com ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 20:36:30 -0500 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Creepiness/BFF, but TMBG! Message-ID: <19980114.212933.5022.4.Mr.Train@juno.com> On Wed, 14 Jan 1998 19:55:35 -0500 (EST) Lawrence P Solomon writes: >as long as we're discussing BFF's appearance on Saturday Night Live, >here's an interesting question... > >should TMBG ever, for some reason, appear on SNL, and were, like most >groups, allowed to perform two songs, what should they play? > >my votes go for Til My Head Falls Off and Dr. Worm. I say 'Til my Head Falls Off and Certain People I Could Name... Speaking of unreleased songs... I recently heard the studio session of Reprehensible and IT SUCKS! I have only heard the live version before yesterday and I loved it! Then I heard the studio session yesterday (Thanks Terry) and it is the WORST!!! No beginning sax solo... and Flans's vocals IMHO SUCK! I can't believe it! I HOPE HOPE HOPE HOPE they do not release this version! Tim, thinks TMBG ARE reprehensible for making that version! Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: NOT REPREHENSIBLE (STUDIO SESSION)!! ------------------------------ From: Shaft137 Message-ID: <4cb68b7a.34bd7c53@aol.com> Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 22:02:41 EST Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Creepiness/BFF, but TMBG! Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) hi. someone just requested "Brick" on MTV live. anywho, when bands do SNL it is 99% of the time in conjuction with a newly released album. because of that they'll play only songs off of the new record. there have been only a few i can think off, Billy Joel, k.d. lang, Neil Young, have done old or cover songs. that because they're "big" stars. the real world has now come on and i must change the channel. adam schaaf, who is living in a real world all his own. ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 22:37:33 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Creepiness/BFF, but TMBG! Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 14-Jan-98 Re: NON-TMBG: Creepiness/BF.. by mr.train@juno.com > Speaking of unreleased songs... I recently heard the studio session of > Reprehensible and IT SUCKS! I have only heard the live version before > yesterday and I loved it! Then I heard the studio session yesterday > (Thanks Terry) and it is the WORST!!! No beginning sax solo... and > Flans's vocals IMHO SUCK! I can't believe it! I HOPE HOPE HOPE HOPE > they do not release this version! the vocals aren't great, but I kind of like the piano intro. most of the song is the same - and the piano makes a better background in the verses than the guitar. they'll most likely rework it for the next recording - since neither Brian Doherty nor Graham Maby are in the band anymore, it really wouldn't be fair to the new rhythm section to use the old recordings. (except maybe Older, which is entirely electronic except for Flans' guitar - but they've come up with a new version of it anyway...) the old version of On the Drag will be eliminated - it was Factory Showroom style, and it seems they're moving away from that. and as another subject, I've noticed (and I know this has been discussed before) that each album has a fairly distinct style - TMBG was very electronic sounding, with lots of canned drum rhythms and a lot of synth parts. Lincoln was less so, but more folky, with more acoustic guitar and accordion. Flood was, if you'll pardon my saying so, very 80s. the organs, the upbeat songs... the very clean guitar... Apollo 18 was sort of a mix of the styles of Flood and Lincoln, and fairly disjointed... John Henry, of course, was "the horn album." lots of horns, and lots of organ... and the "featured instrument" on Factory Showroom was the lead guitar. with that said... it seems that they're moving back towards the style of Flood and Lincoln - I think Rest Awhile would go great on Flood, and Dr. Worm and Finished with Lies on Lincoln. the new version of On the Drag is very Lincolnish, as is Counterfeit Faker. the only exceptions I can think of are Triborowhatever, which is very similar in sound and form to Space Suit, and would, therefore, fit on Apollo 18, and First Kiss, which also seems more Apollo 18-esque. at least, IMHO... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34BD8FE9.634C@rica.net> Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 23:26:17 -0500 From: Joey Groah Subject: TMBG: Cars, hats, and stuff I received credit for the Giants wool (or cotton or polyester) cap and remember reading a post on the list about the same thing. Anybody get their's? Anybody have the e-mail info. club address? * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Tom: And that's why I don't like the French!! Ray: 1-800-332-9287, hello you're on Car Talk. John: Hi, this is John in Brooklyn... Tom: Brooklyn!! John: Brooklyn. Yeah, I've got a 1990 Elektra that no matter how well I treat it, it chokes when I'm in a crunch and need some support. Tom: Hold it, I'm still working on "John". That's J-O... Ray: Have you thought about torching it and going with a Warner Brothers '98 or an Atlantic '99? * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ And Jim K., ever finish your Dr. Worm interp? Have you sent it to tmbg.org? Posted it to the list? Leffel would've liked the bent Wookie reference. Hey Mike, if you can still receive stuff, Ellison on Politically Incorrect (ABC) 1/15/98. Joey, believes SPICE WORLD is the signal for Ragnarok ------------------------------ From: NitpickR Message-ID: <1ddca331.34bd92ed@aol.com> Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 23:39:07 EST Subject: TMBG: Factory Sessions et all Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) Hello 41- A few things I'd like to interject about the "newer" TMBG songs. Reprehensible- Well... for those that don't like it, everbody is entitled to their opinions. I love it, and it just emphasizes the point of the song. Kind of like how the EZ Listening Version of Beautiful World by Devo compliments the original/message. On The Drag- Same point as Reprehensible, though I like the new boppy version, because I belive in boppy. I think TMBG realized that they were really straying from their roots with JH and even FS. But lately, their musical roots and ------------------------------ From: NitpickR Message-ID: <40953b3.34bd9464@aol.com> Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 23:45:22 EST Subject: TMBG: Crud Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) Hello 41- That darn cat... jumped on the keyboard when I'm typing! ANYWAYS, I just wanted to finish by saying that in some ways, their roots in performance art are coming back to haunt audiences in so many ways. It's wonderful. TMBG needs a record contract for themselves, but TMBG does not need a record contract for TMBG. Rock on. Finished this time, but not with lies, Adam ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 21:13:49 -0800 (PST) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: Factory Sessions et all Message-ID: On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, NitpickR wrote: > On The Drag- Same point as Reprehensible, though I like the new boppy > version, because I belive in boppy. Mmmmm.... ...boppy... (Sorry again!) -Lani O:) Member of the OFFICIAL Sludge Fan Club since 1997 a.butterfly@bigfoot.com http://www.geocities.com/~abutterfly/ ________________________________________________________________ "...there is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so." -Hamlet ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 00:59:12 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Re: Non-TMBG Message-ID: <19980115.005913.15190.0.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) On Wed, 14 Jan 1998 20:26:45 -0500 (EST) Lawrence P Solomon writes: > >I'm not sure we're *ever* going to hear Dinner Bell again... there >must >be something they don't like about it, because they pretty much >retired >it after the Apollo 18 tour. > >(which is sad, because it's a great song) I never new They played that song live. It seems to me like it would be hard because there is a LOT of overdubbing Linnell's voice voice and many more harmony parts than two people can sing. Can anybody who have heard Dinner Bell live please tell me what it was like, how They did it, etc? Thanx! >I think, though, that a problem they'd have on SNL is that they like >to >talk to the audience and introduce songs. It seems they'd have a bit >more difficulty *just* playing. (especially disjointedly like that) > Well, They played on Viva Variety without talking! But as much as I love seeing Them on tv, many people see Them and don't appreciate Them. Tmbg generally doesn't make good impressions, They didn't with me either. But the people with patience learn to love Them. By the way, could somebody please explain to me what it means to play "disjointedly?" Thanx again! Your psychotically deranged yet friendly pal, Evan ############################################# "We were once so close to heaven Peter came out and gave us medals Declaring us the nicest of the damned" -John Flansburgh of They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 01:08:35 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19980115010602.26bf1236@mail.connection.com> From: "The Famous Mr. Klaw" Subject: TMBG: New Mono Puff album! Hi all Hold on to your hats, because the Puff is gonna hit the fan. I have just been informed that Mono Puff has finalized a deal with Bar None Records to release their newest album, "It's Fun To Steal". To find out more information, visit the Official Mono Puff website at www.monopuff.org and check out the News section. Come for the service, stay for the leg room. Alex ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 23:15:12 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: it's a mad, mad, mad, mad, mad, mad worm!! Message-ID: On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, Joey Groah wrote: > ------------------------------------------------------------------------ > Tom: And that's why I don't like the French!! > Ray: 1-800-332-9287, hello you're on Car Talk. > John: Hi, this is John in Brooklyn... > Tom: Brooklyn!! > John: Brooklyn. Yeah, I've got a 1990 Elektra that no matter how well > I treat it, it chokes when I'm in a crunch and need some support. > Tom: Hold it, I'm still working on "John". That's J-O... > Ray: Have you thought about torching it and going with a Warner > Brothers '98 or an Atlantic '99? > ------------------------------------------------------------------------ LOL!!! > And Jim K., ever finish your Dr. Worm interp? Have you sent it to > tmbg.org? Posted it to the list? actually, no, no, and no... here's the upshot though... (ahem). as some of you know, i am a graduate student in molecular biology at the university of utah. as it turns out, there are only a few organisms that are easily amenable to certain kinds of studies, mostly because they've been used before, and hence there's enough known about them to actually make some progress on how they work, etc. anyway, for genetic studies, (don't worry about quite what i mean by that) the biggies are: (1) the bacterium Escherichia coli (strains that wouldn't make you sick even if you imbibed a billion little bugs), (2) the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisae (i forget whether it's baker's yeast or brewer's yeast), (3) the fruit fly Drosophila melanogaster, (4) the mouse, and (5) the nematode Caenorhabditis elegans, referred to by people in the know as 'worms'. C. elegans is 1/20 of a millimeter long, entirely non-parasitic, consists of exactly 959 cells in the adult, and is completely transparent. to make things even better, its genome is almost entirely completed by the genome-sequencing people, and its "fate map" is complete -- that is, all those 959 cells in the adult worm? we know exactly what cells each of those came from, and what cells each of *those* came from, and so on and so on, all the way back to the 1-cell fertilized egg. all of this makes c. elegans, the worm, one of the most popular biological organisms around. okay. so there's the background. IMHO: (till my humble opinion falls off??) * they call me dr. worm * good morning, how are you, i'm dr. worm dr. worm is about a research scientist who happens to work on the worm. maybe he or she is faculty at a small school, where they tend to have only one lab working on any given broad topic. anyway, this scientist is known as 'dr. worm'. * i'm interested in things referring to the fact that c. elegans is such a widely useful and popular organism for biological research -- dr. worm can take an interest in just about anything and use the worm to figure it out... * i'm not a real doctor, but i am a real worm * i am an actual worm * i live like a worm here we find out that dr. worm is not a real dr. (read ph.d. here) after all, but maybe a ph.d. candidate (like i myself will be fairly soon). this makes sense -- the faculty tend to do more directing research and less actual day to day labwork, and it seems as though 'dr. worm' does the labwork. when you work with an organism in the lab, you tend to be at its command. when the flies say you need to be there every six hours to collect them as they hatch, you need to be there every six hours to collect them as they hatch. when you work with worms? worms have a life cycle of three days, give or take, so to maintain lines of worms, you have to keep near-constant maintenance. thus, you live like a worm, and you may actually start to feel like a worm, depending on how brutal your graduate coursework is... * i like to play the drums * i think i'm getting good * but i can handle criticism; i'll show you what i know * and you can tell me if you think i'm getting better on the drums even the most dedicated scientists have to do something (else) for fun. most of them (from personal observation) are quite passionate about their extracurricular activities as well. granted, this is based solely on the movie at tmbg.com... this may all change once the lyrics to the mysterious Other Verses are revealed... --jim kuemmerle, who is working in a worm lab during this academic quarter... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ kinduva long upshot, huh? PS: if you want to see what a worm looks like, i would recommend http://www.hci.utah.edu/labs/mango/ -- the lab i'm currently in, and http://eatworms.swmed.edu/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 23:17:49 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Creepiness/BFF, but TMBG! Message-ID: On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > with that said... it seems that they're moving back towards the style of > Flood and Lincoln - I think Rest Awhile would go great on Flood, and Dr. > Worm and Finished with Lies on Lincoln. the new version of On the Drag > is very Lincolnish, as is Counterfeit Faker. the only exceptions I can > think of are Triborowhatever, which is very similar in sound and form to > Space Suit, and would, therefore, fit on Apollo 18, and First Kiss, > which also seems more Apollo 18-esque. at least, IMHO... actually, i find dr. worm to be much along the lines of apollo 18, musically speaking... --jim kuemmerle, who's not a real doctor but will be in 4-6 more years... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-379 ******************************