Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-380 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 380 Friday, 16 January 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: sorta intro/TMBG on SNL/Dr. Worm Re: TMBG: New Mono Puff album! TMBG: everything TMBG: SNL Re: TMBG: Re: Non-TMBG Re: TMBG: Re: Non-TMBG TMBG: Dr. Worm Re: TMBG: Re: sorta intro/TMBG on SNL/Dr. Worm TMBG: "I like to play the drums" Re: TMBG: "I like to play the drums" Non-TMBG: Genetic Organisms Re: TMBG: "I like to play the drums" Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm TMBG: Various amusing rantings Re: TMBG: Various amusing rantings Re: TMBG: "I like to play the drums" Re: TMBG: "I like to play the drums" Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: TwinAndOne Message-ID: <26101b5b.34bdf84d@aol.com> Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 06:51:38 EST Subject: TMBG: Re: sorta intro/TMBG on SNL/Dr. Worm Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) Hi everyone! I'm new to the list. I hope I'm doing this right. I haven't dealt with digests much, but my mailbox can't handle all the mailing lists I'm on. I've been listening to TMBG for about 9 years and have only managed to make it to 2 concerts so far, but since I started reviewing music for an internet magazine this year, I'm hoping I'll be able to get in to see more. The first concert I went to was in Athens, OH for their Apollo 18 concert. Opening was some lousy local band. They played to a group of about 200 people, if that. They still weren't very well known in a lot of places. Not that they're incredibly well known now, but a lot more than they were then. The other concert I went to was last year in Columbus, OH and the crowd was a LOT better. Cub opened for them. A pretty cool band, but way different than I expected. TMBG puts on the best concerts anywhere, IMO. Just fun stuff and the fans are so enthusiastic in a good way. After having been to a lot of heavy metal and techno concerts this year, the difference is, as you might expect, extraordinary. But enough about my and my TMBG stories and on to the questions/comments at hand :) <> As for what songs I'd like to hear on SNL, I have to go with old favorites, even though they're more likely to play some new stuff. Mister Me and Istanbul Not Constantinople would have to be my picks. Actually my favorite is probably Cage & Aquarium, but it's way too short and I'd want them on stage as long as I can get them. I do think Til My Head Falls Off would be super too, it's just not my first choice :) <> I'm not sure I agree with this. The first time I heard Why Does the Sun Shine? was on Letterman and I thought they were great. Of course, they did have a chance to go sit and talk with Dave afterwards. I've seen a couple of other late night talk show appearances and never got a bad impression of them. Maybe it's because I was already a fan, but I think I would notice if they came off in a bad way... One other thing. I've heard y'all talking about Dr. Worm on tmbg.com, but it's not there so I can't check it out. I had been to the site before, but it's been a long time. This makes me very sad. Why would they take it off the site? Thanks for listening! :) Jill ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980115073718.006a13d0@130.127.28.14> Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 07:37:18 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: New Mono Puff album! That's the greatest news! I can't wait until April 21st! Great job Alex! -Adam At 01:08 AM 1/15/98 -0500, you wrote: >Hi all > >Hold on to your hats, because the Puff is gonna hit the fan. I have just >been informed that Mono Puff has finalized a deal with Bar None Records to >release their newest album, "It's Fun To Steal". To find out more >information, visit the Official Mono Puff website at www.monopuff.org and >check out the News section. Come for the service, stay for the leg room. > >Alex > > > /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 07:25:23 -0700 Subject: TMBG: everything Message-ID: <19980115.072526.11126.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) hEY HeY! >You are probably just joking.. but the song is about a the place from >first Avenue to Avenue A where the Johns spend alot of their time (says >JF(?)) It's also known as Clown Alley... crazy New Yorkers... uhm, isn't it about st. mark's place? >adam schaaf, i coulda made a sexy chick. we went to rocky horror last saturday with some freshman guys and i don't think they'll ever be the same... >Istanbul? I Panlindrome I? The Guitar? Where did you find these? I've >been looking for them for some time! Are they on CD? all of mine are on CD... your best bet is to go to used CD stores... they did, however, re-release istanbul over the summer (or so... that's when i kept seeing it pop up in real music stores) you could check tower records or somethign to see if they are still "re-releaseing" it. :) > What is Doctor Worm on? their next album... i vote for Dr. worm or first kiss... >there must >be something they don't like about it, because they pretty much retired >it after the Apollo 18 tour. they claim that they never retire any songs (except for fingertips...) so you can always hope :) mono puff went to bar-none huh? i find that to be totally coolio :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ***BRONCOS ROCK THE HOUSE BRING ON THE CHEESE!*** ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9801151440.AA06053@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: SNL Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 09:40:14 -0500 (EST) > They played Till My Head Falls Off on Viva Variety, so I doubt they > would play that again. What is Doctor Worm on? I have not even heard > the song and I have, at least I thought, almost all of their songs. > My votes would go to Dinner Bell (or) Metal Detector and James K. Polk. > > Well, thanks for hearing me out and if you can, please answer my > question. It would be rather cool to hear Dr. Worm on any show. Dr. Worm is an unreleased song that originally started as a Quickcam (digital movie) on tmbg.com. It has been played in a number of concerts and we all await it's release on an album/single, it is great! I doubt they would play Dinner Bell on one of these shows. Bands go on these shows to promote their new material, I doubt they'd play a song from 6 years ago. Metal Detector never really hit it big, although I could see them doing James K Polk possibly. But more realistically, they'd probably play a single or a song played on past shows. Just because they played Till My Head Falls Off on Viva Variety does not mean that they wouldn't play it on SNL or any other show. In fact, that would give it more reason to be played. My guess is they'll appear on one of these late night shows when a new album comes out, as that's the best time to plug it and the late night host likes to hold up the new album and say, "Go buy it". Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 10:19:39 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Non-TMBG Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 15-Jan-98 TMBG: Re: Non-TMBG by Evan R Kleve@juno.com > the people with patience learn to love Them. By the way, could somebody > please explain to me what it means to play "disjointedly?" Thanx again! on SNL, bands play two songs, but there are skits in between. it's not like a concert where they can move smoothly from one song into the next. ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 10:18:59 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Non-TMBG Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 15-Jan-98 TMBG: Re: Non-TMBG by Evan R Kleve@juno.com > I never new They played that song live. It seems to me like it would be > hard because there is a LOT of overdubbing Linnell's voice voice and many > more harmony parts than two people can sing. Can anybody who have heard > Dinner Bell live please tell me what it was like, how They did it, etc? > Thanx! I haven't heard it in person, but there are two main versions of it that exist: the apollo 18 tour version - Linnell on accordion/vocals, Flans on backing vocals, Kurt Hoffman on keyboard (piano), and the usual rhythm section. It's pretty close to the album, although the third vocal is absent... the accordion covered the clarinet part in the end, and they put reverb on Flans' mic for the bridge. the other version is the one they played at the Mercury Lounge on 3/28/96. this was the normal arrangement, with Linnell on keyboard, and so on. (the other version you can hear the drum ticks at the beginning signalling them all when to start... this one they didn't need that) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19980115091510.006fdc70@mailbox.ucdavis.edu> Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 09:15:19 -0800 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: Dr. Worm >Istanbul? I Panlindrome I? The Guitar? Where did you find these? I've >been looking for them for some time! Are they on CD? Cassette? Vinyl? >According to the Muze machine and some online sources, these are out of >print. I asked the guy at Rasputin Records (one of the two music stores I mentioned yesterday) why they carried I(NC) fairly often. His reply was that it was not technically out of print, but that Elektra printed so few copies that few stores had them. Or something. I've never seen I Pal I or The Guitar, though a friend who's been a fan for a couple years longer than me has I Pal I. I'll have to ask him where he got it. >should TMBG ever, for some reason, appear on SNL, and were, like most >groups, allowed to perform two songs, what should they play? I never watch SNL, but I'd make an exception of TMBG were on. I vote for WDTSS? and The Bells Are Ringing. >Speaking of unreleased songs... I recently heard the studio session of >Reprehensible and IT SUCKS! I have only heard the live version before >yesterday and I loved it! Then I heard the studio session yesterday >(Thanks Terry) and it is the WORST!!! No beginning sax solo... and >Flans's vocals IMHO SUCK! I can't believe it! I HOPE HOPE HOPE HOPE >they do not release this version! Is this the Factory Showroom Studio Sessions version? What's wrong with it? Love that mock big-band sound! Love the clarinet! Darn-near perfect contrast between music and lyrics, IMHO. That said, I've never heard the live version. >Mmmmm.... > > ...boppy... Mention the Evil Group or their Evil Song once more, Lani, and you will be hurt. :) >Escherichia coli (strains that wouldn't make you sick even if >you imbibed a billion little bugs) Waitaminitwaitaminit. I'm just a lowly Computer Science undergrad, and therefore I am less than ignorant about all things biology, but wasn't there a scare about burgers tainted with E. Coli a few years back? As I recall, three people died. >(3) the fruit fly Drosophila melanogaster, Drosophila! My old friends! I spent a semester breeding the little b@$!@rds for a high school genetics project... ahh, the memories. I still shudder whenever I see a fruit fly. --nicole the wonder nerd *** "If it wasn't for disappointments, I wouldn't have any appointments."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn Public PGP key at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn/key.html ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 11:13:20 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: sorta intro/TMBG on SNL/Dr. Worm Message-ID: On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, TwinAndOne wrote: > One other thing. I've heard y'all talking about Dr. Worm on tmbg.com, but it's > not there so I can't check it out. I had been to the site before, but it's > been a long time. This makes me very sad. Why would they take it off the site? i just visited the tmbg.com site -- it's still there. try: http://www.tmbg.com/quantity/video/worm.mov -jim kuemmerle, the mass of the opiates. j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 13:46:38 EST Subject: TMBG: "I like to play the drums" Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) ok, I actually just skimmed the last 3 lists, so.. whatever. *lol* you guys wanted conversation, wow.. here it is. anyways.. >> * i like to play the drums * i think i'm getting good * but i can handle criticism; i'll show you what i know * and you can tell me if you think i'm getting better on the drums << At the instore I taped in november, I purposely cut right to Dan when this verse came up. ;) I'm actually trading with mr. Russ (hi! ) J., so if there is a video bootleg #4 (?), it might end up on it. ^_^ obBF5: you'd think they would have had practice in front of audiences - conan, letterman, mtv live.. anyways, I haven't gotten NBP yet.. next week I am though. I gotta so have eddie walker on cd, wooo! obSNL: I really hated Norm's WU lately.. Some of his jokes were downright rude (liek the one about how woman basketball players suck because they're women, and the incessant oj jokes) -- and comedy *never* offends me! Or never *has*.. I actually thought Colin should have replaced him, I was glad to see he did.:) sarah -- http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 13:16:54 -0600 (CST) From: "Christopher M. Stangl" Subject: Re: TMBG: "I like to play the drums" Message-ID: On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, KdsInThHal wrote: > > obSNL: I really hated Norm's WU lately.. Some of his jokes were downright rude > (liek the one about how woman basketball players suck because they're women, > and the incessant oj jokes) -- and comedy *never* offends me! Or never *has*.. > I actually thought Colin should have replaced him, I was glad to see he did.:) > > sarah -- http://lava.home.ml.org You are a genuine comedy wimp. Norm MacDonald was quite explicitly not being sexist with his crack about female baskeball players. Only a... a... a *woman* could misconstrue the irony *there*. -Chris Stangl ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 13:55:16 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Non-TMBG: Genetic Organisms Message-ID: On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, Nicole the Wonder Nerd wrote: > >Escherichia coli (strains that wouldn't make you sick even if > >you imbibed a billion little bugs) > > Waitaminitwaitaminit. I'm just a lowly Computer Science undergrad, and > therefore I am less than ignorant about all things biology, but wasn't > there a scare about burgers tainted with E. Coli a few years back? As I > recall, three people died. true enough, but that was a different strain of E. coli: the one that pops into my head goes by the lovely little moniker of O157:H7. bugs that fall into this category have specific genes that make them deadly -- among other things, the 0157 and H7 antigens, which are just a couple of molecules that they have on their outside that normal E. coli cells don't. the strains that we use in the lab (my personal favorite is called DH5-alpha) are missing the genes that are responsible for virulence -- so they wouldn't even know how to cause problems. not only that, but everybody has gobs of E. coli naturally living in their intestines. not only do these bugs not cause disease, (provided they stay in the intestine and don't get into the bloodstream,) but they are also responsible for the production of vitamins that our cells can't manufacture themselves. so E. coli, most of the time, is a good guy. :) > >(3) the fruit fly Drosophila melanogaster, > > Drosophila! My old friends! I spent a semester breeding the little > b@$!@rds for a high school genetics project... ahh, the memories. I still > shudder whenever I see a fruit fly. i understand, nicole. they caused me much consternation this last summer, and even though i still think they're pretty cool, and they're useful for all sorts of things, i would much rather work with worms or bacteria any day of the week. --jim kuemmerle, who thinks 'dr. fly' would have made a much unhappier song... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ From: "Mr. Me" Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 15:19:35 CST Subject: Re: TMBG: "I like to play the drums" Message-ID: <152F2F93A29@athena.valpo.edu> i'm out of touch here. is norm mcdonald off of saturday night live? he was the only cast member left, other than tim meadows, with any talent. please don't tell me that colin quin is doing the weekend update now. i would watch snl FOR norm's news and turn it off after. with farley dead and mcdonald, phil hartman, and rob schneider off the cast, the show's really not worth watching anymore. of course people say that after every single snl era, so who knows. any official release date on monopuff's album? jer [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "Cartman, you couldn't tell the difference between a rain forest and a pop tart!! "Yeah I can, a pop tart's frosted." --Comedy central's "South Park" [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: Web: http://www.valpo.edu/home/student/jskrenes 141 Wehrenberg Airwaves: Sunday nights, 12-2am 95.1, WVUR Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 18:39:53 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm Message-ID: <19980115.184233.12446.1.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) On Thu, 15 Jan 1998 09:15:19 -0800 Nicole the Wonder Nerd writes: > >I never watch SNL, but I'd make an exception of TMBG were on. I vote >for >WDTSS? and The Bells Are Ringing. Here we go again. :-) I might be mistaken, but I don't think The Bells Are Ringing has ever been performed live. It doesn't seem possible because there is so much overdubbing of Linnell's voice. Maybe They can/will play it live, but it would have to be a very watered down version. Your psychotically deranged yet friendly pal, Evan ############################################# "We were once so close to heaven Peter came out and gave us medals Declaring us the nicest of the damned" -John Flansburgh of They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Message-ID: <4ojeUC_00blK0k2fQ0@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 19:21:34 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 15-Jan-98 Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm by Evan R Kleve@juno.com > Here we go again. :-) I might be mistaken, but I don't think The Bells > Are Ringing has ever been performed live. It doesn't seem possible > because there is so much overdubbing of Linnell's voice. Maybe They > can/will play it live, but it would have to be a very watered down > version. they played it on 12/18 at the Mercury Lounge for the first (and probably the last) time ever. they had a vibrophonist on stage, and she played the bell part. Flans did the 'round' vocals on the opening, and they ended it with "the bells are ringing they hear the sound." instead of the drum solo. most of it, though, was pretty accurate to the recording. Linnell used kind of a piano/organ sound for the bridge, though, instead of straight piano. it was neat. got a great audience response, too. (because we all knew they'd never played it :) ------------------------------ From: TerryTMBG Message-ID: <6036e5c8.34beb157@aol.com> Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 20:00:56 EST Subject: TMBG: Various amusing rantings Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) Heyo! I am going to tie a bunch of threads together with my little commentary on various TMBG-related stuff. 1. New Mono Puff - YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2. SNL - I didn't see it, I'll be kicking myself for weeks, but Norm Macdonald is the coolest non-TMBG, non-Terry person on earth. Don't you SEE? It's BECAUSE he has no delivery that he's so funny!! 3. Opinions on unreleased TMBG ... a. Reprehensible - Tim: What you talking about, fool? When I found this puppy for the first time, I really got into it almost immediately. It is supa dupa!!! I have to admit that I have yet to hear any live versions, but still, Flansburgh's raspy vocals are great!! I love seeing TMBG do stuff like this that I've never heard before. That's what really confuses me about a lot of TMBG fans. One minute they're saying, "Yeah, TMBG is great because they're so different from other bands." The next, it's "Why can't TMBG just redo Lincoln all over again?" Of course, I think there are two answers to this, I. they did Lincoln already, and II. if they're going to be different from everything else, why not themselves? Usually if you give it enough of a chance, at least from my experience, it will turn out to be much better than you originally thought. I mean, sure, something like FS is different, but it's also fantastic. I don't know, I don't really have a point, just make sure to look at their music with an open mind. Oh, and Tim, you're welcome. Happy to do it. b. Certain People I Could Name - speaking of giving stuff a chance, I really didn't like this one at first. Unlike the second SWAHD and SenSurround, I really couldn't get into it for a while, and I kept wondering, "What in the world are these people thinking?" Then last night I played it while reading the lyrics, and I was really just stunned. I have to say, you're all right, this song is stooooopendous. By the way, am I the only one noticing any lyrical similarities between this and Reprehensible? c. Dr. Worm - not as much of a rant this time, but am I the only one who thinks the version from tmbg.com is infinitely better? I could of course go on, but that would be increasingly boring. Hey, on one last note, did anyone get that Chess Piece Face wave I sent out last night? Stupid AOL reported some sort of file transfer error at 100% and then crashed my computer, so I'm not sure if it went out. Yeah, thanks! -Terry- "People people people people apes apes apes apes" ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980115205055.006977b4@130.127.28.14> Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 20:50:55 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Various amusing rantings At 08:00 PM 1/15/98 EST, you wrote: >b. Certain People I Could Name - speaking of giving stuff a chance, I really >didn't like this one at first. Unlike the second SWAHD and SenSurround, I >really couldn't get into it for a while, and I kept wondering, "What in the >world are these people thinking?" Then last night I played it while reading >the lyrics, and I was really just stunned. I have to say, you're all right, >this song is stooooopendous. By the way, am I the only one noticing any >lyrical similarities between this and Reprehensible? It's a bit similar...between the 2, I learn towards CPICN, which is one of my favorite songs by any band, ever. >c. Dr. Worm - not as much of a rant this time, but am I the only one who >thinks the version from tmbg.com is infinitely better? Yup, you are. ;) I love the live version a lot more...a lot, lot, lot more. >I could of course go on, but that would be increasingly boring. Hey, on one >last note, did anyone get that Chess Piece Face wave I sent out last night? >Stupid AOL reported some sort of file transfer error at 100% and then crashed >my computer, so I'm not sure if it went out. Yeah, thanks! I didn't get it. In case others post about this, please don't send attachments to the list. If there's something you think we'd like, upload it to the WWW or an FTP server, and then post the URL when it's up. Thanks, and ttyl, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: Benmobil Message-ID: <303a260c.34bebdc7@aol.com> Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 20:54:13 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: "I like to play the drums" Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) >i'm out of touch here. is norm mcdonald off of saturday night live? >he was the only cast member left, other than tim meadows, with any >talent. Norm Mcdonald was one of the least talented ,unfunny, boring cast members that was ever on SNL.I am glad to see him gone.I admit Colin Quinn sucks too but come on Norm was trying to be a cross between Dan Ackroyd and Dennis Miller instead of devloping his own style. The Ben ------------------------------ From: Spoonerism Message-ID: <3936071e.34bed033@aol.com> Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 22:12:49 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: "I like to play the drums" Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) Ok, I don't really see what this has to do with Doctor Worm anymore, but I thought that Norm MacDonald was one of those very few people that could be really funny without trying to be. Cheri O'Teri, whom I think is one of the shows greatest assets since Phil Hartman, seems to rely on boistrous characters. Norm's Update was said plain and simple. I think they fired him because of all the improvization that he did during the Update. Things like adding lines to jokes, complaining about how horrible the jokes were, and switching from camera to camera without warning were funny to me, but were probably hell on the Producer (not to mention that camerapeople). Anyway, I thought that his impression of Quentin Tarantino was the funniest thing I'd seen since the movie Mars Attacks! -Casey ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-380 ******************************