Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-384 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 384 Tuesday, 20 January 1998 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Sucky Wombats! TMBG: 120 minutes TMBG: 120 minutes TMBG: JJ on World Cafe (no) TMBG on American Live (yes) Re:TMBG: no, no, not i, i will survive, right down here on my knees TMBG: 120 minutes CD Re: TMBG: 120 minutes CD TMBG: songwriting collaborations Re: TMBG: 120 minutes TMBG: odd stuff...sort of TMBG related, I guess. TMBG: newbies | dr demento Re: TMBG: newbies | dr demento Re: TMBG: 120 minutes TMBG: Insect Hospital TMBG: New Candy Butchers Page Updated TMBG: 8/2/92 Don't Let's Start MP3 uploaded, among others Re: TMBG: songwriting collaborations TMBG: edison Museum Re: TMBG: songwriting collaborations Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Kaylum Message-ID: <4f2ca8fe.34c30056@aol.com> Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 02:27:16 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Sucky Wombats! Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) << What the F. I stay up late on a sunday to watch a special appearance of Them, and it turned out like this?!? I don't mind that it's a song I've heard a million times, but I do mind that they ran the credits over it. God, and not only that they cut it off before it could end. >> Yeah, I'd heard it might be like that, but the way they kept plugging it throughout the show, I really hoped they would at least air the clip in it's entirety I mean, it only had a few seconds to go! They'd never treat Oasis like that :p Kay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <01BD247E.277E26A0@s116b.rcn.nmt.edu> From: Nick Wolf Subject: TMBG: 120 minutes Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 02:01:25 -0700 NOOOOOOO!!!! I actually missed it. Damn my infernal memory. Did anyone happen to get the 120 minutes thing on tape? I don't have much to offer but I could try to make it worth your while. PLEASE HELP ME!!! Thank you. Nick Wolf ------------------------------ Message-ID: <01BD247F.39CE2660@s116b.rcn.nmt.edu> From: Nick Wolf Subject: TMBG: 120 minutes Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 02:09:04 -0700 You'll have to excuse my earlier post. I read my email and thought I'd missed it, only to find to my surprise that the Mountain time zone is...not the same place many of your are. Thanks anyway though. Signed, Nick Wolf P.S. Please forgive the Name Name format...I just had to try it out. ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson (303) 684-4722 Date: Mon, 19 Jan 98 08:34:29 MST Message-Id: <9801191534.AA00577@hops> Subject: TMBG: JJ on World Cafe (no) TMBG on American Live (yes) Well, thanks to the tip from you guys on the Joe Jackson mail-list (hi Jeff!) I made an _ATTEMPT_ to record the Joe Jackson interview on the "World Cafe" show on KUNC-Greeley, but no luck--the show was not aired as scheduled on the public radio web site. Instead, there was a show called "American Live" with Ira Glass from WBEZ in Chicago, featuring an 18-minute interview with They Might Be Giants, talking about their Dial-A-Song service. Does anybody want to make a trade? (I'm asking and cross-posting, because I know that many of you are fans of both of these artists.) Russ ======================================================================== Russ Josephson http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158 Berthoud, Colorado, USA mailto:russj@juno.com "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria "It is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do" -- 2 Nephi 25:23 ======================================================================== ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 09:06:10 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re:TMBG: no, no, not i, i will survive, right down here on my knees Message-ID: On Sun, 18 Jan 1998 cardhappy@usa.net wrote: thanks for the positive feedback on this song! i really appreciate it! > [Excuse me if I sent this message twice, but I think I sent it to the > wrong address the first time.] > Hi folks, > I've never heard this song (don't even know the title), 'the biggest one' is on the misc. t compilation album, and was also on the hotel detective EP. > but I just happened to read j. kuemmerle's interp w/lyrics included. I > agree with the phallic symbols of the snake & pipe, the water=sex motif > works, and the rest he wrote was also pretty good. > please ...absorb the images in my mind... [esp. about the doc's sugar > bowl bit!] > > >> use of snakes as a metaphor for imminent danger, and you > >> have the following: this guy is intrigued by sex, but he > >> also views it as exceptionally dangerous, most likely from > >> the perspective of 'i'm going to get hurt emotionally by > >> this'. > > which is similar to how the guy doesn't want to touch the coffee. > > >> * by 'doc's sugar bowl' my coffee gets cold > >> * 'cause i don't want to see that > >> * i've got no one to blame but my fat self > > an anxious guy who likes coffee frets in the doctor's office for a > checkup. The sugar bowl is by a mirror, or the visit itself is symbolic > for a reality check. The sugar bowl is where medecine can come from to > make his life's coffee cup sweeter, but in order to do this he must > undergo self-examination, which he avoids. excellent! so you're saying that he's not sweetening his own coffee because he's afraid to taste the coffee to determine just how sweet he really likes it? (self-examination) i just had another thought: what if 'sugar bowl' is a vaginal symbol, a la 'honey pot'? in that case, fitting with what you wrote, a healthy sex life would be the medicine that he needs, but he's too afraid to take that initial plunge of 'getting involved', too afraid of tasting the coffee and seeing what he wants out of a relationship, to come anywhere close to fulfilling these needs. meanwhile, his coffee gets cold, and even sweet coffee tastes bad when cold -- too bitter. thus, he's conscious of his own aging and the limited time he has remaining to take advantage of the opportunities of youth. alternatively, perhaps his coffee getting cold is an expression of impotence caused by nervousness and fear? (by doc's sugar bowl, my coffee gets cold...) > He is accustomed to 'locking the door' to his problems... 'should've changed that stupid lock / should've thrown away the key'... > ...rather than confronting them. "my coffee" (we know TMBG likes coffee) > is contentment and an ESCAPE from problems (reasons: the rich aroma, the > warmth, the caffeine-highs,etc.) > > As the coffee gets cold, or as his surreal happiness fades... (the aroma decreases, the warmth is gone, the taste grows bitter...) > ...the guy realizes that his problems stem from himself. He only > learns all this because the coffee was placed near the mirror. > Then add this: > >> it seems as though this guy's procrastinating stuff > >> (including, but probably not limited to the drinking of coffee) because he > >> doesn't want to realize he's to blame. of course, he already realizes > >> he's to blame, so it's not working. > > right on, TMBG soldier! my sentiments exactly! beautiful analysis! --jim kuemmerle, who suddenly has an inexplicable craving for coffee... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 18:03:07 -0500 From: Destin Berthelot Subject: TMBG: 120 minutes CD Message-id: <34C28A2B.250D@rollins.edu> No one mentioned the important bit... they're putting out a CD of live performances from 120 minutes soon, including that performance of particle man. Why they chose that, I have no idea... that's one of the worst tmbg live performances I've seen. They could have used so many others. I mean, they've been on so many times, and they use the most monotonous version of particle man I've heard... one where linnell actually messes up on one of the accordian bits? That just sucks... Destin ------------------------------ From: "Mr. Me" Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 10:16:21 CST Subject: Re: TMBG: 120 minutes CD Message-ID: <1ADE81246DA@athena.valpo.edu> i think their performance of why does the sun shine on 120 was one of their better 120 appearances as well as a great performance of that song. but nobody asked me when the cd was being made, so screw 'em over at mtv. [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "Cartman, you couldn't tell the difference between a rain forest and a pop tart!! "Yeah I can, a pop tart's frosted." --Comedy central's "South Park" [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: Web: http://www.valpo.edu/home/student/jskrenes 141 Wehrenberg Airwaves: Sunday nights, 12-2am 95.1, WVUR Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 10:25:05 -0600 (CST) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: TMBG: songwriting collaborations Message-ID: > if you are going to quote they might be giants, then just say "they > might be giants" after the quote, they write alot of the songs together > you know, just because you thought John Flansburg sang it dosent mean he > wrote it. Wellll...actually, it pretty much does. From what I've read in interviews (and in the Q & A section of an old newsletter that I can't find right now...can anybody help me out here?), they actually do *not* collaborate on songwriting. Each of them generally is the one to sing the stuff he writes. I know that I've seen this in print, but you can also especially hear this on more recent albums, that Linnell and Flans have distinct styles, both musically and lyrically. At least I think so. :) I think it is especially blatant on FS, actually. --Tara -- Tara Weber 00085244@bigred.unl.edu, Ondine@tmbg.org http://members.tripod.com/~TaraW "We want everybody to have a good time, but we're not on a rock hero trip." --John Flansburgh "It's more of a rock gyro trip." --John Linnell ****MSTie #74191, TMBGer #38978**** ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 11:47:28 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: 120 minutes Message-ID: <19980119.114918.4398.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> Hey! Train here! A really pissed off Train... I taped the 120 min. and my tape ran out during the stupid 311 video... So, I got the whole thing on tape up to that point.. by looking at my Video Bootleg I am guessing it was Particle Man since that was in 1990 and I heard Matt (who always looks rather uncomfortable on screen... It looks like he doesn't know how to stand or what to do with his hands...) say that it was from 1990... I also peeked ahead in my mail and saw that I am right... Who else is on the 120 min. CD? Tim, he talks about demons and how they move by touch Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: They Got Lost Last CD purchase:The Brian Setzer Orchestra ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 11:32:06 -0600 (CST) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: TMBG: odd stuff...sort of TMBG related, I guess. Message-ID: Hey, does anyone out there happen to have the What's Up Matador CD, the Matador Records compilation? Listen to the Thinking Fellers Union Local 282 song, "My Pal the Tortoise." Does the singer not sound just like Linnell? I thought this was pretty freaky the first time I heard it. Actually, as a matter of fact, this song sort of struck me as being sort of like a combination of TMBG and Sonic Youth. :) Incidentally, the What's Up Matador CD is a really great deal--ten dollars for a double CD set, each with 70+ minutes of music on it! Wow, I sound like an ad. Sorry. Anyway, I am convinced that Matador is the coolest indie label on the planet. I will, however, spare you all my explanation of why, since this is the TMBG list. :) But yeah, I think Linnell must have this secret identity as the singer for Thinking Fellers Union Local 282. Freeeeeaky. --Tara -- Tara Weber 00085244@bigred.unl.edu, Ondine@tmbg.org http://members.tripod.com/~TaraW "We want everybody to have a good time, but we're not on a rock hero trip." --John Flansburgh "It's more of a rock gyro trip." --John Linnell ****MSTie #74191, TMBGer #38978**** ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 11:01:00 -0700 Subject: TMBG: newbies | dr demento Message-ID: <19980119.110109.12678.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) hEy hEY! >I just joined the list like 5 days ago and am still fresh >meat when it comes to TMBG trivia... my point exactly... >If someone on the list could tell me where the FAQ is > WITHOUT BEING AN ASSHOLE ABOUT IT. I would appreciate it. www.tmbg.org/ search it, it's a very useful site... plus you find other cool stuff like the musings board (where i am official lurker #333) >I don't think you guys should make someone feel like a dumbass just >because they don't know the size of John Linnell's left foot... uhm, okay that's so not what i was saying... it's just that some other newbie posted about a week before you did the same exact thing... >Well, I've said my piece and if you care to respond please do! well, i can see someone is going to have a major malfunction with me for the rest of the time they're on the list... ____________ anyone catch dr. demento last night? i crashed after #4 (frank zappa) so if anyone wants to be cool and inform me of who the last three groups were i'd appreciate it :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ***Now, with...: punctuation - (for easy); reading!*** ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199801191838.NAA07881@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: newbies | dr demento Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 13:38:56 -0500 (EST) Jordan writes: > > well, i can see someone is going to have a major malfunction with me for > the rest of the time they're on the list... > Well, I've received lots of hate email and one death threat from friendly, happy TMBG fans for pointing them to the FAQs. (Now, if ever I feel an urge to respond to something I usually just hit 'd' instead...) Why is it that so many fans who show an interest in finding out about TMBG suddenly become hostile psychopaths when you tell them about these excellent informational resources?? (Sounds like an interesting Social Psychology question...) And calm down, most of the people whom I personally know to be psychopaths are probably no longer on the list, so let's not have any new list members getting all insulted and hostile! m@t ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980119192020.0067e0e4@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 13:20:20 -0600 From: "The Lil' Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: 120 minutes Why did they choose that one? Because PMan is there most recognizable song, everyone, ('cept TMBHeads) when they hear the words THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS, thinks "Oh, those guys who made Particle Man." LDB At 11:47 AM 1/19/98 -0500, mr.train@juno.com wrote: >Hey! Train here! >A really pissed off Train... I taped the 120 min. and my tape ran out >during the stupid 311 video... >So, I got the whole thing on tape up to that point.. by looking at my >Video Bootleg I am guessing it was Particle Man since that was in 1990 >and I heard Matt (who always looks rather uncomfortable on screen... It >looks like he doesn't know how to stand or what to do with his hands...) >say that it was from 1990... I also peeked ahead in my mail and saw that >I am right... Who else is on the 120 min. CD? > >Tim, he talks about demons and how they move by touch > Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G > AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) >Favorite TMBG song update: They Got Lost >Last CD purchase:The Brian Setzer Orchestra > > > -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980119164732.0069b53c@130.127.28.14> Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 16:47:32 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Insect Hospital WOW! I just got in Linus' "Insect Hospital" tape, and it's incredible! For those of you who didn't get it, here's a set list: Triboro (11/6/97) Dr. Worm (12/18/97) First Kiss (11/20/97) You're Older (11/13/97) Counterfeit Faker (11/6/97) Escape From The Planet Of The Apes (11/6/97) Return To The Planet Of The Apes (11/20/97) Battle For The Planet Of The Apes (12/4/97) Conquest Of The Planet Of The Apes (12/18/97) Rest Awhile (11/13/97) Finished With Lies (12/4/97) On The Drag (11/13/97) Rat Patrol (DAS) Certain People I Could Name (FS outtake) Reprehensible (FS outtake) One More Parade (Rubayait) I Am Not Your Broom (11/20/97) Georgie Girl (12/4/97) Two People In Love (DAS) They Got Lost (12/18/97) The quality varies, but for the most part, it's very good! :) TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: Garit RN Message-ID: Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 17:30:00 EST Subject: TMBG: New Candy Butchers Page Updated Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) For those of you who like Candy Butchers or think you might like them, check out the new Candy Butcher page! It's located at: http://members.aol.com/CButchers New today: Updated bio, tour dates, discography New songs in MP3, including live songs! New lyrics page! So go and look at it now, k? Thanks, Larry ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199801200202.VAA25393@hubcap.clemson.edu> Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 21:03:15 -0500 Subject: TMBG: 8/2/92 Don't Let's Start MP3 uploaded, among others From: ctyner@awod.com (Adam Tyner) Organization: http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ Hey all... I made another MP3 from the 8/2/92 Mountain Stage show. It's a great performance of "Don't Let's Start", which I know a lot of you are probably sick of, but I still think this is an exceptionally good performance. :) This has Linnell on accordion, which is always cool. (Kurt Hoffman is on keyboard.) Anyway, you can download it at... ftp://ftp.ccom.net/incoming/dls-080292.mp3 I also have The Famous Polka from this show at ftp://ftp.ccom.net/incoming/famouspolka-8292.mp3 Other MP3s I've made: From TMBG's 6/23/87 show: ftp://ftp.ccom.net/incoming/alienation-62387!!s.mp3 (Alienation's For The Rich) ftp://ftp.ccom.net/incoming/toupee-062387.mp3 (Purple Toupee) ftp://ftp.ccom.net/incoming/kissme-062387.mp3 (Kiss Me, Son Of God) Non TMBG: ftp://ftp.ccom.net/incoming/dtbs.mp3 (Weird Al performing Dare To Be Stupid live) ftp://ftp.ccom.net/incoming/hurricane.mp3 (an unreleased Presidents of USA song, 'Novocaine Hurricane') ftp://ftp.ccom.net/incoming/yff-hbdg.mp3 (Young Fresh Fellows' 'Hillybilly Drummer Girl') Enjoy, -Adam -- /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 22:49:15 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: songwriting collaborations Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 19-Jan-98 TMBG: songwriting collabora.. by Tara Lynne Weber@bigred. > Wellll...actually, it pretty much does. From what I've read in interviews > (and in the Q & A section of an old newsletter that I can't find right > now...can anybody help me out here?), they actually do *not* collaborate > on songwriting. Each of them generally is the one to sing the stuff he > writes. I know that I've seen this in print, but you can also especially the only *known* exceptions to this rule are Subliminal, Cowtown and Rat Patrol. the hard part is getting to consistently distinguish their voices... (there were some that confused me for a very long time) also, I think Flans wrote all their instrumentals. (at least the most recent 3 - Triboro, Space Suit, and Minimum Wage, which is, for all intents and purposes, an instrumental) I'm not sure about The Famous Polka. I'd think that Linnell would have had to have written that, since he's the accordion player... ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 22:48:00 -0500 (EST) From: Nunez Subject: TMBG: edison Museum Message-ID: Anybody know if Edison Museum is out on Cd, Or will be released anytime soon?? And does anyone know where I can get a middi of it?? Or did anyone ever try to make a midi, would anyone care to try?? Thank you. Please respond to me. Steve Mnunez@suffolk.lib.ny.us ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 22:14:49 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: songwriting collaborations Message-ID: On Mon, 19 Jan 1998, Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > also, I think Flans wrote all their instrumentals. (at least the most > recent 3 - Triboro, Space Suit, and Minimum Wage, which is, for all > intents and purposes, an instrumental) I'm not sure about The Famous > Polka. I'd think that Linnell would have had to have written that, > since he's the accordion player... what about siftin'? (i mean, do you know who wrote that one?) --jim kuemmerle, la, lalala, lalala la lala, la la la, la la, la la... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-384 ******************************