Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-387 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 387 Friday, 23 January 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: Lounge andTMBG Kinda-TMBG: Missing one of the *best* parts of the list TMBG: non-tmbg threads TMBG: non-tmbg bands: bnl, moxy fruvous, candy butchers??? Re: TMBG: BNL (obviously non-tmbg) Re: TMBG: BNL (obviously non-tmbg) Re: TMBG: BNL (obviously non-tmbg) Re: TMBG: non-tmbg threads Semi-TMBG: TMBG-list talk Re: TMBG: BNL (obviously non-tmbg) Re: Semi-TMBG: TMBG-list talk TMBG: sing along box Re: TMBG: sing along box Re: TMBG: sing along box Re: TMBG: sing along box Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <34C746A2.855EDD24@pacificnet.net> Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 05:16:28 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Re: Lounge andTMBG >I think TMBG could provide a wonderful addition to any future >Lounge-A-Palooza albums... How many people here own a copy of the first >one? :) Excellent stuff. >TTYL, >-Adam Yep, I have it and I too bought for the She Don't Use Jelly track. I don't particularly like BF5 but I like the original song and I'm very pleased with their lounge conversion of it. Also the very idea of Steve and Edie doing Black Hole Sun is deliciously bizarre. Why do you call it the "first" of the Lounge-A-Palooza albums. Are there gonna be more? My guess would have been that lounge-mania would be over by the time they got another one together. Did the album sell well? If there was a follow-up TMBG would be highly qualified to contribute. "We've Got A World That Swings" would fit in nicely as is though I'd hope for something new. -B O N G O ______________________________________________________ "I had the strangest dream/I dreamed I killed you again Don't make me kill you again/'Cause I couldn't bear to kill you again" -They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ From: ArwenAnaNg Message-ID: <684cce43.34c74452@aol.com> Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 08:06:24 EST Subject: Kinda-TMBG: Missing one of the *best* parts of the list Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) Anyone hear from Mike "Palindrome" Leffel? Methinks his hard drive went kaput. Very, very sad. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 06:19:03 -0700 Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg threads Message-ID: <19980122.061913.10902.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) hEY HEY! >if its "obviously not They Might Be Giants" then dont post it!!! >im really getting sick of getting They Might Be Giants mail that has nothing >to do with They Might Be Giants!!! i personally think his post was a relevant as the next (hahaaa)... i first heard about *BNL* on THIS list and actually i'm quite grateful for it... (btw, BNL are going to be on MRL sometime in the near future...) in fact i've become very grateful for most of the non-tmbg related posts... that's how i found out about *moxy fruvous* whom, living out here in the west, i prolly never would've :) and even if bargainville is the only thing i can get my hands on (yes, i searched every used cd store bin in denver) i'm still extremely grateful because it's become one of my fav albums :) i also found out about *candy butchers* here, another band that rocks the house (btw, larry your page is awesome) :) and even tho i don't have the album that is no more, i love listening to what i've got of theirs (hello subscribers... member the '95 santa special CD?) while we're on the topic... i think there's a large majority of hello bands that rock (in their own little way) uhm, where was i going with this post... i know i had a point.. ah well, kids, don't try to post after you've been up for two days straight... this is the result (and it's not pretty) :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ***your middle name is baumquishashananayolandafajita? yeah it's pronounced "bomb-queesha-sha-neigh-neigh-yo-lohn-duh-fah-heet-uh!*** ------------------------------ From: Amadais Message-ID: Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 12:50:57 EST Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg bands: bnl, moxy fruvous, candy butchers??? Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) BNL, Moxy Fruvous, Candy Butchers??? i've never heard of any of these bands could someone maybe send me some info on these bands? maybe an attached sound clip or something? it would be greatly appreciated -Amadais ------------------------------ From: SMILEY7559 Message-ID: Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 12:53:18 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: BNL (obviously non-tmbg) Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) Hello.... I must say that I completely agree with Amadais on this matter. I signed onto this list to learn more about TMBG, not BNL, or Ben Folds Five or anyone else. There were certain rules we all recieved when we signed onto this, and nearly everyone has disregarded them. If you find someone on the list who also likes other bands, and you would like to talk to them about that band, that's fine. But the TMBG list is not the place for it! It is just as easy to Email them at their own address without cluttering everyone's mail with things that are not related to They Might Be Giants. We all hate getting unwanted mail, especially those of us who get mail on bands or other things we aren't interested in. Please take this into consideration when you next post to the list, as I think a lot of people are really getting annoyed with all this non TMBG mail. Also, thanks for taking the time to read this, and feel free to respond (I have no doubt that most of you will) :). Thanks again. Julie ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19980122133008.006f986c@uky.campus.mci.net> Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 13:30:31 -0500 From: Bill J Kirby Subject: Re: TMBG: BNL (obviously non-tmbg) >I must say that I completely agree with Amadais on this matter. I signed onto >this list to learn more about TMBG, not BNL, or Ben Folds Five or anyone else. not to be picky or anything, but Amadais said something more like (paraphrasing) "Who are these bands, please tell me more!". count me among the folks who have been lucky enough to have been exposed to some other great music (including stuff i probably wouldn't have been otherwise) through recommendations on the list. >But the TMBG list is not the place for it! It is just as easy to Email them >at their own address without cluttering everyone's mail with things that are that's all well and good, but if you decide to make the list strictly tmbg, how would i have even known to contact Amadais with my input on bnl? that said, i won't post a lot of bnl stuff here (heck, you could throw all of my posts (tmbg or not) into one digest and still have room left over (assuming this mailing list is available in digest format) anyway) except that i, for one, appreciate the recommendations of the rest of the list. thanks to all who've responded to my requests for info both privately and on list... -bk ------------------------------ From: TrackmanE Message-ID: <8cb358f0.34c7aace@aol.com> Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 15:23:23 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: BNL (obviously non-tmbg) Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) In a message dated 98-01-22 13:09:07 EST, you write: << tmbg-list@tmbg.org >> what exactly is tmbj anyway ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980122152420.00695d4c@pop.indy.net> Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 15:24:20 -0500 From: Rachel Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg threads >while we're on the topic... i think there's a large majority of hello >bands that rock (in their own little way) yeah! like "the minus 5" they kick ass. but anyway, thats not the point. point is: isn't there a bnl or bf5 mailing list somewhere? isn't there a reason why this list is called "tmbg-list"? hmmmm? i understand that many are greatful for being introduced to other bands via this list but occasional mentioning is totally different than getting 10 out of 20 e- mails about a certian band's appearance on snl that i really don't care about. i'm not usually a stickler for rules so i'll just say that out of common courtesy for those who don't want unnessesary clutter in their mail boxes, could you (and you know who you are) please tone it down a little? nothing personal. thanks, rachel ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9801222305.AA11091@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: Semi-TMBG: TMBG-list talk Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 18:05:28 -0500 (EST) I have a few comments on the NON-TMBG information posted to the list. Probably one of the most important things is that we have set up a system, which for the most part most people use, and that is to put in the subject: NON-TMBG: when writing on a subject basically far-removed from TMBG but that you feel folks want to hear. Generally, everyone does not go crazy with this and type millions of messages totally unrelated to TMBG, or else this would be a non-sequitor mailing list. There is a large population of BNL and Fruvous and BFF fans on here and to individually mail them all would be nearly impossible. This is where the NON-TMBG comes in, if you see it in the subject, you don't read it if you don't care to hear about NON-TMBG things. Often, the NON-TMBG: is followed by what it's about. Almost all of the NON-TMBG posts I've seen have to do with things that many TMBG-listers enjoy and thus rarely is there much fuss about it. I guess this is an "understanding" and not really something that'd be in the FAQ but it's a great way to deal with it. Which brings me to my second point: at a time like this when TMBG is not touring, is not bringing out any new singles or albums, is not appearing on TV, it is very difficult to find something that is completely related to TMBG. Now if you take the case of the Candy Butchers, Mike Viola from the band has played with TMBG. Also, if you look at Fruvous, they have opened for TMBG and I think BNL may have as well (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm going out on a limb on this one). Now, true, this is a little far fetched, in that the talk mainly has not been about these particular threads, but still they are bands enjoyed by an overwhelming amount of folks on here (at least more than most other bands may be collectively liked). We don't really want to get draconian on the list, and I believe it is a clever device to use the NON-TMBG, it's probably one of the best mailing list techniques I've seen. To say that semi or totally unrelated chatter will never appear on a mailing list will always be a complete lie and would probably be rather boring in times like this. So I hope the dissenters to non-tmbg info. see my points. And anyway, the talk always leads back to TMBG soon enough. Thank you, Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 16:22:44 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: BNL (obviously non-tmbg) Message-ID: On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, TrackmanE wrote: > In a message dated 98-01-22 13:09:07 EST, you write: > > << tmbg-list@tmbg.org >> > > what exactly is tmbj anyway tomato butter & jelly. like peanut butter or apple butter or pumpkin butter, only it's tomato butter. --jim kuemmerle, who's in the mood for a good sandwich now. thanks! j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980122194613.006a1b6c@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 19:46:13 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: Semi-TMBG: TMBG-list talk At 06:05 PM 1/22/98 -0500, you wrote: I agree with everything you said! :) Very well put. Pretty much every band I'm into (BFF, BNL, Fruvous, Lincoln, Mono Puff, XTC) were introduced to me through this list. Changed m' life... :) >Also, if you look at Fruvous, they have opened for TMBG and I think BNL may have >as well (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm going out on a limb on this one). BNL hasn't opened for them (at least not yet), although the band is very fond of TMBG, and they were often compared to TMBG around the time Gordon was released. Flansie said in the SonicNet Mono Puff interview from a while back that he liked their acoustic stuff that he heard in Canada, btw... >Now, true, this is a little far fetched, in that the talk mainly has not >been about these particular threads, but still they are bands enjoyed by >an overwhelming amount of folks on here (at least more than most other >bands may be collectively liked). We don't really want to get draconian >on the list, and I believe it is a clever device to use the NON-TMBG, >it's probably one of the best mailing list techniques I've seen. >To say that semi or totally unrelated chatter will never appear on a >mailing list will always be a complete lie and would probably be rather >boring in times like this. I love the subject thing. I wish my other mailing lists automatically added them. TTYL, -Adam ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980122222017.006913b8@pop.indy.net> Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 22:20:17 -0500 From: Rachel Subject: TMBG: sing along box anyone else notice that when you fold up the factory showroom sing along box the correct way you can't read some of the lyrics? whats up with that!? working to resore list sanity, :) rachel ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 20:38:06 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: sing along box Message-ID: On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, Rachel wrote: > anyone else notice that when you fold up the factory showroom sing along > box the correct way you can't read some of the lyrics? whats up with that!? > > working to resore list sanity, :) ye canna restore somethin' that wa' ne'er there t' begin wi'... --jim kuemmerle, who for some strange reason has started typin' wi' a brogue... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ *** yay!!! i finally got to visit my website again!! updates pending! *** ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980123041656.0067f33c@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 22:16:56 -0600 From: "The Lil' Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: sing along box >> anyone else notice that when you fold up the factory showroom sing along >> box the correct way you can't read some of the lyrics? whats up with that!? Wha Singalong Box? -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980122231359.0069401c@pop.indy.net> Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 23:13:59 -0500 From: Rachel Subject: Re: TMBG: sing along box At 10:16 PM 1/22/98 -0600, you wrote: >>> anyone else notice that when you fold up the factory showroom sing along >>> box the correct way you can't read some of the lyrics? whats up with that!? >Wha Singalong Box? the one that was in the holiday '96 news letter, silly! :) ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-387 ******************************