Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-388 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 388 Saturday, 24 January 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: TMBG?: TMBG-list talk TMBG: list talk Re: TMBG: sing along box TMBG: threads | hello stuff TMBG: TMBG?: TMBG-list talk TMBG: Here we go again, and again, and again,...... TMBG: Please remove all recipients from the domain VPICO.COM Re: TMBG: non-tmbg bands: bnl, moxy fruvous, candy butchers??? TMBG: non-tmbg: The List problems Re: TMBG: non-tmbg bands: bnl, moxy fruvous, candy butchers??? Re: TMBG: non-tmbg bands: bnl, moxy fruvous, candy butchers??? Re: TMBG: BNL (obviously non-tmbg) TMBG: Lincoln on Vynal for Sale TMBG: Re: the 'non' subject (loooong) TMBG: NON-TMBG: I like Tomato Butter & Jelly & Subjects TMBG: sorry TMBG: hmm... i seem to remember a thread called 'i want to hear _____'... NON-TMBG: NON-TMBG: NON-TMBG: Re: TMBG: hmm... i seem to remember a thread called 'i want to hear _____'... Re: TMBG: hmm... i seem to remember a thread called 'i want to hear _____'... Re: TMBG: Here we go again, and again, and again,...... TMBG: the way things useta was TMBG: the way things useta was . . . part deux TMBG: mormons TMBG: Live in NY Re: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg posts (and new TMBG album question) Re: Re: TMBG: Here we go again, and again, and again,...... and Russ! Re: Re: TMBG: Here we go again, and again, and again,...... and Russ! NON-TMBG: Non-tmbg TMBG: mormons and balkan dances TMBG: A Self Called Nowhere Re: TMBG: A Self Called Nowhere Fwd: TMBG: mormons and balkan dances Fwd: TMBG: A Self Called Nowhere Re: TMBG: A Self Called Nowhere Re: TMBG: mormons/ hall of mayors Re: TMBG: mormons/ hall of mayors Re: TMBG: mormons/ hall of mayors Re: TMBG: hall of mayors Re: TMBG: A Self Called Nowhere Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <34C847AC.CFC04C7F@teleport.com> Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 23:33:01 -0800 From: Kerry Biggs Subject: TMBG: TMBG?: TMBG-list talk > From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) > Subject: Semi-TMBG: TMBG-list talk > Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 18:05:28 -0500 (EST) > > NON-TMBG: > when writing on a subject basically far-removed from TMBG but that you > feel folks want to hear. Generally, everyone does not go crazy with > this and type millions of messages totally unrelated to TMBG, or else > this would be a non-sequitor mailing list. You see? That's the whole problem that's been pointed out here. There ARE far too many posts that have nothing to do with TMBG, and a separate list/lists for the other bands previously mentioned are in dire need here. For the record, I _hate_ Ben Folds Five, I don't mind Barenaked Ladies but prefer not to discuss them at great length, and I still haven't listened to the Moxy Fruvous tape I found at the Goodwill. > There is a large population of BNL and Fruvous and BFF fans on here and > to individually mail them all would be nearly impossible. This is where > the NON-TMBG comes in, if you see it in the subject, you don't read it > if you don't care to hear about NON-TMBG things. Often, the NON-TMBG: > is followed by what it's about. Almost all of the NON-TMBG posts I've > seen have to do with things that many TMBG-listers enjoy and thus > rarely is there much fuss about it. I guess this is an "understanding" > and not really something that'd be in the FAQ but it's a great way to > deal with it. But, again, unless it directly interests the majority of the list, it should not be posted here, period. I don't think a lot of what's been posted lately has really interested the majority of the list. When this happens, lots of people like myself resort to lurking, and then end up missing out on any bit of relevant information altogether. > Which brings me to my second point: at a time like this when TMBG is > not touring, is not bringing out any new singles or albums, is not > appearing on TV, it is very difficult to find something that is > completely related to TMBG. Now if you take the case of the Candy > Butchers, Mike Viola from the band has played with TMBG. Also, if you > look at Fruvous, they have opened for TMBG and I think BNL may have as > well (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm going out on a limb on this one). Neither is even nearly as related as a certain little band called Mono Puff, who _is_ bringing out a new album soon here. You can't tell me there isn't anything current to talk about with this going on, can you? Kerry ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 03:40:15 -0600 (GMT-0600) From: Amy Greenlese Subject: TMBG: list talk Message-ID: someone wrote: > There ARE far too many posts that have nothing to do with TMBG, Like this one? > I don't think a lot of what's been posted lately has really interested > the majority of the list. Like this one? Being a jerk to show you all how stupid this is, Amy :) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980123114953.0067a630@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 05:49:53 -0600 From: "The Lil' Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: sing along box At 11:13 PM 1/22/98 -0500, Rachel wrote: >At 10:16 PM 1/22/98 -0600, you wrote: >>>> anyone else notice that when you fold up the factory showroom sing along >>>> box the correct way you can't read some of the lyrics? whats up with >that!? >>Wha Singalong Box? > >the one that was in the holiday '96 news letter, silly! :) Aw Too bad I decided to get into TMBG last year. :( LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 06:13:58 -0700 Subject: TMBG: threads | hello stuff Message-ID: <19980123.061406.14278.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) >To say that semi or totally unrelated chatter will never >appear on a mailing list will always be a complete lie >and would probably be rather boring in times like this. yeahyeahyeah! i don't think most of these people complaining were on here this summer when there was nothing TMBG related to talk about... pretty soon we all hated everyone and it was an ugly mess... if you hate getting excess mail, go to the digest format... sure you might complain it's a little harder to scroll down past a message that you don't want to read >yeah! like "the minus 5" they kick ass. loser so supreme! anyways, yeah, a lot of those hello cd's i just threw aside after listening to them once and planned on never listening to them again... but, i pulled a lot of them out again and listened to them all over and now i totally dig some of the bands that i originally hated. i only wish that hello was still around :( take it easy, JOrdaN *HELLO-WITHDRAWL* http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ***the official changer-of-mind!*** ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9801231459.AA11479@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: TMBG?: TMBG-list talk Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 09:59:00 -0500 (EST) > > Which brings me to my second point: at a time like this when TMBG is > > not touring, is not bringing out any new singles or albums, is not > > appearing on TV, it is very difficult to find something that is > > completely related to TMBG. Now if you take the case of the Candy > > Butchers, Mike Viola from the band has played with TMBG. Also, if you > > look at Fruvous, they have opened for TMBG and I think BNL may have as > > well (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm going out on a limb on this one). > > Neither is even nearly as related as a certain little band called Mono Puff, who > _is_ bringing out a new album soon here. You can't tell me there isn't anything > current to talk about with this going on, can you? Yes, some folks have heard the John Flansburgh's Mono Puff Syndicate stuff from their brief tour last year or perhaps have heard their tape of stuff to be on the new album, but I don't think it's that many people. Until the album comes out, or that Feb. 5 show comes along, there will be little discussion. Have you seen anyone post much Mono Puff lately? I haven't. Has there been much talk about what TMBG's doing? Not really. Do we just leave the list a wasteland for a month or 2? I would like to say that I do enjoy talking about other music subjects sometimes, but if I don't want to read it, I delete the message, especially if it has the NON-TMBG header, it's as easy as that. As far as Mono Puff goes, I am awaiting a new tour, last year's shows were *INCREDIBLE*, it brought a new liveliness that may not come along after seeing a number of TMBG concerts, perhaps it was just the change of songs & group lineup? Poison Flowers, Dashiki, Night Security, all great stuff! So there's a little Mono Puff chatter and let's hope TMBG begins touring soon, too. Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: echuss@notes.cc.bellcore.com Message-ID: <85256595.0051F73B.00@notes950.cc.bellcore.com> Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 10:33:07 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Here we go again, and again, and again,...... >if its "obviously not They Might Be Giants" then dont post it!!! >im really getting sick of getting They Might Be Giants mail that has nothing >to do with They Might Be Giants!!! Here we go again. Every few months this thread starts up. Since we have now gone down this road so many times, it is pretty easy to tell what is going to happen. In case you haven't lived through this we'll review the process. It is a 7 step process and it goes like this..... 1. People start writing non-tmbg posts. The number of non-tmbg posts grows until the TMBG related posts are a small minority. 2. Someone posts that they think Non-TMBG related posts are getting out of hand. 3. An incredible number of posts supporting each side of the issue are submitted. 4. The number of posts arguing both sides of the issue becomes so high in number that the actual TMBG related posts become a small fraction of the actual number of posts and people begin to leave the list. 5. The list administrator (Leo Bicknell) initiates drastic measures (moderation) to preserve the orginal intention of the list. 6. Some listees complain but the non-TMBG related posts diminishes and hapiness returns for a short while. 7. After a sufficient period of time, steps 1 through 6 are repeated. Now that we know the process maybe we can eliminate some of the steps and return to happiness without having to go through the entire process again and again. A safe rule for addressing the issue of non-tmbg related posts comes from basic netiquette guidleines. If you have a non-related post think before posting, "Is everyone going to want to hear this". Not every fan of TMBG is a BNL, Moxy Fruvous, or fan. You may want to keep this in mind when posting. This public service post has been brought to you by "Esperanto Televisions" - the bitchinest TVs around. :) Erik "Feeling every pocket in my shirt pants and overcoat I ready to begin but I don't know where I put my notes" ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980123083627.006a86f0@mail.vpico.com> Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 08:36:27 -0700 From: "Virgo Publishing, Inc." Subject: TMBG: Please remove all recipients from the domain VPICO.COM Please remove all recipients from the domain VPICO.COM Thank you ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 10:48:27 -0500 (EST) From: Josh Woodward Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg bands: bnl, moxy fruvous, candy butchers??? Message-id: On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, Amadais wrote: > BNL, Moxy Fruvous, Candy Butchers??? For Fruvous (a great band), check out http://www.netspace.org/~rjohnson/RA/ If you have realaudio. There's a radio show and the Albany show encoded here, both great, and reflect Fruvous in their best environment, live! TMBG content.. hmm.. Moxy Fruvous recently helped record a cover of Shoehorn With Teeth, with.. uhh.. why can't I remember the other band's name? Help? :) * ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Josh Woodward, Comp. Sci, BGSU joshw@mail.bgsu.edu Web Site and Tape List: http://www.dc-adnet.com/joshw/ "Every little child learns, if you can't see dreams, your eyes are blind." - Moxy Fruvous www.fruvous.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 15:55:03 +0000 (GMT) From: "D. Robertson" Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg: The List problems Message-ID: Would it be too much hassle to organise both a moderated and non-moderated version of the list so that people could subscribe to whichever one they wanted? Personally I find the volume of mail relating to bands I don't particulary know or care about, mildly annoying, it's either that or so-called "humourous" posts. There have been many times when I have considered unsubscribing from the list due to the lack of non-relevant posts. I keep on as this is the only real source of information about TMBG in the UK. Anyway, that's my twopence, yours, __________________________________________________________________ Sometimes Funny, Always Mispelt Flumcake On-line: http://www.york.ac.uk/~dr109/flumcake Channel F: http://www.york.ac.uk/~dr109/channelf ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980123112313.006a6690@130.127.28.14> Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 11:23:13 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg bands: bnl, moxy fruvous, candy butchers??? At 10:48 AM 1/23/98 -0500, you wrote: > >TMBG content.. hmm.. Moxy Fruvous recently helped record a cover of >Shoehorn With Teeth, with.. uhh.. why can't I remember the other band's >name? Help? :) Da Vinci's Notebook, whose CD recently was released, IIRC? TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 11:30:34 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg bands: bnl, moxy fruvous, candy butchers??? Message-id: <34C8C5AA.DC92BCA0@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Josh Woodward wrote: > TMBG content.. hmm.. Moxy Fruvous recently helped record a cover of > Shoehorn With Teeth, with.. uhh.. why can't I remember the other band's > name? Help? :) That would be DaVinci's Notebook of course! It is available on their new album Bendy's Law, along with lots of other great stuff. Check out http://www.davincisnotebook.com/ for more info! As for TMBG vs. NON-TMBG, if you don't want to read a message you get, then delete it. How hard is that? As long as people use good subjects then you should be able to decide your interest from the title. If it says NON-TMBG and you are someone who doesn't like talking about non-tmbg stuff, then delete it. - Chad "I wish Leffel were here, he'd fix everyone, er... thing" Maloney ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 07:12:39 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: BNL (obviously non-tmbg) Message-ID: <19980123.113312.12598.0.jbparke@juno.com> From: jbparke@juno.com (Jeff Parker) I personally don't mind all of the NON-TMBG posts because I like hearing about new bands, especially ones I probably wouldn't hear of anywhere else... But I can sympathize with the people who don't want to read about any band but TMBG... Since the NON-TMBG posts are interesting to some of us, why can't we just continue using the NON-TMBG and TMBG prefixes? It only takes a couple of seconds to delete the off topic messages and I think all of us who like reading all of the messages would appreciate it... this seems like kind of a petty thing to argue about... maybe i'm just biased... v^v Jeffro v^v " Why can't we all just get along?" - You know who ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 13:04:03 -0500 (EST) From: "Adam P. Fistler" Subject: TMBG: Lincoln on Vynal for Sale Message-ID: I have a copy of Lincoln on Vynal (Record) for sale. Make an offer. Reply directly to me. ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: <340927bd.34c8d812@aol.com> Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 12:49:04 EST Subject: TMBG: Re: the 'non' subject (loooong) Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) What follows, is a wee bit lengthy. Sorry but I'm in one of those unsympathetic moods - been up for.. hoo... how long, I lost track.. 2 days? (btw, if you're going to quote me to reply, DON'T DON'T DON'T quote the whole message! That's insanely annoying). **What the HELL is up your butts? ** >>if its "obviously not They Might Be Giants" then dont post it!!! >>im really getting sick of getting They Might Be Giants mail that has >nothing >>to do with They Might Be Giants!!! > You must be a newbie. ^_^ *sniff sniff* I smells a newbie! >i personally think his post was a relevant as the next (hahaaa)... i >first heard about *BNL* on THIS list and actually i'm quite grateful for >it... (btw, BNL are going to be on MRL sometime in the near future...) >in fact i've become very grateful for most of the non-tmbg related >posts... that's how i found out about *moxy fruvous* whom, living out >here in the west, i prolly never would've :) Ditto... sort of. :) But I agree with yas Jordan. We have the same tastes ergo, we share the gift of music that our TMBG lovin' friends probably wouldn't have already heard. I mean, this can't happen without "non-tmbg mail" if you want to get specific. We can't be psychic and just type in email names at random to talk about bands (at least, I know *I* can't..) -- When you're at a birthday party, and a group of people who just met are discussing someone that isn't there, do you say "why couldn't you have called each other to talk about them?" Okay.. maybe that's confusing... but the point is, we have to have met somewhere.. and this is the only list out of all the ones I subscribe to that distributes daily. Before I got into BF5, there was always talk about them on here, and it didn't concern me, but enough people here liked them, so I looked into them, and lo 'n' behold, they are now one of my many favourite bands. I don't know if you people who have your panties in a knot over this are newbies or lurkers (I don't really recognize your names) -- but we have conducted surveys time and time again (boy you probably REALLY would've pissed around those threads) about ourselves, and find that we're almost like family -- we're like from the same DNA, but we do argue and have heated discussions from time to time. ^_^ If it bothers you that much, subscribe to 'digest' format. Or just SKIP the non-tmbg messages, I DON'T think it's that HARD a thing to do. >uhm, where was i going with this post... i know i had a point.. ah well, >kids, don't try to post after you've been up for two days straight... >this is the result (and it's not pretty) :) > ROTFLMAO.. >I must say that I completely agree with Amadais on this matter. I signed onto >this list to learn more about TMBG, not BNL, or Ben Folds Five or anyone else. Well then you're committing musical masochism. I feel bad for you, what can I say. It's your loss.. >There were certain rules we all recieved when we signed onto this, and nearly >everyone has disregarded them. LOL.. Obviously a newbie. Hon. Go read some back issues.. Yes we know the rules but we are only human, and we try to follow them, but hell I lost this sentence's direction. >If you find someone on the list who also likes >other bands, and you would like to talk to them about that band, that's fine. >But the TMBG list is not the place for it! It is just as easy to Email them >at their own address without cluttering everyone's mail with things that are >not related to They Might Be Giants. Blahblahblah blah blah... If that was the case, how would we have met these people? >We all hate getting unwanted mail, So delete it. >Please take this into consideration when you next post to the >list, as I think a lot of people are really getting annoyed with all this non >TMBG mail. 3 is a lot? Because that's all I've seen so far.. Really if this was THAT bad, it'd be moderated -- and you'd only get about 3 messages a day, which may be good for you but this is a *discussion list*.. *discussion* for TMBG and THINGS RELATED. Things related includes shared interests once in a while. We are humans (well I know I am). >yeah! like "the minus 5" they kick ass. but anyway, thats not the point. >point is: isn't there a bnl or bf5 mailing list somewhere? Yeah, but they only distribute about twice a month. Mosty boring concert reviews. :P >occasional mentioning is totally different than getting 10 out of 20 e- >mails about a certian band's appearance on snl that i really don't care >about. i'm not usually a stickler for rules so i'll just say that out of >common courtesy for those who don't want unnessesary clutter in their mail >boxes, could you (and you know who you are) please tone it down a little? >nothing personal. > Blahblahblahblahblah. (yes I know damn well I'm being rude. leave me alone. flame me if you want. I'm cold as it is.) WHEN there is NOTHING minus 1 of TMBG news floating around, there's NOTHING relevant to talk about. We have our ups and downs. Like I said above to that other chick, read back issues. >There is a large population of BNL and Fruvous and BFF fans on here and >to individually mail them all would be nearly impossible. I was going to say this in a less organized sentance ;) Thanks Matt.:) >I believe it is a clever device to use the NON-TMBG, >it's probably one of the best mailing list techniques I've seen. >To say that semi or totally unrelated chatter will never appear on a >mailing list will always be a complete lie Sure, I mean, I bet the Tupperware list even talks about Rubbermaid from time to time. ^_^ >working to resore list sanity, :) >rachel You think this is bad, you musn't've seen the newsgroup, LOL. **sarah** "do I come to your job and jump up and down on the end of the bed?" - Bruce McCulloch KITH (oh no! It's off topic! I'll be ostracized!) P(B)S: Don't tell me to lay off. You won't change my opinion. I'm stubborn, especially when I'm sleep deprived. ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot Message-ID: <3515d1f5.34c8dc41@aol.com> Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 13:06:55 EST Subject: TMBG: NON-TMBG: I like Tomato Butter & Jelly & Subjects Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) Well, there seems to be a lot of talk on this list about BF5, BNL, etc. etc. poop crap, I don't care. If it's a subject I'm not interested in I just delete it, possible deficate on it, & throw it in the trash (kinda like when I get a letter from get a stupid postcard from "Mr. Electric Company," entitled "Past Due," I don't want to read crap like that! Come on, I just won't bother). Anyway, people are pissed off when we talk about other bands on here. So I ask you, can we talk about Mono Puff? Clearly, Mono Puff does not = TMBG, but yet, we can make an equation, MP+HC+3/5*rnd*DH=3/4TMBG, (feel free to manipulate that equation as much as you want). Or Soul Coughing, Frank Black, etc., as John Flansburgh has relation with these bands, so it's TMBG related in a different equation (it's so complex that I won't write it). But, if you limit yourselves to only talk about the band TMBG & NOTHING else, it REALLY limits things & get things boring, besides I never would have gotten my accordian samples if we couldn't talk about NON-TMBG things...etc. etc. Well, to be blunt, there's some value in NON-TMBG (yet TMBG related, despite how loosely things) -Jason "Mr. Hanky, the Christmas Poo" Glastetter ------------------------------ From: DrWormX@aol.com Message-ID: <53474db8.34c8f420@aol.com> Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 14:48:46 EST Subject: TMBG: sorry im very sorry that I had to get everyone started on this issue just by adding "(obviously non-tmbg)" to my letter subject. I take every bit of the blame (even though I don't deserve it), and I suggest we all shut up, stop complaining about this stupid non-tmbg thing, and get on with our miserable lives. matt turn around, turn around, there's a human skull on the ground members.tripod.com/~drworm ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 13:11:30 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: hmm... i seem to remember a thread called 'i want to hear _____'... Message-ID: :) i want to hear Them do a cover of 'dance myself to sleep', originally done by bert & ernie. i want to hear Them play nightgown of the sullen moon as a macedonian-style c^oc^ek (pronounced CHO-chek). this would be especially cool to bring horns out for. (incidentally -- if you want to hear a good example of a c^oc^ek, listen to dick dale's cover of 'miserlou' on the pulp fiction soundtrack. of course, that's a surf c^oc^ek, but you have to dig a bit further to find the *real* stuff.) i want to hear Them play a cover of 'alison gross'... the version i know was recorded by steeleye span on their album 'parcel of rogues'. i want to hear Them play somewhere out west sometime!!! (for the sake of all our utahn, coloradan, nebraskan, new mexican, etc. compadres on the list) while we're on the subject, ...uh... (the reference to the OTHER thread here is purely unintentional,)... wouldn't it be cool to hear Their take on traditional songs (a la bob dylan's 'world gone wrong' and 'good as i been to you' albums)? --jim kuemmerle, who doesn't mean to sound TOO bitter about the whole 'out west' thing; just bitter enough. j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 13:37:50 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: NON-TMBG: NON-TMBG: NON-TMBG: Message-ID: 1) reread eric's, matt's, and sarah's posts. they have said what they said better than i ever could. 2) a list devoted STRICTLY to tmbg would be dreadfully unbalanced. i can't speak for everybody, but i think i speak for a good many listies when i say that i am a part of this list for the purposes of exploring and celebrating the sum of what is tmbg-ness. and it's a continuum, sure -- i mean, it's obvious mono puff has more tmbg-ness than fruvous, which has more than tom robbins, which has more than discussions of real audio vs. mp3 vs. whatever, but where do you draw the line? on the surface, a lot of the NON-TMBG posts are just that, NON-TMBG, but if you examine them more closely, you begin to see connections where maybe you didn't before. my favorite example of this occurred last august, when a flip comment along the lines of 'maybe the Johns are actually deities!' blossomed into a discussion of ancient greek and roman mythology, which, through various permutations and among other things, led to a new interp of 'nightgown' involving hecate, one of the three manifestations of artemis/diana. if that thread had been cut short, or if it had never come to fruition, we would never have seen the connections... but this is straying from my original point, which was that no NON-TMBG would be all yin, no yang; all heckle, no jeckle, all tomato butter, no jelly... 3) off-topic discussions are fun. 'nuff said. and if you don't have anything to contribute to an off-topic discussion, you'll probably get to contribute to another one... it all balances out. alternatively, if you get sick of all the NON-TMBG posts, how about offering up a new TMBG: thread yourself? take the initiative! eat the leftover plums in the freezer! you'll feel better about yourself and others! 4) in addition to being interested in tmbg, i'm also interested in tmbg fans -- what is it that we have in common that draws us to Their music? through off-topic discussions, the answers to this question begin to start to think about emerging. and it's largely through off-topic posts that the personalities of the list members become apparent... (at least it's more obvious than in the TMBG posts...) :) 5) all that having been said, i hope that this particular discussion comes to some sort of resolution soon. i DO NOT want to see this list become moderated again. no, no, no, no, no. i think that's all i have to say on the subject right now. oh, um... never mind. 6) i think particularly helpful in all of this would be a vigilant updating of the subject line, so that those people not interested in the NON-TMBG posts might have a better idea of what they're missing. :) there. *that's* it. --jim kuemmerle, who KNOWS he's sleep-deprived when he starts using words like 'fruition' and 'manifestation' and 'permutation'... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 14:36:16 -0600 (CST) From: Jamal Rogers Subject: Re: TMBG: hmm... i seem to remember a thread called 'i want to hear _____'... Message-ID: On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, J Kuemmerle wrote: > i want to hear Them do a cover of 'dance myself to sleep', originally done > by bert & ernie. oooh! and "I don't want to live on the moon." That would rock. --Jamal ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 23 Jan 98 16:14 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: hmm... i seem to remember a thread called 'i want to hear _____'... >> i want to hear Them do a cover of 'dance myself to sleep', originally done >> by bert & ernie. >oooh! and "I don't want to live on the moon." That would rock. I love that song... I'd like to hear TMBG do a cover of maybe a Mommyheads song, or something like that.. Kirsten -- "That's the official rock thing, to speak for a generation, and since we've completely failed to do that, we're willing to speak for ourselves." - John Flansburgh, TMBG. *kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu*Kirsten Brodbeck*AKA Crow* ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 16:33:42 -0500 (EST) From: "Eric Webber (EIN tech)" Subject: Re: TMBG: Here we go again, and again, and again,...... Message-Id: I have a question, why dosen't someone start a list for all these other bands? Then maybe the rest of us wouldn't have to delete so much stuff. Take it easy, Wubba --- Eric Webber - Electronic Information Network desk- 412.622.1944 page- 412.272.1854 webbere@clpgh.org wubba@tmbg.org p-wolves@mailexcite.com ------------------------------ From: nmoos1@rachel.chatham.edu Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 16:45:00 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: the way things useta was Message-id: <01ISQ13XWQP0C6AIIX@ritvax.isc.rit.edu> Hello, all you happy taxpayers. I seem to recall a recent post where there were all these really nicely numbered arguments about things... or perhaps more than one post. well, i refuse to agree with anything that organized, but i just wanted to say, yay, that was good. I'm not through yet, of course. >Things related includes shared interests once in a while. We >are humans (well I know I am). Yeah, i want to thank each and every one of you for introducing me to all sorts of new bands i'd never heard of before... blah blah blah yackety schmackety. i actually keep a list in a text file of all the bands people have mentioned, and whenever i'm about to go out to the used music store down the street, i print the list out and buy something that's on it. I forget who it was who first suggested it, but XTC's Black Sea has been on my tape deck since it was mentioned some weeks back. That was way too verbose a reply to that sentence. Oh, and doesn't it seem like "we are all humans (well i know i am)" sounds a bit too... insistent?? i mean, nobody's species is being questioned here, but it sounds as if somebody's trying to *hide* something, if you get my drift... --pnaomi "i miss the wanton using-a-quote-for-a-middle-name" moos ------------------------------ From: nmoos1@rachel.chatham.edu Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 17:04:46 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: the way things useta was . . . part deux Message-id: <01ISQ1R7PNJ0C6A9L5@ritvax.isc.rit.edu> Hmm, it seems in all the confusion i forgot to immanentize the eschaton... well, i'll try harder next time. >my favorite example of this occurred last august, when a flip comment >along the lines of 'maybe the Johns are actually deities!' blossomed into >a discussion of ancient greek and roman mythology, which, through various >permutations and among other things, led to a new interp of 'nightgown' whoa, i never even considered that! jeez, i'm such a maroon! how else could i constantly feel helpless against the compunction to fill all five cd slots with tmbg albums and shuffle? only if they had supernatural powers... of course... being that i only joined this list in november, i feel obligated to inform you all that, though you're all beautiful and charming and special in your own little ways, it's very unfair that i was left out of this interesting-sounding discussion, and this better not happen again. so there. >3 is a lot? It is when you only have 2 fingers... (oops, i've already said too much) >P(B)S: Don't tell me to lay off. You won't change my opinion. I'm stubborn, >especially when I'm sleep deprived. What is it with this list and sleep-deprivation? get some sleep, why don'cha! --pnaomi, who could still *easily* destroy *all* of you, but would rather finish eating her macaroni and cheese. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 17:34:27 -0500 (EST) From: Nunez Subject: TMBG: mormons Message-ID: Is it true that They Might Be Giants are Mormons??? Anybody here a mormon?? my friend had told me and so I kind of was wondering now. Steve ------------------------------ Message-ID: <01BD2815.51369DC0@s116b.rcn.nmt.edu> From: Nick Wolf Subject: TMBG: Live in NY Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 15:40:52 -0700 Ok...quick question. How may songs are on the Live in NY thing? And what songs are they? Thank you Refund ------------------------------ From: Oilcan1045 Message-ID: <7111371e.34c925cf@aol.com> Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 18:20:45 EST Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg posts (and new TMBG album question) Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) I may be kinda bias here because I like BFF, BNL and the Candy Butchers a lot. But besides that, I think all of the citizens of the list bitching about the non-tmbg posts should follow this simple advice. Those in regular format: 1. Look at your list of E-Mail. Delete all with the header NON-TMBG or Free Sex!. 2. Read the rest of the posts, complaining only when you find one without the header NON-TMBG with little or no TMBG content. Those in digest format: 1. When you find a non-tmbg post, scroll down. I know this may be asking a lot, but if you take these simple steps (which should take, at tops, two minutes) we won't need all of these non-tmbg posts ironically complaining about non-tmbg posts. I guess y'all are your own worst enemies, huh? In a TMBG matter, can anyone confirm the rumour I heard that TMBG will be releasing a new album on Restless (or Bar-None, same thing)? I don't wanna get myself all exited for nothing. The Young And The Vestless, Tim Schafer Esq. ------------------------------ From: Oilcan1045 Message-ID: <9ec14f22.34c92898@aol.com> Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 18:32:38 EST Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: Here we go again, and again, and again,...... and Russ! Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) In a message dated 1/23/98 3:40:11 PM, Wubba wrote: <> I hope your finger doesn't get strained, because I'm gonna be writing a lot of them in the near future just to piss you guys off. Oh, and a question. If you're so rabidly (is that a word?) against non-tmbg posts, why did you just write one? In yet another semi-TMBG-related matter, does anyone know where I can contact the guy who makes the bootleg vid collection? I want to ask him if I he got the money for an order. Thanks. Dammit Ware, the wheels are uneven! Tim Schafer Phud ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 19:52:41 -0500 (EST) From: "Eric Webber (EIN tech)" Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: Here we go again, and again, and again,...... and Russ! Message-Id: On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, Oilcan1045 wrote: > > I hope your finger doesn't get strained, because I'm gonna be writing a lot of > them in the near future just to piss you guys off. Oh, and a question. If > you're so rabidly (is that a word?) against non-tmbg posts, why did you just > write one? Writing about the list _is_ a valid topic on the list. Being a jerk is generally frowned upon though. I'm not rabidly against off-topic posts, I just prefer not to have more of them then on-topic ones. Besides, all I did was recommend that lists be started for these other groups. Wouldn't that be nice for the fans? If you're dedicated enough to be writing lots of posts about these bands why don't you really show it and start a list? By the way I do know the info for the guy selling the videos but I tend to not help out people who are rude. Take it easy, Wubba --- Eric Webber - Electronic Information Network desk- 412.622.1944 page- 412.272.1854 webbere@clpgh.org wubba@tmbg.org p-wolves@mailexcite.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34C93E9A.877@geocities.com> Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 17:06:34 -0800 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: NON-TMBG: Non-tmbg Okay. I'm going to be very blunt and rude and moody. Let me rant. SHUT THE HELL UP! Okay, look. I'm a little pissed about this too. I've never got involved in this age-old debate until now. THINK CAREFULLY, PEOPLE. Those of you on the List who are getting all pissy about NON-TMBG posts. DELETE THEM. The topic says "NON-TMBG" for a reason. Those of you on the List that are defending NON-TMBG posts. YOU'RE ADDING TO THE FRACAS. Thank you. LEFFEL, COME BACK! -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "Is everything normal now?" "And crawling on the "Well, he hasn't got planet's face... some religious mania, and he's called the Human Race. not running around in a Lost in time, and lost circle spouting Gilbert in space... and Sullivan, so I guess ...and meaning." he's normal." ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 18:44:02 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: mormons and balkan dances Message-ID: On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, Nunez wrote: > Is it true that They Might Be Giants are Mormons??? > Anybody here a mormon?? > my friend had told me and so I kind of was wondering now. hmm... none of my mormon friends over here in SLC have mentioned it... but, then again, most of my mormon friends over here are folkdancers more interested in a good jig or ruc^enitsa, and have probably ne'er heard of tmbg... the other thing is that most of my mormon friends over here are in their 40s or older... --jim kuemmerle, who's gonna have to try to write a tmb-ruc^enitsa... any clues as to what songs would transfer well to a 7/8 rhythm?? anyone?? j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ From: Dr Worm X Message-ID: <3a0fdd16.34c955bc@aol.com> Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 21:45:08 EST Subject: TMBG: A Self Called Nowhere Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) i apologize for getting off of the subject of not having a subject, but... Did anyone else notice the similarities between A Self Called Nowhere, and one of those crappy fiona apple songs? Now don't get me wrong, I love ascn, and i deteste fiona apple, but one of her songs seems like a total rip off of ascn. Did anyone else notice this, or is it just me? By the way, getting totally off of the subject... I just got back from spiceworld, and i'm proud of it. I had to sneak into the theater, and sit in the back corner (laying low) (this is after we purchased the tickets) (seven bucks, what a rip...), and it turned out to be the BEST movie I've ever seen!!!! Seriously, I think it was the most quality motion picture I've seen since Raw Target (has anyone else seen this movie? raw target that is). later, matt turn around, turn around, there's a human skull on the ground http://members.tripod.com/~drworm If you didn't pick up on it, that was sarcasm you know, about the movie, anyway... ------------------------------ From: Shaft137 Message-ID: <380a57d1.34c968eb@aol.com> Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 23:07:04 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: A Self Called Nowhere Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) hi. >I just got back from spiceworld, and i'm proud of it. >I had to sneak into the theater, and sit in the back corner (laying low) >(this is after we purchased the tickets) (seven bucks, what a rip...), and >it turned out to be the BEST movie I've ever seen!!!! i doubt that "Spiceworld" can measure up to any double Corey feature, like "Blown Away." (the one with Nicole Eggert) here's the TMBG content. does anyone know who's in the band now? i'm sure Dan is still a-drummin' away for them, but is Hal Cragin the permanent bassist? will the horn section return? who? what? how? anyone? adam schaaf, who spiced up his life, but now it's lost its flavor. ------------------------------ From: Benmobil@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 23:12:32 EST Subject: Fwd: TMBG: mormons and balkan dances [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (message/rfc822)] [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (multipart/mixed)] ------------------------------ From: Spoonerism Message-ID: <1fe0c869.34c96d84@aol.com> Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 23:26:42 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: A Self Called Nowhere Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) Which Fiona Apple song are we talking about here? I'd really like to compare them! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980123233816.00696720@pop.indy.net> Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 23:38:16 -0500 From: Rachel Subject: Re: TMBG: mormons/ hall of mayors At 05:34 PM 1/23/98 -0500, you wrote: >Is it true that They Might Be Giants are Mormons??? >Anybody here a mormon?? >my friend had told me and so I kind of was wondering now. >Steve > > > i thought flansie was jewish? -rachel ps: i got hall of mayors last month and i didn't really like it that much at first- i was expecting it to be more like state songs, u kno with all the poppy, comical word play and what not. but now i absolutely love it, it's constantly being rewound in my car. i only wish it was longer. anyone else? ------------------------------ From: Hj bttrben Message-ID: <35175f7d.34c9758f@aol.com> Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 00:01:01 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: mormons/ hall of mayors Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) flansie is jewish. linnel is christian. thats all ------------------------------ From: Shaft137 Message-ID: Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 00:43:33 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: mormons/ hall of mayors Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) hi. In a message dated 98-01-23 23:43:28 EST, rachel wrote: << i only wish it was longer. anyone else? >> i find that both of John's CDs fit nicely on one side of a 60 minute tape with Mono Puff on the filp side. speaking of state songs, does anyone know what exactly Linnell did at the end of Nevada? it sounds like he taped a passing by parade, then dubbed his voice over later. just curious. adam schaaf, insert your own funny quote here, i'm too tired to think of one. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980124011919.0069c3f8@pop.indy.net> Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 01:19:19 -0500 From: Rachel Subject: Re: TMBG: hall of mayors ><< i only wish it was longer. anyone else? >> > >i find that both of John's CDs fit nicely on one side of a 60 minute tape with >Mono Puff on the filp side. > >speaking of state songs, does anyone know what exactly Linnell did at the >end of Nevada? it sounds like he taped a passing by parade, then dubbed >his voice over later. just curious. > >adam schaaf, insert your own funny quote here, i'm too tired to think of one. > > i was merely saying that i loved hall of mayors so much i wish there was more of it. and are you sure it was a 60 minute tape because i tried that and couldn't fit all of monopuff on the other side. thusly, to avoid the torment of trying to choose the "better" monopuff songs to fit, i was forced to leave it blank. see, any time i attempt to make any sort of compilation tape i always end up leaving out someone's favorite song. of course if anyone wants to make suggestions as to the monopuff songs that would work best in the allotted time slot please feel free. this way if anyone says "oh my god i can't beleive you left out 'insert song name here'" i can always blame the list. :) -rachel "big baby, baby mantis" eckstein ------------------------------ Message-ID: <4omMe9600ayS02Izc0@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 01:30:33 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: A Self Called Nowhere Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 23-Jan-98 Re: TMBG: A Self Called Now.. by Shaft137@aol.com > does anyone know who's in the band now? i'm sure Dan is still a-drummin' > away for them, but is Hal Cragin the permanent bassist? will the horn > section return? who? what? how? anyone? Dan and Hal are the current rhythm section. the horn section will probably not return until they're touring in support of an album - they apparently couldn't afford to tour with horns this past fall... on the non-TMBG idea - to those of you telling people to 'just delete' the unrelated messages - most people are getting this over a modem. it takes time to download something. if you've got it, but aren't reading it, you're wasting your time. only your time is being wasted by someone who posted something irrelevant. I don't mind suggestions as to other groups - that's great, it's even in the FAQ ("I like TMBG, what other groups might I like?") fortunately, this hasn't degenerated into what the newsgroup has become... ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-388 ******************************