Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-389 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 389 Sunday, 25 January 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: You know what I always say... TMBG: TMBG, or NON TMBG, that, my friends is the question... Re: TMBG: TMBG, or NON TMBG, that, my friends is the question... TMBG: LONG POST! equations | bob dylan | west | fans interests | TMBG: Re: Childish / some BNL mp3s Re: TMBG: TMBG, or NON TMBG, that, my friends is the question... non TMBG: "non topic" thread talk TMBG: NON-TMBG TMBG: TMBG and Mormons Re: TMBG: TMBG and Mormons TMBG: TMBG on This American Life; Freeman Dyson' Brain (maybe non-TMBG) TMBG: attempts at bringing the list to sanity again :) TMBG: TMBG Mormons and the STONES! Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <34C9EFC1.5A73067E@worldnet.att.net> Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 08:42:26 -0500 From: John Lambert Subject: TMBG: You know what I always say... I like to keep things on the level... I like TMBG related subjects... I like jello (green to be specific)... I like lots of things and when the list gets all angry and annoyed I like to whip out the "OFFICIAL BUTTKNOB OF THE THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS MAILING LIST" Now most ppl don't like the OBOTTMBGML, but sometimes a man's gotta do, what a man's gotta do... So beware, if the bickering doesn't stop... I will, in names of John and John and me (John) and all that is good and nice, and all that is sacred and holy, whip out the buttknob and bludgeon all of you who are bickering. Brother John "Green Jello" Lambert ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 22:54:14 -0600 (CST) From: Jason Loss Subject: TMBG: TMBG, or NON TMBG, that, my friends is the question... Message-ID: It don't matter. Stop talking about "tmbg or non tmbg" and start talking about tmbg. more than enough said to everyone and by everyone. I've been "lurking" on this list for a while, but I've been lurking around the John's backyards for a lot longer., since 1990, in fact. I am not a floodie, my first album that i bought was Apollo 18, then Lincoln, than Pink, than MiscT, than JH, than flood and FS. Needless to say, things like this are what we should be talking about. Where did you first hear TMBG? I first heard Them at my friends house, when I turned on 105.7 (The Point in St. Louis) and they were playing Particle Man. I think I saw a video earlier than that, cuz a fuzzy 1-3rd grade memory of the times I watched 80s music videos includes J&J with a head of that old guy.. And it would probably be about the time pink came out, but I"m not sure if it's a real memory, or just a fever dream.. I didn't get into TMBG until a couple of years ago, when I decided I would start buying music, instead of having a Cd collection of null. I Bought all of Weird al's CD's first (please forgive me) and realized he was somewhat humorous, but too childish to me. After much searching, I heard WDTSS, and thought, "That's my kinda band!" I didn't find WDTSS right away, but the radio guy on 105.7 announced that fateful name, THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS. Which is what this channel should be about and connected to, and always in the forefront of our minds when posting. I bought my first TMBG CD, Apollo, and my life was changed forever. Jason a.k.a. Darkheart, the supreme idler, on Efnet. ___________________________________________________________________________ "Chinese people were fighting in the park, we tried to help them fight, noone appreciated that." They Might Be Giants, Purple Toupee "1-2-3-4!!" Ramones, any song, choose your favorite. "YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!!!" Mr. Hat - South Park ___________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34CA6D89.59BA@geocities.com> Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 14:39:05 -0800 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG, or NON TMBG, that, my friends is the question... Jason Loss wrote: >I Bought all of Weird al's CD's first > (please forgive me) and realized he was somewhat humorous, but too > childish to me. After much searching, I heard WDTSS, and thought, >"That's > my kinda band!" Let me get this straight. You found Al's music childish, but not WDTSS, which was written for children? (Not that there's anything wrong with liking things intended for children, of course. Besides, there's a difference between "childish" and "intended for children." I don't find Al's music to be especially childish, though.) -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "I don't want the world. I just want your half." ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 11:40:00 -0700 Subject: TMBG: LONG POST! equations | bob dylan | west | fans interests | Message-ID: <19980124.114005.10862.4.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) hEY hEy! >but yet, >we can make an equation, MP+HC+3/5*rnd*DH=3/4TMBG, >(feel free to manipulate that equation as much as you want) this of course is the version of MP that you saw on their last 'tour' while skeleton key was on tour and DH filled in: MP + DJ***** + SP + LP = TMBG - JL >wouldn't it be cool to hear Their take >on traditional songs (a la bob dylan's 'world gone wrong' and 'good as i >been to you' albums)? speaking of covering bob dylan songs.. i know they did spin the dial (or stump the band) and sang "lay lady lay" (which is a totally rockin song off of a totally rockin album "nashville skyline") it was pretty coolio :) >--jim kuemmerle, who doesn't mean to sound TOO bitter >about the whole 'out west' thing; just bitter enough. hey, i'm bitter... not only do i RARELY get to see TMBG, i never get to see MP or moxy fruvous :( i'm even more bitter cuz i wont get to see TMBG on tour with Lincoln... grrr... :( >4) in addition to being interested in tmbg, i'm also interested in tmbg >fans -- what is it that we have in common that draws us to Their music? hehee... throughout my friends there's been this whole "getting to know you" e-mail going around where it asks you about anything from your pets to your favorite day of the week (i'm sure someone out there has had this thing go around with your friends) and you send it out to everyone the person that sent it to you sent it to (so basically you're sending it to all of your friends friends) and anyone else you want to add... anyways, oddly enough i've met some totally awesome people through it... one that went to the NYU show and one that went to the hatch shell show in boston... they've then been able to introduce me to some awesome local/unknown bands from their area based on my response to "what music do you like" i'm just blabbing here but i think it'd be cool if we did something like that here but had someone compile the results and throw 'em up on some webpage... >Is it true that They Might Be Giants are Mormons??? member the thread of are they jewish... oooh or even better "i think JOhn Linnell is gay" > In yet another semi-TMBG-related matter, does anyone >know where I can contact the guy who makes the bootleg >vid collection? I want to ask him if I he got >the money for an order. Thanks. uhm, russj@juno.com at least that's what's on the vid bootleg website now... the superbowl is coming up soon and i want you all to make sure you look for me when publishers clearing house comes to my door :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ***i wish i was mal-kewl*** ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980124141440.006a15a0@130.127.28.14> Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 14:14:40 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Re: Childish / some BNL mp3s At 02:39 PM 1/24/98 -0800, you wrote: > >Let me get this straight. You found Al's music childish, but not WDTSS, >which was written for children? (Not that there's anything wrong with >liking things intended for children, of course. Besides, there's a >difference between "childish" and "intended for children." I don't find >Al's music to be especially childish, though.) Definitely, especially if you look at some of the songs Al's never released (Making Love To A Bottle, Orgy Of One, or somesuch)... :) BTW, if anyone wants MP3s of the rare Barenaked Ladies Cheree Records EP, I'm encoding them right now...I'm putting them all up on an FTP site...just the first 3 songs 'cause the Yellow Tape version of "If I Had $1,000,000" is already readily available, and "Fight The Power" isn't on this, unfortunately. TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 14:33:30 -0600 (CST) From: Jason Loss Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG, or NON TMBG, that, my friends is the question... Message-ID: On Sat, 24 Jan 1998, Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > Jason Loss wrote: > >I Bought all of Weird al's CD's first > > (please forgive me) and realized he was somewhat humorous, but too > > childish to me. After much searching, I heard WDTSS, and thought, > >"That's > > my kinda band!" > > Let me get this straight. You found Al's music childish, but not WDTSS, > which was written for children? (Not that there's anything wrong with > liking things intended for children, of course. Besides, there's a > difference between "childish" and "intended for children." I don't find > Al's music to be especially childish, though.) > -- I find the incessant use of burping noises childish, and he's getting to be a bore.. TMBG are a little more intellectual than that. Jason a.k.a. Darkheart, the supreme idler, on Efnet. ___________________________________________________________________________ "Chinese people were fighting in the park, we tried to help them fight, noone appreciated that." They Might Be Giants, Purple Toupee "1-2-3-4!!" Ramones, any song, choose your favorite. "YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!!!" Mr. Hat - South Park ___________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: <26245fc2.34ca6f98@aol.com> Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 17:47:47 EST Subject: non TMBG: "non topic" thread talk Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) Question to you whiners: When you get "Publishers Clearing House" snail mail from Dick Clark and Ed McMahon, do you open it, read it and write them back to complain how you don't want it? When you are/were in school, and the teacher told you to get into groups and discuss the importance of the bill of rights, you joined up with your friends, was it 100% discussion about that, or was it 70% that and 30% what you're doing after school? > But, again, unless it directly interests the majority of the list, it > should not be posted here, period. Uhhhhhm,....when were you declared "the majority of the list"? >I don't think a lot of what's > been posted lately has really interested the majority of the list. Have you been conducting surveys? > When this happens, lots of people like myself resort to lurking, and > then end up missing out on any bit of relevant information > altogether. Lurking = reading without replying so i don't see what excuse you would have for missing out if you were truly "lurking". > Neither is even nearly as related as a certain little band called > Mono Puff, who _is_ bringing out a new album soon here. You can't > tell me there isn't anything current to talk about with this going > on, can you? No, as a mattr of fact there isn't much to say. Unless you want the track list.. that's pretty much it. Oh, "Mr. Hughes Says" is a veryvery coolcoolcool song. :) > Would it be too much hassle to organise both a moderated and > non-moderated version of the list so that people could subscribe to > whichever one they wanted? Personally I find the volume of mail > relating to bands I don't particulary know or care about, mildly > annoying, it's either that or so-called "humourous" posts. There > have been many times when I have considered unsubscribing from the > list due to the lack of non-relevant posts. I keep on as this is the > only real source of information about TMBG in the UK. I heartily diagree with this. If it bothers you *so* much; if you really feel that way, it sounds like you want to unsubscribe. Really if it's the best info source you have, if I were you I wouldn't be complaining about it. > 4) in addition to being interested in tmbg, i'm also interested in > tmbg fans -- what is it that we have in common that draws us to > Their music? through off-topic discussions, the answers to this > question begin to start to think about emerging. and it's largely > through off-topic posts that the personalities of the list members > become apparent... (at least it's more obvious than in the TMBG > posts...) :) Yaaaaaaay Jim!:) Good point.:) Me too. Because a lot of us seem to be along the same lines -- straying from popular culture, etc... and some really *off topic* coincidences that are purely freaky. ^_^ > Oh, and doesn't it seem like "we are all humans (well i know i am)" > sounds a bit too... insistent?? i mean, nobody's species is being > questioned here, but it sounds as if somebody's trying to *hide* > something, if you get my drift... I was implying that we as humans are not perfect, and will stray from what we are originall-- oh screw it. You found me out. I'm an alien from the planet Gesundheit and I'm working on a new species of robots who are programmed to do as they're told and never break the rules. ;) > As for TMBG vs. NON-TMBG, if you don't want to read a message you > get, then delete it. How hard is that? As long as people use good > subjects then you should be able to decide your interest from the > title. If it says NON-TMBG and you are someone who doesn't like > talking about non-tmbg stuff, then delete it. I can't say it better myself.:) All you people complaing about "non-tmbg posts" (and wasting 110% more bandwith than those posts DID), read this, and reread it. As ridiculous and blown out of proportion as this thread has gotten, no, I won't stop. As long as people keep whining, I'll keep rebutting - even though I'd like to stop, I'm one of those people who always has to get my 2 and a half cents in. Okay maybe more like 2 dollars. And I apologize for that. > I'm not rabidly against off-topic posts, I just prefer not to have > more of them then on-topic ones. I prefer no spam in my mailbox. I prefer free ice cream. I prefer a 5 day weekend. I prefer people to never complain. > Writing about the list _is_ a valid topic on the list. Being a jerk > is generally frowned upon though. ::generally frowning upon:: > I'm not rabidly against off-topic > posts, I just prefer not to have more of them then on-topic ones. > Besides, all I did was recommend that lists be started for these > other groups. Wouldn't that be nice for the fans? If you're > dedicated enough to be writing lots of posts about these bands why > don't you really show it and start a list? Wow! Gee golly! I'm gonna build myself a big-ol' domain! I'm gonna build about 100 different list-serv's! And I'm gonna gosh darn build all the machinery myself! Overnight! In the shed out back! And I'm'a gonna make'm all likea this one! 101 lists just like this! Yehaw! >By the way I do know > the info for the guy selling the videos but I tend to not help out > people who are rude. Aw, how nice.:) Actually I'm the same way. And I will remember this next time you have a question. (btw I just emailed him telling him the info so you don't have to worry about it.;)) > What is it with this list and sleep-deprivation? get some sleep, why > don'cha! It's called insomnia. Believe me, I'd like to sleep when I want to, but it's something that's beyond my control. (y'know, being an alien and all. ;)) sarah http://lava.home.ml.org "KIss my ass goodbye" - Ben Folds Five ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9801250046.AA12493@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: NON-TMBG Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 19:46:45 -0500 (EST) > Question to you whiners: > > When you get "Publishers Clearing House" snail mail from Dick Clark and > Ed McMahon, do you open it, read it and write them back to complain how you > don't want it? > > When you are/were in school, and the teacher told you to get into groups > and discuss the importance of the bill of rights, you joined up with your > friends, was it 100% discussion about that, or was it 70% that and 30% what > you're doing after school? Good points Sarah ;) >> But, again, unless it directly interests the majority of the list, it >> should not be posted here, period. > Uhhhhhm,....when were you declared "the majority of the list"? It seems that in theory a mailing list for a particular subject such as TMBG should only have posts completely related to TMBG all the time. In times when they are touring a lot or have a new album out, etc it's rather easy to follow this rule. But in all practicality, does anyone really expect this to be followed, even, say, 70 or 80% of the time? Perhaps not even a majority of the time. Jim said it well that he likes to not only talk about TMBG but the interests of TMBG fans on the list. Now this may not be true of everyone. But 1 of 2 things is going to happen when TMBG is not doing anything: 1) there will be no talk at all 2) there will be a lot of talk on semi-related, or perhaps unrelated subjects. It's just human nature folks. Just go with it, and delete those Non-TMBG posts if you like (like this one ;) ) Thanks, Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 18:48:05 -0700 From: james rogers Subject: TMBG: TMBG and Mormons Message-id: <3.0.2.32.19980124184805.00698624@email.byu.edu> > >Is it true that They Might Be Giants are Mormons??? >Anybody here a mormon?? >my friend had told me and so I kind of was wondering now. >Steve Well, I'm Mormon and I've never heard that they are mormon, and no one I know who's Mormon who likes TMBG has ever mentioned that they are....speaking of a band that is Mormon, does anyone here listen to the Aquabats? James ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 20:58:24 -0500 (EST) From: "Jessica T. Russell" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG and Mormons Message-id: Aquabats???? That is so weird. I was just going to write and tell everyone if they like TMBG then they would absolutely love the Aquabats with songs about martian girls from planet V and cats with two heads and attacks by snakes. It's kind of a combination of zany lyrics and ska. It rules. !!! The Living Behemoth *************************************************************************** "There are three kinds of people in the world--those who can count and those who can't." "Whatever doesn't kill you will make you stranger." "The world fascinates me. It's so nice. Whatever it is." -Andy Warhol On Sat, 24 Jan 1998, james rogers wrote: > > > >Is it true that They Might Be Giants are Mormons??? > >Anybody here a mormon?? > >my friend had told me and so I kind of was wondering now. > >Steve > > Well, I'm Mormon and I've never heard that they are mormon, and no one I > know who's Mormon who likes TMBG has ever mentioned that they > are....speaking of a band that is Mormon, does anyone here listen to the > Aquabats? > > > James > > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34CAA54A.4299@rica.net> Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 21:36:58 -0500 From: Joey Groah Subject: TMBG: TMBG on This American Life; Freeman Dyson' Brain (maybe non-TMBG) The local NPR station, 90.7 FM, aired the This American Life with the DAS bit and Giants interview today, and it was a great interview. They gave a number to order a tape of the show that I can dig up if anyone is intersted. I also have the segement on tape, except for the tail end of Dr. Worm when I had to flip the tape over, to which, upon learning I had cut it off, I gave an ear shattering "Eaagghhhh!" You don't know how much I wanted a tape of the Dr. Worm DAS/download... Thanks to the listie for making me aware of the apperance, and thanks for 90.7 for being behind the times, as usual. I hear tell we're going to revolt against them Brits any day now. On a completely unrelated note: I just read an excellent interview with Freeman Dyson in the current issue of Wired magazine titled "Freeman Dyson's Brain,". I'm a sucker for scientists who want science to be more accessible to people, and generally have a generally good outlook on the present and future. If you're interested go find one of his books at ayour local library, I know I will. Joey, knows he's not a TMBG list topic, but likes to think so anyway Everything is funnier with monkeys - Evan Dorkin ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 22:15:52 -0700 Subject: TMBG: attempts at bringing the list to sanity again :) Message-ID: <19980124.221601.4494.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) hEy HEy! i've spent like hours reading archived digests (heehee, member the good ol' days?) but uhm i've got a few questions... what ever happened to the live-wire interviews? anyone know? hmm... they were pretty cool up till the point where they randomly stopped :) (anyone else even member these?) is hot cha gay? (geez, am i upset that i missed this thread...) "why would they put a song like 'The Day' on their first album? In case you don't have it, it's about 'the day that Marvin Gaye and Phil Ochs got married' and the trees all (swayed and sang or something real...gay)." i mean seriously, "tell me why straight guys would put this song on their first album if they didn't want people to think they were gay?" and still... "I seem to find a lot of 'coming out of the closet' symbolism in 'No One Knows My Plan', you know, 'I must be silent, must contain my secret smile, I want to tell you, you, my mirror, you my iron bars. When I made a shadow on my window shade, they called the police and testifed'" okay... i'm really sorry to do that but everyone on the list could use a laugh right? hehee, even better is the fact that people found out that flansy was married and went on claiming he was gay :) >>>on Tue, 28 Nov 1995 13:13:51 -0500 (EST) Does anyone know if the Giants have ever played in Hawaii or Alaska? Or some other less traveled states like Montana, Idaho, New Mexico, South Dakota or such? I think my goal is to see them in every state if possible, this New Years will make 4 (if you count DC) Maryland, Virginia, and PA. --Matt<<< so matt, how's your quest come thus far? myself, i've only seen 'em in a grand total of TWO states... woohoo! anyone out there seen 'em in a grip o states? i'm guessing you people on the east coast would be more likely to do this since i go to every show w/i a vicinity of 10hours of my humble city of Denver (let's go broncos!!) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ***uhm...what can i say... broncos!! (so what if they're gonna lose?)*** ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 20:57:24 -1000 From: Marc Myer Subject: TMBG: TMBG Mormons and the STONES! I'm a Mormon, and I can tell you John and John aren't. But I understand They have a big following in Utah, maybe that's how the thought got started... Also, The Rolling Stones aren't either. But they Kicked it in a big way last night! I was at the inaugural concert of the Bridges to Babylon Tour, and boy do those old goats rock! I got free tickets and great seats and was blown away. And after two weeks here in Hawaii, even Keith Richards looked rather lifelike. Best concert I've ever seen. (Of course, if TMBG would grace us with their presence,...) Trivia: The Stones played at a private concert last Friday for Pepsi on the Big Island. Who else was there? Why, Margaret Thatcher (former British Prime Minister), former Pres. George Bush, The Spice Girls, and Elton John. Sorry, I wasn't invited. Can you imagine partying with those guys? I hear Maggie won the arm-wrestling competition. Aloha! ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-389 ******************************