Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-390 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 390 Monday, 26 January 1998 Today's Topics: non-TMBG: The Aquabats are a Super Fad! TMBG: J L Isn't Gay, And Stop Picking On Them Re: TMBG: J L Isn't Gay, And Stop Picking On Them TMBG: Buttknobs & Broomsticks (TMBG equations) Re: TMBG: attempts at bringing the list to sanity again :) TMBG: Candy Butchers page update! TMBG: new years eve show?! RE:TMBG: new years eve show?! TMBG: My MP3 page TMBG: tmbg-list Digest #3-389 Re: TMBG: Buttknobs,Broomsticks& talking poos TMBG: the replacements... TMBG: This American Life number Re: TMBG: attempts at bringing the list to sanity again :) TMBG: Digest Mode Re: TMBG: attempts at bringing the list to sanity again :) TMBG: the day (quasi-longish)... Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 23:58:12 -0700 From: chickenheads@geocities.com (Joe & The Chicken Heads) Subject: non-TMBG: The Aquabats are a Super Fad! I don't know if this has already been mentioned here because I'm on the digest version but Joe & The Chicken Heads have declared war on the Aquabats. Find out all about it at http://members.xoom.com/cluckin/superfad.html >Aquabats???? That is so weird. I was just going to write and tell >everyone if they like TMBG then they would absolutely love the Aquabats >with songs about martian girls from planet V and cats with two heads and >attacks by snakes. It's kind of a combination of zany lyrics and ska. It >rules. !!! >The Living Behemoth ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34CB68D1.3A135E69@mix-net.net> Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 12:31:17 -0400 From: Campbell Subject: TMBG: J L Isn't Gay, And Stop Picking On Them TMBG Girl writes: oooh or even better "i think JOhn Linnell is gay" * ----------------------------------------- No, No, No, No John Linnell has written too many "love" songs about females. And I just know That he is not gay, TRUST ME. Just because he is tall+skinny, neat, and single, doesn't mean he is gay, stop stereotyping! If anyone is gay it probably, maybe, i seriously don't even wan't to suggest it, but it would be Flans, but he's married. So NO ONE IS GAY!!!! Other people are saying people on the list need to laugh about this, It's Not A Laughing Matter, don't even try to suggest it, Please. I'm not trying to be mean or nasty or anything, but John has never done anything to be mean to you, has he? Thank you very much :-) -Chris "Feeny" Campbell [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34CBAF02.1B5A@geocities.com> Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 13:30:42 -0800 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: J L Isn't Gay, And Stop Picking On Them Campbell wrote: > > TMBG Girl writes: > > oooh or even better "i think JOhn > Linnell is gay" > > ----------------------------------------- > No, No, No, No > > John Linnell has written too many "love" songs about females. > And I just know That he is not gay, TRUST ME. > Just because he is tall+skinny, neat, and single, doesn't mean he is > gay, stop stereotyping! Actually, both Johns are married. -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "I don't want the world. I just want your half." ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot Message-ID: <2a525a20.34cb7df3@aol.com> Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 13:01:21 EST Subject: TMBG: Buttknobs & Broomsticks (TMBG equations) Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) >>this of course is the version of MP that you saw on their last 'tour' >>while skeleton key was on tour and DH filled in: >>MP + DJ***** + SP + LP = TMBG - JL That's somewhat close, however, during the last Mono Puff tour, Hal was not playing bass for TMBG, Grahm, was (I think I spelt his name wrong), but because of the fact that both TMBG & Mono Puff seem to like the change the lineup a lot, there's got to be a random number in there, oh & I forgot to add imaginary numbers into the equation for when they play "Felt Tip Pen." It just gets too complex...& some people have died in the process of dedicating their lives to the struggle of finding to true excact equation. (It's kind of like trying to find the last digit of pi) jason "mr. hanky, the christmas poo" glastetter =========================== Visit the official homepage of Poingly: http://www.poingly.com =========================== ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sun, 25 Jan 98 13:02 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: attempts at bringing the list to sanity again :) >is hot cha gay? (geez, am i upset that i missed this thread...) Hee hee... That was a fun one. :) Kirsten -- "That's the official rock thing, to speak for a generation, and since we've completely failed to do that, we're willing to speak for ourselves." - John Flansburgh, TMBG. *kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu*Kirsten Brodbeck*AKA Crow* ------------------------------ From: CButchers Message-ID: <380d51ba.34cb8685@aol.com> Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 13:37:55 EST Subject: TMBG: Candy Butchers page update! Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) Hi gang, I updated the Candy Butchers page today. Primary additions are to the lyrics page and to the reviews page. Check it out! http://members.aol.com/Cbutchers See you there! Larry ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 12:52:56 -0700 Subject: TMBG: new years eve show?! Message-ID: <19980125.125337.3334.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) hEy HEy! >12/31/97 Worcester Polytechnic Institute; Worcester, MA anyone know anything about this show (ie was anyone there? why didn't they ever list this show with the rest of their tourdates? was it another one of those "secret halloween shows" but this time it's a "secret new-years eve show" or am i just whistling in the dark?) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ***oblivious and proud!*** ------------------------------ From: SMILEY7559 Message-ID: <20b017a3.34cbaa43@aol.com> Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 16:10:19 EST Subject: RE:TMBG: new years eve show?! Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) hi. I heard nothing of a new year's eve show, but I was at the one at the same place on 12/15/97. I don't know if that helps you any, but no one I know here in MA has heard of it either, or we all would have gone. It was a great show, my third TMBG concert in 2 years, and the best one yet. Have a great day! Julie ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 17:35:51 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib Subject: TMBG: My MP3 page Message-ID: I would like to remind everyone that my (huge) TMBG MP3 page is back up and running with a new address. It's at http://149.159.119.44/ or http://as-119-44.ashton.indiana.edu/ I'm still missing a few files that I used to have (around 10 of the more rare ones), so if anyone has those and could upload them, that would be great. Also, I'm still looking for any files I don't have (i.e. the ones that say "Coming Soon" or ones you don't even see links for), so if anyone wants to upload those, that would also be great. Thanks a lot, and I hope to see you on my page. RS ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199801260037.TAA26240@mime2.prodigy.com> From: PJDX97D@prodigy.com (MISS MEREDITH D MCCRAW) Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 19:37:17, -0500 Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list Digest #3-389 hi-- i'm a new member to this list thingy, but the bickering really is annoying... even to a newcomer like me. anyway, in tmbg related things, in the song we're the replacements by tmbg, are they talking about being the band the replacements, or simply being replacements? one of my friends asked me this question and i had no answer for him, even though i am a big fan. so your input either here or in private correspondence would be appreciated. adios-- meredith ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980126010539.20799.rocketmail@send1a.yahoomail.com> Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 17:05:39 -0800 (PST) From: Amanda Nichols Subject: Re: TMBG: Buttknobs,Broomsticks& talking poos > > >>this of course is the version of MP that you saw on their last 'tour' > >>while skeleton key was on tour and DH filled in: > >>MP + DJ***** + SP + LP = TMBG - JL You forgot to adjust for high altitude cooking. :) Yes and no, though. Mono Puff is more groove-oriented, or as Joshua Fried put it: "kind of a rock review-kitch type thing." Yeah, Steve (purple beanbags for everyone!) Calhoon wasn't thre, but he's very happy with Mono Puff, and from what he said (reach back in the digest to see when it was that I talked to him), he can't wait for the new disc to come out. MONO PUFF ON FEB 5th!! WHOO-HOO!!! Welcome back from the volcano, Rob. Hope ya didn't die.. Amanda (of the hill people) _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 18:10:38 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: the replacements... Message-ID: On Sun, 25 Jan 1998, MISS MEREDITH D MCCRAW wrote: > ...in the song we're the replacements by tmbg, are they talking about > being the band the replacements, or simply being replacements? one of > my friends asked me this question and i had no answer for him, even > though i am a big fan. so your input either here or in private > correspondence would be appreciated. i've always heard that it was about the band; i think maybe the replacements and TMBG toured together at some point, i know one of the replacements is named tommy, etc.... but then again, the other interpretation had never even occurred to me, so it would be foolish of me to dismiss it offhand... --jim kuemmerle, rock n' rollin' till the break of dawn... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34CBFBF2.5CFF@rica.net> Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 21:58:58 -0500 From: Joey Groah Subject: TMBG: This American Life number I've had a few (2) requests for the number for This American Life tapes, so I'm gonna post it now that I've got it: 312-832-3380. It's the show featuring the phone, phone calls, and TMBG. The show is an hour, the Giants segment is about 15-17 minutes. Joey, likes to say "Favre" And for those of you who miss your regular dose of insanity, here is an e-mail conversation from the past: Joey: > Joey, going to work Halloween night with sporting a Van Dyke, pretending > to be his evil twin. Mike Leffel: Ottoman?! Joey: >A professor called me Joel yesterday, I'll just > let her keep doing it for laughs. Mike: You can't control when the laughter starts or ends, because you used the parts to make your robot friends... Joey: > Just like that guy at work that > called me Tim. Mike: I love it when people call me WAFFLE or LETHAL or LEFTY. It takes aaaall the guilt away when I pour strange, transparent, homebrewn chemicals into their drinks. ------------------------------ From: Amadais Message-ID: <50cf6d47.34cc0d4a@aol.com> Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 23:12:56 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: attempts at bringing the list to sanity again :) Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) In a message dated 98-01-25 00:37:04 EST, JOrdaN wrote: << "why would they put a song like 'The Day' on their first album? In case you don't have it, it's about 'the day that Marvin Gaye and Phil Ochs got married' and the trees all (swayed and sang or something real...gay)." i mean seriously, "tell me why straight guys would put this song on their first album if they didn't want people to think they were gay?" >> well, i really dont think that putting a song like "The Day" on an album necisarily means that they're gay. i dont really know much about Marvin Gaye or Phil Ochs, Did they really get married? If so They Might Be Giants might just be stating that they think there is nothing wrong with that.I know that Marvin Gaye and Phil Ochs are famous musicans, so maybe The Day is about the combining of the styles of Marvin Gaye and Phil Ochs. Whatever it is, dont jump to any conclusions. Even if They Might Be Giants are gay, does that change anything about them? Does that deniey them of being one of the best bands in the world? Does that make their songs sound bad? Does that make them uncreative? -Amadais ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34CC11D8.2521@stlnet.com> Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 22:32:29 -0600 From: Lynne Subject: TMBG: Digest Mode Hey, is there a digest mode to this fine list? If there is can someone tell me how to switch to it..? I hate loading 55 pieces of mail each time I sign on. Thanks. Chris chrisl@stlnet.com "Support plagiarism. Buy Windows95." ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980126045442.0067c028@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 22:54:42 -0600 From: "The Lil' Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: attempts at bringing the list to sanity again :) I can state as a matter of fact, that Marvin Gaye is a Musiscian. He did that song, "Sexual Healing." The combining of musical styles idea sounds very valid. It could be that they just took two names and wrote a song. JSL and JCF haven't always been the straitest people, (In thought.) in fact a lot of their songs don't follow any noticable path. I think they write songs to write songs so we can listen to them. Let's not try to read into every one of the songs. And oh yeah, Any Kevin Smith fans out there? The original ending to clerks has startled me something severe. L "I've been Reduced to lurker status, ever since [L]effel left." D "I'm ticke[D] that I cannot find any sites about BannannaMan." B "Um, go read Howard the Duck, or watch the Movie, Lea Thompson played [B]everly." At 11:12 PM 1/25/98 EST, Amadais wrote: >In a message dated 98-01-25 00:37:04 EST, JOrdaN wrote: > ><< "why would they put a song like 'The Day' on their first album? In case > you don't have it, it's about 'the day that Marvin Gaye and Phil Ochs got > married' and the trees all (swayed and sang or something real...gay)." > i mean seriously, "tell me why straight guys would put this song on > their first album if they didn't want people to think they were gay?" >> > >well, i really dont think that putting a song like "The Day" on an album >necisarily means that they're gay. i dont really know much about Marvin Gaye >or Phil Ochs, >Did they really get married? If so They Might Be Giants might just be stating >that they think there is nothing wrong with that.I know that Marvin Gaye and >Phil Ochs >are famous musicans, so maybe The Day is about the combining of the styles of >Marvin Gaye and Phil Ochs. Whatever it is, dont jump to any conclusions. >Even if They Might Be Giants are gay, does that change anything about them? >Does that deniey them of being one of the best bands in the world? >Does that make their songs sound bad? >Does that make them uncreative? > > > -Amadais > > > > > > > > > > > > > -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 22:09:27 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: the day (quasi-longish)... Message-ID: just a little while ago, that funky guy called LDB wrote: > It could be that they just took two names and wrote a song. > JSL and JCF haven't always been the straitest people, (In thought.) in fact > a lot of their songs don't follow any noticable path. I think they write > songs to write songs so we can listen to them. Let's not try to read into > every one of the songs. awwwwww, come on!! i *like* reading into every one of the songs!!! :) for the record: yes, marvin gaye was a musician. considered by many to be one of the pinnacles of soul/r&b. he was shot and killed by his father sometime in the early eighties. he did, among others, 'sexual healing', 'what's goin' on', 'i heard it through the grapevine', 'mercy mercy me' (not to be confused with 'mercy mercy mercy' -- that was cannonball adderly), 'i want you' (not to be confused with bob dylan's song of the same name), etc.... likewise, phil ochs was a musician. of the folkie/protest singer variety. i can't specifically recall the names of any of his songs, but the faq lists 'i ain't marchin' anymore', 'outside of a small circle of friends', and 'tape from california'. his songs pulled no punches. ever. ever, ever, ever. he made many enemies in the folk music scene that way. especially with 'outside of a small circle of friends'. he committed suicide in his sister's bathroom. anybody know when?? i would guess late 70s-early 80s, but i've got no info to substantiate that. my personal theory on 'the day' is that it is (in Their own odd way) a song of mourning of having lost two great musicians in such a short span of time. marvin gay and phil ochs getting married is a metaphor for their union in death -- i'll let somebody more religiously versed handle any extrapolations there. the trees waving their giant arms, happiness bleeding from every streetcorner, and biplanes bombing with fluffly pillows are, somehow, the acts of mourning that follow hearing the news that both marvin gaye and phil ochs are dead. (fluffy pillows?? ya got me.) musically, i would say that this song is similar to neither marvin gaye's nor phil ochs's styles. incidentally, there's plenty of precedent for musicians mourning each other: other instances that come immediately to mind are 'american pie' by don mclean which among other things mourns buddy holly, 'n.y.c.'s no lark' by bill evans, mourning sonny clark (the title's an anagram), 'miles davis' funeral' by morphine... i know there are others, but there they begin escaping me. --jim kuemmerle, wondering if the fluffy pillows are a reference to either monty python or anna freud... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ btw, i didn't mean for this to metastasize into yet another interp. it just sorta... happened... ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-390 ******************************