Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-393 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 393 Thursday, 29 January 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: NPR | talkin to flansy | flansy's wife's band... Re: TMBG: Space Ghost / Guitar Stuff TMBG: 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon TMBG: Liberate happy WDTSS Man! Re: TMBG: 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon TMBG: MP3's posted Re: TMBG: Space Ghost / Guitar Stuff TMBG: John Linnell's albums Re: TMBG: John Linnell's albums TMBG: House of States Re: TMBG: Hitting The Ground Re: TMBG: MP3's posted Re: TMBG: John Linnell's albums Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 06:04:18 -0700 Subject: TMBG: NPR | talkin to flansy | flansy's wife's band... Message-ID: <19980128.060555.12758.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) > the tapes are (w/ s&h) >$10. my friend thought i was crazy for spending $10 >on only 15 minutes of tmbg, but i guess i just love them >that much. or maybe i really am obsessed? ...but aren't >we all! :) why don't you wait till these tapes get into circulation with the bootleg traders, then you'll easily be able to get a copy of it... there's also a web page that's gonna have it in .ra (some chicago radio station) they've got all of the ones through the show before "telephone" so i figure it should be up any day... i'll find the URL if you guys want it. > and I think at MIGHT be him If you would >like a copy of the interveiw, E-mail me. Lets find out if its really >him! ALEX!!! quit playing with people's minds i tell you... it's not funny, you get these peoples hopes up and then their world comes crashing down upon them! >well, while we are on the subject of flansy's wife- > someone (it may have been here or the newsgroup) >said something about her having her own band? >anyone? anyone? yeahyeahyeah, it's called *spondee* i typically have this huge aversion to chick singers and i still dig this band... yes, this was long before i found out that she was flansy's wife... the only release they have is the june 1995 hello cd (i think... anyone that wants to enlighten me PLEASE do so!) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ***Now, with...: punctuation - (for easy); reading!*** _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 10:44:55 CST Subject: Re: TMBG: Space Ghost / Guitar Stuff Message-ID: <2864B710E89@athena.valpo.edu> i doubt we'll be able to get ahold of the tmbg cartoon planet theme. to the best of my knowledge, elektra didn't know that cartoon planet was using noone knows my plan as the theme, which is why it's no longer the theme. so i doubt that elektra would be willing to put it on a non-elektra release without generous royalties. in response to tableture, guitar tab is evil. sure it's a helpful tool, but it should only be used in extreme circumstances. otherwise, you should learn how to sight read musical notation like any other instrument. if you don't, it'll catch up to you. i'm just now learning sight reading and i've been playing six or seven years. trust me, it's best to learn sight reading first. chord books are good, but learn how to bar chord as well. once you learn major and minor, dom 7th and maj 7ths, and multiple voicings for each, you'll have access to hundreds of chord possiblities. otherwise, you'll have to learn an open voicing for each new chord. and some of those open voicings are pretty convoluted. my $.02 on guitar playing. also in regards to tmbg.org chords, is anybody sure that the chords for 'women and men' are right? they don't sound like it. also, the chords for 'hey mr. dj' and 'santa's beard' need to be raised up a step, either by changing the key or using a capo. i've found that the capo is easiest. ta. jeremy 'instead of making new weapons of destruction, we should get some use out of the ones we already have' skrenes [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "Cartman, you couldn't tell the difference between a rain forest and a pop tart!! "Yeah I can, a pop tart's frosted." --Comedy central's "South Park" [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: Web: http://www.valpo.edu/home/student/jskrenes 141 Wehrenberg Airwaves: Sunday nights, 12-2am 95.1, WVUR Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980128124302.006a0e88@130.127.28.14> Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 12:43:02 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon On the TMBG wwwboard, we were playing 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon with TMBG, and I came up with 2 steps. Can anyone beat this? * STEP ONE: XTC's song "Happy Families" is on the soundtrack of the Kevin Bacon movie "She's Having A Baby". * STEP TWO: XTC -> TMBG in several ways...pick one. 1) Both were on the Carmen Sandiego CD 2) Brian Doherty has drummed for both bands 3) TMBG's cover of "25 O'Clock" (there are certainly more) TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 15:01:16 -0600 (CST) From: John Shaft Subject: TMBG: Liberate happy WDTSS Man! Message-ID: There's a copies place in Manhattan that has the WDTSS man on a sign in the store, but i think he's happier there than at a furniture liquidation, because hey, those copier people can get kind of nutty. scott 'der man mit dem sho(e)nen bard' reed > Wow! I was just lost in the wilds of Culver City, and I saw this big > Banckruptcy Liquidation store and they had these giant signs that said > Thank You For Shopping At Great Big Picture of the WDTSS Man. I must go > back there in the dead of night and liberate him. Liquidation is a sad and > goulish occupation, they don't deserve such a cheerful logo. > Sarah "maybe Leffel eloped with Augiewan" Winningham > > ------------------------------ > > End of tmbg-list Digest #3-392 > ****************************** > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34CF9F6C.F18AD707@ibm.net> Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 16:13:16 -0500 From: ew0k Subject: Re: TMBG: 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon I actually traced TMBG to Kevin Bacon through Flans' listing in the credits of "Ed and his Dead Mother" for writing "Everything Right is Wrong Again." From there I went: Eric Christmas was in All of Me with Steve Martin Steve Martin was in Planes, Trains & Automobiles with KEVIN BACON So Flans has a Bacon number of 3 and Linnell has a Bacon number of 4 (considering you have to link Linnell to Flans through TMBG) -Robyn- (ew0k) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 16:45:33 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <199801282145.QAA24132@ussenterprise.ufp.org> From: The Denominator Subject: TMBG: MP3's posted Hey all, I just made a page for the songs my band did for teh We Might Be Giants, Too album... the page sucks right now but the songs are there in mp3 format... so if you wanna get a taste of what we did go to: http://centum.utulsa.edu/~maxwellkd/band.html thanks, The Denominator ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 18:54:15 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Space Ghost / Guitar Stuff Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 28-Jan-98 Re: TMBG: Space Ghost / Gui.. by JSKRENES@Athena.valpo.ed > also in regards to tmbg.org chords, is anybody sure that the chords for > 'women and men' are right? they don't sound like it. also, the chords for I'm pretty sure those are wrong. I've tried to play along with it and just can't figure it out... it's also possible that they're misaligned with the lyrics... (I think that was the problem on the first line, anyway) > 'hey mr. dj' and 'santa's beard' need to be raised up a step, either by > changing the key or using a capo. i've found that the capo is easiest. > ta. yes, and I believe the files say that. I've actually taken the time to transpose them (because I play keyboards, and you can't put a capo on a keyboard...) also, Hey Mr. DJ isn't quite right. but I don't have the correct chords on me.... (it's actually only off by one chord, if memory serves) plus, I'll have the chords to Dr. Worm (the full version) Real Soon Now. as soon as I get a really kick ass recording of it..... ------------------------------ From: Amadais Message-ID: Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 19:20:46 EST Subject: TMBG: John Linnell's albums Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) hi, i have known about John Linnell's albums, Hall of Mayors and State Songs, for a while now but i just cant seem to find them. if anyone could help me here it would be greatly appreciated. also, has anyone had any trouble with the videos at the offical They Might Be Giants site? i have downloaded them all (and saved them), including Dr. Worm and I Am Not Your Broom. the only one that worked for me was the Hotel Detective video. am i doing something wrong? maybe someone could send them to me, maybe then they would work. oh yeah, and i finally got a chance to watch my recording of the 120 minutes with They Might Be Giants. and it was GREAT!!! i have never seen John Linnell play an accordian before so it was a great moment for me. and i dont know why all of you have been saying it was so bad, i thought it was awsome!! and could see how John Flansburgh played the guitar part for it (even though it is in another key than the album). just because it's one of their biggest hits dosent make it bad you know. has anyone heard any news on the Hitting The Ground soundtrack? They Might Be Giants were supposed to do a song called "Allison" on it. i dont even know if the soundtrack has been released yet. -Amadais ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 28 Jan 98 19:29 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: John Linnell's albums > has anyone heard any news on the Hitting The Ground soundtrack? They Might >Be Giants were supposed to do a song called "Allison" on it. i dont even know >if the soundtrack has been released yet. Wonder if that's a cover of the old Elvis Costello song? Kirsten -- "That's the official rock thing, to speak for a generation, and since we've completely failed to do that, we're willing to speak for ourselves." - John Flansburgh, TMBG. *kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu*Kirsten Brodbeck*AKA Crow* ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199801290100.UAA13104@ee.net> Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 19:56:15 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: House of States Hey... has anyone been having trouble with the TMBG catalog? I ordered both State Songs and Hall of Mayors in November (by mail), my check has been cashed, yet I haven't received these yet. SHould I call and complain? Should I send more money? I don't know... I just... don't... know... Also, anyone still interested in IPCDs please e-mail me, and if you have an IPCD already I would appreciate some more feedback, perhaps a Review-type critique thing... tell me what's wrong with it... If you don't know, don't ask... -ec ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980128192958.006a3fc8@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 19:29:58 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Hitting The Ground [Unknown MIME type or encoding (text/enriched), contents not processed] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980128191514.006a11d0@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 19:15:14 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: MP3's posted That link doesn't work. :( TTYL, -Adam At 04:45 PM 1/28/98 -0500, you wrote: >Hey all, > > I just made a page for the songs my band did for teh We Might Be >Giants, Too album... the page sucks right now but the songs are there in mp3 >format... so if you wanna get a taste of what we did go to: > >http://centum.utulsa.edu/~maxwellkd/band.html > >thanks, > > The Denominator > > > ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 22:49:15 -0500 (EST) From: 99 and 44/100% MIKe! Subject: Re: TMBG: John Linnell's albums Message-ID: On Wed, 28 Jan 1998, Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: > > has anyone heard any news on the Hitting The Ground soundtrack? They Might Be Giants were supposed to do a song called "Allison" on it. i dont even know if the soundtrack has been released yet. > > Wonder if that's a cover of the old Elvis Costello song? > Nope, it's a song written by Gordon Gano especially for TMBG and this movie. We're getting on about three years after this song was initially announced in a TMBG newsletter. The song does exist. MIKe *TMBG Info Club ID No: 18902* THE COOLEST PLACE TO BE - Mr Flippy's Red Light Funtime Party Hour --->http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy<--- AND: Check out the webzine JournalX at www.journalx.com Want to be on my short story mailing list? Just tell me so. *-----------------------------* Food processors are great. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-393 ******************************