Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-398 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 398 Tuesday, 3 February 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: non-tmbg : BNL | huffamoose Re: TMBG: bootlegs & related odd TMBG CD's TMBG: Dooh! Re: TMBG: bootlegs & related odd TMBG CD's Re: TMBG: bootlegs & related odd TMBG CD's TMBG: stumpbox? Re: TMBG: Fun D-A-S Tip O' The Day Re: TMBG: stumpbox? TMBG: Fw: Virus information -- important! Re: TMBG: Fw: Virus information -- important! TMBG: CRUD! sorry 'bout that! TMBG: OPEN:VERY COOL:) Re: TMBG: OPEN:VERY COOL:) Re: TMBG: Fw: Virus information -- important! Re: TMBG: bootlegs & related odd TMBG CD's TMBG: Otis Ball Re: TMBG: bootlegs & related odd TMBG CD's TMBG: DAS stuff TMBG: The Guitar Singal + FLANSY!! TMBG: "flansie"'s guestbook signage TMBG: Bootlegs Non TMBG: Re: gary oldman and Space Re: TMBG: The Guitar Singal + FLANSY!! Re: TMBG: The Guitar Singal + FLANSY!! Re: TMBG: The Guitar Singal + FLANSY!! Re: TMBG: bootlegs & related odd TMBG CD's Re: TMBG: The Guitar Singal + FLANSY!! TMBG: Linnell???? Re: TMBG: bootlegs & related odd TMBG CD's Re: TMBG: Linnell???? TMBG: Thank You In Advance! Re: TMBG: Thank You In Advance! :Chain letter Re: TMBG: Thank You In Advance! :Chain letter Re: TMBG: Thank You In Advance! Re: TMBG: Thank you in advance: Chain Letter! Re: TMBG: Thank You In Advance! NON TMBG: Thank You In Advance! TMBG: hello fans Re: TMBG: hello fans NOT-TMBG: AFTER ALL Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 06:57:29 -0700 Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg : BNL | huffamoose Message-ID: <19980202.065758.14446.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) hEy HEy! i heard Barenaked ladies on modern rock live tonight... pretty cool, i must say that these guys seem to get better and better every time i hear 'em :) anyways, i recorded the show if anyone is interested... >So, what are they like? Toad the Wet Sprocket-ish, TMBG-ish, or >just Huffamoose-ish? huffamoose is awful... that's all there is to it. i went to one of their shows last summer (cuz ti was free and what not) and all i have to say is it was one of the few concerts i have ever walked out on in the middle... take it easy, JOrdaN chiasmus JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ***esope reste ici et se repose!!*** _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 02 Feb 1998 09:04:06 -0500 (EST) From: Josh Woodward Subject: Re: TMBG: bootlegs & related odd TMBG CD's Message-id: On Sun, 1 Feb 1998 Happyfroot@aol.com wrote: > Ok, I was reading over some stuff about some guy/girl/thing in Michigan & how > he/she/it (pardon me, I didn't bother checking gender) could only find bootleg > stuff of Nirvana, Pearl Jam, etc. etc. Good. If concert bootlegs of TMBG started showing up in stores, their taping policy of "as long as I don't see it" may change drastically. Newbies can go to tmbbootlegs.home.ml.org (a great page), and browse lots of lists, and find someone who won't swindle a 2:1 ripoff. They can get a TMBG tape for the price of the tape and postage, instead of paying $40 for the bootleg CD. > 3) The Then Promo CD (Basically, this is a CD a lot of stores got with I think > it was 17 tracks on it from Then to play as a sort of tease in the stores, > there's nothing special on this, but it is a "bootleg" CD, sorta...) Not really, it's a promo CD, manufactured by Elektra. It's an authorized recording (as were the others listed above), and thus are not bootlegs. * ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Josh Woodward, Comp. Sci, BGSU joshw@mail.bgsu.edu Web Site and Tape List: http://www.dc-adnet.com/joshw/ "Empty bowl, empty spoon.." - Moxy Fruvous www.fruvous.com ------------------------------ From: echuss@notes.cc.bellcore.com Message-ID: <8525659F.004C992B.00@notes950.cc.bellcore.com> Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 09:42:31 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Dooh! << Did anyone here go to last night's John Flansburgh's Mono Puff Syndicate <Umm, unless this was some secret show, the only Mono Puff show >date is Feb. 5, which is one week from yesterday. >adam schaaf, tempus fugitive. Yeah, about 15 minutes after I sent my post (it never fails), I found the original post (I had saved it as a reminder) and realized my mistake. I knew it was on a Thursday. I should get SOME credit for that! ;) Erik ------------------------------ From: "Drunken Bird" Organization: Columbus State Univ., Columbus, Ga. Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 11:18:58 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: bootlegs & related odd TMBG CD's Message-ID: <423EAD5848@colstate.edu> > >3) The Then Promo CD (Basically, this is a CD a lot of stores got > >with I think > >it was 17 tracks on it from Then to play as a sort of tease in the stores, > >there's nothing special on this, but it is a "bootleg" CD, sorta...) > > Mine has 15 tracks... I don't see how it's a bootleg though. I didn't realize that there was a PROMO Then CD. Was this released before Then was officially released, or simply an easy way for those of us that had Pink or Lincoln. - WrymEnigma "WAHO!" Kenny during the South Park Christmas ep. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980202115229.006a1d40@130.127.28.14> Date: Mon, 02 Feb 1998 11:52:29 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: bootlegs & related odd TMBG CD's This was released a little while before Then.... Unfortunately, it doesn't have ALL the previously-unreleased stuff on there, so those of us that had Pink & Lincoln still had to pick up the full double CD set. (I say 'had to' because we're obsessive completists, right?) :) I'm so obsessive that I bought the promo for $15 after Then was released...I still haven't opened it. TTYL, -Adam At 11:18 AM 2/2/98 EST, Drunken Bird wrote: > >I didn't realize that there was a PROMO Then CD. Was this released >before Then was officially released, or simply an easy way for those >of us that had Pink or Lincoln. /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 11:25:46 -0600 (CST) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: TMBG: stumpbox? Message-ID: > For those of you that have Stumpbox, you've heard TMBG's cover of Elvis > Costello's "Everyday I Write The Book"...the original is going to be on Eh?? This song is on Stumpbox? It's not on my copy. Did I get screwed, or is this perhaps on Stumpbox part 2? Just curious, --Tara -- Tara Weber 00085244@bigred.unl.edu, Ondine@tmbg.org http://members.tripod.com/~TaraW "We want everybody to have a good time, but we're not on a rock hero trip." --John Flansburgh "It's more of a rock gyro trip." --John Linnell ****MSTie #74191, TMBGer #38978**** ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9802021721.AA17389@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Fun D-A-S Tip O' The Day Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 12:21:06 -0500 (EST) > > Is DAS really free when you call from work? How do they know? Stupid > > Question, I know.... > > You didn't know that the phone lines have the concept of work and > home? That's why you have to put your work phone number and your > home phone number on things when you order stuff. No wait, that's > not it. > > Really it depends on how you define the word free. If you > define free with respect to you, sure it is free! > > If free means that you personally don't have to pay money, then > it is surely free. If free means no one has to pay money, then it > isn't free. When you call long distance from work, you don't have > to pay for it. Work not so much. Actually, not for us who have to put in a special code so that we're charged personnally for long distance calls from work! Unless, of course, I could somehow play it off as a call for the project I'm working on. Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980202124429.0069d144@130.127.28.14> Date: Mon, 02 Feb 1998 12:44:29 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: stumpbox? OK, now I feel embarassed. :) You're 100% right - I was getting "Everyday I Write The Book" confused with "I Could Write A Book" (which is on Stumpbox). Now I wish I had brought my Stumpbox tape back with me to college. Oh well. Sorry for the mistake, -Adam >Eh?? This song is on Stumpbox? It's not on my copy. Did I get screwed, >or is this perhaps on Stumpbox part 2? /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <021301bd3006$71cded60$9a672399@default> From: "AugieWan" Subject: TMBG: Fw: Virus information -- important! Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 13:14:37 -0500 Hello all, I'm not sure if this is real, but just in case...... >> -----Original Message----- >> Date: Monday, February 02, 1998 10:16 AM >> Subject: Virus information -- important! >> >> >> I received this from a friend that works in the computer department at >> Michigan State University. Haveing experienced the hell of a computer >> virus, I thought I should pass this along. >> >> Julie >> >> >> FYI, >> McAfee Enterprises has just informed us of a very destructive virus I >> thought you should be aware of: >> >> There is a virus out now being sent to people via email. It is called >> the A.I.D.S. VIRUS. It will destroy your memory, sound card and >> speakers, hard drive and it will infect your mouse or pointing device, >> as well as your keyboard, making what you type not able to register on >> the screen. It self terminates only after it eat 5 MB of hard drive >> space and will delete all programs. >> >> It will come via email called "OPEN: VERY COOL:)". Delete it >> immediately!! It will basically render your computer useless. PASS >> THIS ON QUICKLY AND TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE. >> >> If you receive this email, I would suggest that you NOT select it to >> delete it. Run your virus program and let it detect it and clean the >> infected file off your system. >> >> ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34D60D1F.A8AC5B2C@mail.utexas.edu> Date: Mon, 02 Feb 1998 12:14:55 -0600 From: Mitchell Harding Organization: University of Texas at Austin Subject: Re: TMBG: Fw: Virus information -- important! AugieWan wrote: > Hello all, > > I'm not sure if this is real, but just in case...... > > >> -----Original Message----- > >> Date: Monday, February 02, 1998 10:16 AM > >> Subject: Virus information -- important! > >> > >> > >> I received this from a friend that works in the computer department at > >> Michigan State University. Haveing experienced the hell of a computer > >> virus, I thought I should pass this along. > >> > >> Julie > >> > >> > >> FYI, > >> McAfee Enterprises has just informed us of a very destructive virus I > >> thought you should be aware of: > >> > >> There is a virus out now being sent to people via email. It is called > >> the A.I.D.S. VIRUS. It will destroy your memory, sound card and > >> speakers, hard drive and it will infect your mouse or pointing device, > >> as well as your keyboard, making what you type not able to register on > >> the screen. It self terminates only after it eat 5 MB of hard drive > >> space and will delete all programs. > >> > >> It will come via email called "OPEN: VERY COOL:)". Delete it > >> immediately!! It will basically render your computer useless. PASS > >> THIS ON QUICKLY AND TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE. > >> > >> If you receive this email, I would suggest that you NOT select it to > >> delete it. Run your virus program and let it detect it and clean the > >> infected file off your system. I'm a CS major, so I feel qualified to respond to this. Let me give you (and everyone) the general rule for deciding if a virus is legitimate: If you hear about it from forwarded e-mail or a friend's website, it isn't real. If you go to McAffee's web site, and they tell you about it, then it is. Thank you and good night, Mitch ------------------------------ Message-ID: <022a01bd3008$859a5e80$9a672399@default> From: "AugieWan" Subject: TMBG: CRUD! sorry 'bout that! Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 13:29:35 -0500 OOOOPS! I didnt mean for that to go to the list! I just blind CC'd it to everyone in my addressbook. I love doing that to some of the people I know. They're SO paranoid! It's fun to see them all freak out over these kind of e-mails. :) Hee Hee! Sorry bout that, AugieWan [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 13:19:42 -0600 (CST) From: Jason Loss Subject: TMBG: OPEN:VERY COOL:) Message-ID: Sorry, I couldn't resist :) I heard a rumor about a new album in march.. Is this true? since we were on the subject of hoaxes, i thought I'd ask... Jason a.k.a. Darkheart, the supreme idler, on Efnet. ___________________________________________________________________________ "Chinese people were fighting in the park, we tried to help them fight, noone appreciated that." They Might Be Giants, Purple Toupee "1-2-3-4!!" Ramones, any song, choose your favorite. "YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!!!" Mr. Hat - South Park ___________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <029001bd3012$0470fc60$9a672399@default> From: "AugieWan" Subject: Re: TMBG: OPEN:VERY COOL:) Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 14:37:23 -0500 OUCH! That hurt when I fell off my chair laughing! It's one of those really tall chairs for sitting at a drawing board too! :) OK OK , some TMBG content...... Noone let me know who's reliable to get Boots from. Let me know! um.....TMBG ROCK!!!!......... is that good enough? AugieWan ------------------------------ From: "Mr. Me" Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 13:34:49 CST Subject: Re: TMBG: Fw: Virus information -- important! Message-ID: <30140B54FDF@athena.valpo.edu> about once or twice a year this same theme comes up again, with the virus that will kill your computer. sometimes it just shuts down your hard drive, other times, like this, it destroys just about everything remotely related to your computer, including that retarded cow-spot box it came in. these warnings are false, think about it logically. 1, you wouldn't need a specific subject line to initiate the program even if it did exist, 2, you need an active program to run a virus--something like a game or an mp3 player that you install into your computer, and 3, if the virus did exist, do you really think that its creators would bother with regular computers? come on, if i had the ability to crash people's hard drives, i'd be sending the message to world businesses and governments. the real 'virus' is the mass of email warnings created by people who get scared over something like this. ta. jer [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "Instead of creating new weapons of destruction, we ought to get some use out of the ones we already have." Deep Thoughts [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: or p356jskrenes@exodus.valpo.edu 141 Wehrenberg Airwaves: Sunday nights, 12-2am 95.1, WVUR Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 15:27:40 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: bootlegs & related odd TMBG CD's > > 3) The Then Promo CD (Basically, this is a CD a lot of stores got with I think > > it was 17 tracks on it from Then to play as a sort of tease in the stores, > > there's nothing special on this, but it is a "bootleg" CD, sorta...) > > Not really, it's a promo CD, manufactured by Elektra. It's an authorized > recording (as were the others listed above), and thus are not bootlegs. Although it was manufactured by Elektra (wasn't it Bar/None that distributed it? Oh, well, it doesn't matter), it is not redily available (as most CD promos's aren't). Such CD's are often still classified under the "bootleg" category....although bootleg probably technically refers to illegaly made things, bootleg in music refers more to things that are not meant to be sold....on all the copies of the then promo CD I've seen it says "not for resale" or something to that effect....besides, on the note that simply because something is manufactured by the company, doesn't mean it's not a bootleg, I believe Live In NYC is also manufactured by....uh....not sure company here, but still autorized (at least autorized to be given to radio stations)...anyway, I suppose this was more of a waste of space more than anything else, but my point is trying to be that bootlegs are often times manufactured by some company....uh....bad wording somewhere, don't interupt me as I struggle to complete this thought.....oh, %$#% it.... -jason "mr. hanky, the christmas poo" glastetter "flans can be such a potty mouth sometimes" - annonymous (actually, I just forget who said it) "visit www.poingly.com" -my disgruntled friend, jon ------------------------------ From: WeirdGiant@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 15:35:54 EST Subject: TMBG: Otis Ball Hey there, I did a search for They at Tower Records Online and among the normal CDs there was one titled "I'm Gonna Love You 'Til I Don't". Having never heard of it as one of Their albums I went to it and They Might Be Giants were labelled as special guest. I was wondering if anyone else had known this and what exactly They did for the album? Thanks, Ryan "WeirdGiant" Leach ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980202160628.0069e858@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Mon, 02 Feb 1998 16:06:28 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: bootlegs & related odd TMBG CD's I think you're confused about the meaning of "bootleg". Here's the definition, courtesy of the alt.music.bootlegs FAQ. By reading this, you'll find that neither Live!! NYC nor the Then promo are bootlegs. Actually, both are promo CDs. -Adam [1-01] What *is* a bootleg? Essentially, bootlegs are recordings that have not been released by an artist's main record label. They could be live recordings, studio outtakes, rehersals, or just jams. The source for these might be CD's that are put out by various bootleg labels, tapes made by tapers at concerts, or tapes that one way or another "escaped" from the recording studio. Bootlegging is not, I repeat, not the illegal making and distribution of alcohol. Well, it is, but that's not what we're talking about here. If you think that was the definition, you're in the wrong time and place. Go back about 80 years and go to alt.tv.dukes-of-hazzard. :) [No, that newsgroup does not exist - please don't e-mail me on that.] Well, then. What is bootlegging, really? Well, it's something A LOT of people disagree with. Bootlegging is where people go into concerts, record the concert, then go and press the music onto a CD and, in turn, sell this CD for monetary profit. There is another type of bootlegging, which is pretty different. There are people/companies that are making copies of legitimate releases and selling them as if they were legitimate. This however, is called pirating, and not really bootlegging. This type of pirating is what record companies are much most concerned with. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19980202134009.00708074@mailbox.ucdavis.edu> Date: Mon, 02 Feb 1998 13:40:14 -0800 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: DAS stuff >> PODAS was compiled around 1988-9 (anyone know for sure?), >More like 1993-4. That recently, eh? OK, I stand corrected. :) (But I still stand by my opinion of "I Need Some Lovin'".) >On a completely different note, somebody mentioned a couple weeks >ago that Flansburgh was supposed to show up on Space Ghost >sometime.... WELL??? ::breathes ferociously:: >i didn't miss it did i? I don't think it was ever on. Yet. Or whatever. >--pnaomi, who's seeing a surgeon about that vein in her forehead. I like this one. :) Let's keep her. >sorry about insulting your neighorhood, by the way, >it just seemed dirty to me... No, no, you're quite right. The entire southern half of the state is like that. Last time I was in LA, I couldn't see the mountains. Next time you come, Tim, visit *NORTHERN* California. Note to out-of-staters: I'm just tweaking my beloved southern neighbors. :) >2. What's the new Linnell song on DAS? Very bad quality, even for DAS, but >sounded something like he was taking someone on a date. Might have been Two People In Love (What Is Everyone Staring At?) or whatever they're calling it this week. It's an MP3 somewhere... I have a copy but don't remember where I got it. --nicole the wonder nerd *** "I am not the only dust my mother raised."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn Public PGP key at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn/key.html ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <30E9B4F2.18D1@mix-net.net> Date: Tue, 02 Jan 1996 17:42:58 -0500 From: Campbell Subject: TMBG: The Guitar Singal + FLANSY!! Hi, Does anyone know were I could get the guitar singal??? +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ I E-mailed John Flansburgh (Or the person who claimed to be him) and asked him to sign my guestbook, HE DID!!! Check it out, this further proves it's him, but we can never know if its him or not http://www.geocities.com/sunsetstrip/lounge/7061 BYE!!!!!!!!! -Chris "Feeny" Campbell ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 16:00:16 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: "flansie"'s guestbook signage Message-ID: waitaminutewaitaminutewaitaminute. if flansie asked you not to distribute his e-mail address, why would he put it in his guestbook entry for all the world to see? (caveat here: maybe the address is a counterfeit fake, i mean, i haven't tested it, but i would still think it would have been easier to just leave the spot blank...) not to put too fine a point on it, but that guestbook entry leaves me pretty suspicious. i mean, it's entirely possible, but it doesn't exactly seem to fit quite right. chris -- could you e-mail me that conversation you had, just out of curiosity? --jim kuemmerle, who'd also be surprised if the real flansie specified a particular favorite song and album... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ From: Hjbttrben@aol.com Message-ID: <5b10631c.34d64ca9@aol.com> Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 17:45:59 EST Subject: TMBG: Bootlegs Hey there fellows. I got a major dilemma and i was hoping one of you can help me. I am obsessed with TMBG(as probably all of you are too), but i dont have any bootlegs:-( I was wondering if anyone can help me out by sending me just one bootleg so I can start trading. It doesnt even have to be good. Just any bootleg will do. I know most of you will probably tell me about the blank tape for a bootleg deal, but I have been ripped off by other people for PHISH and Barenaked Ladies tapes. So I made it a rule that i just dont do those any more. I am not saying that you guys are bad, sleazy, and cheap bastards, but i dont trust anyone anymore. If anyone can help, please e-mail me back!!!!!!!!! Adam "A fan in distress" Handelman ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 15:27:04 -0800 (PST) From: winningh Subject: Non TMBG: Re: gary oldman and Space Message-ID: On Sun, 1 Feb 1998, Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: > >Sarah "saw Gary Oldman today" Winningham > > Well, don't leave me in suspense! Where? > At this two-bit comic-con in the Shrine "Oscars location" Theatre. He and the rest of the "Lost In Space" cast answered questions, he was charming and english and made fun of Matt LeBlanc. Also some teenaged girl proposed to him. No offense taken concerning the filthieness of the sinful city; I'M from San Diego, where everything is clean except for our dirty rat of a mayor :) Sarah "76-luv" Winningham ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: <3623627a.34d651f2@aol.com> Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 18:08:32 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: The Guitar Singal + FLANSY!! In a message dated 98-02-02 17:41:57 EST, you write: << I E-mailed John Flansburgh (Or the person who claimed to be him) and asked him to sign my guestbook, HE DID!!! Check it out, this further proves it's him, but we can never know if its him or not http://www.geocities.com/sunsetstrip/lounge/7061 >> THAT IS NOT JOHN FLANSBURGH...Flansburg on IRC is ALWAYS in #TMBG, everyone knows its not him. "Favorite TMBG Song: Ana Nag"???????? John F wouldnt get the name of that wrong. "Favorite Album: Apollo 18". John F has said in interviews that his two favorite albums are John Henry and the first one. That conversation and guest book entry is SO laughable. Anyone, including me, could make a better John F. Once again, that is not John F, and the other signing isnt John Linnell either, Jordan ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980202184959.0093c2e0@mail.csrlink.net> Date: Mon, 02 Feb 1998 18:49:59 -0500 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: Re: TMBG: The Guitar Singal + FLANSY!! At 05:42 PM 1/2/96 -0500, you wrote: >Hi, Does anyone know were I could get the guitar singal??? No. You can't. Really. And what exactly is a singal? >I E-mailed John Flansburgh (Or the person who claimed to be him) and >asked him to sign my guestbook, HE DID!!! >Check it out, this further proves it's him, but we can never know if its >him or not Yes we can. It's not Flansy. You've been played for a fool and you can't realize it and I personally am TIRED of hearing about it. (I get it on IRC every couple days too.) I, for one, got a copy of this conversation and I'm just gonna throw a little bit of it out there, with our friend Feeny's text being that after the -> So what else dy'wanna know? ->my sister is in disbelief that I'm are talking to "you" ->sorry typo ->i'm talking a little nervous? ->yup Don't be. Just think of me as a friend. ->ok ->My sister is saying "You are not John F." How old is she? ->17 typical I mean, it just blows my mind that anyone above the age of six would believe this. It has crossed my mind that Feeny may very well be something like four years old. In that case, well, this all makes sense. The sheer absurdity of the comment "Don't be. Just think of me as a friend." makes it totally impossible that this if Flans. Of course, when I first heard that some kid had talked to Flans, well, it was almost a sure thing he hadn't right then. Then I heard it was on EFnet. No bust of EFnet, but the folks there are a little more...well, I'll just say rowdy. Something of that nature. But much much more willing to prey on newbies. Oh, and do you suppose his favorite song is REALLY Ana Nag? >http://www.geocities.com/sunsetstrip/lounge/7061 Check this page out, for...WOW. A LINK page! Skippie! (I'm getting personal and I don't care.) I'm not about to say that I have a better one, because I don't. But at least I know better than to put up a page with useless images (the construction gifs), broken images, and whatever the heck is all over the place and then pretend that it honors the Giants. Another little bit of the conversation is as follows. ->It's soooooooo nice that you are taking time to talk to your fans Jeez... I'm not that famous ->YES YOU ARE ->think better of yourself I think fine of myself. But I'm not God If he's not god, Feeny, then why have you built a shrine to him? Look. Everyone wants to be special. Ya know, but you've just gotten fooled, played, tricked, whatever. Finally, there was more I wanted to say but HallOfEyes and Jim K said it first, and probably better than I could. Dylan "Mike Leffel would have never stood for this sort of thing" Flipse Dylan Flipse...one of them. - dflipse@csrlink.net Dylan's page is at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ for now. I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed -They Might Be Giants, the coolest thing this side of Zaphod Beeblebrox. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 17:14:35 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: The Guitar Singal + FLANSY!! Message-ID: On Mon, 2 Feb 1998 HallOfEyes@aol.com wrote: > Once again, that is not John F, and the other signing isnt John Linnell > either, isn't linnell more the 'computer one' anyway? :) --jim kuemmerle, who thought 'Ana Nag' *was* a strange typo to make, but figured it was consistent enough with 'aneurysm' and other messing-arounds to not mention it. j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ hmm. i just noticed i put more in my sig than in the rest of the message. strange. ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Message-ID: <445d713d.34d66194@aol.com> Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 19:15:14 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: bootlegs & related odd TMBG CD's << I think you're confused about the meaning of "bootleg". Here's the definition, courtesy of the alt.music.bootlegs FAQ. >> I don't really care what alt.music.bootlegs says it is....It's just when people use the word bootleg (in reference to CD's) in many cases, they include promo CD's as part of that definition, well at least when considering 6 or so of the bands I follow & have asked people about what "bootlegs" they have. They probably just use the word bootleg rather than say, "hey! What bootleg, promo, rare or other types of CD's do you have from ____________(band name here)?" Technically, no, they are NOT bootlegs, but they are called bootlegs by people....it's REALLY confusing to me (that's why originally said rare/bootleg CD's).... jason "mr. hanky, the chirstmas poo" glastetter "pirate radio is cool. I applyed for a job at a pirate radio station, they gave me a job & told me to come in on Monday, unfortunitly the FCC closed them before that...." -another one of my friends ------------------------------ Message-ID: <30E9D028.2126@mix-net.net> Date: Tue, 02 Jan 1996 19:39:04 -0500 From: Campbell Subject: Re: TMBG: The Guitar Singal + FLANSY!! Dylan Flipse wrote: > > At 05:42 PM 1/2/96 -0500, you wrote: > >Hi, Does anyone know were I could get the guitar singal??? > No. You can't. Really. And what exactly is a singal? > > >I E-mailed John Flansburgh (Or the person who claimed to be him) and > >asked him to sign my guestbook, HE DID!!! > >Check it out, this further proves it's him, but we can never know if its > >him or not > Yes we can. It's not Flansy. You've been played for a fool and you can't > realize it and I personally am TIRED of hearing about it. (I get it on IRC > every couple days too.) I, for one, got a copy of this conversation and I'm > just gonna throw a little bit of it out there, with our friend Feeny's text > being that after the -> > > So what else dy'wanna know? > ->my sister is in disbelief that I'm are talking to "you" > ->sorry typo > ->i'm talking > a little nervous? > ->yup > Don't be. Just think of me as a friend. > ->ok > ->My sister is saying "You are not John F." > How old is she? > ->17 > typical > > I mean, it just blows my mind that anyone above the age of six would > believe this. It has crossed my mind that Feeny may very well be something > like four years old. In that case, well, this all makes sense. The sheer > absurdity of the comment "Don't be. Just think of me as a friend." makes > it totally impossible that this if Flans. Of course, when I first heard > that some kid had talked to Flans, well, it was almost a sure thing he > hadn't right then. Then I heard it was on EFnet. No bust of EFnet, but the > folks there are a little more...well, I'll just say rowdy. Something of > that nature. But much much more willing to prey on newbies. > > Oh, and do you suppose his favorite song is REALLY Ana Nag? > > >http://www.geocities.com/sunsetstrip/lounge/7061 > > Check this page out, for...WOW. A LINK page! Skippie! (I'm getting personal > and I don't care.) I'm not about to say that I have a better one, because I > don't. But at least I know better than to put up a page with useless images > (the construction gifs), broken images, and whatever the heck is > all over the place and then pretend that it honors the Giants. Another > little bit of the conversation is as follows. > > ->It's soooooooo nice that you are taking time to talk to your fans > Jeez... > I'm not that famous > ->YES YOU ARE > ->think better of yourself > I think fine of myself. But I'm not God > > If he's not god, Feeny, then why have you built a shrine to him? Look. > Everyone wants to be special. Ya know, but you've just gotten fooled, > played, tricked, whatever. > > Finally, there was more I wanted to say but HallOfEyes and Jim K said it > first, and probably better than I could. > > Dylan "Mike Leffel would have never stood for this sort of thing" Flipse > > Dylan Flipse...one of them. - dflipse@csrlink.net > Dylan's page is at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ for now. > I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed -They Might > Be Giants, the coolest thing this side of Zaphod Beeblebrox. I'm 14, and I only slightly believe its acually him, but it would be cool if its him though. Sorry if I have borred you with this. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <30E9D16F.58CC@mix-net.net> Date: Tue, 02 Jan 1996 19:44:31 -0500 From: Campbell Subject: TMBG: Linnell???? Well, after Flansy (or the fake) showed up on my guest-book, Who drops by you ask? Linnell (Or fake), He told me to post it So, John L. if this really is you, E-mail me ccampbell@mix-net.net John Linnell - 02/02/98 23:00:27 My URL:http://www.tmbg.com My Email:Sorry, can't tell, but I do read the TMBG mailing list. Favorite TMBG Song?: Dr. Worm Album?: Lincoln Other bands you like?: Wilco Tell me other things: John told me about you, and that you talked online. Comments: I'm kinda new at this and I don't know if it will work. (Flans is the computer one.) If it does, please post it to the TMBG list so I know. Thanks. Who is this???? Please anwser me soon. ------------------------------ From: "Mr. Me" Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 18:59:50 CST Subject: Re: TMBG: bootlegs & related odd TMBG CD's Message-ID: <306AB211EC9@athena.valpo.edu> here's a simple distinction: bootlegs are the underground, unofficial recordings that are not legitimately liscensed. rarities are anything else, promos, original pressings of indie-era records, imports, ect. but this thread has just about died. speaking of dead threads, i always thought that the johns DIDN'T read this list. i was under the impression that they would get scared at the amount of discussion we generated on them. plus, isn't it a bit contradictory for bizarro flans to say 'i'm not that famous' and 'i read the list'? c'mon, anybody who's read the FAQ could do a better flans than that guy. jer [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "Instead of creating new weapons of destruction, we ought to get some use out of the ones we already have." Deep Thoughts [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: or p356jskrenes@exodus.valpo.edu 141 Wehrenberg Airwaves: Sunday nights, 12-2am 95.1, WVUR Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ From: WeirdGiant@aol.com Message-ID: <43a28eb.34d674a7@aol.com> Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 20:36:36 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell???? ccampbell@mix-net.net writes: << Well, after Flansy (or the fake) showed up on my guest-book, Who drops by you ask? Linnell (Or fake), He told me to post it So, John L. if this really is you, E-mail me ccampbell@mix-net.net John Linnell - 02/02/98 23:00:27 My URL:http://www.tmbg.com My Email:Sorry, can't tell, but I do read the TMBG mailing list. Favorite TMBG Song?: Dr. Worm Album?: Lincoln Other bands you like?: Wilco Tell me other things: John told me about you, and that you talked online. Comments: I'm kinda new at this and I don't know if it will work. (Flans is the computer one.) If it does, please post it to the TMBG list so I know. Thanks. >> Even if there is a little doubt about Flans, this is definetly not Linnell. "Flans is the computer one"? First of all, I thought Linnell was more of the computer one, and does he refer to him as Flans? Sounds a bit odd. Well, felt like saying something, so there you are. C'ya later, Ryan "WeirdGiant" Leach ------------------------------ Message-ID: <30E9EA82.4919@mix-net.net> Date: Tue, 02 Jan 1996 21:31:30 -0500 From: Campbell Subject: TMBG: Thank You In Advance! FELLOW THEY FRIENDS, PLEASE BAIL ME OUT AND SEND THIS LETTER TO PEOPLE OR ALL WILL BE LOST, THE WILL BE THE FIRST AND LAST CHAIN LETTER I WILL EVER POST HERE, THANKS FOR YOUR YOUR UNDERSTANDING. I'D TO THE SAME FOR YOU!!!!!!! +++++ YOU WILL FIND TRUE LOVE AND HAPPINESS WITH THIS!!!! Nettie Wrote: I admit... I see chain letters often sent to me. I sometimes delete them and sometimes try them out. This one though has changed my life from the day i recieved it. This letter has been send to hundreds of people and still going strong. For Example Someone by the name of Joseph recieved this chain letter while chatting around online. He looked at it. Thought nothing of it. And deleted it. The next day, his life long crush was killed. The death is still unknown but there was proof from her freinds that she liked Joseph the whole time. Ok Heres how this trend can work for you. While you scroll down this letter... concentrate hard... keep scrolling while you think about a crush you have. Then at the bottom of the letter.... it will have further instructions::: Y YO YOU YOU YOU A YOU AR YOU ARE YOU ARE YOU ARE N YOU ARE NO YOU ARE NOW YOU ARE NOW YOU ARE NOW B YOU ARE NOW BL YOU ARE NOW BLE YOU ARE NOW BLES YOU ARE NOW BLESS YOU ARE NOW BLESSE YOU ARE NOW BLESSED YOU ARE NOW BLESSED YOU ARE NOW BLESSED B YOU ARE NOW BLESSED BY YOU ARE NOW BLESSED BY YOU ARE NOW BLESSED BY L YOU ARE NOW BLESSED BY LO YOU ARE NOW BLESSED BY LOV YOU ARE NOW BLESSED BY LOVE YOU ARE NOW BLESSED BY LOV YOU ARE NOW BLESSED BY LO YOU ARE NOW BLESSED BY L YOU ARE NOW BLESSED BY YOU ARE NOW BLESSED BY YOU ARE NOW BLESSED B YOU ARE NOW BLESSED YOU ARE NOW BLESSED YOU ARE NOW BLESSE YOU ARE NOW BLESS YOU ARE NOW BLES YOU ARE NOW BLE YOU ARE NOW BL YOU ARE NOW B YOU ARE NOW YOU ARE NOW YOU ARE NO YOU ARE N YOU ARE YOU ARE YOU AR YOU A YOU YOU YO Y L LO LOV LOVE LOVE LOVE I LOVE IS LOVE IS LOVE IS N LOVE IS NO LOVE IS NOW LOVE IS NOW LOVE IS NOW A LOVE IS NOW AL LOVE IS NOW ALI LOVE IS NOW ALIV LOVE IS NOW ALIVE STOP Ok, You are now loved by someone you adore. You might not know this yet but in 2 months you will be loved. But first send this letter to 15 other people. Don't worry its not that hard to do. 0=You will lose your love 1-5=you will become freinds with your crush 6-10=you will party with your crush 11-15=you will become very close to your crush 16 and up=You will go out with your crush Thanx and happy loving! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34D68622.75E0@rica.net> Date: Mon, 02 Feb 1998 21:51:14 -0500 From: Joey Groah Subject: Re: TMBG: Thank You In Advance! :Chain letter Re: Chain letter I'm selling a bridge in Brooklyn, cheap. I need to sell now to finance my trip to the moon to gather magic moon cheese. Any takers? Joey, subtle as a wrecking ball ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 21:09:21 -0600 (CST) From: Jason Loss Subject: Re: TMBG: Thank You In Advance! :Chain letter Message-ID: On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Joey Groah wrote: > Re: Chain letter > > I'm selling a bridge in Brooklyn, cheap. I need to sell now to finance > my trip to the moon to gather magic moon cheese. Any takers? > > Joey, subtle as a wrecking ball > I'll give you 50 dollars for the bridge and a half-pound of magic moon cheese. Say hi to Corky, the lunar reptile for me. Jason a.k.a. Darkheart, the supreme idler, on Efnet. ___________________________________________________________________________ "Chinese people were fighting in the park, we tried to help them fight, noone appreciated that." They Might Be Giants, Purple Toupee "1-2-3-4!!" Ramones, any song, choose your favorite. "YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!!!" Mr. Hat - South Park ___________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 02 Feb 1998 21:18:39 -0600 From: Jamal Rogers Subject: Re: TMBG: Thank You In Advance! Message-id: <34D68C8F.5BDE0FB2@ac.grin.edu> Once, a lady did receive a letter in the mail. She ripped open the envelope to see what was inside. The letter said, "Make copies, to send to twenty people This chain has been around the world fifty thousand times." --Jamal "Hoop-A-Ding!" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34D68EA6.637@geocities.com> Date: Mon, 02 Feb 1998 19:27:34 -0800 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: Thank you in advance: Chain Letter! > WASHINGTON, D.C.--The Institute for the Investigation of Irregular > Internet Phenomena announced today that many Internet users are becoming > infected by a new virus that causes them to believe without question every > groundless story, legend, and dire warning that shows up in their inbox or > on their browser. The Gullibility Virus, as it is called, apparently > makes people believe and forward copies of silly hoaxes relating to cookie > recipes, email viruses, taxes on modems, and get-rich-quick schemes > [perhaps conspiracy theories should be included here]. > > "These are not just readers of tabloids or people who buy lottery tickets > based on fortune cookie numbers," a spokesman said. "Most are otherwise > normal people, who would laugh at the same stories if told to them by a > stranger on a street corner." However, once these same people become > infected with the Gullibility Virus, they believe anything they read on > the Internet. > > "My immunity to tall tales and bizarre claims is all gone," reported one > weeping victim. "I believe every warning message and sick child story my > friends forward to me, even though most of the messages are anonymous." > > Another victim, now in remission, added, "When I first heard about Good > Times, I just accepted it without question. After all, there were dozens > of other recipients on the mail header, so I thought the virus must be > true." It was a long time, the victim said, before she could stand up at > a Hoaxes Anonymous meeting and state, "My name is Jane, and I've been > hoaxed." Now, however, she is spreading the word. "Challenge and check > whatever you read," she says. > > Internet users are urged to examine themselves for symptoms of the virus, > which include the following: > > * the willingness to believe improbable stories > without thinking > > * the urge to forward multiple copies of such > stories to others > > * a lack of desire to take three minutes to check > to see if a story is true > > T. C. is an example of someone recently infected. He told one reporter, > "I read on the Net that the major ingredient in almost all shampoos makes > your hair fall out, so I've stopped using shampoo." When told about the > Gullibility Virus, T. C. said he would stop reading email, so that he > would not become infected. > > Anyone with symptoms like these is urged to seek help immediately. Experts > recommend that at the first feelings of gullibility, Internet users rush > to their favorite search engine and look up the item tempting them to > thoughtless credence. Most hoaxes, legends, and tall tales have been widely > discussed and exposed by the Internet community. > > Courses in critical thinking are also widely available, and there is online > help from many sources, including > > * Department of Energy Computer Incident Advisory > Capability at > > > * Symantec Anti Virus Research Center at > > > * McAfee Associates Virus Hoax List at > > > * Dr. Solomons Hoax Page at > > > * The Urban Legends Web Site at > > > * Urban Legends Reference Pages at > > > * Datafellows Hoax Warnings at > > > Those people who are still symptom free can help inoculate themselves > against the Gullibility Virus by reading some good material on > evaluating sources, such as > > * Evaluating Internet Research Sources at > > > * Evaluation of Information Sources at > > > * Bibliography on Evaluating Internet Resources at > > > Lastly, as a public service, Internet users can help stamp out the > Gullibility Virus by sending copies of this message to anyone who > forwards them a hoax. > > ******************************************************************* > This message is so important, we're sending it anonymously! Forward it to > all your friends right away! Don't think about it! This is not a chain > letter! This story is true! Don't check it out! This story is so timely, > there is no date on it! This story is so important, we're using lots of > exclamation points! For every message you forward to some unsuspecting > person, the Home for the Hopelessly Gullible will donate ten cents to > itself. (If you wonder how the Home will know you are forwarding these > messages all over creation, you're obviously thinking too much.) > > ******************************************************************* > > ACT NOW! DON'T DELAY! LIMITED TIME! NOT SOLD IN ANY STORE! Thanks from Leo. -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "Is everything normal now?" "And crawling on the "Well, he hasn't got planet's face... some religious mania, and he's called the Human Race. not running around in a Lost in time, and lost circle spouting Gilbert in space... and Sullivan, so I guess ...and meaning." he's normal." ------------------------------ From: Shaft137@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 22:22:43 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Thank You In Advance! hi. viruses that destroy your computer. letters that predict the fate of your loved one's life. personally, i'd prefer not to get crap like this on the list. my friends clutter my mailbox enough with things like this. on to this flansburgh thing. i would trust this guy about as far as i could throw him. the only way i'd believe i had talked to flansy was if it was face to face. btw, space ghost is currently in re-runs. i swear he will be on in the future. if i had the technology, i'd transfer the 2 second clip with him from the SGC2C New Year's Special to prove that he will be on. adam schaaf, waiting for wednesday when the devil goes down to South Park ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 21:38:17 -0600 (CST) From: Jason Loss Subject: NON TMBG: Thank You In Advance! Message-ID: Well, I'm not sending this letter, and i'm gonna be alone, and lonely for the rest of my life because of it. "Herman Munster, of 1313 Mockingbird lane, didn't send this chain letter, and he ended up with an ugly niece!" Chain letters are baloney, pure and simple. May I be the first to inform you that there are breakthrough medical treatments for stopping chain letters, and they compose of beating the inital sender with an aluminum baseball bat until their head caves in. Also, the farce of sending blatant spam&spammish like material without the beautiful phrase NON TMBG should also result in another severe beating to the one who distributed the letter to the mail digest.. And to those of you who are offended by the many beatings, I just saw GoodFellas and Casino back to back, and blame Hollywood for my apparrent anger and frustrations. Jason a.k.a. Darkheart, the supreme idler, on Efnet. ___________________________________________________________________________ "Chinese people were fighting in the park, we tried to help them fight, noone appreciated that." They Might Be Giants, Purple Toupee "1-2-3-4!!" Ramones, any song, choose your favorite. "YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!!!" Mr. Hat - South Park ___________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <00a801bd3061$e58b1420$54ea5fcc@red5> From: "John F. and John L." Subject: TMBG: hello fans Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 00:09:11 -0500 Greetings list persons of all races. Do not doubt our presence among you! We are not touring. We are not recording. Hence we are bored. As SHALLA once said, "carry on" John F. and John L. [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 23:45:10 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: hello fans Message-ID: On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, John F. and John L. wrote: > As SHALLA once said, "carry on" (enter a cockney accent here, for no good reason:) wot's SHALLA? woz that the Doctor 'Oo episode wot douglas adams wrote? --jim kuemmerle, who would like to ask any Johns listening in, whoever, or wherever they may be, to pause for a moment and give thanks in his... or her own way... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ i'm of a scientific training. it is my job to doubt stuff. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 23:48:58 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: NOT-TMBG: AFTER ALL Message-ID: i knew it! that last post bounced from 'thejohns@ufp.org'... not a surprise. chalk a point up for good old empirical data! jim kuemmerle, who would still like to know what SHALLA is... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ can we move on yet? ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-398 ******************************