Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-402 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 402 Saturday, 7 February 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: Who wrote the Johs letter? part1 TMBG: Who wrote the Johs letter? part2 TMBG: Who wrote the Johs letter? part3 TMBG: Who wrote the Johs letter? part4 TMBG: Who wrote the Johs letter? part5 TMBG: Who wrote the Johs letter? part6 TMBG: Who wrote the Johs letter? part7 TMBG: Who wrote the Johs letter? part8 TMBG: Who wrote the Johs letter? part9 TMBG: Who wrote the Johs letter? part10 Re: TMBG: Who wrote the Johs letter? part10 TMBG: ???? Good Night All ????? TMBG: Non They:Candy Butchers in LA Re: TMBG: Who wrote the Johs letter? part1 TMBG: spelling gods name TMBG: Mono Puff? Re: TMBG: Who sent theJohns' letter? NOT ME! Re: TMBG: Who sent theJohns' letter? NOT ME! Re: TMBG: Who sent theJohns' letter? NOT ME! Re: TMBG: Who wrote the Johs letter? parts1-10 Re: TMBG: Who wrote the Johs letter? TMBG: Re: Who wrote, &c. Re: TMBG: Re: Who wrote, &c. NON-TMBG: Who wrote all those NON-TMBG letters... Re: TMBG: Who wrote the Johs letter? part7 SEMI-TMBG: Concerning NON-TMBG posts & Monopuff TMBG: joe jackson Re: NON-TMBG: Who wrote the Johs letter? part10 Re: NON-TMBG: Who wrote all those NON-TMBG letters... NON TMBG: South Park & Using the Dial-A-Song number Re: TMBG: Who wrote the Johs letter? Re: NON-TMBG: Re: Who wrote, &c. TMBG: John Henry Revelations TMBG: Mailbox Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <027c01bd32cd$98d62f20$49ea5fcc@red5> From: "Adam Tyner" Subject: TMBG: Who wrote the Johs letter? part1 Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 02:04:27 -0500 Good day to the listies of the world. I am disappointed that noone figured out who sent the "Johns" letter ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Message-ID: <027d01bd32cd$9c12bc80$49ea5fcc@red5> Subject: TMBG: Who wrote the Johs letter? part2 Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 02:04:51 -0500 I know it's a bit childish but this list has become, well...... a tad dull ------------------------------ Message-ID: <027e01bd32cd$9ed3b140$49ea5fcc@red5> From: "J Kuemmerle" Subject: TMBG: Who wrote the Johs letter? part3 Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 02:05:06 -0500 Some of you figured out where the letter bounced from.... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <027f01bd32cd$ff352780$49ea5fcc@red5> From: "JOda: Master of Yedi" Subject: TMBG: Who wrote the Johs letter? part4 Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 02:05:22 -0500 why not take it one step further and figure it out? ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <028001bd32ce$03444720$49ea5fcc@red5> Subject: TMBG: Who wrote the Johs letter? part5 Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 02:06:17 -0500 Someone on this list should know how to track an e-mail to it's source. I didn't write the "God" letters, but they showed a little imagination. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <028101bd32ce$07c8e4e0$49ea5fcc@red5> From: "Kirsten Brodbeck" Subject: TMBG: Who wrote the Johs letter? part6 Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 02:06:42 -0500 why's everyone so uptight about a phony letter? or a chain letter as far as that's concerned. Have we become grumps because of a lack of new TMBG news? ------------------------------ Message-ID: <028201bd32ce$0c339200$49ea5fcc@red5> From: "The Lil' Depressed Boy" Subject: TMBG: Who wrote the Johs letter? part7 Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 02:07:04 -0500 Lighten up all. We will survive. Until the next tour or album or ANYTHING Giant, let's all just try to love oneanother, OK? ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Message-ID: <028301bd32ce$118ac200$49ea5fcc@red5> Subject: TMBG: Who wrote the Johs letter? part8 Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 02:07:19 -0500 This is what?... the 8th letter? I'll give you 10 to figure it out. If you catch me, you can beat me senseless, or if everyone has lightened up by then, you can ------------------------------ Message-ID: <028401bd32ce$195514e0$49ea5fcc@red5> From: "AugieWan" Subject: TMBG: Who wrote the Johs letter? part9 Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 02:07:35 -0500 thank me for taking the attention away from the tension. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <028901bd32ce$361c0660$49ea5fcc@red5> From: "Nicole the Wonder Nerd" Subject: TMBG: Who wrote the Johs letter? part10 Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 02:08:13 -0500 This is the last one. Have you caught me? Later...... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34DAC42B.67688166@mindless.com> Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 03:04:59 -0500 From: Tony Lastowka Subject: Re: TMBG: Who wrote the Johs letter? part10 Well I have only been on this list for 3 days but this is ridiculous. Without really feeling like spending the time to do some serious tracking, I think I've made some progress. 1)Someone who feels like spending more time on this than I do look at www.qtm.net, Some explorations with reverse dns and all these messages pointed me in that general direction, and now they arn't coming up anymore. Either I am very stupid, or the person doing this is a lot smarter than I give him credit for. 2) There is something extremely suspicious going on in a lot of the tracing info on the mail coming from The Lil' Depressed Boy if you do a reverse dns on the numbers, the one that he is sending from isnt the dns for cybnetonline.com. I find that strange Ok, that's all i'm going to put into this, if someone else wants to work on it lemme know what you figure out. Nicole the Wonder Nerd wrote: > This is the last one. > Have you caught me? > Later...... ------------------------------ From: owner-tmbg-digest@ufp.org Message-ID: <02ef01bd32d6$67d75f80$49ea5fcc@red5> Subject: TMBG: ???? Good Night All ????? Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 03:08:06 -0500 By the way, if you figure it out, don't spoil it for everyone too quickly. Love you all...... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34DAF18F.9195FE7B@pacificnet.net> Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 03:18:43 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Non They:Candy Butchers in LA I just want to mention to those of you here in Southern California that our friends, Candy Butchers will be playing at Spaceland in Silver Lake Saturday night as part of the Poptopia festival. Also appearing that night will be The Sugarplastic, a band I highly reccomend. I was tipped of to this show last month by Larry's Candy Butchers page ( http://members.aol.com/Cbutchers ) and I'm now seeing it advertised locally. See you there. -B O N G O Please could you stop the noise, i'm trying to get some rest from all the other unborn chicken voices in my head -Radiohead ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980206081312.006a6ebc@130.127.28.14> Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 08:13:12 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Who wrote the Johs letter? part1 As I'm sure you all know, I wasn't the one that posted this. ;) TTYL, -Adam At 02:04 AM 2/6/98 -0500, you wrote: >Good day to the listies of the world. >I am disappointed that noone figured out >who sent the "Johns" letter /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 07:43:50 -0700 Subject: TMBG: spelling gods name Message-ID: <19980206.074358.4350.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) hEY hEY! >No, "Flansurgh" would work fine. "Flansburgh" wouldn't, though. i give up. you all obviously have no clue what-so-ever what the hell is going on around you... teehee, you think J&J are reading the list... wow, i just don;t know what to think... is it ignorance? naivite? oblivion? the crack you all smoke? take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ***so i can't type or count!*** _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980206110822.00696ae8@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 11:08:22 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Mono Puff? Did any listies go to the Mono Puff show last night? I'd love to hear some comments, reviews, setlists, etc... TTYL, -Adam ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 13:56:25 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Who sent theJohns' letter? NOT ME! Message-ID: <19980206.135701.5118.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> This is weird! s/he sent one of these messages from MY address!!! How is that done?? S/He also sent one from Augiewan's address, owner-tmbg-digest.ufp.org, LDB and numerous others! How did s/he do that? Tim, is weirded out! Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: Last CD purchase: Big Head Todd - Beautiful World _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34DB9950.11E9@geocities.com> Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 15:14:24 -0800 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: Who sent theJohns' letter? NOT ME! mr.train@juno.com wrote: > > This is weird! s/he sent one of these messages from MY address!!! > How is that done?? > S/He also sent one from Augiewan's address, owner-tmbg-digest.ufp.org, > LDB and numerous others! How did s/he do that? I doubt that this person actually SENT messages from those addresses. The path would probably reveal the actual source of the message, but I don't know how to check that. -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199802061953.OAA22251@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 13:53:27 -0600 From: WLYAWDYL Subject: Re: TMBG: Who sent theJohns' letter? NOT ME! >> This is weird! s/he sent one of these messages from MY address!!! >> How is that done?? >> S/He also sent one from Augiewan's address, owner-tmbg-digest.ufp.org, >> LDB and numerous others! How did s/he do that? > >I doubt that this person actually SENT messages from those addresses. >The path would probably reveal the actual source of the message, but I >don't know how to check that. it's possible to trace the messages back to their sender... not even too terribly hard.. just takes a bit of looking... rabidchild(.paulswan) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980206150150.00997930@mail.csrlink.net> Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 15:01:50 -0500 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: Re: TMBG: Who wrote the Johs letter? parts1-10 I think it's pretty obvious that the senders of these letters (Which had me puzzled for a while. I was just "whaa?" Then I got it.) is none other, could BE none other, than the one and only reincarnation of Mike Leffel, possibly reincarnated into the Heros Reborn universe. Dylan "Leffel on the Brain" Flipse Dylan Flipse...one of them. - dflipse@csrlink.net Dylan's page is at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ for now. I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed -They Might Be Giants, the coolest thing this side of Zaphod Beeblebrox. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 12:23:00 -0800 (PST) From: Shion Subject: Re: TMBG: Who wrote the Johs letter? Message-ID: I'm not sure, but the person who wrote the Fake Johns letter sent all of them from a server in the state with initials MI (Missouri?) and routed them through another few servers (but they all acted as one, so it doesn't really matter). But anyway, they were sent from either a computer sitting in a lab somewhere with other computers, or through a dial-up connection of some sort. If the latter is true, then emailing the administrator at qtm.net with the original message-id would tell exactly who sent it. If it's the former, and no login is required prior to sending the email, then anyone with access to the lab could have sent it. Changing return addresses is easy to do in something like Eudora or Navigator, but hiding the location where the email actually originated is more difficult. There are also boatloads of 'anonymous' remailing services available on the world wide web. If one person does it, it's entertaining and amusing. If everyone does it, it's silly and surreal. Now for someone who's been lurking on this list for a year or so, I've said far too much already. John shion@ucsd.edu ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 12:34:45 -0800 (PST) From: Shion Subject: TMBG: Re: Who wrote, &c. Message-ID: Right, and in an addendum to my previous email, the email route was qtm.net | dancingink.com | something | tmbg.org -------------- I've got a match... John jkwhite@sdcc13.ucsd.edu ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34DBAE3F.62E5@geocities.com> Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 16:43:43 -0800 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Who wrote, &c. Shion wrote: > > Right, and in an addendum to my previous email, the email route was > qtm.net | dancingink.com | something | tmbg.org > -------------- > > I've got a match... Your embrace and my collapse? -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ From: Monotreme3@aol.com Message-ID: <6b228979.34db8ba8@aol.com> Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 17:16:05 EST Subject: NON-TMBG: Who wrote all those NON-TMBG letters... as if they were had ANYTHING to DO with TMBG!? And as if any of us who are really just looking for TMBG info (NOT a class on how to track frickin' e- mail) really cared!? Now... notice the "non" in my subject line, which allows this message to be deleted by anyone who doesn't want to read NON TMBG stuff. Unfortunately... all those messages about who the heck did or didn't write what didn't have that. I certainly didn't want to read those. Eventually I just started deleting them if they had the word "letters" in it. Okay. So... just this... after all that we've gone through about all this TMBG/NON-TMBG... let's at least try to keep up with the system that we have. Okay. That's it. And now for some semi-tmbg content for those of you who have stuck through this whole thing and who could answer the question: How was the Mono Puff show last night? -Chad ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980206222810.0067f76c@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 16:28:10 -0600 From: "The Lil' Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: Who wrote the Johs letter? part7 Ach! I've been posting drunk again! Gad Nabbit! LDB At 02:07 AM 2/6/98 -0500, Neuro Jack wrote: >Lighten up all. We will survive. >Until the next tour or album or >ANYTHING Giant, let's all just try to >love oneanother, OK? > > > > -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9802062245.AA02964@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: SEMI-TMBG: Concerning NON-TMBG posts & Monopuff Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 17:45:07 -0500 (EST) > mail) really cared!? Now... notice the "non" in my subject line, which allows > this message to be deleted by anyone who doesn't want to read NON TMBG stuff. > Unfortunately... all those messages about who the heck did or didn't write > what didn't have that. I certainly didn't want to read those. Eventually I > just started deleting them if they had the word "letters" in it. Okay. So... > just this... after all that we've gone through about all this TMBG/NON-TMBG... > let's at least try to keep up with the system that we have. Okay. That's it. > > And now for some semi-tmbg content for those of you who have stuck through > this whole thing and who could answer the question: How was the Mono Puff show > last night? > > -Chad I agree 100% here with Chad. If we can't do something as simple as put NON-TMBG in our non-tmbg related post then we're in trouble. It's basically become a list standard, please use it! I used SEMI because it deals with the list, but not TMBG per se. I have a Monopuff question. Does anyone know if the track listing for It's Fun to Steal will be any different than the tape sampler? The sampler is great, I hope they don't fool with it too much unless, of course, they have an even better direction in which to take the album. I'm awaiting April 21 with bated breath! Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 08:21:58 -0700 Subject: TMBG: joe jackson Message-ID: <19980206.155223.5022.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) hEY HEy! okie... joe jackson (i believe graham maby or some other tmbg member played for him) is coming to good ol' denver and i, only having heard "it's different for girls" was wondering if anyone out there that's heard more of their stuff would recomend my going... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ***nerf herder's making a new album!!*** _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 18:41:01 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Who wrote the Johs letter? part10 Someone has a little too much free time... -ec ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: <16401b26.34dba16f@aol.com> Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 18:49:01 EST Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Who wrote all those NON-TMBG letters... In a message dated 98-02-06 17:20:04 EST, you write: << as if they were had ANYTHING to DO with TMBG!? And as if any of us who are really just looking for TMBG info (NOT a class on how to track frickin' e- mail) really cared!? Now... notice the "non" in my subject line, which allows this message to be deleted by anyone who doesn't want to read NON TMBG stuff. Unfortunately... all those messages about who the heck did or didn't write what didn't have that. I certainly didn't want to read those. Eventually I just started deleting them if they had the word "letters" in it. Okay. So... just this... after all that we've gone through about all this TMBG/NON- TMBG... let's at least try to keep up with the system that we have. Okay. That's it.>> I agree that whoever did this was an inconsiderate idiot not to follow that simple rule. But more than that, I think impersonating someone else's e-mail address, however it was done, is just plain wrong. I wasn't impersonated this time, since I'm not a very frequent poster, but I have been, and it's downright scary to think that anyone can say whatever they want to using my name, even if it is in "good fun." I hate to sound like a stick-in-the-mud, but this just came too close for comfort. On a semi related note, I was recently informed by a good and trustworthy friend that the TMBG official website might soon have "a chatroom with the Johns." Kinda ironic considering the debate we've been having about how we could ever know it's reallly Them we're chatting with, but I'm sure we can trust the official site, if it happens! Kay Kay ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Message-ID: <5f225394.34dba5e5@aol.com> Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 19:08:02 EST Subject: NON TMBG: South Park & Using the Dial-A-Song number First of all, someone mentioned South Park, so I've got to say one short thing: My friend told me that I look like Satan's son, Dameon. Well, except for the fact that I can't make little flames appear in my eyes or turn people into platypii or destory a cafeteria or anything like that.... And here's a comment on the phone number thing...everytime I'm on the internet & someone asks for my phone number when they are trying to be tough (you know, when you get those annoying death threats), I always give out the dial-a-song number & say "I can prove it's me, If you call it, it will be busy right now." just thought I'd share jason "mr. hanky, the christmas poo" glastetter ------------------------------ From: Shaft137@aol.com Message-ID: <6e970a96.34dba635@aol.com> Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 19:09:23 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Who wrote the Johs letter? hi. there is only one person capable of such trickery and deception..... SATAN!!!!! he and the Almighty Lord are waging a war for spirtual supremecy on the list. repent! repent! the end is near!!!! adam schaaf, on his knees, praying for salvation ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 16:28:37 -0800 (PST) From: Shion Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Re: Who wrote, &c. Message-ID: Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > Shion wrote: > > > > Right, and in an addendum to my previous email, the email route was > > qtm.net | dancingink.com | something | tmbg.org > > -------------- > > > > I've got a match... > > Your embrace and my collapse? > -- ...Or the Fake Johns and The Guy Whose Regular Emails Come From xxxxxxxx@dancingink.com And Will Remain Nameless Until He Be Named, Else Otherwise. Now I will go away and never add to this thread again, 'lest I do. John rnixon@dead.and.eaten ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 23:51:24 -0600 (GMT-0600) From: Amy Greenlese Subject: TMBG: John Henry Revelations Message-ID: Look, I have real live TMBG content! I was listening to John Henry the other night in the car when all of a sudden I understood a line in AKA Driver that I'd never really grasped before.....the part about "Big hand's on 120, little hand's on E" Big hand = speedometer, they're going 120 mph Little had = gas gauge, currently empty. I just have one thing to say about myself - Duh! I can't believe I never realized this before :) Although I think a lot of TMBG lyrics are like that - you just take them for granted and sing along until one day something that should have been obvious jumps out at you. Like one of those pictures that has things hidden in it - once you find the hidden things, you can never un-see them. (Ok so I kind of stole that part from Stephen King, but it applies.) Also, I have a new theory about No One Knows My Plan - stolen again, this time from my friend Woody. He thinks that the song is about Wile E. Coyote, always trying out new plans to catch that darn Road Runner. It makes sense, I think. **************** Amy Greenlese :) Music Educator Extraordinare http://www2.onu.edu/~stu1336 How come when the cards are in your hand everyone else is playing chess? ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980207004600.0069e508@130.127.28.14> Date: Sat, 07 Feb 1998 00:46:00 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Mailbox I'm not sure how many of you have heard of a band in Boca Raton called Mailbox, but...geez, it's very TMBG-ish. In fact, they're doing a cover of "Nightgown Of The Sullen Moon" for the tribute album, and there's a RealAudio version of it on their webpage (under Scrapboox->Extra Tracks). The URL is http://www.superpickle.com/mailbox/ I have both of their CDs, and they're incredible. In fact, Irving sent me a note with the new CD saying that I'm the first person to have bought a copy. :) TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-402 ******************************