Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-404 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 404 Monday, 9 February 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: Monopuff show Re: TMBG: detarded ensor TMBG: my evening with 2/3 of cub SEMI-TMBG:Flan's handedness.. TMBG: TMBG, or not TMBG, you decide; Re: List Quibbling Re: NON TMBG: Parental Advisory...this message has a lot of TMBG: i'll sink manhattan or the list... whatever comes first Re: TMBG: detarded ensor Re: TMBG: detarded ensor TMBG: You all need a drink Re: NON TMBG: Parental Advisory...this message has a lot of TMBG: Precious and Few Re: TMBG: Precious and Few Re: TMBG: You all need a drink TMBG: tour dates Non-TMBG: missing mike leffel... Re: Non-TMBG: missing mike leffel... Re: TMBG: Precious and Few Re: TMBG: Precious and Few TMBG: Censorship: ohhh, DON'T get me started.... Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: NitpickR@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 02:05:20 EST Subject: TMBG: Monopuff show Hello 41- Monopuff show stuff, since someone asked: New song called: Extra Crispy. The CD version features Double Dong somewhere on it sez Flans. Interesting. Double Dong: Hmmm... I didn't like them too much, but they were interesting. Three members, one a female. They looked rather European. They did a capella rap, and yelled a lot. Their songs were either about love or sex. I will not disclose the content matter, because as I recall, there are younger readers on this list. Todd Barry: He was funny too. Supposedly, last time he wasn't though. Monopuff's levels were lower in synth and 5* elements than previous time. After the show, Joe told me a bit about the Loser's Lounge Valentine's Day thing. It sounded very cool, I wish I could go. There may be some surprises... Adam ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 00:15:17 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: detarded ensor Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 7-Feb-98 Re: TMBG: detarded ensor by Amadais@aol.com > does anyone have a .WAV file of the slowed-down version of Meet James Ensor > that they could send me. it sounds very interesting! there's an mp3 of it at http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~spees he taped the show on a DAT and the quality is really good... ------------------------------ From: GaritRN@aol.com Message-ID: <653e0f29.34dd4b99@aol.com> Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 01:07:19 EST Subject: TMBG: my evening with 2/3 of cub hi everybody, tonight i went to see candy butchers and 2/3 of cub (in a new band called Buck) perform at Spaceland here in Silver Lake (L.A. area). Unfortunately, our friend The Boy (El Nino for those not in the know) decided to rain on my parade. Literally. The power transformer was knocked out on the whole 1700 block of Silver Lake Avenue and the lights were out at Spaceland. Thus the show was canceled, to my severe disappointment. The one saving grace of this evening is the fact that I got to spend time with the Lisas, formerly of cub. They were very nice to me, especially Lisa the drummer. (she thought i was in another band for gosh sakes). Anyway, Lisa and Lisa's full time effort is a band called Buck. It's still a 3 piece band, with a young man named Randall playing lead guitar. I asked if Buck was cub backwards and they admitted it was at least a coincidence, but wouldn't give a definate answer. =( Tonight was supposed to be Buck's first ever gig and Lisa the bass player was majorly disappointed. Drummer Lisa was proud to announce that they even had T-shirts and pillow cases! (Fun fact: Bass Lisa is married to a member of The Muffs) Then along comes the soundman for Candy Butchers. He said they flew out the whole band, even the Velcro horns, just for this one show! Mike, Todd and the others were nowhere to be seen though. He sits down and the Lisas mention that they haven't been keeping up with Flans. We update them to events such as Graham's departure and Elektra's dumping them, and Mono Puff's signing with Restless. (Fun fact #2: Lisa the drummer has a sample somewhere on It's Fun to Steal, but she's not sure exactly where. Hopefully the upcoming liner notes will answer that question.) I pray that The Boy will not hurt tomorrow's event, my fourth evening with Ben Folds Five at the Palace. If it does, there's some crying to be done. Thanks for reading, eh? Larry http://members.aol.com/CButchers - Candy Butchers page ------------------------------ Subject: SEMI-TMBG:Flan's handedness.. Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 08:51:30 +0000 (GMT) Message-Id: From: NJ Powell Hello people.. I actually have a little request to make to y'all. I'm in the middle of writing my dissertation on lefthandedness, handedness and acromioclavicular joint range.. (I love it! Although I am quite aware the rest of the world would not exactly share my unbridled enthusiasm for it) And I'm looking for a nice juicy quote to liven up the title page. I was wondering if anyone knew of something good by everyone's favourite lefthander, Flans himself, that'd be good? Heck, send me anything you like on it, I'd be very interested! thanks in advance. And on another thing; I think I can now say I've been here in the background for a long time, and although the atmosphere on this list is certainly not as good as it has been, I think things will come round. Swings and roundabouts, it'll pick up once more. Nicola ------------------------------ From: ArwenAnaNg@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 09:49:06 EST Subject: TMBG: TMBG, or not TMBG, you decide; Re: List Quibbling Debate sparks thinking... thinking sparks creativiy. Just imagine what all of this anger could accomplish if it were harnessed and used in a positive way... like writing to your congressman about the intolerable methods of the IRS or some such cause that really irks you. Knowledge is the best weapon aagainst oppression, and there's a lot more oppression on our planet than there is on this list. Despite my own opinions of this recent quibbling, I will continue to subscribe to the list because of some of the wonderful people I have met and some of the great sites I have been introduced to. Thank you, Leo! Arwen ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199802081902.OAA01154@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Parental Advisory...this message has a lot of Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 14:02:12 -0500 (EST) Mr. Me writes: > > > > [BLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLHALASDSKA&#!$*@#!!] > > > > i really don't care who that was that posted this, but it's just > as unacceptable as what got him frustrated in the first place. At least the forged email/assumed identity bit was ever so slightly imaginative. In comparison, at any rate... > before you click on the 'send mail' button, think about what > you're posting. Think?!? Who needs to think? This is the internet! m@t ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 12:12:03 -0700 Subject: TMBG: i'll sink manhattan or the list... whatever comes first Message-ID: <19980208.121937.12190.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) hEY HEY! >Does anyone happen to know the accordian chords to Turn Around or >the crazy inverted way Linnell plays them? i have a request... if anyone out there knows how to play the accordian chords (or could just kindly tell me what they think are) for the live version of I'll Sink Manhattan (obviously the album version isn't gonna work....) i would be extremely grateful... i know it's in E minor if that helps at all... > i mean, ask yourself 'does the list really want to >hear this?' just cuz it had some profanity in it you all start tweaking about it... you all wanted something to laugh at and i personally would like to thank the original poster of that message... it was the first time i've laughed at anything on this list in a while :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ***February 13th : Insane Clown Posse | February 17th : Reel Big Fish | February 19th : Let's Go Bowling | February 21st : Sno-Core Tour | February 22nd : MTX!*** _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 15:06:07 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: detarded ensor Message-ID: <19980208.150905.4598.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> On Sat, 7 Feb 1998 17:43:18 -0700 tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) writes: >hEY HEy! >i've been dubbing bootlegs all weekend and i'm going a lil' mad but i >have a question for those that have heard both versions of meet james >ensor... >does anyone like the slow version? my personal opinion: it blows but >the fast version is totally rockin. :) >anyways, i'm interested in hearing other people's thoughts... <> I don't really like the slow version... but I love in the reg. version when they sing the bridge like: "Meet James Ensor ... newr newr newr newr newr nee-newr-nee-newr-newr ... meet James Ensor ... " etc. etc. during the bridge... that is the coolest guitar solo since "AWESOME GUITAR SOLO!!!! AWESOME GUITAR SOLO!!!" at the 2-21-96 IP show... Tim, has less than 24 hrs. to think of a research project topic Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: James Ensor (live) Last CD purchase: Big Head Todd and the Monsters - Beautiful World _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980208152613.006a1dac@130.127.28.14> Date: Sun, 08 Feb 1998 15:26:13 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: detarded ensor At 03:06 PM 2/8/98 -0500, mr.train@juno.com wrote: >that is the coolest guitar solo since >"AWESOME GUITAR SOLO!!!! AWESOME GUITAR SOLO!!!" at the 2-21-96 IP >show... I think Flansie does that whenever they play Puppet Head. I have him doing that on a couple of bootlegs. What's funny is that I thought he was saying "Possum Guitar Solo" until I heard the 2-21-97 show. TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: Vandal191@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 15:45:35 EST Subject: TMBG: You all need a drink I mean that. Everyone who is up in arms aboot everyone else. Go have a brew. Or something harder. Perhaps Jack Daniel's or Smirnoff's. If this list had been drunker in the first place, we'd still have Mike Leffel to worship. We're on the internet here. Everyone has the freedom to say whatever they want, and I think that's glorious. Even here on the TMBG list, I could talk aboot my new "Wham" bumper sticker if I wanted. It's blue, with those guys air-guitaring on it. Or I could talk aboot beastiality, because there is no communal standard of "decency." But what's important aboot this is information. That's what the internet itself was designed for, the spread of information. I love to learn things. I read books. I go to boring web sites just so I'll know the average life span of an al paca. And I read "non-tmbg" posts because I like to know, damn it. If you don't want to read them, don't, but it's not harmful to have information presented to you. And everyone who's bitching aboot everyone else. Just drink. It works. ~Moose (who happens to be drinking this moment) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980208170330.00687830@pop.indy.net> Date: Sun, 08 Feb 1998 17:03:30 -0500 From: Rachel Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Parental Advisory...this message has a lot of >Think?!? Who needs to think? This is the internet! > HAHAHAHA! right on! > >m@t > > ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 16:21:10 -0600 (CST) From: **Tarnished Silence** Subject: TMBG: Precious and Few Message-Id: Okay, folks....here's a little thing that I found, and perhaps it has been researched, but what the hay: I was at a local speech contest when one of the groups did a speech on bad lyrics to songs. Well, they mentioned this song by Climax in which the chorus was: "Precious and few are the moments we two can share" or something very similar. Obviously, this lines up quite nicely with Your Own Worse Enemy's lyrics: "Precious and few are the moments that you and your own worse enemy share" Coinkydink or not? Anyone know? Thoughts? Tarnished Silence "Reality is just a figment of our inhalations." - TS /--------------------------------------\ | knowing the dark | | mind tramples the sun | | holding the power | | it comes without sound | | | | T A R N I S H E D S I L E N C E | | tsilence@usa.net | \--------------------------------------/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980208171652.006a15ac@130.127.28.14> Date: Sun, 08 Feb 1998 17:16:52 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Precious and Few At 04:21 PM 2/8/98 -0600, **Tarnished Silence** wrote: > >Coinkydink or not? Not. ;) Linnell had this to say about the song in an info club newsletter a while back: << In a sense, the sound of this track harkens back to the earliest They Might Be Giants recordings. All the percussion is from a tiny Yamaha sound module. The bass is a Cello plucked by Mr. Garo Yellin. The words, which visit the themes of depression, alcoholism, and self destruction, are the original products of our own imaginations, although the chorus makes fleeting reference to a popular soft-rock song from the 70s: "Precious and few are the moments we two can share." >> TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19980208180831.0090aec0@email.uc.edu> Date: Sun, 08 Feb 1998 18:24:42 -0500 From: Heather Garver Subject: Re: TMBG: You all need a drink At 03:45 PM 2/8/98 EST, you wrote: >I mean that. Everyone who is up in arms aboot everyone else. Go have a brew. >Or something harder. Perhaps Jack Daniel's or Smirnoff's. If this list had >been drunker in the first place, we'd still have Mike Leffel to worship. >We're on the internet here. Everyone has the freedom to say whatever they >want, and I think that's glorious. Even here on the TMBG list, I could talk >aboot my new "Wham" bumper sticker if I wanted. It's blue, with those guys >air-guitaring on it. Or I could talk aboot beastiality, because there is no >communal standard of "decency." But what's important aboot this is >information. That's what the internet itself was designed for, the spread of >information. I love to learn things. I read books. I go to boring web sites >just so I'll know the average life span of an al paca. And I read "non-tmbg" >posts because I like to know, damn it. If you don't want to read them, don't, >but it's not harmful to have information presented to you. >And everyone who's bitching aboot everyone else. Just drink. It works. > ~Moose (who happens to be drinking >this moment) Right on, I'd have to totally agree, everyone needs to just lighten up a bit. This list used to be a lot more fun when everyone didn't have a stick up their a$$. Anyways, just to add some content here, I'm currently looking for a couple of bootlegs in particular. Specifically, any of the shows at Bogart's in Cincinnati since 1996. The dates are something like Spring(April?) 1996, and October 16?, 1997. Anyways, please email me about these and we can work out a trade or something. Later, Heather(who is herself recovering from a night of drinking fun) ------------------------------ From: SuperD149@aol.com Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 18:07:56 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <980208180756_1148319688@mrin51.mx> Subject: TMBG: tour dates does anyone know the current tour dates. If so could you please E-mail them to me. Thanks. David ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 17:36:02 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Non-TMBG: missing mike leffel... Message-ID: On Sun, 8 Feb 1998 Vandal191@aol.com wrote: > If this list had been drunker in the first place, we'd still have Mike > Leffel to worship. *sigh*... if only it had been that easy... --jim kuemmerle, passing 'round a virtual tankard of beer to the list in memory of the 'good old days'... .. @@@@@ ;=|;|'| [ |"|:| "y|.|,| ===== j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ and remember, kids, "the good old days never say goodbye if you keep this in your mind: you need some lu-lu-lovin' arms, you need some lu-lu-lovin' arms..." ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 20:23:06 -0500 (EST) From: 99 and 44/100% MIKe! Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: missing mike leffel... Message-ID: On Sun, 8 Feb 1998, J Kuemmerle wrote: > *sigh*... if only it had been that easy... > > --jim kuemmerle, passing 'round a virtual tankard of beer to the list in > memory of the 'good old days'... I remember the days _before_ the good old days. They were great. Viva Sam and Randy! MIKe *TMBG Info Club ID No: 18902* THE COOLEST PLACE TO BE - Mr Flippy's Red Light Funtime Party Hour --->http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy<--- AND: Check out the webzine JournalX at www.journalx.com New story every Monday! _Every Monday_! ------------------------------ From: Strawbos69@aol.com Message-ID: <6d2b7195.34de71bb@aol.com> Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 22:02:17 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Precious and Few In a message dated 98-02-08 17:29:56 EST, you questioned : <<"Precious and few are the moments we two can share" or something very similar. >> << "Precious and few are the moments that you and your own worse enemy share" Coinkydink or not? >> Ya think! :) Grins at the thought of hitting the "delete button" yet a few more dozens times! "It's just a song" JL ------------------------------ From: "Mr. Me" Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 22:18:46 CST Subject: Re: TMBG: Precious and Few Message-ID: <842F534A1A@athena.valpo.edu> the 'precious and few' thing was in last year's tmbg newsletter, the one with the cut out factory cube. they had a factory tour of all the songs on the album, and mentioned the pseudo rip-off of the precious and few line. oh, and i personally support internet censorship, just to get as much of the unintelligent and tasteless garbage off of it. i think that in order for us to have free speech we should have to pass a minimal test first, kinda like getting a driver's liscence. we take this test, and then we get a free speech permit which allows us to speak freely but only in the prescence of mom and dad and then after six months of that, we are allowed to have free speech. captain profanity of course would not qualify. jeremy [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "Instead of creating new weapons of destruction, we ought to get some use out of the ones we already have." Deep Thoughts [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: or p356jskrenes@exodus.valpo.edu 141 Wehrenberg Airwaves: Sunday nights, 12-2am 95.1, WVUR Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 22:51:12 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: Censorship: ohhh, DON'T get me started.... Message-ID: On Sun, 8 Feb 1998, Mr. Me wrote: > oh, and i personally support internet censorship, just to get as much > of the unintelligent and tasteless garbage off of it. i think that > in order for us to have free speech we should have to pass a minimal > test first, kinda like getting a driver's liscence. we take this > test, and then we get a free speech permit which allows us to speak > freely but only in the prescence of mom and dad and then after six > months of that, we are allowed to have free speech. captain > profanity of course would not qualify. i sincerely hope you're joking about this. --jim kuemmerle, who finds this idea numerous orders of magnitude more unintelligent and tasteless than anything in (ahem) "captain profanity's" message. j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-404 ******************************