Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-407 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 407 Thursday, 12 February 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: On the Move... TMBG: They Stack RE: TMBG: They Stack TMBG: Re: first impression TMBG: hypercard Re: TMBG: Re: first impression TMBG: first impressions Re: TMBG: Precious and Few, They Might Be Drunk? Re: TMBG: Precious and Few, They Might Be Drunk? Re: TMBG: First impressions Re: TMBG: They Might Be Drunk? Re: NON TMBG: Parental Advisory...this message has a lot of profanity... NON-TMBG: hypercard / misc Re: TMBG: On the Move... Re: TMBG: First impressions TMBG: Hall of Mayors non-TMBG: horrible old English cartoons Re: TMBG: Precious and Few, They Might Be Drunk? TMBG: Ever Noticed... TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-405 TMBG: First Impressions & Famous People's EMail addresses.... TMBG: It's Fun To Steal Re: TMBG: It's Fun To Steal Re: TMBG: Famous People's EMail addresses.... Re: TMBG: Famous People's EMail addresses.... TMBG: WAEA Re: TMBG: Hall of Mayors TMBG: First impressions and other things Re: TMBG: first impressions TMBG: First impressions TMBG: Conversions. Re: TMBG: First impressions Re: TMBG: Conversions.(More Like TMBG-Live) TMBG: How I got started, Flans' email Re: TMBG: It's Fun To Steal Re: TMBG: first impressions Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Strawbos69@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 02:30:46 EST Subject: TMBG: On the Move... Compliments of alt.music.tmbg > >Date: Tue, Feb 10, 1998 21:54 EST ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ www.restless.com UPCOMING RELEASES Feb. 10th - Original Score (Restless)- Score to Dangerous Beauty by George Fenton Feb. 23th - Hi-Town Djs (Restless Soul) - Ding-A-Ling Single Mar. 24th - Hi-Town Djs (Restless Soul) - We Came To Groove Mar. 24th - The Golden Palominos (Restless) - remixes title TBA Apr. 24th - Suncatcher (Restless) - The Girl that God Forgot May 19th - Perfect - title TBA also They Might Be Giants Live, The Golden Palominos, and Hate Dept. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~` To the original poster, YOU ROCK! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 00:23:44 -0800 (PST) Message-Id: From: Bob Gonsalves Subject: TMBG: They Stack Nicole mentioned that there was a Hypercard stack that Professor Linnell created that was posted on the Elektra site. She kindly checked and determined that it's no longer there. So, I put the question to fellow listies: Does anybody have a copy of that little piece of software? -Bob Gonsalves ------------------------------ Message-ID: <01BD3694.4A954C40@s116b.rcn.nmt.edu> From: Nick Wolf Subject: RE: TMBG: They Stack Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 02:25:14 -0700 Ooooooh....I want one too if anybody can get me one. Thanks, Refund -----Original Message----- From: Bob Gonsalves [SMTP:pinknoiz@ccnet.com] Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 1998 1:24 AM To: Whoopee Cushions Subject: TMBG: They Stack Nicole mentioned that there was a Hypercard stack that Professor Linnell created that was posted on the Elektra site. She kindly checked and determined that it's no longer there. So, I put the question to fellow listies: Does anybody have a copy of that little piece of software? -Bob Gonsalves ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <21f8c527.34e15357@aol.com> Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 02:29:25 EST Subject: TMBG: Re: first impression ::jumping on the bandwagon:: The first (or one of anyways) TMBG song I know I'd heard before being a TMBG fan was Don't Let's Start from the radio. (but it was weird in a way because I had always had a vague recollection of who they were, since...probably the late 80's.. I knew it was 2 guys and one had glasses, so I *must* have seen an early tv appearance..) ....then around 94, John Henry came out and I kinda took a little more notice (Well for a reason mostly: because there was a little boy on a playground during vacation that summer, pushing a little girl in the butt up a slide, and his mom called him John Henry and it became an inside joke with a friend of mine.... but that's not really important..) Then one afternoon I was listening to the radio and Particle Man came on and I jumped to press 'record'. I listened to this radio mix tape a lot and one day had a friend listen to it and she said "Oh I know this song! My sister has this tape!" and since I only had 1/2 Particle Man on tape she offered to tape the whole song for me. About a year later I had a birthday gift certificate to Media Play and decided to get a TMBG cd. Not knowing a lot of their stuff I wanted a cd with something I consciously knew on it - all they had with a song I recognized (Don't Let's Start) on it was Misc. T. So I got it, instantly loved it, and eventually followed up with JH, Flood, A18, Lincoln, and finally Pink. (then of course I come to find out later that I knew 'the guitar' and 'ana ng', but never knew the titles ) {wow that was a lot longer than I thought } sarah * http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <3b602713.34e154a8@aol.com> Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 02:35:01 EST Subject: TMBG: hypercard whoops, shoulda read the whole list. >>Linnell *is* the computer one; he's the one who did the John Henry >>HyperCard stack on the old Elektra TMBG page. > >Ooh, ooh. Do you actually have this, or know someone who does? I *used* to have it, till my hard drive crashed (one of the many times...) It was cute though.. I actually opened up the little sound files and used them for alert sounds. >:) I got it offa AOL somewhere... if you go to keyword: filesearch and type in They Might Be Giants .. or else you'll have to look.. in the music file area or the hypercard area. sarah ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 10:11:23 -0500 (EST) From: The Living Behemoth Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: first impression Message-id: When I was in high school, our class did a talent show skit to all the songs in Fingertips. As in, they acted out the lyrics quite literally. It was amazing and hilarious. On a later shopping trip, my friend bought Apollo 18, but I never heard it. On arriving at college, I saw an Apollo 18 poster hanging on someone's wall. That's it, I thought, and I went out and bought the CD at Media Play. It still is my favorite album. In rapid sucession the others were purchased, without even hearing a single song on them....he he he. -The Living Behemoth *************************************************************************** "There are three kinds of people in the world--those who can count and those who can't." "Whatever doesn't kill you will make you stranger." "The world fascinates me. It's so nice. Whatever it is." -Andy Warhol ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 06:40:35 -0700 Subject: TMBG: first impressions Message-ID: <19980211.064039.18630.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) hEY HEy! i know i've told the list my story like a bazillion times but hey here goes... back in 1989 my older sister had the lincoln 'tape' (no, we weren't cool enough to have cd players yet) i used to go in here room and steal it all the time (along with a bunch of other useless crap). then one day i saw them on tiny toons... wow, was that cool... luckily my sister saw it too and immediately bought the flood album. yah, now i had something else to steal from her! anyways, by that time i had gotten a cd player and proceeded to buy both lincoln and flood on cd for myself. as i did with the rest of the albums in order as they came out... it wasn't until after i got JH that i got the pink album... it was way cool listening to 'em in that order because i could seriously hear a difference in their voices from the earlier years which, now, no matter how hard i try, i just can't hear (so, possibly i was on some sort of hallucinogenic drugs... i'm not putting anything past me...) now-a-days my sister is a dj for a grip of raves and only likes 'pure techno' and thus the only TMBG songs she even remotely likes (ie won't scream at me to 'turn off that crap') are the remixed versions of the guitar and S~E~X~X~Y... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ***February 21st: Sno-Core Tour!*** ***February 22nd: Mr. T Experience!!*** _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: "Drunken Bird" Organization: Columbus State Univ., Columbus, Ga. Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 11:59:43 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Precious and Few, They Might Be Drunk? Message-ID: Is it me, or does "Precious and Few" remind of old people and soup? I think I like the TMBG twist on it it. On the thought of drunkeness, I couldn't help but to wonder, do the Johns drink alot? Has anybody ever seen them plastered? I don't know, but I can't just see them crawling on the ground, reaching for an accordion. - Drunken Bird (IRC: WrymEnigma) "Music self-played, is happiness self-made" They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ From: BenMoobil@aol.com Message-ID: <856af233.34e1ddc2@aol.com> Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 12:20:00 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Precious and Few, They Might Be Drunk? In a message dated 2/11/98 11:08:27 AM Central Standard Time, THROWER_JASON@colstate.edu writes: << On the thought of drunkeness, I couldn't help but to wonder, do the Johns drink alot? Has anybody ever seen them plastered? >> not exactally but at the St>petersburgFlorida show on 04-12-97 the caterers delivered 6 cases of Bass beer and Gravel Pit the opening band that evening was definatly one step above fall down drunk and the bass player impressed me by being able to do 4 things at once (drink,smoke,play, and stand up he was dowing a cool smooth rolling rock by the way and smoking camels) but i know great quanitites of java were consumed by the duo and water too . The Ben ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 12:28:44 -0600 (CST) From: Kara Hofman Subject: Re: TMBG: First impressions Message-ID: This is in resonse to the first impressions question. I first heard them several years ago when I was at this Summerscape camp. I was only 11 or 12 and some of the dorm assistants listened to them. One of the groups did a lip sync to Birdhouse and I've been hooked since then. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 14:13:12 -0500 (EST) From: LN Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Drunk? Message-ID: Excuse me if my memory fails me, but at a Boston show, ('96 Nov. at the Paradise) I distinctly remember Flans giving a beer to a member of the audience... -=ellen=- "Exhausted from oversleep, awake but still in bed" ------------------------------ From: Amadais@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 15:40:10 EST Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Parental Advisory...this message has a lot of profanity... In a message dated 98-02-07 14:34:28 EST, some idiot wrote: << Ok, whoever is doing all these #&^$$ messages is really beginning to $%$#^ annoy me. They apparently think they are $#^#3^ hot %^$# or something, but I have one message: %$#&^%# OFF!!! If you have no other #&^$#@ life other than TMBG that when you're bored you have to post to this god$%$% list as some other #^#&^%# person, than you are the most pathetic piece of $%*&^# that I have ever seen. Granted, TMBG is not doing anything right now, but it doesn't mean you have to impersonate people, etc. etc. I really like TMBG, & I don't mind NONTMBG posts, but damn hackers doing dumb $&*%4 things just to show off what dumb #$%$..........BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, SWEAR,SWEAR, SWEAR,........................>> Ok Happyfroot, i dont know who you think you are but that is a completely uncalled for outburst, somebody is just trying to have a little bit of fun (and i am sure that They Might Be Giants themselves support having fun) while there is nothing else to talk about on the list. there is no need for such a useless post like that. Oh, sorry, i may have missjudged you, you are probably just one of those people who have a very limited vocabulary and cant think of any stonger words to use, so you just swear really often. Oh, by the way, i just love your personal quote in your profile...( i could go on). ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199802112045.PAA27461@ee.net> Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 15:41:39 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: NON-TMBG: hypercard / misc So, uh... (and I was wondering this way back when Elektra _did_ have it on their site... and never found the answer...) What *is* hypercard or a hypercard stack anyway? Help a pc-user out... And another thing... does anyone have any Lincoln or David Bryne mp3s... or even just clips from the album... And the Mono Puff release date is April 21, right? no? And does anyone really *like* House Of Mayors? I just got it, and really can't stand all the mayors tracks, though the processionals and title track are cool... -ec ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980211213434.0066cfd8@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 15:34:34 -0600 From: "The Lil' Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: On the Move... >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ >www.restless.com >UPCOMING RELEASES >Feb. 10th - Original Score (Restless)- Score to Dangerous Beauty by >George Fenton >Feb. 23th - Hi-Town Djs (Restless Soul) - Ding-A-Ling Single >Mar. 24th - Hi-Town Djs (Restless Soul) - We Came To Groove >Mar. 24th - The Golden Palominos (Restless) - remixes title TBA >Apr. 24th - Suncatcher (Restless) - The Girl that God Forgot >May 19th - Perfect - title TBA >also They Might Be Giants Live, The Golden Palominos, and Hate Dept. >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~` > >To the original poster, YOU ROCK! Yes he does, and YOU ROCK for posting it to the Mailing list! Woooooohoooooooooo, I'm calling up hastings right now! As a girl I know would say, "YAY! YAY!" L "is for Licentatious, because I wanted a big word here!" B "is for Bannanna Man, DOES ANYONE REMEMBER THIS?" D "is as always is for Dick Clark, the Oldest Teenager in the world. With Archie in a close second." -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980211213430.00669338@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 15:34:30 -0600 From: "The Lil' Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: First impressions Ahem, this is gonna be hard, just gotta cut and paste from my webpage. --PASTE WEB PAGE TEXT HERE-- It was a while back, I don't know '92, maybe? I, like many other children, sat there watching a cartoon entitled Tiny Toon Adventures. That day I sat in Awe, they had an MTV Parody of an episode where they were playing music videos. One video really turned my head, It was a song called Istanbul by a band called "They Might Be Giants," I fell in love with the song and the other song by Them. I dismissed TMBG as a real band because They were on a cartoon, but I still held a tape recorder up to my TV and copied the songs to tape (Hey My First TMBG Bootleg), and promptly lost the tape. A few years later, I was listening to the Radio Show DOCTOR DEMENTO, and they Played the song Particle Man (Which was also on the Tiny Toons episode) by THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS. The good Doctor mentioned that it was from their album FLOOD, (and also mentioned that it was banned in Singapore) which I promptly went out and bought. I listened to flood almost Non-Stop for a time long enough to annoy my brother with it. A few more Years, I was watching a great TV show called VIVA VARIETY (From those lovable scamps that did the STATE) and guess who was on it, THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS. I ran out and bought their newest album (FACTORY SHOWROOM) and listened to it over again. Then the Process of purchasing the rest was: Apollo 18, (For Cheap!) Then: The Early Years, (Their First Two CD's + some never before seen stuff, on a Two Disk set) and Finally John Henry. (Out of the USED CD bin) --END PASTING HERE-- LDB, who reminds you it looks better if you read it off my page... -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font ------------------------------ From: Monotreme3@aol.com Message-ID: <6733ceaf.34e21b70@aol.com> Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 16:43:09 EST Subject: TMBG: Hall of Mayors In a message dated 2/11/98 3:43:53 PM Eastern Standard Time, chakroff@ee.net writes: > And does anyone really *like* House Of Mayors? I just got it, and really > can't stand all the mayors tracks, though the processionals and title track > are cool... I "really *like*" House... er... Hall of Mayors. It's just a cool thing to listen to all the way through. Sure, I like the processionals and title track best... but there's also the joyously great "Will You Love Me in December as You do in May?" The rest of the tracks rock, too, I think. So that's what I think. Okay. Good night. -Carey ------------------------------ From: nmoos1@rachel.chatham.edu Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 16:59:27 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <199802112159.QAA23512@hackerz.org> Subject: non-TMBG: horrible old English cartoons > B "is for Bannanna Man, DOES ANYONE REMEMBER THIS?" Every time Eric eats a bah-nah-nah . . . dammit, i thought i'd sufficiently *buried* my lurid cartoon past!! --pnaomi, who needs her roommate to remind her to watch Dexter's Lab tonight. ------------------------------ From: MatFoley99@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 17:08:56 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Precious and Few, They Might Be Drunk? << On the thought of drunkeness, I couldn't help but to wonder, do the Johns drink alot? Has anybody ever seen them plastered? >> Hey, well, I remember reading off the FAQ site or something that Linnell said he wasn't too fond of alcohol...okay, I'm done. Chris MatFoley99@aol.com "You have to make one crazy demand when holding hostages so you can plead insanity if you get caught" -Steve Martin ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 15:56:17 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Ever Noticed... Message-ID: <19980211.155620.2678.1.johnhenry5@juno.com> From: johnhenry5@juno.com (Andy Nich0ls) Hi. I was just wondering if anyone else noticed that They have released a new CD ever other year? TMBG- 1986 Lincoln- 1988 Flood- 1990 Apollo 18- 1992 John Henry- 1994 Factory Showroom- 1996 The Live Album- 1998 Kinda strange, huh? Andy Nich0ls _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Tmbg87vf83@aol.com Message-ID: <8b7001fa.34e213ed@aol.com> Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 16:11:07 EST Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-405 In a message dated 98-02-10 02:05:33 EST, you write: << i take back anything bad i ever said about todd berry, he made many REALLY funny jokes at the expense of people who pretty much didnt get it and he called my friend goth which forever endears him to my sorry little heart. >> DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE he didn't even call me a goth he just reacted to loser boy's statement. love,erin ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Message-ID: <1bfc3107.34e243bb@aol.com> Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 19:35:05 EST Subject: TMBG: First Impressions & Famous People's EMail addresses.... Well, I think TMBG really hit hard with Particle Man for me, which planted the seed....followed by Fingertips (imbedding the seed further) & finally was deeply implanted with Why Does The Sun Shine? & since then I have been overobsessed with They. Oh & here's something nifty about famous people: some of them are online! Although, I'm not sure if John & John go around emailing people & such, many other bands do. (Here's a part that's completely NOT TMBG related, so you might want to skip it). Daisy Berkowitz (that was the former guitarist from Marilyn Manson) emailed me. Of course, I thought in my head, "yeah, right," but I figured it would be fun to play along & email him about some poop (literaly). Anyway, he emailed me back saying I was funny & that no one believed who he was. I didn't quite believe it myself, but it was fun to pretend. Anyway, he deleted the email account because so many people called him a fraud & about a week later on his new band's official web page, he talked about having to close the account.... so, maybe the johns will email one of us one of these days!!! jason "capt. profanity" glastetter ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34E247F1.1ECB354F@indy.net> Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 19:53:05 -0500 From: Neal Shoger Subject: TMBG: It's Fun To Steal The previously mentioned release date for It's Fun To Steal was April 21. However while looking over the ICE Magazine site, I found this tidbit. March 31 - Mono Puff (w/ John Flansburgh of They Might Be Giants) It's Fun To Steal (Bar None) Don't know if this is just old info but this is the same magazine that my local (Indianapolis) newspaper uses. And by the way, I really liked the only two songs with words on House of Mayors but found both of Linnell's Hello EP's just odd. Scott ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 18:04:55 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: It's Fun To Steal Message-ID: On Wed, 11 Feb 1998, Neal Shoger wrote: > The previously mentioned release date for It's Fun To Steal was April > 21. However while looking over the ICE Magazine site, I found this > tidbit. > March 31 - Mono Puff (w/ John Flansburgh of They Might Be Giants) > It's Fun To Steal (Bar None) > Don't know if this is just old info but this is the same magazine that > my local (Indianapolis) newspaper uses. if it's old info, i could see that it would be inaccurate, but ICE is generally a pretty reliable source... --jim kuemmerle, who's not a very reliable source... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ (crumbs, chief! count duckula's on the loose again! do you think silas greenback's behind it all?) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980211204011.00847b70@mail.csrlink.net> Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 20:40:11 -0500 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: Re: TMBG: Famous People's EMail addresses.... At 07:35 PM 2/11/98 EST, you wrote: > >so, maybe the johns will email one of us one of these days!!! > Well. Maybe. But I do hope that you aren't defending Chris "Feeny" Campbell's idiocy. Someone mentioned that a small sample of that conversation was all that was needed to prove that it wasn't Flans, and they were totally right. And time and time again I'll say it if I have to-Both Johns have proved that they are not ones to seek out their fans in ANY way. Members of other bands, sure, maybe they're the kind to go right out and apparently email fans of theirs out of the blue. Dylan "Mike Leffel has pet peeves too" Flipse Dylan Flipse...one of them. - dflipse@csrlink.net Dylan's page is at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ for now. I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed -They Might Be Giants, the coolest thing this side of Zaphod Beeblebrox. ------------------------------ From: DrWormX@aol.com Message-ID: <7b37b596.34e25f77@aol.com> Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 21:33:21 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Famous People's EMail addresses.... thank you Mr. Flipse for noticing my simple insight on the issue, and I'm happy someone else understood how idiotic and gullible feeny was being (no offence chris campbell). I thought it was pretty obvious that if this really was J.F, or any other famous person for that matter, they probably wouldn't even had told you it was them, and if they did, they wouldn't go on trying to convince you that it was them, because you believing them would have no advantages for them in any way whatsoever. This person probably just has too much free time on their hands (sort of like all of us), and was in the mood to try and trick someone gullible into believing their ludicrous story. This letter probably made no sense to anyone, because of my listening to FAEA on the CD player on my CPU while I wrote it, and it's probably better that no one did. Matt Turn around, turn around, there's a human skull on the ground You're so 1990, and it's 1994 A bad-ass mother G.I.Joe, for your little mind to blow http://members.tripod.com/~drworm ------------------------------ From: DrWormX@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 21:48:45 EST Subject: TMBG: WAEA sorry, I accidentally put FAEA, and thought that this might cause some confusion (or maybe I'm insane). It was intended to be WAEA. I felt I should correct myself so I wouldn't annoy any disgruntled BFF fans. Anyway... Matt Turn around, turn around, there's a human skull on the ground You're so 1990, and it's 1994 A bad-ass mother G.I.Joe, for your little mind to blow http://members.tripod.com/~drworm ------------------------------ From: Spoonerism@aol.com Message-ID: <788f6a50.34e2641f@aol.com> Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 21:53:17 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Hall of Mayors In a message dated 98-02-11 16:44:49 EST, you write: << > And does anyone really *like* House Of Mayors? I just got it, and really > can't stand all the mayors tracks, though the processionals and title track > are cool... >> My personal favourite is the sea-chanty type processional, but I LOVE the toy piano deal, and the out-of-tune piano too. -Casey ------------------------------ From: Shaft137@aol.com Message-ID: <344199d9.34e26df6@aol.com> Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 22:35:16 EST Subject: TMBG: First impressions and other things this episode of South Park is the most frightening (but hilarious) yet. anyway...hi. i have long since forgotten what my first They moment was. i think it happened somewhere in 1988. i was flipping through some old comics today. i came across an issue of x-factor and a combo tmbg/weird al reference. some guy was listening the radio (Dr. Demento to be exact) and a song by al that was a parody of particle man, called multiple man. oh, that wacky peter david. finally, for the longest time i thought i was the only human alive that remembered danger mouse and all the great brit-toons. it's nice to know that i am not crazy. adam schaaf, he's amazing, he's fantastic, he's the strongest, he's the greatest, he's the best. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980211225614.0069b8a8@pop.indy.net> Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 22:56:14 -0500 From: Rachel Subject: Re: TMBG: first impressions ok, ok, here goes: one day one of my bestfriends who drove me to school everyday was like "you gotta hear these guys, they might be giants, they're so wacky" or something to that effect. the cd was misc t and the whole time we were listening to it he was pointing out all the weird lyrics and saying stuff like "he actually said 'deputy dog!" or "crocidile eyes" ect, ect. and of course 'kiss me son of god' became an instant favorite. then, as if this wasn't enough to get me hooked, i was fortunate enough to go see them a couple months later and after the concert i was in love. and i've been a mega obsessed fan ever since. true story. lovies, rachel ps: someone mentioned the guitar remix and i just have to say that if there was any song by tmbg that i'm really not crazy about- that would be it. i always go into this annoying coma-like state when ever i listen to it. (and i'm sure someone's going to beat me down for this comment! :) ------------------------------ From: Strawbos69@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 23:08:05 EST Subject: TMBG: First impressions In a message dated 98-02-11 22:36:43 EST, Shaft137@aol.com writes: << TMBG: First impressions >> I became a fan at the FS show. I had just started getting into their stuff, but was kinda "ho hum" about. I only went to the show because 2 of my friends were going, and promised it would be well worth it. After a long day of work, and a little reluctancy to leave the comfort of my Lazy-Boy wannabe chair, I went. They played Don't Let's Start about half way through the show. I can honestly say I've been a HUGE fan ever since. And now you know...the REST of the story... "we've already played this song once, but it's on the setlist twice, so..." ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 22:34:55 -0600 (CST) From: Jason Loss Subject: TMBG: Conversions. Message-ID: I converted a friend of mine, and his brother, a few years back. I had just bought Apollo 18, and subjected my friend to it, he enjoyed most of the album, but Turn Around and Spider got him to listen to the album again, and he literally put the whole CD on repeat and we listened to it several times. He bought apollo 18 the next day, and currently owns Apollo 18, Flood and John Henry, soon to buy Lincoln and Misc T. His brother took a lot longer to appreciate Them, but they grew on him, and he enjoys and speaks highly of the Johns. Also, the www.restless.com didn't have any info about the TMBG: LIVE release as was forwarded here a couple of days ago.. "What the hell was that caterpillar thing that Silas Greenback had? Why was count duckula's maid really huge? What is the name of that crow on Bananaman? Does inspector gadget have any idea what's going on? who knows." Jason a.k.a. Darkheart, the supreme idler, on Efnet. ___________________________________________________________________________ "Chinese people were fighting in the park, we tried to help them fight, noone appreciated that." They Might Be Giants, Purple Toupee "1-2-3-4!!" Ramones, any song, choose your favorite. "YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!!!" Mr. Hat - South Park ___________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 23:26:22 -0500 From: Wayde Subject: Re: TMBG: First impressions Message-id: <3.0.2.32.19980211232622.0079c500@uoft02.utoledo.edu> >I got hooked by Following an Angel. >Though FS and JH both grew on me with time >Sarah Winningham I was first hooked on the JH album...but don't ask me to pick any particular song. It was more like the album as a whole. Then I got back to the basics with "then: the early years" with which I completely fell in love with She's an Angel. Factory Showroom...I'm just plain speechless! :) -Wayde ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980211234222.00979c70@mail.csrlink.net> Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 23:42:22 -0500 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: Re: TMBG: Conversions.(More Like TMBG-Live) At 10:34 PM 2/11/98 -0600, you wrote: >Also, the www.restless.com didn't >have any info about the TMBG: LIVE release as was forwarded here a couple >of days ago.. You have to look for it, but if you click on the Press Room (Actual URL is http://www.restless.com/press.html) link and then check out the fine print at the bottom of that red box, there it is- "They Might Be Giants Live." Dylan "Maintaining tense, just as Mike Leffel used to" Flipse Dylan Flipse...one of them. - dflipse@csrlink.net Dylan's page is at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ for now. I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed -They Might Be Giants, the coolest thing this side of Zaphod Beeblebrox. ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 00:17:51 EST Subject: TMBG: How I got started, Flans' email Hello 41- Just because I feel like it... I heard some of Lincoln a bit before Flood came out. I thought it was pretty wild, but didn't pay much thought... Then a friend played Flood for me, right when it came out and that was that. But I was a Floodie right when Flood came out. That counts for something right... I know that Flans himself doesn't have internet. I know that people that work for TMBG/Horn Blow do however. I'm sure at times they get a kick out of making people think they are Flans. Adam ------------------------------ From: BenMoobil@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 01:41:04 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: It's Fun To Steal In a message dated 2/11/98 7:06:38 PM Central Standard Time, J.Kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu writes: << f it's old info, i could see that it would be inaccurate, but ICE is generally a pretty reliable source... >> in my experience ICE is never right , its always wrong the like make up dates The Be n ------------------------------ From: BenMoobil@aol.com Message-ID: <6cab9b77.34e29aba@aol.com> Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 01:46:16 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: first impressions In a message dated 2/11/98 9:57:54 PM Central Standard Time, eck@indy.net writes: << ps: someone mentioned the guitar remix and i just have to say that if there was any song by tmbg that i'm really not crazy about- that would be it. i always go into this annoying coma-like state when ever i listen to it. (and i'm sure someone's going to beat me down for this comment! :) >> I am not going to beat you down for this comment that happens to be somehtinbg i agree with 100% ! the Ben ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-407 ******************************