Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-411 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 411 Monday, 16 February 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: Misc T TMBG: music video debate Re: TMBG: stumpbox confirm... TMBG: ICQ NON-TMBG: 3/3 MTX/RBF/Pilfers show @ IP Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <19980215144129.16278.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Charles Hodges" Subject: TMBG: Misc T Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 06:41:28 PST i've been lurking for a month, and have had a hard time keeping uP. so if some of the references are a month old, please bear with mE. 1) TMBG covered a phil ochs song, "one more parade" on elektra's "rubaiyat" (not a great cover, if you ask mE) 2) does anyone know where I can find sales numbers for TMBg? i'm very curious as to how well (or not) They selL. 3) another in the "just curious" section: what are the john's birthdates (with years, if availablE)? 4) how many TMBG-listers are not in the u.S.? am i the only one in braziL? 5) my first TMBG song ever heard was "minimum wage," which cracked me uP. the same year ('91), four female friends of mine were going to the shoW. they said they wanted a male to go with theM. i was only too happy to spend the night with four females, so i went to a show in Atlanta, GA, where they played to some 400 peoplE. and the name of my car was istanbul, after the sonG. ironically, it was only when I got back to brazil that I got really turned onto TheM. i lent a tape that had istanbul and a bunch of other stuff on it to a friend, and when he gave it back he said, "hey, that istanbul song is really great" so i started paying more attention to TheM. i had lincoln and flood at the timE. i listened to flood so much that i'm actually kind of sick of it, and it's one of the albums i listen to leasT. well, i was hookeD. i found misc t and the pink album here in stores (incredibly), but have had to order all the otherS. the only claim to fame i have is a promo version of FS (which is my 2nd fav, tied with apollo 18. first is lincolN). 6) just about everyone here in recife that knows TMBG knows 'em, directly or indirectly, because of mE. as an english teacher, i give at least one TMBG song to every class i havE. i've managed to make quite a few convertS. that's iT. HW (r) aka platybuS aka enjauladO --------------------- cd listened to while writing this missive: throwing muses' "the real ramonA" (wonderfuL!) "everybody dies frustrated and sad and that is beautifuL" - they might be giantS ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 10:44:24 -0700 Subject: TMBG: music video debate Message-ID: <19980215.104431.21006.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) hEy HEy! i don't know if any of you guys have noticed this but the current buzz in the music industry is a debate over music videos. I guess Pearl Jam and Joe Jackson are combining efforts to let the world know the "evils of music videos...but why artists should keep making them anyhow." [my theory: PJ is just following in JJ's footsteps] Anyways, there's a whole article on this in one of the local newspapers here about how Joe jackson, who in the mid-80's was pretty much alone in his disdain for music videos, but continued to make them and thus could "fill all 9,000 seats at Red Rocks" But now, While Jackson is trying "to buck the rules" he's finding no support for his music and "wednesday, he couldn't draw 1,000 people into the Ogden Theatre" [red rocks being pretty well known... only about a bazillion bands have their live albums there. and the Ogden... in the middle of denver's big big whoredom (colfax st.) where, yes, our own johns played back in january of '97] guess what? there is a point to all of this.... i want some opinions on what everyone thinks the johns POV is on the whole music video situation is... obviously, they too, did not make any videos for their latest lp release (Factory Showroom) and in the birdhouse video (i think...) they have people marching around with the signs that say something along the lines of "stop rock videos" (sorry, it's been a while since i've seen it and i'm waaay to lazy to go through the ultimate video collection and watch it) if it weren't for the fact that john flansburgh directs videos i would say that they were in the same boat as Joe Jackson... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ***2/21 Sno-Core Tour | 2/22 MTX | 3/4 Lincoln!*** _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199802151823.NAA20184@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: stumpbox confirm... Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 13:23:27 -0500 (EST) > > JOda: Master of Yedi writes: > > > i was listening to stumpbox 2 and was wondering if anyone could tell me > > what show they sang 'yellow submarine' at... kurt hoffman is playing so > > i'm gonna guess some time around '94? > I saw them do Yellow Submarine in Chicago on Saturday, June 27(?), 1992 (a Debut Album show). I don't remember whether it was a "Stump the Band," a "Spin the Dial," or "Your Father's Favorite Song" bit. I can't even be positive that it's the version that's on Stump II, but I assume that it is because a) I remember that Flans made up all silly lyrics instead of attempting to "cover" the song, and b) it's pretty unlikely that they would do the song twice as a Stump/ Spin/Favorite segment (although some songs, such as Dominique, which started this way were performed again at later dates). > > Lawrence P. Solomon writes: > > presumably, there's a whole bootleg with that on it, that has yet to > surface... I haven't found it yet, either. But I would REALLY like to! m@t ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 17:02:46 -0700 Subject: TMBG: ICQ Message-ID: <19980215.170557.4078.4.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) hEY HEy! if any of you have ICQ go to: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9094/icqlist.html it's a list of all the TMBG fans with ICQ... to be added to the list e-mail: divainsneakers@hotmail.com if you don't have ICQ, it's cool, you should get it... i'm sure there's a link or download from the geocities address up there but if not... go to www.icq.com/ take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ***2/21: Sno-Core Tour | 2/22 : MTX | 3/4 Lincoln!*** _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: "Perry's Life Savings" Subject: NON-TMBG: 3/3 MTX/RBF/Pilfers show @ IP Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 00:13:28 -0500 Message-ID: <01bd3a99$d81e17a0$256303cf@mlee.planet.net> Is anyone on the list going to the March 3 Mr T. Experience show at Irving Plaza? I'd like to meet some listies there, and it's basically the only show i'm going to for awhile. If you're going, mail me privately. Hernk! ********************************** a world screams kiss me son of god email = mlee@planet.net icq = 1840333 irc = Cain^ http:\\www.planet.net\pmlee ********************************** ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-411 ******************************