Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-413 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 413 Wednesday, 18 February 1998 Today's Topics: Re: NON-TMBG: everything you know is wronG NON-TMBG: Morphine & the Grammys.... TMBG: how the johns spent their valentines day... Semi-TMBG: 2-21-97 Irving Plaza TMBG: TMBG surprise guest appearance TMBG: sales figures / music video debate Re: TMBG: sales figures / music video debate Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980217071439.006a6604@130.127.28.14> Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 07:14:39 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: everything you know is wronG No, the phrase "everything you know is wrong" (or at least the one that inspired Al) comes from Firesign Theater. It's thanked in the liner notes. -Adam At 07:12 PM 2/16/98 PST, Charles Hodges wrote: >i may or may not be the first to notice (or mention) this, but "weird >al"'s song "everything you know is wrong," besides being a somewhat >obvious (to anyone who knows the band well) reference to TMBG, it's also >a reference to, of all bands, u2. i happened to watch the video for >"the fly" today, and one of the many phrases that appear on signs and >such is "everything you know is wronG". well, i thought i might mention >iT. /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 16:41:27 EST Subject: NON-TMBG: Morphine & the Grammys.... Well, I was looking over the Grammy nominees this year & I was a little dissapointed...the only one I thought was pretty cool to be nominated for a Grammy was Morphine (who played with TMBG back in 1996 for all of those who were at the Hatch Shell), & so I'm telling everyone I know to go to www.Grammy.com & "Ask the Artist" & request that Morhpine play at the Grammys. One more thought on the Grammy's, the guy that does the "Tee's Mixes" was also nominated for a Grammy (although the S-E-X-X-Y (Tee's Radio Mix), was not among the list, it was still nice to see TMBG related artists nominated for a Grammy....) jason "capt. profanity" glastetter ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 16:03:31 -0700 Subject: TMBG: how the johns spent their valentines day... Message-ID: <19980217.160352.12854.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) hEY HEy! was anyone on the list at the giants loser lounge performance on valentines day? apparently they showed up at fez's for the Zombies tribute... i hear they just whipped out the accordion from the back and started playing... anyone know what song it was that they played? (if you tell me they played either "you make me feel so good" or "she's not there" i'm gonna cry...two of the best zombies songs ever...i listen to that 7" constantly...) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ***follow the link to see what lies ahead!*** _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 18:57:03 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Semi-TMBG: 2-21-97 Irving Plaza I still have several copies of this IPCD thing... if you want one please mail me. Thanks, -ec ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 21:48:03 -0500 (EST) From: "Big Sean ( Nancy McGrath )" Subject: TMBG: TMBG surprise guest appearance Message-ID: On Valentine's Day, They Might Be Giants put in a special surprise guest appearance at the "Loser's Lounge Tribute to the Zombies" at the Fez in NYC. Loser's Lounge is a several-times-yearly musical event that spotlights an artist (Beach Boys, Elton John, Henry Mancini) or theme (famous duets) and features several dozen talented downtown musicians backed by an equally talented back-up singers and band (the Kustard Kings). This weekend, a Loser's Lounge concert was held Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. On Saturday, event founder/organizer Joe McGinty pretended to get confused as the artist due up on stage for the next song did not appear as expected. Instead, the Johns slipped into the back of the very crowded room and burst into song. Flansburgh sang lead on "The Butcher's Tale," projecting throughout the hushed room with no microphone. His only accompaniment was Linnell on accordion. The two wandered around the room as they performed. On several occasions, they each stood right next to where I was sitting; wehat a thrill to see them perform within less than an arm's distance!! Unfortunately, this also made it difficult for me to take photos. (We'll see how I did when I get them back...) This is not the first time TMBG has made a surprise appearance at a Loser's Lounge event. Most recently, Flansburgh performed at the Friday show of the Dusty Springfield tribute last Halloween. Flansburgh also appeared at a Bottom Line Christmas show hosted by Sean Altman, where he was backed by Altman's GrooveBarbers on an a cappella version of his (Flansburgh's) "Secret Santa." (Altman is also a regular Loser's Lounge performer.) The next Loser's Lounge, a tribute to the post-Beatles Paul McCartney, is expected to be held in May. Anyone who's interested in attending can call the Fez (212/533-2680) or check Sean Altman's web page (http://www.bigsean.com) for information. Ya never know when a John or two might show up... Nancy McGrath ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Nancy McGrath / nancy@bigsean.com Visit Sean Altman's Seanosphere at http://www.bigsean.com! ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 21:34:58 -0800 (PST) From: Kerry Biggs Subject: TMBG: sales figures / music video debate Message-ID: > From: "Charles Hodges" > Subject: TMBG: Misc T > > 2) does anyone know where I can find sales numbers for TMBg? i'm very > curious as to how well (or not) They selL. Flood went gold (more than 500,000 copies in the US). Sales figures are generally not released to the public, but the record industry does release figures on what albums go gold, platinum (more than 1,000,000 copies) and muilti-platinum (multiples of 1,000,000). No other albums have hit gold. John Henry was actually shipped "gold" (meaning 500,000 copies were initially shipped for sale) in anticipation of high sales, and the impression I've got is that it didn't even sell half of that, which I think is one serious reason why Elektra didn't give them money to do a video for Factory Showroom (more on that later), the next time around, and basically cancelled the b-sides project. I think Elektra really took a dive on that one. Some guesswork can be made that the Elektra albums sold better than the Bar/None-Restless albums, because of Elektra's major label status and larger distribution capabilities. > Subject: TMBG: music video debate > From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) > > guess what? there is a point to all of this.... i want some > opinions on what everyone thinks the johns POV is on the whole music > video situation is... > obviously, they too, did not make any videos for their latest lp > release (Factory Showroom) and in the birdhouse video (i think...) they > have people marching around with the signs that say something along the > lines of "stop rock videos" (sorry, it's been a while since i've seen it > and i'm waaay to lazy to go through the ultimate video collection and > watch it) I believe the "Stop Rock Video" thing was done purely as a joke. Both the Birdhouse video and the Istanbul video were completely inane (insane, etc)... they're also really entertaining to watch. I don't really think what you said about Joe Jackson really has any correlation to TMBG's situation. The reason there was no video for Factory Showroom is that Elektra refused to give them money to do one. I remember hearing that they were not too happy about this. > if it weren't for the fact that john flansburgh directs videos i > would say that they were in the same boat as Joe Jackson... Right, like you said, Flans appears to be a big video buff. He's directed videos for Frank Black (2 of them, actually), Soul Coughing, and Edwyn Collins and possibly even more. Anyway, my whole take on the video thing is that I personally think videos are great. People have to remember that there's a major difference between making a video, and kissing ass to get it onto MTV, with extra ass required to get it into rotation. Kerry ------------------------------ From: ABJARI@aol.com Message-ID: <210cd651.34ea7741@aol.com> Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 00:53:03 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: sales figures / music video debate In a message dated 98-02-18 00:38:54 EST, murmur@teleport.com writes: << John Henry was actually shipped "gold" (meaning 500,000 copies were initially shipped for sale) in anticipation of high sales, and the impression I've got is that it didn't even sell half of that >> hm. is Their popularity waning at all? for one it seems we're seeing quite a bit more flans than linnell, lately, and not all having to do with They. sirjay ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-413 ******************************