Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-420 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 420 Thursday, 26 February 1998 Today's Topics: Re:TMBG: accordion junk Re: TMBG: accordion junk Re: TMBG: accordion junk TMBG: Videos and such TMBG: Soul Coughing TMBG: Spreading the love of Them :) Re: TMBG: Soul Coughing TMBG: SB 3 Semi-TMBG: Ambassadors Re: TMBG: Soul Coughing Re: SemiTMBG: Maine Re: SemiTMBG: Maine TMBG: accordionating for fun and profit! TMBG: Re: tmbg-mystical powers Re: TMBG: SB 3, accordion chords Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980225083055.00690d30@pop.indy.net> Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 08:30:55 -0500 From: rachel Subject: Re:TMBG: accordion junk >To keep things slightly TMBG related: does anyone know of a good site to get >accordian cords to some of Their songs? I just got my accordian the other day >and all I can play right now is Subliminal and Istanbul. > >Thanks, >Ryan "Tintin" Leach > > heh heh, i posted the same message on the news group about 4 months ago and recived a reply much like this one. i'm pretty sure tmbg accordian cords are non-existiant- unless someone is hoarding them somewhere. i got my boyfriend an accordion for christmas and subliminal is pretty much all he can play too. well, also the fact that he doesn't know how to the play the keyboard in the first place could complicate things. but if *you* happen to find any (as if by some odd occurance) let me know will ya. and all you listies out there better hand over your stock plies of accordion chords...i know you have them and you're just not telling me! lovies, rachel ------------------------------ From: ABJARI@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 08:47:15 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: accordion junk In a message dated 98-02-25 08:33:01 EST, eck@indy.net writes: << but if *you* happen to find any (as if by some odd occurance) let me know will ya. and all you listies out there better hand over your stock plies of accordion chords...i know you have them and you're just not telling me! >> i'm fairly sure songs like kiss me, son of god have been accurately transcribed into guitar chords via tmbg.org's chord library; with a bit of theoretical knowledge and preserverence it shouldn't be too difficult to use that to help figure stuff out. sirjay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34F4629E.2E8C@qlink.queensu.ca> Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 10:27:42 -0800 From: The Puppet Head <4nk1@qlink.queensu.ca> Organization: Queen's University Subject: Re: TMBG: accordion junk My housemate plays accordian, and all he uses are the guitar chords that I scribble out. He already knows how to play the piano, and so he just improvises on the accordian. He was taught some technique by the accordian player for Night Sun, but the rest he just makes up. This has worked well for our jam sessions and performances, and has made "subliminal" and "dead" two of our favourite covers. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <01BD41C8.0B0E67C0@s116b.rcn.nmt.edu> From: Refund Subject: TMBG: Videos and such Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 08:33:23 -0700 Ok...I've checked out a few places on the web, but I can't find anywhere that has complete TMBG music videos. I have decided to give up my quest, replacing it, instead, with a different quest. I know there have got to be at least a few of you out there who have a video compilation or something...but would any of you be willing to dub it for me? Yes, I mean dubbing it onto another VHS tape. If you can do this, please email me privately...I think I've done enough to spam this list lately. Thank you for your support. TMBG ambassador to New Mexico, Refund. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 10:42:10 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <199802251542.KAA11882@ussenterprise.ufp.org> From: The Denominator Subject: TMBG: Soul Coughing Hey, I LOVE soul coughing... I got their second album "Irresistable Bliss" first, and i like it a lot more than "Ruby Vroom", but i think both are worth having... they're a lot different from Them, kinda bass-heavy (standup bass tho, its really sweet) and tend to repeat themselves to the point of near annoyance at times... but they are definitely unique, and lyrically they're about as non-sequitor as some of the giants stuff... Anyway, thats my plug... on another note, i have always not been very interested in Mono Puff... but i bought their album the other day and it is better than i thought... i cant stand Dont Break the Heart and Dont I have The Right, but the rest of the songs are great, and have a completely different soudn than TMBG... my horizons are expanding.... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980225155454.12640.rocketmail@send1b.yahoomail.com> Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 07:54:54 -0800 (PST) From: Ethuilcalen Subject: TMBG: Spreading the love of Them :) *de-lurk* Hiya guys! (and gals, just to be *gasp! the horrors!!* PC) I am on the newspaper staff here at UWG, and the A&E editors asked me to do a review of a website, preferably having to deal with arts or entertainment ;) Naturally, I picked the two TMBG sites (official and non) to do it on...a copy of the article follows :) It is time to shake the paw of destiny and meet the band They Might Be Giants (TMBG). This band combines covers of songs other bands have done, like the Allman Brothers Band's 'Jessica,' along with catchy harmonies, and with their original songs, strange lyrics that often make sense (Hey NyQuil Driver..get out my lane, get out my way!) Online, there are two cool TMBG sites. One, at http://www.tmbg.org is the 'Unofficial TMBG Site." This one, in my opinion, is more fun than the Official TMBG site at http://www.tmbg.com. The unofficial site has a trivia game to test your knowledge of the band, John Flansburgh and John Linnell (often referred to collectively as 'the Johns' on the mailing list), the songs that They have done, and guest singers on Their albums or just off the wall facts that you can find out by reading the liner notesincluded in the albums. As a TMBG fan myself, I found out that there's a lot I don't know about Them. There is also cover art trivia, where a picture of one of the covers from any on of the albums, the singles, the solo projects, -anything- that TMBG has done will appear there. The unoffical site also has a Shockwave coloring book, and a 'Dress the Flans Doll'. The Official TMBG site is the place to go to get discographies, lyrics, and merchandise, along with tour updates, song downloads, two video downloads, and anagrams of the words 'They Might Be Giants' like The Big Steamy Thing. The Johns also wrote updates of what they are doing bandwise and post them on the website. They also have the Dial-A-Song song of the week (still free when you call from work!) available for download. -------- So, how was it? I hope I didn't screw it up too badly :P Ethuilcalen, the Official Cerulean Blue Wierdo Ambassador to Georgia ;P == The Quote of the Day Brought to you by the Cerulean Blue Wierdo: "There is no such thing as too much sugar." --John Travolta, 'Michael' "Dubity-dubity-dubity-du! Du-du-du-du-du-*oink*! Thank you!" _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 12:03:48 -0600 (CST) From: "Christopher M. Stangl" Subject: Re: TMBG: Soul Coughing Message-ID: On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, The Denominator wrote: > Hey, I LOVE soul coughing... I got their second album "Irresistable Bliss" > first, and i like it a lot more than "Ruby Vroom", I don't. I love them both equally. Soul Coughing doesn't have the ability to write a bad song. It's a rare, rare band that can make such a claim. In fact, except for Talking Heads, I can't think of another! > but i think both are worth having... they're a lot different from Them, > kinda bass-heavy (standup bass tho, its really sweet) and tend to repeat > themselves to the point of near annoyance at times... I demand examples. Perhaps you're referring to Doughty's Chant Poetry on stuff like "Bus To Beelzebub" or "Casiotone Nation". Hardly irritating. > but they are definitely unique, and lyrically they're about as > non-sequitor as some of the giants stuff... But Doughty has almost an opposite lyrical sensibility than Linnell. While Linnell's word magic comes through using as many puns and poetic-ironic devices as possible to obfuscate the subject, Doughty uses as few, precisely chosen words as possible to get a vivid picture across. -Chris Stangl ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <72c65e57.34f46f09@aol.com> Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 14:20:38 EST Subject: TMBG: SB 3 >> oh yeah... if you have a suggestion for the title let me know... so far people have suggested: 1. Stumpbox 3: blast your missive 2. Stumpbox 3: scream it out 3. Stumpbox 3: the ceaseless screaming << Hey for your list you forgot 11/21 People vs. Apes! :D I like "Ceaseless Screaming too. sarah http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980225112319.0069dac8@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 11:23:19 -0800 From: J Chen Subject: Semi-TMBG: Ambassadors Sarah wrote: >Since my foolish roomate doesn't read her digest often enough I elect >myself Grand-High TMBG Love Consulate of Southern California and the >Pacific Domains Hey, what? Well, all right... does that mean I get to be the Vice-Love Consulate? --The slow-moving LVJeff ==========================_______________________________________... . . . | from LVJeff | Kerim Bey: "But I am already in your debt." | friend to Lan's tigers | James Bond: "How can a friend be in debt?" | alecson@ucla.edu | ========================== - From Russia with Love ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980225201337.1593.rocketmail@send1b.yahoomail.com> Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 12:13:37 -0800 (PST) From: Amanda Nichols Subject: Re: TMBG: Soul Coughing > Hey, I LOVE soul coughing... I got their second album "Irresistable Bliss" > first, and i like it a lot more than "Ruby Vroom", but i think both are > worth having... they're a lot different from Them, kinda bass-heavy (standup > bass tho, its really sweet) and tend to repeat themselves to the point of > near annoyance at times... but they are definitely unique, and lyrically > they're about as non-sequitor as some of the giants stuff... Yes, I agree. Soul coughing tends to be an aquired taste, though. They;re not for everyone. Their **NEW** cd, El Oso, is scheduled for release in late August... > Anyway, thats my plug... on another note, i have always not been very > interested in Mono Puff... but i bought their album the other day and it is > better than i thought... i cant stand Dont Break the Heart and Dont I have > The Right, but the rest of the songs are great, and have a completely > different soudn than TMBG... my horizons are expanding.... If you ever get the chance, see the live. They're totally different than what's on "Unsupervised." More funk, bluesy things going on, as well as an old school DJ in the back. Or just hear their new CD in April. Wow, the world is full of new music, eh? Amanda == Boston's Ambassador of Love General Manager, WECB 99.9fm/640am Emerson College Business Phone: (617) 824-8850 _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980225202633.16908.rocketmail@send1c.yahoomail.com> Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 12:26:33 -0800 (PST) From: Amanda Nichols Subject: Re: SemiTMBG: Maine > Now that I'm TMBG Ambassador to Maine, I have decided to put to use my > new power. Of course with any good politician, I've already been involved > in many scandals which cannot be printed. But seriously....... I'm so proud of my brother... Such a fine member of society. Hey... we could be like the Kennedys, only we need our own accent. Hmmmmm... Amanda _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980225202633.16908.rocketmail@send1c.yahoomail.com> Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 12:26:33 -0800 (PST) From: Amanda Nichols Subject: Re: SemiTMBG: Maine > Now that I'm TMBG Ambassador to Maine, I have decided to put to use my > new power. Of course with any good politician, I've already been involved > in many scandals which cannot be printed. But seriously....... I'm so proud of my brother... Such a fine member of society. Hey... we could be like the Kennedys, only we need our own accent. Hmmmmm... Amanda _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 13:41:06 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: accordionating for fun and profit! Message-ID: > >To keep things slightly TMBG related: does anyone know of a good site to get > >accordian cords to some of Their songs? I just got my accordian the other > >day and all I can play right now is Subliminal and Istanbul. > > > >Thanks, > >Ryan "Tintin" Leach accordion chords are the same as guitar chords or piano chords. what kind of accordion is it? is it the kind with the buttons on the left hand side? if it is, there should be a button about halfway down that's dimpled in instead of out. this is your belly button. the accordion should also have a button that's dimpled in instead of out. this plays C. next button down plays F, and after that, Bb, Eb, Ab, Db, etc., etc. going up, it plays G, D, A, E, B, F#, etc... they're arranged in a circle of fifths. put your hand back on the C button. move your finger to the right (toward the inside). this should play an E. it will also be a little below, due to the slanting of the rows, but i'll just call it 'right' to keep it simple. move off to the left, and it should play a C major chord. keep going: C minor, C dominant 7th, C diminished 7th. you now have the ability to play all the simple chords that you might find in tmbg songs. for a song with more complex chords, such as 'stormy pinkness', which has those beautiful major 7ths, you have a few options: 1) figure out combinations of buttons that would give you the chord in question (for example, a C button with a C major button and a G major button will give you a C major 9th). i for one have not been able to remember these combinations while i'm actually playing. instead, i usually: 2) fake it with the right hand. for the C major 9th, for example, i would just play the C major in the left hand, and fill in the major 7th (B) and 9th (D) with the right hand. 3) a third option is to just play simpler chords. for instance, i just looked at the stormy pinkness chords at tmbg.org, and i noticed that they just have simple chords. these will get you by in a pinch, but they definitely lose something. i hope this helps! --jim kuemmerle, running on a platform of balancing the budget rent-a-car and reducing the attention deficit disorder by 2008... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980225234548.00696900@pop.kent.edu> Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 23:45:48 -0500 From: Davin Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-mystical powers Ok, maybe it's just me but... Has anyone ever spilled some really nasty stuff on their TMBG shirt(s)? I spilled Grape juice on one and *poof!* it came outta the worsh without stain! I also spilled Vicks 44 on another and it came out too! Is it because the Johns personally Scotch-Guard every shirt before they are sold? -Me ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34F4FA3B.18E0@rica.net> Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 00:14:35 -0500 From: Joey Groah Subject: Re: TMBG: SB 3, accordion chords KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > > >> > oh yeah... if you have a suggestion for the title let me know... so far > > people have suggested: > > 1. Stumpbox 3: blast your missive > > 2. Stumpbox 3: scream it out > > 3. Stumpbox 3: the ceaseless screaming > << > > Hey for your list you forgot 11/21 People vs. Apes! :D I like "Ceaseless > Screaming too. I also like Ceaseless Screaming. How about 1) Precious and Few 2) Apeapalooza 3) Apes and Such 4) Rock Rock Rockin' Roll High School 5) The Mike Leffel Tribute Album re: Jim K.'s accordion lesson: Check's in the mail for the first installment of "Music Secrets: Revealed!", Jim. Thanks to all those muscially inclined types helping recorer guys like me move beyond 'Hot Cross Buns.' Joey, one Bacon degree from Corey Feldman. Let's see Jim "Buckaroo Banzai" Kuemmerle beat that. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-420 ******************************