Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #4-424 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 4, Number 424 Monday, 2 March 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ TMBG: mostly non-tmbG TMBG: non-tmbG: my apologieS TMBG: TMBG-List webpage buttons! Re: TMBG: mostly non-tmbG TMBG: new TMBG album TMBG: TMBG In Florida:St. Pete:Janis Re: TMBG: new TMBG album Re: TMBG: mostly non-tmbG Re: TMBG: new TMBG album TMBG: even more tour dates TMBG: Giant Movies TMBG: New mp3s up and stuff Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 1 Mar 1998 03:15:00 -0500 (EST) From: Majordomo Message-Id: <199803010815.DAA28141@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT When you send a message to the list you are sending messages to hundreds of people. Make sure that your message is one that hundreds of people need to read. Do not send "me too" messages to the list. Do not send messages about non-tmbg topics to the list. Hold private conversations in private e-mail. Sending messages that the list administrator deems off topic will result in your being removed from the list. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980301132609.7668.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Charles Hodges" Subject: TMBG: mostly non-tmbG Date: Sun, 01 Mar 1998 05:26:07 PST was out of town for carnaval (known to you as mardi graS. it's a really big party herE. the whole country stops for a weeK.) so i just got caught up on my e-maiL. once again, if some of the references are stale, please bear with me (or just skip the rest of this e-maiL... whateveR) 1) as official ambassador of recife and (until i have competition) of all brazil and (should i be so darinG?) south americA... no, i don't speak spanish, so i'll leave the rest of south america to the next takeR... well, so, ambassador of braziL. i want my free harmonicA 2) where can i download a program with which i can play mp3'S? how does this worK? somebody tried explaining it to me, yet they were sadly unsuccessfuL. the freer the betteR 3) i really dig soul coughing, but i'll still stick with "ruby vrooM." i love every song on it, especially "true dreams of wichita" and "uh zoom zip" (which is a great song title, toO) 4) philby, what are you, some sort of freak or somehtinG? 5) if i may be so daring (considering what a newbie i still am, and how ignorant in the subject matter i'm about to get intO...) i'd like to humbly suggest a threaD: which songs do we think tmbg should cover on an albuM? my personal vote goes to the song about abraham lincoln in that movie "holiday inN" (i think that's the name of the filM. it's the same one that has "white christmaS" in iT). it's as tmbgish a song as i have ever seen, not being written by either of the johns (although it may have been written by another johN...) it's a historical song, like "james k. polk" and a song featured in a movie, like "we've got a world that swingS" well, for what it's worth, there're my two cents (they're sure not worth two cents, thougH) HW (r) aka platybuS aka enjauladO, who, speaking of covers, would like to see ben folds five (even though i've never heard them, but have heard much about theM) do a loung cover of nine inch nails' "happiness in slaverY" ---------- cd listened to while composing this missive: the velvet underground's "peel slowly and see" disc 2 (the best onE) "be like your ancestors or be differenT. it doesn't matteR." - devO ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980301133729.16223.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Charles Hodges" Subject: TMBG: non-tmbG: my apologieS Date: Sun, 01 Mar 1998 05:37:29 PST sorry about the repeat, peoplE. i got some message saying it hadn't been received or whatever, then i looked at the digest, and there it waS! and so, to make up for my error, i send this other useless e-maiL... well, at least i'll keep it shorT HW (r) aka platybuS aka enjauladO aka official tmbg ambassador to braziL who, since he's making apologies anyways, apologizes for the heresy committed in his second e-mail, where he misspelled mike "jesus christ" leffel's namE ---------- cd listened to: the velvet underground's "peel slowly and see" disc 2 last movie seen: o que e isso companheirO? (known as "seven days in septembeR" to yoU) "i dreamt that one had dieD / in a strange placE" - his name is alivE ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: <979b928.34f9661b@aol.com> Date: Sun, 1 Mar 1998 08:43:53 EST Subject: TMBG: TMBG-List webpage buttons! Hey youze.. I was updating my page and got a little gif button from a mailing list site for the Sarah McLachlan list... I was wondering if there are any buttons like that for our list..? Well, whether there are or not, I think I'll be making some today. ^_^ sarah.. http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: ABJARI Message-ID: Date: Sun, 1 Mar 1998 11:31:03 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: mostly non-tmbG In a message dated 98-03-01 08:27:12 EST, hw_r@hotmail.com writes: << i want my free harmonicA >> perhaps next election--i don't believe i was voted into office, this time around. i think they're going for a more communal, leaderless government for now. unfortunately. but when i live in the blue thing ... free harmonicas for everyone! really long diatonic ones, too. sirjay ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Sun, 1 Mar 1998 11:29:04 -0500 Subject: TMBG: new TMBG album Message-ID: <19980301.113132.10198.1.gray42@juno.com> does anyone know the name of the new They album that's comming out in a couple of weeks? I've just gotten my computer back after a break between Christmas and the present time, so I have no idea what's going on in the world of TMBG. Mysterio Gal "They've Garble Warble Fashes" --Slartibartfast gray42@juno.com _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Sun, 1 Mar 1998 11:23:34 -0500 Subject: TMBG: TMBG In Florida:St. Pete:Janis Message-ID: <19980301.113132.10198.0.gray42@juno.com> Does anyone know any information about this upcomming concert in Florida. All I know is that it's in Janis but I have no idea about the specific day. I missed the last St. Pete concert and I'll never forgive myself for that. Thanx to anyone who helps this Floridian out : ^ ) Mysterio Gal "They've Garble Warble Fashes" --Slartibartfast _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: ABJARI Message-ID: <50552bb.34f9907b@aol.com> Date: Sun, 1 Mar 1998 11:44:33 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: new TMBG album In a message dated 98-03-01 11:41:36 EST, gray42@juno.com writes: << does anyone know the name of the new They album that's comming out in a couple of weeks? >> i can't know for sure, as we've been bombarded with many conflicting rumors--but i'm almost certain it will be more than a few weeks before the new album is released. if i'm wrong, though, i'm certainly a happy man... i have my hopes on april, but someone did bring up a compelling argument for this fall. sirjay ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 1 Mar 1998 09:15:59 -0800 (PST) From: "E. Fjellanger" Subject: Re: TMBG: mostly non-tmbG Message-ID: For .mp3 playing, there's nothing better (that I've seen) than Winamp. This program rules. Go to www.winamp.com. This program is shareware, and it's one of the only 3 shareware programs I've ever thought about actually buying. In conclusion: This program rules. Eric Fjellanger That's all I can think of, but I'm sure there's something else... On Sun, 1 Mar 1998, Charles Hodges wrote: > was out of town for carnaval (known to you as mardi graS. it's a really > big party herE. the whole country stops for a weeK.) so i just got > caught up on my e-maiL. once again, if some of the references are > stale, please bear with me (or just skip the rest of this e-maiL... > whateveR) > > 1) as official ambassador of recife and (until i have competition) of > all brazil and (should i be so darinG?) south americA... no, i don't > speak spanish, so i'll leave the rest of south america to the next > takeR... well, so, ambassador of braziL. i want my free harmonicA > > 2) where can i download a program with which i can play mp3'S? how does > this worK? somebody tried explaining it to me, yet they were sadly > unsuccessfuL. the freer the betteR > > 3) i really dig soul coughing, but i'll still stick with "ruby vrooM." > i love every song on it, especially "true dreams of wichita" and "uh > zoom zip" (which is a great song title, toO) > > 4) philby, what are you, some sort of freak or somehtinG? > > 5) if i may be so daring (considering what a newbie i still am, and how > ignorant in the subject matter i'm about to get intO...) i'd like to > humbly suggest a threaD: which songs do we think tmbg should cover on an > albuM? my personal vote goes to the song about abraham lincoln in that > movie "holiday inN" (i think that's the name of the filM. it's the same > one that has "white christmaS" in iT). it's as tmbgish a song as i have > ever seen, not being written by either of the johns (although it may > have been written by another johN...) it's a historical song, like > "james k. polk" and a song featured in a movie, like "we've got a world > that swingS" well, for what it's worth, there're my two cents (they're > sure not worth two cents, thougH) > > HW (r) aka platybuS aka enjauladO, who, speaking of covers, would like > to see ben folds five (even though i've never heard them, but have heard > much about theM) do a loung cover of nine inch nails' "happiness in > slaverY" > > ---------- > cd listened to while composing this missive: the velvet underground's > "peel slowly and see" disc 2 (the best onE) > "be like your ancestors or be differenT. it doesn't matteR." - devO > > > > ______________________________________________________ > Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com > ------------------------------ From: Dr Worm X Message-ID: Date: Sun, 1 Mar 1998 19:50:13 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: new TMBG album if it's not the live album you're talking about, then... I heard a few months back a possible title of "The Great Indoors", but who knows? Matt Turn around, turn around, it's a human skull on the ground You're so 1990, and it's 1994 The squirrels and the birds come, gather round to sing the guitar http://members.tripod.com/~drworm (SIGN MY GUESTBOOK!) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34FA2B28.C3679F8@ibm.net> Date: Sun, 01 Mar 1998 22:44:43 -0500 From: Robyn Miller Subject: TMBG: even more tour dates I found these little nuggets of joy at www.wilma.com . I didn't see some of these shows mentioned on the list before, so I thought I would post 'em. I hope their correct! 03/23/98 Gainesville, FL Florida Theatre 03/24/98 Jacksonville, FL Club 5 03/25/98 St. Petersburg, FL Jannus Landing 03/26/98 Orlando, FL Embassy 03/27/98 Boston, MA Avalon 03/28/98 Troy, NY Rensselaer Poly Institute 04/03/98 Worcester, MA Knellar Athletic Center 04/16/98 New Haven, CT Toad's Place 04/17/98 Washington, DC Catholic University of America 04/19/98 Buckhannon, WV Rockefeller Center Hope to see you guys at some of these shows!! -Robyn- ------------------------------ From: Shaft137 Message-ID: <3463eb42.34fa305c@aol.com> Date: Sun, 1 Mar 1998 23:06:50 EST Subject: TMBG: Giant Movies hi. just wondering if there is a page similar to the dial-a-song index on the official site that has all the giant cam mov's. that is if there are any others. adam schaaf, who's not a real doctor, but will remove, tuck or mend anything for the right price. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 01:07:16 -0500 (EST) From: Jish Subject: TMBG: New mp3s up and stuff Message-ID: Hey Hey Hey, Jish here....I put up a couple new mp3s from the Irving Plaza CDs and my IRC page has been updated since I last posted...so check it out The mp3s are on the special offer page http://tmbg.res.cmu.edu/ Jishywa ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #4-424 ******************************