Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #4-432 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 4, Number 432 Tuesday, 10 March 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: 2xDong, travel, CDs TMBG: I need some help... TMBG: more mondegreens Re: TMBG: this battle station is fully operational!! Non-TMBG: FYI - Why They're Called Mondegreens TMBG: info on CUA show 4/17 Re: TMBG:ani/ 120 minutes TMBG: can you tell me how to get, how to get to, uh... CUA?? NON-TMBG: Echelon Re: TMBG: can you tell me how to get, how to get to, uh... CUA?? Re: NON-TMBG: Echelon TMBG: Info on the Catholic U. show, 4/17... Re: TMBG: Info on the Catholic U. show, 4/17... TMBG: New full songs up! Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: NitpickR Message-ID: <398c9836.35039c81@aol.com> Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 02:38:38 EST Subject: TMBG: 2xDong, travel, CDs Hello 41- Double Dong- I saw them. I didn't really like them. Now, they're on tour with TMBG. This has to be a message of some kind. The only one I can think of (This'll probably start lots of controversy, and people not liking me or something) that both John and John, since they are married, are now becommming sexually active. Or maybe that's the message they want to give kids. Either way, it's interesting. Maybe they're trying to scare us. Maybe they want people to show up for the opening act. I have no idea. Travel- Orlando to Boston is too far to make it in one day. My guess is that they're going to fly their stuff for the southern part of the tour, and fly back when it's done. CDs- I can't get any of the stupid websites to work, or come up with TMBG stuff for me. I'm not sure who's fault it is, but I'll blame it on myself. Adam ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 02:17:57 -0600 (GMT-0600) From: Amy Greenlese Subject: TMBG: I need some help... Message-ID: Well, even a brain that houses so much useless knowledge as mine needs a kick-start once in a while. I've been trying all evening to get this page in order, and I need some help remembering the ORIGINAL lines that go with these misheard ones - all I'm hearing now is a jumble of 50 or so TMBG songs :) - You're a weasel overcome with Dew/ gloom/ glee - harpen that antenna like a weapon... wipe it in the sh't i like to step in. take the point and put it here, wheres its soft behind my ear and shove it in my lizard brain - put down that sofa - Every movement false every Ford is once again - It's not necessary to breed - The phone it called to me I know I will feel really stupid after you all tell me what song goes with what line...so I'll just get my embarrassment out of the way now, so I don't have to go through it later. Thanks in advance for the help :) **************** Amy Greenlese :) Music Educator Extraordinare http://www2.onu.edu/~stu1336 Q: How many surrealists does it take to screw in a lightbulb? A: Two. One to hold the giraffe, and one to fill the bathtub with brightly coloured machine tools. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3503F8B7.120F@rica.net> Date: Mon, 09 Mar 1998 09:12:07 -0500 From: Joey Groah Subject: TMBG: more mondegreens I always thought Flans was singing "Little Girl" on 'I Palindrome I'. A friend of mine always sang 'Dirt Bike' "And I hear they're over with sophomore chicks so you had better check them out." Joey, has seen a 'Simpsons' guest voice in person and plans to do so again ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 10:07:25 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: this battle station is fully operational!! Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 8-Mar-98 TMBG: this battle station i.. by J Kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.ed > already, there are two posts up: one for the orlando show on the 26th, and > one for the cmu show on 4/17. uh, just to correct this, they played here in November. They are *NOT* playing here in April. surely you mean Catholic University in DC, which is where they are playing on 4/17. (4/17 actually is during our spring carnival, and I wanted to see TMBG at carnival but they got them to play here in the fall instead...) Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Everything sticks until it goes away, * This space inadvertently And the truth is we don't know anything." -TMBG * left blank. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980309090408.006a7a8c@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Mon, 09 Mar 1998 09:04:08 -0800 From: J Chen Subject: Non-TMBG: FYI - Why They're Called Mondegreens "Charles Hodges" inquired: >3) concerning mondegreens (where'd that name come from anywayS?) There's a funny page about mondegreens at: http://www.sfgate.com/columnists/carroll/mondegreens.shtml Here's an excerpt from it: >For those of you who have not yet received the pamphlet (mailed free to >anyone who buys me an automobile), the word Mondegreen, meaning a >mishearing of a popular phrase or song lyric, was coined by the writer Sylvia >Wright. > >As a child she had heard the Scottish ballad "The Bonny Earl of Murray" and >had believed that one stanza went like this: > > Ye Highlands and Ye Lowlands > Oh where hae you been? > They hae slay the Earl of Murray, > And Lady Mondegreen. > >Poor Lady Mondegreen, thought Sylvia Wright. A tragic heroine dying with >her liege; how poetic. When it turned out, some years later, that what they had >actually done was slay the Earl of Murray and lay him on the green, Wright >was so distraught by the sudden disappearance of her heroine that she >memorialized her with a neologism. As we have now seen, Lady Mondegreen has visited the Johns many times. --LVJeff ==========================_______________________________________... . . . | from LVJeff | Kerim Bey: "But I am already in your debt." | friend to Lan's tigers | James Bond: "How can a friend be in debt?" | alecson@ucla.edu | ========================== - From Russia with Love ------------------------------ From: mjames@khserver.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9803091756.AA00179@khserver.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: info on CUA show 4/17 Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 12:56:51 -0500 (EST) I got in touch with the guy who is organizing theTMBG show at Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C. This is the information he gave me: date: Friday, April 17 (no time yet) place: Defour Center, Catholic University of America price: $9 students $15 non-students or grad students Tickets will be on sale at the college and possibly Hecht's (not sure if it'll be a ticketmaster event, he said last years concert was not through tixbastards) He said most likely tix won't go on sale for a couple of weeks but to check the homepage (www.cua.org) or to call the info. desk (202-319-5200) in a few weeks as they don't know anything right now. REPEAT: don't call now, they don't know anything yet, check the homepage in a few weeks for updates. No word yet on if there will be an opening band and who it might be. I think CUA is in Northeast DC between Fort Totten and Union Station metro stops on the redline. I know it has its own metro stop and since it's a college show my guess is that it'll end before the metro stops running (which is generally around midnight although that varies from stop to stop). Oh, the guy sounded pretty cool, he said he had seen Them in St. Louis and was psyched to see them again and thought it'd be a great show. More info later! Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980309142306.00699188@pop.indy.net> Date: Mon, 09 Mar 1998 14:23:06 -0500 From: rachel Subject: Re: TMBG:ani/ 120 minutes But I >find my priorities in completing my Sarah McLachlan and Ani DiFranco >collections.:) > ha ha! me too. i thought about getting the 120 minutes thingy but i really need more ani cds. (This'll probably start lots of controversy, and people not liking me or >something) that both John and John, since they are married, are now becommming >sexually active. i for one, although i do love them dearly, prefer not to think about the johns' sexuality. or lack there of. :) but hey (since you brought it up) what makes you think they were not sexually active before they were married? lovies, rachel, who is halting further discussion of this topic in the name of the johns and their right to (well, at least a little bit of) privacy from nosey listies ;) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 13:12:02 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: can you tell me how to get, how to get to, uh... CUA?? Message-ID: On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, Matthew James wrote: > I think CUA is in Northeast DC between Fort Totten and Union Station > metro stops on the redline. it's been a while since i've used the metro, but that sounds right -- i know it's definitely on the red line, and that it's definitely before union station, coming from the silver spring end of things. --jim kuemmerle, who worked in bethesda a couple of summers ago... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu SKULL MOUNTAIN: we'll meet at the end of the tour... http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/skullmountain.html ------------------------------ From: WeirdGiant Message-ID: <7326a64f.35045224@aol.com> Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 15:33:38 EST Subject: NON-TMBG: Echelon Hey folks, Anyone ever heard of the band Echelon? Probably not, but let me know if you have. I saw them at a youth retreat last weekend and thought they were awesome, so I picked up their new CD. And those who haven't heard of them might want to check em out. You'll have to look in the Christian Rock section (if your local music store even has one) Catchya later, Ryan "Tintin" Leach ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 09 Mar 1998 15:37:07 -0500 (EST) From: Melanie Kummer Subject: Re: TMBG: can you tell me how to get, how to get to, uh... CUA?? Message-id: <01IUGUBHL7TE9YGDYZ@XAVIER.XU.EDU> >> I think CUA is in Northeast DC between Fort Totten and Union Station >> metro stops on the redline. > >it's been a while since i've used the metro, but that sounds right -- i >know it's definitely on the red line, and that it's definitely before >union station, coming from the silver spring end of things. > >--jim kuemmerle, who worked in bethesda a couple of summers ago... I was in DC back in January and visited a friend at CUA. They have their own stop on the red line. Melanie :) ***************************************************************************** Melanie Kummer | "Stand on your own head KUMMER@xavier.xu.edu | for a change." kummer@cerebro.xu.edu | 507726@xavier.xu.edu | - They Might Be Giants ***************************************************************************** http://xavier.xu.edu/~kummer/index.html ------------------------------ From: cory@illusion.at-data.ns.ca Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 16:46:39 -0400 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Echelon Message-Id: <9803091646402200@illusion.at-data.ns.ca> > Anyone ever heard of the band Echelon? Probably not, but let me know if you > have. I saw them at a youth retreat last weekend and thought they were > awesome, so I picked up their new CD. And those who haven't heard of them > might want to check em out. You'll have to look in the Christian Rock section > (if your local music store even has one) Yup, I know them fairly well, talked with them one afternoon until and after a concert i was helping out with. They are great :) If my memory serves me right, i think Hokus Pick was the main group by I liked Echelon just as much, if not more ;) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980309164342.006d06c8@pop.erols.com> Date: Mon, 09 Mar 1998 16:43:42 -0500 From: Christopher Spangler Subject: TMBG: Info on the Catholic U. show, 4/17... Greetings, all. Just got off the phone with the programs office at Catholic University. Got some sketchy info on the 4/17 show... **jim kuemmerle**...strongly suggest you change the name of the venue on your webpage to Catholic University...not Carnegie Mellon. Unless, of course, they're playing two shows in one night, separated by 200 miles. "It's just a full day's drive away..." Tickets will be general admission, $15. They're not on sale yet. They will be soon. No, I don't know. Stop asking me these questions. Courtney, the really nice chick at the programs office, couldn't tell me whether they will be sold by TicketMonster or only by the University. She did say that (a) they will likely be sold by some place down on duPont Circle, and (b) details will be forthcoming in an advertisement in the Washington City Paper. Call Courtney at 202-319-5291 and thank her for being so helpful. (Please don't call and ask her for more info...she doesn't have it yet, and it's not really her job to field hundreds of calls, anyway. I'll post it when I know.) If you're looking for more information, just let me know. I'm not a fount of knowledge, but I can probably help with accomodations and public transportation stuff for out-of-towners. I must declare, I am pissed...some dink band named Blond Redhead is playing the 9:30 Club on Saturday the 18th, when They could be onstage. Truly, the 9:30 Club was made for bands like They... Off-topic... is it just me, or is the animation in the "...Hotel Detective" video just the coolest thing on earth right now? I laughed, I cried...I laughed 'til I cried and my head fell off. --Chris "Fiona Apple: 'The Bitch Stood Me Up' Tour '98" Spangler... Fiona, honey. How much money have you got now? If your family is having problems, PAY FOR THEIR PSYCHOTHERAPY and stop cancelling tour dates for "immediate family problems." Dammit. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 15:49:13 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Info on the Catholic U. show, 4/17... Message-ID: On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, Christopher Spangler wrote: > **jim kuemmerle**...strongly suggest you change the name of the venue on > your webpage to Catholic University...not Carnegie Mellon. will do. i just haven't gotten to it yet. there is, you know, still another month... ;) i vaguely remember there being some sort of discussion earlier trying to clear this all up. however, i stopped paying attention to that dialogue because it had no relevance to me at the time. oh well. > Unless, of course, they're playing two shows in one night, separated by > 200 miles. "It's just a full day's drive away..." destination ohio? (by rocket to the show...) --jim kuemmerle, who's going to catch some shut-eye now... goodnight... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu SKULL MOUNTAIN: we'll meet at the end of the tour... http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/skullmountain.html ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 21:00:18 -0500 (EST) From: The Demonic Kangaroo Subject: TMBG: New full songs up! Message-ID: Hey, I just updated My sound page! Now featured are some full songs from the 3/24/95 show a the Horizontal Boogie Bar in Rochester, NY. They are: O Do Not Foresake Me - The rockin' fast version! Bill Cosby Mystery Theme - Is this really the theme from The Cosby Mysteries? I'm not sure.. Band intros - Some really cool solos! Stompbox - By request. Really cool! Your Racist Friend - O'Conner goes off on this one! She's An Angel - With an awesome intro! -Mike http://www.cybercomm.net/~tdk/tmbg.html ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #4-432 ******************************