Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #4-435 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 4, Number 435 Friday, 13 March 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: The Other Half of the USA TMBG: misc t : harlan's list of shows... TMBG: RE: the whole biopic thing TMBG: Birdhouse by any other name... TMBG: tMBg: I got one for you... Re: TMBG: I got one for you...+ Non TMBG-Da Vinci's Notebook TMBG: Lots of Misc. Stuff TMBG: tribute albums and a couple other sundries Re: TMBG: tMBg: I got one for you... Re: TMBG: Lots of Misc. Stuff Re: TMBG: tMBg: I got one for you... Re: TMBG: I got one for you... Re: TMBG: tMBg: I got one for you... Re: TMBG: tMBg: I got one for you... Re: TMBG: tMBg: I got one for you... TMBG: tribute Re: TMBG: tMBg: I got one for you... TMBG: tribute TMBG: Worcester TMBG: tMBg: I got one for you... TMBG: Update on shows Re: TMBG: tMBg: I got one for you... Re: TMBG: tMBg: I got one for you... Re: TMBG: tMBg: I got one for you... TMBG:Nightmare Re: TMBG: tMBg: I got one for you...:opposites Re: TMBG: tMBg: I got one for you...:opposites Re: TMBG: I got one for you...:opposites Re: TMBG:Nightmare Re: TMBG:Nightmare TMBG: Re: tmbg-Stuff Re: TMBG: Update on shows Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-Stuff TMBG: A Lurkers Dream... Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <3507C57E.F8537034@pacificnet.net> Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 03:22:44 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: The Other Half of the USA >They obviously know where Their fans are concentrated; remember how dead >the list was when the northeast was buried under a blizzard late last >year? If They're smart, They've also spent some time looking at fan >density versus ZIP codes from Their mailing list database. >kj There once was a TMBG survey page listing the what states we were all in. Unfortunately, it no longer exists but I seem to recall many of us being in the West. Every TMBG show I've been to here in California has been a sellout or close to it. John and John, why have thou forsaken us! We have fistfuls of cash just waiting to spend on your shows. Come 'n' get it! -B O N G O _____________________________________________ "When you go down to where you know don't forget what you don't know" -Geggy Tah ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 05:26:51 -0700 Subject: TMBG: misc t : harlan's list of shows... Message-ID: <19980312.052654.11134.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) > but is that the dreaded "Insect Hotel", or what. Finally, don't get too attached to that title... it's just one of those random names they gave it during one of their shows to freek the other band members.... and no, this album is a live album... >why is there no mention of Monopuff on the bar-none web page?? hehee... bo is slacking off!!! no, the bar-none page hasn't been updated in like a year... >Once again, They fail to notice that there is another half of >the United States. Summer, maybe? maybe they're just gonna wait until the album is released before they start venturing out to the rest of the US so they actually can promote their album with a lil bit better chance of people buying it... > They've also spent some time looking at fan >density versus ZIP codes from Their mailing list database. hmm... maybe all of us on the west coast should just give them every single one of our friends and relative's address' :) >If someone else has found additional tour dates at another >site, please let me know, I'm trying to keep a running list. > Happy Hunting! try tourdates.com... they're pretty up to date most of the time... anyways harlan don't you have a list of like every show they've done since like forever ago? what's the URL? take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ***Now, with...: punctuation - (for easy); reading!*** _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3507F5B4.F73B9255@iag.net> Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 09:48:20 -0500 From: John Lambert Subject: TMBG: RE: the whole biopic thing Definately AFTER the Oklahoma Flesh Fest... well before trading cards... probably about the same time as the whole BUTTKNOB thing. If I remember correctly. Brother John Green "I started the whole buttknob thing" Jello Lambert ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3507FAF4.321E@rica.net> Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 10:10:44 -0500 From: Joey Groah Subject: TMBG: Birdhouse by any other name... I was listening to a tape (thanks Jordan) of the Giants 11/29/94 Peak Lounge radio appearance where They opened with Subliminal and closed with Birdhouse. It sounded like They weren't sure what song to close with, and Linnell says something like "How about DM?" and then They break into Birdhouse. I THINK he says DM, which I thought was a role playing term. Maybe GM, but I just watched 'Roger and Me' again. He could be saying TM, connoting Birdhouse as the trademark TMBG song. I don't think it was BM, in honor of a Mike Leffel-style punchline. Does anyone know this secret TMBG code? Any other instances like this? Joey, spending his spring break serving dead animals to drunken hillbillies ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 09:32:48 -0700 (MST) From: jim Subject: TMBG: tMBg: I got one for you... Message-ID: how about a they MIGHT BE giants Tribute Album. It's all the rage now that you get other bands to collaborate on one album and do their favorite covers of some band's songs. I think Mighty Mighty Bostones could do a great cover of "Particle Man" and maybe Ziggy Marley could do a version of "She's Actual Size." "Yah Mon, She's actual size mon but she seems much bigger to me mon. She be jammin She be jammin." What other bands could you see on my dream they MIGHT BE giants Tribute Album? -jim ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980312123100.00958c70@mail.csrlink.net> Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 12:31:00 -0500 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: Re: TMBG: I got one for you...+ Non TMBG-Da Vinci's Notebook At 09:32 AM 3/12/98 -0700, you wrote: >how about a they MIGHT BE giants Tribute Album. It's all the rage now >that you get other bands to collaborate on one album and do their favorite >covers of some band's songs. I think Mighty Mighty Bostones could >do a great cover of "Particle Man" and maybe Ziggy Marley could do a >version of "She's Actual Size." "Yah Mon, She's actual size mon but she >seems much bigger to me mon. She be jammin She be jammin." What other >bands could you see on my dream they MIGHT BE giants Tribute Album? I'm not trying to squelch it or anything, cause it was darn good, but we actually already did this thread. That was sometime this summer, methinks if you wanna check the archive for that. On a rather unrelated note-Does anyone else have the Da Vinci's Notebook CD called Bendy's Law? You gotta, gotta get it. If you haven't heard already, it has DVN covering TMBG's Shoehorn With Teeth with Moxy Fruvous singing along. It is a cappella, but I think every single track is groovin, with the possible exception of the last one, a cover of the Micky Mouse Club theme. I ordered it from http://www.davincisnotebook.com, for a relativly cheap $16. The site itself is actually very good. Back to the CD itself, it also features some members of The Bobs, and a whole lotta of covers like (Sittin On) The Dock of the Bay, the aforementioned Shoehorn (At one point containing the lyrics "People should get beat up, for skating like the Leafs." All together now, big laugh from hockey fans everywhere.), I Dream of Jeanie Theme, With A Little Help From My Friends, etc. There's also several of their own songs like Liposuction, Traffic Jam and Window-Washing Cowboy. Dylan "Mike Leffel Started That Tribute Album Thread, As I Recall" Flipse ~ Dylan Flipse...one of them. - dflipse@csrlink.net Dylan's page is at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ for now. I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed -They Might Be Giants, the coolest thing this side of Zaphod Beeblebrox. ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot Message-ID: <52283061.35081d2b@aol.com> Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 12:36:40 EST Subject: TMBG: Lots of Misc. Stuff First of all, I shall soon be setting up an odd discography of TMBG stuff (it will include alist of all recorded live shows, audio and/or video, promo CDs, live CDs, etc.) Basically, it's like the other TMBG discographies I've seen except it's going to organized VERY nicely & it'll have that live show section...Don't expect miracles, it's a tough thing to do, but evenually (as in a couple of weeks to a month) it will be up at http://www.angelfire.com/ks/MisterHankie <~~~that's case sensative.... Also, for no apparent reason, I want to put a section on the page of ALL the instruments each John plays...I've been told Linnel can play 51 instruments...I want to figure out all 51...Email me with help on this. As for TMBG needing a plane to get from Orlando to Boston, they don't....as soon as they finish the show, they are hopping in the bus as fast & possible & falling asleep (while someone else is driving) & will make it to Boston on time! Besides, there's two Johns! Even if they don't have someone else drive, they can take shifts!!! (They should make Hal, Dan, etc. drive....the Johns need to Rest Awhile...) Finally, someone posted two tour dates in Worcester (4/3 at Clark U. & 4/4 at Knellar(sp?) Athletic Center)....I think there's only one show on 4/3, I may be wrong but I think Knellar is an athletic center in Clark U (that's just a guess, though).... jason "no middle name today" glastetter ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 10:37:23 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: tribute albums and a couple other sundries Message-ID: On Thu, 12 Mar 1998, jim wrote: > how about a they MIGHT BE giants Tribute Album. It's all the rage now > that you get other bands to collaborate on one album and do their favorite > covers of some band's songs. I think Mighty Mighty Bostones could > do a great cover of "Particle Man" and maybe Ziggy Marley could do a > version of "She's Actual Size." "Yah Mon, She's actual size mon but she > seems much bigger to me mon. She be jammin She be jammin." What other > bands could you see on my dream they MIGHT BE giants Tribute Album? i remember there was some discussion about this sometime last fall (after the Leffel Wars; i think it was november) but i don't think it was ever collected. some of the ones i remember off the top of my head were: pete townshend -- i'm def santana -- absolutely bill's mood (with extended percussion break) morphine -- absolutely bill's mood (with mark sandman singing 'i'm insane, i'm insane' as if he was trying to get some woman into bed) that's all i can think of right now. on second thought, i think perhaps santana should cover 'siftin' instead (with extended percussion break). and how about mary lou lord doing 'i blame you'? or ben folds (solo, without the 'five') doing 'dead'? also, i would wonder if maybe the mighty mighty bosstones wouldn't do a better job with 'movin to the sun'... ah! cornershop doing 'your racist friend'!! THAT's it!! :) ------- on another note (g#?) i have a couple of questions: (1) saying things like 'before the trading cards' and 'after the flesh fest' aren't terribly helpful to me because i wasn't there when those things were happening. does anybody know the DATE (i.e., month, year, etc.) of the previous discussion of biopic casting? also: (2) does anybody know the answer to jim montgomery's question yesterday about the elektra deal? --jim kuemmerle, who wonders if anybody knows how to make a keyword-based search engine for the list archives... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu SKULL MOUNTAIN: we'll meet at the end of the tour... http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/skullmountain.html ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980312131010.006a0f48@130.127.28.14> Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 13:10:10 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: tMBg: I got one for you... How about Bereft performing "Toddler Hiway", Joe & The Chickenheads performing "Absolutely Bill's Mood", Mailbox performing "Nightgown Of The Sullen Moon", and Hot Waffles performing "O Do Not Forsake Me"? -Adam At 09:32 AM 3/12/98 -0700, jim wrote: >how about a they MIGHT BE giants Tribute Album. It's all the rage now >that you get other bands to collaborate on one album and do their favorite >covers of some band's songs. I think Mighty Mighty Bostones could >do a great cover of "Particle Man" and maybe Ziggy Marley could do a >version of "She's Actual Size." "Yah Mon, She's actual size mon but she >seems much bigger to me mon. She be jammin She be jammin." What other >bands could you see on my dream they MIGHT BE giants Tribute Album? > >-jim > > > /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980312131351.006a519c@130.127.28.14> Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 13:13:51 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Lots of Misc. Stuff At 12:36 PM 3/12/98 EST, Happyfroot wrote: >First of all, I shall soon be setting up an odd discography of TMBG stuff (it >will include alist of all recorded live shows, audio and/or video, promo CDs, >live CDs, etc.) Basically, it's like the other TMBG discographies I've seen >except it's going to organized VERY nicely & it'll have that live show >section...Don't expect miracles, it's a tough thing to do, but evenually (as >in a couple of weeks to a month) it will be up at >http://www.angelfire.com/ks/MisterHankie <~~~that's case sensative.... Excellent idea! I don't believe there's a list of recorded live shows right now...although I've seen some lists of bootlegs people own that come pretty close. ;) I think John Relph's God-like discography is very good though, and you might not want to overlap in terms of material. -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 12:26:32 -0600 (CST) From: Kim Justice Subject: Re: TMBG: tMBg: I got one for you... Message-ID: Mormon Tabernacle Choir: Mammal Shonen Knife: Ana Ng Bette Midler: If I Wasn't Shy [any artist you dislike]: Number Three Kraftwerk: Be a Robot Bob Segar: We Want A Rock Paul McCartney: Dinner Bell Tool: Stompbox Tom Petty: The Big Big Whoredom Don Henley: Kiss Me, Son of God Kate Bush: Spiraling Shape kj -- justicek@edge.net (Kim Justice) | Draw the line dividing laugh and http://edge.edge.net/~justicek | scream. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 11:42:58 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: I got one for you... Message-ID: On Thu, 12 Mar 1998, Dylan Flipse wrote: > Dylan "Mike Leffel Started That Tribute Album Thread, As I Recall" Flipse nope -- it was AugieWan... which reminds me that the tribute album thread was immediately after the list became moderated again. i was still pretty annoyed with AugieWan at the time, so i didn't contribute to the thread for quite some time... --jim kuemmerle, who's over it now. j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu SKULL MOUNTAIN: we'll meet at the end of the tour... http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/skullmountain.html ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980312184248.429.rocketmail@send1c.yahoomail.com> Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 10:42:48 -0800 (PST) From: Amanda Nichols Subject: Re: TMBG: tMBg: I got one for you... > > how about a they MIGHT BE giants Tribute Album. I believe we talked about this over the summer, but what the hey, I'm game to restart this one.. Ben Folds Five - "Dinner Bell" (I almost said the Guitar, just to be a smarty) Soul Coughing- "Absolutely Bill's Mood" (If anyone could do it, they could) Moxy Fruvous- "The Bells are Ringing" Skeleton Key- "Ana Ng" (imagine THAT!) ...as always, more to come. Amanda == Boston's Ambassador of Love General Manager, WECB 99.9fm/640am Emerson College Business Phone: (617) 824-8850 _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 12 Mar 98 13:53 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: tMBg: I got one for you... Some of mine: Smashing Pumpkins - A Self Called Nowhere Wally Pleasant - If I Wasn't Shy Manhattan Transfer - Dinner Bell and Turn Around Harry Connick, Jr. - Lie Still, Little Bottle Kirsten (who will probably think of some even better ones in about five minutes..) -- |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| "Peggy, I'm tryin' to hold off an outbreak here, and you're drivin' the monkey to the airport!" - Hank Hill "King of the Hill )*(*)*(*)Kirsten Brodbeck*kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu*AKA Crow(*)*(*)*( ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 02:05:44 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: tMBg: I got one for you... Message-ID: <19980313.020656.4502.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> On Thu, 12 Mar 1998 13:10:10 -0500 Adam Tyner writes: >How about Bereft performing "Toddler Hiway", Joe & The Chickenheads >performing "Absolutely Bill's Mood", Mailbox performing "Nightgown Of >The >Sullen Moon", and Hot Waffles performing "O Do Not Forsake Me"? > >-Adam How about Hagfish doing Twistin?? or The Four Lads doing Istanbul! Or Cub doing NYC!!! I actually have a RA file of Hagfish doing twisting... I also have the URl... I have NO idea if it is still there, but check out: http://www.hagfish.com/hag/sounds/hs4.ra Tim, when he wants something and he doesn't wanna pay for IT! Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: Twising (Live) with accordian solo that goes... well.. uhh... I can't describe it... like he does on the 6-18 -94 Wolftrap show... Last CD purchase:SITFlowers/AKA Driver promo singles _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980312205838.25882.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Jason F." Subject: TMBG: tribute Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 12:58:37 PST How 'bout these: Weird Al - Everything Right Is Wrong Again (heck, he's got one that sounds just like it anyway...) Mighty Mighty Bosstones - No One Knows My Plan Morphine - She's An Angel Beck - S-E-X-X-Y J'son, who wishes They would come to Pittsburgh for a show you don't need a CMU student I.D. to get into ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 15:58:52 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: tMBg: I got one for you... Message-ID: <19980312.160519.6462.0.gray42@juno.com> How about- Crash Test Dummies- Window Devo (if that were possible)- A Self Called Nowhere, Fingertips M. Manson-Turn Around :P Ween-They Might Be Giants Tom Waites- Absolutely Bill's Mood just to name a couple ;) Mysterio Gal "They've Garble Warble Fashes" --Slartibartfast gray42@juno.com _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: BenMoobil Message-ID: Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 16:19:18 EST Subject: TMBG: tribute Wierd AL- Fingertips (all of fingertips) Ani DiFranco-Mammal Reel Big Fish-The Statue Got me High Pain-Ana Ng Tom Jones -Weep Day (hey what tribute album is a tribute album without TJ) Flaming Lips-Particle Man Brian Dewan-Chess Piece Face Squirrel Nut Zippers-Birdhouse The Ben(has nothing else better to do) ------------------------------ From: Insomneeak Message-ID: <7ccef10f.35085949@aol.com> Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 16:53:11 EST Subject: TMBG: Worcester Hey, I really need some info on the two Worcester shows, Clark U and Knellar Athletic Center! If anyone has times, where to get tickets, etc, PLEEEAAASSE e-mail me or the list ASAP. I even have a Factory Showroom Promotional poster if anyone has all the information (phone #s and such). Nick ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 15:09:58 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: tMBg: I got one for you... Message-ID: On Thu, 12 Mar 1998, Adam Tyner wrote: > How about Bereft performing "Toddler Hiway", Joe & The Chickenheads > performing "Absolutely Bill's Mood", Mailbox performing "Nightgown Of The > Sullen Moon", and Hot Waffles performing "O Do Not Forsake Me"? wow. wow, wow, wow, wow, wow. four bands that i have never HEARD of, and not a single one that i HAVE. who are these people? --jim kuemmerle j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu SKULL MOUNTAIN: we'll meet at the end of the tour... http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/skullmountain.html ------------------------------ From: Insomneeak Message-ID: <6774dcbc.35085d5b@aol.com> Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 17:10:33 EST Subject: TMBG: Update on shows In my research for the worcester shows, I have discovered that Knellar Athletic Center is part of Clark University. Are they playing shows two nights in a row or is one of the dates wrong? ------------------------------ From: Monotreme3 Message-ID: <22bcab76.350866ca@aol.com> Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 17:50:48 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: tMBg: I got one for you... In a message dated 3/12/98 4:18:32 PM Eastern Standard Time, gray42@juno.com writes: > Crash Test Dummies- Window > > Devo (if that were possible)- A Self Called Nowhere, Fingertips > > M. Manson-Turn Around :P > > Ween-They Might Be Giants > > Tom Waites- Absolutely Bill's Mood Okay. Tom Waits rocks. Ween, okay. Devo, yes. Crash Test Dummies, sure. But the day frickin' Marylyn Manson or how ever the heck his name is spelled appears on a TMBG tribute album is the day I projectile vomit on someone in my dorm. They won't be very happy about that, and neither will I. And "Turn Around"? Ack. That's one of their best. He'd kill it just like he killed "Sweet Dreams." No way. Even the suggestion makes me ill. Sorry... just stating my thoughts. To each his own, though. To each his own. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980312225854.8920.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Philbert Parka" Subject: Re: TMBG: tMBg: I got one for you... Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 14:58:54 PST >how about a they MIGHT BE giants Tribute Album. It's all the rage >now that you get other bands to collaborate on one album and do >their favorite covers of some band's songs. I think Mighty Mighty >Bostones could do a great cover of "Particle Man" and maybe Ziggy >Marley could do a version of "She's Actual Size." "Yah Mon, She's >actual size mon but she seems much bigger to me mon. She be >jammin She be jammin." What other bands could you see on my >dream they MIGHT BE giants Tribute Album? I could really see TMBG doing a TMBG Tirbute album. It would start off with TMBG doing "They Might Be Giants," and then maybe another band doing some other song, and then TMBG again doing"Rythym Section Want Ad." I think it would be very fitting for them to do a tribute to themselves. It would be verry TMBG, although I'm not exactly sure why..... Hi! I'm cryptic! Philby "Las Vegas is not really a city; it's more a celebration of everything evil."--Dr. Katz ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980312235952.4521.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Kyle Carrozza" Subject: Re: TMBG: tMBg: I got one for you... Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 15:59:52 PST Even a lurker can't stay away from this one... I agree with the Shonen Knife /Ana Ng thing I was gonna suggest that too... Cardigans- Don't Let's Start No Doubt- No One Knows My Plan Weird Al- Dig My Grave/Stomp Box Polka Smashmouth- First Kiss Pizzicato Five- Birdhouse in Your Soul Beck-The Guitar KC and the Sunshine Band- S-E-X-X-Y Rockapella- They Got Lost BNL- Statue Got Me High (I just wanna hear him scream out that high note) ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 20:13:55 -0500 Subject: TMBG:Nightmare Message-ID: <19980312.201412.6974.0.gray42@juno.com> You know how just recently we were talking about our They dreams, well.... just the other night I had a They nightmare. I dreamt that I was checking over my E-mail and I received a post that Flans had died. The area around the computer was dark, and I started to get classic TV dizzy (meaning that what I saw started to move in the way the screen does when someone in TV gets dizzy(hehe just try to figure it out) I saw weird flashes of Linnel, greifstricken, sitting in a dark room on a stool, surrounded by floating laz-e-boy chairs. All I could think was Oh No, Oh No! Then I woke up, still half asleep, mounted the bus (5:45 A.M.) and about half way to school, I happily realized it was only a dream. *whew* has any one else ever had a TMBG nightmare? wiping the sweat from her brow Mysterio Gal "They've Garble Warble Fashes" --Slartibartfast gray42@juno.com _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 20:21:20 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: tMBg: I got one for you...:opposites Message-ID: <19980312.202237.6974.1.gray42@juno.com> On Thu, 12 Mar 1998 17:50:48 EST Monotreme3 writes: >In a message dated 3/12/98 4:18:32 PM Eastern Standard Time, >gray42@juno.com >writes: > >> Crash Test Dummies- Window >> >> Devo (if that were possible)- A Self Called Nowhere, Fingertips >> >> M. Manson-Turn Around :P >> >> Ween-They Might Be Giants >> >> Tom Waites- Absolutely Bill's Mood > >Okay. Tom Waits rocks. Ween, okay. Devo, yes. Crash Test Dummies, >sure. But >the day frickin' Marylyn Manson or how ever the heck his name is >spelled >appears on a TMBG tribute album is the day I projectile vomit on >someone in my >dorm. They won't be very happy about that, and neither will I. And >"Turn >Around"? Ack. That's one of their best. He'd kill it just like he >killed >"Sweet Dreams." No way. Even the suggestion makes me ill. Sorry... >just >stating my thoughts. To each his own, though. To each his own. > ha ha, it just seemed like a funny combination to me, for They and Manson are complete opposites, Turn around has funny halloween like lyrics, and it would be krazee seing Manson doing something so lighthearted and fun... sort of like an oxymoron, I wonder who is They's complete opposite anyway, anyone have any ideas, or did I hit it right on the nail :) Mysterio Gal "They've Garble Warble Fashes" --Slartibartfast gray42@juno.com _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980312203717.006a62b0@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 20:37:17 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: tMBg: I got one for you...:opposites I dunno..."Turn Around" doesn't consist of 4 power-chords, so I think a Manson version would be pretty different from the original... ;) -Adam At 08:21 PM 3/12/98 -0500, gray42@juno.com wrote: > >ha ha, it just seemed like a funny combination to me, for They and Manson >are complete opposites, Turn around has funny halloween like lyrics, and >it would be krazee seing Manson doing something so lighthearted and >fun... sort of like an oxymoron, I wonder who is They's complete opposite >anyway, anyone have any ideas, or did I hit it right on the nail :) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980312204435.00840140@mail.csrlink.net> Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 20:44:35 -0500 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: Re: TMBG: I got one for you...:opposites At 08:21 PM 3/12/98 -0500, you wrote: >ha ha, it just seemed like a funny combination to me, for They and Manson >are complete opposites, Turn around has funny halloween like lyrics, and >it would be krazee seing Manson doing something so lighthearted and >fun... sort of like an oxymoron, I wonder who is They's complete opposite >anyway, anyone have any ideas, or did I hit it right on the nail :) Perhaps, but there are a lot of They fans, or at least Listies, that are MM fans. Does Maybe not a majority, but enough. Does that have anything to do with opposites, perhaps. Maybe, like say, someone like the Monkees. Just in that they had all sorts of mass culture appeal, and that's pretty much it. Not that there's anything wrong with that. (Dylan quotes Seinfeld.) Oh yah, I mentioned that the Tribute Album was an old thread, how about the Manson thread from about this time last year. Woaaaaaah nellie. Everyone from Mike Leffel to that one guy that everyone got mad at cause he swore on the list at that one girl had something to say. Ah, it's fun getting old. Also, I see that the archive appears to me nicely messed. If you click on 1997, it actually takes you to 1998. But, if you try to read one of those digests, it tells you that it wasn't found. I managed to find the 1998 ones my changing the /1997/ part of the URL to /1998/, simple enough, but I still didn't find my 1997 Archives. Dylan "And I Mean People Got Reaaal Mad" Flipse Dylan Flipse...one of them. - dflipse@csrlink.net Dylan's page is at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ for now. I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed -They Might Be Giants, the coolest thing this side of Zaphod Beeblebrox. ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 12 Mar 98 20:49 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG:Nightmare >has any one else ever had a TMBG nightmare? Well, my favorite TMBG dream was *almost* a TMBG nightmare - in my dream, I'd won the right to play tambourine for them. So basically I got to be onstage. Flans didn't seem to be very happy with my presence, and was bitching about the fact that the only food they had backstage was grapes and stale popcorn, and kept muttering about what I was doing there. Fortunately, Flansburgh then began singing "Psycho Killer" by the Talking Heads, and I started singing along, and he was so impressed that I knew all the words that he was my friend again. :) Kirs -- |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| "Peggy, I'm tryin' to hold off an outbreak here, and you're drivin' the monkey to the airport!" - Hank Hill "King of the Hill )*(*)*(*)Kirsten Brodbeck*kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu*AKA Crow(*)*(*)*( ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980312205605.0069d370@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 20:56:05 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG:Nightmare I kind of had a TMBG nightmare once. I was over at Their house, and they got kind of irritated at my presence. For a while, I kind of was their servant, getting them drinks and snacks. Then we all went out to their backyard where they had a huge covered slide full of cheese, like on those Kraft commercials. At that point, it was no longer a nightmare. ;) -Adam ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980313000745.0068ab48@pop.kent.edu> Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 00:07:45 -0500 From: Hutchy Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-Stuff Yo. I be'd watchin' The Late Late Show with Tom Sneider (for some unknown reason), and whence from yon television doth suddenly appear, Orson Beane! I never knew who he was! (For those few of you less imperfect geniuses), he played that old guy on Dr. Quinn, who did own one damn dry goods store. He once was on a gameshow with Peggy Cass and Kitty Carlisle! So that is from the phat of the TMBG intro on Then: TEY. Also, there is gonna be a show on Comedy Central called "They Might Be ______." (Hint: it's is not 'Giants.' Sincerely, The Special Flying Airwhale, Dave Hutch +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ------------------------------ From: Strawbos69 Message-ID: <259f68ba.3508bdf9@aol.com> Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 00:02:47 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Update on shows In a message dated 98-03-12 17:14:14 EST, Insomneeak@.com writes: << In my research for the worcester shows, I have discovered that Knellar Athletic Center is part of Clark University. Are they playing shows two nights in a row or is one of the dates wrong? >> Nope, sorry folks I screwed it up. Thanks to the many replies I've received... Should be: Apr 3, 1998 CLARK UNIVERSITY WORCESTER MA I'M SORRY! *sigh* Without Ice Cream, there would be darkness and chaos ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980313061027.00684524@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 00:10:27 -0600 From: "The Lil' Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-Stuff >called "They Might Be ______." >(Hint: it's is not 'Giants.' Irish. Deputy Dog -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Lil' Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980313065352.20624.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Bradley Gibson" Subject: TMBG: A Lurkers Dream... Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 22:53:50 PST "We interrupt pur reggularrly scheduled lurking to bring you this very important post" Here's my little forte (?) into the dream telling buisness: I had just finished making a, for lack better words, really, really big TMBG tape my some of their best songs for my freinds... (perhaps make me a few converts?) I looked at the clock and decided that it was getting pretty late so i went to sleep... I awoke in the middle of a desert, not anything but sand for miles them from behind a tree, came a skeleton in a floral shirt and blue shorts. The skeleton sat down next to me introduced himself and we talked until his head fell off. As I picked it up for him, being the polite guy that I am, I smiled and yelled, "Hey! You're the THEY Skull!" At that moment... as many TMBG characters as i could remember came out from behind a small shrubbery! There was Chess Peice Face, Bill of "absolutley bills mood" not the real one mind you.... but an artist's rendition, there was the Flaming Snowman and another with protective yellow skin, Lad _and_ Gal, a zombie, a robot, a penguin, all the kids from the John Henry cover.. a Lion with a guitar in the background, the girl with cotton in her ears, even cartoony John + John from the Pink album showed up! I heard a muffled voice say that he was going to go get a Ouija board (sp?) and from nowhere... "The Man" from WDTSS? jumps out and says to me... "That'll do Pig, That'll do." I then woke up five seconds before my alarm went off... Bradley "blue_j" Gibson - a man with way too much time on his hands +++===+++===+++===+++===+++===+++===+++===+++ Insanity is repeating the same mistake and expecting different results. ---- Anonymous Ps. the secret word for today is... "Irish" Please excuse the subliminal satanic message directly below... ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #4-435 ******************************