Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #4-436 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 4, Number 436 Saturday, 14 March 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: secret code TMBG: misc. t TMBG: Tom Jones Re: TMBG: tMBg: I got one for you.. TMBG: Re: tmbg-Stuff TMBG: upcoming show TMBG: Seton Hall/CUA TMBG: Mondegreens, finally! Re: TMBG: Seton Hall/CUA Re: TMBG: tMBg: I got one for you... Re: TMBG: tMBg: I got one for you... TMBG: tmbg dream Re: TMBG: tmbg dream Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 23:52:28 -0800 (PST) From: Kerry Biggs Subject: TMBG: secret code Message-ID: > Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 10:10:44 -0500 > From: Joey Groah > Subject: TMBG: Birdhouse by any other name... > > I was listening to a tape (thanks Jordan) of the Giants 11/29/94 Peak > Lounge radio appearance where They opened with Subliminal and closed > with Birdhouse. It sounded like They weren't sure what song to close > with, and Linnell says something like "How about DM?" and then They > break into Birdhouse. > I THINK he says DM, which I thought was a role playing term. Maybe GM, > but I just watched 'Roger and Me' again. He could be saying TM, > connoting Birdhouse as the trademark TMBG song. I don't think it was > BM, in honor of a Mike Leffel-style punchline. > > Does anyone know this secret TMBG code? Any other instances like this? DM = Depeche Mode. Just kidding... it would be "Destination Moon", judging by the date of the show. Kerry ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 05:34:53 -0700 Subject: TMBG: misc. t Message-ID: <19980313.053819.11238.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) >(1) saying things >like 'before the trading cards' and 'after the flesh fest' aren't terribly >helpful to me because i wasn't there when those things were happening. >does anybody know the DATE (i.e., month, year, etc.) of the previous >discussion of biopic casting? also: that's like mid - 96... i think... >Excellent idea! I don't believe there's a list of recorded live shows >right now...although I've seen some lists of bootlegs people own >that come pretty close. ;) Yes there is and it's at : http://udel.edu/~spike/concert.html has every show since 3/4/87 and if you want to see set-lists for all these shows go to: http://udel.edu/~spike/megaconcert.html everything that guy proposed to do in his discography page has already been done... i'm not sure it'd be worth his while but hey... if it's gonna be nice and neat unlike some of this other stuff... feel free to do as you please :) >Smashing Pumpkins - A Self Called Nowhere :::shudder::: mixing SP and TMBG is just an unbelievably ugly thought... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ***SP... one of like three bands i can't stand!*** _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: mjames@khserver.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9803131500.AA03803@khserver.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Tom Jones Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 10:00:03 -0500 (EST) > Tom Jones -Weep Day (hey what tribute album is a tribute album without TJ) No way, Tom Jones's style does not fit Weep Day, I'd say something more like She Was a Hotel Detective '94. Vegas style! Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@khserver.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9803131502.AA03811@khserver.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: tMBg: I got one for you.. Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 10:02:24 -0500 (EST) > > M. Manson-Turn Around :P > > > > Ween-They Might Be Giants > > > > Tom Waites- Absolutely Bill's Mood > > Okay. Tom Waits rocks. Ween, okay. Devo, yes. Crash Test Dummies, sure. But > the day frickin' Marylyn Manson or how ever the heck his name is spelled > appears on a TMBG tribute album is the day I projectile vomit on someone in my > dorm. They won't be very happy about that, and neither will I. And "Turn > Around"? Ack. That's one of their best. He'd kill it just like he killed > "Sweet Dreams." No way. Even the suggestion makes me ill. Sorry... just > stating my thoughts. To each his own, though. To each his own. Just a guess, but she was probably kidding about that... thus, the stick your tongue out smilie after it. Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@khserver.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9803131514.AA03820@khserver.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-Stuff Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 10:14:35 -0500 (EST) > Also, there is gonna be a show on Comedy Central > called "They Might Be ______." > (Hint: it's is not 'Giants.' Irish -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: Shaft137 Message-ID: Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 11:27:49 EST Subject: TMBG: upcoming show hi. does anyone know if the seton hall u (april 17th) show is open to the public? i checked at ticketmaster and the college's sites but didn't find anything. thanks. adam schaaf, off to get his bit part in "dogma" ------------------------------ From: mjames@khserver.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9803131633.AA03913@khserver.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Seton Hall/CUA Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 11:32:59 -0500 (EST) > hi. > > does anyone know if the seton hall u (april 17th) show is open to > the public? i checked at ticketmaster and the college's sites but > didn't find anything. thanks. > > adam schaaf, off to get his bit part in "dogma" Well, I wouldn't plan on going there on the 17th because TMBG is playing at the Catholic University of America in Washington, DC on April 17. And I should be there! Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 10:54:47 -0600 (GMT-0600) From: Amy Greenlese Subject: TMBG: Mondegreens, finally! Message-ID: Well, after some technical difficulties, the page is ready to be viewed by the public! Go check it out at: http://www2.onu.edu/~stu1336/TMBGreen.html I know that the image at the top doesn't work and I don't think the mondegreen-submit page works either (you can try it though) but everything else should be clear. Let me know what you think! **************** Amy Greenlese :) Music Educator Extraordinare http://www2.onu.edu/~stu1336 Q: How many surrealists does it take to screw in a lightbulb? A: Two. One to hold the giraffe, and one to fill the bathtub with brightly coloured machine tools. ------------------------------ From: Shaft137 Message-ID: <60d02731.350965bd@aol.com> Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 11:58:35 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Seton Hall/CUA hi > does anyone know if the seton hall u (april 17th) show is open to > the public? i checked at ticketmaster and the college's sites but > didn't find anything. thanks. > > adam schaaf, off to get his bit part in "dogma" > >Well, I wouldn't plan on going there on the 17th because TMBG is playing >at the Catholic University of America in Washington, DC on April 17. >And I should be there! >Matt sorry, that should say april 15th. adam schaaf, who's not paying attention ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 01:56:27 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: tMBg: I got one for you... Message-ID: <19980314.015946.4470.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> All this talk about a tribute album makes me wonder... What ever happened to We Might Be Giants Too? Is it dead? is the page still up... I never bookmarked it... anyone have a track listing? My memory was also jogged by the mention of Bereft and Mailbox, which I believe were on the album (Bereft is HORRIBLE!! It's funny!!) Tim, lying in bed (for some reason Brian Wilson (the song) is getting A LOT of radio play lately... I dunno why... I'm not a BNL fan, but the song is pretty cool) Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: Twisting Live Last CD purchase: promo singles _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980313151806.006a1cc0@130.127.28.14> Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 15:18:06 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: tMBg: I got one for you... At 01:56 AM 3/14/98 -0500, mr.train@juno.com wrote: > >Is it dead? is the page still up... I never bookmarked it... anyone have >a track listing? My memory was also jogged by the mention of Bereft and >Mailbox, which I believe were on the album (Bereft is HORRIBLE!! It's >funny!!) It's still goin'. Take a look at http://www.tmbg.org/~ondrey/ for the latest updates. It's been going for a while, but it's going to be incredible. A lot of work and love went into this (from everyone except Bereft, which just plain sucks), and it's going to be well worth the wait. I've heard several of the tracks, including the one from Mailbox, and they all sound great. The one from Mailbox is especially impressive!!! I recorded Toddler Hiway under the name Bereft way back in May '97, and I probably could do a better job now that I have a bunch more instruments. Bereft is actually going to be on a few other compilation albums, including the follow-up to alt.fan.devo's "Ten Year Olds With Suckerpads" (featuring 'Anal Warts') and "You Call This Music?" featuring fellow listies Joe and the Chickenheads (with Bereft's 33-second opus 'Beef Jerky'). >Tim, lying in bed (for some reason Brian Wilson (the song) is getting A >LOT of radio play lately... I dunno why... I'm not a BNL fan, but the >song is pretty cool) That's always been one of my favorite BNL songs. :) Of course, every song they've ever done is one of my favorites. :) TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980313213813.3847.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Tom O'Connell" Subject: TMBG: tmbg dream Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 13:38:13 PST a couple of nights ago i had a They Might Be Giants dream. i was at a bridge and i was , oh...50 feet tall and there was John Linnell( who was also about 50 feet tall. and it was nighttime. and John had this little toy car with a little miniture toy John Linnell in it. it was like something you would get at McDonalds, and it slightly resembled the car in the hotel detective video, and the toy of linnell looked like the cartoon of him in the video. well anyway, i asked him if i could have it and he said no, and i looked down and there was a toy of Flansburg in a car and i picked it up and asked linnell if i could have it, but he was too busy playing with the toy of him to answer, so i took it. and that was the end of the dream. -Amadais (this is my new address so i can get the tmbg list) ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <350976AB.86E2225D@mix-net.net> Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 18:10:53 +0000 From: CfeenyC Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg dream I have had ummm, about 3 TMBG dreams, the other 2 are really hard to remember. 1. Well, It all started after I had come home at 2:00 after a TMBG concert. I was really tired. John Linnell was at a place I did not know, and I was basically interviewing him, No clue what it was about, and then I heard a loud guitar, and they just started playing mammal, After that my dog walked in and John F, said "mammal!" and pictures started appearing and he just kept saying "mammal!" Until my alarm woke me up at 6:00. Weird! -Chris "Feeny" Campbell -"Mammal, mammal, you call their names, they raise a paw"-TMBG ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #4-436 ******************************