Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #4-437 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 4, Number 437 Sunday, 15 March 1998 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: tmbg dream TMBG: Candy Butchers Viper Room setlist TMBG: Candy Butchers Rock the Viper Room TMBG: NON-TMBG TMBG: Tribute album TMBG: No discogrpahy TMBG: I finally know! (re: mondegreens) Re: TMBG: I finally know! (re: mondegreens) Re: TMBG: I finally know! (re: mondegreens) TMBG: ma is as selfless as i am! Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Shaft137 Message-ID: <269a5902.350a2e7c@aol.com> Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 02:15:10 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg dream hi. >-Chris "Feeny" Campbell >-"Mammal, mammal, you call their names, they raise a paw"-TMBG umm, that should read "their names are called, they raise a paw." adam schaaf, who's very picky about these things. ------------------------------ From: Garit RN Message-ID: Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 02:40:58 EST Subject: TMBG: Candy Butchers Viper Room setlist Here's tonight's Candy Butchers setlist from the Viper Room on L.A.'s sunset strip: DIE overture HEAD COME RIDE WRONG ----------------- CUPID WON'T NOT OVER CALI ----------------- CANT WE SLEEP DOG HAVE 0 overture ONCE ------------------------------ From: Garit RN Message-ID: Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 03:04:18 EST Subject: TMBG: Candy Butchers Rock the Viper Room Hi folks, I just got back from the sweetest show so far this year. (yes i know it's only march) Tonight I went to see Candy Butchers at the Viper Room here in rainy Los Angeles, CA. Apparently it always seems to shower when they play here. I got there about an hour early, just in time to see the soundcheck! I was the only non-band non-employee there. It was so supercool! I talked to Dan Levine their trombone player (who also plays with TMBG from time to time) and he said Jim O'Conner was supposed to come but he has jury duty. Oh well. So instead they hired a local trumpet guy named John just for the one gig. Looks eerily like Johnny Depp circa Ed Wood! Good ol' Viola wrote out the horn lines for him so he wouldn't have to memorize anything. Anyway, Dan gave me his address and asked for a copy of the Irving Plaza CDs. He's a great guy so what the heck? He said he won't be touring with TMBG this spring and neither will Dan. No horns at all. =( I told Dan the manager about my web page and he said he'd hook me up with RPM their management company. I tried not to bug Mike too much. The man looked occupied. Soundcheck The soundcheck was so great cause I was the only one there. Like they were doing a 20 minute show just for lil ol me. On to the soundcheck setlist: Can't We Do Anything Right - rockin' new song they didn't play during the show Cupid horn lines Can't We Do Anything Right In Your Own Head - secord verse mostly without vocals! part of Once I Was Part of the Problem What I Won't Give - stops halfway cause Mike can't hear his voice What I Won't Give Overture Come on Girl!!!! part of I'm Not Over You So now I'll answer your most burning question: What did the boys wear? All wore matching tieless suits. Mike wore his traditional Salvation army grey suit and red dress shirt. Todd wore an off white suit. Dan Levine wore a nice black suit and green dress shirt. Pete wore some sort of purple suit and I didn't really pay attention to what Mike the drummer wore. In between the soundcheck and the show (like half an hour) I left The Viper Room to buy another Metal tape since I just used about 20 minutes of the tape I had to tape the soundcheck. When I come back there's a line being controlled by what looks like former members of The Fat Boys. They wouldn't let me take my recorder in...heck, they wouldn't let Dan the manager tape the show! So I went back to the car in defeat. When I finally got back in I got a 5 dollar discount off the $15 cover 'cause I "know the band." =) Dan Levine was nice enough to try to convince the bouncers to let me tape but oh well. Show Til We Die - just Mike and Todd playing his snare Overture - the entire 6 piece band comes on stage In Your Own Head Mike apologizes for the rain they brought with them (heh) Come on Girl!!! Let It Ride The Wrong Way Cupid Complained to Venus - with usual crowd sing-a-long What I Won't Give I'm Not Over You - with horns at the last verse! California Girl - Mike totally messed up on the bridge. He tried to do it spoken word (William Shatner style he says) He forgot two of the lines (miles from the sandy shore, she gets a taste of salt and tears) so I shouted them out to help him. I hope he appreciated that. Love's Long Sleep -Mike asks who was at the show a couple weeks ago. (See Spaceland post) I felt a tinge of jealousy as a few hands raised. Dogmatic - during the show Mike kept teasing Todd. At one point he fake kicked him. At the beginning of Dogmatic he leaned into Todd like he was gonna kiss him. Todd said something to express he didn't like that.... One of a Kind Encore - Once I Was Part of the Problem I shouted out Truckstop to no avail....the show was only 45 minutes. I think they wanted to play an hour, but The Viper Room's manager cut their set short. So that was tonight's experience. I got the soundcheck on tape and it sounds wonderful. But no show because of The Fat Boys. Mike says they'll be back "sometime." Til we meet again! Larry "Let's hear it for the Candy Butchers. Stick around for Booty Quake." - Viper Room announcer lady http://members.aol.com/CButchers - The Unofficial Candy Butchers page ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980314125758.29690.rocketmail@send1a.yahoomail.com> Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 04:57:58 -0800 (PST) From: Nancy Potter Subject: TMBG: NON-TMBG Hey! If anyone likes Reel Big Fish, I just thought I'd post that the basest has apendisitas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nancy P.S. Sorry about my spelling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <350AAE51.1B08@rica.net> Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 11:20:33 -0500 From: Joey Groah Subject: TMBG: Tribute album More tribute album suggestions: Man or Astro-Man? - Destination Moon or WDTSS? Elvis Costello - Ana Ng The Beatles - Birdhouse The Ramones - Until My Head Falls Off I think someone suggested Bosstones and Sleeping in the Flowers Tori Amos -Spiraling Shape David Bowie - WDTSS? or She Was a Hotel Detective '94 And regarding Candy Butchers: They rock. Thanks to Larry for the update. I saw Lincoln open for TMBG three or four times and always enjoyed them, but The Candy Butchers are my favs. Joey, was pulling for the asteroid ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot Message-ID: Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 13:50:27 EST Subject: TMBG: No discogrpahy >> everything that guy proposed to do in his discography page has already >> been done... i'm not sure it'd be worth his while but hey... if it's >> gonna be nice and neat unlike some of this other stuff... feel free to do >> as you please :) Damn...oh, well...I don't feel like overkill...(at least by posting a message, I found out that there IS a list of all recorded concerts, which is a helpful resource)... Ok, here's the question, though, we're the list of all the instruments the John's can play??? (Like I said, I heard Linnel can play 51 different instruments...) jason "uhh...." glastetter ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199803142007.MAA13181@geocities.com> From: "Joel Gedalius" Subject: TMBG: I finally know! (re: mondegreens) Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 15:07:27 -0500 In IPI I couldn't hear what they were sayin between stanzas and no one would ever tell me. I thought it was "Ritalin". Now on Amy's page I see it's "man o nam" ?? (where'd this come from?) Joel "The brown eye is talking to me" Gedalius ^T^M^B^G^ http://jew.base.org/they/ (IE4.0 enhanced!) Joel G (list memeber 10/96-6/97 & 2/98-?/??) ------------------------------ From: Shaft137 Message-ID: <2349f3e7.350af22b@aol.com> Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 16:10:05 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: I finally know! (re: mondegreens) hi. >In IPI I couldn't hear what they were sayin between stanzas and no one >would ever tell me. I thought it was "Ritalin". Now on Amy's page I see >it's "man o nam" ?? (where'd this come from?) "man o nam", much like "egad a base tone denotes a bad age" that comes later in the song, is just a random palindrome they made up. neither one probably means anything. adam schaaf, faahcs mada ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980314161140.00695df0@pop.indy.net> Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 16:11:40 -0500 From: rachel Subject: Re: TMBG: I finally know! (re: mondegreens) At 03:07 PM 3/14/98 -0500, you wrote: >In IPI I couldn't hear what they were sayin between stanzas and no one would >ever tell me. I thought it was "Ritalin". Now on Amy's page I see it's >"man o nam" ?? (where'd this come from?) > >Joel "The brown eye is talking to me" Gedalius >^T^M^B^G^ >http://jew.base.org/they/ (IE4.0 enhanced!) >Joel G (list memeber 10/96-6/97 & 2/98-?/??) > > it's a palindrome! :) was that your question? i beleive the johns themselves have pointed this out but i'm not sure. there are alot of other ones in the song like "egad a base tone denotes a bad age" and some more that i can't remember. i beleive theres some page out there that lists them all. i dunno where though. lovies, rachel ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 15:07:21 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: ma is as selfless as i am! Message-ID: On Sat, 14 Mar 1998, Shaft137 wrote: > "man o nam", much like "egad a base tone denotes a bad age" that comes > later in the song, is just a random palindrome they made up. i beg to differ! 'egad, a base tone denotes a bad age' is quite likely the oldest full-length palindromic sentence in the english language (before that one came along, it was widely assumed that a palindromic sentence was next to impossible. since then, obviously, many more have come about. a smattering of palindromes can be found at http://www.oz.net/~nercda/text/palin.html...) anyway, 'egad a base tone' is right up there with 'madam, i'm adam' and 'able was i ere i saw elba' as being classic palindromes... the johns most certainly did not make that one up. --jim kuemmerle, whose favorite palindromes are: 'gods ridicule lucid irs dog' 'ma, is ass a sin? is sass an assassin? i sass as i am!' and one i just made up (about my good friend jim exhorting my father to embrace chaos): 'desire eris, ed!' j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu SKULL MOUNTAIN: we'll meet at the end of the tour... http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/skullmountain.html ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #4-437 ******************************