Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #4-438 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 4, Number 438 Monday, 16 March 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: ween vs tmbg Re: TMBG: ween vs tmbg Re: TMBG: ween vs. tmbg Re: TMBG: ween vs. tmbg TMBG: my mondegreenE! (and other stufF) Re: TMBG: my mondegreenE! (and other stufF) Re: TMBG: ween vs. tmbg Re: TMBG: ween vs tmbg TMBG: NON - TMBG(and other stufF) + Ween TMBG: 86 down Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 12:31:16 -0700 Subject: TMBG: ween vs tmbg Message-ID: <19980315.123122.11054.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) hEY HEy! flipping through this months issue of spin magazine (w/ madonna on the cover) they have an "article" on one-hit wonders... of which they have listed: WEEN "Push Th' Little Daisies" 1993 Charm: psycho-naive mumbling over captain and tennille keyboard riff Fatal Flaw: They Might Be Annoying: the world didn't need another wiseacre duo Magic Moment: sounded even better when sung by Beavis and Butt-head. anyways, i've noticed that in a lot of cases you'll see "if you like TMBG then you'll like ween" and vice versa... i dunno... with the whole TMBAnnoying crack i'm just wondering... any ween fans on the list? take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html "They Might Be Giants is available now in shopping mall record stores, under the Ts, right next to Tiffany." ---JOhN Flansburgh '88 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 12:48:26 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: ween vs tmbg Message-ID: On Sun, 15 Mar 1998, Joda: Master of Yedi wrote: > Fatal Flaw: They Might Be Annoying: the world didn't need > another wiseacre duo grrrr...... if it weren't for the fact that they gave beck and cornershop 'album of the year' honors, i'd boycott spin just for that... if anything, the world needs MORE wiseacre groups! on too much joy! on presidents of the usa! on weird al! --jim kuemmerle, who just realized that he's never bought a copy of spin anyway... some boycott this is... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu SKULL MOUNTAIN: we'll meet at the end of the tour... http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/skullmountain.html ------------------------------ From: Spoonerism Message-ID: <348c71f2.350c3a7e@aol.com> Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 15:30:53 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: ween vs. tmbg << Fatal Flaw: They Might Be Annoying: the world didn't need another wiseacre duo >> It's comments like this that make me disgusted with the music industry today. I don't read music magazines and I don't listen to commecial radio anymore either. I honestly don't want to hear the usual rotation of Sublime, Generic Ska Bands A-Z, Bush, and Prodigy on a so-called "Alternative Station." If the write of this statement took the time to research our beloved band before publicly deriding their more-than-a-decade-long career, they would see (or probably not see) that Their lyrics are some of the most deeply metaphorical and symbolic works ever written. Just because They're humourous or it takes a little thought to see the deeper meanings doesn't mean that the John's are "Wiseacre" Harumpf -A quite angry Casey ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980315224423.00692168@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 16:44:23 -0600 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: ween vs. tmbg ><< Fatal Flaw: They Might Be Annoying: the world didn't need > another wiseacre duo >> SIGH! Not only do they go about insulting Ween, they also dig their heels into They. What is with these idiots? Well, I guess that's what we get for listening to non-traditional music. And just for the record Ween is three guys. (Gene, Dean, and Mean) SIGH. SIGH. AND SIGH AGAIN. LDB. -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980316013027.25395.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Charles Hodges" Subject: TMBG: my mondegreenE! (and other stufF) Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 17:30:26 PST 1) well, after listening to "lincoln" again this week, i remembered a mondegreene i heard (still hear, actually) on iT. it's really silly, actually, but on the last phrase of "purple toupeE" i always hear "we have to work to paY". i guess one could say i've led an indebted lifE.... 2) i announce that i have FINALLY heard a ben folds five sonG. it was "bricK" which i saw on the top ten usa program on brazilian mtV. it's a good song, but somebody please tell me they have better stufF. a friend of mine who knows the band thinks i would love them, and most of the listies seem to like 'em, sO... well, maybe i should stop being lazy and get myself some bff mp3S. (of course, i'm still getting all the tmbg ones available out therE...) 3) i beg to differ with the point that marilyn manson and tmbg are completely different (no, this is NOT a defense of mm, although i don't hate theM). the two bands share nothing musically, i agree, but their attitude is similaR. neither of the two bands take themselves very seriouslY. don't get me wronG. i'm not saying tmbg don't take their MUSIC seriously, which they most certainly dO. but they don't take themselves as a "rock" band (or whateveR how is tmbg officially classifieD? "alternativE"? (i hate that namE)) very seriosly. if i had to choose an opposite for tmbg, my vote would go to sisters of mercY. their songs are all long, and they take themselves MUCH too seriouslY. (they did use an electronic drum set on their early records, thougH... oh, welL...) HW (r) aka platybuS aka enjauladO aka O.T.M.B.GA.B., who worries about people who spell it "basesT" (no offensE), however true the adjective may be to the bass playeR ---------- cd listened tO: his name is alive's "mouth by moutH" (does anyone else know/like this banD? i think they're one of the greatest post-tmbg bands eveR) last movie seeN: good will huntinG (please don't let it win the oscaR) "he gave her his eaR / 'guard this object carefullY' / and then he disappeareD" - his name is alivE ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 18:42:24 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: my mondegreenE! (and other stufF) Message-ID: On Sun, 15 Mar 1998, Charles Hodges wrote: > HW (r) aka platybuS aka enjauladO aka O.T.M.B.GA.B., who worries about > people who spell it "basesT" (no offensE), however true the adjective > may be to the bass playeR which reminds me of another palindrome i like: 'egad, a bass tone denotss a bad age...' --jim kuemmerle, who buys his alpaca products at a llama mall... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ SKULL MOUNTAIN: we'll meet at the end of the tour... http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/skullmountain.html ------------------------------ Message-ID: <350C8F93.4902@rica.net> Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 21:33:56 -0500 From: Joey Groah Subject: Re: TMBG: ween vs. tmbg > ><< Fatal Flaw: They Might Be Annoying: the world didn't need > > another wiseacre duo >> > C'mon guys, SPIN's right. I don't like smart music that's not ego-gratification for some stoned out meglomaniac and marketed... I mean reviewed by SPIN. I'm gonna go out and buy me some Pearl Jam and Nirvana. Come to me sweet depression, belt out those soulful lyrics of being misunderstood and picked last for basketball games in high school. There was a really funny line in 'The Simpsons' episode with The Smashing Pumpkins and Cypress Hill, I can only paraphrase it: "Selling depressing music to teenagers is like shooting fish in a barrel." Someday I'll be hip enough to buy SPIN. Someday. Until then, I'll keep laughing. Joey, staring out the window knowing I'm the only person like me who thinks about these kinds of things ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 21:14:38 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: ween vs tmbg Message-ID: <19980315.212714.10294.0.gray42@juno.com> I haven't really heard much Ween, but some of my friends who are into They Might Be Giants are also fans of Ween, and what they've played for me, I have enjoyed so far. Mysterio Gal "They've Garble Warble Fashes" --Slartibartfast ICQ# 9585405 gray42@juno.com _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 22:48:43 -0500 Subject: TMBG: NON - TMBG(and other stufF) + Ween Message-ID: <19980315.224854.4502.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> On Sun, 15 Mar 1998 17:30:26 PST "Charles Hodges" writes: <> >2) i announce that i have FINALLY heard a ben folds five sonG. it was >"bricK" which i saw on the top ten usa program on brazilian mtV. it's >a good song, but somebody please tell me they have better stufF. a >friend of mine who knows the band thinks i would love them, and most of the >listies seem to like 'em, sO... well, maybe i should stop being lazy >and get myself some bff mp3S. (of course, i'm still getting all the >tmbg ones available out therE...) <> HA HA HA! Better stuff? Can we say "Dwarf?" can we say "Underground" Jackson Cannery" Battle of Who Could Care Less" "Steven's Last Night In Town" and "Eddy Walker?" trust me and any other BFF fan... they get much better than Brick... I love Brick as much as the next guy... the music arrangement is great and the lyrics are powerful.. Ben's voice isn't at it's best however (IMHO) and I like their fast stuff much better than the slow stuff like cigarette and Missing the War... anyway I just wanted to say that I don't think Brick is the best song they've done (heck, I figured it out on the piano just by watching the video and the SNL performance) and don't judge them on the basis of that song... unless you think it is really great... then it's OK... Also on Ween: Piss up A Rope - just pitiful... I can't think of a worse song... I just can't describe how bad it is.. just cursing and country music and crap... Freedom of '76(?) - this song I like a little better... It's really ... groovy sounding... the thing that turns me away from Ween is the high voices... it just gets annoying... to me... good thing the only time any radio station plays them is when they come to town... unfortunately the same is true for TMBG Tim, on Part two of Monkey Island 3 Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: They'll Need a Crane Last CD purchase: promo singles _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19980315231504.008f45f0@email.uc.edu> Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 23:15:07 -0500 From: Matthew Burkart Subject: TMBG: 86 down Is anybody good at crossword puzzles? The clue is (blank) Might Be Giants and there is a hint ('71 film) It was in the Journal News of Hamilton Ohio and I think the Cincinnati Enquirer has the same puzzle. Oh well, Matt Burkart ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #4-438 ******************************