Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #4-439 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 4, Number 439 Tuesday, 17 March 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ TMBG: I Palindrome I TMBG: Ween stuff Re: TMBG: Ween stuff TMBG: Martin Van Buren a former president... Re: NON-TMBG: BFF TMBG: Ween stuff Re: TMBG: Martin Van Buren a former president... TMBG: (blank) Might Be Giants TMBG: misc t Re: TMBG: Martin Van Buren a former president... TMBG: Fwd: [XF] Re: Treehouse and Shakespeare..Slightly OT. TMBG: EMAIL SPIN!!! Re: TMBG: ween vs. tmbg Re: TMBG: ween vs tmbg Re: TMBG: Martin Van Buren a former president... TMBG: TMBG vs Marilyn Manson Re: TMBG: NON - TMBG(and other stufF) + Ween TMBG: Childlike Music (was Re: TMBG: TMBG vs Marilyn Manson) Re: TMBG: We hate Spin! We do? (Was-TMBG vs Marilyn Manson) TMBG: more ween and otherstuff.. TMBG: mondegreens TMBG: postcard/ and a ? TMBG: i can't stand here listening to you and your fragrant friends... Re: TMBG: I Palindrome I Re: NON-TMBG: BFF TMBG: help! Re: TMBG: druginess Re: TMBG: postcard/ and a ? Re: TMBG: druginess Re: TMBG: druginess+Ithaca Show Re: TMBG: druginess Re: TMBG: Ithaca Show TMBG: Myrtle Beach show non-TMBG: jimi hendrix Re: non-TMBG: jimi hendrix TMBG: Pittsburgh show Re: TMBG: druginess Non-TMBG:The mother of all palindromes Re: TMBG: druginess Re: TMBG: I Palindrome I Van & Buren Ne Rub Nav Re: Non-TMBG:The mother of all palindromes Re: TMBG:The mother of all palindromes Re: TMBG: druginess TMBG: TMBG & drugs Re: TMBG: Straight Edge Origins Re: TMBG: help! Re: Non-TMBG:The mother of all palindromes Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 03:15:01 -0500 (EST) From: Majordomo Message-Id: <199803160815.DAA04245@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT When you send a message to the list you are sending messages to hundreds of people. Make sure that your message is one that hundreds of people need to read. Do not send "me too" messages to the list. Do not send messages about non-tmbg topics to the list. Hold private conversations in private e-mail. Sending messages that the list administrator deems off topic will result in your being removed from the list. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 03:55:57 -0700 (MST) From: jim Subject: TMBG: I Palindrome I Message-ID: Ok Jim (the Man), I got a few palindromes to retaliate against yours. To anyone else up to the challenge (insanity) to create your own palindrome, I beg of you to post them. Let's start out simple... I Madonna, an nod am I. A little more complicated now... Oi! Sack Cape Magic. I game pack Casio. Now for the mother of all palindromes... E. Sonnie Rita's DNA mug ross time salad alas emits sorgum and satire in nose. Ok, now that was one hour and 15 minutes of procrastinating on studying for my Kenetics exam. Back to reaction rates and catalyst sites. -jim (not the man) ------------------------------ From: NitpickR Message-ID: <8cfd9706.350d0e28@aol.com> Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 06:33:58 EST Subject: TMBG: Ween stuff Hello 41- Fist and foremost... <> I must disagree. Piss Up A Rope, along with the other 11 Golden Country Greats, are excellent songs. All to be loved and appriciated. We say TMBG is diverse by doing songs from Lie Still Little Bottle to On The Drag to Exquisite Dead Guy (or whatever) but they wouldn't put out an entirely country album, and follow it up with a very electronic, moog filled album. Ween vs. TMBG I see how critics could see similarities. There are differences though. Ween had Push The Little Dasies. It was loud and annoying on purpose. It got radio airplay. That was about it for Ween and radio airplay... Ween, however, doesn't feel obligated to play the song during every set at every show. The Ween shows I've seen, they've never played it. If I had to generalize it a bit, Ween's fans are like TMBG's, except probably a bit older, and a bit "more out there." Ween is very pro-drug use. They have Parental Advisory stickers on their albums. Ween, like TMBG, has lots of energy live and have fun shows. Looking at just the show, I like Ween's better, because every show, they play what they feel like. TMBG usually follows very closely to what's scripted. I've heard the Johns, and other people, say the reason this is so, is because the record companies like it this way. I don't buy it, because Ween is also on Elektra. However, I like TMBG's songs better than Ween's songs as a whole. Ween is pro-bootlegging, which I like too. Their soundman makes a DAT recording of all the Ween shows, and they get out into the public. They also encourage fan taping. At the last show of theirs at the 9:30 Club, some kid was holding a mic up, while they were playing. Gene commented on it several times, and even spoke directly into it once or twice. Pretty cool methinks... They have a pretty devoted following. Not as strong as TMBG's, but the fanatics are there. So, I'd recommend Ween to TMBG fans, but be aware you might not like it (like anything). Go to a record store that lets you listen to whatever you want in the store, and check 'em out. Adam ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 04:55:09 -0700 (MST) From: jim Subject: Re: TMBG: Ween stuff Message-ID: Ok, I like Ween but not in the "I will drive 1000 miles to see them they MIGHT BE giants" kinda way. But why doesn't anyone talk about the songs I think Ween shows their talent on... i.e. "Freedom of 76" or "Pork Eggroll w/Cheese" (I think that's what it is called.) At the college radio where I am Programming Director, Ween is a staple in the requests we get but I have yet to have "Push the Daisies" song requested. And another thing, the Dee Jays hated the Golden Country Greats album when it was in rotation. I thought it was somewhat cool to play because of the camp value (ouch, there's a pun Jim would be proud of) but other than that it wasn't as musically refined as it could have been. Thus, if tMBg and Ween went into a no holds barred musical brawl, Ween would be KO in the third round. Sorry but that's just the way I feel. -jim "Fighting for that place in rock-n-roll" ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 05:11:50 -0700 (MST) From: jim Subject: TMBG: Martin Van Buren a former president... Message-ID: and an abolitionist? Wait a minute! I went and saw Spielberg's movie Amistad this weekend and Nigal Hawthorne played a very ambition driven Van Buren who would do anything to get re-elected. So I am a little confused about the lyrics to James K. Polk now. Did Van Buren become an abolitionist after he lost the election? Is Spielberg using his creative license on American history? Are they MIGHT BE giants wrong in what they are teaching us in their song? Does anyone give a damn about this obvious contradiction? Just a few questions I would like answered. And yes, this will be my last obnoxious email of the night. I will stop procrastinating and finish studying for my Kinetics midterm. -jim ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 08:47:25 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: BFF Message-id: <350D2D6D.DB154B83@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Charles Hodges wrote: > 2) i announce that i have FINALLY heard a ben folds five sonG. it was > "bricK" which i saw on the top ten usa program on brazilian mtV. it's a > good song, but somebody please tell me they have better stufF. a friend > of mine who knows the band thinks i would love them, and most of the > listies seem to like 'em, sO... well, maybe i should stop being lazy > and get myself some bff mp3S. (of course, i'm still getting all the > tmbg ones available out therE...) Brick is a decent okay song. But it isn't what Ben Folds Five sounds like. If someone buys a BFF CD based on Brick (which I'm sure many many people have done for all the airplay Brick gets), there is a chance they'll be dissappointed. When I think of Ben Folds Five, Jackson Cannery or Underground come into my head. Well, that and Ben Folds playing the piano with a stool. That is taking the word playing to an extreme of course *grin* If you can do RealAudio, check out www.liveconcerts.com for a good BFF snippet (about 40 minutes I think). - Chad ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9803161413.AA05804@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Ween stuff Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 09:13:12 -0500 (EST) > I must disagree. Piss Up A Rope, along with the other 11 Golden Country > Greats, are excellent songs. All to be loved and appriciated. We say There wasn't 12 songs on 12 Golden Country Greats was there? It was like 9 or 10 I believe. I agree with Jim that I wouldn't go so far to see Ween live. I find Ween fits into a musical niche and you certainly have to be in a mood to listen them (at least I do). I like excellent pop songs and while Ween has some pretty excellent songs they're more of the off-the-rocker variety. Of course, I'm more of the TMBG, XTC, Moxy Fruvous, Divine Comedy, Robyn Hitchcock, Ocean Blue, James, etc oriented music lover. Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980316151927.006881ec@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 09:19:27 -0600 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: Martin Van Buren a former president... My US. History book notes him as an abolishionist. And I'm gonna add I got an A+ on my project in which I included the lyrics to JKP. Thank god the student teacher was into They. AND IT WAS ALL ON YELLOW PAPPER! LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 10:01:58 -0600 (CST) From: cyberspace buddha Subject: TMBG: (blank) Might Be Giants Message-ID: On Sun, 15 Mar 1998, Matthew Burkart wrote: > Is anybody good at crossword puzzles? > > The clue is (blank) Might Be Giants > > and there is a hint ('71 film) Hmm... gee... How many letters? any of them filled in yet? cheers, cb Cyberspace Buddha /(0\ What's on, your mind? mailto:cb@silverchat.com \1)/ http://silverchat.com/~cb Not your fathers buddha. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 09:58:19 -0700 Subject: TMBG: misc t Message-ID: <19980316.095824.11254.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) > if it weren't for the fact that they gave beck and >cornershop 'album of the year' honors, i'd boycott spin just for that... wanna hear what they had to say about beck in the one hit wonderland section? :) teehee >Is anybody good at crossword puzzles? >The clue is (blank) Might Be Giants >and there is a hint ('71 film) hmm... that's a brain buster... how many letters was it... maybe that will help... take it easy, :::JOrdaN::: http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html "We have sort of a nonimage, but we're in a business where a lot of what is being presented is only image." ---JOhn Flansburgh _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 09:34:59 -0800 (PST) From: "E. Fjellanger" Subject: Re: TMBG: Martin Van Buren a former president... Message-ID: I believe there may be a little confusion of terms here, as I don't see how what you say contradicts the song. Isn't an abolitionist someone who wishes to abolish slavery? Eric Fjellanger That's all I can think of, but I'm sure there's something else... On Mon, 16 Mar 1998, jim wrote: > and an abolitionist? Wait a minute! I went and saw Spielberg's movie > Amistad this weekend and Nigal Hawthorne played a very ambition driven Van > Buren who would do anything to get re-elected. So I am a little confused > about the lyrics to James K. Polk now. Did Van Buren become an > abolitionist after he lost the election? Is Spielberg using his creative > license on American history? Are they MIGHT BE giants wrong in what they > are teaching us in their song? Does anyone give a damn about this obvious > contradiction? Just a few questions I would like answered. And yes, this > will be my last obnoxious email of the night. I will stop procrastinating > and finish studying for my Kinetics midterm. > > -jim > > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980316181013.3629.rocketmail@send1d.yahoomail.com> Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 10:10:13 -0800 (PST) From: Ethuilcalen Subject: TMBG: Fwd: [XF] Re: Treehouse and Shakespeare..Slightly OT. Hiya guys :) This was sent to the XF mailing list, and I thought it was so cute that I asked Maureen if I could repost it here for your enjoyment. Hm...wonder what it would be like if Mulder and Scully sang TMBG...no, too scary for me to think about! *G* The Shakey parody is simply added for fun...has nothing to do with Them...but if you're into the Bard, you'll like it :) Ethuilcalen :) > Re: Treehouse -- I sent this protest filk to Fox. > Lyrics by Maureen S. O\'Brien, 3/11/98 > To the tune of: "We Want a Rock" by They Might Be Giants, > from their album Flood. > > > > Maybe you just forgot -- > > The show that you are making > > Was written by some fannish kid > > Who had a thing for Kolchak > > And a tree he could pretend around. > > > > Everybody wants to have > > A tree they can pretend around > > You cut down every X-Phile\'s tree > > That they can play pretend around. > > > > Chorus 1: > > Throw the cell door wide. > > Make the people crawl inside. > > Someone in your town > > Is gonna burn our Treehouse down. > > They wanna stop the ones who want > > A tree they can pretend around. > > But everybody wants to have > > A tree they can pretend around. > > > > (repeat chorus 1) > > > > If I were a Fox exec, I\'d > > Leave the kids their Treehouse. I\'d > > Be thankful for publicity > > I didn\'t have to pay for, and I > > Wouldn\'t ever shut it down. > > > > Everybody wants a zillion > > Jpegs, transcripts, avi\'s. > > And I don\'t see the Fox site give those > > Jpegs, transcripts, avi\'s. > > > > Chorus 2: > > Throw the cell door wide. > > Make the people crawl inside. > > Someone in your town > > Is gonna burn our Treehouse down. > > They wanna stop the ones who want some > > Jpegs, transcripts, avi\'s. > > And I don\'t see the Fox site give those > > Jpegs, transcripts, avi\'s. > > > > Chorus 3: > > Throw the cell door wide. > > Make the people crawl inside. > > Someone in your town > > Is gonna burn the jpegs down. > > They wanna stop the ones who want > > A tree they can pretend around. > > But everybody wants to have > > A tree they can pretend around. > > > > Re: If Shakespeare wrote the X-Files movie -- > > Okay, so it\'s not the best pastiche in the world. But it > > does show what could be done...something Hank V-ish, > > something Othello-ish.... And I think Mulder speaking > > the prologue is cool. > > > > MULDER: > > I know that you are watching. Every day > > I feel your eyes upon me. Every night > > The walls have ears; behind them, hands and tongue. > > Now as you hold me prisoner, I know well > > A hidden audience observes each move. > > You think I am the captive? You are mine. > > Whate\'er I choose to say, you needs must hear. > > Say, what is your hire? Is\'t worth your time, > > Your trouble, and the soiling of your soul? > > And will they let you leave here, should you choose? > > Or are you prisoner, too? > > O audience, > > Perhaps I should explain why I am here. > > For seven years and more, I\'ve chased the truth > > As if it were some hart, to bring to bay > > The ones who stole my sister and my peace. > > Instead, I found a shadow governance > > Conspiring to conceal -- what? Aliens? a lie? > > Cruel tests and worse technology? Then what for? > > I don\'t know, but I\'m here; I must be close. > > And so I... > > [enter SCULLY, bound] > > How now? Scully? What is this? > > These shadowmen have done you honor -- bound > > Hand, foot and eyes, for fear of what you\'d do. > > Ah! Bound too tight. Physician, heal thyself -- > > There! Now the gag. Speak, Scully! Art all right? > > > > SCULLY: > > They took my gun and freedom. Naught else. You? > > > > MULDER: > > The usual bumps and bruises. Scully, I > > Had hoped they might forget you. > > > > SCULLY: How? They knew > > We\'re partners, Mulder. I\'d come after you. > > > > MULDER: > > Where were you when they came? > > > > SCULLY: Parking garage. > > The Abrams autopsy ran over-late. > > My nose, stink-full of corpse formaldehyde, > > Was slow to smell a rat. > > > > MULDER: \'Twas Krycek, then? > > > > SCULLY: > > Who else? I would you\'d killed him. > > > > MULDER: Scully! Tsk! -- > > We\'re here, alive for now. Perhaps They need > > Two paladins to save their rodent breed. > > > > [Enter KRYCEK with guards] > > > > KRYCEK: > > Simian, rather. Monkey girls and boys > > Picking trash to find new monkey toys, > > Using tools we cannot understand, > > Raised by brains less than that thumb on hand. > > Now the hunters come. We have no clue > > If they have come to kill or stock a zoo. > > Guards! Bring them. > > > > SCULLY: Tell us why we\'re here. > > > > KRYCEK: > > Why, you are summoned, doctor, to a feast > > With him who fancies he\'s the king of beasts. > > [Exeunt omnis.] > > > > And I\'m just a hack pretending to be Billy-boy. > > The real dude would make even St. Vince look pale. > > > > Maureen "a filker\'s heart wrapped in a player\'s hide" == The Quote of the Day Brought to you by the Cerulean Blue Wierdo: "And they never called her 'Silly Annabel' again." --Prairie Dawn, some sort of Sesame Street tape ;) "Dubity-dubity-dubity-du! Du-du-du-du-du-*oink*! Thank you!" _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot Message-ID: Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 13:27:32 EST Subject: TMBG: EMAIL SPIN!!! First of all, the whole TMBG Spin thing is totally uncalled for. First off, how can they even consider TMBG to be a one-hit wonder? Which song is the one- hit? Is it Particle Man, which made it onto an MTV CD, 8 years after the original release? Is it Birdhouse, which (I believe) was #1 on the UK chats for a while? Is it Istanbul which every one seems to know? Or is it S-E-X-X-Y, the only song to make it on to Casy Casum's (sp?) top 40? I could go on, but I won't...My point is that isn't a one-hit wonder a band that only releases one single that does well? My favorite example of a recent one hit-wonder: Chumbawumba (I chose this one because I saw them at the Spin site). I don't listen to Chumbawumba (I could even be spelling the damn thing wrong), but I haven't heard any song except that Tubthumping one (I bet the average person hasn't) & it annoys me (especially live because they don't harmonize & they can't sing in unison). If anyone likes Chumbawumba, I'm sorry, but I don't like them & that's my opinion. I think we should all EMail Spin requesting, or yelling, or something...how many of us are on this mailing list? Surely enough to make them think twice before dissing TMBG & making false statements about them... Plus, Spin is publishing an article that they appear to know little about (as in, they don't even know what a one-hit wonder is), I think as a future communications major, one should have at least some idea of "the facts" before reporting or printing anything.... I liked Jim's point where he mentioned the Simpsons, btw... jason "reprehensible" glastetter ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 13:03:23 -0600 (CST) From: "Christopher M. Stangl" Subject: Re: TMBG: ween vs. tmbg Message-ID: On Sun, 15 Mar 1998, The Li'l Depressed Boy wrote: > ><< Fatal Flaw: They Might Be Annoying: the world didn't need > > another wiseacre duo >> The other thing is, Ween *might* be annoying. It's true. I think it's really easy to see how Ween could irritate a person. They're incredibly sophomoric, vulgar, stupid, and gross. They sing in funny voices, and the songs are full of druggy giggling, distortion and weirdness. They very easily might be annoying. > SIGH! Not only do they go about insulting Ween, they also dig their heels > into They. What is with these idiots? Well, I guess that's what we get for > listening to non-traditional music. And just for the record Ween is three > guys. (Gene, Dean, and Mean) Mean Ween is part of the band in the same way Laura Cantrell is part of They Might Be Giants. Mean does guestwork on some albums (and even appears on the cover of "The Pod"), but his status as a bandmember is debatable. Maybe Mean *should* be part of the band, though: his guitar is formidable, and his vocals on "Little Birdy" are unforgettable. -Chris Stangl ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 12:51:01 -0600 (CST) From: "Christopher M. Stangl" Subject: Re: TMBG: ween vs tmbg Message-ID: On Sun, 15 Mar 1998, Joda: Master of Yedi wrote: > flipping through this months issue of spin magazine (w/ madonna on the > cover) they have an "article" on one-hit wonders... of which they have > listed: > WEEN "Push Th' Little Daisies" 1993 > Charm: psycho-naive mumbling over captain and tennille > keyboard riff > Fatal Flaw: They Might Be Annoying: the world didn't need > another wiseacre duo > Magic Moment: sounded even better when sung by Beavis > and Butt-head. > > anyways, i've noticed that in a lot of cases you'll see "if you like TMBG > then you'll like ween" and vice versa... i dunno... with the whole > TMBAnnoying crack i'm just wondering... any ween fans on the list? Si. Soy un Ween Fan. The biggest gripe I have with the article, is that for Ween to be a One Hit Wonder, they would have to have a hit song... which they never have, and never will. Besides... the world most certainly *does* need another wiseacre duo. A lot more. I only vaguely see the Ween/ Giants connection. They both fiddle with the standard pop-song format to fit their own goofball ends, and they both sing in funny voices. And they both put lots of songs on their albums. However, one of the main appeals of TMBG is that they're diabolically intelligent. Ween can make no such claim. Ween's lyrics are intentionally moronic, and entirely drug induced (by their own admission, "The Pod" was created entirely under the influence of huffing Scotchguard). The Might Be Giants are so cute they're often found in Christian record stores. Ween prides themselves on writing songs like "L.M.L.Y.P." (that's "Let Me Lick Your Pussy", for non Weeners. A guitar rawk masterpiece, even for someone who hates rock guitar). Ween has a lot going for them, but they're miles away from TMBG. -Chris Stangl ------------------------------ From: BenMoobil Message-ID: <142fd406.350d7e47@aol.com> Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 14:32:21 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Martin Van Buren a former president... In a message dated 3/16/98 11:36:53 AM Central Standard Time, fjellem@u.washington.edu writes: << Isn't an abolitionist someone who wishes to abolish slavery? >> Yes , even less than that an abolishonist wasn't someone who just whished to abolish slavery but in the early-mid 1800(say around 1820 or so) abolitionist had come to be a word that mean everyone who didn't like slavey at all , weather or not they had an opinion as to weather to free the slaves or not. The Ben ~ spoutin some history~ havin some fun ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot Message-ID: <89c32c7c.350d7eb3@aol.com> Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 14:34:09 EST Subject: TMBG: TMBG vs Marilyn Manson >> 3) i beg to differ with the point that marilyn manson and tmbg are >> completely different (no, this is NOT a defense of mm, although i don't >> hate theM). the two bands share nothing musically, i agree, but their >> attitude is similaR. I think there used to be similarities between Marilyn Manson & TMBG, even musically(besides the drum machine thing), however lately, Marilyn Manson has gone so far down into a craphole that I don't think he'll ever even be able to think about comparing to the greatness of the Johns now, but in his early days he had a chance. I think a lot of this can be attributed to Manson's first guitarist, Scott Mitchell, he tried to associate Manson's dark lyrics with playful music...My Monkey is a good example of such a song...the lyrics are talking about something stupid, yet cute, yet still could be evil & there's a brass section & odd guitars & it actually sounds kinda playful & child-like (words that I often hear associated with some of TMBG's songs, probably due to the Tiny Toons relation...) So, Marilyn Manson's (if you sum up his complete carrer) is not the Anti-TMBG, but if you take Marilyn Manson (as they are now), I think they ARE the Anti- TMBG. jason "still pissed off at that Spin thing" glastetter P.S.- Email the online editor online editor of Spin at SPINspy@aol.com & tell him Spin Sucks!!! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 13:10:36 -0600 (CST) From: "Christopher M. Stangl" Subject: Re: TMBG: NON - TMBG(and other stufF) + Ween Message-ID: On Sun, 15 Mar 1998 mr.train@juno.com wrote: > On Sun, 15 Mar 1998 17:30:26 PST "Charles Hodges" > writes: > <> > >2) i announce that i have FINALLY heard a ben folds five sonG. it was > >"bricK" which i saw on the top ten usa program on brazilian mtV. it's > >a good song, but somebody please tell me they have better stufF. They don't have better stuff. Sorry. "Brick" is the only Ben Farts Five song I can even come close to saying I enjoy. As piano rock goes, I'd rather listen to (shudder) Billy Joel (ugh). > Also on Ween: > Piss up A Rope - just pitiful... I can't think of a worse song... I just > can't describe how bad it is.. just cursing and country music and crap... "Piss Up A Rope" is a nasty, icky, misogynistic song of the worst kind... or is it? Is it simply a parody of the content of similar country songs? While I can't say I enjoy "Piss Up A Rope" (or most of "12 Golden Country Greats"), I think maybe we should give pause and consider what Ween's really doing in the song, before immediately condemning it. "12 Golden Country Greats" is in no way representative of Ween... they don't even appear on the album, they just wrote the songs, hired real country musicians to play them, and that's it. It appears to have been an elaborate joke. -Chris Stangl ------------------------------ Message-ID: <350DBC28.64FC@geocities.com> Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 15:56:24 -0800 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: TMBG: Childlike Music (was Re: TMBG: TMBG vs Marilyn Manson) Happyfroot wrote: > it actually sounds kinda playful & child-like > (words that I often hear associated with some of TMBG's songs, probably > due to > the Tiny Toons relation...) The Tiny Toons relation certainly contributed to the image of TMBG's music as childlike, but it's not the only factor to consider. The Johns covered a kids' song (WDTSS?), and sing songs about kids ("Toddler Hiway") and childhood ("A rock to wind a piece of string around" seems to me to be a reference to youth). Some of Their songs have a nursery rhyme style to them ("Dinner Bell" being a good example, especially with that "Shoulder, bicep, elbow, arm" part), and simple lyrics. (The latter is certainly not always true. One of the things I admire about the Johns is Their large vocabulary, which is made obvious in such songs as "O Do Not Forsake Me.") Also, "Then" ends with a recording of children singing "Particle Man." There's quite a bit of childishness and playfulness to Their music, even without the Tiny Toons connection (although I definitely would not consider TMBG to be a children's band). -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980316151055.0099db10@mail.csrlink.net> Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 15:10:55 -0500 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: Re: TMBG: We hate Spin! We do? (Was-TMBG vs Marilyn Manson) >jason "still pissed off at that Spin thing" glastetter > >P.S.- Email the online editor online editor of Spin at SPINspy@aol.com & tell >him Spin Sucks!!! Woah there. Before we take our holy crusade against Spin TOO far, you may wanna re-read the post about the article. The article on One Hit Wonders never said anything bad about TMBG, unless you count "wiseacre" which I don't. I'm reposting it below- flipping through this months issue of spin magazine (w/ madonna on the cover) they have an "article" on one-hit wonders... of which they have listed: WEEN "Push Th' Little Daisies" 1993 Charm: psycho-naive mumbling over captain and tennille keyboard riff Fatal Flaw: They Might Be Annoying: the world didn't need another wiseacre duo Magic Moment: sounded even better when sung by Beavis and Butt-head. Dylan "Still recovering from three weeks of mono, but was never as sick as Mike Leffell got" Flipse Also, in my opinion, Spin DOES suck. But that's just because trendy, bleh "music scene" that it promotes. Dylan Flipse...one of them. - dflipse@csrlink.net Dylan's page is at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ for now. I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed -They Might Be Giants, the coolest thing this side of Zaphod Beeblebrox. ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: more ween and otherstuff.. Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 20:18:30 +0000 (GMT) Message-Id: From: NJ Powell Hello people, I'm sure that someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I do believe that Birdhouse only got to no.3 in March '90 in Britain. I saw the video when it was no.6 on that bastion of all things Popular, Top of the Pops.... Still, it has passed into the collective consciousness here as a Pop Song. I can recount many people asking me if They are in fact British, which I always love! And my mum swears GLR radio in London once had a competition for people to ring in and sing it. Ween; I have a quote on my wall from a review of Freedom of '76, which I have to admit I've never heard. "Like a They Might Be Giants for people with nice smelling friends". I do not understand this. All my friends are most fragrant. Nicola ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 14:03:10 -0700 Subject: TMBG: mondegreens Message-ID: <19980316.140315.3342.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) hEY HEy! i finally remembered one... in I've Got A Match i always thought that it was "you're embracing my collapse" take it easy, :::JOrdaN::: " I think the biggest problem people have with the band is the idea that our actions are somehow motivated by any perception of the outside world. We're the most self-unaware, uniformed individuals that you could magine." ---JOhN Flansburgh _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 15:59:46 -0500 Subject: TMBG: postcard/ and a ? Message-ID: <19980316.160000.6462.0.gray42@juno.com> yeah, I went and checked my mail and to my suprise, I found a TMBG postcard/flyer smiling up at me, giving me the tour dates for Florida. This is a big deal to me for two reasons, I like to collect TMBG flyers for their cool artwork and happy memories to put in my scrapbook, and I'm not really in the info club (at least I thought I wasn't) and it was addressed to me as well as my sister (who is currently living in Chicago so she hardly needs it). Well if anyone else in florida has gotten it, look at the front, wouldn't that make an awesome sticker, the part w/ the Johns and the giant words of They Might Be Giants, is there any kind of copyright law that says I can't do that? now for an off topic question... Someone on the list, I don't remember who, mentioned that some Ween fans are into drugs, w/ their far out music (and believe me, some of my Ween fan friends are totally into drugs). I was just wondering about the percentege of listies who are "Straight Edge" or drug-free, just curious, if u don't mind my asking. Mysterio Gal "They've Garble Warble Fashes" --Slartibartfast ICQ# 9585405 gray42@juno.com _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 14:19:52 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: i can't stand here listening to you and your fragrant friends... Message-ID: On Mon, 16 Mar 1998, NJ Powell wrote: > Ween; I have a quote on my wall from a review of Freedom of '76, > which I have to admit I've never heard. "Like a They Might Be Giants for > people with nice smelling friends". I do not understand this. All my > friends are most fragrant. maybe they mean 'friends that smell like pot'? --jim kuemmerle, who doesn't think he'd call pot 'fragrant', exactly... ps: jim, i accept your challenge! en garde!! :) "Re: Rob Alahson, OSHA laborer..." j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu SKULL MOUNTAIN: we'll meet at the end of the tour... http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/skullmountain.html ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980316212655.006b9dc8@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 15:26:55 -0600 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: I Palindrome I >Let's start out simple... >I Madonna, an nod am I. > >A little more complicated now... >Oi! Sack Cape Magic. I game pack Casio. > >Now for the mother of all palindromes... >E. Sonnie Rita's DNA mug ross time salad alas emits sorgum and satire in >nose. I'm sorry to ask this, but: Aint palindromes s'posed to make some since. They are s'posed to be real sentances... That's what I always thought. well I'll palindrome it out to. "God, No! I be web, I on dog." OK, I won't be mean about your palindrome not making since, I see they are very difficult to make up. I prefer word palindromes. LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ From: Dr Worm X Message-ID: <659c6635.350d9c66@aol.com> Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 16:40:54 EST Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: BFF I actually first bought WAEA because of 1AD&200SF. I was actually quite happy with the album, and I might even think that brick is the worst song on the record. Matt Turn around, turn around, it's a human skull on the ground You're so 1990, and it's 1994 The squirrels and the birds come, gather round to sing the guitar Satan couldn't hang ten, he could only hang four http://members.tripod.com/~drworm (SIGN MY GUESTBOOK!) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980316163511.00691ccc@pop.indy.net> Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 16:35:11 -0500 From: rachel Subject: TMBG: help! i have tried repeatedly (2 to be exzact) to download a mp3 player but to no avail. i mean, they download fine, i suppose, but when i attempt to play files i instead hear the most horrific sounds coming from my computer. any suggestions? i would hate to miss out on all the oogles of mp3 material out there. lovies, rachel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980316164922.006917ec@pop.indy.net> Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 16:49:22 -0500 From: rachel Subject: Re: TMBG: druginess I >was just wondering about the percentege of listies who are "Straight >Edge" or drug-free, just curious, if u don't mind my asking. > i'm drug-free but i don't like to call myself "straight edge." i've always thought that in order to be sraight edge you had to listen to the music too- which i can't stand. and all the straight edgers i've met are a-holes. (although i'm sure if there are straight edgers on the list they're really nice). but then again i've never met a s.e. who likes tmbg, which is always a good reason (in my opinion) to dislike someone. :) all my friends who listen to tmbg happen to be drug free too, which rasies the question, where do the johns fall on this topic? i know they drink but i've never heard of them using drugs. anyone? lovies, rachel ------------------------------ From: Dr Worm X Message-ID: Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 16:55:30 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: postcard/ and a ? me is straight edge Matt "hasnt't touched a cigarette in his life" Kay Turn around, turn around, it's a human skull on the ground You're so 1990, and it's 1994 The squirrels and the birds come, gather round to sing the guitar Satan couldn't hang ten, he could only hang four http://members.tripod.com/~drworm (SIGN MY GUESTBOOK!) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980316221016.00699b74@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 16:10:16 -0600 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: druginess I don't use drugs, nor do I want to, but I listen to Ween, (and enjoy them alot) so I find these stereotypes completely wrong. Just because a band I like likes pot, doesn't mean I like pot. Hell, I like Jimmi Hendrix and he died of a drug overdose. So for those people who think this crap, (drugs and such) the music you listen to decides wheather you like drugs or not, here lemme tell you about one of my friends. He uses drugs, though he doesn't tell me about it anymore or I'd kick his ass, and he likes TMBG. LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980316170607.009a1850@mail.csrlink.net> Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 17:06:07 -0500 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: Re: TMBG: druginess+Ithaca Show >i'm drug-free but i don't like to call myself "straight edge." i've always >thought that in order to be sraight edge you had to listen to the music >too- which i can't stand. and all the straight edgers i've met are a-holes. >(although i'm sure if there are straight edgers on the list they're really >nice). but then again i've never met a s.e. who likes tmbg, which is always >a good reason (in my opinion) to dislike someone. :) all my friends who >listen to tmbg happen to be drug free too, which rasies the question, where >do the johns fall on this topic? i know they drink but i've never heard of >them using drugs. anyone? > I have to agree here. I don't do drugs but I'm not straight edge. I meet SE people and they seem to have this "I am a punk and a rebel because I obey the law" thing going. Which of course doesn't quite make sense. I dunno, just the SE people I know rub me the wrong way. As for TMBG and drugs, well, the only thing I can think of is a quote I'm about to paraphrase. John-"Someone in the front row is smoking some reall stale pot. If you're going to do drugs in public, at least do good drugs so the rest of us can enjoy the contact high." It went something like that. I also remember a post from sometime last year from someone who "personally knew of at least two times when John Linnell was high." These are both coming from deep in my personal memory banks which are as reliable as Mike Leffel's hard drive. On a personal note, my sister's name is Rachel and it always freaks me out for just one little second to get mail from the rachel at eck@pop.indy.net. =) Now on to the May 3 Ithaca show. I think I've made about 10 calls to the general Ithaca area. I've been very, very worried that the show is some kind of mistake. First, if you go to Wilma.com, the show is listed as being at The Fieldhouse. I tracked that down to being at Cornell, but was informed that it's an athletic place. Someone did tell me, however, that there is a "cafeteria like deal where you might have a concert." At www.pollstar.com they recently added this show. The only difference is that they just say it's at Cornell. *Shrug* I've called there, no one seems to know much about it. The most helpful thing I've heard is to check back in mid-April. Tmbg.com does not have this show up, but its dates only go to April 26 so far. They are recently updated, with a Pittsburgh show among others. Too bad that's a Wednesday night. Basically, I'm looking for other concert-finding sites that might provide more info. I have this great big plan for going to this show with friends and such, and would just hate to see them dashed. Oh yah, and I added my entry to Skull Mountain which should be up as soon as Jim "The Man" K. gets around to it. Speaking of which, wouldn't it be possible to have a form that would automatically make the page. I'm thinking that you could even use your guestbook for this. See how that would work? That would be neat. Dylan "I should spend less time rambling to the list, and more time making of three weeks worth of work. Surface area of this polyhedron my ass." Flipse Dylan Flipse...one of them. - dflipse@csrlink.net Dylan's page is at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ for now. I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed -They Might Be Giants, the coolest thing this side of Zaphod Beeblebrox. ------------------------------ From: BenMoobil Message-ID: <357dc04d.350da4b0@aol.com> Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 17:16:13 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: druginess In a message dated 3/16/98 4:13:16 PM Central Standard Time, NJack@CYBNETONLINE.COM writes: << Hell, I like Jimmi Hendrix and he died of a drug overdose. >> actually Jimmi dies drowning in his on vomit as he slept not an overdose as is commonly believed . The Ben ------------------------------ From: BenMoobil Message-ID: <142fe751.350da634@aol.com> Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 17:22:41 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Ithaca Show In a message dated 3/16/98 4:14:38 PM Central Standard Time, dflipse@csrlink.net writes: << Now on to the May 3 Ithaca show. I think I've made about 10 calls to the general Ithaca area. I've been very, very worried that the show is some kind of mistake. First, if you go to Wilma.com, the show is listed as being at The Fieldhouse. I tracked that down to being at Cornell, but was informed that it's an athletic place. Someone did tell me, however, that there is a "cafeteria like deal where you might have a concert." At www.pollstar.com they recently added this show. The only difference is that they just say it's at Cornell. >> fieldhouse is usually the name for the gymnasium at a college it is usually located next to the football or soccer field , The Ben ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 17:32:46 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Myrtle Beach show Message-ID: <19980316.173246.10118.0.jbparke@juno.com> From: jbparke@juno.com (Jeff Parker) If anyone reading this needs a ticket to the Myrtle Beach show Mar. 21st, or knows someone who does, PLEASE e-mail me... I have a friend who won't be able to go and I need to get rid of the ticket... Thanx... That's it... v^v Jeffro v^v P.S. I went to the Gemm.com website someone posted to the list and they had lots of cool TMBG singles and stuff... I got the Istanbul single, Don't Let's Start single, and a cool 3" CD of the They'll Need a Crane single... Check it Out! _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 15:47:41 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: non-TMBG: jimi hendrix Message-ID: On Mon, 16 Mar 1998, BenMoobil wrote: > << Hell, I like Jimmi Hendrix and he > died of a drug overdose. >> > > actually Jimmi dies drowning in his on vomit as he slept not an overdose > as is commonly believed . you're both right: the vomit he drowned on was induced by sleeping pills, but it seems quite unlikely that he was (a) taking them for suicide purposes, or (b) taking them for recreational purposes. why an overdose, then? IIRC, he was in germany at the time, and the custom there (is? was?) for the pills to be broken for proper dosage. so he ended up taking 4 times as much as he actually wanted to, or something like that. i think we need to stop sending musicians to germany. jimi hendrix died there, eric dolphy died there, maybe a couple other people died there too. --jim kuemmerle, who is offering an kenny g all-expenses-paid trip to to berlin, complete with road movie... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu SKULL MOUNTAIN: we'll meet at the end of the tour... http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/skullmountain.html ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980316175309.00985db0@mail.csrlink.net> Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 17:53:09 -0500 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: Re: non-TMBG: jimi hendrix At 03:47 PM 3/16/98 -0700, you wrote: >jimi hendrix died there, eric dolphy died there, maybe a couple other people died >there too. > Couple. Like Hitler. Dylan "Tee-hee" Flipse *I don't know HOW to work Mike Leffel into this message. Perhaps I should ask if anyone knows any way to contact him. That would be good. He once (After the tailbone incident.) mentioned that he could be reached by his best friend.* Dylan Flipse...one of them. - dflipse@csrlink.net Dylan's page is at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ for now. I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed -They Might Be Giants, the coolest thing this side of Zaphod Beeblebrox. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980316230027.25211.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Jason F." Subject: TMBG: Pittsburgh show Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 15:00:26 PST Does anyone on the list by chance live in the Pittsburgh area besides me? If so, do you know anything about the TMBG show on April 22? I hope you don't need a Duquesne student I.D. to get in, as was the case in the recent CMU show... ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 17:29:42 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: druginess Message-ID: <19980316.172956.10422.1.gray42@juno.com> I'm what you'd call a non pushy straight edger many people have given straight edgedness a bad name, because they go around beating people up who differ in drug beliefs, if I went around beating people up I'd loose all my closest friends, tho' I do tend to worry about them in their drug using. Straight Edge came from a stamp that people would get at concerts if they were to young to buy drugs or were just against it. To make this TMBG related I would like to mention some of They's lyrics that I found very interesting from "Your Own Worst Enemy" about how the guys job is to get drunk and he gets payed in the brain. I happen to be very fond of that bit for some reason. Mysterio Gal "They've Garble Warble Fashes" --Slartibartfast ICQ# 9585405 gray42@juno.com _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Dr Worm X Message-ID: <4665dd5f.350db080@aol.com> Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 18:06:42 EST Subject: Non-TMBG:The mother of all palindromes Here is a palindrome that makes everyone else's look sorry: T Eliot top bard, notes putrid tang emanating, is sad. I'd assign it a name: gnat dirt upset on drab pot toilet Matt "Master of palindromes" turn around, turn around, it's a human skull on the ground you're so 1990, and it's 1994 the squirrels and the birds come, gather round to sing the guitar http://members.tripod.com/~drworm (SIGN MY GUESTBOOK!) ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 16 Mar 98 18:10 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: druginess > >I don't use drugs, nor do I want to, but I listen to Ween, (and enjoy them >alot) so I find these stereotypes completely wrong. I'm drug free, and as far as I know, my buddy Rockford who loves Ween and TMBG almost equally (I think the TMBG obsession runs a tad deeper) is also a non-druggie. O'course, now that he's been at college for six months, I'm not entirely sure anymore, but... ;) Kirsten -- |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| "Peggy, I'm tryin' to hold off an outbreak here, and you're drivin' the monkey to the airport!" - Hank Hill "King of the Hill )*(*)*(*)Kirsten Brodbeck*kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu*AKA Crow(*)*(*)*( ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 16:18:13 -0700 (MST) From: jim Subject: Re: TMBG: I Palindrome I Van & Buren Ne Rub Nav Message-ID: > I'm sorry to ask this, but: > > Aint palindromes s'posed to make some since. They are s'posed to be real > sentances... That's what I always thought. well I'll palindrome it out to. > > "God, No! I be web, I on dog." > > OK, I won't be mean about your palindrome not making since, I see they are > very difficult to make up. I prefer word palindromes. > > LDB Not a problem LDB, but I don't thing any Palindrome makes complete since but they are a great way to procrastinate while studying for a midterm (which I think I failed.) *#* Just remember Kenetics is the root of all evil. *#* Ok, and now on to clarification. In Amistad, Van Buren did everything in his Presidental power to keep the African slaves from the Amistad from being set free (this included breaking checks and balances by hand picking a judge to give a verdict in which the Africans would stay slaves.) He did all of this so that he would be re-elected President and also to hold off feelings of aggression from them rich Southern Plantation owners. So why do the History books (and "James K. Polk") refer to him as an abolitionist? -jim ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 16:21:17 -0700 (MST) From: jim Subject: Re: Non-TMBG:The mother of all palindromes Message-ID: On Mon, 16 Mar 1998, Dr Worm X wrote: > Here is a palindrome that makes everyone else's look sorry: > > T Eliot top bard, notes putrid tang emanating, is sad. I'd assign it a name: > gnat dirt upset on drab pot toilet > > Matt "Master of palindromes" Damn STRAIGHT! Matt is the "Master of palindromes!" Jim, it is up to you to destroy Matt's insanely long palindrome by one of your own ungodly creations, for I am palindromed out! -jim ------------------------------ From: WeirdGiant Message-ID: Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 19:07:31 EST Subject: Re: TMBG:The mother of all palindromes Here's another: go hang a salami, I'm a lasagna hog ~Tintin ------------------------------ From: WeirdGiant Message-ID: Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 19:29:21 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: druginess I, and all my TMBG listening friends, are drug-free (actually, I'm not so sure about one of them...I think he does nutmeg, which I'm heard is a hallucinagan (sp?) ..scary). anyway, I do also listen to Phish and I only know one other Phish phan that doesn't do drugs..all the rest do. Hmm.. Oh well. For some weird reason I thought I'd share ~Tintin ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199803170036.TAA02886@sable.cc.vt.edu> Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 19:41:42 +0500 From: higs Subject: TMBG: TMBG & drugs Yeah, i'm pretty close to being straight edge (except for beating up druggies and such), but i heard that They did hardcore drugs. of course, i have no idea if this is true because the source was my sisters boyfriend, who was a major pothead himself. Anyway, he used to work at some concert pavillion cleaning up after the bands that played there. he said after a TMBG concert, there were all kinds of drugs like pot and needles (for injecting herion?) in their dressing room. but i don't know if that's true. however, i also remember hearing Them on some radio show and Linnell was talking about before they formed a band. he said he spent the 70s walking around in a constant drug daze, but didn't mind admitting it because he didn't do drugs anymore. i guess it's true if he said it. but i don't really care what they do in their private time. just thought you might care, though. ------------------------------ From: Hj bttrben Message-ID: <36852d3d.350dcbb2@aol.com> Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 20:02:40 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Straight Edge Origins In a message dated 98-03-16 18:06:06 EST, gray42@juno.com writes: << Straight Edge came from a stamp that people would get at concerts if they were to young to buy drugs or were just against it. >> I dunno where you heard this, but it is totally wrong. The term STRAIGHT EDGE was coined by the hardcore band "Minor Threat" in the early 1980's. It is the name of a song about how the lead singer doesnt do drugs and he hates everyone who does them. It was popular during the shows for the lead singer to preach about not doing drugs: to "X" out drugs completely. he would draw X'es all over his body during the show. Being Straight Edge became more popular with the masses when NOFX covered that song on their 1993 album "White Trash, Two Heebs, and a Bean". Adam "The encyclopedia of music knowledge" Handelman ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 17:12:26 -0800 (PST) From: "E. Fjellanger" Subject: Re: TMBG: help! Message-ID: I've been getting that too! What site did you download the mp3 from? I suspect that it's the file and not the player. I'm using Winamp. Also, I wonder if you're using Internet Explorer 4. That seems to be causing some other problems for me. Eric Fjellanger That's all I can think of, but I'm sure there's something else... On Mon, 16 Mar 1998, rachel wrote: > i have tried repeatedly (2 to be exzact) to download a mp3 player but to no > avail. i mean, they download fine, i suppose, but when i attempt to play > files i instead hear the most horrific sounds coming from my computer. any > suggestions? i would hate to miss out on all the oogles of mp3 material out > there. > > lovies, > rachel > ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 18:20:33 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: Non-TMBG:The mother of all palindromes Message-ID: On Mon, 16 Mar 1998, jim wrote: > > Here is a palindrome that makes everyone else's look sorry: > > > > T Eliot top bard, notes putrid tang emanating, is sad. I'd assign it a name: > > gnat dirt upset on drab pot toilet > > > > Matt "Master of palindromes" > > Damn STRAIGHT! Matt is the "Master of palindromes!" Jim, it is up to you > to destroy Matt's insanely long palindrome by one of your own ungodly > creations, for I am palindromed out! fear not, O jim!! after tinkering around a bit, i came up with a warning for the president-elect of the union of tmbg fans NOT to unnecessarily bug the president of south korea with another one of his oddball questions: *** mike "risks at nod a tall e" leffEl, /el lata/ don't ask sire Kim! *** (lata is, i think, spanish for 'pest' or 'bore': i'm not sure whether it should be masculine or feminine.) --jim kuemmerle, who shall now (gasp!) STOP procrastinating and get back to work on his final exams... btw, matt: did you make the T. Eliot one up yourself? j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ SKULL MOUNTAIN: we'll meet at the end of the tour... http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/skullmountain.html ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #4-439 ******************************