Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #4-440 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 4, Number 440 Wednesday, 18 March 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: No, this is the one that makes all others look sorry Re: TMBG: NON - TMBG(and other stufF) + Ween TMBG: non-tmbg: word-level and other such palindromes Re: TMBG: Straight Edge Origins Re: TMBG:The mother of all palindromes Re: TMBG:The mother of all palindromes TMBG: martin van buren, a former president, and an opportuna-ist... Re: Non-TMBG:The mother of all palindromes TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #4-439 Re: TMBG: Pittsburgh show Re: TMBG:The mother of all palindromes TMBG: non-tmbg: what was the question again? TMBG: Pittsburgh show. TMBG: non-tMBg gBMt-non: Palindromes vs Kinetics TMBG: Not very TMBG-straight edge stuff Re: TMBG: TMBG & drugs Re: TMBG: Pittsburgh show. NONTMBG: MP3 files, being currept Re: TMBG: TMBG & drugs RE: TMBG: druginess TMBG: Pittsburgh show Re: TMBG: Myrtle Beach show TMBG: 3" cds Re: TMBG: Myrtle Beach show Re: TMBG: Myrtle Beach show Re: TMBG: 3" cds NON-TMBG: Bereft Re: NON-TMBG: Bereft RE: TMBG: druginess TMBG: TMBG- Compilation Fun Re: TMBG: tMBg: I got one for you... Re: TMBG: tMBg: I got one for you... Re: TMBG: TMBG- Compilation Fun TMBG: I'm back again Re: TMBG: Myrtle Beach show Re: TMBG: TMBG- Compilation Fun Re: TMBG: 3" cds Non-TMBG: Palindromes / Drugs TMBG: DC & Baltimore Re: TMBG: DC & Baltimore Re: TMBG:3" CDS Re: TMBG:3" CDS TMBG: shoehorn with teeth Non-TMBG: 3 inch CDs Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 17:35:56 -0800 (PST) From: "E. Fjellanger" Subject: TMBG: No, this is the one that makes all others look sorry Message-ID: Okay, y'all asked for it. This is the mother of all palindromes, accept no phony imposters! As you see, this was posted to the newsgroup a couple of years ago. Hey, everyone, pick up your jaws off the floor... Eric Fjellanger That's all I can think of, but I'm sure there's something else... ---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 14:37:44 GMT From: "Frank J. Perricone" Newsgroups: alt.music.tmbg Subject: Re: TMBG quotes -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- On 23 Dec 1996 11:43:33 GMT, martinbors@aol.com (MartinBors) wrote: > The entire bridge of "I Palindrome I" is stunning...starting with, "son, I > am able..." > > how do they do it??? Ummm.... there are whole *books* that are written as word-level palindromes like this. In fact, there was even a short novel written as a letter-level palindrome once. J. A. Lindon, one of the best and most famous palindromists of history, wrote many word-level palindromes, like this one: LOVE IS THIS AND THIS IS LOVE by J. A. Lindon Darling, my love Is great, so great; Recalling Heaven's calm above. Fate is sweet this -- All after Fall! Fall? After all, This, sweet, is fate -- Above calm Heaven's reacalling. Great, so great is Love, my darling! It's possible that TMBG's chorus is a standard and well-known word-level palindrome. "Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age" is on a list of common palindromic sentences I have from a 1973 book "Palindromes and Anagrams" which in turn credits the list to even earlier sources. It goes on for about five pages. I haven't found the "Son, I am able" one yet, but if I do, it'll probably be a Lindon or perhaps from Leigh Mercer. The type of words used in the bridge are very common in palindromia. Here's yet another great Lindon one, in which a whole line is the unit: DOPPELGANGER I Entering the lonely house with my wife I saw him for the first time Peering furtively from behind a bush-- Blackness that moved A shape amid the shadows, A momentary glimpse of gleaming eyes Revealed in the ragged moon. A closer look (he seemed to turn) might have Put him to flight forever-- I dared not (For reasons that I failed to understand), Though I knew I should act at once. II I puzzled over it, hiding alone, Watching the woman as she neared the gate. He came, and I saw him crouching Night after night. Night after night. He came, and I saw him crouching Watching the woman as she neared the gate. III I puzzled over it, hiding alone, Though I knew I should act at once. For reasons that I failed to understand I dared not Put him to flight forever. IV A closer look (he seemed to turn) might have Revealed in the ragged moon A momentary glimpse of gleaming eyes A shape amid the shadows, Blackness that moved. V Peering furtively from behind a bush, I saw him, for the first time, Entering the lonely house with my wife. -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: 2.6.2 Comment: public key available by finger or on my web page iQB1AwUBMr6ZM8yfEemBueK1AQHVkAL9HSarp0mvYFyI7ztV6WPxAftdhUPKIO/V QZTmaANyUV9gF37JoVqCYywbraJ9WU/cNJ/aAe7mE4JASIZ5nVkVAqQsYMQuKGFV VqC0UbV4QXOl2QuFJmlYQEp3i5c564sn =qo/v -----END PGP SIGNATURE----- -- * Frank J. Perricone * hawthorn@sover.net * http://www.sover.net/~hawthorn Just because we aren't all the same doesn't mean we have nothing in common ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 20:53:16 -0500 (EST) From: 99 and 44/100% MIKe! Subject: Re: TMBG: NON - TMBG(and other stufF) + Ween Message-ID: On Mon, 16 Mar 1998, Christopher M. Stangl wrote: > > "12 Golden Country Greats" is in no way representative of Ween... > they don't even appear on the album, they just wrote the songs, hired real > country musicians to play them, and that's it. It appears to have been an > elaborate joke. > -Chris Stangl > This is not remotely true. Gene and Dean do play and sing on the record, just as they did live in concert as they performed the bulk of the record on stage. While this is a stylistic departure from the rest of their catalogue, it is in no way a joke and is in keeping with the varying, and, I find, maturing, tone of their last few records. I find the assertion that they did not play on the record to be absurd and erroneous. And of course, TMBG are no stranger to the world of country music, as they have gleefully fused this erstwhile-annoying genre into their brand of pop. An entire record of country-inflected tunes would be startling, to be sure, but by no means automatically some sort of calculated ruse, and it is wrong to assume that Ween intended 12 Golden Country Greats to be that. It is simply a unique piece of work from a band who seem to improve as time goes on. MIKe *TMBG Info Club ID No: 18902* THE COOLEST PLACE TO BE - Mr Flippy's Red Light Funtime Party Hour --->http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy<--- AND: Check out the webzine JournalX at www.journalx.com ________________________________________________________________ "If you really want to hurt your parents and you don't have nerve enough to be homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts." --Kurt Vonnegut ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 19:34:51 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg: word-level and other such palindromes Message-ID: well, sure, if you're going to count THOSE as palindromes, (which i do, but just of a different sort; those never jump to mind as palindromes unless so prompted,) how about this one? it's a bit more abstract than 'doppelganger', but it was intended as such... ---------------------------- Breath Jim Kuemmerle April 10, 1994 4:25 pm Breathe deep forty nights of sevens hang precipitously over your head and seven nights of whats to come nothing is forever not even diamonds or the american dream for the universe to die twisted like a baritone sax gnarled and clutching at its belly quick and listening to the wound inside the skin is not dignified but not everything is dignity but the universe does not die it merely turns inside out and what lives and moves inside is shown forth and form absorbs what came before and in turn and in turn groans and screams resolves its fantasy folds inside and out like a sock folds and refolds clutches refolds and folds like a sock folds inside and out resolves its fantasy groans and screams and in turn and in turn absorbs what came before is shown forth and form and what lives and moves inside it merely turns inside out but the universe does not die is dignity not everything but is not dignified to the wound inside the skin quick and listening gnarled and clutching at its belly for the universe to die twisted like a baritone sax or the american dream not even diamonds nothing is forever and seven nights of whats to come forty nights of sevens hang precipitously over your head Breathe deep * -------------------------------------- --jim kuemmerle, who must have been doing laundry when he wrote this... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu SKULL MOUNTAIN: we'll meet at the end of the tour... http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/skullmountain.html ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980316225412.0068ebfc@pop.indy.net> Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 22:54:12 -0500 From: rachel Subject: Re: TMBG: Straight Edge Origins At 08:02 PM 3/16/98 EST, you wrote: >In a message dated 98-03-16 18:06:06 EST, gray42@juno.com writes: > ><< Straight Edge came from a stamp that people would get at concerts if they > were to young to buy drugs or were just against it. >> > > >I dunno where you heard this, but it is totally wrong. The term STRAIGHT EDGE >was coined by the hardcore band "Minor Threat" in the early 1980's. It is >the name of a song about how the lead singer doesnt do drugs and he hates >everyone who does them. It was popular during the shows for the lead singer >to preach about not doing drugs: to "X" out drugs completely. he would draw >X'es all over his body during the show. Being Straight Edge became more >popular with the masses when NOFX covered that song on their 1993 album "White >Trash, Two Heebs, and a Bean". > > >Adam "The encyclopedia of music knowledge" Handelman > > well, i'm not expert on straight edginess but i beleive gray42@juno.com was refering to the marks that under 21ers get when they go to certian shows. i know they still do this today- when you're under 21 and can't be served alcohol you get a big "x" on your hand. i beleive this was then adopted into a straight edge symbol for not doing drugs or drinking. lovies, rachel ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 16 Mar 98 23:30 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.hhs.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG:The mother of all palindromes > >Here's another: > >go hang a salami, I'm a lasagna hog Anybody ever heard the Riders In the Sky sketch about Palindrome? "Palindrome, Palindrome, what's in a name? You say it forwards and backwards the same..." Kirsten -- |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| "Peggy, I'm tryin' to hold off an outbreak here, and you're drivin' the monkey to the airport!" - Hank Hill "King of the Hill )*(*)*(*)Kirsten Brodbeck*kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu*AKA Crow(*)*(*)*( ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes Message-ID: <24d872bb.350dfeba@aol.com> Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 23:40:24 EST Subject: Re: TMBG:The mother of all palindromes Heres a good one---- A man, a plan, a canoe, pasta, heros, rajahs, a coloratura, maps, snipe, percale, macaroni, a gag, a banana bag, a tan, a tag, a banana bag again (or a camel), a crepe, pins, Spam, a rut, a Rolo, cash, a jar, sore hats, a peon, a canal--Panama! Heres another--- Dennis, Nell, Edna, Leon, Nedra, Anita, Rolf, Nora, Alice, Carol, Leo, Jane, Reed, Dena, Dale, Basil, Rae, Penny, Lana, Dave, Denny, Lena, Ida, Bernadette, Ben, Ray, Lila, Nina, Jo, Ira, Mara, Sara, Mario, Jan, Ina, Lily, Arne, Bette, Dan, Reba, Diane, Lynn, Ed, Eva, Dana, Lynne, Pearl, Isabel, Ada, Ned, Dee, Rena, Joel, Lora, Cecil, Aaron, Flora, Tina, Arden, Noel, and Ellen sinned. OH, and dont forget this--- A man, a plan, a caret, a ban, a myriad, a sum, a lac, a liar, a hoop, a pint, a catalpa, a gas, an oil, a bird, a yell, a vat, a caw, a pax, a wag, a tax, a nay, a ram, a cap, a yam, a gay, a tsar, a wall, a car, a luger, a ward, a bin, a woman, a vassal, a wolf, a tuna, a nit, a pall, a fret, a watt, a bay, a daub, a tan, a cab, a datum, a gall, a hat, a fag, a zap, a say, a jaw, a lay, a wet, a gallop, a tug, a trot, a trap, a tram, a torr, a caper, a top, a tonk, a toll, a ball, a fair, a sax, a minim, a tenor, a bass, a passer, a capital, a rut, an amen, a ted, a cabal, a tang, a sun, an ass, a maw, a sag, a jam, a dam, a sub, a salt, an axon, a sail, an ad, a wadi, a radian, a room, a rood, a rip, a tad, a pariah, a revel, a reel, a reed, a pool, a plug, a pin, a peek, a parabola, a dog, a pat, a cud, a nu, a fan, a pal, a rum, a nod, an eta, a lag, an eel, a batik, a mug, a mot, a nap, a maxim, a mood, a leek, a grub, a gob, a gel, a drab, a citadel, a total, a cedar, a tap, a gag, a rat, a manor, a bar, a gal, a cola, a pap, a yaw, a tab, a raj, a gab, a nag, a pagan, a bag, a jar, a bat, a way, a papa, a local, a gar, a baron, a mat, a rag, a gap, a tar, a decal, a tot, a led, a tic, a bard, a leg, a bog, a burg, a keel, a doom, a mix, a map, an atom, a gum, a kit, a baleen, a gala, a ten, a don, a mural, a pan, a faun, a ducat, a pagoda, a lob, a rap, a keep, a nip, a gulp, a loop, a deer, a leer, a lever, a hair, a pad, a tapir, a door, a moor, an aid, a raid, a wad, an alias, an ox, an atlas, a bus, a madam, a jag, a saw, a mass, an anus, a gnat, a lab, a cadet, an em, a natural, a tip, a caress, a pass, a baronet, a minimax, a sari, a fall, a ballot, a knot, a pot, a rep, a carrot, a mart, a part, a tort, a gut, a poll, a gateway, a law, a jay, a sap, a zag, a fat, a hall, a gamut, a dab, a can, a tabu, a day, a batt, a waterfall, a patina, a nut, a flow, a lass, a van, a mow, a nib, a draw, a regular, a call, a war, a stay, a gam, a yap, a cam, a ray, an ax, a tag, a wax, a paw, a cat, a valley, a drib, a lion, a saga, a plat, a catnip, a pooh, a rail, a calamus, a dairyman, a bater, a canal--Panama. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 22:00:45 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: martin van buren, a former president, and an opportuna-ist... Message-ID: *** hypothesis: i think the problem stems from the fact that van buren was president from 1837-41, while he was running for president (on the Free Soil ticket) in 1844, and perhaps his attitudes changed over that span of time? *** methods: here's some info i was able to gather about his actual term: from http://www2.whitehouse.gov/WH/glimpse/presidents/html/mb8.html: > Inclined more and more to oppose the expansion of slavery, Van Buren > blocked the annexation of Texas because it assuredly would add to slave > territory--and it might bring war with Mexico. however, from http://www.grolier.com/presidents/ea/bios/08pvanb.html: > With his usual astuteness, the new president foresaw the rise of > antislavery sentiment in the North as a potential threat to party and > national unity. He assured the South that he would protect slavery in > the states where it existed and announced his opposition to the > abolition of the "peculiar institution" in the District of Columbia. that same site has this to say about the 1844 reelection bid: > From the moment of their defeat, the Democrats looked forward to a > vindication of Van Buren in 1844. If their convention had been held at > the end of 1843, as they originally had planned, his nomination would > have been a certainty. > > Van Buren went on a fence-mending Western tour in late 1842 and called > on Henry Clay, who expected to be the Whig contender in 1844. At > Ashland, Clay's Kentucky estate, the two made a gentlemen's agreement > to take a particularly divisive issue--the admission of Texas to the > Union--out of the 1844 campaign. Texas had been an independent republic > since revolting from Mexico in 1836. Antislavery spokesmen denounced the > Texas revolution as a gigantic plot to add more slave states to the > Union. > > Van Buren had declined to negotiate a treaty of annexation with Texas > during his presidency on the ground that Mexico had not recognized the > independence of its lost province, and so the Lone Star Republic had > waited outside the door for almost a decade. But expansionist sentiment > was on the rise in the South and West. President John TYLER of Virginia, > who succeeded Harrison when the old general died a month after his > inauguration, decided that annexation was popular and projected the > Texas issue into national politics. Clay and Van Buren agreed, at > Ashland, to take identical stands against immediate annexation, since > the issue threatened to split both parties. > > When Tyler presented a treaty of annexation to the Senate in the spring > of 1844, the issue assumed new proportions. Despite mounting pressure, > Van Buren refused to commit himself until April 27 when the Washington > Globe carried the text of a letter he had sent to a Mississippi > congressman. On that same day the National Intelligencer published a > similar letter written by Clay. The burden of both these lengthy > statements was opposition to the immediate annexation of Texas on > grounds of expediency. The Senate rejected Tyler's treaty, and the Whig > convention unanimously nominated Clay for the presidency. > Among Southern Democrats the repercussions of Van Buren's letter were > violent. Jackson, who had publicly endorsed annexation, was > thunderstruck and decided that Van Buren must give way to a nominee > committed to annexation. Many Southern delegates repudiated pledges to > vote for Van Buren. > When the Democratic convention met in Baltimore in May 1844, pro-Texas > forces succeeded in imposing the two-thirds rule for the nomination. On > the first ballot Van Buren had a simple majority, but his total fell on > each successive tally. After seven fruitless ballots the convention > adjourned. The next morning a stampede developed for Jackson's protg, > James K. POLK of Tennessee. On the ninth ballot Polk emerged as the > first "dark horse" nominee in convention history. > After hours of florid tribute to Van Buren, the convention adopted a > platform calling for the "reannexation of Texas" and "reoccupation of > Oregon." Van Buren rallied behind the ticket, persuading his > popular ally Silas Wright to run for the governorship of New York. > Wright narrowly carried the state for Polk, giving him the election. > During the turbulent Polk administration (1845-1849), the vast Mexican > cession was added to the Union, intensifying the sectional quarrel over > the extension of slavery. New York Democrats split into factions: Van > Buren's "Barnburners" and the "Hunkers," to whom Polk gave federal > patronage. The Barnburners supported the Wilmot Proviso's > nonextension-of-slavery principle and pledged its delegates to the > national convention in 1848 to withhold support from any candidate who > refused to endorse the proviso. When the convention attempted to exact > a loyalty oath from the delegates, the Barnburners walked out. The > subsequent nomination of Lewis Cass, a former governor of Michigan, > further embittered Van Buren's supporters, who held Cass responsible for > Van Buren's 1844 defeat. *** conclusion: so it looks like his opposition to the entry of texas into the union was the primary reason behind his reputation as an abolitionist, but it looks like even that was motivated by political concerns. *** epilogue: on a related note, that capitalized POLK on the website is a link, which leads to a site that relates: > Throughout his career Polk displayed a dogged devotion to old-fashioned > Jeffersonian principles, but he was not an imaginative statesman and > could not inspire strong devotion or--given his pronounced streak of > deviousness--even trust. To an impressive degree his political and > administrative skill got him what he wanted in the areas of domestic, > diplomatic, and military policy. Yet as leader of the Democratic party > he did little to halt the factional infighting that paved the way > for the Whig triumph of 1848 and the sectional crisis of 1849-1850. > During the latter part of his term he did struggle manfully to resolve > the dangerously divisive dispute over slavery in the territories. But > his insensitivity to the moral dimensions of the slavery question made > it impossible for him to understand the antislavery impulse, and it is > doubtful whether even a political genius could have settled the > question. --jim kuemmerle, who is struck by the parallels if you insert 'bush' for 'van buren', 'perot' for 'cass', and 'clinton' for 'polk'... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu SKULL MOUNTAIN: we'll meet at the end of the tour... http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/skullmountain.html ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 23:51:12 -0800 From: J Chen Subject: Re: Non-TMBG:The mother of all palindromes Um, That T.Eliot palindrome is a famous palindrome. There are a lot of famous long palindromes, including the expansion of "Dennis sinned," in which about a gazillion names are put in between those two words forming one humongous palindrome. My favorite palindrome that I didn't make up is: "Cigar? Toss it in a can! It is so tragic." My brother made one good one up: "Man a deli, Garfield! I'm idle? I, Fragile Dan, am." And, finally, the longest one I have memorized (another famous one): "Do good? I? No! Evil anon I deliver. I maim nine more hero-men in Saginaw. Sanitary sword a-tuck, Carol, I - Lo! - rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero-men in Miami. Reviled, I, Nona, live on. I do, O God!" --LVJeff ==========================_______________________________________... . . . | from LVJeff | Kerim Bey: "But I am already in your debt." | friend to Lan's tigers | James Bond: "How can a friend be in debt?" | alecson@ucla.edu | ========================== - From Russia with Love ------------------------------ Message-ID: <350E309C.8123FB95@bitstream.net> Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 02:13:16 -0600 From: vu Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #4-439 wow what a large digest (64k) this one.... > i have tried repeatedly (2 to be exzact) to download a mp3 player but to no > avail. i mean, they download fine, i suppose, but when i attempt to play > files i instead hear the most horrific sounds coming from my computer. any > suggestions? i would hate to miss out on all the oogles of mp3 material out > there. i have this problem with some mp3 radiohead files - it's not your player. i think there is a dos program called 'uncook' that decodes the static and shrieks... but i'm too lazy to find the url. of course it could be your computer/soundcard! about ween, i suppose i'm one of those rare tmbg fans that does not like ween. sorry. cheers vu -- http://www2.bitstream.net/~sleeper ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 06:23:43 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Pittsburgh show Message-ID: <19980317.062559.3326.0.yoda89@juno.com> From: yoda89@juno.com (James C Stiffey) On Mon, 16 Mar 1998 15:00:26 PST "Jason F." writes: >Does anyone on the list by chance live in the Pittsburgh area besides >me? If so, do you know anything about the TMBG show on April 22? I >hope >you don't need a Duquesne student I.D. to get in, as was the case in >the >recent CMU show... I didn't even know they were coming to pittsburgh again. I live in Monroeville (about 13 miles east of the city) When are they coming and where? I would be all to happy to meet a fellow listee. --- Love is like a snowmobile ride through the north. All of a sudden it flips over, trapping you underneath......At night, the Ice Weasels come. _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: BenMoobil Message-ID: Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 06:45:31 EST Subject: Re: TMBG:The mother of all palindromes In a message dated 3/16/98 10:43:17 PM Central Standard Time, HallOfEyes@aol.com writes: << OH, and dont forget this--- A man, a plan, a caret, a ban, a myriad, a sum, a lac, a liar, a hoop, a pint, a catalpa, a gas, an oil, a bird, a yell, a vat, a caw, a pax, a wag, a tax, a nay, a ram, a cap, a yam, a gay, a tsar, a wall, a car, a luger, a ward, a bin, a woman, a vassal, a wolf, a tuna, a nit, a pall, a fret, a watt, a bay, a daub, a tan, a cab, a datum, a gall, a hat, a fag, a zap, a say, a jaw, a lay, a wet, a gallop, a tug, a trot, a trap, a tram, a torr, a caper, a top, a tonk, a toll, a ball, a fair, a sax, a minim, a tenor, a bass, a passer, a capital, a rut, an amen, a ted, a cabal, a tang, a sun, an ass, a maw, a sag, a jam, a dam, a sub, a salt, an axon, a sail, an ad, a wadi, a radian, a room, a rood, a rip, a tad, a pariah, a revel, a reel, a reed, a pool, a plug, a pin, a peek, a parabola, a dog, a pat, a cud, a nu, a fan, a pal, a rum, a nod, an eta, a lag, an eel, a batik, a mug, a mot, a nap, a maxim, a mood, a leek, a grub, a gob, a gel, a drab, a citadel, a total, a cedar, a tap, a gag, a rat, a manor, a bar, a gal, a cola, a pap, a yaw, a tab, a raj, a gab, a nag, a pagan, a bag, a jar, a bat, a way, a papa, a local, a gar, a baron, a mat, a rag, a gap, a tar, a decal, a tot, a led, a tic, a bard, a leg, a bog, a burg, a keel, a doom, a mix, a map, an atom, a gum, a kit, a baleen, a gala, a ten, a don, a mural, a pan, a faun, a ducat, a pagoda, a lob, a rap, a keep, a nip, a gulp, a loop, a deer, a leer, a lever, a hair, a pad, a tapir, a door, a moor, an aid, a raid, a wad, an alias, an ox, an atlas, a bus, a madam, a jag, a saw, a mass, an anus, a gnat, a lab, a cadet, an em, a natural, a tip, a caress, a pass, a baronet, a minimax, a sari, a fall, a ballot, a knot, a pot, a rep, a carrot, a mart, a part, a tort, a gut, a poll, a gateway, a law, a jay, a sap, a zag, a fat, a hall, a gamut, a dab, a can, a tabu, a day, a batt, a waterfall, a patina, a nut, a flow, a lass, a van, a mow, a nib, a draw, a regular, a call, a war, a stay, a gam, a yap, a cam, a ray, an ax, a tag, a wax, a paw, a cat, a valley, a drib, a lion, a saga, a plat, a catnip, a pooh, a rail, a calamus, a dairyman, a bater, a canal--Panama. >> I do believe we have found a winner the ben ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 05:01:45 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg: what was the question again? Message-ID: not intending to be rude or anything, but wasn't the challenge originally to come up with your own palindromes? --jim kuemmerle, who's posted an awful lot today, but who will be off the list for 10 days or so starting wednesday, so it all evens out? j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu SKULL MOUNTAIN: we'll meet at the end of the tour... http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/skullmountain.html ------------------------------ From: nmoos1@rachel.chatham.edu Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 09:24:43 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <199803171424.JAA07265@bird.taponline.com> Subject: TMBG: Pittsburgh show. In response to the posts about the prospective TMBG show at Duquesne... I, too, live in Pittsburgh. (whee) I had no idea that there would be a show nearby! I am hurt and confused. I am going to be spending a lot more time planning uses of mass transit. I am now going to stop writing sentences in this dull manner. (However, no palindromes. i'd rather study for a kinetics exam.) does anyone know the exact time and location of the show? such would be very useful information to have. the student ID thing can be worked around, I'm sure -- at the CMU show they only checked ID's about half the time. And there's probably some compassionate TMBG fan that would use his or her ID to buy tickets for us non-Duquesne heathens, if necessary. it would be cool to meet some of you Pittsburghers at the show. .. i think... oh and i don't like ween. sorry. i'm just a sourpuss when it comes to pallindromes and ween. so there. --pnaomi, the grump who trumps the grumps. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 08:31:00 -0700 (MST) From: jim Subject: TMBG: non-tMBg gBMt-non: Palindromes vs Kinetics Message-ID: On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, This really cool guy named Jim Kuemmerle wrote: > not intending to be rude or anything, but wasn't the challenge originally > to come up with your own palindromes? Yes, I believe in originality in all forms, but it is nice to see T.S. Elliot's palindromes appear too. Either way palindromes do beat the proverbial pants off of reaction rates and catalytic sites and grades of 40 out of 100 (the average of the midterm.) But hence, this too will pass and we will regress back to palindromes of a simpler nature and learn to appreciate holding our sentences up against all mirrors. One last palindrome from me. This is what you would hear if you were inside Marilyn Manson's head. EVIL! I LIVE! -jim "Someday mother will die and I'll get the money" ------------------------------ From: NitpickR Message-ID: <1e17f220.350ea32e@aol.com> Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 11:22:04 EST Subject: TMBG: Not very TMBG-straight edge stuff Hello 41- Well, first of all, let me put in what I have found as what straight edge really is. It's no drugs, no smoking, no alcohol, and no sex without love. And for the record, the guy that started it, Ian Mackeye (sp?) drinks now. 8^/ Yes, a lot of the straight edge people I've met are real jerks. They are obsessive, and treat being straight edge like a religion. A big turn off, I think. Some people are like that, but to a lesser extent. They just listen to hardcore music and are mean to other people. A bunch of so called straight edge people just do it as a trend or something like that. They also give it a bad name. Personally, I'm not straight edge, because I don't want to be associated with being categorized as straight edge, or anything else. Yet, I don't do drugs, smoke, drink, or partake in caffiene when it is unnatural or used as a drug (I won't drink coffee in order to keep me awake, and stuff like that). If someone asks me what I believe in, I'll tell them, but I'm not going to be a jerk about it and shove it down people's throats. I also like TMBG (obviously) Ween, and a lot of other bands that are blatantly drug induced. That type of message really doesn't offend or bother me, personally. Some of the things that it stands for I'm not behind, but a lot of people take music too seriously. Adam Rubens~ NitpickR@aol.com * arubens@iris.nyit.edu So, who's next on the beating list? Earthling Mary Hart. Finally, some entertainment tonight! -SGC2C ------------------------------ From: "Jason Thrower" Organization: Columbus State Univ.,Columbus, Ga. Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 12:49:03 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG & drugs Message-ID: <2CD9AC00B4@colstate.edu> The time They poited out how bad the pot smoke in NY comes to mind. John mentioned that they could buy better quality pot anywhere in NY, but I'm sure he only put it that way because the Johns already feel they are parenting at their concerts with all the marshing, and "throwing the dude" - JT "I don't have low Self-Esteen, I have low Esteen for others" Daria.. LaLaLa,LaLa ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 13:03:10 -0500 (EST) From: "Eric Webber (EIN tech)" Subject: Re: TMBG: Pittsburgh show. Message-ID: About the Pittsburgh show - I'm definitely going to be there as soon as I find out when it is for sure. Someone mentioned the CMU show and having to have CMU id to get in. Well, if you're referring to that show a few months ago, I went, and I don't have CMU id. But CMU students did get cheaper tickets. Anyway, I know a guy who goes to Duquesne. He could probably get tickets. Take it easy, Wubba --- Eric Webber - Electronic Information Network desk- 412.622.1944 page- 412.272.1854 webbere@clpgh.org wubba@tmbg.org p-wolves@mailexcite.com ------------------------------ From: "Jason Thrower" Organization: Columbus State Univ.,Columbus, Ga. Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 13:13:12 EST Subject: NONTMBG: MP3 files, being currept Message-ID: <2D40960008@colstate.edu> > > i have tried repeatedly (2 to be exzact) to download a mp3 player but to no > i have this problem with some mp3 radiohead files - it's not your player. i think > there is a dos program called 'uncook' that decodes the static and shrieks... but i'm > too lazy to find the url. of course it could be your computer/soundcard! Actually, I don't think that is his problem. I've recently had the exact problem. The way I worked around it was Downloading it with IE 3.0 instead of saving as with Netscape. Also with WinAmp Open The Location, and put in But luckily I found a way of using my favorite broswer and get all audio enhancments of the web; I was at cheap-cds.com and were downloading samples, when Netscape asked me how to deal with the file (instead of showing it in binary in the borswer). It saved how to deal with the x-audio/mp3 setting and I haven't had any problems since. If you need some more help, email me personally. - JT "I don't have low Self-Esteen, I have low Esteen for others" Daria.. LaLaLa,LaLa ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9803171934.AA06656@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG & drugs Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 14:34:28 -0500 (EST) > The time They poited out how bad the pot smoke in NY comes to mind. > John mentioned that they could buy better quality pot anywhere in NY, > but I'm sure he only put it that way because the Johns already feel > they are parenting at their concerts with all the marshing, and > "throwing the dude" > - It seems like everyone thinks the Johns are doing drugs, or they're preaching against drugs at their concerts from what they've said. It is possible they are doing or have done drugs, I wouldn't put it past a lot of people. It's true that the music biz and the entertainment biz has a lot of drugs in it. But there's also a lot of entertainers that wouldn't touch drugs. The feeling I get from the Johns is that they've been around. They don't seem the type to do or even really have done drugs, but they know about these things. They want to be humorous and tell jokes on stage and also appear that they "know the story" so they put in these references about drugs to show that they know what it's all about. But I don't think they're actually into drugs. -Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: "Jason Thrower" Organization: Columbus State Univ.,Columbus, Ga. Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 15:08:30 EST Subject: RE: TMBG: druginess Message-ID: <2F2C885BE5@colstate.edu> I'm not a str8 edge, but a devoted drug free guy. I never smoked a cigarette, and haven't even considered doing any drugs what so ever (I even try to avoid asprin when the rare headache hits). Me, and another very anit-drugie TMBG fan convinced our friend to stop the drugs. It took awhile, a couple nights of witch involved us debating the drug issues, but he is very happy we had those discussion now. He has turned for other things to find answers, like the TMBG lyrics that give him headaches from too much thought-provoking content. But then again, that is all my fault, I kept telling him there was so much more that he was missing besides Just the accordion, and the furry of Flan's guitar. I'm not sure if I converted him to be anti-drugie Before I converted him to be a fan of Them? Maybe I thought that was a requirement, maybe I wanted him to "meet the grade" of other TMBG fans, or maybe I just wanted to better his life through They Might Be Giants. - JT (aka Drunken Bird) Drug free is good for me, just don't take away my caffeine ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980317203302.1887.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Jason F." Subject: TMBG: Pittsburgh show Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 12:33:01 PST Well, now I'm mad I didn't go to the CMU show because when I called CMU they said you needed an I.D....but anyway, if anyone finds anything out about the Duquesne show on 4/22 let me know. I'll keep trying to get info myself. We could arrange to meet somewhere before or during the show if anyone's interested J'son, who's counting the days until Apr. 22 ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 15:23:17 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Myrtle Beach show Message-ID: <19980317.153131.14382.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> On Mon, 16 Mar 1998 17:32:46 -0500 jbparke@juno.com (Jeff Parker) writes: <> >P.S. I went to the Gemm.com website someone posted to the list and >they had lots of cool TMBG singles and stuff... I got the Istanbul >single, Don't Let's Start single, and a cool 3" CD of the They'll Need >a Crane single... Check it Out! <> This has always confused me? is this an actual 3 inch CD? like really small (anyone have that Politika demo? like that) because that would be cool.... does anyone remember Coke giving away Mini CDs? As I remember one song was about a guy who went halfway around the world to get a girlfriend... Anyway, I was just wondering about the size of that 3" CD Palindromes: uhhhh... "racecar?" Tim, who's pissed because the movers packed his Monkey 3 CD Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: They'll Need A Crane Last CD purchase: promo singles (although I'm looking at Ivy.. anyone have comments on them?) _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9803172029.AA06691@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: 3" cds Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 15:29:13 -0500 (EST) > >P.S. I went to the Gemm.com website someone posted to the list and > >they had lots of cool TMBG singles and stuff... I got the Istanbul > >single, Don't Let's Start single, and a cool 3" CD of the They'll Need > >a Crane single... Check it Out! > <> > > This has always confused me? is this an actual 3 inch CD? like really > small (anyone have that Politika demo? like that) because that would be > cool.... does anyone remember Coke giving away Mini CDs? As I remember > one song was about a guy who went halfway around the world to get a > girlfriend... Anyway, I was just wondering about the size of that 3" CD Well, I don't know if they are actually 3" in dimension, they perhaps look to be, but if you look at some CD players and you look at the CD tray and you notice a smaller, circular indentation inside the bigger, normal-sized CD place then you have found where you would put one of these 3" CDs. Both DLS and TNAK were 3" CD singles, very tiny CDs. Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980317154707.006a0c04@130.127.28.14> Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 15:47:07 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Myrtle Beach show At 03:23 PM 3/17/98 -0500, mr.train@juno.com wrote: > >This has always confused me? is this an actual 3 inch CD? like really >small (anyone have that Politika demo? like that) because that would be >cool.... does anyone remember Coke giving away Mini CDs? As I remember >one song was about a guy who went halfway around the world to get a >girlfriend... Anyway, I was just wondering about the size of that 3" CD Yup, I have the 3" DLS CD, and it's a very small CD. :) I think you have to have a CD player with a spindle (is that what they're called?) to play them. -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: "Jason Thrower" Organization: Columbus State Univ.,Columbus, Ga. Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 15:52:30 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Myrtle Beach show Message-ID: <2FE8467FAC@colstate.edu> > This has always confused me? is this an actual 3 inch CD? like really > small (anyone have that Politika demo? like that) because that would be > cool.... does anyone remember Coke giving away Mini CDs? As I remember > one song was about a guy who went halfway around the world to get a > girlfriend... Anyway, I was just wondering about the size of that 3" CD Yea, I only seen one in my life. It was a little Cd given out my coke. Some fad or promotion no daught, containing 4 songs. I kept starring at in in amazement, before finally putting it in my CD-ROM. It turns out (but it has been awhile, numbers can be off) that one of these minCDs can hold about 32 minutes or so of music. I remember that Factory Showroom could fit on one of those babies, and kind of liked the idea of putting Showroom in my pocket. The downside to these mini CDs is that car CD players can't play them (because of using the CD's size to keep things lined up) or many CD-ROMs, or another other CD player that don't grip it by the hole (by that sounds worse then it is :-o ) > Palindromes: > uhhhh... "racecar?" OH YEA!!? how about "I racecar I"? - JT (Drunken Bird) who actually never has been drunk but likes the idea of being of being in a drunken stupor of knowledge, expecally of Them. ------------------------------ From: "Jason Thrower" Organization: Columbus State Univ.,Columbus, Ga. Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 15:59:23 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: 3" cds Message-ID: <3005A66824@colstate.edu> > Well, I don't know if they are actually 3" in dimension, they perhaps > look to be, but if you look at some CD players and you look at the CD > tray and you notice a smaller, circular indentation inside the bigger, > normal-sized CD place then you have found where you would put one of > these 3" CDs. Both DLS and TNAK were 3" CD singles, very tiny CDs. I stand corrected. - JT (Drunken Bird) Who has recently lowered his read/write ratio to the list, and has more goodies for the list that he has had on his home PC for over a month. - JT "I don't have low Self-Esteen, I have low Esteen for others" Daria.. LaLaLa,LaLa ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot Message-ID: <80549af7.350eea8f@aol.com> Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 16:26:37 EST Subject: NON-TMBG: Bereft I was looking at the PUSA tribute album page & found something that sounded familiar... >>"Peaches" (acoustic) >>by: Bereft Was Bereft mentioned on this list (or perhpas IS someone on this list) or am I going completely insane??? jason ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980317173219.006a25fc@130.127.28.14> Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 17:32:19 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Bereft At 04:26 PM 3/17/98 EST, Happyfroot wrote: > >Was Bereft mentioned on this list (or perhpas IS someone on this list) or am I >going completely insane??? You're not insane. :) Bereft is going to be on the TMBG tribute album too. Bereft pretty much consists of 3 people, although we do most of the songs individually. We have a homepage at http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~ctyner/Bereft/ if you're interested. We'll probably record Peaches next week when we all get back from Spring Break. -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980317231014.8489.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Tom O'Connell" Subject: RE: TMBG: druginess Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 15:10:14 PST <<<...and the furry of Flan's guitar.>>> ....so exactly how furry is John Flansburgh's guitar? I've seen a couple of neat looking guitars of his, but never a furry one, huh. -Amadais ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 18:10:39 -0500 Subject: TMBG: TMBG- Compilation Fun Message-ID: <19980317.181058.7422.0.gray42@juno.com> Here's a cute idea, They has done so many songs that you could probably use the first letters of their songs to spell out THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS An example: T-he Bells Are Ringing H-ide Away Folk Family E-xquisite Dead Guy Y-our Own Worst Enemy M-r. Me I-'ve G-ot A Match H-all Of Heads T-urn Around B-ecome A Robot E-verything Right Is Wrong Again G-reek #3 I-'m Gettin' Sentimental Over You A- Self Called Nowhere N-ow That I have Everything T-oken Back To Brooklyn S-hoehorn With Teeth Mysterio Gal "They've Garble Warble Fashes" --Slartibartfast ICQ# 9585405 gray42@juno.com _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <350F06ED.63A7@geocities.com> Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 15:27:41 -0800 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: tMBg: I got one for you... Kim Justice wrote: > > Mormon Tabernacle Choir: Mammal > Shonen Knife: Ana Ng > Bette Midler: If I Wasn't Shy > [Spice Girls]: Number Three <> > Kraftwerk: Be a Robot > Bob Segar: We Want A Rock > Paul McCartney: Dinner Bell > Tool: Stompbox > Tom Petty: The Big Big Whoredom > Don Henley: Kiss Me, Son of God > Kate Bush: Spiraling Shape Cake: Where Your Eyes Don't Go The Dead Milkmen: Ana Ng (remember Punk Rock Girl?) Violent Femmes: Chess Piece Face (now THAT would be cool) The Rolling Stones: Dig My Grave Queen: Birdhouse In Your Soul -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "Is everything normal now?" "And crawling on the "Well, he hasn't got planet's face... some religious mania, and he's called the Human Race. not running around in a Lost in time, and lost circle spouting Gilbert in space... and Sullivan, so I guess ...and meaning." he's normal." ------------------------------ From: Dr Worm X Message-ID: <22c96cd4.350f08cd@aol.com> Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 18:35:39 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: tMBg: I got one for you... ha ha, the rolling stones doing dig my grave, ha. oh yeah, I remember the dead milkmen from Beavis and Butthead. Here's a few suggestions: The Bizarre Funk Trio: Fingertips Santa's Circus Monkeys: Stompbox Stun Bunny: Til My Head Falls Off Matt "likes to make fun of old people, and make up bands" turn around, turn around, it's a human skull on the ground you're so 1990, and it's 1994 the squirrels and the birds come, gather round to sing the guitar http://members.tripod.com/~drworm (SIGN MY GUESTBOOK!) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 16:39:10 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG- Compilation Fun Message-ID: this sounds like fun! Lady is a tramp Istanbul New york city Nevada Exquisite dead guy Lie still, little bottle Lucky ball and chain Ana ng Nothin's gonna change my clothes Dinner bell Fiorello la guardia Larger than life Alienation's for the rich Nightgown of the sullen moon Spacesuit --jim kuemmerle, who, oh, something or other. j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ SKULL MOUNTAIN: we'll meet at the end of the tour... http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/skullmountain.html ------------------------------ From: filthyscarecrow@webtv.net Message-Id: <199803172349.PAA21175@mailtod-152.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 18:49:05 -0500 Subject: TMBG: I'm back again Hey. Anyone remember me? Thought not. I used to be a frequent poster, but transformed to a lurker out of sheer laziness. But, because of this list, I bought a Dead Milkmen C.D., the Lincoln C.D., and the Candy Butchers EP. I love them all. A little news: TMBG are on a new compilation C.D. It's some Christmas thing. They have the song Santa's Beard and Mono Puff has Careless Sants on there, too. To find out more about it, go to www.cdnow.com, look up TMBG, then look at their list of compilation C.D.s. ************************************************* "If mommies can wear pants and Grown-ups can wear diapers, how come we can't wear dresses" -Chuckie Finster "The specialist won't hurt me, he's not like nuns. He's got a lot of pretty pills, I think I'll take some yellow ones" -Dead Milkmen "People should get beat up for statin' their beliefs" -They Might Be Giants 1=2 we hope that you choke ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 17 Mar 98 18:52 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Myrtle Beach show >Yea, I only seen one in my life. It was a little Cd given out my=20 >coke. Some fad or promotion no daught, containing 4 songs. I kept=20 >starring at in in amazement, before finally putting it in my CD-ROM.=20 I have one of those somewheres - it has a Firehouse song on it, "Don't Treat Me Bad," I believe, and one by the Killer Dwarves. I've had it longer than I've had a cd player. :) Crow -- |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| "Peggy, I'm tryin' to hold off an outbreak here, and you're drivin' the monkey to the airport!" - Hank Hill "King of the Hill )*(*)*(*)Kirsten Brodbeck*kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu*AKA Crow(*)*(*)*( ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 19:25:11 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG- Compilation Fun Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 17-Mar-98 TMBG: TMBG- Compilation Fun by gray42@juno.com > Here's a cute idea, They has done so many songs that you could probably > use the first letters of their songs to spell out THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS someone else I know and I tried a similar thing, more like the game 'geography.' in 'geography' you name countries, cities, geographical features, and stuff, and you can use anything, but it must begin with the last letter of the previous one mentioned. (you often get stuck in an 'A' loop on the US states and the continents :) so do the same for TMBG - songs, albums, people, instruments, venues, etc... something like Don't Let's Start They'll Need a Crane Everything Right is Wrong Again New York City ... and so on. to answer your particular question, though, howabout: They Might Be Giants (gotta love recursive acronyms :) Hey Mr. DJ, I Thought You Said We Had a Deal Everything Right is Wrong Again Youth Culture Killed My Dog Metal Detector I Palindrome I G How Can I Sing Like a Girl? Til My Head Falls Off Boat of Car Extra Savoir Faire G Istanbul (not Constantinople) Alienation's for the Rich Nothing's Gonna Change My Clothes The End of the Tour She's an Angel hmmm... the G's are difficult. Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Everything sticks until it goes away, * This space inadvertently And the truth is we don't know anything." -TMBG * left blank. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <350F163E.D95FFFD0@ibm.net> Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 19:33:02 -0500 From: Robyn Miller Subject: Re: TMBG: 3" cds > > This has always confused me? is this an actual 3 inch CD? like really > > small (anyone have that Politika demo? like that) because that would be > > cool.... does anyone remember Coke giving away Mini CDs? Oh my god! I still HAVE one of those Coke CDs!!!! I didn't think anyone else remembered them! I don't have the heart to throw it away. I don't remember the song about the guy goin' around the world, but I think there was a Pat Benatar song on mine. Woo-Hoo! :) By the way, I have both the DLS and Crane 3 inches (I know it's pathetic! I have the same songs on the tape singles [the first thing I bought], on Misc T, on 3" [I found them in a store-- and had to buy them], and on Then. Pretty sad.) and they really are 3 inches. They're so cute! Anyway, just thought I'd post for once. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199803180103.UAA08113@ee.net> Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 19:57:47 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Non-TMBG: Palindromes / Drugs Question of the day: Is there any talent involved in compiling palindromes (that someone else wrote) which are simply llists of names? Now those poems were pretty cool... As for drugs, I personally don't care if the band does or doesn't do drugs. However, it is my opinion that some bands may be better on drugs... (try comparing "Please Please Me" and "Abbey Road") ... And there is a difference between using drugs and experimenting... I doubt that They Might Be Giants haven't at least tried something. (And did somebody use "pot" and "hardcore" in the same sentence?) -ec, who used to hang around... ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9803180201.AA06854@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: DC & Baltimore Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 21:01:30 -0500 (EST) Hi! It looks like TMBG will be a weekend event for those in the Baltimore-Washington Corridor now that they are playing Catholic University of America on Friday night in DC and Bohager's Bar & Grill on Saturday night in Baltimore. Who all will be attending these events? Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 19:28:23 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: DC & Baltimore Message-ID: On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Matthew James wrote: > Who all will be attending these events? who's going to wear my sandals stained with cherry soda? who's going to ride my bike when i'm off at school? who's going to build my death ray? who's going to build my death ray and grow poison flowers with me? (sorry. couldn't resist.) seriously, though, if you're going to be attending these events and want to meet other listies, go to http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/skullmountain.html and follow the instructions! right at the moment i don't have anybody listed for DC or baltimore, so post and remedy that deficiency! (ps -- i won't be able to actually add to the list until thursday at the earliest, though. just to warn you.) --jim kuemmerle, who's going to steal the rowboats from the lifeguard station now... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu SKULL MOUNTAIN: we'll meet at the end of the tour... http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/skullmountain.html ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 22:16:57 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG:3" CDS Message-ID: <19980317.221809.3422.0.gray42@juno.com> I remember a while back my sister got a TMBG 3" CD cotaining the songs: We're The Replacements When It Rains It Snows The Famous Polka I think it was a free sample of some sort, or maybe she ordered it, I'm not sure, anyway it was very cute and shockingly small. I was very fond of it, but sadly, one day, my pet cat ruined it and that was the end of that. Mysterio Gal (who named her dog "radar" a palindrome) "They've Garble Warble Fashes" --Slartibartfast ICQ# 9585405 gray42@juno.com _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980317224844.006a0b70@130.127.28.14> Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 22:48:44 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG:3" CDS Those are the b-sides to the DLS CD, which was on 3"...maybe that's what your sister got? -Adam At 10:16 PM 3/17/98 -0500, gray42@juno.com wrote: >I remember a while back my sister got a TMBG 3" CD cotaining the songs: > >We're The Replacements >When It Rains It Snows >The Famous Polka > >I think it was a free sample of some sort, or maybe she ordered it, I'm >not sure, anyway it was very cute and shockingly small. I was very fond >of it, but sadly, one day, my pet cat ruined it and that was the end of >that. > >Mysterio Gal (who named her dog "radar" a palindrome) >"They've Garble Warble Fashes" >--Slartibartfast >ICQ# 9585405 >gray42@juno.com > >_____________________________________________________________________ >You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. >Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com >Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] > > > /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980318035058.29520.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Tom O'Connell" Subject: TMBG: shoehorn with teeth Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 19:50:58 PST The funny irony in "People should get beat up for stating their beliefs" is that he is stating a belief! -i just thought i would share that- -Amadais ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19980318013556.00c5b968@uky.campus.mci.net> Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 01:36:00 -0500 From: Bill Kirby Subject: Non-TMBG: 3 inch CDs >From: Adam Tyner >Subject: Re: TMBG: Myrtle Beach show > >At 03:23 PM 3/17/98 -0500, mr.train@juno.com wrote: >> >>This has always confused me? is this an actual 3 inch CD? like really > >Yup, I have the 3" DLS CD, and it's a very small CD. :) I think you have >to have a CD player with a spindle (is that what they're called?) to play >them. actually, i don't remember exactly where i got it, but i've got a little plastic adapter (had to get it to play a couple of 3" peter gabriel singles i picked up) that you can put one of the 3" CDs into so that it'll play on standard CD players. kinda like the CD equivalent (inverse of?) to those plastic yellow things you had to put on your 45s to get them to play on some turntables... -bk ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #4-440 ******************************