Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #4-441 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 4, Number 441 Thursday, 19 March 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #4-440 TMBG: Love Bug Non-TMBG: 3 inch CDs Re: TMBG: Love Bug TMBG: Re: Pittsburgh show TMBG: Re: Pittsburgh show TMBG: Baltimore/DC shows TMBG: Baltimore/DC shows TMBG: An Obnoxious Question Re: TMBG: 3" cds NON-TMBG: The Sister's Dead Uncle's Second Cousin Five Times Removed of All Palindromes TMBG: as long as we're playing games... Re: TMBG: An Obnoxious Question Re: TMBG: as long as we're playing games... Re: TMBG: Re: Pittsburgh show TMBG: The King of Converts!!! Re: TMBG: 3" cds Re: TMBG: as long as we're playing games... Re: TMBG: as long as we're playing games... Re: TMBG: as long as we're playing games... Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <350F8184.9CB469D5@bitstream.net> Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 02:10:44 -0600 From: vu Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #4-440 > > Palindromes: > > uhhhh... "racecar?" > > OH YEA!!? how about "I racecar I"? "hey racecar, ace car yeh!" > 1=2 we hope that you choke and you can laugh a spineless laugh.... vu -- http://www2.bitstream.net/~sleeper ------------------------------ Message-ID: <350FDB7B.4C26@rica.net> Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 09:34:35 -0500 From: Joey Groah Subject: TMBG: Love Bug A friend of mine claims TMBG song is used, possibly in the background, of the new Love Bug movie starring Bruce "S-Mart" Campbell. Anybody catch this? Joey, goin' bananas ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9803181431.AA07117@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: Non-TMBG: 3 inch CDs Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 09:31:20 -0500 (EST) > actually, i don't remember exactly where i got it, but i've got a little > plastic adapter (had to get it to play a couple of 3" peter gabriel singles > i picked up) that you can put one of the 3" CDs into so that it'll play on > standard CD players. kinda like the CD equivalent (inverse of?) to those > plastic yellow things you had to put on your 45s to get them to play on > some turntables... > > -bk I guess some CD players can't play the 3"ers, but my JVC can play my 3"ers without any adaptor. It has the inner groove on the tray and it just fits in there fine. Of course, without the groove I could see how it might slide around. I haven't listened to my DLS and TNAK 3"ers ina while, I should dig em up and take another listen! Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: Shaft137 Message-ID: Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 11:26:02 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Love Bug hi. >A friend of mine claims TMBG song is used, possibly in the background, >of the new Love Bug movie starring Bruce "S-Mart" Campbell. Anybody >catch this? i saw that and i don't remember hearing any song by Them. does he know which one it is? the evil empire should be releasing the new version of everyone's favorite german enginered automobile onto video soon. adam schaaf, for the people. ------------------------------ From: nmoos1@rachel.chatham.edu Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 12:25:10 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <199803181725.MAA15185@bird.taponline.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: Pittsburgh show >Well, now I'm mad I didn't go to the CMU show because when I called CMU >they said you needed an I.D....but anyway, if anyone finds anything out >about the Duquesne show on 4/22 let me know. I'll keep trying to get >info myself. We could arrange to meet somewhere before or during the >show if anyone's interested had you no faith in TMBG fandom?! ah well, the show wasn't quite up to Their usual par anyway, in my opinion. but we, the pittsburgh contingent, shall agree to meet somewhere for this show, yes? 'twould be fun. hopefully i will be able to scout out the show area before the fateful day of April 22 arrives, being that i am within a non-ludicrous distance of duquesne such that i can perform said task with relative ease. of course, i still await the actual information about what time, which building, etc. okay well i go now. --Naomi "that's what happens after i finish an english midterm" Moos ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 13:41:00 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Re: Pittsburgh show Message-ID: <19980318.135053.3326.0.yoda89@juno.com> From: yoda89@juno.com (James C Stiffey) >had you no faith in TMBG fandom?! >ah well, the show wasn't quite up to Their usual par anyway, in my >opinion. >but we, the pittsburgh contingent, shall agree to meet >somewhere for this show, yes? 'twould be fun. >hopefully i will be able to scout out the show area >before the fateful day of April 22 arrives, being that >i am within a non-ludicrous distance of duquesne such >that i can perform said task with relative ease. > >of course, i still await the actual information about >what time, which building, etc. I am up to meeting fellow listees, I could even sport my famous Arizona Cardnials hat, try finding one of those in Pittsburgh... Yoda89 --- Love is like a snowmobile ride through the north. All of a sudden it flips over, trapping you underneath......At night, the Ice Weasels come. _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: NitpickR Message-ID: <1434c6c5.35101545@aol.com> Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 13:41:07 EST Subject: TMBG: Baltimore/DC shows Hello 41- I don't know about the rest of you Baltimore/DC people, but I am disapointed at the venues of where TMBG is playing... They played their last Baltimore show in Baltimore, and it was a load of fun, except Bohager's cut the last two encores out of their set. Totally lame I think, because it was such a cool thing to have an unannounced Then The Earlier Years show... Why not play at The Belividere, or Fletcher's, or 8x10, or somewhere else... And TMBG *always* plays the 9:30 Club. Why a change? They are always great shows, and a good venue. Disgruntledly yours Adam Rubens~ NitpickR@aol.com * arubens@iris.nyit.edu We've done our job, but the job isn't done. -Jotto Seibold ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9803181859.AA07275@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Baltimore/DC shows Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 13:59:40 -0500 (EST) > I don't know about the rest of you Baltimore/DC people, but I am disapointed > at the venues of where TMBG is playing... They played their last Baltimore > show in Baltimore, and it was a load of fun, except Bohager's cut the last two > encores out of their set. Totally lame I think, because it was such a cool > thing to have an unannounced Then The Earlier Years show... Why not play at > The Belividere, or Fletcher's, or 8x10, or somewhere else... And TMBG > *always* plays the 9:30 Club. Why a change? They are always great shows, and > a good venue. > Couple of problems here: 1) Bohager's is the only place that's big enough. 8x10 is tiny, Fletcher's isn't much bigger. I haven't been to the Belvedere or wherever you're talking about so I wouldn't know. I have seen Moxy Fruvous at Fletcher's but they don't quite draw the crowd that TMBG does, yet. 2) TMBG love the 9:30 Club, both incarnations of it. They've played them a thousand times (so said one of the Johns in an interview, methinks he exagerated just a bit ;) ) and they seem to like it so I can't see them going elsewhere. But I could see them play at the Black Cat, but again it's a little bit smaller. The Bayou? Saw Fruvous there as well, but again, you have to watch for the big crowds. Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <351066B0.7B4A@geocities.com> Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 16:28:32 -0800 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: TMBG: An Obnoxious Question Okay. I realize that everyone here is probably sick of questions like these, but here goes: Does anyone know of any reliable places to get out-of-print TMBG stuff (mostly old EP's like Istanbul, The Guitar, and Back To Skull, and other sources of rare songs; I don't have as great a desire for radio promos or John Flansburgh's baby teeth)? Also, does the Info Club still carry "State Songs"? If so, how would I go about ordering it? (I don't think it's listed in the online catalogue at tmbg.com.) -- Your indolent friend, Nathan Mulac DeHoff vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 15:28:48 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: 3" cds Message-ID: <19980318.153443.4622.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> On Tue, 17 Mar 1998 15:29:13 -0500 (EST) mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) writes: <> Both DLS and TNAK were 3" CD singles, very tiny CDs. >Matt <> Wow! cool! My CD player has this... and my CD ROM, too! Are these available from the info club?or just Gemm? Isn't there a 3" with WhyDTSS? and Jessica on it? Tim, who plans to replace his entire music collection with 3" CDs Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: They'll Need A Crane Last CD purchase:promo singles _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35106B8F.1971@geocities.com> Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 16:49:19 -0800 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: NON-TMBG: The Sister's Dead Uncle's Second Cousin Five Times Removed of All Palindromes This one isn't impressive in the least, but I thought it up: "Wontons? Not now!" -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 15:29:54 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: as long as we're playing games... Message-ID: this morning, as i stumbled back to my humble abode from a *very* long night working on my exams in the lab, i realized i had a song running through my head. the lyrics were 'moving to the sun', but it was to the tune of 'will you love me in december as you do in may?' can anyone else come up with a good lyric-switch? (imagine a whole concert made up of stuff like that!!) hee hee!!! --jim kuemmerle, who usually doesn't think of these sorts things unless he's exhausted from lack of sleep, awake and far from bed... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu SKULL MOUNTAIN: we'll meet at the end of the tour... http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/skullmountain.html ------------------------------ From: Dr Worm X Message-ID: <21589969.35105cb7@aol.com> Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 18:45:57 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: An Obnoxious Question I know that the "Every CD" club has back to skull, but that's about it... call 1-800-EVERY-CD for information Matt "supplier of useless info" turn around, turn around, it's a human skull on the ground you're so 1990, and it's 1994 the squirrels and the birds come, gather round to sing the guitar http://members.tripod.com/~drworm (SIGN MY GUESTBOOK!) ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 19:49:42 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: as long as we're playing games... Message-ID: <19980318.194943.4406.1.Mr.Train@juno.com> On Wed, 18 Mar 1998 15:29:54 -0700 (MST) J Kuemmerle writes: >this morning, as i stumbled back to my humble abode from a *very* long >night working on my exams in the lab, i realized i had a song running >through my head. the lyrics were 'moving to the sun', but it was to >the tune of 'will you love me in december as you do in may?' > >can anyone else come up with a good lyric-switch? (imagine a whole >concert made up of stuff like that!!) hee hee!!! <> >SKULL MOUNTAIN: we'll meet at the end of the tour... >http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/skullmountain.html This kinda reminds me of Mr. Flippy's I'll Sink Manhattan/SEXXY deal... He morphed the two songs together into a really cool sounding thing... It's probably still downloadable at his Red Light Fun Time Party Hour... Flippy? If he doesn't have it, I do... so if need be I can give it to those who want it... but I really recommend a visit to the RLFTPH... it changed my life... and my diapers Myself, I can't think of a good lyric switch Tim, going through Monkey Island 3 withdrawal Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: They'll Need A Crane Last CD purchase:promo singles (but I'm looking in Ivy's direction.. anyone have comments on their Apartment Life album? anyone read my sig?) _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 20:05:00 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Pittsburgh show Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 18-Mar-98 TMBG: Re: Pittsburgh show by nmoos1@rachel.chatham.ed > of course, i still await the actual information about > what time, which building, etc. it's in the (surprise) Palumbo center, which holds 6000 people... which should make things interesting since there's no way they'll get that many... it's probably some time in the evening (since it's a Wednesday, and people tend to have classes in the afternoon), and I'm pretty sure it'll be open to everyone (shows there usually are). I'm going to investigate over the net and the phone next week (ahhhh, spring break :) and report what new information I find out... (unless someone beats me to it :) Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Everything sticks until it goes away, * This space inadvertently And the truth is we don't know anything." -TMBG * left blank. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980319012959.0068e9ec@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 19:29:59 -0600 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: TMBG: The King of Converts!!! BWAHAHAHA! I declare myself The King of Converts! Today at school we had some visitors from Zambabway (SP?!?) and my job was to show them my animation (Is from the Maxx jumping up and down, and some other things) and my Web pages. When I showed 2 of our new-friends my TMBG sit they asked if I could play them some music. After an unsucsesful attempt to play one of my RA things, I pulled out John Henry, and guess what, they are going to go buy some TMBG! YAY! LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ From: MatFoley99 Message-ID: <5c211008.351099ac@aol.com> Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 23:06:01 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: 3" cds In a message dated 98-03-18 15:38:18 EST, mr.train@juno.com writes: << Isn't there a 3" with WhyDTSS? and Jessica on it? >> Ummm...I don't think there is. My friends got WDTSS? and it's just on a regular CD...sorry. Chris "Of course, we have...THE CRUEL SHOES" Brannan ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3510DA1C.4FCB@geocities.com> Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 00:41:00 -0800 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: as long as we're playing games... Oops! I meant to send this to the whole list, but I messed up the fields. J Kuemmerle wrote: > > this morning, as i stumbled back to my humble abode from a *very* long > night working on my exams in the lab, i realized i had a song running > through my head. the lyrics were 'moving to the sun', but it was to > the > tune of 'will you love me in december as you do in may?' > > can anyone else come up with a good lyric-switch? (imagine a whole > concert made up of stuff like that!!) hee hee!!! Well, when I first heard Mono Puff's "Don't I Have The Right?", it sounded like you could easily interchange its chorus with that of "Silver Threads And Golden Needles." Also, the tune to the verses of "Moving To The Sun" sounds quite a bit like the tune to "Token Back to Brooklyn." "The token back to Brooklyn fell between the grating, And we're just watching it sinking. The fare went up to one hundred dollars, And we can never go home again. You can't catch me where I'm going to fall. You can't catch me where I'll hide..." Also, soon after I first heard Factory Showroom (some time before I owned a copy of the album), I mentally mixed up "New York City" and "Exquisite Dead Guy," combining the chorus to the former and the "bump ba-dump ba ba ba-dump ba" from the latter. -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 00:39:51 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: as long as we're playing games... another interesting one that I've noticed is that you can, with a little bit of fiddling, squeeze the lyrics to 'Dead' into the music for 'Kiss Me, Son of God.' it kind of falls apart at the bridge, but it's kind of interesting to think about. (they're even in the same key!) Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Everything sticks until it goes away, * This space inadvertently And the truth is we don't know anything." -TMBG * left blank. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3510BC86.7DC2@rica.net> Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 01:34:46 -0500 From: Joey Groah Subject: Re: TMBG: as long as we're playing games... > J Kuemmerle wrote: > > > > this morning, as i stumbled back to my humble abode from a *very* long > > night working on my exams in the lab, i realized i had a song running > > through my head. the lyrics were 'moving to the sun', but it was to > > the > > tune of 'will you love me in december as you do in may?' > > > > can anyone else come up with a good lyric-switch? (imagine a whole > > concert made up of stuff like that!!) hee hee!!! > > Well, when I first heard Mono Puff's "Don't I Have The Right?", it > sounded like you could easily interchange its chorus with that of "Silver > Threads And Golden Needles." Also, the tune to the verses of "Moving To > The Sun" sounds quite a bit like the tune to "Token Back to Brooklyn." > I'm usually really tired when I mix up lyrics, and I've only been up for about 16 hours and mid-terms are fading memories, so nothing immediately comes to mind. I usually shoehorn (pun not intended) Giants lyrics into other songs. Before my girlfriend got cable I would tape her episodes of 'The Simpsons' and that's about all we'd watch, except for movies. So I always screw up Simpsons lines, mostly in delivery and dialogue. Okay, maybe I am tired. Fine. I go sleep now. Jopey sleepyyyyyyyyyyyy Hey, if you like John Waters, he's gonna be speaking at JMU in Harrisonburg VA this Tuesday, the 24th, at 6:00 p.m., actually at 9:00 but the opening act should be good. http://www.jmu.edu/orgs/upb/eventupb.htm has more info. for any interested. Last semester they got Kevin SMith, an event I didn't get to, and most everybody said it was a great program. I'll be taking tickets or popping popcorn or something, my first volunteer dealy. And my friend from VCU claims she's bringing a guy whos uncle won an Oscar for best documentary. Come point at him and say "hey, maybe he's seen an Oscar up close." This is totaly non-TMBG so stop if you don't want a rambling story, but my friend Mikey went to the Bahamas for spring break. Guess which low caliber actor he saw with Yasmine Bleeth in a casino? Nope, lower caliber of actor. Not Hasselhoff, low I said. Corey Haim? No, lower still. Screech... too low. No, it was Richard Greico. Boy we laughed for many minutes. Mikey might embelish his story to where he heckled Greico, asking him where the french club was, can he be his geeky sidekick in the "If Looks Could Kill" sequel. Okay, he probably won't, but I might. Sorry for those of you made it all this way for such a small pay off. I still make Mike Leffel references, on the list and off. Won't be content until he's a catchphrase. I'm only kidding. Probably. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #4-441 ******************************