Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #4-442 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 4, Number 442 Friday, 20 March 1998 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: as long as we're playing games... TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #4-441 TMBG: The Frente Connection Re: TMBG: as long as we're playing games... TMBG: Re: frente frente frente! TMBG: Baltimore/DC TMBG: Baltimore/DC TMBG: Baltimore/DC Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #4-441 TMBG: Non tMBg But I Need Help on this... TMBG: Media Lab / Particle Man Re: TMBG: The Frente Connection Re: TMBG: 3" cds TMBG: Lyric Switch... TMBG: Scouting out territory at Duquesne Re: TMBG: The Frente Connection Re: TMBG: TMBG vs Marilyn Manson Re: TMBG: NON - TMBG(and other stufF) + Ween TMBG: what to wear to the shows... Re: TMBG: what to wear to the shows... Re: TMBG: what to wear to the shows... Re: TMBG: what to wear to the shows... Re: TMBG: An Obnoxious Question TMBG: what to wear to the shows... Re: TMBG: An Obnoxious Question Re: TMBG: what to wear to the shows... Re: TMBG: what to wear to the shows... TMBG: What to wear in Pittsburgh TMBG: Fruvous-TMBG Parody Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <351102E5.7514@geocities.com> Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 03:35:01 -0800 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: as long as we're playing games... Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > > another interesting one that I've noticed is that you can, with a > little > bit of fiddling, squeeze the lyrics to 'Dead' into the music for 'Kiss > Me, Son of God.' it kind of falls apart at the bridge, but it's kind > of > interesting to think about. (they're even in the same key!) How about singing "Purple Toupee" to the tune of "The Edison Museum"? The meter is different in spots, but the structure is remarkable similar. Also, during the bridge in "Window," you could insert the bridge from "Everything Right Is Wrong Again," or one of the verses to "Strawberry Fields Forever." (The background music of the latter is similar to the background music during the bridge of "Window.") -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3510DB76.16496C88@bitstream.net> Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 02:46:46 -0600 From: vu Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #4-441 i think this was sent to me by mistake (instead of the TMBGlist) > > "Jason Thrower" > Organization: > Columbus State Univ.,Columbus, Ga. > > > "hey racecar, ace car yeh!" > > "Go go speadracer go"? > > Hey, ate least I'm making a little attempt:P i dont know it doesnt read backwards: "og racerdaeps og og" - erm, i dont know if you were thinking palindromes now that i think about it ! well it's kind of funny how racer x's name is rex racer and his brother speed racer.... wow their last name IS racer! > Wow! cool! My CD player has this... and my CD ROM, too! Are these > available from the info club? its really amazing that people dont know about the 3" cds... i know it's not popular, but you must've seen them around right ? a lot of japanese cd singles (old ones) are 3" and loads of those beatles re-release cdsingles too.... and yes even those cocacola free mini-cds are as well. sorry if i've offended anyone... its really fascinating > sit they asked if I could play them some music. After an unsucsesful > attempt to play one of my RA things, I pulled out John Henry, and guess > what, they are going to go buy some TMBG! YAY! john henry? didn't you have flood lying around? well if they like it, then cool > another interesting one that I've noticed is that you can, with a little > bit of fiddling, squeeze the lyrics to 'Dead' into the music for 'Kiss > Me, Son of God.' it kind of falls apart at the bridge, but it's kind of > interesting to think about. (they're even in the same key!) speaking of weird bits like that. about some time ago, the sandman comic book had a disc jockey announce "that was 'Nightgown of the sullen moon'" (i'm sure this fact has probably been anounced already as there are probably a lot of neil gaiman fans on this list, but i thought i'd mention it) big cheers vu -- http://www2.bitstream.net/~sleeper ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3511057F.D0F4B842@pacificnet.net> Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 03:46:11 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: The Frente Connection Has anyone ever noticed that Frente's "Shape" CD thanks "tmbg" (among other bands) in the album notes? Why the gratitude? -B O N G O _____________________________________________ "When you go down to where you know don't forget what you don't know" -Geggy Tah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19980319081320.006bcff0@postoffice.brown.edu> Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 08:13:20 -0500 From: Sara P Grady Subject: Re: TMBG: as long as we're playing games... I think switching lyrics is something that happens when you are tired/semi-concious...one morning I woke up and I was singing the following words over and over to the tune of Tryptophane: "Sensaround, I was baked, it's an ordinary day..." I think that's because I heard both the S-E-X-X-Y songle and the Devil Went Down to Newport single in the same day, for the first time. Sara ><,'> ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 06:37:41 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Re: frente frente frente! Message-ID: <19980319.063747.11222.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) HEy heY! > Has anyone ever noticed that Frente's "Shape" CD thanks >"tmbg" (among other bands) in the album notes? Why the >gratitude? well they toured together for a while... i know that >and yes even those cocacola free >mini-cds are as well. bud, mini-discs and 3" cd's are totally different things... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html "If rocking means having a tattoo on your face and being a sexist pig then we're definitely afraid to rock! But there are different shades of rock, I think." ---JOhN Linnell _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: NitpickR Message-ID: <4f89f30f.3511401d@aol.com> Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 10:56:11 EST Subject: TMBG: Baltimore/DC Hello 41- In a message dated 3/19/98 7:06:29 AM, you wrote: <<1) Bohager's is the only place that's big enough. 8x10 is tiny, Fletcher's isn't much bigger. I haven't been to the Belvedere or wherever you're talking about so I wouldn't know. I have seen Moxy Fruvous at Fletcher's but they don't quite draw the crowd that TMBG does, yet. 2) TMBG love the 9:30 Club, both incarnations of it. They've played them a thousand times (so said one of the Johns in an interview, methinks he exagerated just a bit ;) ) and they seem to like it so I can't see them going elsewhere. But I could see them play at the Black Cat, but again it's a little bit smaller. The Bayou? Saw Fruvous there as well, but again, you have to watch for the big crowds.>> I would say that Fletcher's holds about as many people as Mercury Lounge, and it is definatley a cool place to see a show. The Belvidere (13th floor to be exact) is the 13th floor of The Belvidere Hotel in Baltimore. It's a pretty swanky spot. Balroom type dancing things are always there. There is parking, it's in the middle of the city, and could work. I could see TMBG playing at Black Cat. Maybe even Iota in VA. And what's with them skipping Philly? Adam Rubens~ NitpickR@aol.com * arubens@iris.nyit.edu I used to be temporarily insane. Now I'm just stupid. -Brak ------------------------------ From: NitpickR Message-ID: <4f89f30f.3511401d@aol.com> Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 10:56:11 EST Subject: TMBG: Baltimore/DC Hello 41- In a message dated 3/19/98 7:06:29 AM, you wrote: <<1) Bohager's is the only place that's big enough. 8x10 is tiny, Fletcher's isn't much bigger. I haven't been to the Belvedere or wherever you're talking about so I wouldn't know. I have seen Moxy Fruvous at Fletcher's but they don't quite draw the crowd that TMBG does, yet. 2) TMBG love the 9:30 Club, both incarnations of it. They've played them a thousand times (so said one of the Johns in an interview, methinks he exagerated just a bit ;) ) and they seem to like it so I can't see them going elsewhere. But I could see them play at the Black Cat, but again it's a little bit smaller. The Bayou? Saw Fruvous there as well, but again, you have to watch for the big crowds.>> I would say that Fletcher's holds about as many people as Mercury Lounge, and it is definatley a cool place to see a show. The Belvidere (13th floor to be exact) is the 13th floor of The Belvidere Hotel in Baltimore. It's a pretty swanky spot. Balroom type dancing things are always there. There is parking, it's in the middle of the city, and could work. I could see TMBG playing at Black Cat. Maybe even Iota in VA. And what's with them skipping Philly? Adam Rubens~ NitpickR@aol.com * arubens@iris.nyit.edu I used to be temporarily insane. Now I'm just stupid. -Brak ------------------------------ From: NitpickR Message-ID: <4f89f30f.3511401d@aol.com> Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 10:56:11 EST Subject: TMBG: Baltimore/DC Hello 41- In a message dated 3/19/98 7:06:29 AM, you wrote: <<1) Bohager's is the only place that's big enough. 8x10 is tiny, Fletcher's isn't much bigger. I haven't been to the Belvedere or wherever you're talking about so I wouldn't know. I have seen Moxy Fruvous at Fletcher's but they don't quite draw the crowd that TMBG does, yet. 2) TMBG love the 9:30 Club, both incarnations of it. They've played them a thousand times (so said one of the Johns in an interview, methinks he exagerated just a bit ;) ) and they seem to like it so I can't see them going elsewhere. But I could see them play at the Black Cat, but again it's a little bit smaller. The Bayou? Saw Fruvous there as well, but again, you have to watch for the big crowds.>> I would say that Fletcher's holds about as many people as Mercury Lounge, and it is definatley a cool place to see a show. The Belvidere (13th floor to be exact) is the 13th floor of The Belvidere Hotel in Baltimore. It's a pretty swanky spot. Balroom type dancing things are always there. There is parking, it's in the middle of the city, and could work. I could see TMBG playing at Black Cat. Maybe even Iota in VA. And what's with them skipping Philly? Adam Rubens~ NitpickR@aol.com * arubens@iris.nyit.edu I used to be temporarily insane. Now I'm just stupid. -Brak ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980319160146.006ae284@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 10:01:46 -0600 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #4-441 >> sit they asked if I could play them some music. After an unsucsesful >> attempt to play one of my RA things, I pulled out John Henry, and guess >> what, they are going to go buy some TMBG! YAY! > >john henry? didn't you have flood lying around? well if they like it, then cool I was looking for Flood, but it turns out I left it at home. So I thought, um, which one of these has the most commercial appeal after Flood, so I popped in JH. Li'l Depressed Boy, converting people all over the globe... -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 09:43:25 -0700 (MST) From: jim Subject: TMBG: Non tMBg But I Need Help on this... Message-ID: Sorry I know that this listserv is mainly about sex, drugs and tMBg but I need an important question answered for my Chemical Engineering class and I can't seem to find the info in any reference book. Can anyone tell me what the conversion of viscosity is for motor oil notation. What does 10W-40 and 20W-50 actually mean when you buy motor oil? This is for a lab report my group is working on and we don't know how to convert those numbers. If you know just email me back (obviously.) Thanks -jim And now back to our regularly scheduled discussions. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980319131150.0069c2dc@130.127.28.14> Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 13:11:50 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Media Lab / Particle Man For those of you who haven't heard this...here's an improvised parody of "Particle Man" by Moxy Fruvous, about MIT's Media Lab. It's pretty funny stuff... :) BTW, you might have to paste it in the File->Open Location part of RealPlayer... http://www.fruvous.com/bigstuff/970517ml.ra Enjoy, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 12:58:11 -0600 (CST) From: "Christopher M. Stangl" Subject: Re: TMBG: The Frente Connection Message-ID: On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, Bongo wrote: > Has anyone ever noticed that Frente's "Shape" CD thanks > "tmbg" (among other bands) in the album notes? Why the > gratitude? The usual reasons would have something to do with the fact that they toured together for a little while. Soul Coughing also thanks our boys in the liner notes of "Irresistible Bliss", for this same reason. Suzanne Vega thanks "Flansburgh and Linnell for being helpful" in the notes of "Days of Open Hand"... this is weird to me, because Linnell plays accordion on "Tired of Sleeping", but Flansburgh does *nothing* that I can see... -Chris Stangl ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 13:03:09 -0600 (CST) From: "Christopher M. Stangl" Subject: Re: TMBG: 3" cds Message-ID: On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, MatFoley99 wrote: > Chris > "Of course, we have...THE CRUEL SHOES" > Brannan Holy god! It's a hobby of mine to collect copies of this classic book! I'm currently up to five lovely editions. A first-pressing hardcover which used to belong to a library is my favorite. I also have the "Playboy" where the title story was first published. I have no idea what fixation the book holds for me, but it will always be a favorite of mine. I can recite "Shuckin' The Jive" from memory! And often do! -Chris "Soup Folding" Stangl ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot Message-ID: <74d59e7a.35117030@aol.com> Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 14:21:18 EST Subject: TMBG: Lyric Switch... Well, sometimes when I play James K. Polk on guitar, I start singing Till My Head Falls Off (until the part where the guitar breaks & I realize I made the mistake...) & than I just start playing till my Head Falls Off...it's weird (oh, sometimes it works the other way too).... I also do this (similarly) while playing the Presidents "Feather Pluckin'". I too often start singing Dune Buggy... On that note my band stuck the lyrics of one of our songs Dick (http://www.thebountfiul.com/audio/dick.ra) into NIN's March of the Pigs & created a song called March of the Dicks... jason glastetter ------------------------------ From: nmoos1@rachel.chatham.edu Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 14:07:28 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <199803191907.OAA27470@bird.taponline.com> Subject: TMBG: Scouting out territory at Duquesne >it's in the (surprise) Palumbo center, which holds 6000 people... which >should make things interesting since there's no way they'll get that >many... it's probably some time in the evening (since it's a Wednesday, >and people tend to have classes in the afternoon), and I'm pretty sure >it'll be open to everyone (shows there usually are). Okay, now I am forced to assume that you (Lawrence) are familiar with the area (I am not), so that means *you* get the awesome cool k-rad job of picking somewhere for everyone to meet! Whee! ahem... I would guess that the easiest place to meet up is in front of the ticket line or something like that. So! what sort of zany wacko external adornments are people going to bedeck themselves with in order to be recognized? I'm planning on wearing -- get this -- a TMBG shirt. Maybe even a pair of pants if I'm feeling *really* loony. Oh, and a spike bracelet and a safety pin in my ear, as usual. Maybe I'll write "President Kill" on my forehead like I did last time. --pnaomi "Hapless Mid-Term Victim" moos ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 15:54:02 -0500 (EST) From: "Eric Webber (EIN tech)" Subject: Re: TMBG: The Frente Connection Message-ID: Didn't anyone consider that the thanks may just be because TMBG was an influence on Frente, or Suzanne Vega or whoever. It dosen't have to mean that John or John actually did personal favors for the bands. On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, Christopher M. Stangl wrote: > On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, Bongo wrote: > > > Has anyone ever noticed that Frente's "Shape" CD thanks > > "tmbg" (among other bands) in the album notes? Why the > > gratitude? > > The usual reasons would have something to do with the fact that > they toured together for a little while. Soul Coughing also thanks our > boys in the liner notes of "Irresistible Bliss", for this same reason. > Suzanne Vega thanks "Flansburgh and Linnell for being helpful" in > the notes of "Days of Open Hand"... this is weird to me, because Linnell > plays accordion on "Tired of Sleeping", but Flansburgh does *nothing* that > I can see... > -Chris Stangl > > --- Eric Webber - Electronic Information Network desk- 412.622.1944 page- 412.272.1854 webbere@clpgh.org wubba@tmbg.org p-wolves@mailexcite.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 16:32:06 -0600 (CST) From: "Christopher M. Stangl" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG vs Marilyn Manson Message-ID: On Mon, 16 Mar 1998, Happyfroot wrote: > I think there used to be similarities between Marilyn Manson & TMBG, even > musically(besides the drum machine thing), however lately, Marilyn Manson has > gone so far down into a craphole that I don't think he'll ever even be able to > think about comparing to the greatness of the Johns now, but in his early days > he had a chance. I honestly don't know what you're talking about. Manson now resembles TMBG far more than he did in the olden days. With all the toy instruments, keyboard silliness and dinky-sounding tunes on "AntiChrist" vs. the all-songs-soundee-same, chunky guitars and drums of "Portrait of an American Family", which do you think really compares to TMBG? -Chris Stangl ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 16:38:33 -0600 (CST) From: "Christopher M. Stangl" Subject: Re: TMBG: NON - TMBG(and other stufF) + Ween Message-ID: On Mon, 16 Mar 1998, 99 and 44/100% MIKe! wrote: > On Mon, 16 Mar 1998, Christopher M. Stangl wrote: > > > > "12 Golden Country Greats" is in no way representative of Ween... > > they don't even appear on the album, they just wrote the songs, hired real > > country musicians to play them, and that's it. It appears to have been an > > elaborate joke. > > -Chris Stangl > > > This is not remotely true. Gene and Dean do play and sing on the > record, just as they did live in concert as they performed the bulk of > the record on stage. Man, you're wrecking my fabricated conspiracy theory, which I specifically designed to allay any blame for "12 Golden" on Ween! Pipe down... Gene and Dean didn't do it! They didn't make that record! > While this is a stylistic departure from the rest of their catalogue, it > is in no way a joke and is in keeping with the varying, and, I find, > maturing, tone of their last few records. Maturing? "Down on yer knees you big booty bitch an' start suckin'"?! It's a stylistic exercise at best. > I find the assertion that they did not play on the record to be absurd > and erroneous. Me too, unfortunately. > And of course, TMBG are no stranger to the world of country music, > as they have gleefully fused this erstwhile-annoying genre into their > brand of pop. An entire record of country-inflected tunes would be > startling, to be sure, but by no means automatically some sort of > calculated ruse, and it is wrong to assume that Ween intended 12 Golden > Country Greats to be that. I maintain that *every* genre exercise Ween undertakes is a joke to some degree or another. "12 Golden" is just very long joke, in rather dubious taste. -Chris "L.M.L.Y.P." Stangl ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 17:46:50 -0700 Subject: TMBG: what to wear to the shows... Message-ID: <19980319.174656.16054.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) hEY HEY! > Soul Coughing also thanks >our >boys in the liner notes of "Irresistible Bliss", for this same reason. well... that and didn't flans direct one of their videos? >I'm planning on wearing -- get this -- a TMBG shirt. ::::This question has bugged me for a reeeally long time:::: can i ask why people feel the need to wear a band's shirt to that band's show? i mean, if you're there, everyone will know that you like the band.... and wearing it for the "cheap plug" kinda vibe isnt' gonna do you much good either, since well everyone is at the show so they're gonna have heard of them... any ideas? take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html "we're happy to rock! We will rock you all night long! We'll rock you dead!" ---JOhN Flansburgh _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Monotreme3 Message-ID: <5b8b687b.3511bdc9@aol.com> Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 19:52:23 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: what to wear to the shows... In a message dated 3/19/98 7:50:14 PM Eastern Standard Time, tmbgirl@juno.com writes: > ::::This question has bugged me for a reeeally long time:::: > can i ask why people feel the need to wear a band's shirt to that band's > show? i mean, if you're there, everyone will know that you like the > band.... and wearing it for the "cheap plug" kinda vibe isnt' gonna do > you much good either, since well everyone is at the show so they're gonna > have heard of them... > any ideas? Well... when I do that... if I do that... I do it because my TMBG shirt just gets me in the mood. It hypes me up, I suppose. Of course, I just buy a new one and cover up the one I'm wearing anyway, because I don't like holding the new one during the concert. So. That's my 2 cents. -Carey ------------------------------ From: PLurie1982 Message-ID: <805ce205.3511bede@aol.com> Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 19:56:59 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: what to wear to the shows... I myself have never been to a show. But i am going to attend the april 16, New haven show. i will be wearing my TMBG "Music self played is Happiness self made" shirt. It just fits the venue. -Slush ------------------------------ From: WeirdGiant Message-ID: Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 20:08:01 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: what to wear to the shows... Last show I went to I wore one of my Weird Al t-shirts to attract attention from other fans and maybe get to talking or whatever. But I didn't have a TMBG shirt at that time, and when I bought one I also slipped it over top the Al shirt I was wearing.. I agree that the shirt gets you in the mood. I wore a Weird Al shirt to one of his concerts. Perhaps I should wear Al to TMBG and TMBG to Al? Maybe I have no clue what I'm talking about.. ~Tintin "Time flows like a river...and history repeats..." ------------------------------ From: TerryTMBG Message-ID: Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 20:08:50 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: An Obnoxious Question >Does anyone know of any reliable places to get out-of-print TMBG stuff >(mostly old EP's like Istanbul, The Guitar, and Back To Skull, and other >sources of rare songs; In terms of nationwide sources (web sites and the like) I have no clue, but maybe there is a store in your particular region that stocks stuff like that. For example, I live in Rhode Island (and I'd like to wave a big hello to the listies from Kansas ... HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!) and the Newbury's Comics store in Warwick stocks Istanbul, Back to Skull, S-E-X-X-Y and WDTSS on a regular basis. Perhaps if you told us all where you live some nice soul will be able to point you in the right direction. Oh, and I forgot .wavs and .mp3s. Even those of us with a 486 can enjoy rare TMBG cuts through the magic of sound files and the Internet. -Terry- ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9803200150.AA08260@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: what to wear to the shows... Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 20:50:03 -0500 (EST) > ::::This question has bugged me for a reeeally long time:::: > can i ask why people feel the need to wear a band's shirt to that band's > show? i mean, if you're there, everyone will know that you like the > band.... and wearing it for the "cheap plug" kinda vibe isnt' gonna do > you much good either, since well everyone is at the show so they're gonna > have heard of them... > any ideas? Well, a lot of people buy shirts at the show and don't have anywhere to put them so they wear them. As for those who bring shirts to the show, well, some people feel they enjoy the band so much that they want to be immersed in fandom. That's really there all is to it. The only real place you'll get the cheap plug is on the way to the show or outside the venue, so I doubt most people are going for that effect. And sometimes the shirts look so cool that they enjoy wearing cool clothes, ya know? /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35120816.7FC@geocities.com> Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 22:09:26 -0800 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: An Obnoxious Question TerryTMBG wrote: > Oh, and I forgot .wavs and .mp3s. Even those of us with a 486 can > enjoy rare > TMBG cuts through the magic of sound files and the Internet. Well, the 486 with Windows 3.1 that I use here at school can't really play mp3s. (Well, it can, but it plays them so slowly that you can't understand them.) I was able to hear quite a few rare TMBG songs in this manner during my spring break, though. -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980319215732.006a1b80@130.127.28.14> Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 21:57:32 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: what to wear to the shows... It's funny that you say that because I came incredibly close to wearing a TMBG shirt when I saw Al live... I know he's a fan, plus it had an accordion on it. :) I ended up wearing a "Spam" shirt though. Oh well. :-) -Adam At 08:08 PM 3/19/98 EST, WeirdGiant wrote: >Last show I went to I wore one of my Weird Al t-shirts to attract attention >from other fans and maybe get to talking or whatever. But I didn't have a >TMBG shirt at that time, and when I bought one I also slipped it over top the >Al shirt I was wearing.. I agree that the shirt gets you in the mood. I wore >a Weird Al shirt to one of his concerts. Perhaps I should wear Al to TMBG and >TMBG to Al? Maybe I have no clue what I'm talking about.. > >~Tintin > >"Time flows like a river...and history repeats..." > > /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: Kaylum Message-ID: <215c767d.3511de57@aol.com> Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 22:11:17 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: what to wear to the shows... I agree that it's really not all that necessary to wear a band's t-shirt to their shows, tho I'm sure it makes most bands quite happy to see people wearing just-bought shirts (I know Flans is quite the shirt-plugger). But it's also cool to wear shirts of other things you are interested in order to find others who share that interest (I mean, you already know you all like that band). Kinda like this list :) Anyway, that leads me to, yes, another Kay TMBG story! ::drags out and dusts off storybook:: (forgive me if you've heard this one b4): When I went to my first TMBG show, I wore my prized Kids in the Hall t-shirt. I was right up against the stage, so it was in clear view of the band. As luck would have it, Flans announced that they were going to play a song "from the Kids in the Hall movie" (it hadn't come out yet), and then asked, "Is that thing still called The Drug?" I knew the title had been changed to Brain Candy by then, so I had to set him straight! I don't remember if I managed to actually say anything, but I did shake my head furiously enough to catch his attention. He stared at my shirt for a few long seconds, and I was *sure* he was gonna say something, but he didn't. However, he did give me a "Guess she knows what she's talking about" grin before they launched into "Spiralling Shape." That was enough for me! Kay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980320032117.11124.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Jason F." Subject: TMBG: What to wear in Pittsburgh Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 19:21:17 PST Personally, I'm still debating wether or not to wear my TMBG shirt (I'm leaning towards yes) but rest assured I'll have the TMBG cap on...I really don't have any distinguishing characteristics so maybe I'll have to dye my hair blue or something...also, is there seating in this place or standing room a la I.C. Light Ampitheater? Please excuse my naivity but I've never been there so I wouldn't know... -- J'son "Hot Cha, where are you? Everybody's eyes are closed." -They Might Be Giants ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 01:48:46 -0500 (EST) From: Josh Woodward Subject: TMBG: Fruvous-TMBG Parody Message-id: Check out the Media Lab soundclip at http://www.fruvous.com/media.html This is from a Moxy Fruvous show last year where they bust off an impromptu parody of Particle Man, talking about MIT's Media Lab. * ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Josh Woodward, CheEsy Fru. joshw@mail.bgsu.edu Web Site and Tape List: http://www.dc-adnet.com/joshw/ "The solar thrill that turns on chlorophyll the nourishing kiss of photosynthesis." - Moxy Fruvous www.fruvous.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #4-442 ******************************