Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #4-445 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 4, Number 445 Tuesday, 24 March 1998 Today's Topics: Re: Non-TMBG: 3 inch CDs TMBG: new web site TMBG: 3/21 show! TMBG: Um, something I forgot Re: TMBG: They Got Lost || New Site RE: TMBG: They Got Lost || New Site TMBG: 3/26/98 Orlando Show TMBG: TMBList Digest? Re: TMBG: 3/21 show! TMBG: Short term memory loss... Re: TMBG: The Frente Connection Re: TMBG: what to wear to the shows... Re: TMBG: what to wear to the shows... (none) TMBG: Re: UK-dom TMBG: Re: UK-dom Re: TMBG: what to wear to the shows... Re: Non TMBG: Soul Coughing-Liner notes (again) Re: Non TMBG: Soul Coughing-Liner notes (again) Re: TMBG: Gainesville show TMBG: NO TMBG CONTENT poll Re: TMBG: NO TMBG CONTENT poll TMBG: Just in case Re: TMBG: NO TMBG CONTENT poll Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <3514F257.BA615163@mix-net.net> Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 11:13:29 +0000 From: CfeenyC Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: 3 inch CDs On my 3" TNAC, there is "I'll Sink Manhattan" but it sounds like the quality sounds worse than it does on Misc T. and Then:, and there might be an extra ring at the start of the song. 3" cd's are so cool! -Chris "Feeny" Campbell --Who just got his DLS 3", and O Tannenbuam in the mail, which came the same day that kid got blown in Vermont. I orderd it over the Internet too :-o ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19980322095138.00717cf0@mailbox.ucdavis.edu> Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 09:51:48 -0800 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: new web site > The new web site is here. I hope it's all ready to go. >Check out www.tmbg.org, and read the welcome letter for more >information. All I can say is "Wow!" Good job, Leo! The site looks way spiffy. --nicole the wonder nerd *** "Do not kill yourself until you have tried integration by parts."--former math prof Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn Public PGP key at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn/key.html ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980322165214.006b6cb4@130.127.28.14> Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 16:52:14 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: 3/21 show! Hey all! I got back from their first stop on the tour, the 3/21 show at the House Of Blues in Myrtle Beach... I took around 19 pictures that I'll have up on the WWW fairly soon. The opening act was Double Dong, and they were incredible! Very different...they describe the type of music they play as "rap-apella"... Their CD has 15 songs and is only $8...well worth it! TMBG was great, although no new songs were debuted. A few funny things: Flans and Hal kept unplugging themselves, to the dismay of their amazingly good stage manager, who would leap out on stage and fix everything incredibly quickly. :) They also asked us to clap along on the 3rd verse of every song (well, the ones that have a 3rd verse). The other memorable thing was meeting (gasp) the only other South Carolinian on the list!!! :) Well, I wasn't able to score a setlist, but I think this is what all they played (from memory), in absolutely no order: Opening: Critic's intro Why Does The Sun Shine? Georgie Girl (introduced as a Tesla song) Finished With Lies ("so new it hasn't been recorded yet") Counterfeit Faker (reference to the Alabama Theater next door) Older They Got Lost (the cool fast version) Ana Ng Lie Still, Little Bottle (with the "killing stick") Shoehorn With Teeth Birdhouse In Your Soul Istanbul Particle Man Twisting Exquisite Dead Guy (complete with puppets) New York City Till My Head Falls Off SEXXY XTC Vs. Adam Any No One Knows My Plan James K. Polk (with the cannon) Spy Dig My Grave Spider/The Guitar I wanted to try to hunt them down after the show, but I was too tired. :P I still have my stub and a handful of confetti and shredded money, so I guess it was worth it. :) -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980322170044.0069dcd0@130.127.28.14> Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 17:00:44 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Um, something I forgot Oh yeah, they played She's Actual Size at the 3/21 show too. :P -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 15:26:55 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: They Got Lost || New Site Message-ID: <19980322.152735.12854.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) hEY HeY! >They Got Lost (the cool fast version) anyone here heard a song called "growing old" (i think it's by Origin).... i dunno, i was listening to it and wondering why it sounded so familiar when i realized that it sounds a lot like TGL... >All I can say is "Wow!" Good job, Leo! > The site looks way spiffy. yeahyeah... Leo's the man! :) take it easy, :::JOrdaN::: http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html "They Might Be Giants is available now in shopping mall record stores, under the Ts, right next to Tiffany." ---JOhN Flansburgh '88 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <01BD55A9.FE465CA0@s116b.rcn.nmt.edu> From: Refund Subject: RE: TMBG: They Got Lost || New Site Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 15:48:39 -0700 I, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the state of New Mexico do hereby bestow upon Leo Bicknell the title of 'The Man.' So let it be written, so let it be told. Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG ambassador to the state of New Mexico, and official giver of sed title. -----Original Message----- From: Joda: Master of Yedi [SMTP:tmbgirl@juno.com] Sent: Sunday, March 22, 1998 3:27 PM To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: They Got Lost || New Site hEY HeY! >They Got Lost (the cool fast version) anyone here heard a song called "growing old" (i think it's by Origin).... i dunno, i was listening to it and wondering why it sounded so familiar when i realized that it sounds a lot like TGL... >All I can say is "Wow!" Good job, Leo! > The site looks way spiffy. yeahyeah... Leo's the man! :) take it easy, :::JOrdaN::: http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html "They Might Be Giants is available now in shopping mall record stores, under the Ts, right next to Tiffany." ---JOhN Flansburgh '88 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 19:10:26 -0500 (EST) From: Sean Stolon Subject: TMBG: 3/26/98 Orlando Show Message-Id: Hey there, I guess one could call this pitiful, but its for TMBG so its ok right? I'm in Tampa (outside of Tampa actually) and I will be attending the show in St. Pete. I also want to go to the Orlando show the next day, but of course two rides that I have set up have screwed me over. I guess I'm begging for a ride :). If anybody that lives near Tampa is going to the Orlando show, its time for us to meet and become the bestest of friends. You can email me at sstolon@intnet.net..I'd be willing to pay for some if not all gas for the ride. Thanks.. Sean ------------------------------ From: Spoonerism Message-ID: <30e3c393.3515cf3f@aol.com> Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 21:55:57 EST Subject: TMBG: TMBList Digest? Does anyone know if I can get this list in a Digest Format? My mailbox had some important things in it, and they were all pushed out of the metaphorical electronic mailbox and runover by metaphorical cars. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks -Casey ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 23:32:27 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: 3/21 show! Message-ID: <19980322.233249.12246.3.jbparke@juno.com> From: jbparke@juno.com (Jeff Parker) >The opening act was Double Dong, and they were incredible! Very >different...they describe the type of music they play as >"rap-apella"... Double Dong was definitely a good opening act... the majority of their songs had to do with sex and were backed up by a very impressive "human beat box". They also seemed to enjoy groping and rubbing up against each other, especially the two guys...hmmmm... a very original group and very entertaining. > The other memorable thing was meeting (gasp) the only other South Carolinian on > the list!!! :) We're a rare and special breed, I'm sure everyone wishes they lived here... :P >Well, I wasn't able to score a setlist, but I think this is what all >they >played (from memory), in absolutely no order: > >Opening: Critic's intro >Why Does The Sun Shine? >Georgie Girl (introduced as a Tesla song) >Finished With Lies ("so new it hasn't been recorded yet") >Counterfeit Faker (reference to the Alabama Theater next door) >Older >They Got Lost (the cool fast version) >Ana Ng >Lie Still, Little Bottle (with the "killing stick") >Shoehorn With Teeth >Birdhouse In Your Soul >Istanbul >Particle Man >Twisting >Exquisite Dead Guy (complete with puppets) >New York City >Till My Head Falls Off >SEXXY >XTC Vs. Adam Any >No One Knows My Plan >James K. Polk (with the cannon) >Spy >Dig My Grave >Spider/The Guitar I think you remembered all of them except that they also played Dr. Worm... Also, to add to the They drug debate, during one of the songs, I don't know which one, Flans pretended like he was smokin a joint and passed it off to Hal... hmmm, what could it mean, and does it really matter? That's it... v^v Jeffro v^v _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 23:51:58 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Short term memory loss... Message-ID: <19980322.235347.4510.1.jbparke@juno.com> From: jbparke@juno.com (Jeff Parker) Guess us South Carolinians can't remember very well... They also played I Am Not Your Broom... That's it... v^v Jeffro v^v _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 14:24:39 -0600 (CST) From: "Christopher M. Stangl" Subject: Re: TMBG: The Frente Connection Message-ID: On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, Eric Webber (EIN tech) wrote: > Didn't anyone consider that the thanks may just be because TMBG was an > influence on Frente, or Suzanne Vega or whoever. It dosen't have to mean > that John or John actually did personal favors for the bands. That's a fine idea... but I fail to see any They Might Be Giants influence on Suzanne Vega, and Linnell *did* do a personal favor for her, so... -Chris Stangl > On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, Christopher M. Stangl wrote: > > > On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, Bongo wrote: > > > > > Has anyone ever noticed that Frente's "Shape" CD thanks > > > "tmbg" (among other bands) in the album notes? Why the > > > gratitude? > > > > The usual reasons would have something to do with the fact that > > they toured together for a little while. Soul Coughing also thanks our > > boys in the liner notes of "Irresistible Bliss", for this same reason. > > Suzanne Vega thanks "Flansburgh and Linnell for being helpful" in > > the notes of "Days of Open Hand"... this is weird to me, because Linnell > > plays accordion on "Tired of Sleeping", but Flansburgh does *nothing* that > > I can see... > > -Chris Stangl > > > > > > --- > Eric Webber - Electronic Information Network > desk- 412.622.1944 page- 412.272.1854 > webbere@clpgh.org wubba@tmbg.org > p-wolves@mailexcite.com > ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 15:02:07 -0600 (CST) From: "Christopher M. Stangl" Subject: Re: TMBG: what to wear to the shows... Message-ID: On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, Joda: Master of Yedi wrote: > > Soul Coughing also thanks our boys in the liner notes of > > "Irresistible Bliss", for this same reason. > > well... that and didn't flans direct one of their videos? Yeah, but *after* the liner notes were written. > >I'm planning on wearing -- get this -- a TMBG shirt. > > ::::This question has bugged me for a reeeally long time:::: > can i ask why people feel the need to wear a band's shirt to that band's > show? i mean, if you're there, everyone will know that you like the > band.... and wearing it for the "cheap plug" kinda vibe isnt' gonna do > you much good either, since well everyone is at the show so they're gonna > have heard of them... > any ideas? I don't. I refuse to be a walking advertisement for *anything*, even something I really believe in, like They Might Be Giants, or Washington apples. That's why I wear a suit and tie all day, every day. -Chris Stangl ------------------------------ From: BrthrJuan Message-ID: <25bc867e.3516ce96@aol.com> Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 16:05:24 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: what to wear to the shows... all i know is that a friend of mine goes to every show wearing cow pants hoping that they play cowtown. he has been lucky and seen it twice. besides that hawaiin shirts always make a nice addition to any outfit. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19980323215836.007a0100@mail-in.keme.net> Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 21:58:36 +0000 From: cOliN eLLEsLeY Hey TMBG fans, I would like to know how many UK residents are on this list? There are few of us, so speak up guys! You know you want to. Are TMBG ever (EVER!!!) going to tour the UK. HAve TMBG ever toured the UK or was I asleep for that period of time? Those in the UK or in fact anywhere, mail me. - Colin (Squid@thelimes.keme.co.uk) ,,'',,'',,'',,'',,'',,'',,'',,'',,'' No-one knows these things but me and him, so I'm writing everything down in a spiral notebook, in the hopes that one day other people will feel as low as this... sad, sad, sad, sad, why must I be sad? - They Might Be Giants "Why must I be sad?" ,,'',,'',,'',,'',,'',,'',,'',,'',,'' ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 15:23:49 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Re: UK-dom Message-ID: <19980323.152354.13894.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) hEY HEy! >Are TMBG ever (EVER!!!) >going to tour the UK. i doubt they will unless they put out another "hit" album (in the likes of Flood).... right now i'm more concerned with whether or not they plan on ever touring in the western portion of their very own USA... > HAve TMBG ever toured the UK yeah, i believe they toured in england back in late '89... where were you? :) take it easy, JOrdaN-UK http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html "i'm not in the UK but it's fun to tag onto the end of words" _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9803232255.AA10632@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Re: UK-dom Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 17:55:30 -0500 (EST) > hEY HEy! > > >Are TMBG ever (EVER!!!) > >going to tour the UK. > > i doubt they will unless they put out another "hit" album (in the likes > of Flood).... right now i'm more concerned with whether or not they plan > on ever touring in the western portion of their very own USA... > > > HAve TMBG ever toured the UK > > yeah, i believe they toured in england back in late '89... where were > you? :) I'm pretty sure they toured Britain in '90 and '92 as well, at least up through Apollo 18. I don't know if they made a John Henry appearance, they definitely didn't play there for Factory Showroom, though. It's funny that they'll play Australia and Japan, soooo far away, yet they won't take the 6 hour flight to Europe, doesn't make a lot of sense. /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 16:45:14 -0800 (PST) From: CassiniRocks Subject: Re: TMBG: what to wear to the shows... Message-ID: On Mon, 23 Mar 1998, Christopher M. Stangl wrote: > > > > ::::This question has bugged me for a reeeally long time:::: > > can i ask why people feel the need to wear a band's shirt to that band's > > show? i mean, if you're there, everyone will know that you like the > > band.... and wearing it for the "cheap plug" kinda vibe isnt' gonna do > > you much good either, since well everyone is at the show so they're gonna > > have heard of them... > > any ideas? i always wear my WDTSS t-shirt just to comfuse those outta the proverbial TMBG loop who come up to me and say, "What kinda shirt is that? Didja make it or something?" then look at me as if i'm some sort of freak child... jillian ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ it is 5am and the sun has charred the other side of the world and come back to us and painted the smoke over our heads an imperial violet. -- soul coughing ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ jillian a'lee redroom@pe.net > I don't. I refuse to be a walking advertisement for *anything*, > even something I really believe in, like They Might Be Giants, or > Washington apples. That's why I wear a suit and tie all day, every day. > -Chris Stangl > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3517262D.F72C31DF@ix.netcom.com> Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 22:19:14 -0500 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: WECB Subject: Re: Non TMBG: Soul Coughing-Liner notes (again) > > > > > Soul Coughing also thanks our boys in the liner notes of > > > "Irresistible Bliss", for this same reason. > > > > well... that and didn't flans direct one of their videos? > > Yeah, but *after* the liner notes were written. TMBG are thanked in the liner notes to "Bliss" because The Johns had Soul Coughing tour with them (a la Lincoln or the Candy Butchers) during their "Ruby Vrroom" Days. If you'd like more info on it, go to www.soulcoughing.com The Five Percent Nation is run by my friend and contains all info on the Cough... Amanda (Desk Queen) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 22:05:22 -0600 (CST) From: "Christopher M. Stangl" Subject: Re: Non TMBG: Soul Coughing-Liner notes (again) Message-ID: On Mon, 23 Mar 1998, Amanda Nichols wrote: > > > > Soul Coughing also thanks our boys in the liner notes of > > > > "Irresistible Bliss", for this same reason. > > > > > > well... that and didn't flans direct one of their videos? > > > > Yeah, but *after* the liner notes were written. > > TMBG are thanked in the liner notes to "Bliss" because The Johns had Soul > Coughing tour with them (a la Lincoln or the Candy Butchers) during their "Ruby > Vrroom" Days. If you'd like more info on it, go to www.soulcoughing.com The > Five Percent Nation is run by my friend and contains all info on the Cough... > Amanda (Desk Queen) Which is what I was saying in the first place... But anyway, any excuse to plug www.soulcoughing.com is fine by me. -Chris Stangl ------------------------------ From: MatFoley99 Message-ID: <970a3e80.351747ac@aol.com> Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 00:42:02 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Gainesville show Howdy howdy howdy! Well, sportsfans, I just got back from my first ever tmbg show...don't jump on my back quite yet, I wasn't introduced untill like a year ago...Goodness gracious, wow! I can't believe how great that was! I can't wait untill Thursday, when I see them again in Orlando! My friend got the setlist, we were right up in the front...the girl in front of me got to play Flans's guitar...I got in the conga line...wow! I tell ya, though, that Double Dong band is very...ummmm...unique...they sang a song for my girl-space-friend standing next to me...crazy stuff. Okay, well, just b/c the question's been floating around...I wore one of my tmbg shirts to the show, and bought another one there, and wore that one over my other one. So, that answers that...I'm just curious to see if there were any other listees at the show, I doubt it, but I know there's some going Thursday...can't wait to see you there! Chris "I just lost my voice for the first time ever" Brannan ------------------------------ From: BenMoobil Message-ID: <5b96b340.35175b6f@aol.com> Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 02:06:21 EST Subject: TMBG: NO TMBG CONTENT poll OK if you were a board game what game would you be?> The Ben ------------------------------ From: Argyle me Message-ID: <67945fd4.35175de4@aol.com> Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 02:16:50 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: NO TMBG CONTENT poll << OK if you were a board game what game would you be? >> Trivial Pursuit ; ) angle ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 06:30:16 -0500 (EST) From: Sean Stolon Subject: TMBG: Just in case Message-ID: Hey, Once again I'm going to plea for a ride from Tampa to Orlando (and back I guess) on this coming Thursday (3/26). I want to say that I'm afraid I might hae missed a reply while my isp was down yesterday, but the real reason is I'm getting pathetic and very desperate :). Ok...WEll...sstolon@intnet.net...Thanks.. Sean ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 06:37:17 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: NO TMBG CONTENT poll Message-ID: <19980324.063722.12414.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) hEY HEy! >OK if you were a board game what game would you be?> easily twister on a side note... what's up with the list? is there any reason that i'm getting like 8 copies of every message? take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html I was impressed with how well you filled such a cavernous space at the Beacon last night. "That's because of the pact we made with the Devil," grins JOhNFlansburgh. _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #4-445 ******************************