Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #4-448 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 4, Number 448 Friday, 27 March 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: Double Dong/What Song/Jannus Landing TMBG: Linellian t-shirt Re: TMBG: Double Dong/What Song/Jannus Landing TMBG: Orlando TMBG: OMLT- please read TMBG: OMLT- please read Re: TMBG: Single Mixes Re: TMBG: OMLT- please read TMBG: Non-TMBG board game poll deal thing Re: TMBG: Double Dong/What Song/Jannus Landing TMBG: Shirts TMBG:Concert:St.Pete TMBG: OMLT or not? TMBG: DDong | songs | st. petersburg show Re: TMBG: DDong | songs | st. petersburg show TMBG: OMLT Collection call TMBG: OMLT-Christi please read this!! TMBG: ADRIAN??? Re: TMBG: Non-TMBG board game poll deal thing TMBG: a small OMLT update Re: TMBG: OMLT Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: ArwenAnaNg Message-ID: <9e367035.351a6871@aol.com> Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 09:38:40 EST Subject: TMBG: Double Dong/What Song/Jannus Landing I'd be curious to know what some others think of TMBG's current opening act "Double Dong". I really wanted to like them... but they only had one "sound" to all of their songs... kind of like Bobby McFarin meets Run DMC and Yoko Ono on LSD. As for the new thread "What TMBG song describes you best?", I'd be amiss if I didn't say AnaNg (my chosen internet namesake), but it does change from time to time. Currently (since I went to the Jannus Landing concert last night) I'd have to say "No One Knows My Plan" -- not simply because of the wild conga line, but I often feel as if no one could possibly know (or understand) the things that go on in my head. As for last night's concert, it was a rather dissapointing turn out, the place was half as packed as last year. But it was obvious that the John's were enjoying themselves on a warm breezy Florida night. Flans addressed the crowd by telling us that even though they were screwing up a lot, they realy enjoyed the venue and we were "a bright spot on a very dark planet". It was my first concert where I witnessed Flans playing the "stick", and I enjoyed it enormously. The crowd was, as always, a very interesting cross section of people... I'd say skewed a little older (my age, 28+ or so). I'm almost certain I saw Sean Stolton, but I was way into my own freaky-groove dance-mode to make introductions. Hi Sean! Maybe I'll see you in Orlando tonight! Cheers all! Arwen "Driving to Orlando because I just can't get enough" AnaNg ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9803261433.AA13117@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Linellian t-shirt Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 09:33:57 -0500 (EST) > << (definition: Linnellian t-shirt - a solid color pocket t-shirt, like > those worn by John Linnell) > >> > > Yah know, I've seen them 3 times live, and Jonh Linnell whore the SAME shirt! > 3 years running!!!!!!!!! > > Difinition: Linellian t-shirt - a solid pocket t-shirt, greenish-blue in > color, like the ONE worn by Jonh Linnell > > Sorry, just a ridiculous observation I just felt the need to share with the > world... While Linnell does often wear that kind of shirt, and I have a Linnellian green shirt myself he did wear a button up collared shirt that he got for Christmas in Dec. '96 in DC. He thought he was the only one wearing his Christmas gift clothes ;) /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980326113908.006969c4@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 11:39:08 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Double Dong/What Song/Jannus Landing At 09:38 AM 3/26/98 EST, ArwenAnaNg wrote: >I'd be curious to know what some others think of TMBG's current opening act >"Double Dong". I really wanted to like them... but they only had one "sound" >to all of their songs... kind of like Bobby McFarin meets Run DMC and Yoko Ono >on LSD. I really enjoyed them. Their CD is a bit more varied than their live show, even including some light instrumentation at times. TTYL, -Adam ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 12:48:45 -0500 (EST) From: Sean Stolon Subject: TMBG: Orlando Message-ID: Hey there, Well, it looks like I'll be risking the drive in my car to the Orlando show. I should be there at a damned early time in hopes of getting to talk to one of the John's I suppose. If anyone else is going to be there, I'll be in a red shirt, jeans, I have long hair and I'm tall and lanky. Cya there. Sean ------------------------------ Message-ID: <351AA2BE.47F80C6D@iag.net> Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 13:47:27 -0500 From: John Lambert Subject: TMBG: OMLT- please read I, too ordered an OMLT. I've waited and waited and waited and waited and waited, yet no shirt. I completely understand the great amount of work involved in this venture. I support Christy "goddess of the shoes" in her task. YET... when someone volenteers to provide a service and money is exchanged in regards to that promise, I'm naturally concerned when I don't have my shirt 5 months later. (my money was received on 10-10-97) As far as I know, (please keep in mind that this is just WHAT I KNOW) the shirts have NOT been: ordered from the supplier, received from the supplier or shipped to ANYONE on the list. Christy is trying to get into college, which is very commendable (but I still don't have a shirt), but if she can't do it then we all need a refund and we need to find someone who CAN get it done. I want my shirt from Christy, who btw seems to be a great girl, but I want it soon. I know she's not an international conglomerate who can have thousands of shirt produced in hours, but she DID cash all of our checks and by doing that (I'm sure her father the lawyer will agree) she showed that she accepted our contract to purchase our OMLT's from her. I don't want her to read this and think I'm starting a rebellion or something. I like Christy. I just want my shirt. MAKE TIME for getting them produced. MAKE TIME for living up to what was promised. Anyone who just wants to say "I agree" or "me too" send it to me directly, don't clutter the list. If you find my thoughts disturbing and you have an opinion speak up. If you have something to add or new facts for us, speak up. Brother John "Green Jello" Lambert (a listee for many many many moons) p.s. Please help Christy as much as you can by providing her with updated information, if neccessary, like new addresses or new ways for her to contact you. p.s.s. Christy, if you want to throw your shoes at me because of this... please don't. I don't have anything against you. Please respond. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <351AA2EE.98994347@iag.net> Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 13:48:14 -0500 From: John Lambert Subject: TMBG: OMLT- please read I, too ordered an OMLT. I've waited and waited and waited and waited and waited, yet no shirt. I completely understand the great amount of work involved in this venture. I support Christy "goddess of the shoes" in her task. YET... when someone volunteers to provide a service and money is exchanged in regards to that promise, I'm naturally concerned when I don't have my shirt 5 months later. (my money was received on 10-10-97) As far as I know, (please keep in mind that this is just WHAT I KNOW) the shirts have NOT been: ordered from the supplier, received from the supplier or shipped to ANYONE on the list. Christy is trying to get into college, which is very commendable (but I still don't have a shirt), but if she can't do it then we all need a refund and we need to find someone who CAN get it done. I want my shirt from Christy, who btw seems to be a great girl, but I want it soon. I know she's not an international conglomerate who can have thousands of shirt produced in hours, but she DID cash all of our checks and by doing that (I'm sure her father the lawyer will agree) she showed that she accepted our contract to purchase our OMLT's from her. I don't want her to read this and think I'm starting a rebellion or something. I like Christy. I just want my shirt. MAKE TIME for getting them produced. MAKE TIME for living up to what was promised. Anyone who just wants to say "I agree" or "me too" send it to me directly, don't clutter the list. If you find my thoughts disturbing and you have an opinion speak up. If you have something to add or new facts for us, speak up. Brother John "Green Jello" Lambert (a listee for many many many moons) p.s. Please help Christy as much as you can by providing her with updated information, if necessary, like new addresses or new ways for her to contact you. p.s.s. Christy, if you want to throw your shoes at me because of this... please don't. I don't have anything against you. Please respond. ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 21:44:59 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Single Mixes Message-ID: <19980326.135032.4414.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> Hey! All this talk of single mixes get me to a-thinkin' I recently received the LIMITED EDITION PROMO SINGLES of Sleeping in The Flowers and AKA Driver... I bought AKA Driver because I am obsessive and I have to have everything TMBG made (it has only one song)... But, I bought Sleeping in the Flowers because it came with a radio edit... Now if someone wants to point me in the direction of an mp3 encoder... I could make an mp3 of the rarely heard radio edit of Sleeping In The Flowers.. or I could just make a wav... I also might need a place to post it... like on someone's page... or something... Jish? special offer page? TDK? Un-Live song of the week? Jackyl? anyone... Tim, he is shakin' the tree Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update:They'll Need A Crane Last CD purchase:promo singles _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 11:31:42 -0800 Subject: Re: TMBG: OMLT- please read Message-ID: <19980326.113151.11654.0.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Josh Nielsen) Actually, she hasn't cashed my check yet, but that is because I sent it to her a bit late. She has always been pretty busy, so I'm sure that when she has some time, she'll do it. Josh Nielsen jnielsen69@juno.com http://www.angelfire.com/or/jnielsen/ http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Studio/4091 ICQ #1337243 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: "Groah, Joey S" Subject: TMBG: Non-TMBG board game poll deal thing Message-ID: Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 15:45:17 -0500 (EST) I'd be Mousetrap - Hard to put together, looks like fun, but ultimately running from a bath tub and trapped in a plastic cage. Joey It's actually above 60 degrees in VA. Woo hoo! Glad I'll be inside all evening. Everything is funnier with monkeys - Evan Dorkin Joey Groah groahjs@jmu.edu ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 16:01:02 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Double Dong/What Song/Jannus Landing Message-ID: <19980326.162455.6486.2.gray42@juno.com> The song that best describes me would have to be... Nothing's gonna change my clothes or The spiraling shape will make you go insane On behalf of my friend Jared who is a big fan but is not yet in this club, he is definately... A self called Nowhere Mysterio Gal "They've Garble Warble Fashes" --Slartibartfast ICQ# 9585405 gray42@juno.com _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19980326213348.007bab70@mail-in.keme.net> Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 21:33:48 +0000 From: cOliN eLLEsLeY Subject: TMBG: Shirts Hello British TMBG fans, Is there an outlet I can order TMBG shirts or other merch from? Or do I have to get 'em in from the US and spend my small wage on 'em? --Colin the Thick Brit ===================================== ===================================== "Chinese people were fighting in the park we tried to help them fight no-one appreiciated that" -They Might Be Giants "Purple Toupee" ===================================== ===================================== ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 15:44:54 -0500 Subject: TMBG:Concert:St.Pete Message-ID: <19980326.162454.6486.0.gray42@juno.com> Uuuaaaaaaeeeeegggghhhhuuuummmmm! |D Ah yes, very nice, I'm home for the first time after yesterdays Janis Landing show, and oh boy I'm happy. The last time I went to a TMBG show was when they were touring for John Henry, when Singing In The Flowers was brand new to me (this is because all the following years I had the bad luck of not getting a ride). Not expecting to go at all, I didn't wear my TMBG:Then shirt, and had absolutely no money with me. My friend, Jared, a boy I just recently turned on to TMBG came to my school unexpectedly, and wisked me away into the depths of Sarasota where we waited to go to the concert. Some things were on my mind that were bothering me, and I wasn't in my usual chipper mood, at least I think i should have been happier, but when we finally got to te concert, all my troubles quickly dissapered as I sang along and danced to the music of They Might Be Giants! I saw the puppet heads for the first time, I chanted Peo-Ple! and Ape1 along with the performance dedicated to the battle of the planet of the apes (which I happened to find astoundingly beautiful), I watched as Flans beat a large stick to the beat of Lie still little Bottle, laughed at the sound of that one precios ding in Shoehorn With Teeth, Joined in the always favorite conga line, and savored the moment when Flans signed my ticket stub (which will fit perfectly into my scrapbook). And to top it off I was aloud to spend the night in Sarasota on a school night. I'm still in a state of Nirvanna, That is a concert memory that will stick with me for a lifetime. Jared himself had a bad day, he described the concert as being a very uplifting experience. Ah yes i feel so at peace with myself, no dark thoughts today : ^ D HAPPYHAPPYHAPPYHAPPYHAPPYHAPPYHAPPYHAPPYHAPPYHAPPYHAPPYHA Mysterio Gal "They've Garble Warble Fashes" --Slartibartfast ICQ# 9585405 gray42@juno.com _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980326222511.26278.rocketmail@send1a.yahoomail.com> Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 14:25:11 -0800 (PST) From: Ethuilcalen Subject: TMBG: OMLT or not? Dear Christy, I am writing you to see if you are ever going to let the list know the status of the OMLTs. I understand that you do have a life, and you are busy in that life, but it is your responsibility to at least let others know what's going on, especially when they have sent you money in trust that you will do what you have essentially promised to do. If you find that you simply cannot fit getting the OMLTs into your busy schedule, then please let everyone know that, and return the money. Sincerely, Ethuilcalen _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 15:19:58 -0700 Subject: TMBG: DDong | songs | st. petersburg show Message-ID: <19980326.152009.13302.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) hEY HeY! > but they only had one >"sound" >to all of their songs... kind of like Bobby McFarin meets Run DMC and >Yoko Ono >on LSD. please tell me that i've totally misinterpretted this statement and that you don't really think that Run DMC only has one "Sound" > "What TMBG song describes you best?" geez... what's that flansburgh quote... something about how their songs aren't anthems for adolescence... i dunno, i should dig it up. but anyways, the reason i think this quote is relevant here is that 1) i don't think they write their songs so that kids (people) can relate their life experiences to them 2) you have to totally interpret the songs and well, in many people's cases, MISinterpret the songs to be able to say you relate to them... i mean, take any song (snail shell for example)... you have to get into the whole figurative meaning of the song and what you may be relating to, may be totally different than what they had in mind when writting it... i'm not saying that interpretting the songs in your own way is wrong or bad, obviously that's one of the reasons people become musicians... so that people will interpret their work in various ways it's just that... well, when you guys are saying you relate to this song or that maybe explain your POV on the song in general... > laughed at the >sound of that one precios ding in Shoehorn With Teeth bud, you've been jipped... there should've been three quality dings in that song :) reminds me of the days when dan was brand new (like february or march of '97) and he'd mess that up at almost every show... hitting the wrong note or at the wrong times and such... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html "dinner, you ate it, there is none left. it was salty with butter and it was deaf. you proceded to eat it cuz you was in the mood, but homes you did not read it was a can of dog food... you be illin'" ---Run DMC :) _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 19:00:12 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: DDong | songs | st. petersburg show Message-ID: <19980326.190102.7422.0.gray42@juno.com> JOrdaN wrote: >> laughed at the >>sound of that one precios ding in Shoehorn With Teeth > >bud, you've been jipped... there should've been three quality dings in >that song :) >reminds me of the days when dan was brand new (like february or march >of '97) and he'd mess that up at almost every show... hitting the >wrong note or at the wrong times and such... > whoops, ok, let me rephrase that laughed at the sound of those three precios dings. I meant one in the way that they lay the note once, move on to the rest of the lyrics, ding again, lyrics, ding, lyrics, catch my drift? Mysterio Gal "They've Garble Warble Fashes" --Slartibartfast ICQ# 9585405 gray42@juno.com _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 20:37:19 -0500 (EST) From: Thomas Murphy Subject: TMBG: OMLT Collection call Message-ID: Was sorry at one time that i did not not order a shirt, now i'm just relieved. As we have the OMLT Goddesses address, and have worldwide representation, whoever is closest to the Godess should knock on the door and say "the list would like the shirts or money, please". I'm in Fort Lauderdale, so i'm a bit too far. *#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*# NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot. S.L.C. 1884 Thomas Murphy a010879t@bcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199803270242.UAA23592@mail1.nitco.com> From: "The Cowans" Subject: TMBG: OMLT-Christi please read this!! Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 20:44:02 -0600 Well, I don't know where your e-mail is as of right now, but I don't think that you have ever cashed my check. I sent it in many many months ago and just want to know if you got it. Thanks. Melissa Cowan ------------------------------ From: Yellovinki Message-ID: Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 22:24:21 EST Subject: TMBG: ADRIAN??? Dearest Michiganders, Why Adrian? Where's Adrian? and What's wrong with St. Andrew's or the State Theatre? Some of us Canadian types don't want to be lost in your fine State. DoctorK. ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 26 Mar 98 22:55 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Non-TMBG board game poll deal thing > > >I'd be Mousetrap - Hard to put together, looks like fun, >but ultimately running from a bath tub and trapped in a >plastic cage. I had to laugh at this - at first I said I was Jenga, but later I decided I must be Mousetrap because I look like fun but hardly anyone knows how to play me. ;) Crow -- ============================================================================== "I can't wear a pink shirt! Everyone at work wears a white shirt! I'm not popular enough to be different!" -Homer Simpson Kirsten Brodbeck - kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu - AKA Crow ------------------------------ From: Christi587 Message-ID: <1c5277c4.351b26a0@aol.com> Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 23:10:06 EST Subject: TMBG: a small OMLT update In a message dated 3/25/98 10:05:59 PM, you wrote: >People seem to be getting restless about the OMLTs. Is there any kind >of update you can give at this time? Thanks! : ) As well they should be. I really feel terrible about making you all wait so long (very patiently, too). I have been trying for quite some time now to 1) get in touch with Bob without success (he is having problems with his main career at Geico right now so maybe that's why) and 2) Fix my damn printer so I can get him the design when I finally do reach him. However, both these tasks have been less important than keeping up with the amazingly large amount of schoolwork and college stuff I have to do (can you say financial aid forms?), plus several nights a week and every weekend are eaten up by color guard competitions and rehearsals. I get about five hours of sleep on an average night. Bad luck and a string of bizarre illnesses have also played a part. For instance, last weekend, I had Friday off and intended to get the OMLT crap over with then, but of course, I got sick Thursday night and was sick until, of course, Sunday. Germs have amazing timing that way. I have not even had time to read my TMBG digests for almost two months. Anyway, don't give up hope! OMLTs *will happen* over my spring break (only a week away) when I will have a whole week to deal with them. I will get in touch with Bob and start shirt printing then, regardless of rain, sleet, snow, illness, Act of God, bitchy parents, bitchy bank, or anything else. I *really* mean it. Cross my heart and hope to die and eat a cow manure pie. If you have any further questions, or wish to inform me of an address change, go ahead and e-mail me, but please be patient when waiting for a reply. --Christy ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980326231203.006a5ab4@pop.indy.net> Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 23:12:03 -0500 From: rachel Subject: Re: TMBG: OMLT At 09:52 AM 3/25/98 PST, you wrote: >I would just like to announce my support for those demanding knowledge >on the whereabouts of the OMLTs. I do not, however, mean to offend >anyone. I believe that we need either to pronounce it dead, go on >quickly, or find a reasonable alternative. ok, heres an idea (although probably not a very good one). see, i bought these iron-on-thingys the other day on which you can print images out from your computer, then heat transfer them onto fabric making them permanent. so i was thinking perhaps someone could post the omlt design (if there is one) someplace so's listies could print them out and make their own t's. i know it's not like professional or anything and it won't help those who already lost money. BUT if people really want shirts to locate other listies at shows this method may work. lovies, rachel ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #4-448 ******************************