Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #4-449 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 4, Number 449 Saturday, 28 March 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: OMLTs TMBG: My interview with John Linnell! And Orlando show... Re: TMBG: My interview with John Linnell! And Orlando show... Re: TMBG: OMLT- please read Re: TMBG: My interview with John Linnell! And Orlando show... Re: TMBG: My interview with John Linnell! And Orlando show.. Re: TMBG: ADRIAN??? TMBG: New Mono Puff page up! Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: NitpickR Message-ID: <2e041eab.351b66e9@aol.com> Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 03:44:23 EST Subject: TMBG: OMLTs Hello 41- <> Yippidy yackidy yackidy I say, can't we do anything to squelch the cacaughness squacking of our mite ridden cohorst? Might I suggest she might provide more entertainment if I lopped her freakin' head off! -Lokar Adam ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 10:46:41 -0500 From: Destin Berthelot Subject: TMBG: My interview with John Linnell! And Orlando show... Message-id: <351BC9E1.C5@rollins.edu> So I was a little late for my 5:00 meeting time to interview one of the Johns for my college radio station, but the tour manager was very nice about it... he even said "Oh, so you're... Destin then, right?" Anyway, about five minutes later I was summoned to go interview John Linnell in their tour bus. Very nice tour bus I might add. Linnell was playing his sax in the little lounge in the back. Anyway, I was a bit worried about taling with Linnell, since in all the interviews I've seen he's been the less talkative of the two. However, it turned out pretty damned well, I think. I don't even think I was that nervous, which surprised me, but he was really cool and obviously experienced enough with idiot fanboy interviewers to know how to put them at ease and lead them through. I asked how long he had, and he said he'd let me know... so we actually wound up talking for about 20 minutes. The publicist said I'd have ten. It was actually a pretty decent conversation. Sort of ran out of steam at the end, which isn't good, but he just said "Okay, I think we can wrap it up..." so it wasn't too bad. I haven't listened to it yet, but I think I managed to speak in a manner that I won't find too embarrassing once it's broadcast to a couple thousand potential listeners (next wed. between 5-7 pm on WPRK 91.5 fm, if yer in the area). I'm hoping to put it up in realaudio on my web site, too. I'll let you know. So here's some of the stuff I found out, off the top of my head: -the live album will be called severe tire damage, out in July, it's not all live, there's some new studio tracks. The first single will be a studio version of Dr. Worm. The first track is a live ver. of tmbg got lost. Older won't be on it! Alas. -They did split with elektra, and TMBG were the instigators. Seems the people who were there when tmbg signed in 1989 had all left, and nobody knew what to do with tmbg as far as finding them an audience. So they were "nice enough" to release them from their contract. They're talking to a new label now. He didn't specify, I didn't press. -I forgot to ask about the b-sides comp. Sorry... -They had total control over the albums, art, etc... and most of the say in the singles too. So snail shell WAS their fault. Oh well. -He couldn't really say how their style has changed over the years, or since factory showroom. He thinks flans has really improved as a guitarist, tho. -I talked a bit about .mp3s... he says he supposes they'd be the same as bootleg tapes; okay so long as you don't sell 'em. He says it's easy to be idealistic when it's not your work being undercut... and he really hated when tapes were swiped from the studio. I guess he may have meant the factory showroom sessions... -solo projects... he said the mono puff album should be out in a few weeks.. and he is still working on state songs. He's got several songs for some states, and none for others. So it may never be completed. But he says he'd like to release it, if he can find a willing label. -He doesn't know exactly who his audience is, but he said he knows several people with toddlers who really dig tmbg. -the depressing moment: he said he could foresee a time when the band was struggling again. Had to feel bad for that... -He thinks the band has been a success most of the time, but feels sometimes they didn't quite "hit it out of the ballpark"... didn't quite make a song live up to its full potential. That covers most of it... I brought my booklets for then and fs, and asked him to sign either one, and he signed both. "John Sid." The show was great... energetic and a great setlist. They played for about 1:40 or so. They even played purple toupee, which they said Hal Cragin had only played maybe once and only in rehearsal, beacuse someone was screaming for it. I also got to hear other stuff I hadn't heard live before, like ana ng, lie still little bottle, don't let's start, the sun, battle for the planet of the apes (people won), tmbg got lost, the full dr. worm, the cd-fast-forward version of shoehorn, the sign mixed with particle man... just a great show. Got one o' them really cool TMBG giant killer bug t-shirts, cos they didn't have ringers like in the catalog. All in all, a pretty good tmbg day. I was right next to the Linnell-side speaker, and my ears are still ringing a bit... nothing wrong with that. Destin ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980327114552.0069fa50@130.127.28.14> Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 11:45:52 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: My interview with John Linnell! And Orlando show... Mr. Berthelot, you are a god among men. Thank you __so__ much for posting this! :) -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: SMILEY7559 Message-ID: Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 12:27:45 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: OMLT- please read In a message dated 98-03-26 13:53:13 EST, you write: << tmbg-list@tmbg.org >> What exactly are OMLT's? Sorry for sounding out of the loop....but I have been for a few weeks, so I'm a bit behind. All I know is someone named Christy is busy and hasn't had a chance to make them or send them or whatever. I just want to know what they are exactly. Thanks! Oh yea, I know you guys of all people will understand my disappointment in the news I am about to tell: I have tickets to tonight's show in Boston at the Avalon, and I can't go!! I am old enough, it's 18+ and I'm 19, but you need a license, state ID or passport. Neither of which I have, and in order to get a state ID, (which I need anyway) I need my birth certificate which has been missing freakishly for the past few weeks...so Instead of sitting home miserable for missing the show, my friends and I are all going to Laser Rage at the Museum of Science, but it won't be the same because The John's won't be there, there will be no puppets, and no conga line. I knew you guys would understand my dissappointment. Thanks for reading. Everyone going tonight, have a great time! Julie :) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <351C2D24.5C32@geocities.com> Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 14:50:12 -0800 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: My interview with John Linnell! And Orlando show... Destin Berthelot wrote: > -the live album will be called severe tire damage, out in July, it's > not > all live, there's some new studio tracks. The first single will be a > studio version of Dr. Worm. The first track is a live ver. of tmbg got > lost. Sounds good. I just hope that They stick with new tracks (whether live or studio recordings), and stay away from live versions of old songs, unless they sound significantly different from the studio versions. > Older won't be on it! Alas. Did Linnell say that "Older" won't be released at all, or just that it won't be on the album? Methinks it might make a good EP B-side. > -They had total control over the albums, art, etc... and most of the > say > in the singles too. So snail shell WAS their fault. Oh well. What do you mean by that "Snail Shell" comment? Are you saying that "Snail Shell" shouldn't have been released on a single, or what? > -the depressing moment: he said he could foresee a time when the band > was struggling again. Had to feel bad for that... I hope this won't happen, unless crisis brings out the best in Them. -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ From: Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 15:57:15 CST Subject: Re: TMBG: My interview with John Linnell! And Orlando show.. Message-ID: <19D0B2B3862@athena.valpo.edu> in regards to the tension in the band thing, do you know if it was between the johns and the other band members, everybody in the band, or between linell and flansburgh? jeremy [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "Instead of creating new weapons of destruction, we ought to get some use out of the ones we already have." Deep Thoughts [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: or p356jskrenes@exodus.valpo.edu Wehrenberg Hall Airwaves: Sunday nights, 12-2am 95.1, WVUR Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 17:36:14 -0500 From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: Re: TMBG: ADRIAN??? >Why Adrian? Because my sister, who works in Student Services there, persuaded her friend in Campus Events to set up the concert. >Where's Adrian? In the southeast corner of the state, near Ohio. About 45 minutes southwest of Ann Arbor and an hour from Detroit. -- ,, Jonathan Chaffer http://www.tmbg.org/ ->QQ<- Student, University of Michigan _||_ "Anything ragged or rotten or rusty-- yes, I love trash." --Oscar ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 22:02:00 -0500 (EST) From: The Demonic Kangaroo Subject: TMBG: New Mono Puff page up! Message-ID: Howdy folks.. I just put up a new site, dedicated to Mono Puff. It has live pics (new ones coming next week) and a new Mono Puff mp3 every week! This week, the title track off their next album, It's Fun to Steal. Enjoy! -Mike http://members.tripod.com/~teedeekay/monopuff.html http://www.cybercomm.net/~tdk/tmbg.html http://www.cybercomm.net/~tdk/lincoln.html ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #4-449 ******************************