Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #4-450 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 4, Number 450 Sunday, 29 March 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: Double Dong / TMBG Re: TMBG: Double Dong / TMBG Re: TMBG: Double Dong / TMBG TMBG: struggling Re: TMBG: Single Mixes Re: TMBG: Single Mixes TMBG: Strugling TMBG: struggling Re: TMBG: Strugling + Non-TMBG-Re: "I'm an idiot"-Feeny Part 5 semiTMBG: secret movie message TMBG: more on my Linnell interview... TMBG: lots of stufF Re: TMBG: more on my Linnell interview... Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980328114253.006977b0@130.127.28.14> Date: Sat, 28 Mar 1998 11:42:53 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Double Dong / TMBG I played the 2nd track off of Double Dong's CD (I Am The Condor? At least that's what I call it.) on a radio show I co-host last night, and I actually had someone call in and ask how they could get a copy. :) That same person requested Exquisite Dead Guy (which he called Excellent Dead Guy, but I knew what he meant), but I had to tell him the policy on playing TMBG. :( We're thinking about having a few people call-in during normal business hours and repeatedly request TMBG...maybe if there's enough demand, playing them'll be considered acceptable. :P TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: Strawbos69 Message-ID: <2bc56696.351d2b45@aol.com> Date: Sat, 28 Mar 1998 11:54:27 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Double Dong / TMBG In a message dated 98-03-28 11:51:01 EST, ctyner@CLEMSON.EDU writes: << We're thinking about having a few people call-in during normal business hours and repeatedly request TMBG...maybe if there's enough demand, playing them'll be considered acceptable. :P >> And that phone # would beeeee???????? ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980328121656.0069773c@130.127.28.14> Date: Sat, 28 Mar 1998 12:16:56 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Double Dong / TMBG At 11:54 AM 3/28/98 EST, Strawbos69 wrote: > >And that phone # would beeeee???????? 864-656-WSBF. :) -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199803281941.OAA12505@sable.cc.vt.edu> Date: Sat, 28 Mar 1998 14:47:13 +0500 From: higs Subject: TMBG: struggling You know, for the last couple years i've thought maybe they were having musical disputes about what type of sound they want to have. it seems like for the last two albums, there is a distinctive difference in style between the Linnel songs and the Flansburgh ones. has anyone else noticed this? not to mention Linnel has had two solo singles and Flansy has a whole other band. and now that i think about it, only Linnell came to the interview. maybe the reason is that Flansburgh was on tour with MonoPuff, but perhaps they were having disagreements and didn't want to appear together disagreeing with each other (that one's just an unsupported theory). I think TMBG is greater than the sum of its two main parts, so i would never want them to split. but, while it would dissapoint me, i wouldn't really be shocked because it seems clear that the two Johns want to take their music in separate directions. i guess there's no way to know for sure, though. ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 14:15:24 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Single Mixes Message-ID: <19980328.145730.13398.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> Hello! Train here! I received some requests for my mp3 of the Sleeping in The Flowers Radio edit and the Jackyl was the first to respond... so I will be uploading the mp3 to his page once I FIGURE OUT HOW TO MAKE ONE!!!! I downloaded a CD Ripper called Audiograbber and it made an mp3 that sounded like when you put a CDROM into an audio CD player... can anyone help? Tim, he could be Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update:They'll Need A Crane Last CD purchase:John Henry w/ bonus live tracks (told you I was obsessive) _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980328202733.006be588@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Sat, 28 Mar 1998 14:27:33 -0600 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: Single Mixes At 02:15 PM 3/27/98 -0500, mr.train@juno.com wrote: >Hello! Train here! >I received some requests for my mp3 of the Sleeping in The Flowers Radio >edit and the Jackyl was the first to respond... so I will be uploading >the mp3 to his page once I FIGURE OUT HOW TO MAKE ONE!!!! >I downloaded a CD Ripper called Audiograbber and it made an mp3 that >sounded like when you put a CDROM into an audio CD player... can anyone >help? I myself never figured out how to get those damn CD-rippers to work, I think they only work with specific CDROMS. My MP3ing process now goes: 1. Put CD in CD ROM 2. Use Wave encoder to make a wav file of it. 3. Then I use MPFiler to encode it into an MP3, you can go DL it from www.mp3.com 4. Delete the .wav. LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19980328210141.007c5100@mail-in.keme.net> Date: Sat, 28 Mar 1998 21:01:41 +0000 From: cOliN eLLEsLeY Subject: TMBG: Strugling You know, for the last couple years i've thought maybe they were having musical disputes about what type of sound they want to have. it seems like for the last two albums, there is a distinctive difference in style between the Linnel songs and the Flansburgh ones. has anyone else noticed this? not to mention Linnel has had two solo singles and Flansy has a whole other band. and now that i think about it, only Linnell came to the interview. maybe the reason is that Flansburgh was on tour with MonoPuff, but perhaps they were having disagreements and didn't want to appear together disagreeing with each other (that one's just an unsupported theory). I think TMBG is greater than the sum of its two main parts, so i would never want them to split. but, while it would dissapoint me, i wouldn't really be shocked because it seems clear that the two Johns want to take their music in separate directions. i guess there's no way to know for sure, though. Hey man, If tmbg split i would be distrought. All my fave bands have now parted the scene and it is just too depressing to see such talent fade. All the best musicial talents are dropping like flies in the UK. Let's just hope the US musicicians are a bit more resilient to bust ups etc. --Colin the Thick Brit ===================================== ===================================== "Chinese people were fighting in the park we tried to help them fight no-one appreiciated that" -They Might Be Giants "Purple Toupee" ===================================== ===================================== ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9803282320.AA15067@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: struggling Date: Sat, 28 Mar 1998 18:20:41 -0500 (EST) > You know, for the last couple years i've thought maybe they were > having musical disputes about what type of sound they want to have. it > seems like for the last two albums, there is a distinctive difference in > style between the Linnel songs and the Flansburgh ones. has anyone else > noticed this? not to mention Linnel has had two solo singles and Flansy has > a whole other band. and now that i think about it, only Linnell came to the > interview. maybe the reason is that Flansburgh was on tour with MonoPuff, > but perhaps they were having disagreements and didn't want to appear > together disagreeing with each other (that one's just an unsupported > theory). I think TMBG is greater than the sum of its two main parts, so i > would never want them to split. but, while it would dissapoint me, i > wouldn't really be shocked because it seems clear that the two Johns want to > take their music in separate directions. i guess there's no way to know for > sure, though. There's a couple of important things to note here. While They have done interviews together they have often done interviews by themselves. often, I'm sure they feel that one of them can take care of an interview by themselves, I mean they each know the heart and soul of the band and I'm sure either feels they can field any interview questions. Also, while I do see some distinct styles between the 2 i think they feed off thodse different styles to make what is known as TMBG. There are these two unique, but very talented fellows writing music for TMBG and to be able to input their varying views on the music and create these different musical styles only can allow the band to endure. They are not so different that they feel they must break up in my opinion. I don't think they'd be making new records and touring if they didn't want the band to thrive, they would probably just go into the studio or tour seperately were that the case. -Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980328221356.009bc100@mail.csrlink.net> Date: Sat, 28 Mar 1998 22:13:56 -0500 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: Re: TMBG: Strugling + Non-TMBG-Re: "I'm an idiot"-Feeny Part 5 At 09:01 PM 3/28/98 +0000, you wrote: and now that i think about it, only Linnell came to the >interview. maybe the reason is that Flansburgh was on tour with MonoPuff, >but perhaps they were having disagreements and didn't want to appear >together disagreeing with each other (that one's just an unsupported >theory). Well, of course, since the guy who did the interview went to a TMBG show that night, you could probably assume that Mono Puff is not touring. I actually think it's totally foolish to take anything from the fact that the interview was Linnell alone. Of interviews I have on bootleg, I'd say fully half are of just one John. On another note, props go out to HallOfEyes for pointing out to Feeny that his big proof that he is emailing Flansburgh was nothing at all. In fact, it seems to me that it is the opposite, someone gets some news off Usenet, feeds it to Feeny, etc etc. I dunno, but you really do wonder about people who just refuse to see the plain facts when they're put right in front of them. Well, just for entertainment value Chris, I'd like to see you start sending those mails from Flans to the list, with all the vital email address info removed of course. Dylan "Bitter, sarcastic, flowery fresh smelling-Much like Mike Leffel" Flipse Dylan Flipse...one of them. - dflipse@csrlink.net Dylan's page is at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ for now. I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed -They Might Be Giants, the coolest thing this side of Zaphod Beeblebrox. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Mar 1998 19:24:18 -0800 (PST) From: winningh Subject: semiTMBG: secret movie message Message-ID: Hey, If any of you have HBO be sure to watch their movie on historic media personality Walter Wynchell. The long haired protestor girl at the 1968 Columbia University riots singing I Should Be Allowed To Think with historically innaccurate gusto is me! Sarah "Hollywood Queen" Winningham ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Mar 1998 23:34:18 -0500 (EST) From: Destin.Berthelot@Rollins.Edu Subject: TMBG: more on my Linnell interview... Message-id: <01IV7U1289360007W3@Fox.Rollins.Edu> Organization: Rollins College My computer chose yesterday to suddenly stop loading windows 95, which means that I haven't been able to email for a while and I've got all sorts of mail about the interview. First off, a couple things I forgot: -Flans has written a new song, which they haven't learned yet, called "Working Undercover for the Man". Linnell agreed with me that he seems to really dig the spy themes... -They'll be bringing a vibraphone player along on the next tour. Can't believe I forgot those. Especially the last one, that was some pretty neato news, I thought. Anyway, I got a lot of mail from people... I'm not really interested in doing a tape trade... I've gotten dissed several times from them, and anyway, it just seems kinda wrong for some reason... I did the interview, and Mr. Linnell agreed to do it, for broadcast to anyone who could hear it... I'm going to try and do a realaudio encoding of it soon, as I said, because I think that's more representative of the original intent. I dunno, I just think I got what I wanted out of it and I don't want to feel like I'm trying to get some more personal gain because woo, I got this cool interview on tape. Hopefully everbody will be able to hear it just as well as everybody else, this way. Anyway, like I said, I'll tell the list when and where I get that done. I do appreciate the hosting offers, but I *think* I should be able to put it on the WPRK site on the Rollins server. If not, I'll take someone up on that. Couple more things... what's this about tension between the band? Someone said I said that? Nope... as for Linnell and Flansburgh being separate, I got to talk to linnell cos Flans was inside doing soundcheck... Linnell also said he really liked what Mono Puff had done so far, and he's sure Flans isn't holding his best stuff for his side project. He assured me he wouldn't let that slide. So I don't think we should worry... oh, and snail shell I personally dislike and think was a bad bad bad choice for a single, when no one knows my plan wasn't. Not that I said that to him, of course. Anyway, hope that clears things up... Destin ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980329053852.13337.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Charles Hodges" Subject: TMBG: lots of stufF Date: Sat, 28 Mar 1998 21:38:49 PST well, i had to skip a week, and now i'm paying for iT. well, here goeS: (where to begiN?) 1) i'm as straightedge as anyone gets in recife, braziL. here, that name has none of the aggressiveness and whatnot apparently associated with it in the stateS. and the other giantheads i know are pretty clean (well, no drugS. alcohol is hardly considered a drug here, and i'm a REAL weirdo for not drinkinG). and as to my opinion about tmbg's substance life, alcohol is clearly an influence in several songs, but there are a couple of songs which i interpret as being anti-drug ("the statue got me higH" and "spiralling shapE." you figure the rest ouT.) also, there's my simple male intuition (haH!) that tells my they're drug-clean (noW. my intuition says nothing about their pasT). well there's my 1 cenT. 1.5) if i were ever to try any drug, i think it'd be lsd, and i'd only take it accompanied by ride's "leave it all behinD" 2) who says palindromes have to make sensE? snese kam o teva hse mord nilaps yas o, hW! as for the "son, i am able" palindrome, i believe it's a tmbg originaL and as for palindromes making sense, i quotE: T Eliot top bard, notes putrid tang emanating, is sad. I'd assign it a name: gnat dirt upset on drab pot toilet 3) s-e-x-x-y on casey casum's (or casem, or cassim, or whateveR) top 40? is this for reaL? the coolest song i ever heard on that (remember, this was 10 years ago) was prince's "i could never take the place of your maN" (which is VERY cooL) 4) did i really see someone use the word "maturing" in talking about weeN? i think they'd be offendeD 5) as for tmbg's country (or not) influences, one of my friends (all of which are quite familiar with tmbG) says that they ARE a country banD (yes, he's exaggerating a biT). when he formed this opinion he had heard "flood" and "lincolN." i've got to show him the first albuM. i think he'll feel vindicateD. 6) a VERY NON-tmbg lyric switch that i'd like to seE: nine inch nails' "happiness in slaverY" sung to the tune of "jingle bellS" (it fits, with a little squeezinG. and yes, i really like the sonG) 7) and my whenever-i-want-to-give-it prize for incoherence goes to lil depressed boy for this paragrapH: That LDB-Guy, who wishes he was that Mike Leffel guy so he wouldn't be in Kansas posting at about 5 am central time, and so he could have some nifty little funny comment to add to the end of this. But Alas, he is not so he is forced to complain bitterly and um, stuff, and not knowing what he is gonna say next, just adding various junk to the end of his post so that it won't be a post. Hell, I'll ask ya a question, "How many of you read comicbooks here? And of those How many of you read the Maxx?" Well until Rob Liefield is the new drummer for The Johns, make mine TMBG. -- congratulationS! keep up the good worK! 8) one of the comments that the spin article provoked was something like (i'm sorry i didn't get it verbatiM): the world needs more "wiseacre" groups because this darn angst stuff is getting way out of hanD. well, i find tmbg pleny angsty in their own way, and on certain recordS. the first two, especially lincoln, are quite sad albums about frustration, how this world sucks, how love doesn't work out, and other such "wiseacre" themeS. john henry feels this way to me, toO. now if all the angsty groups out there would express it as poetically and maturely as tmbg, we'd have some pretty good musiC. (of course, by that logic, if they all just disappeared and left the poetry and maturity to tmbg, that would be fine, toO.) 9) as for the board game, i was going to say mad, but someone already took it, so i'll just have the underdog board game (there was one, you knoW). underdog was one of my favorite cartoon characters, because i felt i could really relate to hiM. 10) the tmbg song that i should've writteN: "don't let's starT" it's the song that really turned me on to them, when i bought misc t and listened to it following the lyricS. the song IS my philosophy of life (at least the way i interpret iT). the lyrics are very sad and frustrated, but the music is very upbeaT. that (as i perceive iT) dualism really expresses a lot about mE. 11) yes, what does "snail shell was their fault" meaN? are you referring to the single (which is my favorite singlE)? or the remix (which is my favorite remiX)? please explaiN. 12) about liner thankS: in "pretty hate machinE", trent reznor thanks princE (he was still prince theN). i doubt prince has ever done any personal favors for nin, so i guess we have to figure either nin is talking about a different prince, he's joking, or he's citing an influencE. i think a lot of groups opt for the latter in their liner thankS. 13) every show i go to (which isn't that many, simply because there aren't that many to go tO) i wear my self-made tmbg shirt (it's the cover of "flooD" folded out, so you get the whole picture, but the tmbg logo looks pretty smalL. i'm gonna make another shirt with the apollo 18 coveR. if i'm breaking any laws, just send the fbi after mE.) 14) and now (sorry it took so long, bongO) the answer you've all been waiting foR: how big are tmbg in braziL. well, i'd say "not at alL" is quite the euphemisM. there are about 2 people in recife i know of that didn't get acquainted to tmbg through me or someone who was influenced by mE. but i've been doing my work, and have managed to work up a sort of following, and now of several people who have ordered their cdS. as for buying their cds in stores, without ordering theM: i bought "misc t" at a store at the shopping centre (the only one, at the timE), which was COMPLETELY unexpecteD. i wasn't even that into tmbg at the time, but i sensed that that was a unique moment, and bought the cD (actually, i bought it after i put on "hey, mr. dJ" for the whole store to heaR. i still think it's a great sonG). i bought the first album at a store where the people knew me and knew i'd buy any tmbg album they had, so it doesn't really counT. BUT, a convert of mine bought "factory showroom" (imported) in the largest, poppest cd store at the mall (though now we have 3). i've never seen a tmbg video on mtv brasil, but a friend of mine claims he saw "the guitaR". i think he may have been drunK. and all that's come out in all of brazilian media about tmbg was a paragraph (about 1/16 of a page) in a magazine of major circulation (at least it was a big magazinE). it was a review of "factory showroom" speaking well of the album (which surprised me, to be honesT. not because of the album itself (of course) but that i couldn't imagine tmbg appealing to the brazilian music critics whose work i've reaD) and comparing them to (surprise, surprisE) xtC. hope that answers your questioN. and if there's anything else you'd like to know, just asK. (i know you wilL.) what number am i oN?) now for MY questioN. is there anywhere on the web where i can find a large collection of stuff that has been published about tmbG? i've looked some, and have come up basically empty-handeD. help, pleasE once again, sorry for the longwindednesS. HW (r) aka platybuS aka enjauladO aka o.t.m.b.g.a.B., who reads miscallaneous tim's sigs (do unto otherS...) ---------- cd listened tO: tmbg's very own "flooD" (yes, i actually listen to them once in a whilE) last movie seeN: good will huntinG (which isn't that "good" after alL) "nobody in the world ever gets what they wanT / and that is beautifuL" -- they might be giantS ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sat, 28 Mar 1998 23:47:35 -0600 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: more on my Linnell interview... >oh, and snail shell I personally dislike and >think was a bad bad bad choice for a single, when no one knows my plan wasn't. >Not that I said that to him, of course. Anyway, hope that clears things up... Out of curiosity, do you think S-E-X-X-Y was a good choice for a single? It doesn't seem like they try to choose the song with the most mass appeal, for better or for worse. Although to be honest, I'm not quite sure of what method they do use to determine which song should be the single. Mitch ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #4-450 ******************************