Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #5-1 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 5, Number 1 Thursday, 2 April 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ TMBG: nickoleodeon TMBG: Buffalo - Call for interview questions... TMBG: Sean Altman opening for Mono Puff @ Mercury Lounge TMBG: Random Ad I found TMBG: giant trivia Re: TMBG: Random Ad I found TMBG: Mono Puff, when??? Re: TMBG: giant trivia TMBG: Laser They Might Be Giants Re: TMBG: Mono Puff, when??? Re: TMBG: Sean Altman opening for Mono Puff @ Mercury Lounge Re: TMBG: Sean Altman opening for Mono Puff @ Mercury Lounge Re: TMBG: nickoleodeon Re: TMBG: Laser They Might Be Giants Non-TMBG: Movie nonsense and Simpsons reference Re: TMBG: giant trivia TMBG: non-tmbg: more titanic crap (i promise i'm done now)... Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: more titanic crap (i promise i'm done Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: more titanic crap (i promise i'm done now)... TMBG: Covering TMBG.... Re: TMBG: Covering TMBG.... TMBG: 3/21 pics TMBG: non-tmbg: why titanic is important, imho... Re: TMBG: Laser They Might Be Giants Re: TMBG:The Laser Show has Injured Our Drummer.. Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: why titanic is important, imho... Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: more titanic crap (i promise i'm done Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: why titanic is important, imho... TMBG: Re: non-tmbg: more titanic crap Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 03:15:01 -0500 (EST) From: Majordomo Message-Id: <199804010815.DAA26636@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT When you send a message to the list you are sending messages to hundreds of people. Make sure that your message is one that hundreds of people need to read. Do not send "me too" messages to the list. Do not send messages about non-tmbg topics to the list. Hold private conversations in private e-mail. Sending messages that the list administrator deems off topic will result in your being removed from the list. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3521EF46.70C5CCA3@bitstream.net> Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 01:39:50 -0600 From: vu Subject: TMBG: nickoleodeon hey i thought i saw the monopuff album sleeve on a comercial for Nickoleodeon's Kids Awards (for april 98)? were they nominated for 'best album' or something? vu -- http://www2.bitstream.net/~sleeper ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 05:46:38 -0500 (EST) From: Beth Connell Subject: TMBG: Buffalo - Call for interview questions... Message-ID: Interestingly, the Buffalo concert on April 24th is listed on the ticketmaster site, but last time I checked, not on pollstar or the TMBG site. However, I do have tickets for it, it is at the Tralf, and it is 21 and over. But I haven't heard a lot of hype about the show...of course, I don't listen to the Edge anymore. :) But, speaking of that show, my sister (the current director of WBNY-FM) is trying to get an interview with the Johns and wanted to know what kinda things everyone would like to ask the Johns. (She used to be on the list, but unsubbed) So if you have any /serious/ questions, EMAIL them to me at ae371@freenet.buffalo.edu (or reply if you're not on the digest) and if we can get the interview, I'll post a copy to the list or send it privately to interested individuals. PLEASE do not send it to the list, as I do get the digest form and it's a royal pain in the butt to pull stuff out of it. Questions sent to the list will likely be completely ignored. Toodle-pipski! Beth (Buffalo's Ambassador of Love) -<*>- http://www.cgicafe.com/~soulfire | "I want to raise my freak flag higher and higher..." -TMBG | "Rock Climbing, Joel. Rock Climbing." -Tom Servo, MST3K | "I love humans. Always seeing patterns in things that aren't there." -Dr. Who (8th Doctor) | Odangos, anyone? -<*>- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 11:09:21 -0500 (EST) From: "Big Sean ( Nancy McGrath )" Subject: TMBG: Sean Altman opening for Mono Puff @ Mercury Lounge Message-ID: In TMBG Digest #5-453, Jamal spake thus: > This may already be common knowledge, but Mono Puff and Brian Dewan are > going to be at the Mercury Lounge this Friday, according to > tourdates.com. > Actually, it's this Thursday, April 2. Also opening for Mono Puff is Sean Altman, former front man for Rockapella (the group that used to cavort and sing on "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?") and no a solo artist. Sean's relationship with Flansburgh goes way back; he produced the second "Carmen Sandiego" album, which included TMBG's "Why Does the Sun Shine?" More recently, Sean and friends backed Flans on "Secret Santa" at the Christmas show he (Sean) hosted at NYC's Bottom Line. So if anyone's planning to catch Mono Puff at Mercury Lounge, be sure to get there early enough to stake out a good space and check out Sean as well! Nancy McGrath ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Nancy McGrath / nancy@bigsean.com Visit Sean Altman's Seanosphere at http://www.bigsean.com! ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: Robert Plass Subject: TMBG: Random Ad I found Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 11:18:26 -0500 No connection between me and this; just thought it was cool: http://www.concertposters.com/~legends/posters/theymit1.htm Robert Plass ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9804011734.AA01872@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: giant trivia Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 12:34:17 -0500 (EST) I was a little surprised at one of the answers for the Giant Trivia on tmbg.org. It asked: "What alcohol beverage is mentioned in the last song on Flood?" So I answered 'burboun', but it said it was incorrect and that the answer is 'A glass of burboun'. It didn't say anything about quoting the line directly, it just asked what beverage it was. Oh well, I guess I'm a little too competitive on the Giants trivia ;) -Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980401175835.3883.rocketmail@send1d.yahoomail.com> Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 09:58:35 -0800 (PST) From: Amanda Nichols Subject: Re: TMBG: Random Ad I found > > No connection between me and this; just thought it was cool: > > http://www.concertposters.com/~legends/posters/theymit1.htm That's a cool poster... I was almost tempted to order it, but then I saw that it's going for $70. Isn't that what you'd pay for a Led Zepplin poster from '75 or something? Maybe that's just me.. Amanda == Behold the evil of MILK IN A BAG.... America's First Commercial College Radio Station WECB 99.9 FM/640 AM Business Line: (617) 824-8850 _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot Message-ID: <10c0c57d.3522935b@aol.com> Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 14:19:53 EST Subject: TMBG: Mono Puff, when??? >>This may already be common knowledge, but Mono Puff and Brian Dewan are >>going to be at the Mercury Lounge this Friday, according to >>tourdates.com. As always, they pick the week after I return to school. (I >>will not even get into the fact I will miss the Seton Hall show, >>approximately 500 feet from my house, on April 15.) Well, I don't think Mono Puff will be doing a show this Friday (April 3rd) at Mercury Lounge, because according to pollstar, tmbg.com, clarku.edu, etc., TMBG will be doing a show in Worcester on that date...well, unless Flans uses a robot of himself, so that he could be in two spots at once.... My 2 cents on the Titanic thing: Well, I thought I wouldn't share my thoughts on this, but it's become too big. I have not seen the movie. (People have already ruined the end for me telling me that the boat sinks!!!!) People have differing opinions on it (just as people have differing opinions on Soul Coughing, BFF, etc. on this list). I just don't see why people see it 3+ times in theatres..wait for the video! It doesn't make sense to spend $8 a pop (to me anyway) on something like this...it's not like the ending is going to be different or if they are performing it live for you. It is prerecorded! It would be like me charging you $5 everytime you wanted to listen to Factory Showroom! (I love TMBG, but I just wouldn't do that!) Ok, sorry, but that's my mindset on movies...once is enough until the video comes! (This isn't just for Titanic, but for ALL movies in my mind). jason "Leonardo DeCapprio (sp?) sleeps atop a pile of money" glastetter ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3522CADA.552B@geocities.com> Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 15:16:42 -0800 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: giant trivia Matthew James wrote: > > I was a little surprised at one of the answers for the Giant Trivia on > tmbg.org. It asked: > "What alcohol beverage is mentioned in the last song on Flood?" > So I answered 'burboun', but it said it was incorrect and that the > answer is 'A glass of burboun'. It didn't say anything about quoting > the line directly, it just asked what beverage it was. Oh well, > I guess I'm a little too competitive on the Giants trivia ;) Well, if you spelled it "burboun," that's probably why it was the wrong answer. The correct spelling is "bourbon." -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot Message-ID: <9324b303.3522944a@aol.com> Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 14:23:53 EST Subject: TMBG: Laser They Might Be Giants I heard something on the radio this morning (with a little bit of hindsight, I realize it is April Fool's Day & might just be a prank). They advertised "Laser TMBG" down in Boston (you know like Laser Metallica, Laser Zepplin or Laser Nirvana)...anyway, anybody want to confirm or deny this for definite??? (It would be cool if it was true)...is laser spelt correctly?....I don't use the word too often, & I didn't feel like looking it up.... "laser" jason glastetter ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980401143003.0069d4c8@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 14:30:03 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Mono Puff, when??? At 02:19 PM 4/1/98 EST, Happyfroot wrote: > >Well, I don't think Mono Puff will be doing a show this Friday (April 3rd) at >Mercury Lounge, because according to pollstar, tmbg.com, clarku.edu, etc., >TMBG will be doing a show in Worcester on that date...well, unless Flans uses >a robot of himself, so that he could be in two spots at once.... Well, back in th' day, around the time of Unsupervised's release, I seem to remember listies talking about a replacement guitarist who played w/ TMBG while Mono Puff was touring... Maybe this is happening again? I rather doubt it, but I'll throw this idea out anyway... :) -Adam, waiting for his 3/21 pictures to finish being developed... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980401180604.3532.rocketmail@send1b.yahoomail.com> Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 10:06:04 -0800 (PST) From: Amanda Nichols Subject: Re: TMBG: Sean Altman opening for Mono Puff @ Mercury Lounge > Also opening for Mono Puff is Sean Altman, former front man for Rockapella > (the group that used to cavort and sing on "Where in the World is Carmen > Sandiego?") and no a solo artist. Now I'm jealous that I can't go.. Sean gives out random stuff during his show (salt, Sweet n Sour Sauce) and is quite fun to catch live. I saw him at Arlene Grocerey a few weeks back with Rob Plass and his roommate.. it was a rockin' show. > Sean's relationship with Flansburgh > goes way back; he produced the second "Carmen Sandiego" album, which > included TMBG's "Why Does the Sun Shine?" Which, by the way, is very good. We have that disc at WECB and it also has a great XTC song, "Cherry in your Tree." > So if anyone's planning to catch Mono Puff at Mercury Lounge, be sure to > get there early enough to stake out a good space and check out Sean as > well! You may just win some tabasco sauce! Mmmmm.. tabasco... Amanda == Behold the evil of MILK IN A BAG.... America's First Commercial College Radio Station WECB 99.9 FM/640 AM Business Line: (617) 824-8850 _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980401180604.3532.rocketmail@send1b.yahoomail.com> Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 10:06:04 -0800 (PST) From: Amanda Nichols Subject: Re: TMBG: Sean Altman opening for Mono Puff @ Mercury Lounge > Also opening for Mono Puff is Sean Altman, former front man for Rockapella > (the group that used to cavort and sing on "Where in the World is Carmen > Sandiego?") and no a solo artist. Now I'm jealous that I can't go.. Sean gives out random stuff during his show (salt, Sweet n Sour Sauce) and is quite fun to catch live. I saw him at Arlene Grocerey a few weeks back with Rob Plass and his roommate.. it was a rockin' show. > Sean's relationship with Flansburgh > goes way back; he produced the second "Carmen Sandiego" album, which > included TMBG's "Why Does the Sun Shine?" Which, by the way, is very good. We have that disc at WECB and it also has a great XTC song, "Cherry in your Tree." > So if anyone's planning to catch Mono Puff at Mercury Lounge, be sure to > get there early enough to stake out a good space and check out Sean as > well! You may just win some tabasco sauce! Mmmmm.. tabasco... Amanda == Behold the evil of MILK IN A BAG.... America's First Commercial College Radio Station WECB 99.9 FM/640 AM Business Line: (617) 824-8850 _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: Dr Worm X Message-ID: <951e4fc5.3522b783@aol.com> Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 16:54:08 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: nickoleodeon no ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 14:25:48 -0800 (PST) From: CassiniRocks Subject: Re: TMBG: Laser They Might Be Giants Message-ID: > anyway, anybody want to confirm or deny this for definite??? > (It would be cool if it was true)...is laser spelt correctly?....I don't use > the word too often, & I didn't feel like looking it up.... > > "laser" jason glastetter can't confirm or deny, as i live in california, but i can tell you that you spelled laser correctly...it stands for Light Amplified by Stimulated Emmision of Radiation if that helps you remember. :) jillian, the science teacher with too much time on her hands. ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 16:33:23 -0600 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Non-TMBG: Movie nonsense and Simpsons reference >me anyway) on something like this...it's not like the ending is going to be >different or if they are performing it live for you. It is prerecorded! It >would be like me charging you $5 everytime you wanted to listen to Factory >Showroom! (I love TMBG, but I just wouldn't do that!) Ok, sorry, but that's my >mindset on movies...once is enough until the video comes! (This isn't just for >Titanic, but for ALL movies in my mind). Sometimes I watch a movie multiple times in the theatre (although I wouldn't for Titanic) because: 1) I think movies are more enjoyable when seen in a theatre and 2) When I really like a movie, watching it a number of times can give me different insights into it, and notice details I had missed before. I can appreciate the subtleties more. >jason "Leonardo DeCapprio (sp?) sleeps atop a pile of money" glastetter "How do you sleep at night?" - Jay Sherman, the critic, appearing as a guest on the Simpsons "On top of a giant pile of money with many beautiful women." -- Ranier Wolfcastle, star of the McBain films Mitch "You have not lost interest in muffins, you just had 1 muffin you didn't enjoy." All your questions answered, all your problems solved: ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 1 Apr 98 18:24 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: giant trivia >"What alcohol beverage is mentioned in the last song on Flood?" >So I answered 'burboun', but it said it was incorrect and that the >answer is 'A glass of burboun'. It didn't say anything about quoting >the line directly, it just asked what beverage it was. If you spell it correctly, "bourbon," then it'll work. :) Kirs -- ============================================================================== "I can't wear a pink shirt! Everyone at work wears a white shirt! I'm not popular enough to be different!" -Homer Simpson Kirsten Brodbeck - kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu - AKA Crow ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 17:14:27 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg: more titanic crap (i promise i'm done now)... Message-ID: On Wed, 1 Apr 1998, Happyfroot wrote: > (People have already ruined the end for me telling me that the boat > sinks!!!!) why does this joke seem to keep cropping up for titanic, and not for any other historically based movies? braveheart: 'the english win...' primary colors: 'he wins the election...' 1492: 'they don't fall over the edge...' patton: 'the allies won...' jfk: 'two shots, and it's all over...' (it's not as if the movie was about the *boat* anyway!) as regards the whole 'best picture' thing: regardless of your other opinions of the movie, (whether they're informed opinions or not,) you can't dispute the fact that titanic was the most *important* picture of the season, and one that is likely to have quite a lot of long-term influence... --jim kuemmerle, who can't hear 'neeeeeeeear, faaaaaaaaar, whereEEEEVeerr you aaaaaare' without thinking of Lovable, Furry Ol' Grover.. j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu SKULL MOUNTAIN: we'll meet at the end of the tour... http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/skullmountain.html ps: i apologize for not just letting the complaints about titanic slide... ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199804020044.TAA14862@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 18:39:08 -0600 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: more titanic crap (i promise i'm done >as regards the whole 'best picture' thing: regardless of your other >opinions of the movie, (whether they're informed opinions or not,) you >can't dispute the fact that titanic was the most *important* picture of >the season, and one that is likely to have quite a lot of long-term >influence... What do you mean by important picture? I didn't see it as being revolutionary or as changing the face of cinema... It seemed like many other movies in the same vein just with an astronomical budget and two young, popular celebrities. Mitch "You have not lost interest in muffins, you just had 1 muffin you didn't enjoy." All your questions answered, all your problems solved: ------------------------------ From: Shaft137 Message-ID: <5c436e92.3522e317@aol.com> Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 20:00:06 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: more titanic crap (i promise i'm done now)... hi. << What do you mean by important picture? I didn't see it as being revolutionary or as changing the face of cinema... It seemed like many other movies in the same vein just with an astronomical budget and two young, popular celebrities. >> i believe what mr. kuemmerle was trying to point out is that Titanic's massive budget will pave the way for more film like that. on average, your summer blockbusters run upwards of 100 million dollars to make. given the fact that Titanic made back the 200+ million dollars it cost to produce, studios will be more leaniant to creating more movies will the same price tag. some other things: -young, popular celebrities have always predominated movies and will continue to so for years to come. -if you don't like it, fine. but be aware that this movie is very successful, (as of two weeks ago, it became the most successful movie of all time) which means that there is something about that a lot of people like. -finally, if Titanic had been released on July 2, as it had been planned to, it would have been a miserable failure. it would have been opening against Men In Black and competeing with all the summer blockbusters. if that was the case, we wouldn't be having this conversation. adam schaaf, who is the true king of the world. * -------------------------------------------------------------------- do you like Homer? sure we all do. then visit The Homer Archive: http://homer.simplenet.com ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot Message-ID: <53f65d5d.3522eb50@aol.com> Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 20:35:10 EST Subject: TMBG: Covering TMBG.... Yeah, I know we've had discussions similar to this before, but I'm bringing it up again because I'm curious (& I don't feel like digging through archives of tmbg-list...I'd get bored looking a week in the past, let alone several months)....anyway, since I got the Twistin' cover in Real Audio (I would like to thank the person who sent it to me publicly now: thank you). Anyway, it makes me wonder what other covers famous (or semi-famous) bands/singers have done of TMBG...if anyone would like to send me a list (or maybe even Real Audio files), it would be appreciated... jason "who thinks Soul Coughing would do a great cover of Reprehensible" glastetter ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980401204124.006ac054@130.127.28.14> Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 20:41:24 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Covering TMBG.... There's a complete (I believe) list of covers on the TMBG discography page. It's up at www.tmbg.org... -Adam At 08:35 PM 4/1/98 EST, Happyfroot wrote: >Yeah, I know we've had discussions similar to this before, but I'm bringing it >up again because I'm curious (& I don't feel like digging through archives of >tmbg-list...I'd get bored looking a week in the past, let alone several >months)....anyway, since I got the Twistin' cover in Real Audio (I would like >to thank the person who sent it to me publicly now: thank you). Anyway, it >makes me wonder what other covers famous (or semi-famous) bands/singers have >done of TMBG...if anyone would like to send me a list (or maybe even Real >Audio files), it would be appreciated... > >jason "who thinks Soul Coughing would do a great cover of Reprehensible" >glastetter > > /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980401205501.006af2c4@130.127.28.14> Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 20:55:01 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: 3/21 pics Most of my 3/21 pictures (around 12) turned out absolutely awful...you can't see anything but some lights in the background. A few more have vague images, and a couple turned out pretty well (especially the 'Lie Still Little Bottle' pic, and a couple of 'Dr. Worm' images of Linnell on accordion)... I might scan some of these in later and put 'em up on the WWW, even though they're not very good. :) BTW, Jeff, the picture of you turned out well, although you have red-eye. :) TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 19:14:11 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg: why titanic is important, imho... Message-ID: On Wed, 1 Apr 1998, Shaft137 wrote: > i believe what mr. kuemmerle was trying to point out is that Titanic's > massive budget will pave the way for more film like that. on average, > your summer blockbusters run upwards of 100 million dollars to make. > given the fact that Titanic made back the 200+ million dollars it cost to > produce, studios will be more leaniant to creating more movies will the > same price tag. that's true, but what i meant was more along the lines of: > -if you don't like it, fine. but be aware that this movie is very successful, > (as of two weeks ago, it became the most successful movie of all time) > which means that there is something about that a lot of people like. this movie has affected lots of people very deeply, myself included. this is what affected me personally the most: (1) a disaster the magnitude of the titanic is large almost beyond human comprehension. the death of one or two people is easy to feel. the death of 1500 people is considerably less so. what 'titanic' did for me was to put the scope of this tragedy in focus. even if i *hadn't* given a damn about jack and rose, there were so many other people whose deaths could be felt emotionally. i'm having trouble putting this into words. maybe i'll finish this thought later. also: (2) i remember what it was like to fall in love the way jack and rose fell in love. maybe not *quite* as fast, and without the constant threat of death, and the abusive fiancee, and the big boat, and all the money at stake, etc., etc.,...but other than that... ;) seeing 'titanic' for the first time (with friends) *reminded* me of how that felt. and seeing it for the second time (with my fiancee) *really* brought it into clear focus. somebody mentioned earlier that what this movie may lack in originality, it makes up for in universality. i wholeheartedly agree, and i think that's one of its strongest points. newsweek finally caved and wrote a series of articles about the movie a few weeks ago, and one of the articles mentions that certain japanese moviegoers were particularly moved by guggenheim and his cohorts deciding to go down with the ship, in contrast to certain men on the ship trying to move heaven and earth to get a spot for their own on a lifeboat. another article cites rose's liberation as the reason for loving the movie. there are so many things happening in the story that most people (and here i cite ticket sales as evidence) are particularly struck by *something*... anyway, i'm done now. --jim kuemmerle, who apologizes for breaking that last promise. next post i make will have some tmbg content, i swear!... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu SKULL MOUNTAIN: we'll meet at the end of the tour... http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/skullmountain.html ------------------------------ From: SMILEY7559 Message-ID: Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 22:29:50 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Laser They Might Be Giants Hey! Well, I got all excited about the possibility of the TMBG laser shows here in Boston, so I thought I'd go and check out the web page for the Museum of Science. When I got to the section on Laser shows there was no mention on any TMBG show, but they did have a mailing list that informs you of new updates on new shows or whatever so I signed myself right up, and if I get any news of it, I'll let you all know. Also, if you live in boston and want to be on the list, I can send you the link to the page, or you can go to www.mos.org and under programs you will see Laser Shows, and go from there! Have a good day! Julie ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980402040855.18685.rocketmail@send1c.yahoomail.com> Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 20:08:55 -0800 (PST) From: Amanda Nichols Subject: Re: TMBG:The Laser Show has Injured Our Drummer.. > Also, if you live in boston and want to be > on the list, I can send you the link to the page, or you can go to www.mos.org > and under programs you will see Laser Shows, and go from there! Have a good > day! Julie Laser TMBG? Bring on the weird lights for "Birdhouse!" Iggy should do it... Manda's two happily Boston-based cents _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199804020409.XAA19968@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 21:44:55 -0600 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: why titanic is important, imho... >newsweek finally caved and wrote a series of articles about the movie a >few weeks ago, and one of the articles mentions that certain japanese >moviegoers were particularly moved by guggenheim and his cohorts deciding >to go down with the ship, in contrast to certain men on the ship trying to >move heaven and earth to get a spot for their own on a lifeboat. another >article cites rose's liberation as the reason for loving the movie. there >are so many things happening in the story that most people (and here i >cite ticket sales as evidence) are particularly struck by *something*... I guess my feeling on the matter is that it's not difficult to manipulate emotions, but it is difficult to make a movie that is appealing intellectually. Emotions aren't any less valuable than reason, but if you want to make a movie that is a tearjerker it's not terribly difficult. The easiest way is to do what Titanic did (and Schindler's List, and Glory, etc), which is to find a historical tragedy and make a movie that shows humans suffering through it. It can also be done with a fictional plot, but it is more difficult to relate to something that you know didn't actually happen. I don't deny that the movie was popular and that it stirred a lot of emotions (tears were brought to my eyes during it), but that isn't enough basis to say it is absolutely a good movie. There are many different standards for what makes a good movie, and although you find its universality to be a positive thing, there are those who find that a negative thing. No one is right, since it is just a matter of taste, which is why I wonder why everyone is so up in arms about it. Mitch "You have not lost interest in muffins, you just had 1 muffin you didn't enjoy." All your questions answered, all your problems solved: ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199804020409.XAA19966@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 21:38:53 -0600 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: more titanic crap (i promise i'm done >-if you don't like it, fine. but be aware that this movie is very successful, > (as of two weeks ago, it became the most successful movie of all time) > which means that there is something about that a lot of people like. I don't deny that the masses like it. But the average person also spends an insane amount of time watching day time talk shows and other quality television programs. Popularity can be equated with quality, but it isn't necessarily. Mitch "You have not lost interest in muffins, you just had 1 muffin you didn't enjoy." All your questions answered, all your problems solved: ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 22:55:39 -0600 (CST) From: "Christopher M. Stangl" Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: why titanic is important, imho... Message-ID: On Wed, 1 Apr 1998, J Kuemmerle wrote: > this movie has affected lots of people very deeply, myself included. this > is what affected me personally the most: > also: > > (2) i remember what it was like to fall in love the way jack and rose fell > in love. maybe not *quite* as fast, and without the constant threat > of death, and the abusive fiancee, and the big boat, and all the > money at stake, etc., etc.,...but other than that... ;) seeing > 'titanic' for the first time (with friends) *reminded* me of how that > felt. and seeing it for the second time (with my fiancee) *really* > brought it into clear focus. somebody mentioned earlier that what > this movie may lack in originality, it makes up for in universality. > i wholeheartedly agree, and i think that's one of its strongest points. Me, I don't fall in love like goofy cliched movies. Goofy, to be sure, but if I was involved in a romance like the one in "Titanic", I'd start a-gaggin'. Entertainment that more honestly feel like "falling in love" to me are moments in David Byrne's "True Stories", and the Agent Cooper/ Annie Blackburn bits of "Twin Peaks". -Chris Stangl ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980402013743.00695eac@pop.indy.net> Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1998 01:37:43 -0500 From: rachel Subject: TMBG: Re: non-tmbg: more titanic crap >i believe what mr. kuemmerle was trying to point out is that Titanic's >massive budget will pave the way for more film like that. on average, >your summer blockbusters run upwards of 100 million dollars to make. >given the fact that Titanic made back the 200+ million dollars it cost to >produce, studios will be more leaniant to creating more movies will the >same price tag. > hmmm, and thats a good thing why? more expensive movies are not nessesarily better- ahem, "clerks" >some other things: >-young, popular celebrities have always predominated movies and will > continue to so for years to come. unfortunately... >-if you don't like it, fine. but be aware that this movie is very successful, > (as of two weeks ago, it became the most successful movie of all time) > which means that there is something about that a lot of people like. yeah, people also like blood sausage and the spice girls continue to sell albums. that doesn't mean they're any good or that we should be "aware." it just means there are a lot of stupid people who spend their money on crap. oh yeah, and before any of you anti-titanic-debaters jump on my back about not staying on the topic of tmbg i'd just like to say that, i think that as long as i've been on this list i've learned more about other tmbg fans than i actually have about tmbg. and i wouldn't still be here if i didn't enjoy that- regardless of whether they aggree with me or not. ok, i'm done. :) lovies, rachel ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #5-1 ****************************