Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #5-10 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 5, Number 10 Sunday, 12 April 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: NO! :( (Mono Puff news) Re: TMBG: NO! :( (Mono Puff news) TMBG: Folnk & songs I've heard on the radio.... TMBG: TV shows Re: TMBG: TV shows TMBG: On The Radio TMBG: UK Radio/TV paly TMBG: radio play TMBG: Columbus Show Re: TMBG: Columbus Show Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980411104510.0069ea04@130.127.28.14> Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 10:45:10 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: NO! :( (Mono Puff news) I just got word that the Mono Puff album has been pushed back to May 19th....that's right, Fru-fans...Mono Puff & Moxy Fruvous both have releases that day... CDNow just took off the "It's Fun To Steal" pre-order from their site...I guess they don't let people order that far in advance... I wish I could read more information about this on the Bar-None site, but it seems to be suffering from the same affliction as tmbg.com... -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <352FAD9D.2FDA7F98@geocities.com> Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 10:51:25 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: NO! :( (Mono Puff news) Adam Tyner wrote: > I just got word that the Mono Puff album has been pushed back to May > 19th....that's right, Fru-fans...Mono Puff & Moxy Fruvous both have > releases that day... One word: D'OH! Of course no new releases would ever come out when I'm here at college with a music store nearby! No, that would just makes things too easy, I suppose. No one ever seems to release anything when it might be convenient. -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org or vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot Message-ID: <7e3aa21.352f9f22@aol.com> Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 12:49:36 EDT Subject: TMBG: Folnk & songs I've heard on the radio.... My thoughts, on the clasification of TMBG's music, I put them into the category I made up called Folnk, it's part punk, part funk, part folk, part rock, part anything else you can think of, so long as it's more than one. Soul Coughing & Beck also fit this category in my mind. I know there are many people who will say "every band can be classified as more than one style." Although, that's true, when I say two differenct styles, I mean two that have someone of a distinction from one another (ie, Nirvana is called both grunge & alternative, which are very similar, please note, this is the contemporary definition of alternative, not the original alternative. On the other hand, I've heard Soul Coughing called anything from Rap to Funk to Rock, etc.). just my thoughts on that. As for TMBG on the radio (on WFNX, 101.7), here's the list (i may forget one or two): Don't Let's Start, Ana Ng, Particle Man, Istanbul, Birdhouse, Jessica, Hey Mr. DJ I Thought You Said We Had a Deal, They Might Be Giants, The Statue Got Me High, SEXXY...this list is not complete, as there are more, but I have a poor memory.... And on B106 (106.3, crap Nashua NH radio), TMBG's SEXXY, once, only once, though! jason "crap" glastetter ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980411173521.23333.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Jason F." Subject: TMBG: TV shows Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 10:35:21 PDT Please excuse my ramblings if they seem incoherent... I heard a while back somewhere that Birdhouse was going to be the theme song of a TV show...anyone else hear this or know anything about it? (too bad No One Knows My Plan isn't the Cartoon Planet theme song anymore). Speaking of Cartoon Planet, does anyone know when John F. will be a guest on Space Ghost and not just a random clip? Also, anyone know details about the upcoming Pittsburgh show? --Jason-- "Hot Cha, where are you? Everybody's eyes are closed." -They Might Be Giants ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980411133849.006a0300@130.127.28.14> Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 13:38:49 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: TV shows At 10:35 AM 4/11/98 PDT, Jason F. wrote: >Please excuse my ramblings if they seem incoherent... Hey, they're not incoherent at all... :) >I heard a while back somewhere that Birdhouse was going to be the theme >song of a TV show...anyone else hear this or know anything about it? Yup, I've heard this, but I don't think anything ever came of it. I remember in the Tongue-Zine interview that Flansie was talking about how he'd love to do music for TV shows, though, and perhaps something is in the works there. Mark Mothersbaugh of Devo has been pretty darn successful making music for TV shows and movies, and I think TMBG would do a great job too... >(too bad No One Knows My Plan isn't the Cartoon Planet theme song >anymore). Speaking of Cartoon Planet, does anyone know when John F. will >be a guest on Space Ghost and not just a random clip? Also, anyone know >details about the upcoming Pittsburgh show? He might appear sometime in the future, or never at all. :) -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <352FE82D.6F67@stlnet.com> Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 16:01:25 -0600 From: Lynne Subject: TMBG: On The Radio Hello all... Actually, the only times I've heard TMBG played on the radio, was last week. I heard our local "Alternative" station here in St. Louis, 105.7 The Point, play Minimum Wage during traffic at about 4:30 in the morning on a Saturday, and I heard them playing Birdhouse at about 12:20 in the afternoon, during an "80's" show. Thanks. Chris chrisl@tmbg.org "Try to to keep myself away from myself and me..." -Adam F. Duritz, Counting Crows ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19980411224902.007e7460@mail-in.keme.net> Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 22:49:02 +0100 From: C Ellesley Subject: TMBG: UK Radio/TV paly In the Uk there have been blips and blotts of TMBG sightings on Radio and TV. Birdhouse is on my local station all the time. The four lads' Istanbul was on a travel programme and so was space suit. That's just about it. If I had it my way, I'd have loads of ppl phone in and request TMBG... although it'll never happen. -- COLIN ELLESLEY -- AKA: Uncle Squid, Stormy Pinkness, Triangle man, Thick Brit Editor/Partner: USM-RIP Distributor: Elite clothing 12th Monkey and all 'round nice fella Home Page: Http://www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/ TMBG fan page: Http://members.xoom.com/uncle_squid/Xoom/ ===================================== ===================================== "The North and the South are divided no more, so you and I can be equilly poor, and all the things I love you for, won't pay for food and gas, and flattery will get you nowhere fast" - carter usm "Nowhere Fast" ===================================== ===================================== ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 22:27:32 -0500 (EST) From: Melanie Kummer Subject: TMBG: radio play Message-id: <01IVRC12YPCM8ZE7K7@XAVIER.XU.EDU> 97X (WOXY 97.7), a radio station in Oxford, OH, has played some TMBG songs. This station can be hard to pick up in some areas in Cincinnati, but when I have been able to listen to it, I've heard "S.E.X.X.Y," "Metal Detecter," and "Purple Toupee." Back in '94 I remember hearing "Snail Shell" a few times. I would bet this station has played a lot more TMBG songs than what I have heard. I have heard only one TMBG song played on Channel Z (WAQZ 107.1), which is a Cincinnati station. About a month or two before "Factory Showroom" was released, I heard them play "S.E.X.X.Y." If I remember correctly, this was around 1:00 in the morning during the week. I haven't heard TMBG songs played on any other Cincinnati radio stations. Melanie :) ***************************************************************************** Melanie Kummer | "Stand on your own head KUMMER@xavier.xu.edu | for a change." kummer@cerebro.xu.edu | 507726@xavier.xu.edu | - They Might Be Giants ***************************************************************************** http://cerebro.xu.edu/~kummer/index.html ------------------------------ Message-Id: <35302AA1.2765E488@columbus.rr.com> Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 22:44:49 -0400 From: Brian Evans Organization: Swingers Subject: TMBG: Columbus Show Hey everyone! Who is going to the Columbus Ohio show in a couple of weeks? We should meet or something...anyway, I'll be the guy wearing the PJ Harvey T-shirt at the concert (don't ask it's just a TMBG concert tradition for me :) ) Anyhoo, if you see me, come up and introduce yourself! Catch ya at the show! Brian ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 22:51:29 -0400 From: Wayde Subject: Re: TMBG: Columbus Show Message-id: <3.0.2.32.19980411225129.007aa680@uoft02.utoledo.edu> >Hey everyone! > >Who is going to the Columbus Ohio show in a couple of weeks? >We should meet or something...anyway, I'll be the guy wearing the >PJ Harvey T-shirt at the concert (don't ask it's just a TMBG concert >tradition for me :) ) Anyhoo, if you see me, come up and introduce >yourself! I'll be there...don't know what I'll be wearing... but keep in touch... ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #5-10 *****************************