Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #5-14 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 5, Number 14 Thursday, 16 April 1998 Today's Topics: Re: NON, NON, NON-TMBG: Anyone heard of them?... TMBG: Bands I like besides... ADD ANOTHER NON, NON, NON, NON-TMBG: Anyone heard of them?... Re: TMBG: Anyone heard of them?... TMBG: Re: Philly show Re: TMBG: Bands I like besides... TMBG: Request NON-TMBG: band list NON TMBG: Re: Request Re: TMBG: Anyone heard of them?... Re: NONTMBG: Swing fan here NON TMBG: Have you heard of... Re: NON TMBG: Re: Request Re: NON TMBG: Re: Request TMBG: new haven concert &c... Re: TMBG: Anyone heard of them?... Re: TMBG: Anyone heard of them?... Re: TMBG: new haven concert &c... TMBG: The End of the Tour as a Class Song...& Worcester.... Re: TMBG: semi-THEY: Swinging at the show Re: TMBG: Bands I like besides... TMBG: Submissions TMBG: Called Bar-None... TMBG: Automobile magazine TMBG: Bands I like besides... TMBG: MP: New Album +OAT Re: NONTMBG: bands i like... TMBG: they dreams (continued) Re: TMBG: They Dancin Re: NONTMBG: Swing fan here Re: TMBG: semi-THEY: Swinging at the show Re: TMBG: The End of the Tour NON-TMBG: other bands, Laurie anderson Re: NONTMBG: Anyone heard of them?... TMBG: Vidoes TMBG: I get to shamelessly pitch, too! Re: TMBG: Vidoes Partly-TMBG:Vidoes! Re: NON-TMBG: very very non-tmbg : veruca salt TMBG: A show of talents... Re: TMBG: A show of talents... TMBG: AltaVistized TMBG SEMI TMBG: beautiful music and swinging in columbus Re: TMBG: The End of the Tour Re: TMBG: A show of talents... NON TMBG: Re: TMBG: The End of the Tour Re: TMBG: school, music and skulls NON-TMBG: Talent Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <353450CD.4822@rica.net> Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 02:16:45 -0400 From: Joey Groah Subject: Re: NON, NON, NON-TMBG: Anyone heard of them?... J Kuemmerle wrote: > > On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, Doug Ray wrote: > > > Hi! First time posting, like so many others...Name's Evan Ray. Hi, again! > > welcome to the list! i'm jim. don't bother trying to pronounce my last > name. (aside to the rest of the list: i still don't know how to pronounce > 'mike leffel'!) > I think it's pronounced 'Waf-fell' from the Latin meaning 'Lazarus Man' or'cancelled,' a derivation of 'Liefeld.' Or possibly 'Tele-tubbie.' Joey Groah, pronounced 'Up too late to ever be funny or spell and write good' ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35346320.77CE@stlnet.com> Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 01:35:07 -0600 From: Lynne Subject: TMBG: Bands I like besides... Hey all. As long as the questions on the table, I guess I'll list my choice in muzak. TMBG (obviously), Mono Puff, The Urge, Counting Crows, Cake, The Toasters, Squirrel Nut Zippers, The Pilferers, The Nixons, Weird Al Yankovic, Wynton Marsalis, Miles Davis, Tower of Power, Marcus Roberts, Kenny Garrett, The Presidents of the United States of America, and am a fan of modern classical music, and especially like the works of Stephen Melillo. Well, that's all I can think of off the top o' my head... Chris chrisl@tmbg.org "She buys a ticket 'cause it's cold where she comes from..." -Adam F. Duritz, Counting Crows ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 01:35:31 -0600 (MDT) From: jim Subject: ADD ANOTHER NON, NON, NON, NON-TMBG: Anyone heard of them?... Message-ID: > On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, Doug Ray wrote: > > > Hi! First time posting, like so many others...Name's Evan Ray. Hi, again! On Sat, 31 Feb 2001, J Kuemmerle wrote: > > heh... ;) (a wink at jim montgomery) > Yep, time to add my recent band list of the month too! Here we go kids: 1) Mary Lou Lord - A MUST!!! You must listen to her! Why? Because I once met her and than accidently (REPEAT ACCIDENTLY) compared her to Jewel. She is 2000x better than Jewel! 2) Scott Weiland - I have had "Barbararella" stuck in my head for 3 days now! Get it out! Get it out! (Not bad for a drugged up singer.) 3) Beatles - Speaking of drugged up. 4) Cornershop - Great album and there is a fun new dance remix of "Brimful of Asha" that just came out. 5) Save Ferris - And a bunch of other fun ska stuff. I have been kinda stuck in a ska mode lately. Just good upbeat (counterbeat I should say) fun! 6) Cherry Poppin Daddies & Big Bad VooDoo Daddy - Swing is back and it is just great to see high school kids dress up for concerts now. I guess everyone got sick of the grunge look. 7) Indie Rock - Star Ghost Dog, June of 44, Red 5, Guided By Voices, and many many many others. 8) Alt Rock - Semisonic, Fastball, Pearl Jam's new one (actually quite good), Julie Plug, Mono, Ben Folds 5, Radiohead, Symposium, UltraHorse, Space Monkeys, Abra Moore. All of these bands are great and pleasent to listen too. 9) New stuff that's coming out of France/Europe - Air, Daft Funk, I guess I can throw Tricky in this group (even though he is not that new) 10) And of course all my favorite of favorites, THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS, REM, SIMON & GARFUNKEL, BEATLES (did I already mention them? Oh well, I believe they've earned the recognition) BEATLES, & JOHN DENVER!!!!! there's my listening list -jim ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19980415075251.007f0e90@mail-in.keme.net> Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 07:52:51 +0100 From: C Ellesley Subject: Re: TMBG: Anyone heard of them?... At 21:11 14/04/98 -0400, you wrote: >Who D'Y'all listen to besides TMBG, & who D'Y'all read? Ok here we go, here's my band list... (I also am an 80's freak and be warned that most of these bands are British unknowns!) Adam Ant, Queen, The Pet Shop Boys, The Nilon Bombers, Madness, Carter the unstoppable sex machine, The prodigy, The Leve11ers, Bennet, Various blues acts (especially the Blues Brothers), God ate my Homework and that is all I can think of right now. Reading... James herbert, Doug Adams, Irvine Walsh, and just anything that look neat... Anyone heard of Calvino who wrote cosmocomics? =/\= COLIN ELLESLEY =/\= AKA: Uncle Squid, Thick Brit Editor/Partner: USM-RIP Distributor: Peridot 12th Monkey and all 'round nice fella Home Page: Http://www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/Colin.htm TMBG page: Http://members.xoom.com/uncle_squid/Xoom/ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I'm not affraid to declare my feelings. Take trust for instance, or friendship. These are the most important things in life, these are the things that matter, that help you on your way. If you can't trust your friends, what then? What then?" - "Shallow Grave" ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9804151247.AA10027@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Re: Philly show Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 08:47:52 -0400 (EDT) > Um...in case this matter has yet to clear up, the show in Philly on May 3rd > has not been moved. I checked with all of the ticket agencies and with the > Factory itself, and they all say it's still on the 3rd. > > Jim But if it was on May 3 then it *has* been moved. According to tmbg.com the Philly show is on Friday, May 1, it says they are playing Cornell on May 3... -Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980415082726.006ac7c4@130.127.28.14> Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 08:27:26 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Bands I like besides... I listen to TMBG (needless to say), Barenaked Ladies, Ben Folds Five, Devo, Joe and the Chickenheads, Jump Little Children, Lincoln, Mono Puff, Moxy Fruvous, the Presidents of the United States of America, The Residents, Starry Eyes, Those Darn Accordions!, Velocity Girl, XTC, "Weird Al" Yankovic, and the Young Fresh Fellows. -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: "Ed Wild" Subject: TMBG: Request Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 16:08:03 +0100 Message-Id: Can whoever puts the words "TMBG" or "NON-TMBG" at the top of list submissions please be more consistent, because otherwise I will have to use 16 separate inbox filters to sort out the various combinations of hyphens and capitals in the latter? A billion thanks Love e; =========================================================== E-mail marzipan@cheerful.com The InternEddy http://www.christs.cam.ac.uk/~ejw22 The DUBBINternet http://www.christs.cam.ac.uk/~ejw22/dubbin ------------------------------ From: "Mr. Me" Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 10:19:31 CST Subject: NON-TMBG: band list Message-ID: <15A4A4B1838@athena.valpo.edu> i don't care much for non tmbg posts, but here's one i'd support. here's my listing of fav bands: 1)swing: cherry poppin daddies, brian setzer orchestra, bbvd, royal crown revue (saw em last night on viva variety), mighty blue kings. of course there's the big band stuff of ellington, miller, and baise too, all good. 2)ska: bim skala bim, let's go bowling, skatalites, jazz jamaica, new york ska-jazz ensemble, bad manners, specials. 3)electronic: david bowie (earthling is awesome), bjork (telegram, her remix album is great, should have recieved much more attention), forest for the trees. 4)rock: matthew sweet, rem, mudhoney. 5)jazz: davis, coltrane, monk, kurt elling, yellowjackets, bela fleck, herbie hancock. 6)misc: tmbg, kablalas. lastly, you guys should all check out this guy named cornelius. he's on matador records, and he is amazing. mixes everything from pavement to sonic youth, to the beatles, to techno stuff, sometimes all in one song. his album is called phantasma, and it's super intelligent. jer [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "Instead of creating new weapons of destruction, we ought to get some use out of the ones we already have." Deep Thoughts [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: or p356jskrenes@exodus.valpo.edu Wehrenberg Hall Airwaves: Sunday nights, 12-2am 95.1, WVUR Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 09:36:54 -0600 (MDT) From: jim Subject: NON TMBG: Re: Request Message-ID: On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, Ed Wild wrote: > Can whoever puts the words "TMBG" or "NON-TMBG" at the top of list > submissions please be more consistent, because otherwise I will have to > use 16 separate inbox filters to sort out the various combinations of > hyphens and capitals in the latter? > You gave the above messege a subject of TMBG: Request. Shouldn't this request be put under the NON TMBG subject heading since you didn't mention anything about the band? Just Curious -jim ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 11:38:18 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <3.0.16.19980415104021.34ef5036@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu> From: Harry Subject: Re: TMBG: Anyone heard of them?... At 21:11 14/04/98 -0400, you wrote: >Who D'Y'all listen to besides TMBG, & who D'Y'all read? Music: The Beatles A3 Garrison Starr Just A Hobby (Ohio) Liz Phair 10,000 Maniacs (pre-1995) The Bangles No Doubt Collapsis (North Carolina) Pink Floyd Cat Stevens John Lee Hooker Beethoven B.B. King Blind Lemon Jefferson Violent Femmes Elvis Costello Literature: Anything from Sun Microsystems (Makers of JAVA) Anything from IDG ("...For Dummies series) "Lies My Teacher Taught Me" (non-fiction) Currently Reading: "The Truth Machine" By James L. Halpern (Four Stars! Great Novel!) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 10:53:11 -0500 (CDT) From: "Christopher M. Stangl" Subject: Re: NONTMBG: Swing fan here Message-ID: On Tue, 14 Apr 1998 gray42@juno.com wrote: > Oh man not only do I love da hell outa swing, but so does the rest of my > family, we rent Swing Kids alot, That's a shame. Ever notice that "Swing Kids", say, stinks? > me and my sister collect fashions and kitchen appliances from the 30's. I hope you wear those clothes, too. If there's one thing I hate to see, it's a big closet full of vintage clothes not being put to use. While I'm actually more interested in '20s (someday I will meet the flapper girl of my dreams. I'm sure of it) and '50s clothes (not lame old blue jeans though), the two decades in between produced some lovely fashion. > Me and my friends enjoy a crazy time around the pool table while > listening to swing (and They Might Be Giants too [they make a excelent > pool table dance music]), not to mention going to swing clubs, making up > our own crazy dance moves, and generally having a swingin' good time :P That's adorable. You actually have swing clubs, huh? Man. I converted my kitchen into a dance hall, and that's the closest I can get. -Chris Stangl ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19980415165241.007ace30@mail-in.keme.net> Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 16:52:41 +0100 From: The Ellesleys Subject: NON TMBG: Have you heard of... >>Who D'Y'all listen to besides TMBG, & who D'Y'all read? > >Ok here we go, here's my band list... (I also am an 80's freak and be >warned that most of these bands are British unknowns!) > >Adam Ant, Queen, The Pet Shop Boys, The Nilon Bombers, Madness, Carter the >unstoppable sex machine, The prodigy, The Leve11ers, Bennet, Various blues >acts (especially the Blues Brothers), God ate my Homework and that is all I >can think of right now. > >Reading... James herbert, Doug Adams, Irvine Walsh, and just anything that >look neat... Anyone heard of Calvino who wrote cosmocomics? > I forgot to put The Wonderstuff, The Sultans of ping, The Who, Boney-M, Terror Vision, X-ray spex, 999 and anything that makes me wanna strut my funky stuff! =/\= COLIN ELLESLEY =/\= AKA: Uncle Squid, Thick Brit Editor/Partner: USM-RIP Distributor: Peridot 12th Monkey and all 'round nice fella Home Page: Http://www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/Colin.htm TMBG page: Http://members.xoom.com/uncle_squid/Xoom/ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I'm not affraid to declare my feelings. Take trust for instance, or friendship. These are the most important things in life, these are the things that matter, that help you on your way. If you can't trust your friends, what then? What then?" - "Shallow Grave" ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ------------------------------ From: "Ed Wild" Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Re: Request Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 17:11:37 +0100 Message-Id: > You gave the above messege a subject of TMBG: Request. Shouldn't this > request be put under the NON TMBG subject heading since you didn't mention > anything about the band? No I didn't, when I sent it the header was "Request". That's my point. Someone else, somewhere, puts TMBG or whatever. Could they please do it the same every time? Love e; =========================================================== E-mail marzipan@cheerful.com The InternEddy http://www.christs.cam.ac.uk/~ejw22 The DUBBINternet http://www.christs.cam.ac.uk/~ejw22/dubbin ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980415123540.00861ca0@mail.csrlink.net> Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 12:35:40 -0400 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Re: Request At 05:11 PM 4/15/98 +0100, you wrote: >No I didn't, when I sent it the header was "Request". That's my point. >Someone else, somewhere, puts TMBG or whatever. Could they please do it >the same every time? Ahhh, you must mean the magical list gods. We love those guys. Seriously though folks, you, uh, gotta write your own Subject headers. I personally don't give a fried lemmings foot about the headers cause I read the posts regardless. Dylan "Mike Leffel, Leo, and someone named JonBob are the magical list gods" Flipse Dylan Flipse...one of them. - dflipse@csrlink.net Dylan's page is at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ for now. I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed -They Might Be Giants, the coolest thing this side of Zaphod Beeblebrox. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 12:41:51 +0100 From: beknowles@vassar.edu (Ben Knowles) Subject: TMBG: new haven concert &c... Message-id: <01IVWCYV05K2001DTE@VASSAR.EDU> all, okay, i might as well ask. is anyone going to be at the new haven show this thursday at toad's place? i imagine it's going to be nothing but yalies there. i saw Them at brown university last year, and the crowd was way boring. what are yale tmbg crowds like? anyone know? also, i was wondering what you people think is the best way to get the johns to play a song you want to hear. i've seen Them 7 times now, and they've only played "the statue got me high" once. it kicked ass, dammit, and i want to see it again, and they never play it. what's the best strategy? yelling? signs? body paint? nudity? all of the above? and while we're on the subject of other music, is anyone else into techno/dance music? someone posted something a while back about being at a rave (and meeting somebody named janelle which rhymes with linnel). i thought that was pretty cool. :) one more thing: am i stupid? what is "TMBG Got Lost"? (boy), ben *%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%* | | | "Every jumbled pile of person Ben Knowles - Vassar College | | has a thinking part that wonders beknowles@vassar.edu | | what the part that isn't thinking Physics - Astronomy | | isn't thinking of." - TMBG Philosophy - Metaphysics | | | *%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%* ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 11:40:28 -0500 (CDT) From: "Christopher M. Stangl" Subject: Re: TMBG: Anyone heard of them?... Message-ID: On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, Doug Ray wrote: > Hi! First time posting, like so many others... Most people actually only make one first time posting. > Name's Evan Ray. Hi, again! Hi yourself. > Have any of you heard of Laurie Anderson? She's okay. > Rickie Lee Jones? Orson Scott Card? Yes, but I don't like them. > Who D'Y'all listen to besides TMBG, Talking Heads, Soul Coughing, David Byrne, The Pixies, Frank Black, Beck, REM, Liz Phair, John Linnell, Mono Puff, Ween, Squirrel Nut Zippers, The Residents, Ray Charles, Korla Pandit, Devo, The Shaggs, Ruby, Billie Holiday, Nirvana, Jamal River, Man...or ASTROman?, Suzanne Vega, Harry Belafonte, Esquivel, most of the doo wop of the '50s and '60s, about half of Oingo Boingo, Paul Simon's "Graceland" (but just that one, pretty much), and Elvis Presley. I enjoy, but don't often listen to: Buddy Holly, Angelo Badalamenti, Violent Femmes, American folk music (and I don't mean Joan Baez- I'm talking about "Old Folks At Home" and worksongs and stuff), some lounge, and a smattering of blues (not lameass guitarwank club blues, but the old-man-with-guitar-on-porch blues) and New Wave stuff. Semi-guilty pleasures are Marilyn Manson, Morrissey and the Smiths. > & who D'Y'all read? How about "who do I read and *like*? Ray Bradbury, William Shakespeare, Nicholson Baker, Jan Brunvand, "The Book of the SubGenius"/ "Revelation X", Mark Twain, Roald Dahl, Daniel Manus Pinkwater, Windsor McKay, Matt Groening, Lynda Barry, George Herriman, Flannery O'Connor, T. Coraghessan Boyle, E.E. Cummings, Sylvia Plath, William Poundstone, Cecil Adams, Harry Stephen Keeler, the first run of "Tank Girl", Danny Peary, published screenplays by the dozen, Charles Fort, Joseph Campbell, "Video Watchdog", "Film Comment", "Cult Movies Magazine", "Fortean Times", "Bizarre", Laura Ingalls Wilder, Beverly Cleary, and various volumes of folklore, stories from ghosts to Paul Bunyan. Anything about spontaneous combustion. My guilty pleasures are Chick comics, Stephen King, and paperback novelizations of summer blockbusters. > "Nobody knows what it's really like/ But everyone says it's great" > -Spiraling Shape Nobody knows? Well I do. And I tell you, I did not enjoy it, I did not once believe it, the bastards would not give me a refund, and I'll be damned if I ever go back. -Chris Stangl ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 11:47:19 -0500 (CDT) From: "Christopher M. Stangl" Subject: Re: TMBG: Anyone heard of them?... Message-ID: On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Harry wrote: > At 21:11 14/04/98 -0400, you wrote: > > >Who D'Y'all listen to besides TMBG, & who D'Y'all read? > > Music: > The Beatles > A3 > Garrison Starr ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Someone has actually heard of Garrison Starr? She's pretty good. A little dull, and pre-ten-tious as all get out. But something about her just lulls me into a trance state, without really boring me. I like that. > Liz Phair "whitechocolatespaceegg"... this year? Never? Last I heard, it was supposed to "sound like Beck and Soul Coughing". That's a damn hard standard to live up to... -Chris Stangl ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3534EA93.4A46AAE6@mail.utexas.edu> Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 12:12:51 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Organization: University of Texas at Austin Subject: Re: TMBG: new haven concert &c... > also, i was wondering what you people think is the best way to get the > johns to play a song you want to hear. i've seen Them 7 times now, and > they've only played "the statue got me high" once. it kicked ass, dammit, > and i want to see it again, and they never play it. what's the best > strategy? yelling? signs? body paint? nudity? all of the above? Well, since they play from a setlist (and have made this remark numerous times), it is very unlikely that any audience request is going to get played. If enough audiences request a song, it may be added to the set list, but not in the middle of a concert. Not usually, anyway. Harf, Mitch http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~mitcharf/ ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot Message-ID: Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 13:19:37 EDT Subject: TMBG: The End of the Tour as a Class Song...& Worcester.... I think the End of the Tour is great! & it makes a great class song, I wish I could get the people in my school to chose something that cool (hell, I would even settle for Green Day). But there aren't many kids in my grade that listen to music made past 1970, except for maybe Phish...but my point is that whoever posted that should feel lucky! Besides, I go to PUBLIC school.... As for Worcester, I don't know too much about it, but They go there occassionally & last time They were there I saw Them! Actually, Worcester (pronounced: Wusta, for all you non-Boston-area residents) is supposed to be the 2nd biggest New England city, but whenever I go there it always seems like it's not that big, it seems like a small city, when, in fact, it is much larger....that's all I know about Worcester... jason "who's jealous of people who go to cooler schools than he" glastetter ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 13:55:10 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <3.0.16.19980415125714.33afd934@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu> From: Harry Subject: Re: TMBG: semi-THEY: Swinging at the show At 11:30 PM 4/14/98 -0400, you wrote: >With all these great swingin cats around why don't we see if >some of us could start a little somehting new...that's right... >I'm talking about swingin to some TMBG B-A-B-Y.... >what'cha think??? >I'll be at the columbus show...ready, willing, and very able! :) > -Wayde I'll be at the Columbus show, too, but I dance swing the same way I sing opera: not. But, I hope to see you there! I'll be dressed incognito. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3534F7B9.677422C2@megahits.com> Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 14:08:57 -0400 From: Lee Steel Organization: BetaLab Subject: Re: TMBG: Bands I like besides... See you all at the show tomorrow night at Toads! -Mr.Lee ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19980415195643.007bbdc0@mail-in.keme.net> Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 19:56:43 +0100 From: The Ellesleys Subject: TMBG: Submissions Hello, Can anyone who has submitted anything for my TMBG fan's page please send me a picture and some general info on yourself as I am going to put up a thing about everyone who has kindly contributed. You know it makes sense! Anyone who has not yet sent me anything, you should do... even if you think it's rubbish! THE ELLESLEYS (of Colchester-Essex-UK) Home Page: Http://www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/ TMBG page: Http://members.xoom.com/uncle_squid/Xoom/ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I'm not affraid to declare my feelings. Take trust for instance, or friendship. These are the most important things in life, these are the things that matter, that help you on your way. If you can't trust your friends, what then? What then?" - "Shallow Grave" ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980415150635.00697238@130.127.28.14> Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 15:06:35 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Called Bar-None... I just got off the phone with Bar-None Records ((201) 795-9424) - the Mono Puff album is definitely coming out May 26th. -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19980415123713.0072a1f4@mailbox.ucdavis.edu> Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 12:37:18 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: Automobile magazine >Also, reading the most recent Automobile Magazine's "Editor's Picks" >list, under the category of Best Road Song, one of the editors chose >"TMBG Got Lost". I have a new respect for that magazine. Well, it might also be that one of the contributing writers to Automobile magazine is Jamie Kitman, TMBG's manager. :) Check out the article on Them in last June's issue. >Why can't all cd players back up to >the hidden track? Some CD players refuse to acknowledge negative Redbook addresses as valid. That's my best shot, anyway. What you've got there is an unusually narrow-minded CD player. >the video >comp is out of print, so any chances of seeing those are null. CDNow said they had it when I visited them a few days back. Mebbe there's still a few copies wandering around. >anonymous 4 Jim, you just earned 50 bonus points in my Book of Coolness. :) I thought I was the only early music freak around. --nicole the wonder nerd welcomes the new people and regrets that she has very little to add to the conversation. P.S. to the people who wanted videos--Get Russ Josephson's Video Bootlegs. Russ, you still around? Speak! :) *** "There's three new roses growing in the lane. It's been a long, hard winter, but now there's rain. If you want my tears, tell me your name."--Dan Bern Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn Public PGP key at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn/key.html ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Hj bttrben Message-ID: <7041448e.35351650@aol.com> Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 16:19:27 EDT Subject: TMBG: Bands I like besides... I also listen to Barenaked Ladies, Reel Big Fish, Lets Go Bowling, Guster, NOFX, Pennywise, Less Than Jake, Snuff, Wizo, Hi-Standard, Wayne Kramer, The Toasters, Rancid, The Bloodhound Gang, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, and many more except I am too lazy to look at my c.d.'s. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <00a201bd68ae$57fdf020$4fc4f6ce@idiotnot.visi.net> From: "S. Bergeron" Subject: TMBG: MP: New Album +OAT Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 16:37:18 -0400 So I see that Flansburgh has returned home to Bar/None. Anyone have a song list of what's going to be on the new album? It appears that Mono Puff is falling into the every-two-years-comes-a-new-album pattern. I think Unsupervised was released on June 12, 1996. Where has TMBG landed contract-wise? I've been out of the loop lately. Other Bands/Artists/Weirdos I like (in no particular order): Squirrel Nut Zippers Warren Zevon Frank Black/Pixies Crash Test Dummies Bloodhound Gang Weird Al Slant Six and the Jumpstarts Nirvana (so shoot me) XTC Adam Sandler Mighty Mighty Bosstones Ray Stevens The Clash Talking Heads Tom Lehrer Spike Jones (no, he's not the one who produced the Beastie Boys video, and yes, it's spelled right) Eric Idle Sean "Jack" Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net bluedawg@tmbg.org http://www.monopuff.org/~bluedawg "Rene Descartes was a drunken fart, 'I drink, therefore I am.'"--Eric Idle ICQ#5909618 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980415150747.00697d9c@pop.indy.net> Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 15:07:47 -0400 From: rachel Subject: Re: NONTMBG: bands i like... >>> Who D'Y'all listen to besides TMBG, & who D'Y'all read? > besides the aforementioned elvis costello and man or astro man? (who do the space ghost theme, yay!) me likes land of the loops, wesley willis and ani difranco- although her new album isn't that great. oh yeah, and when i'm occasionally mad at the world i listen to tool. as for what i read, i enjoy anything by or pertaining to karl marx. however, at the moment i'm right in the middle of "the birth of tragedy" by friedrich nietzsche, which kicks major ass. also, any fiction by yukio mishima or kurt vonnegut is definetly worth anyone's time. lovies, rachel ------------------------------ From: Dr Worm X Message-ID: <85e6c849.35351dab@aol.com> Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 16:50:47 EDT Subject: TMBG: they dreams (continued) sorry to bring up an old issue but I had this really weird they dream last night. Okay first I was watching the WB with that young kid from Smart Guy (that really bad show), and somehow we got into a discussion about how he was doing a new show that was called smart guy, and it had the same plot and everything, the only difference was that his older brother, and his older brothers friend. I started yelling at him about how those two dudes supported the show totally (I have no idea why), and then suddenly the show came on. For some reason, the credits started before the show, and all they said was "by: Flansburgh". It turned out to be an animated show, with animation just like in that dire straits video, "money for nothing". All it was was an animated version of John Flansburgh playing his guitar with no music playing. Then, John walked up next to me, and I announced, "your cartoon looks exactly like you". Then the roof of my house dissapeared, and john and I floated out of it, directly into space, while a song very similar to space suit started to play in my brain. Then, without warning, since neither of us were wearing space suits, our heads exploded spraying blue goo everywhere (I don't know why I could actually see my own head explode, but I guess it just increases the weirdness of the dream. And that's all she wrote... I apalogize for boring you all... Matt Turn around, turn around, it's a human skull on the ground Simpsons quote of the post: All I'm going to use this bed for is sleeping, eating, and possibly building a little fort- HJS http://members.aol.com/DrWormX (check out my sideshow) ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 16:34:52 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: They Dancin Message-ID: <19980415.164514.10078.2.gray42@juno.com> On Tue, 14 Apr 1998 22:25:50 -0600 tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) writes: >where the author claimed that the TMBG audience was full of geeks and >dorks with no rhythm and thus they only bounced on their feet AGAINST >the rhythm... Egads! That bouncing up and down at the concert is what I really really enjoy. And the only place you can do that is at a TMBG concert. It's like a tradition or something, not to mention being a really cool dance. Especially since the area I'm usually in is packed with people to a point where the only place I could move is up or down. Which reminds me, at the last concert I attended, some people tried moshing, and groups of people wnt down like dominoes, or maybe they just lost their balance. Actually I did a couple of crazy steps, to mix in w/ the hopping, and don't dare forget the conga line, not to mention the fake punching durring Shoehorn with Teeth "people should get beat up for statin' their beliefs" :P. Also the classic day after the concert when your legs are so sore you can't walk. Ah yes memories. At a younger age, when I was first introduced to Flood, I made up my own little dance routines for each of those songs. Awww how cute. Especially for Birdhouse, we want a rock, and particle man. (I was 12 at the time) Mysterio Gal " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 gray42@juno.com _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 15:56:59 -0400 Subject: Re: NONTMBG: Swing fan here Message-ID: <19980415.164514.10078.0.gray42@juno.com> On Wed, 15 Apr 1998 10:53:11 -0500 (CDT) "Christopher M. Stangl" writes: > That's a shame. Ever notice that "Swing Kids", say, stinks? > Well, for one, the movie has an awesome soundtrack, and two it's what turned me on to swing. > > I hope you wear those clothes, too. If there's one thing I >hate >to see, it's a big closet full of vintage clothes not being put to >use. >While I'm actually more interested in '20s (someday I will meet the >flapper girl of my dreams. I'm sure of it) and '50s clothes (not lame >old blue jeans though), the two decades in between produced some >lovely >fashion. > As a matter of fact, my friend Jared, from every picture I've seen of him since the day he was born, has looked as tho' he's been living in the 50's, and he was born in 78'. Nowadays he either resembles Buddy Holly or James Dean. It's like he's livin' in a completely different decade. As for me, I wear smoking jackets, short brim hats, and velvet vests, it's my sister who wears the flapper dresses. I also am very fond of the 80's neon fashion, which explains my 80's art chick hair : ^ ) > > That's adorable. You actually have swing clubs, huh? Man. I >converted my kitchen into a dance hall, and that's the closest I can >get. The pool table comes from a little place once known as the Third Place. A youth run youth center where I had volunteered many of my hours. Regrettably some assholes started hangin' out there, left there empty beer bottles all over the road for the landlord to clean up. So now the Third Place is dead. It's also the doing of the Third place which has caused me to give up t.V. and radio. (Hmmmm, maybe that's why I never see any TMBG vidios and never hear them played at the station) Mysterio Gal " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 gray42@juno.com _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 15 Apr 98 17:01 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: semi-THEY: Swinging at the show > >With all these great swingin cats around why don't we see if >some of us could start a little somehting new...that's right... >I'm talking about swingin to some TMBG B-A-B-Y.... >what'cha think??? My friend Kristen and her boyfriend were swing dancing at the Alma show... It was pretty neat. :) Kirsten -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "You think you're so funny, but looks aren't everything." - Lincoln "Wish You Were Dead" Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3535236F.5FA7@geocities.com> Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 14:15:27 -0700 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: The End of the Tour > I'd like to declare myself "Official TMBG Representative to the Class of > '98". Why, you ask? Because I got The End of the Tour nominated to be > the graduation theme to be played at our high school senior banquet. It > is running against Green Day's Time of Your Life. Now all I need to do > is get it some votes. It will be tough because for some reason a lot of > people in my class really like Green Day. : ) > > I played it for the student council president and he loved it. One minor > setback: the administration might not go for the LSD reference (you > know, Catholic school and all). Maybe they won't hear it. Tell him that "End of the Tour" gets the vote from the TMBG Ambassador to Washington State. And tell him that it's WLSD, like a radio station. ;) -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "Is everything normal now?" "And crawling on the "Well, he hasn't got planet's face... some religious mania, and he's called the Human Race. not running around in a Lost in time, and lost circle spouting Gilbert in space... and Sullivan, so I guess ...and meaning." he's normal." ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 15:08:32 -0600 Subject: NON-TMBG: other bands, Laurie anderson Message-ID: <19980415.152636.3454.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) > Have any of you heard of Laurie Anderson? > She's okay. laurie anderson! wow, i knew i recognized the name... O Superman!!! (excellent song!!!) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ::::The Official Gum Bubble:::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 15 Apr 98 17:32 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: NONTMBG: Anyone heard of them?... Music: Sex Pistols, Simon & Garfunkel, Save Ferris, Smashing Pumpkins, Sting, and lots of other bands that don't start with the letter "S", like the Talking Heads (lovelovelove), Elvis Costello, Moist, Hum, the Toasters, Pietasters, David Bowie, Led Zep, Ben Folds Five, Our Lady Peace, the Mommyheads (lovelovelove), Laura Love, Frente, and about a million others that I'll think of as soon as I stop writing. :) Books: The requisite Salinger, Tom Robbins, Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchett (TMBG fan!), Charles de Lint, Emma Bull, Terri Windling, and about a million others - I'm addicted to reading. Kirsten -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "You think you're so funny, but looks aren't everything." - Lincoln "Wish You Were Dead" Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow ------------------------------ From: Mike TMBG Message-ID: Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 18:27:35 EDT Subject: TMBG: Vidoes Hey Josh-- If you'd be willing to copy the video comp. I'd be willing to buy it. Also, I feel stupid for needing to ask this, but how do I get to the hidden track on Factory Showroom. I absolutely NEED to hear Token Back to Brooklyn. Mike "The only ambassador of wonderful music to my entire student body" Fink MikeTMBG@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: "William Ryan Stuart Hamilton" Subject: TMBG: I get to shamelessly pitch, too! Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 17:47:27 -0500 Message-ID: <01bd68c0$77070440$a3fd5fcc@mom> >Hi! First time posting, like so many others...Name's Evan Ray. Hi, again! > >Have any of you heard of Laurie Anderson? Rickie Lee Jones? Orson Scott >Card? > >Who D'Y'all listen to besides TMBG, & who D'Y'all read? Besides TMBG: Ben Folds Five, Dave Matthews Band, Blues Traveler, Phish, Violent Femmes, REM, Veruca Salt, Cake, Beck. Um. Yeah. Probably some others. Authors: Douglas Adams, Kurt Vonnegut, Joseph Heller, J. D. Salinger, Robert Jordan, David Eddings, George Orwell. Um. Yeah. Probably some others. Ryan47 Man o man o man o man. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980415192043.009d04c0@mail.csrlink.net> Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 19:20:43 -0400 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: Re: TMBG: Vidoes At 06:27 PM 4/15/98 EDT, you wrote: >Hey Josh-- > If you'd be willing to copy the video comp. I'd be willing to buy it. Been said, saying it again. You want the Video Bootlegs. Really. All three. On high-quality video tapes. Russ is the man. http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158/ >Also, I feel stupid for needing to ask this, but how do I get to the hidden >track on Factory Showroom. I absolutely NEED to hear Token Back to Brooklyn. Stupid? No. Careless for not_reading_the_FAQ? Yaaah. Read the FAQ people, please. http://www.tmbg.org/band-info/faq/ I quote- 45. Is there really a hidden track on the Factory Showroom CD? How can I find it? Yes. On your CD player, start the CD, then hold down the "rewind" (`) button. At 1:03, let go; the secret track (track 0, entitled "Token Back To Brooklyn") will play. On some CD players, you may need to press "pause" before rewinding, and many CD players do not recognize this track at all. Sorry, tape owners, this track is only on the CD. Read the FAQ. It's fun. Also, check the Early Years Q&A. Mike Leffel reads the FAQ, honest. One more thing here, I just can't help but notice that Chris "Feeny" Campbell has yet to follow up with any more posts regarding his friendship with John Flansburgh. For as long as it went on, I'd like some closure on the issue. Chris, have you or have you not dropped the correspondence with this person? Dylan "I've spent the whole day working on a paper and have 3 words written. Mayhap I should focus better." Flipse Dylan Flipse...one of them. - dflipse@csrlink.net Dylan's page is at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ for now. I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed -They Might Be Giants, the coolest thing this side of Zaphod Beeblebrox. ------------------------------ From: "Doug Ray" Subject: Partly-TMBG:Vidoes! Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 19:52:07 -0400 Message-ID: <01bd68c9$7fc56500$644306d1@default> OOH!!! OOH!!! I would like a copy of those videos, please! Also, a few things: Doug Ray is my dad, whose computer I'll be using most of the time...I really am Evan. If my posts don't make sense relative to other recent posts, it's because I get the digests...I didn't know there was a hidden song on _Factory Showroom_... How do I hear it? ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 18:31:25 -0600 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: very very non-tmbg : veruca salt Message-ID: <19980415.183655.3822.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) >Veruca Salt it sucks that they broke up. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ::::The Official Gum Bubble:::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980416011250.0069bb30@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 20:12:50 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: TMBG: A show of talents... The school talent show is coming up and my group doesn't want to perform anything original, so we decided we'll play some TMBG. I want to know what you guys think we (Henry Likes Ninjas) should perform? I originaly thought of doing Particle Man, but this seemed to offend Jordan(NNY) so I dropped that idea. I was also thinking our Multilingual #3 (Greek and English at the same time) would be cool. Then I finally heard Dr. Worm and Mrs. Train, and I wanted to do them. So I need your help, tell me what to perform! LDB, who insidently saw Bob Dole today. -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ From: WeirdGiant Message-ID: <408e07de.35356d8f@aol.com> Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 22:31:42 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: A show of talents... In a message dated 98-04-15 21:16:44 EDT, LDB@ufp.org writes: << The school talent show is coming up and my group doesn't want to perform anything original, so we decided we'll play some TMBG. I want to know what you guys think we (Henry Likes Ninjas) should perform? >> at a church talent show coming up in a week or two some friends and I are planning to play Subliminal, Turn Around, or Istanbul (of course, if you don't have an accordian this might not work so well) ~Ryan "Tintin" Leach ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35359FB7.8E62E582@geocities.com> Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 23:05:46 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: TMBG: AltaVistized TMBG I wasted some time today using AltaVista's translator (babelfish.altavista.digital.com) to translate TMBG lyrics into foreign languages and back again, and I thought I'd share my results with the list. Some of them are fairly amusing. The intermediate language is mentioned before each set of lyrics. French: All is quite erroneous still just as in the long low length of page that all the dishes obtain broken and conveys it continued to control and nobody would cease backing up it Portuguese: It is a rope that long, long if uses to hang me soon, I wait and I want to know because this did not happen, because, because, because and I think on the dirt of that I will be consuming for a shirt and me he waits that I start old before I die Spanish: blue canary in plug by lightswitch that to watch concluido you to do one little birdhouse in its core does not stop to put too fine one end in him opinion I to be only bee in his I castrate to do one little birdhouse in his core German: Since I received hit by an auto, there was a message for me, while I passed through the windshield, which I considered something, which is under conscious into unnoticeable important way, and hard to see Italian: The love sees the happiness of the love but the happiness cannot see that the love is sad, that love is sad that the sadness is hanging here in order to show to love in some place something needs a change, has need of a change French: It wants a shoe-horn, the kind with teeth which people should obtain the beat upwards to state their belief it wants a shoe-horn, the kind with teeth since it knows that there is no such thing Portuguese: It had eighty-seven Advil in the bottle; now they are thirty left there me had eaten forty-seven, thus that that ten happened to the others? Why dumb you suspiciously the subject and break my concentration while I pour the bottle for I am and I count to the Advil another time above? He does not interrupt me as I strengthen myself to finish this thought I more have some respect for somebody forgetful of that you yourselves and I am not fact, and I will not be ' until my head falls outside of Spanish: I to be to work all night in my office when one man I to have recent to kill to call me for above one telephone surrounds my building so I to watch outside Window in him he to have same obsequioso way that to be reason I of having he to kill so calm my nerve I to sing this song he concluido telephone Italian: The NG and of Ana is obtaining old and still we have not walked in the incandescence of majestic presence of everyone. It listens, Ana, it feels my words. They are those you have thought that it has said if there were me for you. German: A daily nut/mother and I die receive the cash Mom me lean down and legend, " my feelings exactly, you son of a female ", I palindrome I and I are a queue heading, eat the heading on opposite palindrome the page I I French: What will arrive at the face of part of failures? There disappear I but for my face very that I know could be disfigured by the facts in the life of the face of part of failures German: O forsake me, do not mean indolent friend, the O me not forsake, although you know that I must spend all my darkest hours like that for me am speaking thousand years old Italian: A woman has come until me and said, " I would want to poison your mind with the wrong ideas that make appeal you, benche pits the unkind. " has not watched It; I have watched something written through its leather capelluto and these are the words that weakly while has said I have tried to demand aid: " what is only one that I know as and they are said to me well often that you could only make that what you know as to do good and that one is is you, is that what you are like, it is like she " and therefore I am divertendosi, but rather I was hissing in the dusk. Portuguese: How cannot I sing I eat a girl, and to be stigmatized for rest.of.the.world? Say me, as it I cannot me sing as a girl, and to be objectified as if I age a girl? Spanish: We could sleep in the flowers that we could sleep everything afternoon you you proclaim that you are an island I proclaim that I am one, too much then we I float in the port with the right wharves and the boats around I declare that I am England you you declare that I have suffocated -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org or vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3535A570.28B@fuse.net> Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 23:30:09 -0700 From: Jay Organization: The Confounded Bridge Subject: SEMI TMBG: beautiful music and swinging in columbus ahh! i'm being barraged by mail, mail everywhere! heeelp meeee! ahem--i'll make an effort to respond all-in-one, as if anyone cares. music that greets my ears regularly is both eclectic and limited: frank zappa, tmbg (omigod! surprise, surprise), yes, van halen, steve vai, steve howe, dave matthews, led zep, rush, metallica, and .. well. anything that's not christian; decent guitar work is a plus. (i'm hounded by the thought of amy grant! aaaaaaahhhhhh pure evil, pure evil!) (no offence intendeded to any christians out there; i just don't like groups sticking solely to one topic, ie sex, god, whatever. it's why i'm starting to hate dave matthews) continuing on: i'll be at the columbus show, but will i be swinging? i'm not sure; it depends on my mood. i like jazz but i'm not a huge fan, due to the fact i haven't had much access to that style of music; i will say that i don't like contemporary stuff like the cherrie poppin daddies--they try too much to hook on to the ska crowd. in my opinion. opinions are, however, like noses! picking those of other people is rude. in any event, one kindly man did point out that the quotation on my signature file was wrong, that the "die/fly" line was indeed uttered by puff daddy and not mase. well, it doesn't matter much; they still deserve to die, but i've suspended my sig 'till i can find something more accurate. happy days, fellow tmbgers! if you'd like to meet at the columbus show, contact me; i need some company. love and good happiness stuff, jay ------------------------------ From: MatFoley99 Message-ID: <974a4758.35357a64@aol.com> Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 23:26:26 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: The End of the Tour In a message dated 98-04-15 00:25:51 EDT, hotcha57@hotmail.com writes: << I'd like to declare myself "Official TMBG Representative to the Class of '98". Why, you ask? Because I got The End of the Tour nominated to be the graduation theme to be played at our high school senior banquet. >> Well, it's good to know that I'm not the only one out there. Lucky for you, your school isn't packed with 2000+ fans of "booty" music. That's all we have here at Buchholz High in Gainesville, Florida. I myself, being the offical newsman, get to play music both before and after the broadcast over all the TVs in the school, and obviously, it's always tmbg. It's kinda fun...As I mentioned before, if it's not The So So Def Bass All-Stars, it doesn't fly at my school, so whenever I play the news tape and the music comes on, it's like hearing one big, "What the hell is this?" from everyone at my school. Actually, I was two seconds away from getting "Istanbul" to play during the Homecoming dance, I had some connections with the DJ, and the fun was really about to begin, except that the director of student activities took over. Oh well. Another story...we play music in the mall during lunch on special days, and me being in student council (and proudly the biggest slacker there) got to be DJ. So, I sat through a good 20-25 minutes of Puff Daddy and the family, and then I got my revenge. I put on "Particle man" and let it crank. You would not believe the reaction, it was so great...everyone started yelling at me. Cursing, throwing food, you name it, but I was doing this one for the little people (like I was) who had to be punished with (c)rap music 24-7 at my school. I loved it, and just sat back and enjoyed the moment. Sitting there, listening to my favorite band, while half of the student body yelled their lungs out at me. Needless to say, I'm the second most popular guy at school now. Welp, those are my experiences with mixing school and tmbg. Actually, I too have requested "The end of the tour," but like your school, I think we as well are going with Green Day for our banquet...even my pull as Sr. Class VP (winning with my mottos "he'd vote for you if you were running," and, "why not?") couldn't help our decision, oh well. Alrighty, well, you all take care now, you hear? Chris "Everything they make at McDonald's is really just one thing" Brannan ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3535A666.10C3@fuse.net> Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 23:34:20 -0700 From: Jay Organization: The Confounded Bridge Subject: Re: TMBG: A show of talents... The Li'l Depressed Boy wrote: > > The school talent show is coming up and my group doesn't want to perform > anything original, so we decided we'll play some TMBG. I want to know what > you guys think we (Henry Likes Ninjas) should perform? > I do a really nifty fingerstyle version of Self Called Nowhere, one of my favorite songs; I'd take time to transcribe it, but then again there aren't many tmbg cover bands with classical players. que sera, sera jay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3535A793.C11@fuse.net> Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 23:39:15 -0700 From: Jay Organization: The Confounded Bridge Subject: NON TMBG: Re: TMBG: The End of the Tour MatFoley99 wrote: > > In a message dated 98-04-15 00:25:51 EDT, hotcha57@hotmail.com writes: > > << I'd like to declare myself "Official TMBG Representative to the Class of > '98". Why, you ask? Because I got The End of the Tour nominated to be > the graduation theme to be played at our high school senior banquet. >> > > I put on "Particle man" and let it crank. You > would not believe the reaction, it was so great...everyone started yelling at > me. Cursing, throwing food, you name it, but I was doing this one for the > little people (like I was) who had to be punished with (c)rap music 24-7 at my > school. I loved it, and just sat back and enjoyed the moment. Sitting there, > listening to my favorite band, while half of the student body yelled their > lungs out at me. Needless to say, I'm the second most popular guy at school > now. yes, man!! you're my new hero. = D sorry for the pointlessness of that. jay ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980415233323.0069a988@pop.indy.net> Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 23:33:23 -0400 From: rachel Subject: Re: TMBG: school, music and skulls At 11:26 PM 4/15/98 EDT, you wrote: >Welp, those are my experiences with mixing school and tmbg. > ha!ha! that reminds me of when i was in highschool and we would listen to music in art class. so of course i subjected everyone to tmbg, and actually ended up converting a few people. but, anyway, there would always be this one asshole wu tang fan who would say "what is this!? first-grader music!?" after which, of course, i crushed his skull. ooh! speaking of skulls, that reminds me, there was recent a thread about bumper stickers and someone mentioned their skull sticker and how a cop questioned him about it. it got me thinking about the different associations different people make with skulls. like, my friends and i (and most tmbg fans) associate them with happy, humorous, frolicing little children in the woods playing with broken wagons. but then there are people like my mom who wouldn't let me put my sticker on her car because she said it was satanic, or some other christian garbage. (oops! no offense, my mom is a tad wakko). lovies, rachel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980415221952.006b7070@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 22:19:52 +0000 From: Josh Morgan Subject: NON-TMBG: Talent > The school talent show is coming up and my group doesn't want to perform > anything original, so we decided we'll play some TMBG. I want to know what > you guys think we (Henry Likes Ninjas) should perform? I say don't play any covers, TMBG or other... go with originals (if you have any). i'm speaking from experience here. my band played at our talent show and we played all originals while the other bands played mostly/all covers. afterwards, shite-loads of people told us that we were by far the best (which was true cuz we kicked ass!!), but they cited the fact that it took guts for us to play original stuff while the other bands copped out by playing already established songs (like nirvana (BLECH!) or Metallica (Yeah!)). anyway, my point is that it is more respectable (and more fun) to play songs that come from YOUR heart and soul, rather than someone else's. i will amend my suggestion though, if you get to play 3 or more songs in your set. if that's the case, then go ahead and devote ONE of them to paying tribute to the greatest band to ever be blessed with the gift of music: TMBG. in all honesty, my band was planning on playing AKA Driver in the middle of our set for the talent show, but we scrapped it for an original at the protest of our lead guitarist (who has since seen the error of his ways and has converted to the cult of TMBGdom). well, i appears that i've been rambling (i'm a bit tipsy thanks to the wonderful world of college life) so i'll stop. whatever you decide, i'm sure your band will rock the house. josh ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #5-14 *****************************