Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #5-15 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 5, Number 15 Friday, 17 April 1998 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: AltaVistized TMBG TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ TMBG: the anti-swinging argument Re: TMBG: A show of talents... Re: NON-TMBG: Talent TMBG: UK article (by me) Re: NONTMBG: Anyone heard of them?... Re: TMBG: the pro-swinging argument Re: TMBG: UK article (by me) Re: TMBG: A show of talents... Re: NON-TMBG: Talent TMBG: Review: Seton Hall Concert TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #5-14 TMBG: since everyone else is doing this... Re: TMBG: the anti-swinging argument Re: TMBG: Review: Seton Hall Concert NON-TMBG: How the List works Re: TMBG: UK article (by me) -Reply TMBG: CD costs TMBG: radio promos Re: TMBG: radio promos NONTMBG: Other bands & Talent Shows.... Re: NONTMBG: Other bands & Talent Shows.... TMBG: More UK TMBG: Music at Schools Re: TMBG: the anti-swinging argument NON-TMBG: everything other than tmbg... Very Non TMBG:Bjork Re: TMBG: Music at Schools Re: Very Non TMBG:Bjork TMBG: NO!!! and HUH??? and bands... Re: TMBG: the anti-swinging argument NON-TMBG: Wesley Willis, master of the universe TMBG: Appeal of TMBG NON-TMBG: the anti-swinging argument Re: NON-TMBG: Wesley Willis, master of the universe Re: NON-TMBG: the anti-swinging argument Re: TMBG: the anti-swinging argument (none) Re: NON-TMBG: the anti-swinging argument Re: NON-TMBG: the anti-swinging argument Re: NON-TMBG: the anti-swinging argument Re: Very Non TMBG:Bjork TMBG: Pittsburgh show TMBG: Oops Re: TMBG: Appeal of TMBG TMBG: Details Mag+Clarification+Advice on Student-only Concerts Re: TMBG: Appeal of TMBG Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 23:57:18 -0800 From: J Chen Subject: Re: TMBG: AltaVistized TMBG Nathan wrote: >I wasted some time today using AltaVista's translator >(babelfish.altavista.digital.com) to translate TMBG lyrics into foreign >languages and back again, and I thought I'd share my results with the >list. Some of them are fairly amusing. The intermediate language is >mentioned before each set of lyrics. Thanks, Nathan! My brother and I were ROTFL!!! I want to take some of these now and pass them off as deep poetry! --LVJeff ==========================_______________________________________... . . . | from LVJeff | Kerim Bey: "But I am already in your debt." | friend to Lan's tigers | James Bond: "How can a friend be in debt?" | alecson@ucla.edu | ========================== - From Russia with Love ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 03:15:00 -0400 (EDT) From: Majordomo Message-Id: <199804160715.DAA10408@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT When you send a message to the list you are sending messages to hundreds of people. Make sure that your message is one that hundreds of people need to read. Do not send "me too" messages to the list. Do not send messages about non-tmbg topics to the list. Hold private conversations in private e-mail. Sending messages that the list administrator deems off topic will result in your being removed from the list. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 03:19:03 +0100 From: beknowles@vassar.edu (Ben Knowles) Subject: TMBG: the anti-swinging argument Message-id: <01IVX7LFCS1E003QD3@VASSAR.EDU> let me just state for the record that if any moron (or group of morons) standing in front of me tomorrow night gets the bright idea to start this swinging bullshit, i am going to be pissed. i mean, what the fuck? you know what They shows are like - they're crowded as hell. swinging requires space, and that's something you just can't have unless you wanna stand in the back. which i don't. so you just go ahead and move to the back of the room and swing your little heart out so that i can be that one step closer to the almighty johns. if there's any swinging to be done anywhere around me, it's going to be me swinging a bat down on their skulls. (see how i tied in the skull thing? here, watch me do it again:) i'd be like "ay! turn around motherfucker, there's a human skull on the ground." [bat decends slow-motion-like upon said motherfuckers head, damage to cranium ensues] really, now. how many of you wouldn't be a tad peeved if you were up by the stage (where i plan to be) and the people standing next to you started swinging, for chrissakes? as if i don't get banged around enough. that could really ruin my concert. (btw, moshing is okay, as moshing is equal-opportunity. perhaps if one could devise some sort of free-for-all swinging thing...) i'm not a violent person at all, really. i just like to have my personal space respected - and if it isn't then i'm liable to strike out. or more likely to retreat in fear, get really pissed off, have no fun, and be in a general bad mood for two hours or so. and we don't that now, do we? love and daffodils, ben "my general relativity test tomorrow is going to kick my ass, take my name, steal my lunch money, and leave me hogtied in the girl's locker room" knowles ps. bands that i like: dan bern, dar williams, matthew sweet, orbital, bjork, beatles, paul simon (graceland is so good it hurts), aphex twin, any techno with a good house beat, and about a zillion others that i won't waste bandwidth with... *%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%* | | | "Every jumbled pile of person Ben Knowles - Vassar College | | has a thinking part that wonders beknowles@vassar.edu | | what the part that isn't thinking Physics - Astronomy | | isn't thinking of." - TMBG Philosophy - Metaphysics | | | *%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%* ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 05:59:22 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: A show of talents... Message-ID: <19980416.060316.3174.1.yoda89@juno.com> From: yoda89@juno.com (James C Stiffey) On Wed, 15 Apr 1998 20:12:50 -0500 "The Li'l Depressed Boy" writes: >The school talent show is coming up and my group doesn't want to >perform >anything original, so we decided we'll play some TMBG. I want to know >what >you guys think we (Henry Likes Ninjas) should perform? Howabout teh Guitar. Got to love Base Solo's --- Love is like a snowmobile ride through the north. All of a sudden it flips over, trapping you underneath......At night, the Ice Weasels come. _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 04:48:41 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Talent >best (which was true cuz we kicked ass!!), but they cited the fact that it >took guts for us to play original stuff while the other bands copped out by >playing already established songs (like nirvana (BLECH!) or Metallica >(Yeah!)). anyway, my point is that it is more respectable (and more fun) to >play songs that come from YOUR heart and soul, rather than someone else's. I don't think it is more respectable, but original songs usually are performed with more gusto. However, I wouldn't call TMBG songs already established in the sense that Nirvana and Metallica are. Harf, Mitch ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19980416111032.007ace80@mail-in.keme.net> Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 11:10:32 +0100 From: The Ellesleys Subject: TMBG: UK article (by me) Just mailing to say that myself and a mate are setting up a magazine called "Bitter & Twisted" (basically because he is Bitter and I am Twisted). I am writing a piece on musical unheards. The first issue will feature TMBG. OK, OK, They are not unheard to you lot over the big blue ocean in the US but to us Brits they are fairly small. Anyway, anyone wanting a copy of this article is to mail me and I will send it just as soon as it's finished! (please remember that some of us have filters and would be thankfull for TMBG or NON TMBG at the begining of the subject) THE ELLESLEYS (of Colchester-Essex-UK) Home Page: Http://www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/ TMBG page: Http://members.xoom.com/uncle_squid/Xoom/ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ "Get those missles ready to destroy the universe!" - They Might Be Giants "For Science" ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3535E8B3.2C41703D@megahits.com> Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 07:17:07 -0400 From: Lee Steel Organization: BetaLab Subject: Re: NONTMBG: Anyone heard of them?... Music: Oingo Boingo, Frank Zappa, Deloris Telescope, Talking Heads, Squeeze, Wild Man Fischer, Captain Beefheart, Lincoln, .......... Authors: Jack Chalker, Whitley Streeber, William Bouroughs -Mr.Lee ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 05:46:40 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: the pro-swinging argument Message-ID: <19980416.054901.11094.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) > (btw, moshing is okay, as moshing is >equal-opportunity. perhaps if one could devise some sort of >free-for-all >swinging thing...) well... you can always cut in... that generally works if you really want to be able to swing with the rest of 'em :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ::::The Official Gum Bubble:::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 05:48:45 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: UK article (by me) Message-ID: <19980416.054901.11094.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) >OK, They are not unheard to you lot over the big blue ocean in the US >but >to us Brits they are fairly small uhm... didn't bridhouse go top three in england? am i hallucinating again? as far as i remember TMBG climbed higher on the british and australian charts than they ever did here :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ::::The Official Gum Bubble:::: On Thu, 16 Apr 1998 11:10:32 +0100 The Ellesleys writes: >Just mailing to say that myself and a mate are setting up a magazine >called >"Bitter & Twisted" (basically because he is Bitter and I am Twisted). >I am >writing a piece on musical unheards. The first issue will feature >TMBG. OK, >OK, They are not unheard to you lot over the big blue ocean in the US >but >to us Brits they are fairly small. Anyway, anyone wanting a copy of >this >article is to mail me and I will send it just as soon as it's >finished! > >(please remember that some of us have filters and would be thankfull >for >TMBG or NON TMBG at the begining of the subject) > > > THE ELLESLEYS > (of Colchester-Essex-UK) > > Home Page: Http://www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/ > TMBG page: Http://members.xoom.com/uncle_squid/Xoom/ > >^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ > > "Get those missles ready to destroy the universe!" > > - They Might Be Giants "For Science" > >^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ > _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980416121625.006fc7f8@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 07:16:25 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: A show of talents... >>The school talent show is coming up and my group doesn't want to >>perform >>anything original, so we decided we'll play some TMBG. I want to know >>what >>you guys think we (Henry Likes Ninjas) should perform? > > >Howabout teh Guitar. Got to love Base Solo's > Would be good but a local ska band performs the same song, rather horridly at that. LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980416122033.006ec8a8@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 07:20:33 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Talent At 10:19 PM 4/15/98 +0000, Josh Morgan wrote: >> The school talent show is coming up and my group doesn't want to perform >> anything original, so we decided we'll play some TMBG. I want to know what >> you guys think we (Henry Likes Ninjas) should perform? > >I say don't play any covers, TMBG or other... go with originals (if you >have any). i'm speaking from experience here. my band played at our talent > We would, but we only get one song, and we prefer to be paid for our orriginals. Plus on the big end, our original songs aren't very complete yet, so we decided to do covers. Either it's gonna be TMBG or "Marilyn Hanson," which is a very silly cover. LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: Robert Plass Subject: TMBG: Review: Seton Hall Concert Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 10:04:55 -0400 Hello exquisite living people, The lovely Shana Carter (a.k.a. RabidChild of the Musings Board) and her roommate, Kristen, and I went to beautiful South Orange for the Seton Hall University Show last night. They wouldn't let us buy tickets, b/c we weren't SHU students, so we ended up standing around waiting for a student. Well, there was like NO ONE buying tickets, but we found someone. Turns out Hal had guestlisted all three of us, but we didn't know it b/c the guest list was in a another building far away from the tickets (RATS!) Anyway, the concert was held in a big gymnasium - I think the same one that the famous Seton Hall (Big East NCAA) basketball team plays in, I dunno. The whole floor was covered in a crinkly tarpaulin and the room had the acoustics of a canyon (that is to say, really bad). There was a barrier about five feet from the stage, but with all our leaning and dancing, we pushed it in about four feet closer. The stage was eye-level and Dan Hickey's drum set was raised up on a two-foot platform (strange#1). Linnell's keyboard was on a goofy looking pastel blue table that looked like it belongs in a first grade schoolroom (strange#2). Flans had a goofy great time with his wireless mike, and at one point he was just screaming like an idiot into it, "Wireless Mike! Wireless Mike!" Lincoln opened (sans one Dan and sans one keyboard), but they rocked. The sound quality was. . .interesting - the echo effect combined with the fact that about 100 people showed up for an arena that could have held 3,000+ didn't help the situation. Lincoln kicked butt - they have some new songs and a distinct sound without the other Dan. Concert was great - featuring (in the order I remember them): Snail Rest Worm - Flans said the new album is set to come out on Restless Records in August, and that Dr. Worm was the first track, and came right after "Put your hands together!" Apparently, Dr. Worm is a studio track on what otherwise is supposed to be a live album. Spider Guitar Size Lie (Stick was sideways most of the song?!?!?) Istan (with an awesome Hal Cragin Intro) Spy / Broom / Barney Miller / Yankee Doodle Dandy Bird NYC Polk ("someone here tonight will DIE!!!!" - Linnell) Pet (Flans really had fun with the wireless mike - he actually walked offstage, singing, hung around in back of the stage for most of the song, singing, and entered stage left behind Linnell and finished the song behind Dan's drumset!) Exquisite (Flans used his puppet to smack Linnell's keyboard near the end. Linnell tried to retaliate by spearing Flans in the chest, but he was too slow.) They got lost (which rocked!) Older S-E-X-X-Y Sing like Girl Turn around Twisting Shoehorn Battle for the Planet of the Apes (where we chant "People!" and "Ape!") The concert ended abruptly - they just played "Guitar" and then just left - no encores, even though we were all screaming and hooting and hollering and shit. All in all, they put out a rocking, full-force hard concert effort - for a small handful of people (maybe 100-150) in a gigantic arena - which was cool of them, I think. Robert Plass --------------------------- "Yeah, audiences suck! Concerts would be much better without audiences!" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35361479.F1603073@btc.adaptec.com> Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 08:23:53 -0600 From: Russ Josephson Organization: Adaptec, Inc Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #5-14 > > Message-Id: <3.0.32.19980415123713.0072a1f4@mailbox.ucdavis.edu> > Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 12:37:18 -0700 > From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd > Subject: TMBG: Automobile magazine > > P.S. to the people who wanted videos--Get Russ Josephson's Video Bootlegs. > Russ, you still around? Speak! :) Hello all, Yes, I'm still here, and waiting for TMBG to tour in the west again. It's been over a year now! I've sent out at least 600 copies of my TMBG video bootleg tapes thus far, spreading far and wide their great they-ness. Check out my web page for latest details. I now have Vol 1, Vol 2, Vol 3 and a Concert video with BOTH the '96 and '97 hatch shell concerts. That's 8 hours of TMBG video! And more to come if you have new stuff to trade with me. Check out my "have" list. It's just so hard to read all the posts that come in every day to this list. Russ ======================================================================== Russ Josephson http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158 Berthoud, Colorado, USA mailto:russj@juno.com "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria "It is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do" -- 2 Nephi 25:23 ------------------------------ From: BrthrJuan Message-ID: <7c208378.35361b54@aol.com> Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 10:53:07 EDT Subject: TMBG: since everyone else is doing this... i may as well let you all know what else i listen to (i always have music of some sort playing in my room, and have way top many cds to count, i think i am over 500 now) alice in chains (older stuff), the allman brothers, the aquabats, the beatles, beck, bjork, eric clapton, dream theater, emerson lake and palmer, god street wine, the grateful dead, steve howe, lords of acid, the moistboyz, monopuff, mr. bungle, oingo boingo, orbital, phish, pink floyd, primus, soul coughing, THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS, tool, stevie ray vaughan, violent femmes, rick wakeman, ween, yes, frank zappa well, that i sonly a small portion of it, i am sure that there are bands that no one else has ever heard of that i like (Baribe Bones, My Head, Youth Gone Mad - if anyone has heard of them that impresses me). thanks for reading my list, well, i am sure some did not, oh well. In anticipation of the new album, and wanting to hear more TMBG songs, a few friends and i got about 250 mgs of TMBG rare and live songs in Mp3 format and made up some cds of them. All i can say is that i still want the new album to come out, as well as the new monopuff. ------------------------------ From: Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 9:54:11 CST Subject: Re: TMBG: the anti-swinging argument Message-ID: <171E1406894@athena.valpo.edu> i say swing your hearts out everybody, if only for the sake of severely pissing somebody off, who has a stick up his ass with another stick up its ass. if you're a couple more feet away from the johns, so what? getting pissed because you're too far away to calculate the exact number of nose hairs john linell has isn't justified. besides, i've been at ska shows where the bands have asked the moshers to move to the back because they wanted the skankers to be up front. on top of that, there are only maybe three or four tmbg songs you can swing dance to anyway, (hot cha, and maybe lie still ilttle bottle and you'll miss me), some of which may not even get played. so it's not like mr.-i'll-kick-the-shit-out-of-you-but-i'm-not- a-voilent-person is really going to be that far away from the altar, er stage, for that long of a time. [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "Instead of creating new weapons of destruction, we ought to get some use out of the ones we already have." Deep Thoughts [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: or p356jskrenes@exodus.valpo.edu Wehrenberg Hall Airwaves: Sunday nights, 12-2am 95.1, WVUR Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980416154630.8428.rocketmail@send1b.yahoomail.com> Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 08:46:30 -0700 (PDT) From: Amanda Nichols Subject: Re: TMBG: Review: Seton Hall Concert > Flans had a goofy great time with his > wireless mike, and > at one point he was just screaming like an idiot into it, "Wireless > Mike! Wireless Mike!" Uh.. unless TDK has been wired in the past, I think you mean "Wireless Mic." Mic= short for microphone, *not* Michael. Mike can hold a mic, but chances are Mic can't hold a Mike. It looks weird, but it's right. As for the room acoustics, it sounds like the people doing sound for the space have never had to mic anything more than a game in the room.. either that, or they haven't been through the standard room acoustics/resonance drill that they push all of us AudioGeeks through here at Emerson... mmm, math. Sorry for seeming curt, but I've been running around like a nut for the past few days trying to secure a brandy-new transmitter for my station and, to make a long story extremely short, people suck. Filled to the brim with resonance calculations (even the fun ones that let you calculate the threshold of pain in watts), Amanda _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19980416085839.00726540@mailbox.ucdavis.edu> Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 08:58:46 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: NON-TMBG: How the List works >No I didn't, when I sent it the header was "Request". That's my point. >Someone else, somewhere, puts TMBG or whatever. Could they please do it >the same every time? The way it works is this: the software looks to see if there's anything like "TMBG" or "NON-TMBG" in the subject line. If there isn't, it appends (well, prefixes) the subject line with "TMBG: " So it's up to everyone individually to put what they think should go there. Most people stick with "TMBG:" and "NON-TMBG:". --nicole the ever-helpful wonder nerd who notices that there are quite a few new people on the list and urges them to read the FAQ, handily located at http://www.tmbg.org . *** "There's three new roses growing in the lane. It's been a long, hard winter, but now there's rain. If you want my tears, tell me your name."--Dan Bern Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn Public PGP key at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn/key.html ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 16:59:24 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: UK article (by me) -Reply uhm... didn't bridhouse go top three in england? am i hallucinating again? as far as i remember TMBG climbed higher on the british and australian charts than they ever did here :) take it easy, JOrdaN Yes well it probably did go to number 3 but how many tours of the UK have they done to back it up!? I saw a review of one concert but it was many years ago. And it isn't easy to pick up their CDs either. For example most of the London Oxford Street record shops only have 2 of their CDs in stock at most. The good side is that they are resonably priced at #9.99sterling - which for the UK is cheap. How much do TMBG CDs cost in the USA? Regards Richard Hilton ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9804161758.AA11289@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: CD costs Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 13:58:18 -0400 (EDT) > most of the London Oxford Street record shops only have 2 of their CDs > in stock at most. The good side is that they are resonably priced at > =A39.99sterling - which for the UK is cheap. How much do TMBG CDs cost > in the USA? > Generally, I would say new TMBG CDs (like most albums) are $10-14 or about 6 to 8.5 pounds. But you can sometimes find CDs used for $6-9 or about 3.5 to 5.5 pounds. As for singles, well I've seen them for $5-6 new and $2-3 used (approximately 3-3.5 pounds & 1.2-1.8 pounds, respectively). It's not so much the albums that are difficult to find here as a few of the singles ('Hotel Detective' and 'Statue Got me High' come to mind, not to mention radio-promo only singles and live albums). -Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9804161803.AA11303@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: radio promos Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 14:03:36 -0400 (EDT) Hi, I'm trying to think of all of the official, non-commercially released singles TMBG have, i.e. the radio-promo singles. I can think of Snail Shell, Birdhouse in your Soul, AKA Driver, Sleeping in the Flowers, (particle man??), but I can't think of any others. Anyone know of any more out there and if, indeed, Particle Man, was a single? Thanks, Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 12:31:03 -0600 (MDT) From: jim Subject: Re: TMBG: radio promos Message-ID: On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Matthew James wrote: > Hi, > I'm trying to think of all of the official, non-commercially released > singles TMBG have, i.e. the radio-promo singles. At our station we have a killer vinyl of "Hey Mr DJ" with the song on both sides. In the center it reads in very plain font, "This Side: Hey Mr. DJ, I Thought You Said We Had a Deal That Side: Hey Mr. DJ, I Thought You Said We Had a Deal" -jim programming director of 73 crazed volunteer disc jockeys ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot Message-ID: <1ab8afeb.3536524c@aol.com> Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 14:47:39 EDT Subject: NONTMBG: Other bands & Talent Shows.... Well, I like the Spice Girls, Vanilla Ice, Hootie & the Blowfish, & Hanson, of course...no wait, those are the bands I hate. I like (in no order): Soul Coughing, TMBG, Mono Puff, The Nixons, Our Lady Peace, Blur, PUSA, NIN, Poingly (http://www.poingly.com, one of my bands), Butthole Surfers, Tripping Daisy, David Bowie, & well, a crapload more. I, as well, will be in a talent show at my school with another one of my bands (not poingly, however). I could never convince my band-mates (in this band, anyway, although poingly once tried to cover Particle Man, poorly without practicing) to play a TMBG song, i like to play TMBG-guitar riffs to make my bassist/co-vocalist go into convulsions (he hates them, so it's pretty funny). Last year we did an original & we had to do it double speed due to time restraints (all our good-sounding originals are too long), so this year we are going to do a quick cover of Blur's "Song 2" & I'll probably do a "Boat of Car" solo just so I can make my bassist have convulsions on stage! : ) jason "Following the Traces of his fingernails" glastetter ------------------------------ From: BrthrJuan Message-ID: <913ede85.353653bf@aol.com> Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 14:53:49 EDT Subject: Re: NONTMBG: Other bands & Talent Shows.... In a message dated 4/16/98 2:52:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Happyfroot@aol.com writes: > Vanilla Ice, There is nothing wrong with Vanilla Ice 8-) ------------------------------ From: "Ed Wild" Subject: TMBG: More UK Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 19:08:58 +0100 Message-Id: Is it just me, or everyone in the UK, or everyone in the world, who has these problems? 1. The UK release of the factory showroom has no secret track on it. I've tried it on 7 different CD players and several CD-ROMs and it's just not there. 2. Fingertips is at the and of A18, also bought in the UK, but the bits are all stuck together as 1 track, so the shuffle thing doesn't work. Why? Why? Love e; =========================================================== E-mail marzipan@cheerful.com The InternEddy http://www.christs.cam.ac.uk/~ejw22 The DUBBINternet http://www.christs.cam.ac.uk/~ejw22/dubbin [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: SMILEY7559 Message-ID: <723d9964.35365be7@aol.com> Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 15:28:37 EDT Subject: TMBG: Music at Schools This is about the story of Mat Foley's. My school was the same way. It is so sad how people can't respect eachother's taste in music, and even sadder that a lot of people now a days won't open their minds to music different from what they usually listen to. I just wanted to express my sadness on that subject. Thanks for Reading. Juliet ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 14:42:45 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: the anti-swinging argument At 09:54 AM 4/16/98 -0600, you wrote: >ass. if you're a couple more feet away from the johns, so what? getting >pissed because you're too far away to calculate the exact number of nose >hairs john linell has isn't justified. besides, i've been at ska shows If it's not important to be that close to the Johns, why not move to the back where you can dance without disturbing anyone? Harf, Mitch ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 14:50:41 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: NON-TMBG: everything other than tmbg... Message-ID: > Who D'Y'all listen to besides TMBG, & who D'Y'all read? As far as other bands go...Ben Folds Five (yeah, me and about a zillion others on this list), Phish, Indigo Girls, Morphine, Ani Difranco, Frank Black, the Pixies, Tori Amos, Bettie Serveert, Jale, Yo La Tengo, cub, Superchunk, Ween, Beck, Stereolab, Elvis Costello, Man or Astro-Man?, the Beatles, Ella Fitzgerald (the queen of scat!), Simon and Garfunkel, Pizzicato Five, Wally Pleasant..... And as for authors, well, being an English major (and soon-to-be English graduate student, 'cause I'm a glutton for punishment), I have to read a lot of stuff I really don't want to read. :) But when I'm reading for no immediate academic purpose, I'm a big Tom Robbins fan. Oh, and one of my all-time favorite books is probably _Haroun and the Sea of Stories_ by Salman Rushdie. And I like Vonnegut and Kafka and Flannery O'Connor and Raymond Carver and Margaret Atwood...I also started reading _Zen And The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance_ over Christmas break and it seems to be pretty good so far, and I've been told that I'll like Umberto Eco, so I'm going to read _Foucault's Pendulum_ this summer sometime...and I've been meaning to get into Douglas Adams too. So, um, that's me. :) > besides the aforementioned elvis costello and man or astro man? (who do > the space ghost theme, yay!) Really? Somebody told me Thurston Moore (Sonic Youth) did it. But then, the person who told me that was probably talking out of his nether regions. He does that a lot. :) Yeah, it does sound an awful lot like Man or Astro-Man? now that I think about it. > me likes land of the loops, wesley willis and ani difranco- although her > new album isn't that great. I'm a big Ani fan too, and I'm getting rather attached to the new album, actually. I didn't like it at first either, but it grew on me. It's a different sound for her, but somehow I think it works...I particularly like "Fuel." The pseudo-spoken word thing is cool, methinks...(I like "Gravel" too, but that's probably because at the time it came out, it described the state of my love life with a frightening degree of accuracy--one of those wildly irrational love/hate things--so I guess it "spoke" to me or whatever.) I know she took a lot of crap for doing a less political album than usual, but hey, even goddesses like Ani should be allowed to relax once in a while. :) Wesley Willis is great too. "Rock over London, rock on Chicago. Wheaties. Breakfast of champions." :) --Tara -- Tara Weber 00085244@bigred.unl.edu http://members.tripod.com/~TaraW "We want everybody to have a good time, but we're not on a rock hero trip." --John Flansburgh "It's more of a rock gyro trip." --John Linnell ****MSTie #74191, TMBGer #38978**** ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 15:45:34 -0400 Subject: Very Non TMBG:Bjork Message-ID: <19980416.160548.6358.0.gray42@juno.com> Hey Bjork fans, I gotta question, I was watchin' this old tape of music vidios, when a girl who looked and sounded like Bjork started singin' on the screen. But when the name of the group and all came up, it said sugarcubes or somethin' like that. Was Bjork previously in a group and then went on to perform music on her own, or was i halucinating, or do was I watching Bjork's twin, or do I have a losy memory for voices and faces? Someone help me 8 ^ 0 Mysterio Gal " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 gray42@juno.com _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 16:10:21 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Music at Schools Message-ID: <19980416.161631.6358.1.gray42@juno.com> Same at my school durring my middle school years, but at Booker I met a few fans, My theory: They Might Be Giants is a group that people either strongly love or strongly hate, hardly any inbetween Mysterio Gal " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 gray42@juno.com _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: BrthrJuan Message-ID: <2501fbfb.353669ac@aol.com> Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 16:27:21 EDT Subject: Re: Very Non TMBG:Bjork In a message dated 98-04-16 16:20:27 EDT, you write: << Hey Bjork fans, I gotta question, I was watchin' this old tape of music vidios, when a girl who looked and sounded like Bjork started singin' on the screen. But when the name of the group and all came up, it said sugarcubes or somethin' like that. Was Bjork previously in a group and then went on to perform music on her own, or was i halucinating, or do was I watching Bjork's twin, or do I have a losy memory for voices and faces? >> bjork was the lead singer for the sugar cubes before she went solo. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 16:43:35 -0400 Subject: TMBG: NO!!! and HUH??? and bands... Message-ID: <19980416.164402.3310.1.jbparke@juno.com> From: jbparke@juno.com (Jeff Parker) >One more thing here, I just can't help but notice that Chris "Feeny" >Campbell has yet to follow up with any more posts regarding his friendship >with John Flansburgh. For as long as it went on, I'd like some closure on >the issue. Chris, have you or have you not dropped the correspondence with >this person? Please don't encourage him!!! 8-O >There is nothing wrong with Vanilla Ice 8-) I can't think of anything right with Vanilla Ice... :-p Bands I like: TMBG, BF5, Lincoln, Moxy Fruvous, Tom Petty, REM, Soul Coughing, Radiohead, Republica, Pixies, Nirvana, The Sundays, Pearl Jam, the Sugarcubes, Bjork, Beck, Mono Puff, Cake, Meat Puppets, Garbage, Foo Fighters, Butthole Surfers, Devo, Dave Matthews, The Cure, Squirrel Nut Zippers, Weird Al, Violent Femmes, Space Ghost's Musical Bar-B-Q (Hey Bracky Wacky!), various 80's stuff, some classical, and a bunch of stuff that i forgot... Authors: Stephen King, Douglas Adams, Piers Anthony, Clive Barker, Dean Koontz, Kurt Vonnegut, and and anything having to do with abnormal psychology ('specially multiple personalities)... i think i'm trying to understand myself... :-) That's it... v^v Jeffro v^v _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Kaylum Message-ID: <82447753.35366d6c@aol.com> Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 16:43:22 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: the anti-swinging argument << >ass. if you're a couple more feet away from the johns, so what? getting >pissed because you're too far away to calculate the exact number of nose >hairs john linell has isn't justified. besides, i've been at ska shows > If it's not important to be that close to the Johns, why not move to the >back where you can dance without disturbing anyone? Harf, Mitch >> I have to agree with Mitch here. People who go to the trouble to get to a show extra early to get a front row spot (I admit I'm one of 'em) want to be immersed in the total experience of the show, not missing a detail (tho may I say for the record that I've *never* counted Linnell's nose hairs!). People more interested in dancing should go back where conditions are less crowded. It just makes sense. Kay ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199804162133.RAA27336@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 16:34:03 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: NON-TMBG: Wesley Willis, master of the universe >Wesley Willis is great too. "Rock over London, rock on Chicago. >Wheaties. Breakfast of champions." :) You're the first person encountered (outside of my strange friend who introduced me to his music) that has heard of, let alone enjoyed, the music of Wesley Willis. Right now I'm partial to Vampire Bat. Harf, Mitch ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 16:38:28 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: TMBG: Appeal of TMBG >My theory: They Might Be Giants is a group that people either strongly >love or strongly hate, hardly any inbetween That hasn't been my experience. I've never met anyone who actually disliked TMBG, after hearing them. Most people I introduce to TMBG are fairly indifferent, or comment that it is nice. Some enjoy it enough to buy a couple CDs, and occasionally I create a new fan. But I've never met anyone who disliked them, let alone hated them. On the other hand I haven't made it a point of blaring it over the PA system, or something of the like. Many people will claim to dislike music that they are forced to listen to against their will. That's one of the reasons country music, in Texas, inspires revulsion in many people. I don't think it is because country is so awful, but just because in Texas one is confronted with it rather often. That's the main source of my dislike for it, I think -- my parents made me listen to ever since I was a kid. Whenever someone has voluntarily listened to TMBG, in my experience, their opinion has been at worst indifferent. Harf, Mitch ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199804162145.RAA27712@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 16:46:34 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: NON-TMBG: the anti-swinging argument >I have to agree with Mitch here. People who go to the trouble to get to a >show extra early to get a front row spot (I admit I'm one of 'em) want to be >immersed in the total experience of the show, not missing a detail (tho may I >say for the record that I've *never* counted Linnell's nose hairs!). People >more interested in dancing should go back where conditions are less crowded. >It just makes sense. It just seems to me that if you want to dance, you require space, and space is not readily available at the front of the concert. Additionally, as Kay pointed out, most people at the front have arrived early in order to get such a position. To be forced away from the front by others is rather irritating. Of course, at many concerts being at the front necessarily means being in a mosh pit. But TMBG isn't really that sort of group. People jump around a lot, but usually it doesn't force people away from the front. Someone gave the example that at a ska show the band asked people up front to make room for skanking. That is true, but I've never heard TMBG request a thing. If anything I've heard them request the crowd to calm down. People can argue that dancers have every right to be at the front, but I guess my only response is that I have a sense of personal space, and I think a lot of people at the front do. Hell, the Johns themselves certainly do. This usually doesn't effect me and my friends as much, as we're all fairly tall and solid. But people who aren't as large are often forced away from the stage, or are hurt by people running into them. It's a shame, because it can't make the concert very enjoyable for them... Okay, enough of listening to myself talk. I don't think I'll find anyone to agree with me that didn't already do so prior to this message... Harf, Mitch ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980416214733.006f7cf4@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 16:47:33 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Wesley Willis, master of the universe At 04:34 PM 4/16/98 -0500, Mitchell Harding wrote: >>Wesley Willis is great too. "Rock over London, rock on Chicago. >>Wheaties. Breakfast of champions." :) > >You're the first person encountered (outside of my strange friend who >introduced me to his music) that has heard of, let alone enjoyed, the music >of Wesley Willis. Right now I'm partial to Vampire Bat. > Don't forget me, god I love Wesley Willis. My brother Fabien Road Warrior as a gag gift, and I love it. I like to put him, TMBG, Lincoln, Soul Coughing, and Ween on my school's Morning announcements, you should have heard the reaction I got from "Alanis Morresette," my personal favorite of Wesley's songs. LDB, "Rock over London, rock over Chicago; Taco Bell: Run for the border." -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3536A8DF.1ED9@fuse.net> Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 17:57:03 -0700 From: Jay Organization: The Confounded Bridge Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: the anti-swinging argument Mitchell Harding wrote: > Okay, enough of listening to myself talk. I don't think I'll find anyone to > agree with me that didn't already do so prior to this message... > > Harf, > Mitch > me. :) love nad good happiness stuff, the pointless jay who didn't like being thrown five feet by the congo line at the bogarts show last year in cincy ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 18:09:22 -0400 (EDT) From: LN Subject: Re: TMBG: the anti-swinging argument Message-ID: > People > more interested in dancing should go back where conditions are less crowded. > It just makes sense. Hrm.... except for the ever popular pogo. (the up-down on the beat for fun but not hurting anyone else dance that's fun to do to 'birdhaus' and the like) I went thru the trouble of securing myself a front-row spot at this last year's Hatch Shell show... I waited paitiantly thru the first two acts, and when they came on, I wsa all ready to cut loose and have fun pogoing... but the guy next to me whips out a video camera and the girl he was with puts her hand around him, palm out to me, so I won't joggle the camera of course... I was trying to be concientious, but she just sits there and her palm bangs against me lots (and how could I not joggle the camera guy? Those shows are PACKED.) The wierd thing is, if they had asked me to be careful, I wouldn't have minded half as much, but they assumed I'd be an ass and hit him alot... finally I told the girl I was doing my best not to hit him, and would she PLEASE put her hand down? I think this experience bothered me more than the Hatch Shell show a year ago, where crowd surfers were being constantly dropped on my head, I was crushed LOTS, and we got backed into a mosh pit full of drunken college students... :P -=ellen=- "Every seashell has a story to tell, if you're listening... But underneath every shell there's a story as well, if you've heard enough of the sea..." ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980416.150521.8055.1.dayomont@juno.com> From: dayomont@juno.com (Matte Black) Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 18:08:00 EDT Hello. I am a brand new member to this list. My name is Matt Jenkins...now there are at least 2 Matt's that I see...both with the last initial J. I will just call myself Matte Black. I live in Idaho Falls, Idaho and have been a TMBG fan for quite a while. I saw them in concert a couple of years ago when Cub was the opening act. It was different from any concert I had been to--with most concerts, the band doesn't tell you to form one big congo line in the middle of their song. I am interested in knowing more about the tricks and secret tracks. I haven't found any on the albums I have. Thanks. Matte. _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199804162217.SAA28772@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 17:17:26 -0500 From: "angular unconformity, the naked singularity" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: the anti-swinging argument >> Okay, enough of listening to myself talk. I don't think I'll find anyone to >> agree with me that didn't already do so prior to this message... but what about people who get there early because they want to be in the front, but also enjoy dancing at shows? though it is obviously a great evil thing, i like moshing... true i wouldn't at a tmbg show since they don't like it very much and it's not really the music for it, but hmmmm... moshing is not evil. and it's possible to do so without running people over, and moshers/swingers/dancers/skankers and whoever deserve to be able to be at the front of shows just as much as anyone else.... rabidchild paul (who has been burned by too many mailing lists slamming moshers...) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199804162229.SAA29148@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 17:30:20 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: the anti-swinging argument >>> Okay, enough of listening to myself talk. I don't think I'll find anyone to >>> agree with me that didn't already do so prior to this message... > >but what about people who get there early because they want to be in the >front, but also enjoy dancing at shows? though it is obviously a great >evil thing, i like moshing... true i wouldn't at a tmbg show since they >don't like it very much and it's not really the music for it, but hmmmm... >moshing is not evil. and it's possible to do so without running people >over, and moshers/swingers/dancers/skankers and whoever deserve to be able >to be at the front of shows just as much as anyone else.... My feeling is that, as you said, it isn't the music for it and the band themselves don't like it. For both of those reasons I'd say it shouldn't be done. But aside from that, dancing requires space. And the place at a concert where space is most at a premium is at the front. I think dancing (by which I mean dancing such that it disturbs those around you) at the front, if only to please the greatest number of people, isn't good. Harf, Mitch ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980416175419.006938b0@pop.indy.net> Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 17:54:19 -0400 From: rachel Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: the anti-swinging argument but what about people who get there early because they want to be in the >front, but also enjoy dancing at shows? though it is obviously a great >evil thing, i like moshing... true i wouldn't at a tmbg show since they >don't like it very much and it's not really the music for it, but hmmmm... >moshing is not evil. and it's possible to do so without running people >over, and moshers/swingers/dancers/skankers and whoever deserve to be able >to be at the front of shows just as much as anyone else.... > >rabidchild >paul (who has been burned by too many mailing lists slamming moshers...) > > well, i for one really can't stand moshers. and my opinion has nothing to do with the way the johns feel. it just really pisses me off when there are people slamming into me and knocking me over when i just want to enjoy the music. my idea of fun is not trying to maintain my balance and avoid serious injury at a tmbg show. granted, i can see where it would be acceptable at other shows (ie: nirvana etc.). but don't i have the right to be upfront too without a constant fear of being crushed? meow, rachel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19980416235222.007f1570@mail-in.keme.net> Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 23:52:22 +0100 From: The Ellesleys Subject: Re: Very Non TMBG:Bjork At 15:45 16/04/98 -0400, you wrote: >Hey Bjork fans, I gotta question, I was watchin' this old tape of music >vidios, when a girl who looked and sounded like Bjork started singin' on >the screen. But when the name of the group and all came up, it said >sugarcubes or somethin' like that. Was Bjork previously in a group and >then went on to perform music on her own, or was i halucinating, or do >was I watching Bjork's twin, or do I have a losy memory for voices and >faces? Hello there Evil twin of mine! Yes, Bjork was in the sugar cubes before solo-ing. They had a cool song called "hit" that one of my fave bands (carter the unstoppable sex machine) covered a while ago as one of their b-sides. The sugar cubes are a long step from Bjorks solo stuff though! THE ELLESLEYS (of Colchester-Essex-UK) Home Page: Http://www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/ TMBG page: Http://members.xoom.com/uncle_squid/Xoom/ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ "Get those missles ready to destroy the universe!" - They Might Be Giants "For Science" ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980416232029.23362.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Jason F." Subject: TMBG: Pittsburgh show Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 16:20:28 PDT I called the AJ Palumbo Center but got a recording (it was after hours I guess) but on the recording there was no mention of a TMBG show. It gave another number for the box office, which I called, and again, no mention of a TMBG concert. Tomorrow I have off and will try calling earlier...anyone else know anything about this? --Jason-- Lyric I don't understand for the week: "While I scatter my spit, I dream of juice." -311 "Hot Cha, where are you? Everybody's eyes are closed." -They Might Be Giants ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980416232722.10129.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Jason F." Subject: TMBG: Oops Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 16:27:21 PDT I don't want my signature from the last post to be misunderstood. It should be like this: --Jason-- "Hot Cha, where are you? Everybody's eyes are closed." -They Might Be Giants Lyric I don't understand for the week: "While I scatter my spit, I dream of juice." -311 ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Dr Worm X Message-ID: <94eeca1e.35369c1b@aol.com> Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 20:02:34 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Appeal of TMBG I usually introduce tmbg as "intellectual rock". I don't know about anyone else, but I find this a very appropriate term for Their music. Matt Turn around, turn around, it's a human skull on the ground Simpsons quote of the post: This just in...Go to hell!!- Kent Brockman http://members.aol.com/DrWormX (check out my sideshow) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980416201111.00864cb0@mail.csrlink.net> Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 20:11:11 -0400 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: TMBG: Details Mag+Clarification+Advice on Student-only Concerts Foist off, on a tip by our very own John Shaft I went five different places, to find just one Details Magazine. Course, I checked the most likely place last, but I just wanted an excuse to drive around on mah new license. Anyways, I found it, and then found it easier to simply scan the little TMBG bit they had in there that to type it up. There's also a Flans pic. I put them along with the TMBG pic from People Mag, the once concert pic I took at the double shows in Philly on 9/13/97 that turned out, a pic of the marquee outside that concert, and a scan of one of the black and yellow DAS sticker all on http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/tpeople.html. Erum, in my last post, I was wondering if we'd hear from Feeny that, you know, he had been wrong all along to believe the Flans poser. I wasn't an eager lil fan eagerly awaiting more. Oh, and there's a Cornell student only concert on May 3. This, as I've said, is not far from me. I'd like to go. Do any of you have any advice? I mean, if I went up, I think that I could get someone to buy tickets for me. But, might they checks IDs at the door? I might convince my dad to let me drive up (Road Trip!) and hang out beforehand, if it doesn't look like I'm gonna get in to come home, cause there's no reason to be out late at night in another state on a school night if I can't get to the concert anyway, but if I can, that might be incentive enough. So, first, if there's any Cornell students on the list. I know their used to be, as someone who has read though many of the archives while having nothing better to do. And second, if anyone has advice on this sort of thing, that'd be welcomed. Dylan "The Benevolent but Fuzzy" Flipse Dylan Flipse...one of them. - dflipse@csrlink.net Dylan's page is at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ for now. I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed -They Might Be Giants, the coolest thing this side of Zaphod Beeblebrox. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3536C8BC.7169A189@geocities.com> Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 20:13:02 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: Appeal of TMBG Mitchell Harding wrote: > >My theory: They Might Be Giants is a group that people either strongly > >love or strongly hate, hardly any inbetween > > That hasn't been my experience. I've never met anyone who actually disliked > TMBG, after hearing them. Most people I introduce to TMBG are fairly > indifferent, or comment that it is nice. Some enjoy it enough to buy a > couple CDs, and occasionally I create a new fan. But I've never met anyone > who disliked them, let alone hated them. On the other hand I haven't made > it a point of blaring it over the PA system, or something of the like. Many > people will claim to dislike music that they are forced to listen to > against their will. That's one of the reasons country music, in Texas, > inspires revulsion in many people. I don't think it is because country is > so awful, but just because in Texas one is confronted with it rather often. > That's the main source of my dislike for it, I think -- my parents made me > listen to ever since I was a kid. > > Whenever someone has voluntarily listened to TMBG, in my experience, their > opinion has been at worst indifferent. Well, I haven't exposed TMBG to many people, but it seems to me that it would be difficult to hate Them, unless you listen closely to Their music. If you don't care for Their music, it's rarely noisy or obnoxious, and is probably easy to block out. (Not that I block it out, of course, but I suppose you could if you didn't like it.) -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org or vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #5-15 *****************************