Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #5-16 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 5, Number 16 Saturday, 18 April 1998 Today's Topics: TMBgirl: Re: TMBG: why you're a geek and a dork Non-TMBG: music that doesn't suck? TMBG: Philly show Re: (now semi-NON) TMBG: Appeal of TMBG Re: NON-TMBG: Wesley Willis, master of his universe Re: TMBgirl: Re: TMBG: why you're a geek and a dork TMBG: Requesting Them... NON-TMBG: Dancing in the front TMBG: Re: Re: TMBG: Appeal of TMBG Re: Very Non TMBG:Bjork, TH, and weird Al Re: Very Non TMBG:Bjork TMBG: Re: Non-tmbg: Raves and techno. Re: NON-TMBG: Wesley Willis, master of the universe NONTMBG: Swing-a-ling, ska-la-la Re: NONTMBG: Swing-a-ling, ska-la-la Re: NON-TMBG: Dancing in the front Re: TMBG: why you're a geek and a dork Re: TMBG: Anyone heard of them?... Re: TMBG: The End of the Tour Re: Very Non TMBG:Bjork Re: NON-TMBG: Dancing in the front NON-TMBG: why you're a geek and a dork Re: NON-TMBG: the anti-swinging argument Re: TMBG: Re: Non-tmbg: Raves and techno. Re: NON-TMBG: Dancing in the front Re: NON-TMBG: why you're a geek and a dork Re: NON-TMBG: the anti-swinging argument Re: NON-TMBG: why you're a geek and a dork Re: NON-TMBG: the anti-swinging argument TMBG: Re: Non-tmbg: Raves and techno. Re: NON-TMBG: Dancing in the front TMBG: non-tmbg ska ska ska is dance music!!!! Re: TMBG: non-tmbg ska ska ska is dance music!!!! Re: NON-TMBG: Dancing in the front Re: NON-TMBG: the anti-swinging argument Re: NON-TMBG: why you're a geek and a dork TMBG: Show tonight and Mr. Willis Bands NON-TMBG: BJORK TMBG: live Re: NON-TMBG: Dancing in the front Re: NON-TMBG: why you're a geek and a dork NON-TMBG: live TMBG: Actual info on Pittsburgh show!!!! TMBG: Rejection at New Haven Show TMBG: show at Toad's Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 18:20:52 -0600 Subject: TMBgirl: Re: TMBG: why you're a geek and a dork Message-ID: <19980416.182055.14414.4.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) DISCLAIMER: you guys all have major sticks up your asses that seriously need to be removed. while i'm not the one to do so for you, i would at least like to make some points here to let you guys realize that although you may think you belong to some elite class of TMBG fans you don't deserve special treatment. >> People who go to the trouble to get >to a >>show extra early to get a front row spot (I admit I'm one of 'em) >want to be >>immersed in the total experience of the show, not missing a detail >(tho may I >>say for the record that I've *never* counted Linnell's nose hairs!). GO SIT IN THE BACK!!! there's no one there to bug you... you can pay attention to every last thing going on PLUS you have the advantage of not missing any thing going on in the audience. i think perhaps this is why TMBG audiences get tagged as being "geeks and dorks" or whatever it was... >It just seems to me that if you want to dance, you require space, and >space >is not readily available at the front of the concert.... > Additionally, as >Kay >pointed out, most people at the front have arrived early in order to >get >such a position. i personally don't understand why you would want to go to a concert and stand still for 2 hours... you could get a bootleg and listen to it (or get a video bootleg and watch it, if watching the show is what you're interested in) if that's all you're gonna do. if people want to go and dance let 'em... they paid just as much money as you did to see the show and they have just as much of a right to be in the front row as you do. If they boot you out of your place in front that's too bad for you, but in all honesty they have just as much right to that space in front as you do regardless of how early you get there. It doesn't matter if they choose to use that space to dance or to sit on their ass like you seem to enjoy... it's not your personal show even if you are a bigger giants fan than they might be. > People >>more interested in dancing should go back where conditions are less >crowded. >>It just makes sense. how exactly does it "just make sense" there are gonna be just as many people in the room... whether they're in the front or the back. If they come to the front, they obviously have no problem with the crowds... if you have a problem with the crowds in front maybe you should be the one to move... ya ever think you weren't the god of the show and that everyone should conform to how you want it to be? > That is true, but I've never heard TMBG request a thing. >If >anything I've heard them request the crowd to calm down. i've heard them request that EVERYONE join the conga line... my theories for this are as follows: #1 so that people are moving around, having a good time and generally enjoying themselves (this point may be beyond you as you seem to like to sit on your ass the whole time) #2 move the people in the front so that other people actually have a chance to be there. ("other people" that aren't pushy enough to just move you out of the space) #3 is the magic number. >I have a sense of personal space, and I >think a lot of people at the front do. which is why you are the last person that should be up there. > But people who aren't as large are often forced away >from >the stage, or are hurt by people running into them. It's a shame, >because >it can't make the concert very enjoyable for them... first off i would just like to say that i am a 5'7" (which isn't all that tall compared to the majority of the people at shows in the front) 120lb. chick that can fend for myself in a the roughest of pits... i have left a mosh pit once in my life at a concert and i would just like to say that my friend Kevin, who's pretty big, stayed in the pit the whole time left that night with 3 broken ribs... i guess what i'm saying is that it's not just your size... it's your disposition... how many of you have been kicked in the head by a crowd-surfer at a concert? i know these guys sean and josh go to shows and if there's a person that's all up-tight about what's going on around them (which appears to be how you are when people start dancing) and making the show less enjoyable for everyone else cuz they're bitching... they will have the other one hoist them up and they will deliberately kick those people in the head. now if you're sitting there saying that is extremely rough etc... think about your comment regarding how you're gonna beat the shit out of anyone dancing... you see how it goes both ways... they want to have fun, you want to have fun, somehow there's gotta be a way that everyone can all at once, even if that means you moving to the back. >Okay, enough of listening to myself talk. ditto, my rant is over. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ::::The Official Self Procmained Bitch, Just Ask Rob!:::: heehee :) _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19980416174921.00797140@proaxis.com> Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 17:49:21 -0700 From: Bridget Subject: Non-TMBG: music that doesn't suck? not that anyone cares or anything like that, but i can never resist a good chance to blather on about my interests. so here you go. (btw, whoever asked what music we all like is probably regretting it like hell right now, eh?) music that is cool: tmbg, hum, space, ben folds five, nine inch nails, pulp, blur, radiohead, cherry poppin' daddies, royal crown revue, squirrel nut zippers, beck, marilyn manson, violent femmes, mono puff, pavement, kula shaker, morphine (regretting it yet?), bis, cake, weezer, smash mouth, third eye blind, REM, the cure, duncan sheik, the RENT soundtrack books/authors that are cool: J.D. salinger, douglas adams, kurt vonnegut, lewis thomas (yay lives of a cell yay), ray bradbury, shakespeare, joseph heller, aldous huxley, george orwell, richard preston, the truth machine, pagan kennedy, did i mention j.d. salinger, sylvia plath, nietzsche, creation vs. evolution books. but everyone in the world should read 9 Stories by J.D. Salinger and 1984 by George Orwell. then we'd all be good and pure. btw, to anyone i haven't emailed that i was supposed to, i apologize and blame the mono. and the last-minute school schedule changes. and the subsequent consumption of my soul. bridget "if there's anything less substantial than my ego, i want it caught and shot now" guildner, aka bridget "i purposefully misquoted that, so you don't have to have me killed" guildner celestia, tooms@proaxis.com moonscape: http://www.proaxis.com/~tooms/moonscape/frames.htm icq # 2814304 "(help me) you make me perfect, help me become somebody else" nin je n'aime pas parler francaise. je ne m'aime pas. no matter how hard i scrub, i still exist. ------------------------------ From: WeirdGiant Message-ID: <1b96c6b0.3536b23d@aol.com> Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 21:37:00 EDT Subject: TMBG: Philly show There was a bit of a confusion about the Philly show in early May, so I would like to clear that up. The show is at the Electric Factory on Friday, May 1st. Tickets are $16.50 each. Anyone else going? Expect me to be wearing a Weird Al shirt and my black AL TV hat. I should be hanging out with three other guys, so keep an eye out for me and I hope to see you there! ~Ryan "Tintin" Leach ------------------------------ From: WeirdGiant Message-ID: <4c6ad137.3536b5ef@aol.com> Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 21:52:44 EDT Subject: Re: (now semi-NON) TMBG: Appeal of TMBG << On the other hand I haven't made it a point of blaring it over the PA system, or something of the like. Many people will claim to dislike music that they are forced to listen to against their will. >> I know exactly what you mean. My friend and I have been trying to get some of our other friends to listen to Phish, but they just refuse, yelling at us when we but it on and complaining for an hour afterwards! If we just easily introduced them, maybe they would get to like Phish.. OK, I guess I had less to say than I thought...I've been writing too much tonight.. ~Ryan "Tintin" Leach ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 19:55:49 -0600 (MDT) From: jim Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Wesley Willis, master of his universe Message-ID: > >Wesley Willis is great too. "Rock over London, rock on Chicago. > >Wheaties. Breakfast of champions." :) > > You're the first person encountered (outside of my strange friend who > introduced me to his music) that has heard of, let alone enjoyed, the music > of Wesley Willis. Right now I'm partial to Vampire Bat. > Wesley Willis is a man that sings because it is necessary for his sanity. His singing and listening to music makes the voices in his head go away which is fine. What isn't cool is that corporate rock jerks tried to cash in on one man's psychosis and signed him and released his music for the modern rock world to either embrace, as you did, or to make the butt of a big music joke, what the other 99.9% of the population did. It is a really sad world which we live in where the idea to make a quick buck comes before someone's mental illness. I myself think Wesley Willis is very unique in what he does, but I can't support the idea of making money off his illness. -jim ------------------------------ From: Kaylum Message-ID: Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 22:11:00 EDT Subject: Re: TMBgirl: Re: TMBG: why you're a geek and a dork > So that people more into dancing than paying attention to the show will have the best view? I fail to see the logic in that. While I agree that the person who said he would kick the shit out of anyone who started swinging was out of line, he or she is the exception to most people who stake out a front spot, whereas for guys like Josh and Sean, dealing with people who annoy them in a violent manner is the norm, something TMBG defnitely don't approve of. Kay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3536CC90.38EA@stlnet.com> Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 21:29:22 -0600 From: Lynne Subject: TMBG: Requesting Them... Hey, all. I just came up with an idea. Just recentely, MTV developed a new show "Total Request" where for half an hour, they go by the majority of requested called or emailed in. I got to thinking (after Carson Daly (sp?) said that it changes everyday and they go by only request) if on one planned night we all requested a TMBG song, they would play it... It starts at 8:30 (central), so we should pick a song and a date and do it. Well, just a thought. Chris chrisl@tmbg.org "She buys a ticket 'cause it's cold where she comes from..." -Adam F. Duritz, Counting Crows ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199804170235.WAA05765@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 21:35:57 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: NON-TMBG: Dancing in the front >do regardless of how early you get there. It doesn't matter if they >choose to use that space to dance or to sit on their ass like you seem to >enjoy... it's not your personal show even if you are a bigger giants fan >than they might be. So why is running into me, possibly hurting me, acceptable whereas (for example) them punching me clearly wouldn't be? In both cases I don't want to be hit and am hit against my will? Dancing is just fine, as I said, just not to the point where it disturbs others. >i've heard them request that EVERYONE join the conga line... my theories >for this are as follows: >#1 so that people are moving around, having a good time and generally >enjoying themselves (this point may be beyond you as you seem to like to >sit on your ass the whole time) I guess you didn't read my message, if you think I want people sitting or standing in place. I'm not sure why I should bother responding if you don't even read the message. >#2 move the people in the front so that other people actually have a >chance to be there. ("other people" that aren't pushy enough to just move >you out of the space) Since there are no rules determining who gets up front, it works like so many other things -- first come, first serve. If you really want to be up front then you show up early. Or you can be rude and force people to move out of your way. >out of anyone dancing... you see how it goes both ways... they want to >have fun, you want to have fun, somehow there's gotta be a way that >everyone can all at once, even if that means you moving to the back. Or if it means them moving to the back. Why is one better than the other? But I ask you -- which option involves less people being physically struck against their will? Mitch ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 21:34:46 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Re: Message-ID: <19980416.222455.6862.0.gray42@juno.com> Welcome Matte Black Factory Showroom has a hidden track before SEXXY. Play the CD, then hit the << button and hold it down, you will hear some backwards singing, when it fades to a point of almost not being able to hear it, release the button and enjoy. That's all I know of for now :) Mysterio Gal " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 gray42@juno.com _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 22:08:46 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Appeal of TMBG Message-ID: <19980416.222456.6862.2.gray42@juno.com> I have several friends who find TMBG obnoxious and easy to dislike (strange but true) the good thing is, for one friend, I played all the bonus tracks of Then, and now he's a real big fan. Says that TMBG is the most uplifting group he's ever heard, previosly he heard some select songs he didn't mix well w/ and assumed all the music was like that (pshaw). Secondly, for another friend I played Monopuff, she truly dislikes TMBG but she seemed to enjoy that Monopuff album (yay!). Half the kids I asked have nevr heard of TMBG, and half of the ones who know about them truly love them, half of the remaining people can only listen to them for a certain amount of time, and the rest don't care for them. Some say they're too happy, or not serious enough, or just didn't give em' a good enough try, well nobody's the same eh' _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 21:51:34 -0400 Subject: Re: Very Non TMBG:Bjork, TH, and weird Al Message-ID: <19980416.222455.6862.1.gray42@juno.com> The rose: The vidio I saw was something along the lines of , lyrics being - "this wasn't sposed to happen, i've fallen in love" not to mention a catchy tune and lots of angry dolls in a dark bedroom. Also on the tape was a Talking Heads Vidio "once in a life time" which I had previosly only heard the live version of, now the thorn: that wonderful tape full of wonderful vidios destroyed my VCR, so now I can watch nothing, no vidio, no cable, alas, whatever shall I do. Well this brings me to the third bit, I got good grades on my report card and got ahold of a used copy of Bad Hair Day by Weird Al. I listened to Everything You Know Is Wrong, I definitely see the TMBG connection. I can't get enough of the song and Amish Paradise (Ah Yeah) Mysterio Gal (bad weather friend) " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 gray42@juno.com _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 21:55:12 -0500 (CDT) From: "Christopher M. Stangl" Subject: Re: Very Non TMBG:Bjork Message-ID: On Thu, 16 Apr 1998 gray42@juno.com wrote: > Hey Bjork fans, I gotta question, I was watchin' this old tape of music > vidios, when a girl who looked and sounded like Bjork started singin' on > the screen. But when the name of the group and all came up, it said > sugarcubes or somethin' like that. Was Bjork previously in a group and > then went on to perform music on her own, or was i halucinating, or do > was I watching Bjork's twin, or do I have a losy memory for voices and > faces? Sugarcubes indeed. Bjork's old band. They're okay. Did you know Paul McCartney was apparently in some band *before* Wings?! -Chris Stangl ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980416225900.006a5d00@pop.kent.edu> Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 22:59:00 -0400 From: Hutchie Subject: TMBG: Re: Non-tmbg: Raves and techno. Ok, someone noticed my posting of my raving experience! (Although they are now called "parties", and "techno"is now also obsolete. Now the music is classified as House, acid-house, happy house, trance, hard techno, etc...) Anyway, since there aren't really many ravers here, I will speak as a representative. Some good CDs and DJs are: Metalheadz: Platinum Breakz- A must have! 2 CD set of Drum n Bass. Atomic Babies Frankie Bones Rabbit in the Moon DJ Hardware Etc... Oh yeah, and DJ Magma! (That's me!) Anyway, raves, or "parties", are REALLY fun. The ingestion of toxic chemicals (drugs), is not mandatory. (Many people assume so.) The dancing is awesome, as well as the music. I will be at the Colombus or Ohio Wesleyan TMBG concert, wearing my 44" leg circumference pants! P.S.- I'm glad to see that other people read Kurt Vonnegut Jr! My favorite is "God Bless You Mr. Rosewater." It rules! - Dave "DJ Magma" Hutch ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 17 Apr 98 00:01 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Wesley Willis, master of the universe > >>Wesley Willis is great too. "Rock over London, rock on Chicago. >>Wheaties. Breakfast of champions." :) > >You're the first person encountered (outside of my strange friend who >introduced me to his music) that has heard of, let alone enjoyed, the music >of Wesley Willis. Right now I'm partial to Vampire Bat. My ex-boyfriend/non-ex-friend Jon played me Wesley Willis last time I visited him. Very odd, I must say... Somewhat tangentally related to this, Tara mentioned Wally Pleasant, and I'd just like to say Mr. Wally Pleasant is a god among mere men. :) Okay, maybe not, but he's really funny and gives a great live show, and is also genuinely nice to people, which is pretty cool. He played my friend Dustin's birthday party at least three years ago, and he still tells all Alma people to say "hi" to Dustin for him. Kirs -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "You think you're so funny, but looks aren't everything." - Lincoln "Wish You Were Dead" Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow ------------------------------ From: cardhappy@usa.net Message-ID: <19980417042415.14076.qmail@www04.netaddress.usa.net> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 04:24:14 Subject: NONTMBG: Swing-a-ling, ska-la-la Just the word "swing" sparks my ears. What was that you said? Oh, a GOLF swing. Anyway, I do have a far-away obsession with that lovely dance music and swing dance. ( i long for those old and new swing sounds in shiny, expensive CD cases) If anyone cares to jitterbug primitively with me at the Catholic U gig feel free... BTW : Yes i saw Swing Kids and it kissed me 3-4 times :) As for what JOrdan wrote earlier about Ska music being guilty of Macarena-like characteristics. I don't think so. Many people (including myself) hear the music on the radio or in the car, and get hooked by the geetar riffs and happy tunes. And THEN one learns to "skank" --which I liked at first, but then disliked after watching hordes of people kicking their legs ferociously like there was no joy in music. They would pump their fists down, meanwhile pounding the uniqueness out of liking ska-type music. And now i'm ambivalent to the mindless conformity. we all do it. who cares, so long as you can still close your eyes and melt in the sounds...feel the breeze... goodnight everyone, eeks! ____________________________________________________________________ Get free e-mail and a permanent address at http://www.netaddress.com/?N=1 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 22:46:47 -0600 Subject: Re: NONTMBG: Swing-a-ling, ska-la-la Message-ID: <19980416.225552.14414.6.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) > And THEN one learns to "skank" --which I liked at first, but then >disliked after watching hordes of people kicking their legs >ferociously like there was no joy in music. that's exactly what i was trying to say... once everyone caught on it just wasn't as cool. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ::::The Official Gum Bubble:::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 22:55:44 -0600 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Dancing in the front Message-ID: <19980416.225552.14414.7.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) > If you really want to be >up >front then you show up early. Or you can be rude and force people to >move >out of your way. i'm not sayin that people dancing should push you out of the way... it just seems that you have a major problem with people dancing, so it seems much more likely for you to move out of the way than for them to stop dancing (when they don't have any problem with the situation). >Or if it means them moving to the back. Why is one better than the >other? that was one of the major points of my message that just got totally lost in the randomness of my trying to make sense... you see, i was trying to point out that you were the one with the problem, not them. They would obviously enjoy where they were dancing or they would move. If you don't enjoy them dancing right by you, then you should move. one is not better than the other, i'm just saying that whoever has a problem with it should move... given this totally hypothetical situation they appear not to have a problem, you do. thus, you should move. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ::::The Official Gum Bubble:::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 22:55:49 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: why you're a geek and a dork Message-ID: <19980416.225552.14414.8.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) > >I'm 5', and TMBG don't usually play at venues with layered rows, so >I,. and >most people under 5'10, wouldn't stand a chance in hell of seeing >anything. maybe you're just seeing 'em in the wrong places... no, i'm just kidding, i love sparking up the attention of the list like this... am i a psycho?! >:) >I hardly stand still throughout the show. I bounce like crazy, and >once I and >some other front row people got a great "Ana Ng" dance going. you do realize that everyone's so called "TMBG dance" which is just hopping up and down is just as annoying to some people as someone kicking you in the head cuz they're crowd surfing? >while >listening to or watching a concert bootleg is cool, it can never >compare to >being there in person don't be dissin the bootlegs! that's all we kids in the west have! :) And while I hardly consider it my >personal >show, I contend that staking out a good spot is a concert tradition >that >*does* give those who bother to get there early the right to stay >there >without *excessive* harassment. "the right" brotha... listen to what you're saying! >So that people more into dancing than paying attention to the show >will have >the best view? I fail to see the logic in that. the logic is that if YOU have a problem with it, YOU move... if the dancers have a problem with your prescence they should move. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ::::The Official Gum Bubble:::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 22:02:24 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: Anyone heard of them?... Message-ID: tmbg is the only tmbg-like band that I listen to besides the Dead Milkmen, otherwise, Guns n' Roses (the old stuff), Pink Floyd, Modest Mouse, The Violent Femmes.... peace Jon Helfgott Over What Hill? When? Where? I don't remember any hill! Somebody please tell me what's going on! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 22:04:47 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: The End of the Tour Message-ID: congratulations, the best I got to do at my graduation was persuade the principal to let my band play spy and birdhouse. Jon Helfgott They say that hard work never killed anyone, but why take the chance? ------------------------------ From: Argyle me Message-ID: <3eb39a84.3536e2d3@aol.com> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 01:04:18 EDT Subject: Re: Very Non TMBG:Bjork <> yea, she was in the Sugarcubes before striking out on her own. if I remember correctly, they, and subsequently her, were from Iceland, or somewhere in that general area of the world. : )) angle (a newbie coming out of lurk mode to answer something that she actually knows ; )) ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 00:05:47 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Dancing in the front >i'm not sayin that people dancing should push you out of the way... it >just seems that you have a major problem with people dancing, so it seems >much more likely for you to move out of the way than for them to stop >dancing (when they don't have any problem with the situation). As I have said before, and I will say again, I have no problem with someone dancing until they start running into me often and make me not enjoy the concert. >one is not better than the other, i'm just saying that whoever has a >problem with it should move... given this totally hypothetical situation >they appear not to have a problem, you do. thus, you should move. That's not very good logic. If I'm a bully and I like to beat people up, sure they are the ones who have the problem, but does that mean that the just thing to do is for them to move? No, I shouldn't be bothering them in the first place. Out of respect. They get mad if people don't get out of their way so they can dance -- so they run into people, forcing a space to be created. I guess you can still say that the displaced people are the ones that have the problem, but I hardly think that justifies the actions of the dancer. Harf, Mitch ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 00:09:23 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: NON-TMBG: why you're a geek and a dork >you do realize that everyone's so called "TMBG dance" which is just >hopping up and down is just as annoying to some people as someone kicking >you in the head cuz they're crowd surfing? How is it annoying? If I run into people, I apologize, and I try to avoid doing it. I do my best not to block the views of others. If it seems to be bothering people, then I stop. Where is the problem? >>*does* give those who bother to get there early the right to stay >>there without *excessive* harassment. > >"the right" brotha... listen to what you're saying! Are you denying this has been concert tradition since time immemorial? Like it or not, in life you are rewarded for patience and thinking ahead. It seems rude to get more gratification than someone who has spent hours waiting for a show, just because you can push them out of the way or run into them enough that they don't want to remain. >>So that people more into dancing than paying attention to the show >>will have the best view? I fail to see the logic in that. >the logic is that if YOU have a problem with it, YOU move... if the >dancers have a problem with your prescence they should move. Again, this isn't logical. The person causing the disturbance is the one who is at fault, not those who are disturbed by it. Harf, Mitch ------------------------------ From: Argyle me Message-ID: Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 01:12:15 EDT Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: the anti-swinging argument << true i wouldn't at a tmbg show since they don't like it very much >> while I was going to college, tmbg were brought to my school and one of the Johns, I don't remember which, it's been too long now, said that if the folks that were moshing didn't stop, they would. how's that for proof positive that they don't care for moshing? : ) angle (wow, my second post. it must be a full moon or something. ; )) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 00:46:40 -0500 (CDT) From: Lord John Whorfin Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Non-tmbg: Raves and techno. Message-Id: On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Hutchie wrote: > Ok, someone noticed my posting of my raving experience! > (Although they are now called "parties", and "techno"is > now also obsolete. Now the music is classified as House, > acid-house, happy house, trance, hard techno, etc...) > > Anyway, since there aren't really many ravers here, > I will speak as a representative. > Some good CDs and DJs are: > Metalheadz: Platinum Breakz- A must have! 2 CD set of Drum n Bass. > Atomic Babies > Frankie Bones > Rabbit in the Moon > DJ Hardware > Etc... > Oh yeah, and DJ Magma! (That's me!) If you like Drum n Bass I seriously recommend Roni Size and Goldie. And some other "techno" groups I would recommend are: Orbital Fatboy Slim Juno Reactor Underworld Future Sound of London These are more "commercial" groups and are probably more readily available. Chris "The Dude" Cornell "Better sleep with a sober cannibal than a drunken Christian." ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 00:00:48 -0600 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Dancing in the front Message-ID: <19980417.001411.14414.9.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) >They get mad if people don't get out of their way so they can dance -- >so >they run into people, forcing a space to be created. I guess you can >still >say that the displaced people are the ones that have the problem, but >I >hardly think that justifies the actions of the dancer. but see... i'm not talking about people that just come up and start dancing so that they can move everyone in the front out of the way... i'm talking about people that just want to dance cuz they want to have a good time. [on a side note: your point is taken and i totally agree with you] >As I have said before, and I will say again, I have no problem with >someone >dancing until they start running into me often and make me not enjoy >the >concert. so the next time you're "THEY HOPPING" or whatever you kids call it now-a-days, check and see if you're jumping next to someone that's not... and if there is someone next to you in that situation perhaps ask if you're bothering them. eh? take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ::::The Official Gum Bubble:::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 00:05:45 -0600 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: why you're a geek and a dork Message-ID: <19980417.001412.14414.10.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) >Are you denying this has been concert tradition since time immemorial? >Like >it or not, in life you are rewarded for patience and thinking ahead. >It >seems rude to get more gratification than someone who has spent hours >waiting for a show, just because you can push them out of the way or >run >into them enough that they don't want to remain. i'm saying it's common courtesy, yes. a right, no. >How is it annoying? If I run into people, I apologize, and I try to >avoid >doing it. I do my best not to block the views of others. If it seems >to be >bothering people, then I stop. > >Where is the problem? hells if i know... i'm just trying to get some action here on the list... i spose it's just like a mosher running into you. you get annoyed at being 'jostled'... people jumping into you are no different than people moshing into you. >Again, this isn't logical. The person causing the disturbance is the >one >who is at fault, not those who are disturbed by it. not if the people causing the "disturbance" aren't doing anything wrong. SKATEBOARDING IS NOT A CRIME!!! er i mean, dancing, not skateboarding... just cuz you have a problem with dancing at a concert does not by any means constitute a "disturbance." people typically dance to music. thus, it is only natural that one would dance at a concert. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ::::The Official Gum Bubble:::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 00:08:06 -0600 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: the anti-swinging argument Message-ID: <19980417.001412.14414.11.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) >while I was going to college, tmbg were brought to my school and one >of the >Johns, I don't remember which, it's been too long now, said that if >the folks >that were moshing didn't stop, they would. how's that for proof >positive that >they don't care for moshing? : ) oh geez... people misinterpretting everything i'm saying! i'm against moshing at a TMBG show just cuz i know the johns don't like it... i have respect for the band thus i respect them and their request to the audience that we not mosh. again, it's common courtesy! i'm just saying that one should be "allowed" to swing dance at a TMBG show as there really is no danger in it (until our friend Mitch starts beating the crap out of them because they invaded his personal space) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ::::The Official Gum Bubble:::: On Fri, 17 Apr 1998 01:12:15 EDT Argyle me writes: ><< true i wouldn't at a tmbg show since they don't like it very much >>> > >angle (wow, my second post. it must be a full moon or something. ; >)) > _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199804170634.CAA12686@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 01:33:12 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: why you're a geek and a dork >>How is it annoying? If I run into people, I apologize, and I try to >>avoid doing it. I do my best not to block the views of others. If it seems >>to be bothering people, then I stop. >> >>Where is the problem? > >hells if i know... i'm just trying to get some action here on the list... >i spose it's just like a mosher running into you. you get annoyed at >being 'jostled'... people jumping into you are no different than people >moshing into you. Yes, I can understand that. Hence, if someone complains, I stop. >>Again, this isn't logical. The person causing the disturbance is the >>one who is at fault, not those who are disturbed by it. > >not if the people causing the "disturbance" aren't doing anything wrong. >SKATEBOARDING IS NOT A CRIME!!! er i mean, dancing, not skateboarding... >just cuz you have a problem with dancing at a concert does not by any >means constitute a "disturbance." people typically dance to music. >thus, it is only natural that one would dance at a concert. People dance where there is less of a crowd. Typical dancing does not involve physically hurting others against their will. But most dancing, when done at the front of a concert, will result in that. Some shows, like ska, are expected to involve a lot of dancing. People who attend such shows universally know this. In the case of TMBG, even though some people expect to dance, I wouldn't say that the majority does. Mitch ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199804170634.CAA12717@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 01:34:29 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: the anti-swinging argument >show as there really is no danger in it (until our friend Mitch starts >beating the crap out of them because they invaded his personal space) I resent the implication that I would do such a thing. Go back. Read my messages. Show me where I even implied that I would hurt someone, even if they provoked me by hurting me first. Slander isn't necessary. Mitch ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980416233323.006b2770@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 23:33:23 +0000 From: Josh Morgan Subject: TMBG: Re: Non-tmbg: Raves and techno. > If you like Drum n Bass I seriously recommend Roni Size and Goldie. And > some other "techno" groups I would recommend are: > Orbital > Fatboy Slim > Juno Reactor > Underworld > Future Sound of London Future Sound of London!! BAH! I'm listening to The Future Sound of London as i read that/ type this... how coincidental! usually there's no coincidence involved when i'm listening to TMBG and reading TMBG List e-mails cuz i'm ALWAYS listening to TMBG. Other bands i occasionally mix it up with: * denotes bands i've seen in concert TOOL*, Barenaked Ladies*, Ben Folds Five, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy*, The Clash, Crash Test Dummies, The Cure, Deep Blue Something, Depche Mode, Extreme, Genesis, Gold Finger, Good Riddance*, Guns N Roses, Jars of Clay*, Live*, Man Or Astro Man?, Meat Puppets, Metallica*, Moby, Mono Puff (surprise, surprise), NOFX* (suck live :-( )Pearl Jam*, The Police, Primus, Reel Big Fish*, (they sucked live as well) Simon & Garfunkel, Soundgarden, Spin Doctors, Squirrel Nut Zippers, Temple of the Dog, TOOL* (already mentioned 'em, but they rule), U2, Vandels*, Violent Femmes, Voodoo Glow Skulls*, Ween, Weird Al* (seen him twice), anything 80's, techno and house... the really happy crap. That's enough spewing for me tonite... Josh "The Future Sound of Disfunction" Morgan P.S. - Has anyone seen the video for The Future Sound of London's "My Kingdom"? It's very cool... i saw it tonite so i popped in the cd and then checked e-mail... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <353723BA.379A@fuse.net> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 02:41:14 -0700 From: Jay Organization: The Confounded Bridge Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Dancing in the front Joda: Master of Yedi wrote: > > so the next time you're "THEY HOPPING" or whatever you kids call it > now-a-days, check and see if you're jumping next to someone that's not... > and if there is someone next to you in that situation perhaps ask if > you're bothering them. eh? > when i'm at They shows, i usually don't hop or dance, but loudly sing along with whichever john is currently doing the same--much to the chagrine of people around me (when i can be heard, that is). at the columbus show, perhaps i'll do some hopping as a social therapy. ;) love and good happiness stuff, jay ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199804170720.DAA14118@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 02:20:36 -0500 From: "angular unconformity, the naked singularity" Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg ska ska ska is dance music!!!! hey there... for the claim that all the people are skanking are ruining ska music, um... ska is dance music... that's what it's all about... a few months ago i saw the skatalites, one of the very first ska bands from jamaica in the 60's, and members of the band were skanking... it's what you do with ska music... it's fun, and what you do... it's fun to dance at concerts... not so much fun to stand around all the time and do nothing... it's fun to mosh... i respect tmbg's stand against it, and i won't mosh at tmbg shows, but i sure am going to dance and have a good time... i'm not a drunk frat guy... i dance/skank/mosh nice... i can keep from crashing into people who aren't in the pit... i've been kicked, had people dropped on my head, countless beers spilled on me, been burned by people's cigarettes, but it's fun to dance at shows anyway... people who go to shows and expect to stand and not have anyone touch them are going to the wrong place... it's crowded, and people want to have a good time, and they are going to... i sure am... rabidchild (.paulswan) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 02:11:09 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg ska ska ska is dance music!!!! Message-ID: <19980417.021114.14414.16.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) paul, i think you summed up my exact position very nicely there... congrats! :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html "FILLING UP THE LIST LIKE MIKE LEFFEL WOULD HAVE!!" _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 02:09:17 -0600 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Dancing in the front Message-ID: <19980417.021114.14414.15.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) >when i'm at They shows, i usually don't hop or dance, but loudly sing >along with whichever john is currently doing the same--much to the >chagrine of people around me (when i can be heard, that is). :::shiver::: #1 PLEASE avoid doing this anywhere near the general vicinity of a bootlegger... #2 why would you go to a show just to listen to yourself sing along? take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ::::The Official Gum Bubble:::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 02:01:43 -0600 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: the anti-swinging argument Message-ID: <19980417.021114.14414.13.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) >I resent the implication that I would do such a thing. Go back. Read >my >messages. Show me where I even implied that I would hurt someone, even >if >they provoked me by hurting me first. oh geez... it's been a long night uhm... i am extremely sorry... i thought you were the one that posted the little message about crushing people's skulls if they got close to you... the point remains however... just remove your name and put in whoever else it was that said that... again, i'm terribly sorry about confusing you with whoever it was... e-mail addresses all become a blur to me when i've been up for 3 days straight... take it easy, JOrdaN "maybe it's the hallucinogens again" _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 02:07:07 -0600 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: why you're a geek and a dork Message-ID: <19980417.021114.14414.14.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) >In the case of TMBG, even though some people >expect >to dance, I wouldn't say that the majority does. i guess you kids just wanna bop. >Yes, I can understand that. Hence, if someone complains, I stop. a courteous concert-goer, then i spose i was wrong and the world could use more people like you. > Typical dancing does not >involve physically hurting others against their will hey now... i don't much see how you can be all for moshing (i think i might be confusing you with that same guy again...) and against swing dancing at a show. i find it much more likely that someone who is moshing will end up physically harming you by purposely running into you as opposed to someone that is swingin and accidentaly runs into you cuz they need a lil more space to do what they gotta do. just a hypothetical situation here... say one of these dancing types had waited in line for 3 days just to see the show and be able to dance in the front... then what happens? take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ::::The Official Gum Bubble:::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: NitpickR Message-ID: <43063722.353717a4@aol.com> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 04:49:39 EDT Subject: TMBG: Show tonight and Mr. Willis Bands Hello 41- Show tonight was good. Crowd at Toad's was crappy. I recall it being crappy last time too. A few times during the show there were band meetings and Flans and Linnell said they were cutting songs. I found that not very cool of them, but understandable because of the crowd. At the end of the show, I got the setlist, which confirmed that they didn't cut any songs. Acutally added Turn Around. Huh. Maybe I the one I got, and the other one I saw were fake. The only change was that they played Particle Man in the middle of the set, instead of during the first encore. Long show too. Probalby two hours of music about. Go TMBG. I hope the show tomorrow is as long. Dan Hickey got most of his hair cut. He looks fairly different. Flans did too, but you can't really tell. Linnell figured out that he has voice distortion on his keyboard, and used that a few times tonight. That was really nifty. They did a distorted version of "To All The Girls I've Loved Before." I think they've done it before, but I'm not sure. Linnell did a very rough voice distorted version of Mr. Dobalina (sp?) by Del the Funky Homosapien. He made it Hal Cragi-dagin or something cool. That's all I can think of directly. Wessley Willis- Being a Chicago native, I've been aware of him for some time now. His album material is pretty cool. He is rather insane, and that's great. I really don't like his live shows. He gets on stage, really drunk, and yells a bunch of drunken obscenities that pass as songs. Not my thing I guess... Bands I like. Most of these have probably been mentioned, but oh well... TMBG, Devo, Combustible Edison, Louis Jordan, Frank Sinatra, Coctails, Young Fresh Fellows, Man...Or Astroman?, Servotron, Tony Bennett, Ween, Brian Dewan, Monopuff, Space Ghost, Soul Coughing, Cherry Poppin' Daddies, Residents, Esquivel, Laika and the Cosmonauts, Moog Cookbook, Dead Milkmen, Rollins, Ray Condo and His Richochets, Run DMC, DJ Kool, Laurie Anderson, and other things I can't think of. Adam ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19980417112333.007fe350@mail-in.keme.net> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 11:23:33 +0100 From: The Ellesleys Subject: NON-TMBG: BJORK >The rose: The vidio I saw was something along the lines of , lyrics being >- "this wasn't sposed to happen, i've fallen in love" not to mention a >catchy tune and lots of angry dolls in a dark bedroom. Yup, that's "Hit" by the sugarcubes alright. A wonderful song. THE ELLESLEYS (of Colchester-Essex-UK) Home Page: Http://www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/ TMBG page: Http://members.xoom.com/uncle_squid/Xoom/ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ "I walked from my baby's Brixton flat into a riot I thought of maybe turning back 'til things were quiet, when all the building to be be burnt had be burnt and" and all the cars to over-turn, were over-turned..." - carter the unstoppable sex machine And God created Brixton ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19980417112939.007c0a20@mail-in.keme.net> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 11:29:39 +0100 From: The Ellesleys Subject: TMBG: live Look you guys, just be grateful that you have a chance to see a TMBG live show and stop griping about how some Giant-Heads conduct themselves, everybody has different ways to enjoy themselves and let's face up to facts, moaning about it won't change anything! THE ELLESLEYS (of Colchester-Essex-UK) Home Page: Http://www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/ TMBG page: Http://members.xoom.com/uncle_squid/Xoom/ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ "I walked from my baby's Brixton flat into a riot I thought of maybe turning back 'til things were quiet, when all the building to be be burnt had be burnt and" and all the cars to over-turn, were over-turned..." - carter the unstoppable sex machine And God created Brixton ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980417081853.006a4d1c@130.127.28.14> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 08:18:53 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Dancing in the front At 02:09 AM 4/17/98 -0600, Joda: Master of Yedi wrote: > >:::shiver::: >#1 PLEASE avoid doing this anywhere near the general vicinity of a >bootlegger... ...or by me, please. :) >#2 why would you go to a show just to listen to yourself sing along? I sing along, but not _loudly_... I'm sure we all remember the Flans/fan-singing-along-to-Unsupervised incident from the recent past... TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 08:58:43 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: why you're a geek and a dork >hey now... i don't much see how you can be all for moshing (i think i >might be confusing you with that same guy again...) and against swing >dancing at a show. i find it much more likely that someone who is >moshing will end up physically harming you by purposely running into you >as opposed to someone that is swingin and accidentaly runs into you cuz >they need a lil more space to do what they gotta do. I think you must be confusing me with someone else. As far as I'm concerned, both moshing and swing dancing are bad ideas at TMBG shows, at least up front. At other shows, where they are expected, they're fine. >just a hypothetical situation here... say one of these dancing types had >waited in line for 3 days just to see the show and be able to dance in >the front... then what happens? The same that would happen if someone had waited in line 3 days just to see the show and be able to kick people in the front. Mitch ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199804171401.KAA20218@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 09:01:19 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: NON-TMBG: live At 11:29 AM 4/17/98 +0100, you wrote: >Look you guys, just be grateful that you have a chance to see a TMBG live >show and stop griping about how some Giant-Heads conduct themselves, >everybody has different ways to enjoy themselves and let's face up to >facts, moaning about it won't change anything! I agree it probably won't change the minds of other people, but many people who dance at concerts up front don't realize that they are annoying the piss out of some other concert-goers. I guess that this, more than anything, is just to make it understood that dancing does bother a non-trivial number of people. Mitch ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980417142714.1039.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Jason F." Subject: TMBG: Actual info on Pittsburgh show!!!! Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 07:27:14 PDT OK, here's the scoop for the Pittsburgh show. I FINALLY got ahold of someone who could help me after being reffered to 3 different numbers. The guy I talked to said it is on Wednesday at 7:45. He also said you need a Duquesne ID to buy tickets. He also said ID's will be checked at the door. He said it will be held "in the ballroom", whatever that means. I couldn't quite understand the ticket price he said, it sounded like some morph of $20.00 and $2.00. I would assume $20.00 is the price. Are there any Duquesne students on the list? I don't know what we'll do if they check ID's at the gate. Oh well, put up a post if anyone finds anything else out. The number that worked for me was 396-6632 if you want to call. I don't know if that's a 412 or a 724 area code, but I don't think it matters yet. --Jason-- "Hot Cha, where are you? Everybody's eyes are closed." -They Might Be Giants Lyric I don't understand for the week: "While I scatter my spit, I dream of juice." -311 ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: PLurie1982 Message-ID: <6e2691ed.3537775d@aol.com> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 11:38:04 EDT Subject: TMBG: Rejection at New Haven Show This guy next to me wrote down "Statue got me high" on a little piece of paper, cuz i guess he wanted them to play it. During the encore, Linnel was trying to decide what to play and he held up the paper. Linnel looked at it, couldnt read it cuz it was so small, picked it up and read it. he looked at the guy, then the paper again, and said no. The guy looked real sad. All in all the show was cool. -P ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 11:53:28 +0100 From: beknowles@vassar.edu (Ben Knowles) Subject: TMBG: show at Toad's Message-id: <01IVZ3UJG9IQ0079MK@VASSAR.EDU> last night's show was good. not the best i've ever seen, but good. a couple comments: how not to get Them to play a song you want to hear: okay, so i really wanted to hear Statue, because They never play it live anymore. So i wrote on a small card (just a stiff piece of paper really) "The Statue Got Me High!" i was standing against the railing directly in front of linell (whom my friend erin has dubbed "godly John") just waiting to make my move. finally, during the encores, They were trying to decide what to play next. i yelled "JOHN! I MADE YOU A CARD!" and held it out to him. he couldn't see it, so he leaned over and took it out of my hand (mmm... so close to greatness) and then wrinkled his nose and goes "NO!" and hands it back to me. dammit. i'm thinking They don't play that song any more because They don't like it. oh well, i was flat-out rejected by the one, the only, john linell. that's pretty cool. has anyone heard Them play Statue within the last 2 years or so? by the way, if your special request happens to be rhythm section or particle man, They might play those. those are the ones that They played that were'nt originally on the setlist. finally heard TMBG Got Lost - much better than i expected. other highlights: during wdtss?, after flans sings "the sun is LARGE," linell mumbles the line about a million earths fitting inside and then goes, "but that would be too fucked up!!! so they can't!!!" quite humorful, especially to an astronomy major like me. oh yes, and during equisite d.g... there was a catwalk above the stage that was covered in dust, so flans proceeded to dust it with his puppet head. oh, i should mention that there was no swinging going on in the venue. actually, where i was standing there wasn't much of anything going on. the crowd was just dull - no boinging even. i used the conga line as an excuse to move to the more rowdy part of the crowd, even though it was farther from the stage (call me a hypocrite, but i'm really tall so i felt bad about boinging and blocking the view of all those people that were just standing there). hey, i saw Them last october, and They played a song called "kumbaya" which they said was a new one. it was really good, but i haven't heard it since, and i haven't seen it mentioned. has anyone else heard this? i had one more thing to say, but i'll save it for another post. forever touching the puppet head, ben "can we just drop this whole swinging thing? i'm sorry i mentioned it" and "if you knew how incredibly non-violent i was, you'd get the humor" knowles *%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%* | | | "Every jumbled pile of person Ben Knowles - Vassar College | | has a thinking part that wonders beknowles@vassar.edu | | what the part that isn't thinking Physics - Astronomy | | isn't thinking of." - TMBG Philosophy - Metaphysics | | | *%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%* ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #5-16 *****************************