Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #5-17 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 5, Number 17 Sunday, 19 April 1998 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: show at Toad's TMBG: and another thing... Re: TMBG: show at Toad's Re: NON-TMBG: Wesley Willis, master of his universe Re: NON-TMBG: Dancing in the front Re: TMBG: Show tonight and Mr. Willis Bands Re: NON-TMBG: Dancing in the front Re: TMBG: Requesting Them... Re: NON-TMBG: Wesley Willis, master of the universe Re: TMBG: Requesting Them... Re: TMBG: Requesting Them... Re: TMBG: Requesting Them... Re: TMBG: Requesting Them... TMBG: sorry.. Re: TMBG: Requesting Them... Re: NON-TMBG: Dancing in the front Re: TMBG: non-tmbg ska ska ska is dance music!!!! Re: TMBG: Requesting Them... Re: TMBG: Requesting Them... Re: NON-TMBG: live Re: TMBG: and another thing... Re: TMBG: Requesting Them... Re: TMBG: Show tonight and Mr. Willis Bands Re: NON-TMBG: Dancing in the front Re: TMBG: show at Toad's Re: NON-TMBG: why you're a geek and a dork Re: TMBG: and another thing... Re: TMBG: Requesting Them... Re: TMBG: Requesting Them... Re: TMBG: Show tonight and Mr. Willis Bands Re: TMBG: Requesting Them... Re: TMBG: Requesting Them... Re: TMBG: show at Toad's Re: NON-TMBG: live Re: TMBG: Requesting Them... TMBG: Secret Tracks.... TMBG:various responses TMBG: uh oh... Re: TMBG: show at Toad's TMBG: Shooting in Arkansas NON-TMBG:Funny Thing TMBG: nOn-tmBg:no real subject TMBG: Ondine? Re: NON-TMBG: the anti-swinging argument Re: NON-TMBG: the pro-swinging argument Re: TMBG: Ondine? Re: TMBG: Appeal of TMBG Re: NON-TMBG:Funny Thing Re: TMBG: Secret Tracks.... Re: TMBG: uh oh... Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980417115658.006976d8@130.127.28.14> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 11:56:58 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: show at Toad's At 11:53 AM 4/17/98 +0100, Ben Knowles wrote: > >has anyone heard Them play Statue within the last 2 years or so? I'm pretty sure they haven't played it in quite a while. I can't really imagine what the song would sound like performed live without the horn section... I think it's just been retired, like "I Palindrome I" and many others. To be honest, I'd rather hear either of those songs than yet another rendition of "The Guitar"...but that's just me. ;) >by the way, if your special request happens to be rhythm section or >particle man, They might play those. those are the ones that They played >that were'nt originally on the setlist. Really, Particle Man wasn't on the set list? That might be the first time in 7 or 8 years! ;) >finally heard TMBG Got Lost - much better than i expected. other I agree...the new spiffed up version is 100% better, IMO... TTYL, -Adam, who can't dance, but jumps up and down whenever everyone else seems to be doing it. :) /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 12:13:25 +0100 From: beknowles@vassar.edu (Ben Knowles) Subject: TMBG: and another thing... Message-id: <01IVZ4K98ZS2005NAC@VASSAR.EDU> i just wanted to mention that, as i was certainly close enough to see linell's nose hairs (i mean after all, i got there early for that exact purpose), i took the liberty of counting and lemme tell ya... HE DOESN'T HAVE ANY! MUAHAHAHAHHAHAH!!! flans' shpiel about Them being cyborgs with human flesh must be true. okay, now i'm going to tell a somewhat embarassing story about my most prized tmbg keepsake. you all can have a vote as to whether this makes me cool or a freak: after Their show at brown last year, the security was virtually non-existent, so i jumped up on stage and grabbed the coffee cup out of which linell had been drinking (it was from Oceans on Thayer St. in Providence, which is a pretty cool little coffeeshop). well, there was still coffee left in it, and yes, i must admit.... i drank some of it. and so did my friends. i know, i know, unsanitary and all, but this is like the holy grail, you know? well, it was really cold, but it was like he said in that interview: he likes it black with lots of sugar. so now i have john linell's coffee cup hanging on my wall. we also took napkins and dipped them in the remaining coffee, wrote "stained with john linnel's coffee" on them with the date, and sent them to various friends who are tmbg fans. so that's my story. cool or freak? you make the call... anyone else have similar, perhaps slightly odd or freakish tmbg keepsakes? ben "i am now a mutant with six eyes and a beak because i drank out of that damned coffee cup" knowles *%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%* | | | "Every jumbled pile of person Ben Knowles - Vassar College | | has a thinking part that wonders beknowles@vassar.edu | | what the part that isn't thinking Physics - Astronomy | | isn't thinking of." - TMBG Philosophy - Metaphysics | | | *%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%* ------------------------------ From: PLurie1982 Message-ID: <33cca89b.35378841@aol.com> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 12:50:08 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: show at Toad's man, i was standing right next to you. I was right in front of the confetti cannon. Linnell said, "if you are standing directly in front of the cannon, it will be the end of you" he pointed right at me. i got totally covered in confetti. it was cool. -P ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 11:54:13 -0500 (CDT) From: "Christopher M. Stangl" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Wesley Willis, master of his universe Message-ID: On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, jim wrote: > > You're the first person encountered (outside of my strange friend who > > introduced me to his music) that has heard of, let alone enjoyed, the music > > of Wesley Willis. Right now I'm partial to Vampire Bat. > > Wesley Willis is a man that sings because it is necessary for his sanity. > His singing and listening to music makes the voices in his head go away > which is fine. What isn't cool is that corporate rock jerks tried to cash > in on one man's psychosis and signed him and released his music for the > modern rock world to either embrace, as you did, or to make the butt of a > big music joke, what the other 99.9% of the population did. It is a > really sad world which we live in where the idea to make a quick buck > comes before someone's mental illness. I myself think Wesley Willis is > very unique in what he does, but I can't support the idea of making money > off his illness. I thought I was a Wesley Willis fan. I bought a couple of albums, frightened friends and family with them. I was entertained. Wesley Willis went on tour. He came to Iowa City. About sixty people were at the show. It was one of the most depressing things I have ever seen. The crowd did roar like a lion... a cruel, scavenging lion. Wesley got down. Like a masochist. And the crowd got down like a sadist. An equal mix of local punks and frats showed up. Willis started the show with some serious equipment problems (too bad, since his only "instrument" is the Demo button of a Cassio keyboard). After frustratedly fiddling with the keyboard for awhile, his opening act, Randy Herman (and the Scepter of Benevolence. A smarmy Oingo/Giants/Billy Joel mixture and diminutive sleazy yutz who is now a personal enemy of mine) had to take the stage and try to fix the technical problems for Wesley. The show eventually began. Wesley greeted the crowd with "Rock on Iowa City! Fort DODGE IOWA! Fort DOGE! Iowa! FORT DODGE IOWA!" We were not, of course, in Fort Dodge Iowa. This was all forgotten as Willis ripped into the popular "Rock and Roll McDonalds". The crowd hooted and threw things. After the song, many cries of "You SUCK Wesley!" filled the air. Mr. Willis could only shoot back "YOU suck! Motherfucker!" "Beware the Turd Burglar" began. More beer got thrown, more insults were hurled. More people laughed at the hilarious fat, funny looking schizophrenic guy, and pointed and shouted. At this point, I'm feeling regretful. More accurately, as Beck said: "I feel like a piece 'a shit." I leave, in the middle of "Turd Burglar", happy that I purchased a CD from Willis. Not because I intended to listen to it, but because that is how the man makes his living. And rocking on, and staying out of trouble ("like a man should"), is all that he can do. The carnival doesn't have a freak-show that exploits the Human Torso, and Violet and Daisy Hilton don't have to collect paychecks from P.T. Barnum anymore. But Wesley Willis rocks on. And the crowd roars like a lion. -Chris Stangl ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3537B732.51A4@fuse.net> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 13:10:26 -0700 From: Jay Organization: The Confounded Bridge Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Dancing in the front Joda: Master of Yedi wrote: > > :::shiver::: > #1 PLEASE avoid doing this anywhere near the general vicinity of a > bootlegger... > #2 why would you go to a show just to listen to yourself sing along? > > take it easy, JOrdaN > http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html > ::::The Official Gum Bubble:::: > first of all, i could care less about the bootleggers; i don't bootleg myself or listen to bootlegs, so why should it matter? i go to concerts for the energy of seeing Them live--just knowing i'm in the same place as They, the ones who make music i enjoy, is a great thing. you don't have to dance to be able to enjoy a live concert. love and good happines stuff, jay ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 12:09:25 -0500 (CDT) From: "Christopher M. Stangl" Subject: Re: TMBG: Show tonight and Mr. Willis Bands Message-ID: On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, NitpickR wrote: > Wessley Willis- Being a Chicago native, I've been aware of him for some time > now. His album material is pretty cool. He is rather insane, and that's > great. Wesley Willis is not "rather insane". He is not acting silly to amuse you. He is not acting at all. He is a diagnosed schizophrenic. Serious mental damage was incurred when as a child, among other traumas, a cocaine dealer put a gun to his head and beat his mother. When not under medication, Willis can be a dangerous threat to himself and others. There is no irony in his lyrics. There is no joke in his music. > I really don't like his live shows. He gets on stage, really drunk, > and yells a bunch of drunken obscenities that pass as songs. Not my thing I > guess... I assure you, Wesley Willis does not get drunk to yell a bunch of obscenities. Neurological disorders will do that just fine. And his records are just as obscenity-laden as the live show. Not the major-label albums, of course, but the independent CDs are full of material like "Taste A Panda's Ass". The only way I can find to enjoy his music is in the abstract sense that it's sort of uplifting to know that performing has perhaps saved his life: it's therapeutic, and it helps him stay alive. Or as he says "It keeps the demons away. They still tell me 'Wesley, you are no good. You are a no talent motherfucker'. But I will keep it on. You cannot shoot down my suburban joy ride music. I will keep getting it on like Dr. Frankenstein." Whatever keeps the demons at bay, Wesley- don't let them shoot down your joy ride. -Chris Stangl ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980417152150.00698e80@pop.indy.net> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 15:21:50 -0400 From: rachel Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Dancing in the front >Joda: Master of Yedi wrote: >> >> :::shiver::: >> #1 PLEASE avoid doing this anywhere near the general vicinity of a >> bootlegger... >> #2 why would you go to a show just to listen to yourself sing along? >> >> take it easy, JOrdaN >> http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html >> ::::The Official Gum Bubble:::: >> > Then jay wrote: >first of all, i could care less about the bootleggers; i don't bootleg >myself or listen to bootlegs, so why should it matter? i go to concerts >for the energy of seeing Them live--just knowing i'm in the same place >as They, the ones who make music i enjoy, is a great thing. you don't >have to dance to be able to enjoy a live concert. > >love and good happines stuff, >jay > exzactly. granted, other people singing along is a tad annoying when listening to a bootleg- but it's all part of the show. having fun in the concert atmosphere should be everyone's first priority, not whether they get a good bootleg out of it. i listen to bootlegs to relive fun concert experiences but what concert would be fun if no one was singing along or dancing or hopping or whatever? people who are overly concerned with getting a good bootleg are completely missing the whole point of live shows- especially tmbg. meow, rachel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980417152354.00698f54@pop.indy.net> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 15:23:54 -0400 From: rachel Subject: Re: TMBG: Requesting Them... At 09:29 PM 4/16/98 -0600, you wrote: >Hey, all. >I just came up with an idea. >Just recentely, MTV developed a new show "Total Request" where for half >an hour, they go by the majority of requested called or emailed in. >I got to thinking (after Carson Daly (sp?) said that it changes everyday >and they go by only request) if on one planned night we all requested a >TMBG song, they would play it... >It starts at 8:30 (central), so we should pick a song and a date and do >it. > >Well, just a thought. > >Chris >chrisl@tmbg.org >"She buys a ticket 'cause it's cold where she comes from..." >-Adam F. Duritz, Counting Crows > > this is a great idea! c'mon you guys all we do is sit around and e mail eachother anway. lets do something for the good of tmbg! meow, rachel ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 16:49:25 -0400 (EDT) From: "Eric Webber (EIN tech)" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Wesley Willis, master of the universe Message-ID: The Chicken Cow is _the_ best WW song. It ends with, "Rock over London, rock home Chicago. Blockbuster Video, ooh what a difference." Take it easy, Wubba --- Eric Webber - Electronic Information Network desk- 412.622.1944 page- 412.272.1854 webbere@clpgh.org wubba@tmbg.org p-wolves@mailexcite.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3537EC81.7FFB@fuse.net> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 16:57:54 -0700 From: Jay Organization: The Confounded Bridge Subject: Re: TMBG: Requesting Them... rachel wrote: > > At 09:29 PM 4/16/98 -0600, you wrote: > >Hey, all. > >I just came up with an idea. > >Just recentely, MTV developed a new show "Total Request" where for half > >an hour, they go by the majority of requested called or emailed in. > >I got to thinking (after Carson Daly (sp?) said that it changes everyday > >and they go by only request) if on one planned night we all requested a > >TMBG song, they would play it... > >It starts at 8:30 (central), so we should pick a song and a date and do > >it. > > > >Well, just a thought. > > > >Chris > >chrisl@tmbg.org > >"She buys a ticket 'cause it's cold where she comes from..." > >-Adam F. Duritz, Counting Crows > > > > > this is a great idea! c'mon you guys all we do is sit around and e mail > eachother anway. lets do something for the good of tmbg! > meow, > rachel i agree, completely--i don't get mtv, but i think i could arrange something at somebody else's house on the day of our event. think of the coverage we'd get ... we'd help change the world. ;) love and good happiness stuff, jay ------------------------------ From: MatFoley99 Message-ID: <27c8f404.3537c2b9@aol.com> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 16:59:35 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Requesting Them... In a message dated 98-04-17 16:55:25 EDT, sirjamez@fuse.net writes: << achel wrote: > > At 09:29 PM 4/16/98 -0600, you wrote: > >Hey, all. > >I just came up with an idea. > >Just recentely, MTV developed a new show "Total Request" where for half > >an hour, they go by the majority of requested called or emailed in. > >I got to thinking (after Carson Daly (sp?) said that it changes everyday > >and they go by only request) if on one planned night we all requested a > >TMBG song, they would play it... > >It starts at 8:30 (central), so we should pick a song and a date and do > >it. > > > >Well, just a thought. > > > >Chris > >chrisl@tmbg.org > >"She buys a ticket 'cause it's cold where she comes from..." > >-Adam F. Duritz, Counting Crows > > > > > this is a great idea! c'mon you guys all we do is sit around and e mail > eachother anway. lets do something for the good of tmbg! > meow, > rachel > i agree, completely--i don't get mtv, but i think i could arrange >something at somebody else's house on the day of our event. think of > the coverage we'd get ... we'd help change the world. ;) > > love and good happiness stuff, > jay Let's do it! I'm definately in! Chris "I'll admit...I wear...men's underwear" Brannan ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980417210721.0071c338@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 16:07:21 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: Requesting Them... >> >I just came up with an idea. >> >Just recentely, MTV developed a new show "Total Request" where for half >> >an hour, they go by the majority of requested called or emailed in. >> >I got to thinking (after Carson Daly (sp?) said that it changes everyday >> >and they go by only request) if on one planned night we all requested a >> >TMBG song, they would play it... >> >It starts at 8:30 (central), so we should pick a song and a date and do >> >it. >> >Well, just a thought. >> this is a great idea! c'mon you guys all we do is sit around and e mail >> eachother anway. lets do something for the good of tmbg! >i agree, completely--i don't get mtv, but i think i could arrange >something at somebody else's house on the day of our event. think of >the coverage we'd get ... we'd help change the world. ;) > Why only stick to once. Why don't we just request a different song every time this show airs, and just start repeating after that, until they either start playing Them at regualar times, or they cancel the request show!!! [L][D][B] -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ From: BrthrJuan Message-ID: Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 17:10:42 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Requesting Them... I vote for the video for Don't Let's Start (only because it seems to be one of my favorite songs) aaron ------------------------------ From: BrthrJuan Message-ID: <844df0e5.3537c5eb@aol.com> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 17:13:13 EDT Subject: TMBG: sorry.. what i meant to say was i think that we should request the video for don't let's start. what do you all think? tell me when to call and i am in aaron ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3537F129.3B31@fuse.net> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 17:17:46 -0700 From: Jay Organization: The Confounded Bridge Subject: Re: TMBG: Requesting Them... BrthrJuan wrote: > > I vote for the video for Don't Let's Start (only because it seems to be one of > my favorite songs) > > aaron actually--why not just request whatever they have on hand? from what i understand their repertoire of some groups is less than that of others, and i'd hate for us all to request a song that they don't have. i'd be grateful for anything, really. :) love and good happiness stuff, jay ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 16:46:08 -0400 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Dancing in the front Message-ID: <19980417.170926.6790.0.gray42@juno.com> > >:::shiver::: >#1 PLEASE avoid doing this anywhere near the general vicinity of a >bootlegger... >#2 why would you go to a show just to listen to yourself sing along? Oooh Oooh, I can answer this one! I also sing, along with a great # of other people I don't even know at the concerts I go to. They Might Be Giants is the ultimate sing along group, they sing so clearly that you only need the lyric sheets for confirmation. And they seem to love audience participation, I remember a couple songs where they spicifically asked us to sing along. Anyway, a whole crowd of people singing a They Might Be Giants song would sound pretty neat (maybe that's why I enjoyed The planet of the apes thing so much, man o' man I'd like a copy of that). Anyway, I've never bootlegged yet so I haven't yet experienced the frustration of audiences. Mysterio Gal " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 gray42@juno.com _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 17:26:07 -0400 From: Trippy Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg ska ska ska is dance music!!!! i haven't posted (or even been reading the list) for ages but as long as ska is being mentioned i think i'll join in... certain types of music are designed for dancing, for example ska... you don't just go to a ska show and rock back and forth on your heels, you skank >a few months ago i saw the skatalites, one of the very first ska bands from >jamaica in the 60's, and members of the band were skanking... it's what >you do with ska music... it's fun, and what you do... amen to that, the skatalites an are amazing band, actually i was in jamaica about a month ago and i saw a couple of great jamaican ska shows, and everyone was dancing you can be sure of that trippy ------------------------------ From: Kaylum Message-ID: <2aeadfbd.3537c82f@aol.com> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 17:22:53 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Requesting Them... In a message dated 98-04-17 17:16:23 EDT, you write: << actually--why not just request whatever they have on hand? from what i understand their repertoire of some groups is less than that of others, and i'd hate for us all to request a song that they don't have. i'd be grateful for anything, really. :) >> I agree. I think we should go with "Birdhouse." It's a little rarer than "DLS" (since it was never released on an official compilation, but the song was pretty popular, so there's a pretty good chance they might still have the video handy. Plus it's an *awesome* video, and I'd love to get a first generation copy :) Kay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3537F467.120F@fuse.net> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 17:31:35 -0700 From: Jay Organization: The Confounded Bridge Subject: Re: TMBG: Requesting Them... > I agree. I think we should go with "Birdhouse." It's a little rarer than > "DLS" (since it was never released on an official compilation, but the song > was pretty popular, so there's a pretty good chance they might still have the > video handy. Plus it's an *awesome* video, and I'd love to get a first > generation copy :) > > Kay actually, i saw the birdhouse video a few months ago when i still had the mtv spinoff channel called "m2." they showed it about three or four times within a few weeks, but afterwards nil. so they've got it. ;) love and good happiness stuff, jay ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 17:37:49 -0400 From: Trippy Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: live At 10:01 AM -0400 4/17/98, Mitchell Harding wrote: >I agree it probably won't change the minds of other people, but many people >who dance at concerts up front don't realize that they are annoying the >piss out of some other concert-goers. I guess that this, more than >anything, is just to make it understood that dancing does bother a >non-trivial number of people. the whole damn point of going to a live show is to go out a do something, you go out to have a good time and that for many people that includes dancing and getting rowdy, what do you want? do you want everyone to just stand there motionless, if i wanted to sit quiet and still i would go to a classical music performance, i just don't understand how you can complain about people singing or dancing at a live concert, two words do spring to mind - wet blanket TripPy ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 17:30:44 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: and another thing... Message-ID: <19980417.175229.3206.4.gray42@juno.com> I'd have to say a cool freak, I'd absolutely love to have John L's coffee cup, but I wouldn't have the guts to go up and get it. Mysterio Gal " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 gray42@juno.com _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 17:40:39 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Requesting Them... Message-ID: <19980417.175230.3206.5.gray42@juno.com> On Fri, 17 Apr 1998 16:07:21 -0500 "The Li'l Depressed Boy" writes: >>> >I just came up with an idea. >>> >Just recentely, MTV developed a new show "Total Request" where for >half >>> >an hour, they go by the majority of requested called or emailed >in. >>> >I got to thinking (after Carson Daly (sp?) said that it changes >everyday >>> >and they go by only request) if on one planned night we all >requested a >>> >TMBG song, they would play it... >>> >It starts at 8:30 (central), so we should pick a song and a date >and do >>> >it. >>> >Well, just a thought. >>> this is a great idea! c'mon you guys all we do is sit around and e >mail >>> eachother anway. lets do something for the good of tmbg! >>i agree, completely--i don't get mtv, but i think i could arrange >>something at somebody else's house on the day of our event. think of >>the coverage we'd get ... we'd help change the world. ;) >> >Why only stick to once. Why don't we just request a different song >every >time this show airs, and just start repeating after that, until they >either >start playing Them at regualar times, or they cancel the request >show!!! > >[L][D][B] >-- >(this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) >My Web Page Index: >http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ >TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font >-- >Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and >Kris W. >M. Struble. >The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related >characters (C) >& TM 1998 S. Steven Struble > > BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA 8 ^ D Don't stop there, call in so much that all they can play are They vidios (gettin' crazy here). Ha Ha, Today MTV, tomorrow the World. Our own TMBG conspiracy (starts frothing at mouth) whew! gettin too excited here, Well it is Friday night :) Mysterio Gal (w/ her own special way of showing she supports the idea) " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 gray42@juno.com _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3537E139.9566FE65@megahits.com> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 19:09:45 -0400 From: Lee Steel Organization: LSDesign Subject: Re: TMBG: Show tonight and Mr. Willis Bands Adam (NitpickR).............I thought I saw you last night. You didn't say hi. Rob and Amanda.............I looked for you but couldn't find you. Katie ...............................It was great seeing you again, please send e-mail. The show was very good although Lincoln is in a depressed state without their regular guitar player. They did slower (more folky) versions of all the songs. John Linell is now using a VOCODER attached to his keyboard which allows him to control the pitch of the keyboard through a special microphone which utilizes the chords he is playing. Laurie Anderson is the only other performer I have seen that has used this effect, most notibly on Oh Superman. We were standing directly in front of John F. and were responsible for the request to play Particle Man early. They had considered playing Rythm Section Want Add but our request was received by the Johns. Other odd additions included renditions of "Hey There Georgie Girl" , "To All The Girls I've Loved Before", and "Emotional Rescue"...very curious. I got the light man's set list and if anyone would like a copy it is posted on my web site at: www.megahits.com/lees -Mr.Lee (the real guy!) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 16:13:04 -0600 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Dancing in the front Message-ID: <19980417.161506.3582.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) > people who are overly concerned with >getting a good bootleg are completely missing the whole point of live >shows- especially tmbg. which is why i don't bootleg shows... only collect 'em :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ::::The Official Gum Bubble:::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 16:10:26 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: show at Toad's Message-ID: <19980417.161506.3582.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) >hey, i saw Them last october, and They played a song called "kumbaya" >which >they said was a new one. it was really good, but i haven't heard it >since, >and i haven't seen it mentioned. has anyone else heard this? i promissed myself i wouldn't laugh... pop culture for $100 please alex. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ::::The Official Gum Bubble:::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 16:07:32 -0600 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: why you're a geek and a dork Message-ID: <19980417.161506.3582.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) >>just a hypothetical situation here... say one of these dancing types >had >>waited in line for 3 days just to see the show and be able to dance >in >>the front... then what happens? > >The same that would happen if someone had waited in line 3 days just >to see >the show and be able to kick people in the front. what i meant was what if these people that had waited in line for three days just to dance etc. were there standing right next to you. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ::::The Official Gum Bubble:::: On Fri, 17 Apr 1998 08:58:43 -0500 Mitchell Harding writes: >>hey now... i don't much see how you can be all for moshing (i think i >>might be confusing you with that same guy again...) and against swing >>dancing at a show. i find it much more likely that someone who is >>moshing will end up physically harming you by purposely running into >you >>as opposed to someone that is swingin and accidentaly runs into you >cuz >>they need a lil more space to do what they gotta do. > >I think you must be confusing me with someone else. As far as I'm >concerned, both moshing and swing dancing are bad ideas at TMBG shows, >at >least up front. At other shows, where they are expected, they're fine. > > >Mitch > > > _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 16:22:07 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: and another thing... Message-ID: <19980417.162213.3582.3.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) >I'd have to say a cool freak, I'd absolutely love to have John L's >coffee cup, but I wouldn't have the guts to go up and get it. hmm... reminds of a night... long, long ago. It was january 2nd, 1997 i was at the ogden theater in denver, CO at an awesome TMBG show. When it ended, my friend and i snuck into the alley and waited on the side of the building (please note that i have met anywhere from rivers cuomo (weezer) and edwyn collins to the members of bloodhound gang and nerf herder to the mighty mighty bosstones and the aquabats in this exact alley.) anyways, there's a door that opens to backstage from this alley which just happened to be left slightly open... my friend and i just walked in... went upstairs (to find that the johns had already left) but anyways, we took a lot of their pizza and beer. i didn't save the bottles or the pizza box or anything... but i must say that it was extremely cool backstage :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ::::The Official Gum Bubble:::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980417223254.29863.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Jason F." Subject: Re: TMBG: Requesting Them... Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 15:32:54 PDT As far as Total Request goes, not only is there a 1-800 number but I also think there is an e-mail address you can send your votes too. We can double our efforts with a phone call and and e-mail each! Also...any Pittsburgh people catch my last post about the concert info? --Jason-- "Hot Cha, where are you? Everybody's eyes are closed." -They Might Be Giants Lyric I don't understand for the week:"While I scatter my spit, I dream of juice." -311 ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980417154354.006af368@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 15:43:54 +0000 From: Josh Morgan Subject: Re: TMBG: Requesting Them... ><< actually--why not just request whatever they have on hand? from what i > understand their repertoire of some groups is less than that of others, > and i'd hate for us all to request a song that they don't have. i'd be > grateful for anything, really. :) >> > >I agree. I think we should go with "Birdhouse." It's a little rarer than >"DLS" (since it was never released on an official compilation, but the song >was pretty popular, so there's a pretty good chance they might still have the >video handy. Plus it's an *awesome* video, and I'd love to get a first >generation copy :) > >Kay I whole-heartedly agree with the vote for "Birdhouse". It's kick-ass song (one of my favs) that gets (or got) radio play so it's at least sort of popular and MTV definitely has the video. Josh "Leader of the lesser-known Fargo-nuts" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3537F16B.995460B0@megahits.com> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 20:18:51 -0400 From: Lee Steel Organization: LSDesign Subject: Re: TMBG: Show tonight and Mr. Willis Bands Zilch By David Jones, Micky Dolenz, Michael Nesmith and Peter Tork 1st Part Zilch! Mister Dobalena, Mister Bob Dobalena Mister Dobalena, Mister Bob Dobalena Mister Dobalena, Mister Bob Dobalena Mister Dobalena, Mister Bob Dobalena 2nd Part Zilch! China Clipper calling Alameda China Clipper calling Alameda China Clipper calling Alameda China Clipper calling Alameda 3rd Part Zilch! Never mind the furthermore, the plea is self defense. Never mind the furthermore, the plea is self defense. Never mind the furthermore, the plea is self defense. Never mind the furthermore, the plea is self defense. 4th Part Zilch! It is of my opinion that the people are intending. It is of my opinion that the people are intending. It is of my opinion that the people are intending. It is of my opinion that the people are intending. ------------------------------ From: EmmyMik Message-ID: <89ede86c.3537e875@aol.com> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 19:40:36 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Requesting Them... In a message dated 98-04-17 18:47:03 EDT, you write: << I whole-heartedly agree with the vote for "Birdhouse". It's kick-ass song (one of my favs) that gets (or got) radio play so it's at least sort of popular and MTV definitely has the video. >> Same here. Oh, I'm new to this list. My name is Emily. I probably won't post much, so I'll mostly be lurking around... ------------------------------ From: Dr Worm X Message-ID: <9140ff74.3537e967@aol.com> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 19:44:38 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Requesting Them... I'm sure MTV could dig up the video's from the old 120 minutes days... Matt Turn around, turn around, it's a human skull on the ground Simpsons quote of the post: Marge, can you set the oven to cold?- HJS http://members.aol.com/DrWormX (check out my sideshow) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <4pBz1Dm00bkJ0OZG80@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 20:14:07 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: show at Toad's Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 17-Apr-98 TMBG: show at Toad's by Ben Knowles@vassar.edu > has anyone heard Them play Statue within the last 2 years or so? the last time they ever played it was in August, 1996. they no longer have a horn section, so it would be kind of difficult... also, I don't think they've taught it to the new band members... Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Everything sticks until it goes away, * This space inadvertently And the truth is we don't know anything." -TMBG * left blank. ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 20:37:15 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: live Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 17-Apr-98 Re: NON-TMBG: live by Trippy@cornell.edu > classical music performance, i just don't understand how you can complain > about people singing or dancing at a live concert, two words do spring to because frankly, most people can't carry a tune. and I'm still at the show to hear the Johns, and not the audience. Granted, the Johns are going to be overpoweringly loud (unless the sound system sucks like at the 9:30 club) so usually people singing won't be heard. I have a rather large collection of bootlegs, and most of the time, you can either hear none of the audience or all of the audience (like Shoehorn with Teeth from Cleveland, 10/23/97). most people who tape shows are close enough to the front that either a) they get blasted by the speakers, so no one other than the band comes through, or b) they're close to a monitor, so they get an extra boost from that... The time it becomes annoying is when someone is singing right in your ear. Fortunately, this doesn't happen much, but it's annoying when someone is singing in your ear a semitone and a half below the Johns... the bottom line is be considerate to other concert goers. Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Everything sticks until it goes away, * This space inadvertently And the truth is we don't know anything." -TMBG * left blank. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980417203748.006959e8@pop.indy.net> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 20:37:48 -0400 From: rachel Subject: Re: TMBG: Requesting Them... At 03:32 PM 4/17/98 PDT, Jason wrote: >As far as Total Request goes, not only is there a 1-800 number but I >also think there is an e-mail address you can send your votes too. We >can double our efforts with a phone call and and e-mail each! > yeah! ok, the e-mail addy is total@mtvmail.com and are we all aggreed to request birdhouse? now all we have to decide is when, we'll definetly be more effective if all vote at the same time. meow and lovies, rachel ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot Message-ID: <301e7066.35380b60@aol.com> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 22:09:33 EDT Subject: TMBG: Secret Tracks.... Well, this was a rumor I heard a LONG time ago before I was on the list: If you put the Pink Album upside down in a CD player, they'll be a hidden track. I have never tried this because I have the Pink Album on tape (as well as all the other albums except F.S. & Then). Also, I was pondering the possibilty of this. Is the back of the CD made out of the same material as the front? Could not digital stuff be recorded on the very inside to make room for a hidden track? Would it hurt the CD to put it in upsidedown? Ok, if any knows the answer, & don't ruin your CDs to try & find out the answer, please tell me, it's just my curiosity... jason "hidden middle name" glastetter ------------------------------ From: "Doug Ray" Subject: TMBG:various responses Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 22:28:47 -0400 Message-ID: <01bd6a71$b77097a0$864306d1@default> THere are a lot of people in my school who have heard of TMBG, but most of them don't really think much @ alll baout the band. TO ED WILD: I (an American) have never encountered the problems which you have described. Evan ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 22:32:18 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: TMBG: uh oh... something odd I just noticed... I was looking at TDK's pictures from the 4/15 show and noticed that Linnell was using the accordion he'd used in December, 1996 after his nice one got stolen. Does anyone know what prompted this change? I can't imagine that he'd choose to use an accordion with missing keys over a nice one that's only a year old... Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Everything sticks until it goes away, * This space inadvertently And the truth is we don't know anything." -TMBG * left blank. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 22:43:31 +0100 From: beknowles@vassar.edu (Ben Knowles) Subject: Re: TMBG: show at Toad's Message-id: <01IVZQKGE1UQ006TCL@VASSAR.EDU> >i promissed myself i wouldn't laugh... pop culture for $100 please alex. > i'm not an idiot. it was called kumbaya, and the chorus was vaguely the same as kumbaya, but the verses were different. it was definately a tmbg song. sheesh, gimme some credit here. ben ------------------------------ From: "Doug Ray" Subject: TMBG: Shooting in Arkansas Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 22:41:08 -0400 Message-ID: <01bd6a73$710b6f40$864306d1@default> Hi, everyone. I got this from another mailing list... -Evan -----Original Message----- From: Beth To: Recipient list suppressed Date: Thursday, April 16, 1998 4:28 AM Subject: In Memory of ... >In Memory of........ > >Natalie Brooks, student age 12 >Paige Ann Herring, student age 12 >Stephanie Johnson, student age 12 >Brittany R. Varner, student age 11 >Shannon Wright, Teacher age 32 >Unborn Child > >This is in memory of the children, teacher and the unborn child killed in the >shooting on Tuesday, March 24, 1998 in Jonesbro, Arkansas. Please send >this to everyone you know. If this gets to the town of Jonesbro, im sure they >will be gratefull to know that we all care. By sending this letter you are >also signing a petition to stop kids from handling guns and putting their >selves and others in this situation. 11 and 13 year olds should not have >to be behind bars......they should be playing on them. If you have children and >guns please lock the guns up in a safe. > > > >...... Thank you Lena for the memorial. > > >Beth Mahoney >Founder/Coordinator >Cyberdolls Online >Cyberdolls@geocities.com >http://www.geocities.com/Wellesley/2444 ------------------------------ From: "Doug Ray" Subject: NON-TMBG:Funny Thing Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 22:46:37 -0400 Message-ID: <01bd6a74$35466b80$864306d1@default> I thought this was pretty funny... Evan -----Original Message----- From: David Glaser [mailto:glaser@ma.ultranet.com] Sent: Thursday, April 09, 1998 10:16 PM To: glaser@ma.ultranet.com Subject: Fwd: You will like this (fwd) >THERMODYNAMICS OF HELL > > This is a true story. A thermodynamics professor had written a > take home exam for his graduate students. It had one question: > > Is hell exothermic or endothermic? Support your answer with a > proof. > > Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's > Law or some variant. One student, however wrote the following: > > First, we postulate that if souls exist, then they must have some > mass. If they do, then a mole of souls can also have a mass. So, at > what rate are souls moving in hell and at what rate are souls leaving? > > I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to hell, > it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving. > > As for souls entering hell, lets look at the different religions > that exist in the world today. Some of these religions state that if > you are not a member of their religion, you will go to hell. Since, > there are more than one of these religions and people do not belong to > more than one religion, we can project that all people and all souls > go to hell. > > With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number > of souls in hell to increase exponentially. > > Now, we look at the rate of change in volume in hell. Boyle's > Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in hell to > stay the same, the ratio of the mass of souls and volume needs to stay > constant. > > So, if hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which > souls enter hell, then the temperature and pressure in hell will > increase until all hell breaks loose. > > Of course, if hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase > of souls in hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until > hell freezes over. > > The student got an A on the exam. > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 22:50:32 -0400 (EDT) From: JOHN A CULBERTSON Subject: TMBG: nOn-tmBg:no real subject Message-ID: well, gosh, everyone else in the entire tmbg universe has listed theirs, so i might as well list mine: music: soul coughing (duh), mon puff (duh), daft punk, the cars, billy idol, orbital, the orb, mazzy star, drugstore, weezer, pet shop boys (some), esquivel, man or astroman, portishead, and just about any golden oldies. books: DID SOMEONE SAY THE LIKED THE CHURCH OF THE SUBGENIUS!!!! WOW!!! I loved it. In that vein, i've also read the principia discordia, and the two of those got me started on robert anton wilson, who kicks more butt than any other writer i've ever read. i also read asimov, douglas coupland, neal stephenson, some tom robbins, lots of comics, and i am currently trying to sort my way through an r. buckminster fuller book. man, is that guy hard to read. if anyone likes those authors, feel free to e-mail me: i love to chat about books. i am an avid reader (if i do say so myself (which i do (so there))). occult/conspiracy/mind expansion books are my current big thing, but i'm also moving into hard science. and.... here's a nifty little concert experience for me. i was at a concert, i forget who, but it might have been the pietasters (good concert by the way). anyways, i was right behind the front row, and, because it was a ska show at a frat-frequented bar, the ska pit was also a moshing free-for-all. so this girl in front of me was really obnoxious. when i am in the not quite front row, i usually reach one arm around the person in front of me so that i can have something to brace with. that way i keep from falling over, and, as a service to the nice person who is in front of me, i usually try to shield them from the continual concert surges as well. so this girl in front of me, halfway through the show, suddenly decides to start slamming her elbow down on my hand. why? i don't know. i think she thought that i was trying to edge her out of the way. the thing that puzzles me is why she decided it halfway through the show. i let her keeping smacking my hand for a couple of minutes, then withdrew it. at the next surge (you people know what i'm talking about, right? the continual back and forth of the audience?) i turned my elbow around, pushed off the surge and got her right in the middle of the back. then i put my hand back on the front rail, with her in front of me. she didn't slam her elbow on my hand anymore. let all who read this learn. john "john john john johnny john the john john johnny john" culbertson. so there. ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 17 Apr 98 23:05 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: TMBG: Ondine? My friend Cory-Ellen mentioned playing Ondine in a play the other day. When I sang the TMBG song to her, this is what she said: Ondine is the main character in a play of the same name by Jean Giraudoux. It's based on tales of Undines (water spirits), very beautiful, and very, very funny. Not seeing much of a TMBG connection, but I thought it was interesting. Kirs -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "You think you're so funny, but looks aren't everything." - Lincoln "Wish You Were Dead" Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow ------------------------------ From: MrryGoByBy Message-ID: Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 23:15:12 EDT Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: the anti-swinging argument Hello..I didn't mention before, but I too am new to the list. My name is Jim, I'm a Junior at the Tyler School of art, (which doesnt relate to anything) and I definitely have to side with those saying that dancing should be kept in the rear. Call me selfish, but I tend to get totally wrapped up with what's happening on stage to even move. My taste in music ranges from Pantera to TMBG, and I can definitely say that there is a time and place for everything. I don't mind moshing so much at a metal show, because in most cases, you don't really want to look at the musicians (I mean, I'm a semi headbanger, and I'll admit that Metal's full of ugly people). I consider a show like TMBG sort of like a Floyd show or even a classical concert, where the musicians are entertaining enough. As far as moshing goes, I have no real problem with it, but I no longer do it. I've had enough sneaker soles grind against my head, and fat biker women land on my back to make me not care for the front of the stage at a metal show that's my 2 cents Music I like: Faith No More, Mr Bungle, TMBG, Frank Zappa, Naked City, PainKiller(anything John Zorn), Pantera, Pink Floyd, The Who, Gwar, Tom Petty, Megadeth, David Bowie, Warren Zevon, ...and the list goes on.... Authors: Anthony Burgess, Douglas Adams, William S Burroughs, HP Lovecraft ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35381B01.CB7B67AC@earthlink.net> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 22:16:18 -0500 From: DonkeyPlop Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: the pro-swinging argument I know this has nothing to do witht the discussion, but if any of the people on the list live in chicago and like swing, could you maybe tell me where i can buy a zoot suit. Thank you MrryGoByBy wrote: > Hello..I didn't mention before, but I too am new to the list. My name is Jim, > I'm a Junior at the Tyler School of art, (which doesnt relate to anything) and > I definitely have to side with those saying that dancing should be kept in the > rear. Call me selfish, but I tend to get totally wrapped up with what's > happening on stage to even move. My taste in music ranges from Pantera to > TMBG, and I can definitely say that there is a time and place for everything. > I don't mind moshing so much at a metal show, because in most cases, you don't > really want to look at the musicians (I mean, I'm a semi headbanger, and I'll > admit that Metal's full of ugly people). I consider a show like TMBG sort of > like a Floyd show or even a classical concert, where the musicians are > entertaining enough. As far as moshing goes, I have no real problem with it, > but I no longer do it. I've had enough sneaker soles grind against my head, > and fat biker women land on my back to make me not care for the front of the > stage at a metal show > that's my 2 cents > > Music I like: > Faith No More, Mr Bungle, TMBG, Frank Zappa, Naked City, PainKiller(anything > John Zorn), Pantera, Pink Floyd, The Who, Gwar, Tom Petty, Megadeth, David > Bowie, Warren Zevon, ...and the list goes on.... > > Authors: > Anthony Burgess, Douglas Adams, William S Burroughs, HP Lovecraft ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35384F36.9D46C192@geocities.com> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 23:59:05 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: Ondine? Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: > My friend Cory-Ellen mentioned playing Ondine in a play the other day. > When I sang the TMBG song to her, this is what she said: > > Ondine is the main character in a play of the same name by Jean Giraudoux. > It's based on tales of Undines (water spirits), very beautiful, and very, > very funny. > > > Not seeing much of a TMBG connection, but I thought it was interesting. I can't really see any TMBG connection either, although it's possible that John had heard of the play, and named the song after it. Also, I seem to recall hearing of a play with a water sprite named Lurline (a name which L. Frank Baum later used for the Queen of the Fairies). Could it be the same play, or somehow related? -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org or vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980418041309.3202.rocketmail@web2.rocketmail.com> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 21:13:09 -0700 (PDT) From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: TMBG: Appeal of TMBG ---gray42@juno.com wrote: > > Some say they're too happy, or not serious enough, or just didn't give > em' a good enough try, well nobody's the same eh' These people have obviously never heard _Lincoln_. Maybe this is just due to my own neurosis, but I find _Lincoln_ to be a very dark album overall. However, most of these ppl probably only know _Flood_, which is pretty cheery for the most part. Sigh. Danielle === URL: http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/1054/index.html "Well, we *could* just say that Americans are stupid, but that would be mean." --John Linnell _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35385546.AB0@fuse.net> Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 00:24:54 -0700 From: Jay Organization: The Confounded Bridge Subject: Re: NON-TMBG:Funny Thing Doug Ray wrote: > > I thought this was pretty funny... > > Evan > non tmbg :P jay ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980418002237.006a42d8@130.127.28.14> Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 00:22:37 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Secret Tracks.... At 10:09 PM 4/17/98 EDT, Happyfroot wrote: >Well, this was a rumor I heard a LONG time ago before I was on the list: No, someone's just pulling your leg. :) -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 23:55:27 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: uh oh... Message-ID: <19980418.001537.3182.0.gray42@juno.com> On Fri, 17 Apr 1998 22:32:18 -0400 (EDT) Lawrence P Solomon writes: >something odd I just noticed... I was looking at TDK's pictures from >the >4/15 show and noticed that Linnell was using the accordion he'd used >in >December, 1996 after his nice one got stolen. > whoa weird, I just got back from that site myself, but I didn't pick up that accordian thing tho'. First time visit, that site is incredible, It'll take a few visits ta look at it all. (congrats Mike) Mysterio Gal (a girl who likes to point out meaningless coincidences) " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 gray42@juno.com _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #5-17 *****************************