Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #5-19 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 5, Number 19 Tuesday, 21 April 1998 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Whole bunch of stuff... TMBG: Linnell dominance? TMBG: Help me please! Re: TMBG: "That Dance"/Other Music Re: TMBG: Linnell dominance? TMBG: Re: TMBAction Figures Re: TMBG: nOn-tmBg:no real subject Re: TMBG: johns in the movies (again!) TMBG: Looking for a couple tapes / early tree plotting TMBG:MTV Request NON TMBG: The list is alive... Re: TMBG: Linnell dominance? Re: NONTMBG: Big Bad Voodoo Daddy... TMBG: Accurate info on pittsburgh show Re: TMBG: Linnell dominance? TMBG: Linnell dominance TMBG: UK A18 Re: TMBG: Linnell dominance?/ movies Re: TMBG: Help me please! TMBG: The School Music Thing TMBG: Re: Buffalo Re: TMBG: Help me please! Re: TMBG: Help me please! Re: TMBG: Linnell dominance? Re: TMBG: Linnell dominance? Re: TMBG: Linnell dominance? Re: TMBG: johns in the movies (again!) Re: TMBG: Help me please! Re: TMBG: The School Music Thing Re: TMBG: Linnell dominance? Re: TMBG: Linnell dominance? Re: TMBG: Linnell dominance? TMBG: Linnelianism/Flasburghic Re: TMBG: johns in the movies (again!) Re: TMBG: Linnell dominance?+3 other threads NON TMBG: HELP Ach!! NON-TMBG: man or astroman Re: TMBG: Linnell dominance?+3 other threads TMBG: Everybody loves Linnell. Re: TMBG: Help me please! TMBG: TMBAction Figures Re: Non-TMBG: IRC remote script TMBG: John Linnell, Accordion Player and Arthouse Sex God Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <000e01bd6c11$30cc9680$08c4f6ce@idiotnot.visi.net> From: "S. Bergeron" Subject: Re: TMBG: Whole bunch of stuff... Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 00:02:44 -0400 :Crowd ethics: I don't have a problem with moshing and crowd surfing... when :it's in the right environment. TMBG doesn't like moshing or crowd surfing at :their shows, and I support their decision. Dancing and bopping up and down is :no problem. But when you cause other people to have a bad time, which seems :to happen, it's not appropriate. Agreed. As Frank Black said, "Mosh, don't pass the guy." Dancing is okay, except when you're alone. At the Norfuck concert in September, there was a guy in the beer section (which I was not a member of, because my girlfriend is underage), who was in the back, drunk out of his mind, and dancing alone. It was very weird, indeed. He also looked suspiciously like Richard Simmons. Go figure. :Request- I refuse to take part in requesting any song from Flood, Don't Let's :Start or Ana Ng, because if a song is to get on MTV during normal hours, it :should be one more people don't know about or haven't seen. That's a bit narrow. I was very pleased when they played Don't Let's Start, and actually happy when Linnell broke into Particle Man. I will admit that I liked the "I am not your broom" inside the "Spy" improv better, and nearly messed my pants when they played "Doctor Worm" (This was like two weeks after the quicktime came out). Still, just because it's more mainstream, doesn't mean it's not good. I personally would much rather hear "Ana Ng" than say, "Narrow Your Eyes," or "XTC Versus Adam Ant." Jack Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net bluedawg@tmbg.org http://www.monopuff.org/~bluedawg "Rene Descartes was a drunken fart, 'I drink, therefore I am.'"--Eric Idle ICQ#5909618 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199804200438.AAA15542@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 23:39:02 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: TMBG: Linnell dominance? >Is it just me, or does this list seem a bit more fixated on Linnell than >Flans? If this is the case, why? While he is cuter than Steve Buscemi, that >isn't much of an accomplishment. It is true, and is because a great number of people like Linnell more than Flansburgh. Then there are those who like them equally. But certainly in the minority are those who prefer Flansburgh. Myself, I fall into the "like them equally" camp, but Linnell does seem to be the popular choice. Harf, Mitch ------------------------------ Message-ID: <353B327C.90E5D31E@pacificnet.net> Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 03:33:23 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Help me please! Hi, I would GREATLY appreciate your help with a coupla things... 1) I'm a bit out of touch with things but is it true the two Linnell solo CD's and the MonoPuff EP's can now be ordered individually without buying several years worth of Hello? I went to the MERCHANDISE section of tmbg.com but I think its no so up-to date. (They proudly announce: "We are now taking orders for the March 25th release of Then: The Earlier Years two disc set!") I don't have a catalog and God only know how long it would take to get one through the mail. So could someone either send me a scan of the related section from the catalog OR send me a xerox of it OR just e-mail me the info on the prices, S+H address, etc., etc. If you do that for me, you may one day be repaid, some way, somehow. (But don't do it for that reason, do it because so you're nice!) ...ALSO... 2) Is there any tour info beyond the "5/3/98 Ithaca, NY Cornell College" show info listed on the web site? I am patiently waiting for a west coast show... its been almost two years now! By the time they get here again, they will be completely burnt-out from entertaining you east coast people non-stop for the last year and a half. -B O N G O _____________________________________________ "Wouldn't it be great if Tinkerbell tinked everybody on the head with the kitchen sink?" -Geggy Tah ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 08:57:19 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: "That Dance"/Other Music Message-ID: <19980420.091809.11078.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) >My 12-year-old sister says that Linnell looks like Steve Buscemi >(_Fargo_, >_Con Air_). I guess he does in some pictures. It could work. if you've seen billy madison you're ideas regarding this may change... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ::::The Official Gum Bubble:::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 09:17:49 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell dominance? Message-ID: <19980420.091809.11078.3.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) >It is true, and is because a great number of people like Linnell more >than >Flansburgh. Then there are those who like them equally. But certainly >in >the minority are those who prefer Flansburgh. well... perhaps i'm just looking for an excuse but if you think about it... it's only been linnell songs that have gotten "popular" (i'm talking particle man and birdhouse) i dunno... i personally think flansburgh is the nicer of the two to fans... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ::::The Official Gum Bubble:::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 09:09:01 -0600 Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBAction Figures Message-ID: <19980420.091809.11078.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) >then there's the drummer pack: > >brian doherty with wind-up fussion solo action >dan hickey with glockenspiel and replaceable long or short hair does anyone else out there think of brian as more of the glockenspiel player than dan? i dunno... i guess it's just that he'd play wdtss and well, dan plays teh three happy notes in shoehorn :) yeah and what about JD feinberg? >randy amos with sonic blast trombone >jim o'conner with trumpet harpoon gun randy andos? what about dan levine and kurt hoffman? :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ::::The Official Gum Bubble:::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 10:55:52 -0500 (CDT) From: "Christopher M. Stangl" Subject: Re: TMBG: nOn-tmBg:no real subject Message-ID: On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, JOHN A CULBERTSON wrote: > books: DID SOMEONE SAY THE LIKED THE CHURCH OF THE SUBGENIUS!!!! "Liked"? Nobody *likes* the Church of the SubGenius, Tex. You *live* the Church of the SubGenius. "Like" is not an option. Send thirty dollars to PO BOX 140306, Dallas, TX 75214. NOW (or die a painful, agonizing, drawn-out death. It's up to you). See how much you like things after that! > WOW!!! I loved it. ? "Loved"? Past tense? Er... as the EndTimes are already upon us, and X-Day and imminent torture, maiming, violence and destruction are only months away, you seem to think the Church is to be spoken of in the PAST TENSE!? SOMEbody's gonna have their eyeballs exploded at the hands of X-ist beings on July 5... -Rev. Chris Stangl ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 10:59:59 -0500 (CDT) From: "Christopher M. Stangl" Subject: Re: TMBG: johns in the movies (again!) Message-ID: On Sun, 19 Apr 1998, rachel wrote: > here's an i idea though, donald sutherland!- only in the 70's though, he > looked a lot like linnell then. so we would have to go back in time and get > him or something. > rachel ! Maybe you failed to notice that while John Linnell is unbearably cute, Donald Sutherland is kind of gross. -Chris Stangl ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199804201559.LAA05136@elvis.vnet.net> From: "Could be an Illusion" Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 12:00:00 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Looking for a couple tapes / early tree plotting -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hi, all! I'm hoping somebody out here can help me get hold of good recordings of the following shows: 9/13/97 Philly - early show (sentimental reasons, 'cause I was there) 9/13/97 Philly - late show ('cause I wasn't there) At one time I had a trade lined up, but I ran out of money and initiative and it fell through. :/ If you can find something on my list (see Web address below), I'll be glad to work a trade with you; otherwise I can send blanks and return postage. *** Also, I am in the early stages of planning a tape tree; I'll use a show that I have unless somebody has a high-quality recording they'd like to use as a seed. If you've got a yummy show or two you'd like to distribute to the masses, a tree can get hundreds of copies out with very little effort on your part (especially since I'm volunteering to administer the thing :) ...so drop me a line if you're interested. Some of you may remember my abortive effort at the same thing a year ago... I thought it was going to happen but I was not able to get the seed I had planned on. See you in the funny papers, =] Carl Hudkins + Tape list available at =--> http://users.vnet.net/chud/ [y ] [t =] "Thank you for the card with the cartoon nurse, [h ] but, you see, there's nothing wrong with me..." [e =] --They Might Be Giants [r -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: 2.6.2 Comment: Would you send mail without an envelope? iQCVAwUBNTtw+r5BFpotHh45AQFZnwP6AsyMtmoZYb0HVJBHV18lfFTI8bymqu9v eqd3q6AtA2NH1SA4NB52Utesh1jEgVe3rH9HKXEZtG8jQyr1BOk7Rr+ONoMgKiWe 94hbmARfu2LdG8xEZ6DwtTZSCHTSBxn40ki26Zr0LkkkOgb3RpNh7Q4tNqgiDASW gF05BX3qqYk= =nU2K -----END PGP SIGNATURE----- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3512A1F1.FE7A6868@tmbg.org> Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 12:05:53 -0500 From: Chris Feeny Campbell Subject: TMBG:MTV Request I personally want to see Ana Ng, because I've never seen the whole thing. So... someone take a count, and give us a date + e-mail +phone Thanks, Chris "Feeny" ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot Message-ID: Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 13:12:10 EDT Subject: NON TMBG: The list is alive... A little while back (a couple months ago), there was talk about how the list may be dying, well, I just have to say, it always seems to come back to life & there are cycles (most people mentioned these cycles at low points, I felt the need to mention them at high points, for once, just to prove that high points DO happen)... jason "uh...i'm tired" glastetter ------------------------------ Message-ID: <353BBA51.5D64@fuse.net> Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 14:12:50 -0700 From: Jay Organization: The Confounded Bridge Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell dominance? Joda: Master of Yedi wrote: > well... perhaps i'm just looking for an excuse but if you think about > it... it's only been linnell songs that have gotten "popular" (i'm > talking particle man and birdhouse) i dunno... ja, you've got a point--ana ng, don't let's start, birdhouse, particle man, snail shell ... the list goes on. > i personally think flansburgh is the nicer of the two to fans... > linnell's just shy. :) flans strikes me as a little obnoxious and hyperactive--but definitely more outgoing and pleasant. it's hard for me to respect him as a musician, however, knowing the bit that i know. love and good happiness stuff, jay ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 14:06:19 -0400 Subject: Re: NONTMBG: Big Bad Voodoo Daddy... Message-ID: <19980420.144633.6262.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> On Tue, 14 Apr 1998 10:25:34 CST "Mr. Me" writes: >here's another swinger! i'm learning how to dance now. along with >big bad voodoo daddy, you guys should check out cherry poppin' >daddies, royal crown revue, mighty blue kings, and brian setzer >orchestra. really great stuff. > >jeremy <> I am going to see Cherry Poppin' Daddies on May 15 along w/ Everclear, Fastball and like 7 other bands... It should be quite cool... I have been a big fan of BSO for a while.... I love the Stray Cats, and I'm hoping that Jimmy Ray, although his song sucks big time, will start another Rockabilly wave... I also have heard of RCR from the Music for Mother Ocean two (great BSO song on there) where they did Barflies at the Beach... does the lead singer always sound like that wealsley New Yorker... I saw a CD called The Amazing Royal Crowns... are these the same guys? Also, I recommend Squirrel Nut Zippers for the same taste... I have The Inevitable (ON 12" LP!!!!!) and Sold Out Tim, is he Fay Raye? who wants to know about that? Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: Twisting Live in NY Last CD purchase: Big Bad Voodoo Daddy - s/t _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 15:04:21 -0400 (EDT) From: Jish Subject: TMBG: Accurate info on pittsburgh show Message-ID: My friend who has a Duquesne ID went down to Duquesne with me today and bought me a ticket. Here is the accurate info: Tickets are $2 with an ID...$8 without although the tickets for non students are limited They didn't really check his ID very closely and I am not planning on needeing it to get in.... Doors are at 7pm, show at 7:45 in the Union Ballroom well...thats about it I think... Jish ------------------------------ Message-ID: <353BA21C.EED32DD4@mail.utexas.edu> Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 14:29:32 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Organization: University of Texas at Austin Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell dominance? Jay wrote: > Joda: Master of Yedi wrote: > > > well... perhaps i'm just looking for an excuse but if you think about > > it... it's only been linnell songs that have gotten "popular" (i'm > > talking particle man and birdhouse) i dunno... > > ja, you've got a point--ana ng, don't let's start, birdhouse, particle > man, snail shell ... the list goes on. Well, of those, only the first 4 really achieved commercial success. I don't think there were any other really popular songs by Linnell. And again, these songs are popular to the public, not necessarily to TMBG fans. > linnell's just shy. :) flans strikes me as a little obnoxious and > hyperactive--but definitely more outgoing and pleasant. it's hard for > me to respect him as a musician, however, knowing the bit that i know. I've never found Flans obnoxious... What about him do you know that doesn't allow you to respect him as a musician? Harf, Mitch http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~mitcharf/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <353BA25A.E40931F4@mail.utexas.edu> Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 14:30:34 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Organization: University of Texas at Austin Subject: TMBG: Linnell dominance Joda: Master of Yedi wrote: > >It is true, and is because a great number of people like Linnell more > >than > >Flansburgh. Then there are those who like them equally. But certainly > >in > >the minority are those who prefer Flansburgh. > > well... perhaps i'm just looking for an excuse but if you think about > it... it's only been linnell songs that have gotten "popular" (i'm > talking particle man and birdhouse) i dunno... Those are certainly the two most popular, but not among TMBG fans, of whom the mailing list is composed. Among fans I don't think Linnell songs are the clear victors, although I would say that they probably are still more popular than Flans songs, even among fans. Still, I'd have to say I like both equally. > i personally think flansburgh is the nicer of the two to fans... I've never known Linnell to be rude to fans, he just doesn't like to meet them after shows very often. Which isn't being rude, IMO. Touring has got to be exhausting, as does answering the same questions from fans time and time again. That having been said, I'd still love the chance to talk to Linnell after a concert for more than 30 seconds. Harf, Mitch http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~mitcharf/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19980420123100.006871c8@mailbox.ucdavis.edu> Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 12:36:16 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: UK A18 >2. Fingertips is at the and of A18, also bought in the UK, but the bits are >all stuck together as 1 track, so the shuffle thing doesn't work. > >Why? A horrible mastering error. :( THe entire UK/Europe first pressing of A18 has that problem. I believe it was corrected in the second pressing. Or, you could buy a copy of the CD from an American source. --nicole the wonder nerd *** "Ain't nothing worse in my brain than when I feel too sane."--Rockapella Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn Public PGP key at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn/key.html ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980420144015.006967d8@pop.indy.net> Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 14:40:15 -0400 From: rachel Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell dominance?/ movies >Joda: Master of Yedi wrote: > >> well... perhaps i'm just looking for an excuse but if you think about >> it... it's only been linnell songs that have gotten "popular" (i'm >> talking particle man and birdhouse) i dunno... > >ja, you've got a point--ana ng, don't let's start, birdhouse, particle >man, snail shell ... the list goes on. > >> i personally think flansburgh is the nicer of the two to fans... >> > jay wrote: >linnell's just shy. :) flans strikes me as a little obnoxious and >hyperactive--but definitely more outgoing and pleasant. it's hard for >me to respect him as a musician, however, knowing the bit that i know. > also, linnell may be more liked/ respected as a musician simply because he plays more instruments and therefore appears more talented. i too, however, like both of the johns equally because their personalities, although different, balence eachother out quite nicely. which is probably why they became friends and have been able to stay together for so long. and probably why we like tmbg so much. in response to: > ! Maybe you failed to notice that while John Linnell is >unbearably cute, Donald Sutherland is kind of gross. > -Chris Stangl > ok, ok, did you see the movie on bravo (i think it was) the other night that he was in? (i know, i know horrible) "act of the heart" (1970)? granted, donald sutherland is not the most attractive guy, but there was just something about him in that movie that reminded me of linnell, like he could've been his older brother or something. really! lovies, rachel ------------------------------ Message-ID: <353BCEE1.21EEC510@geocities.com> Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 15:40:36 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: Help me please! Bongo wrote: >1) I'm a bit out of touch with things but is it true the > two Linnell solo CD's and the MonoPuff EP's can now be > ordered individually without buying several years worth of > Hello? I went to the MERCHANDISE section of tmbg.com but I > think its no so up-to date. (They proudly announce: "We are > now taking orders for the March 25th release of Then: The > Earlier Years two disc set!") NEW from Bar/None Records: They Might Be Giants' first album! If you liked the demo tape, you'll love this! Seriously, though... > > > I don't have a catalog and God only know how long > it would take to get one through the mail. So could someone > either send me a scan of the related section from the > catalog OR send me a xerox of it OR just e-mail me the info > on the prices, S+H address, etc., etc. Actually, I'd like this information, too. I've been wanting to get my hands on "State Songs" for a while, but have never known the ordering information. -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org or vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 13:49:54 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: The School Music Thing Message-ID: i would have killed to have 'the end of the tour' as my senior class song (except for the fact that it hadn't been recorded yet). instead, i was stuck with 'symphony of destruction' by megadeth. *shiver* --jim kuemmerle, who's back from a brief trip to arizona and has 600-someodd messages in his INBOX... all replies will be slow... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu SKULL MOUNTAIN: we'll meet at the end of the tour... http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/skullmountain.html ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 15:50:54 -0400 (EDT) From: Beth Connell Subject: TMBG: Re: Buffalo Message-ID: Sarah wrote: yay! i got my tickets for the 4/24 buffalo show... beth? y'going? Yup. Got the tickets, told the boss I'm leaving early to get ready for the show, am deciding on what to wear, have set aside the $$ for a t-shirt to wear over whatever I'm wearing.. :) Beth -<*>- http://www.cgicafe.com/~soulfire | "I want to raise my freak flag higher and higher..." -TMBG | "Rock Climbing, Joel. Rock Climbing." -Tom Servo, MST3K | "I love humans. Always seeing patterns in things that aren't there." -Dr. Who (8th Doctor) | Odangos, anyone? -<*>- ------------------------------ From: Strawbos69 Message-ID: <43116251.353bac0d@aol.com> Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 16:11:56 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Help me please! Info Club Phone # (914) 3590-0867 I believe they were $6.00 each. S&H is as follows: Up to $5 = $4.00 $5.01 = $5.00 Of course, this doesn't mean they're still available. Anyone order them lately? "We know what we're going to play, we have a tape" ------------------------------ From: Strawbos69 Message-ID: Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 16:26:04 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Help me please! In a message dated 98-04-20 16:14:48 EDT, you write: << Info Club Phone # (914) 3590-0867 I believe they were $6.00 each. S&H is as follows: Up to $5 = $4.00 $5.01 = $5.00 >> oops! that should be ^^^^^^ $30.00 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <353BDD2C.44CE@fuse.net> Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 16:41:32 -0700 From: Jay Organization: The Confounded Bridge Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell dominance? Mitchell Harding wrote: > > What about him do you know that doesn't allow you to respect him as a > musician? > > Harf, > Mitch > http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~mitcharf/ *ahem* before you let the flames begin--i remember way back, when i called bj armstrong a crappy guitarist on a green day mailing list. (with the not-so-ironclad defense that i liked his music just the same, which was a lie, but i digress) unfortune smiled upon me that day; 50 e-mails later i was completely char-broiled. i shan't say the same about flansie--he's certainly not a bad guitarist, but as far as technical competence goes (and i do mean technical competence, nothing more!), he's not segovia. that be all i shall say, on that subject. :) sir jay ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 14:53:10 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell dominance? Message-ID: <19980420.145854.14270.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) >> well... perhaps i'm just looking for an excuse but if you think >about >> it... it's only been linnell songs that have gotten "popular" (i'm >> talking particle man and birdhouse) i dunno... > >Those are certainly the two most popular, but not among TMBG fans, of >whom the mailing list is composed. Among fans I don't think Linnell >songs >are the clear victors, although I would say that they probably are >still >more popular than Flans songs, even among fans. yeah, that's why i put the word popular in quotations... >Still, I'd have to say I like both equally. ditto... although i do tend to find myself going through stages where i'll just be listening to flans tracks or just be listening to linnell tracks on each of the CD's... wierd. >> i personally think flansburgh is the nicer of the two to fans... > >I've never known Linnell to be rude to fans, he just doesn't like to >meet >them after shows very often. Which isn't being rude, IMO. Touring has >got >to be exhausting, as does answering the same questions from fans time >and >time again. but in a way, it all comes with the profession ya know? i just think flans is more adapted to the career because of his extrovertedness :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ::::The Official Gum Bubble:::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 17:34:11 -0400 (EDT) From: "Eric Webber (EIN tech)" Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell dominance? Message-ID: On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, Jay wrote: > i shan't say the same about flansie--he's certainly not a bad guitarist, > but as far as technical competence goes (and i do mean technical > competence, nothing more!), he's not segovia. > > sir jay > How do you know how good of a guitarist Flans is? Or the guy from green day either. Flans has been playing a long time. He may be able to play the most amazing guitar in the universe. It's a mistake to judge someone's ability by what they put on their albums. I play drums. I play many different style and I've been playing for 11 years. I also play in a punk rock band. I wouldn't want someone to listen to that and think it was all I could play. In other words just because I play some straight forward, somewhat simple music dosen't mean it's all I can play. Until you've sat down with Flans and had the "ultimate guitar player competition" you shouldn't be so quick to judge his abilities. I do think however it is all right to judge specific instances of guitar playing. Like, "He plays like crap in that song." Take it easy, Wubba --- Eric Webber - Electronic Information Network desk- 412.622.1944 page- 412.272.1854 webbere@clpgh.org wubba@tmbg.org p-wolves@mailexcite.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 17:42:55 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <3.0.16.19980420174053.0ebf8760@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu> From: Harry Subject: Re: TMBG: johns in the movies (again!) At 08:01 PM 4/19/98 -0700, you wrote: >---rachel wrote: >BTW, I came up with an interesting idea. You know how they have Gershwin >revues and revues of other composers (where they compile the songs and make >them into a story, so it becomes a nice little musical)? I thought it would >be interesting to do a TMBG revue, using the Johns as sort of a Greek chorus >thing. Just a thought. What do y'all in listserv land think? > >> lovies, >> rachel >Danielle, inspector over the mine It boggles the imagination trying to think of a storyline involving several dead people, a tiny dancing skeleton, Chess Piece Face, a train engineer with a paper-white mask of evil face, and (oh what the heck) Kurtis Blow (or at least people talking like him). Gosh, the more I think about it, the better it's sounding. Gimmee lotsa drugs beforehand, tho. Hair Knight "Life is what happens when you're Knight.49@osu.edu busy making other plans" Justahobby@tmbg.org -John Lennon http://members.tripod.com/~jahobby ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 17:46:01 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Help me please! Message-ID: <19980420.174601.4662.1.Mr.Train@juno.com> I am sad to announce that as of January House of Mayors was sold out Will there be another pressing? The world may never know... I did get State Songs and Fan Club Credit for the price of HOM! (No TMBG Dollars... wah... how cool would that be?) Anyway.. just lettin' everyone know... Tim, wired weird Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: Twistin' Live in NYC! Last CD purchase: Big Bad Voodoo Daddy - s/t Upcoming Concerts: Big Head Todd et. al. - May 8 96 X-fest - May 15 The Connells - June 5 or 6 Dave Matthews Band - ? _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 17:51:44 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <3.0.16.19980420174944.31df193c@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu> From: Harry Subject: Re: TMBG: The School Music Thing At 01:49 PM 4/20/98 -0600, you wrote: > >i would have killed to have 'the end of the tour' as my senior class song >(except for the fact that it hadn't been recorded yet). instead, i was >stuck with 'symphony of destruction' by megadeth. Where the hell did you go to high school? I can just see THAT voting board. "Well, guys. We need a song that conveys melancholy with a bittersweet touch of hope." "Dude....Megadeth! 'Symphony', man!" > >*shiver* > >--jim kuemmerle, who's back from a brief trip to arizona and has >600-someodd messages in his INBOX... all replies will be slow... Hair Knight "Mikey Dies One Thousand Deaths" Knight.49@osu.edu -Just A Hobby Justahobby@tmbg.org http://members.tripod.com/~jahobby ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 18:01:08 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <3.0.16.19980420175907.366ff7f0@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu> From: Harry Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell dominance? For my first four years of fandom, I didn't know which John was which becasue they never got any TV coverage and there was no world wide web. My only visual was to assume that it was those two cartoon guys on the back cover of the first album. When I finally got to see them live in '88 (the best thing that had ever happened in my entire life up to that point), I found out what they looked like and which one was which (and promptly forgot.) (The same way I still can't tell you which Indigo Girl is Amy and which is Emily.) It took seeing them in some magazine after "Flood" came out before I could tell them apart. And, to be honest with you, I can't tell their voices apart on the CD's, either. (Of course, I don't try too hard, either.) Hell, I'm always surprised to read the liner notes and find out The Ordinaires or Hudson Shad was on the record without a Potential Giant in sight. Don't get me wrong. I'm a true fan and have been from the start. But does anyone share my opinion and NOT have a favorite Potential Giant? I love em both! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <353BF258.1103@fuse.net> Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 18:11:52 -0700 From: Jay Organization: The Confounded Bridge Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell dominance? Harry wrote: > > Don't get me wrong. I'm a true fan and have been from the start. But does > anyone share my opinion and NOT have a favorite Potential Giant? I love em > both! > i agree, wholeheartedly--they both rock completely. ;) oh, and to whomever asked how i could tell that flans isn't the world's best guitarist going by only what i've heard on the albums--i can't, and the guy from the moody blues (god help me, can't remember his name) is a perfect example of that .. when he goes all out, he's great. i'm just going by what he's played for tmbg ... mostly songwriting--ie, chord progressions. people like vai have spoiled me. ;) sir jay ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 17:41:18 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell dominance? At 04:41 PM 4/20/98 -0700, you wrote: >> What about him do you know that doesn't allow you to respect him as a >> musician? > >i shan't say the same about flansie--he's certainly not a bad guitarist, >but as far as technical competence goes (and i do mean technical >competence, nothing more!), he's not segovia. > >that be all i shall say, on that subject. :) I agree -- I don't think either Linnell or Flansburgh are world-class musicians as far as technical competence goes. But that's not all there is to a musician, IMO. They have incredible creativity and variety to their music, not to mention being able to perform well live also. Harf, Mitch ------------------------------ From: Dr Worm X Message-ID: <302999aa.353bd0d3@aol.com> Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 18:48:50 EDT Subject: TMBG: Linnelianism/Flasburghic All I can say is that these are my two favorite Giants (in no particular order) 1. John Flansburgh 2. John Linnell Thank you Matt Turn around, turn around, it's a human skull on the ground Simpsons quote of the post: That's my old smithson wesson. Be careful with it, because it's loaded- Grandpa Abraham Simpson http://members.aol.com/DrWormX (check out my sideshow) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19980420233006.007e3a30@mail-in.keme.net> Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 23:30:06 +0100 From: The Ellesleys Subject: Re: TMBG: johns in the movies (again!) At 17:42 20/04/98 -0400, you wrote: >At 08:01 PM 4/19/98 -0700, you wrote: >>---rachel wrote: > >>BTW, I came up with an interesting idea. You know how they have Gershwin >>revues and revues of other composers (where they compile the songs and make >>them into a story, so it becomes a nice little musical)? I thought it would >>be interesting to do a TMBG revue, using the Johns as sort of a Greek chorus >>thing. Just a thought. What do y'all in listserv land think? >> >>> lovies, >>> rachel >>Danielle, inspector over the mine > >It boggles the imagination trying to think of a storyline involving several >dead people, a tiny dancing skeleton, Chess Piece Face, a train engineer >with a paper-white mask of evil face, and (oh what the heck) Kurtis Blow >(or at least people talking like him). > It may boggle the mind but little old me is going to attempt it! Watch this space coz I'll tell ya all when I'm done (probably in a week or so... maybe even the weekend). THE ELLESLEYS (of Colchester-Essex-UK) Home Page: Http://www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/ TMBG page: Http://members.xoom.com/uncle_squid/Xoom/ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ "I walked from my baby's Brixton flat into a riot I thought of maybe turning back 'til things were quiet, when all the building to be be burnt had be burnt and and all the cars to over-turn, were over-turned..." - carter the unstoppable sex machine And God created Brixton ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 16:12:50 -0700 (PDT) From: winningh Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell dominance?+3 other threads Message-ID: Linnell is certainly the favorite among my circle of friends, and I believe it to be because discerning "art" girls such as ourselves are drawn to tall thin men, with wild hair, romantic pallor, and an aura of mystery, tragedy, Byronic-otherworldlyness (all of which can be interpreted into social-ineptness) plus the glorious masochism of pining after the more unattainable John who looks like he needs some nice girl to take care of him and see that he eats properly (have some oatmeal) As to Donald Sutherland being icky: I reccomend viewing "Start The Revolution Without Me" a movie which displays him at his physical and comic peak... why do people suggest actors given to violently unnerving facial expressions as Linnell? Do you really see him as that freaky lookin' guy? obsessional coffee-cup fan, I tried to do the same thing two years ago, but the mean janitors wouldn't let me; I do have the Flansie holy water tho, available for special religious occasions... O/Undine was indeed a play, (which Audrey Hepburn starred in), it is also a fairytale based on one of the common patterns; A prince discovers the secluded dwelling of the watersprite Ondine steals her clothes, or otherwise gains power over her, she agrees to be his wife so long as he treats her good, they live in happiness for a time, he gets mad one day and roughs her up, she flies away, he searches for her, He's travelin' in a boat and see's her in the water, goes in after her and drowns. Also usually some stuff about how she wants to earn an immortal soul a la the Little Mermaid. I'm not obsessed w/Linnell...really...I lead a very healthy and well rounded life... Sarah "Praise be Leffell isn't here to give me some well-deserved taunting" Winniningham ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 20:02:12 -0400 Subject: NON TMBG: HELP Ach!! Message-ID: <19980420.200231.3198.0.gray42@juno.com> oooooh!!!! I'm so frustrated, I'm making a web page for the first time (geocities) and I tried to put in a pic I drew, but it came out a broken image. Is there any way to fix that. What did I do wrong. Help!! Mysterio Gal (fellow Subgenius & Happy Mutant) " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 18:29:15 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: NON-TMBG: man or astroman Message-ID: IF: (1) you are a fan of man or astroman AND/OR: (2) you are a font freak like myself THEN: visit this site: http://www.tripod.com/web_tech/lifesupport/columns/chank/980416.html --jim kuemmerle, who is currently possessed by the ghost of BASIC... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu SKULL MOUNTAIN: we'll meet at the end of the tour... http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/skullmountain.html ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 20:19:37 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell dominance?+3 other threads Message-ID: <19980420.202009.3198.1.gray42@juno.com> On Mon, 20 Apr 1998 16:12:50 -0700 (PDT) winningh writes: > >Linnell is certainly the favorite among my circle of friends, and I >believe it to be because discerning "art" girls such as ourselves are >drawn to tall thin men, with wild hair, romantic pallor, and an aura >of >mystery, tragedy, Byronic-otherworldlyness (all of which can be >interpreted into social-ineptness) plus the glorious masochism of >pining >after the more unattainable John who looks like he needs some nice >girl to >take care of him and see that he eats properly (have some oatmeal) here here, add me to the artsie fartsie girl list, I totally know what your saying and I agree. 8 ^ D Mysterio Gal (fellow Subgenius & Happy Mutant) " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980421004115.0070c434@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 19:41:15 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: TMBG: Everybody loves Linnell. Huh, freaky. I myself have always taken a liken to John Con, I must be the "wierd" giant-head. John Syd I think is the more prominent one, he's the one people notice. That's why I've liked the other one, he seemed to sink into the background of all the pictures and performances I've seen. (Only on Television) *AND* all you people who are attracted to John Syd, you scare me. Just Kidding, I'm not attracted to either... Well, that might be because they are male... LDB, The "wierd" gianthead -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ From: Kaylum Message-ID: Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 20:45:00 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Help me please! In a message dated 98-04-20 17:50:59 EDT, you write: << I am sad to announce that as of January House of Mayors was sold out Will there be another pressing? The world may never know... I did get State Songs and Fan Club Credit for the price of HOM! (No TMBG Dollars... wah... how cool would that be?) Anyway.. just lettin' everyone know... >> I have it on good authority that the info club got a slew of new House of Mayors in a couple of months or so ago, but I haven't been able to afford it. Of course now that I've opened my big mouth, they'll probably be sold out by the time I'm ready to order one, but I didn't wanna be selfish, hee hee Kay ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 18:38:26 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: TMBAction Figures Message-ID: On Sun, 19 Apr 1998, Joey Groah wrote: > Can't have action figures without playsets: > (snip) > -Hell (Hey, Spawn gets it, so can TMBG action figures) complete with snowball, avalanche, and roadblock?? --jim kuemmerle, who is rehashing old threads for the sole reason that HE MUST HAVE HIS SAY, MUHUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu SKULL MOUNTAIN: we'll meet at the end of the tour... http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/skullmountain.html ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980420214228.00a647c0@mail.csrlink.net> Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 21:42:28 -0400 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: IRC remote script At 06:56 PM 4/20/98 -0600, you wrote: >On Sat, 18 Apr 1998, Dylan Flipse wrote: > >> Dylan "#tmbg of the Undernet rules all. (Jish, don't hurt me.)" Flipse > >GASP!! > >a sig that didn't mention mike leffel???? > >--jim kuemmerle, who will mention mike leffel in this sig to make up for >it. ;) My only rule is that I have to mention Mike Leffel ONCE in each post. Of course, I didn't do that either, but, uh, I was sick. Touch of the ol Ebola, it was. Honest. I'll do two. I had meant to mention it during the Palindrome thread. "Leffel" is a palindrome. Yah baby. Yah, and what does that script do? Anything cool? =) Dylan "My hockey team takes great pleasure in beating on me between periods. They're soo funny. And then the other team thinks it looks like fun to beat on the goalie! So they come do it! Ow ow ow. Aaahhhhhhh. But we won." Flipse Dylan Flipse...one of them. - dflipse@csrlink.net Dylan's page is at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ for now. I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed -They Might Be Giants, the coolest thing this side of Zaphod Beeblebrox. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980421015922.23672.rocketmail@web2.rocketmail.com> Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 18:59:22 -0700 (PDT) From: Danielle Gaither Subject: TMBG: John Linnell, Accordion Player and Arthouse Sex God He should get business cards with something to that effect on them. If he doesn't want it, I certainly do. Of course, I don't play the accordion, but let's not get all wrapped up in technicalities. ;) But seriously, folks... Thanks to everyone who responded. All I wanted to know was: 1. *if* the list gave Linnell more attention than Flans 2. if this were the case, *why* it was the case You have certainly answered those questions, as well as raised some interesting ones. Some of you think Linnell is "the more prominent one," whereas others say that Flans is. For those of you who think Linnell is less prominent but still prefer him, could it be because you identify with that? I'll be honest; I do. In what I've heard of the live shows, Flans seems to be more the showman and more extroverted than Linnell (anyone who professes to have "a neurotically large sense of personal space" is probably an introvert). So, do we geeky little introverts seek each other out? ;) I can definitely understand the "tortured soul" appeal. I've been known to fall for it more than once, schmuck that I am. Although, why would Linnell be more unobtainable than Flans? They're both married, and (I would think, anyway) therefore equally unobtainable. Although it doesn't matter to me. The only organ I want to see completely exposed on either one of them is their minds (yes, sexual overtones were completely intentional). On the prominence subject, my early memories of Them are rather muddled. The face I associated with them was definitely Flans's (for some reason, I thought they looked alike), but the voice I remember is clearly Linnell's. I wonder if there's something in that. I think it's a testament to how well they complement each other. Also, the Linnell-as-sex-god camp inspired me to make one of my better doodles in Logic class this afternoon. It consists of the Johns playing their instruments and sort of eyeing each other. Linnell is singing the bridge to "Kiss Me, Son of God" while thinking, "Boy, am I a stud!" Flans is just sort of eyeing him and thinking, "Yeah, John, go on with your bad self!" I may scan them. One may notice I have never stated which John I prefer in any previous messages. I've implied it a couple of times in this post. Those who are thinking that I prefer Linnell are right. However, I value Flans's contributions to the band, and I don't think I would like Them as much as I do without both John's. Danielle === URL: http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/1054/index.html "Well, we *could* just say that Americans are stupid, but that would be mean." --John Linnell _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #5-19 *****************************