Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #5-20 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 5, Number 20 Wednesday, 22 April 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: class songs... TMBG: West Coast Shows NON-TMBG: class songs... TMBG: Nothing like the first time TMBG: Class Songs Re: TMBG: Nothing like the first time Re: TMBG: Nothing like the first time Re: TMBG: Nothing like the first time TMBG: Sound page update! TMBG: colombus show tonight. Re: TMBG: colombus show tonight. NON-TMBG: Long time, no see... :) TMBG: Linnel vs. Flansburgh Re: TMBG: Nothing like the first time Re: TMBG: class songs... TMBG: Pittsburgh (last time, I promise) Re: TMBG: class songs... Re: TMBG: class songs... Re: TMBG: Nothing like the first time Re: TMBG: Nothing like the first time TMBG: Pittsburgh show Re: TMBG: Nothing like the first time TMBG: Ska version of She's An Angel mp3 Re: TMBG: Nothing like the first time, with OMLTs Re: TMBG: Johns:relating to NON TMBG:Thanx TMBG: Various musings Re: TMBG: Pittsburgh (last time, I promise) Re: TMBG: Nothing like the first time Re: TMBG: Pittsburgh (last time, I promise) TMBG: Re: TMBG--First time. Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 02:41:10 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: TMBG: class songs... Message-ID: jim kuemmerle spoke thusly: > i would have killed to have 'the end of the tour' as my senior class > song (except for the fact that it hadn't been recorded yet). instead, i > was stuck with 'symphony of destruction' by megadeth. that was your class song??? yeeech! wow.... I also graduated from h.s. before John Henry days, but hey, I will be a college graduate in three weeks and I have thus decided that "The End Of The Tour" will be my own personal graduation anthem. :) Oh, well, that and Wally Pleasant's "Postgraduate Overeducated Out-Of-Work Blues." speaking of cool senior class songs, a friend of mine led a successful drive to get R.E.M.'s "It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" as the class song at his high school, but at the last minute the administration decided it was "inappropriate" and they got stuck with whichever Boyz II Men song it was that was popular in '93. Sorry, I've got graduation on the brain. :) --Tara -- Tara Weber 00085244@bigred.unl.edu http://members.tripod.com/~TaraW "We want everybody to have a good time, but we're not on a rock hero trip." --John Flansburgh "It's more of a rock gyro trip." --John Linnell ****MSTie #74191, TMBGer #38978**** ------------------------------ From: echuss@notes.cc.bellcore.com Message-ID: <852565ED.004B4C71.00@notes950.cc.bellcore.com> Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 10:02:24 -0400 Subject: TMBG: West Coast Shows -BONGO wrote: 2) Is there any tour info beyond the "5/3/98 Ithaca, NY Cornell College" show info listed on the web site? I am patiently waiting for a west coast show... its been almost two years now! By the time they get here again, they will be completely burnt-out from entertaining you east coast people non-stop for the last year and a half. > I believe they do have some west coast shows lined up in the year 2040. I forget the locations but I have the info in my shirt drawer and I can check tonight if you would like. ;-) I hate when people submit posts like these (teasers). It's a good thing I wrote it so when I receive it I won't have to read it. Erik ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 09:17:48 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: NON-TMBG: class songs... Message-ID: On Tue, 21 Apr 1998, Tara Lynne Weber wrote: > speaking of cool senior class songs, a friend of mine led a successful > drive to get R.E.M.'s "It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel > Fine)" as the class song at his high school, but at the last minute the > administration decided it was "inappropriate" and they got stuck with > whichever Boyz II Men song it was that was popular in '93. i believe that was 'end of the road' -- which took 2nd place at my school (Robert H. Goddard Senior High in Roswell, New Mexico)... > Sorry, I've got graduation on the brain. :) understood! :) --jim kuemmerle, who congratulates you on your impending graduation and hopes the thesis monster is at bay... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu SKULL MOUNTAIN: we'll meet at the end of the tour... http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/skullmountain.html ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 12:33:20 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <3.0.16.19980421123120.30e7d6ea@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu> From: Harry Subject: TMBG: Nothing like the first time Okay, I thought I'd throw this one up the freak flagpole and see who salutes: Describe the first time you ever heard They Might Be Giants. Mine was during my sophomore year in high school (1987). I was gradually finding friends in the underrated outcast crowd. A guy in my gym class who got made fun of almost as much as I did slipped me what must have been at least a second generation copy of the epynomously titled debut album. I took it home and it didn't leave my tape player for months. My favorite songs off of it were "She's An Angel" and "Everything Right Is Wrong Again" (to this day still my favorite). That summer I annoyed the hell out of my dad on a camping trip by constantly playing this tape. (I had taped Run-DMC's "Tougher Than Leather" album on the B-side and just flipped back and forth between the two.) I saw Them a month or so later on "Al-TV" (back when MTV was creative, they used to let Weird Al "take over" and play way-non-mainstream stuff) doing "Don't Let's Start." They looked exactly how I would have pictured Them if I were as clever. I was hooked. I got a CD player the next year as a gift and the first disk I bought was the newly pressed "Lincoln". So what's your story? ------------------------------ Message-ID: <002d01bd6d44$adc1b9c0$481e8a81@refund.rcn.nmt.edu> From: "Refund" Subject: TMBG: Class Songs Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 10:43:57 -0600 Our class song, for HS Graduation was 'I get by with a little help from my friends' by The Beatles. It's a good song and all, but I was pushing for 'Letterbox' simply because I'd be nearly the only one who knew what the hell they'd be singing. I think it would have been funny to see that many confused people at once. Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the state of New Mexico. "And whoever said there's nothing new under the sun never thought much about individuals, but he's dead anyway." The Refreshments -- Down Together. P.S. Visit www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Amphitheatre/5550/ The first Julie Plug tribute page in HISTORY!!! :0) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980421164821.13047.rocketmail@send1d.yahoomail.com> Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 09:48:21 -0700 (PDT) From: Leanne Fraser Subject: Re: TMBG: Nothing like the first time All right, I had to answer this one. Not that my story is all that interesting. I was 16 or so and bored. I was watching that old MM alternative music show City limits and they play the video for Purple Toupee wich for some reason I taped without even thinking about it. Of course after that I went out (the same day even) and bought the first tape I could find, not having heard anything else by them. The tape I got was Flood. You should see the condition this tape is in now. Nothing readable on it. But it still plays. I also managed to get about 90% of my friends either incredibly sick of them or hooked. Thats my story. P.S. I've only gotten to see them live once but they rocked!!!!!! _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: Strawbos69 Message-ID: Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 12:58:12 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Nothing like the first time In a message dated 98-04-21 12:34:52 EDT, knight.49@osu.edu writes: << So what's your story? >> O.k., this is really cheesey, but here goes... Back in Jan. of 1993 I was at the annual Band Banquet (don't say it). Every year the staff puts together a video that runs about an hour long with music and pictures that band members contributed throughout the football season. About half way through there was about a 30 second clip of night rehearsals in the stadium that was backed by the chorus of "Whistling in the dark" I remember laughing my head thinking how appropriate that was. It wasn't until about 2 and half years later that I discovered who they were. I've been hooked ever since... BORING! I now return you to your regularly schedule net surfing... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <353CFE4B.7E01@fuse.net> Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 13:15:08 -0700 From: Jay Organization: The Confounded Bridge Subject: Re: TMBG: Nothing like the first time the first time i heard them was on tiny toon adventures--yes, yes, i know you've all come to hate people who match that description. i was about 12 at the time, and it turned out that my brother owned "flood;" i stole it from him and listened to nothing but that for about two years. then, after he died, i bought john henry, eventually amassing a tmbg collection; and here i am, four years later my tiny toon phase, still obsessed. it will never end. i'll see to that. ;) love and good happiness stuff, jay ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 13:16:35 -0400 (EDT) From: The Demonic Kangaroo Subject: TMBG: Sound page update! Message-ID: Hi there. I just added *11* full songs in MP3 & WAV format to my sound page.. they are from the 9/19/92 show at Valentine Hall in Amherst, MA. They are: Cowtown, Ana Ng, Boat of Car, Pictures of Matchstick Men (stump the band), Narrow Your Eyes, If I Wasn't Shy, Whistling in the Dark, Don't Lets Start, Mammal, Maybe I Know & Hideaway Folk Family. I hope you enjoy them! These songs in RealAudio to come shortly. -Mike http://www.cybercomm.net/~tdk/tmbg.html ------------------------------ Message-ID: <353D006E.435C@fuse.net> Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 13:24:14 -0700 From: Jay Organization: The Confounded Bridge Subject: TMBG: colombus show tonight. at the colombus show tonight, i'll be wearing either blue jeans or black cords, and a green t-shirt with strange writing on the front--say hi, somebody. please. :) love, jay ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 13:23:26 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib Subject: Re: TMBG: colombus show tonight. Message-ID: My friend and I will be there, too. I'll be wearing the "Music Self-Played" shirt and jeans. My friend will likely be wearing a yellow vest. My name is Ryan, his name is Dan. I hope someone will try to organize something of a list section, but if not, well... you know. :) RS ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19980421141947.007965a0@email.psu.edu> Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 14:19:47 -0400 From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: NON-TMBG: Long time, no see... :) Hi! Nobody here remembers me (*sigh*) but I'm back. How's that for boring news? :D Anyway, I was on the list for a year or more, mostly going by J.L. I was the person that posted the *correct* directions to the Elizabethtown show, but was unable to direct concertgoers to a decent all-night place after- wards. :) I left the list about a year ago because I was too pregnant and tired to keep up with the mail, but I missed knowing what's going on in the world of They, plus the baby naps (on my chest) enough to let me read a lot of e-mail. :D Oh yeah, in case you care, Alicia Cecille Moquin (alice the bean) was born 8/15/97. She hears a lot of music (including, of course, the Twin Quasars of Rock) but has yet to show a preference of any sort... And her baby T-shirt is still too big for her, but she'll probably start wearing it this summer! So, what did I miss? Is there a video compilation vol. 3, Russ? I see OMLTs are still a topic of discussion. This amazes me! :D I figgered they'd all be worn holey by now! Hello to Leo, Boba, and anyone else who was around in the olden days... Oh, and has anything new come from the info club in the past 6 months or so? We moved, and I left a couple "change of address" messages on their machine but of course got no feedback, so I worry... ;) Ok, enough for now. Back to lurking. :D Later... -jennifer, mommy to alice the bean, 8/15/97 http://www.emprl.psu.edu/~anth/ mailto:jls5@psu.edu "Why can't you have a nice sunshine, flowers, and rainbows .sig like any normal woman?" -- Anthony Moquin ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot Message-ID: <409eb4c1.353cf667@aol.com> Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 15:41:25 EDT Subject: TMBG: Linnel vs. Flansburgh I think Linnel is a %^$%in' idiotic piece of %$%, who Flans should ^%#^in' ditch & go solo (which is why he formed Mono Puff).... Just kidding, I love Linnel, but I have to say, I prefer Mr. Flansburgh, not by much though...it's a really tough call...They wouldn't be called They without both of them, They would be called He Might Be Giants or something. It just wouldn't be the same, it would be Mono Puff (which i enjoy, but not as much as TMBG)! It's like the yin-yang (sp?). It's like XTC & Adam Ant.....well, you get the idea...two different things to contradict each other slightly to get a full, vibrant effect... As for Flans's guitar work, well, even he listens to some old recordings & calls his guitar work crap. Obviously over time he's gotten better! --jason "who liked Mr. Flansburgh better because he got to meet him, that is the only difference....it probably would've been different if it was a talk with linnel" glastetter ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 15:10:36 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Nothing like the first time Message-ID: <19980421.151039.3686.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) >So what's your story? i know i've told the list my story like a bazillion times but hey here goes (hahaa... i jsut cut this out of the last digest that i sent it to a few months ago)... back in 1989 my older sister had the lincoln 'tape' (no, we weren't cool enough to have cd players yet) i used to go in here room and steal it all the time (along with a bunch of other useless crap). then one day i saw them on tiny toons... wow, was that cool... luckily my sister saw it too and she immediately bought the flood album. yah, now i had something else to steal from her! anyways, by that time i had gotten a cd player and proceeded to buy both lincoln and flood on cd for myself. as i did with the rest of the albums in order as they came out... it wasn't until after i got JH that i got the pink album... it was way cool listening to 'em in that order because i could seriously hear a difference in their voices from the earlier years which, now, no matter how hard i try, i just can't hear (so, possibly i was on some sort of hallucinogenic drugs... i'm not putting anything past me...) anyways, my sister hates TMBG (just as i hate her freek-favorite-band Pearl jam) why is that? i have to hate anything that my sister reeally likes just as she has to hate anything i reeeally like... hmm... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ::::The Official Gum Bubble:::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 21 Apr 98 18:28 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: class songs... instead, i >> was stuck with 'symphony of destruction' by megadeth. > >that was your class song??? yeeech! wow.... *sigh* Ours is "Free Bird." I nominated "Road to Nowhere" by the Talking Heads, but that was nixed without the committee even listening to it.. :P That, and "It's The End of the World As We Know It" is my group's unnofficial graduation song. Kirsten -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "You think you're so funny, but looks aren't everything." - Lincoln "Wish You Were Dead" Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980421224857.13623.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Jason F." Subject: TMBG: Pittsburgh (last time, I promise) Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 15:48:56 PDT Ok people I just wanted to let anyone going to the Pittsburgh show tomorrow that I'll be wearing a brown and white striped t-shirt and a TMBG cap (and I'm 18)...Don't hesitate to say Hi. If anyone doesn't know, I called the place and ALL (repeat ALL) of the tickets, student ID or not, are only $2. The lady said you can buy tickets today or tomorrow, she emphasized that there are PLENTY of tickets available. See ya there! --Jason-- "Hot Cha, where are you? Everybody's eyes are closed." -They Might Be Giants ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 18:14:13 -0500 (CDT) From: Lord John Whorfin Subject: Re: TMBG: class songs... Message-Id: Well our class song just happened to be "It's the end of the world as we know it." I don't remeber what any of the other nominees were because I don't remember much of high school, even though I graduated in '96. Maybe it's because I hated most of the people in my class. But that's another story. And I am yet another person who found out about TMBG from Tiny Toons. Chris "The Dude" Cornell "Better sleep with a sober cannibal than a drunken Christian." ------------------------------ From: Kaylum Message-ID: <85f837fa.353d28ba@aol.com> Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 19:16:08 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: class songs... I graduated in 1984 *cough weeze* and our class song was a pretty sappy Kenny Rogers tune called "Through the Years." Some of my friends and I decided to make our unofficial song "Changes" by David Bowie, which I still think is pretty cool :) Kay ------------------------------ From: MatFoley99 Message-ID: <8589ad4.353d334f@aol.com> Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 20:01:18 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Nothing like the first time It's wierd how tmbg has eventually gotten into my blood. I remember sitting at lunch one day in seventh grade, and hearing the table of the then "cool kids" singing this song with lyrics about different men, one being a triangle. It somehow hit somewhere deep inside me, I never saw that infamous Tiny-toons episode, but something about the song sounded really familiar. I shrugged it off then, after a brief period of bitterness b/c I knew that they really had no idea what any of the words were besides, "Triangle man, triangle man...umm....something something....blah-blah man..." and I thought that was purely an injustice to this cool song that I had never even heard before (that I knew of) So, jump ahead, gosh, I guess it's 4 years, last year, my best friend kept mentioning how I should get into this really cool band called They Might be Giants. I quote him on this, "If you don't like the actual music, you'll love the lyrics!" So, we'd listen to some of his collection (which is all the LPs and all the EPs past 1990 or so) and throughout the whole thing he kept saying, "Come on, you don't think that's funny?" or something along those lines. It took me several listenings to finally enjoy what I was hearing, I admit that I was afraid of something new then, and eventually I made the big move to ask to borrow one of his CDs...I remember him saying the title was something along the lines of Lincoln, but I kept wanting to call it Lincoln Logs, only God knows why. So, anyways, that next day I bought then Then: compilation and listened to it for like a month straight. It was really wierd, so many of their songs seemed so very familiar, and I knew some of the lyrics even, and I know that I've never heard any of their stuff before then...maybe it was good guessing, or maybe fate. Or even an alien abduction where I was exposed to Them. Well, that's my story. Sorry if it was a tad on the long side... Chris "Of course, we have...THE CRUEL SHOES" Brannan ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980422002526.21663.rocketmail@attach1.rocketmail.com> Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 17:25:26 -0700 (PDT) From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: TMBG: Nothing like the first time ---Jay wrote: > > the first time i heard them was on tiny toon adventures--yes, yes, i > know you've all come to hate people who match that description. The first time I clearly remember hearing them was that Tiny Toons episode. I remember hearing about them, and I have vague memories of seeing part of the "Don't Let's Start" video, but the Tiny Toons thing is really what got me interested. I think I was a junior in high school at the time. My senior year in high school, I was upset by some incident, and a friend handed me his Discman, put in Flood, and said, "Listen to this and you'll feel better." I listened to the 2 songs that had been on Tiny Toons episode. I was preparing to hand it back (figuring he wanted it back) when he said, "No, no, listen some more. Listen to track 14." Before you go scrambling to see which one it is (you mean you don't have it memorized? ;) ), it was "Whistling in the Dark," which to this day is one of my favorite songs of Theirs. He also let me listen to a couple of tracks from Apollo 18. Of course, I felt better. My first semester in college I joined one of those CD clubs. They're actually quite a ripoff, but that's how I purchased Flood. It was one of those 7 CD's for a penny things, and Flood was one of the original seven. I later befriended someone who owned Apollo 18, but I didn't buy it until last summer. Now, shortly after that, I just went on a massive TMBG kick that I have yet to get off of. Within a month of purchasing Apollo 18, I bought the Then compilation. Over Spring Break this year, I bought Factory Showroom. Now if I can ever get the money and the time to buy John Henry, I plan to do so. > it will never end. i'll see to that. ;) Some people annoy their parents with the likes of Marilyn Manson, Pantera, and Tool. I annoy my parents with TMBG. ;) > love and good happiness stuff, > jay Danielle, inspector over the mine === URL: http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/1054/index.html "Well, we *could* just say that Americans are stupid, but that would be mean." --John Linnell _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 20:33:07 -0400 (EDT) From: pnaomi@ufp.org Message-Id: <199804220033.UAA24675@bird.taponline.com> Subject: TMBG: Pittsburgh show Hello, happy taxpayers. pnaomi here. i just wanted to announce that i'm going to be at the Duquesne TMBG concert tomorrow night, and that i'm going to be wearing a red t-shirt with a checkered patch on it that says "SKA". i'll of course keep a lookout for any others from the list, however, my Perception rating is rather low, as is my Alertness skill. (translation: you could be shouting at me and waving a slimy, smelly frog in my face and i might not notice.) but do try, nonetheless, to get my attention. now i must code, code away into the sunset, much like those who *ride* away into the sunset, except that i don't have a horse and i'm not going anywhere. --pnaomi "Doh, the sun already went down..." moos ------------------------------ From: EmmyMik Message-ID: Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 20:44:26 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Nothing like the first time In a message dated 98-04-21 12:34:52 EDT, you write: << Describe the first time you ever heard They Might Be Giants. Mine was during my sophomore year in high school (1987). I was gradually finding friends in the underrated outcast crowd. A guy in my gym class who got made fun of almost as much as I did slipped me what must have been at least a second generation copy of the epynomously titled debut album. I took it home and it didn't leave my tape player for months. My favorite songs off of it were "She's An Angel" and "Everything Right Is Wrong Again" (to this day still my favorite). That summer I annoyed the hell out of my dad on a camping trip by constantly playing this tape. (I had taped Run-DMC's "Tougher Than Leather" album on the B-side and just flipped back and forth between the two.) I saw Them a month or so later on "Al-TV" (back when MTV was creative, they used to let Weird Al "take over" and play way-non-mainstream stuff) doing "Don't Let's Start." They looked exactly how I would have pictured Them if I were as clever. I was hooked. I got a CD player the next year as a gift and the first disk I bought was the newly pressed "Lincoln". So what's your story? >> It was a few weeks ago in my freshmen (h.s.) social studies class. We had a student-teacher, and we were learning about the Turks, so she played "Istanbul (not Constantinople [sp?])" and "Particle Man". I would have to say that I was hooked. I checked out _Flood_ from the library (my parents are too cheap to buy cds), and I basically know all of the words to "Birdhouse in Your Soul". I've also checked out others, and love them all. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 20:46:09 -0400 (EDT) From: Jish Subject: TMBG: Ska version of She's An Angel mp3 Message-ID: I put up an mp3 of the Punk/Ska version of She's An Angel by The Bruce Lee Band...it is certainly interesting... http://tmbg.res.cmu.edu/ Special Offer Page has the mp3s Jish ------------------------------ Message-ID: <353D4175.19F4@geocities.com> Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 18:01:41 -0700 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: Nothing like the first time, with OMLTs > the first time i heard them was on tiny toon adventures--yes, yes, i > know you've all come to hate people who match that description. Unfortunately for me, so did I. Yes, I'm a Floodie... The real reason for me getting into TMBG was the fact that a TMBG pal o' mine came up to me in science class in 6th grade... and said, "You know what you gotta get? Flood." And I just sorta went, "Yeah, okay..." He informed me that it was the "Particle Man" album, and being a strong-minded 6th grader, I immediately took his advice and bought the album. Falling in love, I got JH for my next birthday, and it went downhill from there... and in a final word, what about OMLTs? -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "Is everything normal now?" "And crawling on the "Well, he hasn't got planet's face... some religious mania, and he's called the Human Race. not running around in a Lost in time, and lost circle spouting Gilbert in space... and Sullivan, so I guess ...and meaning." he's normal." ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 15:10:10 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Johns:relating to Message-ID: <19980421.212759.3214.0.gray42@juno.com> I find that I can actually relate to both Johns. Like Flans, I act very open and wacky, and like Linnell I envelope myself w/ a sense of mystery. Hense my name. Mysterio Gal (fellow Subgenius & Happy Mutant) " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 21:27:07 -0400 Subject: NON TMBG:Thanx Message-ID: <19980421.212759.3214.2.gray42@juno.com> Hey Everybody, good news, My computer geek friend came over and showed me how to upload pic files, so I finally have the Linnell head up at my site. Thanx to everybody who tried to help, it was very considerate. My page right now is simply ok, nothing really special, and is under massive constuction, expect much more soon. visit it at http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 (I can't believe I memorized that!) Thanx again Mysterio Gal (fellow Subgenius & Happy Mutant) " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: TerryTMBG Message-ID: Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 22:00:25 EDT Subject: TMBG: Various musings Hey everyone!!! I am a digest loser, so any facts presented here may be common knowledge by now, but please don't kill me. Anyhoo, I have two major points: 1. Someone mentioned the Royal Crown Revue vs. the Amazing Royal Crowns. For starters, they are definitely *not* the same band. The only RCR (anyone remember the old NES game River City Ransom? But I digress. A real lot.) song I've heard is the previously mentioned "Barflies at the Beach," which I find terrible. I'm a bit more familiar with the Amazing Royal Crowns, who are from my home state (Rhode Island), and who I *think* are going to finally break nationally. Or maybe they already have. In any case, the Royal Crowns are freaking awesome, kind of a hillbilly punk. They were at the '97 Hatch Shell free concert, so if anyone else who was there wants to throw in their opinions, go right ahead. :) 2. So anyway, as a reward for putting up with my stupid (1) up there, I actually have some semi-TMBG content. The new _Rolling Stone_ with Jerry Springer on the cover has this little tidbit from their "The Industry" section on page 29: >> Like lots of indie labels, Restless Records grew frustrated watching its critically acclaimed acts (Spain, Lori Carson, Polaris) getting wooed by major labels offering more money. So it set out to find an investor. But instead of aligning itself with a major, as Matador, Ruffhouse, and scores of others have done, Restless made an unconventional move by partnering with a film company, New Regency Productions (_Natural Born Killers_, _L.A. Confidential_). Now, thanks to two new high-profile ventures - an imprint, G- Funk, run by rapper Warren G, and a deal to purchase Trauma Records (home to Bush) - the partnership is paying off, and Restless is poised to become a viable commercial power. (Terry's note: then two paragraphs about film studios and Warren G, with the following conclusion) [Restless co-president and CEO Joe] Regis agrees. "We're in the game now." << So here's what I'm thinkin': small label wants to become major. Needs high- profile act. I think if Bush had a new album coming out I would have heard of it, so I do believe that makes TMBG Restless's best chance at becoming a major in the short-term. So it looks to my naive and innocent eyes that Restless is going to do some heavy promotion for _Severe Tire Damage_, and since we all know TMBG is really cool, the album will probably do pretty well. Or at least I hope. And once again anyone else's input is appreciated. Okay, this is pretty long, and I'm sorry if it bored anyone. Best wishes to all! -Terry- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <353D7BC2.D40A7683@geocities.com> Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 22:10:29 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: Pittsburgh (last time, I promise) Jason F. wrote: > Ok people I just wanted to let anyone going to the Pittsburgh show > tomorrow that I'll be wearing a brown and white striped t-shirt and a > TMBG cap (and I'm 18)...Don't hesitate to say Hi. If anyone doesn't > know, I called the place and ALL (repeat ALL) of the tickets, student ID > or not, are only $2. The lady said you can buy tickets today or > tomorrow, she emphasized that there are PLENTY of tickets available. See > ya there! You know, I'm not too far from Pittsburgh right now, but I have a class from 6-9 PM, and no method of transportation. I wish I could be there, but I suppose no one in the world ever gets what they want, and that is beautiful. -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org or vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ Message-ID: <353D7E18.9DD5DFC3@geocities.com> Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 22:20:27 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: Nothing like the first time Harry wrote: > Okay, I thought I'd throw this one up the freak flagpole and see who salutes: > > Describe the first time you ever heard They Might Be Giants. You know, I'm not really sure. It was probably either on that darned ol' Tiny Toons thing, or on the kids' program on WXPN (a Philadelphia area radio station). I believe I had heard "Particle Man," "Istanbul," "Birdhouse," and "WDTSS?" before I came to college. Once there, I heard several songs by Them, since there were TMBG fans in my dorm. I also saw Them live. It wasn't until the summer after my freshman year that I actually bought a TMBG album, though. I kept thinking that I should buy one of Their albums, but I didn't actually get around to it until August (I think), when I purchased Then and Apollo 18. I loved them, and listened to them twenty thousand million times. When I came back to college, I bought Flood, John Henry, and Factory Showroom, and I'm still listening to all of them today (not all at once, though). -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org or vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 23:08:53 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Pittsburgh (last time, I promise) Message-ID: <19980421.231130.3174.0.yoda89@juno.com> From: yoda89@juno.com (James C Stiffey) I will be there. Hopefully student ID is not REQUIRED to buy tix. I'll be wearing Brown, baggy dockers with cut bottoms and a 'call me ishmeal' pin attached to them, a white TMBG shirt with face on back, and a white Arizona Cardinals hat. I am 18, perced eyebrow, and am looking foreward to meeting listees. --- Love is like a snowmobile ride through the north. All of a sudden it flips over, trapping you underneath......At night, the Ice Weasels come. On Tue, 21 Apr 1998 15:48:56 PDT "Jason F." writes: >Ok people I just wanted to let anyone going to the Pittsburgh show >tomorrow that I'll be wearing a brown and white striped t-shirt and a >TMBG cap (and I'm 18)...Don't hesitate to say Hi. If anyone doesn't >know, I called the place and ALL (repeat ALL) of the tickets, student >ID >or not, are only $2. The lady said you can buy tickets today or >tomorrow, she emphasized that there are PLENTY of tickets available. >See >ya there! > > > >--Jason-- > >"Hot Cha, where are you? Everybody's eyes are closed." > -They Might Be Giants > > > >______________________________________________________ >Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com > _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG--First time. Message-ID: <19980421.204947.5023.3.dayomont@juno.com> From: dayomont@juno.com (Matte Black) Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 23:52:38 EDT First, what is supposed to happen when listening to Apollo 18 on random? Next, my story of TMBG discovery. When VH1 first started airing, I saw the video to Istanbul. I must have 7 or 8, so I had no idea about anything (I still don't, but I do know a lot of great bands). Finally, maybe five years later, I was on staff of at scout camp (boy scouts of america), and one of the other staff members had hauled a CD player up and had Flood. I heard Particle Man and was hooked. He played Istanbul and I was shocked to realize that it was the song to the crazy video I had seen so many years before. I vowed to purchase the album the instant I got home. It is now 8 albums and quite a few years later and I am still hooked. That is all for now. Matte Black. _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #5-20 *****************************