Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #5-21 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 5, Number 21 Thursday, 23 April 1998 Today's Topics: Non TMBG: Rob Plass, please email me TMBG: So who writes the songs? Re: TMBG: So who writes the songs? TMBG: So who writes the songs? Re: TMBG: So who writes the songs? -Reply TMBG: Class Song / John vs. John / How I Came to Know TMBG Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG--First time. TMBG: Columbus Show Re: TMBG: So who writes the songs? Re: tmbg-list Digest #5-20/Subject: NON-TMBG: Long time, no see... :) Re: TMBG: So who writes the songs? TMBG: First time (wow- i wrote a little story) Re: TMBG: Columbus Show Re: TMBG: Nothing like the first time TMBG: The Stick... TMBG: Nothing like the first time TMBG: Columbus Set List Re: TMBG: The Stick... Re: TMBG: Columbus Show TMBG: My Prediciton Re: TMBG: the anti-swinging argument (none) Re: TMBG: The Stick... Re: TMBG: Columbus Show TMBG: Re: TMBG : minimum wage Re: TMBG: First time (wow- i wrote a little story) NON-TMBG: RCR TMBG: Don't Let's Start... Re: TMBG: Nothing like the first time TMBG: Re: TMBG: Token to Brooklyn... Re: TMBG: Token to Brooklyn... Re: TMBG: Johns:relating to NON TMBG: Re: TMBG : minimum wage Re: TMBG: Don't Let's Start... Re: TMBG: Don't Let's Start... TMBG: Pittsburgh, take 2 Re: TMBG: Don't Let's Start... Re: TMBG: Don't Let's Start... Re: TMBG: Don't Let's Start... Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: NitpickR Message-ID: Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 02:50:04 EDT Subject: Non TMBG: Rob Plass, please email me Hello 41- Excuse me for wasting most people's time, and using this as a finding thing... Rob, when I wrote down your email address, I found later I couldn't read my own writing. Go me. So please mail me. Thanks, Adam ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 11:00:30 +0000 Subject: TMBG: So who writes the songs? Please excuse this question from someone fairly new to TMBG, but until someone (sorry can't work out who!) wrote : " it's only been linnell songs that have gotten "popular" (i'm > talking particle man and birdhouse) i dunno... Those are certainly the two most popular, but not among TMBG fans, of whom the mailing list is composed. Among fans I don't think Linnell songs are the clear victors, although I would say that they probably are still more popular than Flans songs, even among fans." I had naively assumed that when it says on the CDs that songs are written by TMBG that this was the case. So how do I work out who writes what? Is there a definitive list album by album somewhere? It was bad enough trying to work out the split on the Lennon/McCartney songs and now this!! Help please someone. Thanks. Richard Hilton ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 05:12:54 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: So who writes the songs? Message-ID: <19980422.051304.12174.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) >So how do I work out who writes what? > basically they write the same songs that they sing on... it only gets a lil tricky when you get a song like S~E~X~X~Y where they both kinda sing... (btw flans wrote that one) >Is there a definitive list album by album somewhere? i think there is a "who sings what" list, although i'm not sure how up to date or how accurate that list is... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ::::The Official Gum Bubble:::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 11:57:32 +0000 Subject: TMBG: So who writes the songs? Please excuse this question from someone fairly new to TMBG, but until Harf recently wrote : " it's only been linnell songs that have gotten "popular" (i'm talking particle man and birdhouse) i dunno...Those are certainly the two most popular, but not among TMBG fans, of whom the mailing list is composed. Among fans I don't think Linnell songs are the clear victors, although I would say that they probably are still more popular than Flans songs, even among fans." I had naively assumed that when it says on the CDs that songs are written by TMBG that this was the case. So how do I work out who writes what? Is there a definitive list album by album somewhere? It was bad enough trying to work out the split on the Lennon/McCartney songs and now this!! Help please someone. Thanks. Richard Hilton ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 12:58:44 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: So who writes the songs? -Reply Thanks for this. But to get started I need to know whose voice is whose! And it's not as though they play in the UK very often so I can go and check them out. Richard >>> "tmbgirl@juno.com" 22/April/1998 12:29pm >>> >So how do I work out who writes what? > basically they write the same songs that they sing on... it only gets a lil tricky when you get a song like S~E~X~X~Y where they both kinda sing... (btw flans wrote that one) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ::::The Official Gum Bubble:::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: ArwenAnaNg Message-ID: <94fe8682.353de895@aol.com> Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 08:54:43 EDT Subject: TMBG: Class Song / John vs. John / How I Came to Know TMBG Hullo all... Well, to start, my evil 1986 graduation song was "The Greatest Love of All" by Whitney Houston! ::gag:: Of course, it was the following year that some kid went loopy and shot and killed the principal. Coincidence?? I think NOT! << I love Linnel, but I have to say, I prefer Mr. Flansburgh, not by much though...it's a really tough call...They wouldn't be called They without both of them, They would be called He Might Be Giants or something.>> Go Jason! I completely agree. To say that either one is "better" is just plain wrong. I'll admit I was rather peeved at the post claiming << it's hard for me to respect him as a musician, however, knowing the bit that i know.>> What kind of nonsense is THAT?? Musical ability goes far beyond one's talent with one (or more) particular instrument(s)! Both Johns are not simply "musicians", they are COMPOSERS! They created a sound so new to this world that people are still trying to find a way to classify it, and it may never have come to be if it were not for BOTH of them! Now for the brief history of my TMBG introduction: Back around 1990, I was in the midst of a bad relationship, very depressed, and I listened to Nine Inch Nails "Pretty Hate Machine" a lot. My girlfriend came over to cheer me up and brought Flood. ("Hello, my name is Arwen, and I'm a Floodie", audience "Hello, Arwen!") At first, I was in such a funk that I didn't really like it... that is, until I heard "Minimum Wage". I began laughing so hard that I cried! She left the CD with me, and I never gave it back. (In fact, I still have it to this day!) As an aside, "Minimum Wage" is a very good "conversion" song to get people interested in Them. Arwen "I just had my first espresso ever, and I still think No-Doz is a better caffeine rush!" AnaNg ------------------------------ Message-ID: <353E1B3D.C2CEC8FC@geocities.com> Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 09:30:55 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG--First time. Matte Black wrote: > First, what is supposed to happen when listening to Apollo 18 on random? You just hear all of the songs in random order. The cool part is that each Fingertip counts as a separate song, so they are all played separately. -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org or vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ Message-Id: <353DF668.14E9BB09@columbus.rr.com> Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 09:53:44 -0400 From: Brian Evans Organization: Swingers Subject: TMBG: Columbus Show Hey everyone, Well, once again it was great! Didn't see anyone from the list tho, where was everyone!? :) Now tell me something, is it just me or did this show seem short to everyone, I dunno, maybe it's cause I was so into it. I mean, I got into the pit right after SEXXY and boom, seemed like the show was over in no time. I guess all great things must come to an end... Anyhoo, there were a few songs I noticed were missing this time, again leading me to believe the show was shorter than normal. For example, no Don't Let's Start, She's an Angel and I believe no Istanbul (not sure about this tho). Did see Flans giving autographs after the show but got ushed out the door before could get over there...anyone get an autograph last night? Also, was anyone on this list the two girls I saw in front of me with set lists?...one girl had on a white t-shirt that's all I can tell ya. Oh well, I've said enough Later, Brian AOLIM : BriBri23 ICQ# : 427732 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199804221415.KAA25608@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 09:16:18 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: So who writes the songs? >I had naively assumed that when it says on the CDs that songs are >written by TMBG that this was the case. > >So how do I work out who writes what? According to John & John, usually the person who is the lead singer for the song is the one who wrote it. There are probably excpetions and special cases, but generally speaking if Linnell sings a song, then he wrote it, and if Flansburgh sings it, then he wrote it. Harf, Mitch ------------------------------ Message-ID: <353DFDED.53333558@btc.adaptec.com> Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 08:25:49 -0600 From: Russ Josephson Organization: Adaptec, Inc Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #5-20/Subject: NON-TMBG: Long time, no see... :) > Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19980421141947.007965a0@email.psu.edu> > Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 14:19:47 -0400 > From: "J. L. Moquin" > Subject: NON-TMBG: Long time, no see... :) > > Hi! Nobody here remembers me (*sigh*) but I'm back. How's that for > boring > news? :D Anyway, I was on the list for a year or more, mostly going > So, what did I miss? Is there a video compilation vol. 3, Russ? Hi Jennifer, Yes, Vol 3 has been available for several months now. Check out my web page for the info. I also have both the '96 and '97 Hatch Shell videos on one tape now. Russ > -jennifer, mommy to alice the bean, 8/15/97 > http://www.emprl.psu.edu/~anth/ > mailto:jls5@psu.edu > -- WORK: HOME: Adaptec, Inc. Russ Josephson 1951 S. Fordham St. 1217 N. Aspen Dr. Longmont, CO 80503 Berthoud, CO 80513-1040 Phone: (303) 684-4722 (970) 532-0453 Fax: (303) 684-3020 (970) 690-1509 (cellular) mailto:russj@btc.adaptec.com mailto:russj@juno.com http://www.adaptec.com http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158 ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9804221415.AA15286@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: So who writes the songs? Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 10:15:32 -0400 (EDT) > Thanks for this. But to get started I need to know whose voice is whose! > And it's not as though they play in the UK very often so I can go and > check them out. > Richard > > >>> "tmbgirl@juno.com" 22/April/1998 12:29pm >>> > >So how do I work out who writes what? > > > basically they write the same songs that they sing on... > it only gets a lil tricky when you get a song like S~E~X~X~Y where they > both kinda sing... (btw flans wrote that one) It's difficult to tell exactly who wrote a majority of TMBG songs. Both Johns put so much effort into their music and writing lyrics that I'm sure only they really know which one wrote a song, or wrote part of a song. I mean, what really constitutes a Flansburgh song or a Linnell song? I suppose you could look at a particular style of a song, or who sings it, or other factors. Occassionally they will say who wrote a song in an interview or at a concert and that's really the only true way to tell who wrote the song. I suppose that if one of them wrote out the lyrics and music and then brought it to the other band members then that would pretty much determine who's song it was. But what if one wrote the lyrics and the other the music? Or they just sat down and jammed and both came up with various parts of a song? I believe it was 'Rat Patrol' that They said in an interview was written by both of them, but I'm not sure to what degree. I'm guessing that a majority of the work on a majority of the songs are written by each one, but that's just my guess. It's generally believed that the singer of each song is the writer but again, we don't know that for sure. You can, at least, check the Who Sings What? portion of www.tmbg.org to find that information out. -Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: Robert Plass Subject: TMBG: First time (wow- i wrote a little story) Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 10:55:40 -0400 Hello exquisite living people, My 1st experience with TMBG goes kind of like this: I used to live out on Long Island when I was a teenager and all I did in the mid-to-late eighties was hop on the train and go into "The City." I used to hang out with people I didn't even know, friends of my cousin's friends, etc. Those days, it was all: "meet me here," "meet me there," "yeah, right," "do you have ID?" "Score some J?" Sleeping on the street and telling my mom from a payphone the next day, yeah, I stayed with a friend. Not so bad if someone keeps an eye open and it ain't too cold. Learnt the names of all the street garbage, knew who could get you the good stuff, knew who had a leftover this or that to occupy our time. Artists, coming, going, they all sucked. One guy printed a circle on his dot matrix printer, tried to sell it for $100, what trash! Another who welded a bar to a garbage can and called it a career. Jerks. So-and-so's mom's nuts, she don't care if we hang out here. So, I found myself sneaking into clubs, bars, bodegas for 16oz Buds - if it wasn't nailed down, we'd drink it, smoke it, once we filled a grocery wagon with frozen shrimp and let it sit in the cereal aisle and thought it would be funny if it all spoiled and stank. Spent my weeks in class, front row, straight A's, no detention, marched in the band. Weekends, forget it, it was "all-the-downtown-food- you-can-eat-with-the-money-you-stole-from-your-mother's-wallet" and hoping that a quick Friday afternoon shower could last you until Sunday night, when the haze would clear on the train ride back and a tiny bottle of mouthwash was your best friend. Somewhere along the way, punk was dying out, all the rock sucked and jazz cost more than a spaldeen rubber ball, so that sucked, too. Who knows who it was I followed into a club on the Lower East Side or what he said to get me to go in or how much resistance was worn out of me from a night of just trying to keep alive inside, but there it was, the gentle pressure of a scrunched up smile that I felt closing the vision in my right eye. Two complete idiots and the occassional keyboardist accompaniment, an offstage drum machine - totally different, definitely a new band I'd never seen 100 times before who had captured something in the crowd, like, "Here's an experiment we're brave enough to do in public. Those of you out there, well, fuck you, this music is only for people who like it." The first TMBG song I ever heard? Gimme a break, songs didn't mean anything, words meant even less. It was the experience, the crowd, the air, the momentum, the scene, yeah, man, the scene - that was it all, never wanted it to end, man. The scene was the thing, you know? Like I felt I was part of something, how many others are with me? Can't nobody snap me out of this, how intense can I get, what if I fall into it and there ain't no bottom - what a rush! Jam yourself inside a smaller club than the last time heart pounding - here comes that rush again, ain't nowhere I'd rather be, all the stuff I gotta do poppin' into my head making me feel all guilty, ah, I can stay up late Sunday night and do it all. Thank you, God, I'm not bored! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <353E3615.2452@fuse.net> Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 11:25:25 -0700 From: Jay Organization: The Confounded Bridge Subject: Re: TMBG: Columbus Show Brian Evans wrote: > > Hey everyone, > i was there--the guy with a big ass trying to push the moshers away. ;) i did get a few strange looks last night ... one from a young couple--well, older than me, still young--whom i attempted to protect from the rowdy crowd by keeping said crowd at bay; they looked at me, i saluted, and they looked at me again. i swear, you'll all think me delusional, but at the beginning of the show i looked linnell right in the eye and smiled--and i swear, he looked back and did the same. call me beyond insane, but it seemed that way. :) > Did see Flans giving autographs after the show but > got ushed out the door before could get over there...anyone get an > autograph last night? i did catch flans doing autographs at the end of the show, and got both my ticket stub and new shirt signed. he ignored me, though, opting for a two second handshake, while mumbling "hi, how ya doin." ignored by greatness ... shoved away as if i'm nothing, unworthy of his even touch. *sob* > Now tell me something, is it just me or did this show > seem short to everyone, I dunno, maybe it's cause I was so into it. > I mean, I got into the pit right after SEXXY and boom, seemed like the > show was over in no time. I guess all great things must come to an > end... > Anyhoo, there were a few songs I noticed were missing this time, again > leading me to believe the show was shorter than normal. yeah, they played istanbul. i think you were right--the show really was shorter than normal. they only played two hours, while i'm used to three hour shows. ah, well.. james ensor--if i can remember right--was the only song they played from john henry. :( i did see a person or two whom i believed was from the list, but refrained to say hi due to shyness. love and good happiness stuff, jay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <353E1C40.3AC5601C@sdrc.com> Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 12:35:13 -0400 From: Matthew Burkart Organization: Structural Dynamics Research Corporation Subject: Re: TMBG: Nothing like the first time My first time and my little brothers first time and a couple of my sisters first time was when one of my other sisters would come home from Ball State and we would sit around playing Hand and Foot, the card game, while listening to Flood. Now we all try to go to as many concerts as we can and get all the music that we can. Flans is better, since I cant tell them apart on the radio, and because he is funner at concerts. Matt Burkart ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot Message-ID: <5fcf34ec.353e2708@aol.com> Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 13:21:10 EDT Subject: TMBG: The Stick... Ok, here's an interesting topic for some discussion. We all know TMBG use the stick during "Lie Still, Little Bottle," & one time they used it for "O Tannenbaum." But anyway, I was thinking about other songs stick accompanyment might sound good on (I know that if TMBG did use the stick on all these songs, it would probably trivialize it, but it's just for sake of discussion): "Mammal," "Whistling In the Dark," & the slow version of "Meet James Ensor." Anyone else's thoughts on this (for that matter have they used the stick in any other songs???) jason "not the stick" glastetter ------------------------------ Message-ID: <353E38A1.3DAD@erols.com> Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 14:36:17 -0400 From: Zydell Subject: TMBG: Nothing like the first time My First: The first time I heard TMBG I was working in some Pizza joint in high school (I think this was 1989). This pizza delivery guy, who was a couple years older than I, told me I HAD to listen to this song. Well this guy was this artsy student at the local university majoring in film, and well, I thought he was the living end. I was so excited that he wanted to share this music with me that really meant something to him! After I heard it I was hooked. That cute film major is well off on his cinematography career, but he gave me a gift I will always treasure...John and John. Thanks Marco! Nancy ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 15:34:29 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <3.0.16.19980422153231.31b7229c@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu> From: Harry Subject: TMBG: Columbus Set List Hey, everyone! Due to my extreme lameness, I didn't get my paper done yesterday which meant I was self-banned from enjoying They at the Newport last night. (I did get the paper done between the hours of 8 and 10, though, whilst listening to They.) Can anyone who went re-construct a set-list for me? (Or, dream of all dreams, did anyone boot it?) Thanks. Hair Knight "There's a place for amatuers who love Knight.49@osu.edu their poetry - It's just across from Justahobby@tmbg.org the sign that says, 'Pros Only'" http://members.tripod.com/~jahobby -They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 16:16:16 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <3.0.16.19980422161417.31b7192a@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu> From: Harry Subject: Re: TMBG: The Stick... Okay. Here's where I suck. I last saw They last year in Columbus and They were stickless. Back then, the coolest new stuff they had come up with was the Beatles Bow for the end of "James K. Polk". ("OK, good. Now we want everyone to bow back at us...oh, very good...") Either way, I've heard of the stick. I've seen pictures of the stick. But, alas, I don't know what they do with the stick. However, it sounds like it's an updated version of "The Rock Metronome". (Anyone remember that?) Hair Knight "There's a place for amatuers who love Knight.49@osu.edu their poetry - It's just across from Justahobby@tmbg.org the sign that says, 'Pros Only'" http://members.tripod.com/~jahobby -They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980422151920.0069bac8@pop.indy.net> Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 15:19:20 -0400 From: rachel Subject: Re: TMBG: Columbus Show jay wrote: i did see a person or two whom i believed was from the list, but >refrained to say hi due to shyness. > ha! i thought i saw you but there could've been a 2% chance i was wrong so i didn't say anything. let me be the 3rd or 4th person to say that the show fucking ruled. i was kinda pissed at the begining because of all the moshing people but i got over it and moved to the back. it was still a totally rocking show even though i wasn't upfront anymore. after the show was the best though. my friend and i went outside right afterwards and then found out flans was inside giving autographs, so we waited inside the doors for the secqurity guy to look the other way so we could sneak back in, sure enough about 30 minutes later he did. when we got in there were only about 5 or 6 people talking to flans while he was signing stuff. the first thing i said to him was (before he signed my shirt) "you look a lot shorter off stage." this prompted a long disscussion about other people who looked shorter/ taller in person. i won't get into all the details but i also asked about why mono puff's new album had been delayed for so long and he started explaining printing processes and how everytime they tried to print the cover it looked like "total shit." i also asked (half jokingly) when mono puff was going to open for tmbg. he said "when people start buying our albums" after which every one in ear shot protested "hey! we do!" then he asked me if i had ever seen them live to which i sadly replied "no, because you've only played in new york" and he says "well, you gotta come up and see us sometime" and i'm thinking "yeah, new york, like i go right by there." oh yeah, and i also asked when tmbg were going to be at bogart's next and he said in the fall. so then he shook my hand and said "it was nice talking to you," and i departed, grining wildly. so that was my semi-interview with flans. sorry it took so long. :) lovies, rachel ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 16:32:08 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <3.0.16.19980422163007.344fa87e@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu> From: Harry Subject: TMBG: My Prediciton TerryTMBG wrote: "So here's what I'm thinkin': small label wants to become major. Needs high- profile act. I think if Bush had a new album coming out I would have heard of it, so I do believe that makes TMBG Restless's best chance at becoming a major in the short-term. So it looks to my naive and innocent eyes that Restless is going to do some heavy promotion for _Severe Tire Damage_, and since we all know TMBG is really cool, the album will probably do pretty well. Or at least I hope." Except that, like you said, they gave Warren G his own imprint. My prediciton is that whatever Warren G, along with whoever he can pull over from Death Row (the record label, not the penal institution) will get as much publicity budget money as they can fork over and our Potential Giants will once again get Mr. Shaft. (A...a shaft..is a shaft...and no one has seen a talking shaft..unless..unless that shaft is the...famous...the famous...Mr. Shaft...) Hair Knight "I love the world and if I have to Knight.49@osu.edu sue for custody, I will sue for Justahobby@tmbg.org custody..." http://members.tripod.com/~jahobby -They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 16:21:06 -0400 From: Wayde Subject: Re: TMBG: the anti-swinging argument Message-id: <3.0.2.32.19980422162106.007e3d30@uoft02.utoledo.edu> >let me just state for the record that if any moron (or group of morons) >standing in front of me tomorrow night gets the bright idea to start this >swinging bullshit, i am going to be pissed. i mean, what the fuck? you know >what They shows are like - they're crowded as hell. swinging requires >space, and that's something you just can't have unless you wanna stand in >the back. which i don't. so you just go ahead and move to the back of the >room and swing your little heart out so that i can be that one step closer >to the almighty johns. if there's any swinging to be done anywhere around >me, it's going to be me swinging a bat down on their skulls. (see how i >tied in the skull thing? here, watch me do it again:) i'd be like "ay! turn >around motherfucker, there's a human skull on the ground." [bat decends >slow-motion-like upon said motherfuckers head, damage to cranium ensues] I agree...I would not have started swinging up front, that would just go against good concert conduct, if there is such a thing (I think there is!). Now after coming back from the columbus show last night [ and gettin Flansy to sign the back of my Food Town Plus card] I noticed many holes in the crowd where swinging could have occurred. It does not require as much space as people think. Of course it's better if there is more, but it's not necessary ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 17:47:58 -0400 Message-ID: <19980422.175121.4046.0.tmbg.jneill@juno.com> From: tmbg.jneill@juno.com (jenny neill) is anyone going to the adrain college show tomorrow night at 8:00? jenny _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980422174115.0069d208@130.127.28.14> Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 17:41:15 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: The Stick... At 04:16 PM 4/22/98 -0400, Harry wrote: >Okay. Here's where I suck. I last saw They last year in Columbus and They >were stickless. Back then, the coolest new stuff they had come up with was >the Beatles Bow for the end of "James K. Polk". ("OK, good. Now we want >everyone to bow back at us...oh, very good...") On the acoustic JKP performance on the Kit Kat Acoustic Break CD, they talk about doing the Beatles bow... >Either way, I've heard of the stick. I've seen pictures of the stick. >But, alas, I don't know what they do with the stick. When I saw them, they had a mic connected to it (by tape or cables or something), so when Flansie pounded it into the ground, you'd hear a really cool sound. :) TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 15:38:38 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Columbus Show Message-ID: <19980422.155726.3694.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) i think you were right--the show really >was >shorter than normal. they only played two hours, i would just like to say at this point that any one living on the eastern portion of the US SUCKS!!! uhm, a two-hour show is waaay long for TMBG... they typically will play a little under 90minutes (check the bootlegs!) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ::::The Official Gum Bubble:::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 15:31:47 -0600 Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG : minimum wage Message-ID: <19980422.155726.3694.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) >As an aside, "Minimum Wage" is a very good >"conversion" song >to >get people interested in Them. yeah, a local radio station (93.3 KTCL - denver, boulder, ft. collins if anyone cares) used to have this song that they would play every morning at 6am, 7am, and 8am that would go "hey baby wake up, come and dance with me..." then go straight into minimum wage... only thing is that every time someone would call in and ask who sang that song (which happened a lot more than one would expect) the dj would say "whipping boy" i just wonder if anyone out there went looking for the "whipping boy" cd... anyways, they stopped playing that song every morning cuz they fired that dj... he's in this band called "gestappo pussy ranch" they're actually semi-decent so if they ever come around to your town go see their gig! take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ::::The Official Gum Bubble:::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980423002952.6256.rocketmail@send1e.yahoomail.com> Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 17:29:52 -0700 (PDT) From: Amanda Nichols Subject: Re: TMBG: First time (wow- i wrote a little story) So, when are you publishing your memoirs? Seriously, though... It's quite a good read. :) Amanda "oh look. Bears." _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980422175836.006b59f4@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 17:58:36 +0000 From: Josh Morgan Subject: NON-TMBG: RCR > 1. Someone mentioned the Royal Crown Revue vs. the Amazing Royal Crowns. For I saw Royal Crown Revue at the Warped tour last year and quite frankly they kicked ass. the only band (out of the two dozen bands that performed at that show) that was better than RCR was the Vandals. > starters, they are definitely *not* the same band. The only RCR (anyone > remember the old NES game River City Ransom? But I digress. A real lot.) Holy S@#t do i ever remember River City Ransom?!?! i love that game. hell, i recently got the nintendo emulator for my pc just so i could play RCR again, like old times. > song I've heard is the previously mentioned "Barflies at the Beach," which I > find terrible. Have you ever seen the jim carrey's "the mask"? if the answer's 'yes', well then you've not only heard another Royal Crown Revue song, but you've seen them in action, cuz they're the band in the swing club where jim and cameron diaz dance to "hey, pachucco!" Josh Morgan ------------------------------ Message-ID: <353E9597.769D59A6@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu> Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 20:12:56 -0500 From: "SkinWalker; Texas Skin Ranger" Subject: TMBG: Don't Let's Start... Howdy. I'm relatively new here, so you'll have to deal. One thing I've been itching to talk to anyone about is the song Don't Let's Start. Every interp. I hear is always claiming it's a song about a guy who doesn't want to start a relationship with a flirty girl...but I think it makes more sense if you look at it from the perspective of a Father and his teenage daughter. The Dad is the one singing. I know you all know the words, so I'll refrain from belaboring a point, but if you go over line by line in this frame of mind it really falls into place. Am I insane or does anyone else agree? About the interp., not my sanity. Oh, my first time hearing the Giants was on the Mighty Morphin Power Ranger Soundtrack, SenSurround. I'd heard of them before that though, and despite the fact that I hadn't heard any of their songs I knew I would like them...it was just a hunch. SenSurround only reaffirmed by suspicion. I promptly bought all their CD's after that. Anyone know if They plan on coming to New Orleans anytime in the next three years. That would be keen. Okay. Bye. -Cornjob- "At the risk of sounding crazy, I'd like to replace my toes with grapes" ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 22:39:06 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Nothing like the first time Message-ID: <19980422.224654.3398.3.WonderWoman74@juno.com> From: wonderwoman74@juno.com (Peggy A Hartinger) Hi! I'm new to the list but a long time TMBG-fan. I thought I would put my two cents in and tell everyone how I discovered TMBG. It was probably about 1989/90 that I read about TMBG in Sassy magazine (Remember that one, girls? It was about the only cool teen magazine around. It had to be cool if it had TMBG in it!) Anyway, they had an article about them and it showed some pictures of them hanging out in Linnell's apartment. I wasn't so impressed that I rushed right out and bought their albulm, but when I did see Flood at the library I did pick it up and immediately loved it. _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <353ED4F3.14AE7ECE@geocities.com> Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 22:43:17 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: TMBG: Re: jenny neill wrote: > is anyone going to the adrain college show tomorrow night at 8:00? No. No one is going to that show. The Johns are going to be playing at the front of an empty theater. Well, I think I've fulfilled my wise-ass comment quota for the day. -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org or vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ Message-ID: <353EB2F8.8703820A@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu> Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 22:18:16 -0500 From: "SkinWalker; Texas Skin Ranger" Subject: TMBG: Token to Brooklyn... Okay...I know it's on Factory Showroom. I know it's track 0. Can anyone be anymore specific on how to get to it? I've tried on three different CD players and either I have rotten luck (which I do) or I'm not doing it right. I read the FAQ, and followed it to the letter to no avail. -Cornjob-? ------------------------------ From: Monotreme3 Message-ID: Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 23:20:41 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Token to Brooklyn... In a message dated 4/22/98 11:17:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time, wcornel@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu writes: > Okay...I know it's on Factory Showroom. I know it's track 0. > Can anyone be anymore specific on how to get to it? I've tried on three > different CD players and either I have rotten luck (which I do) or I'm > not doing it right. I read the FAQ, and followed it to the letter to no > avail. > > -Cornjob-? Basically it's just the negative part of S-E-X-X-Y. Press play and as soon as the CD starts hold down the rewind button or whatever. Go back about a minute or till it gets quiet. If it goes back to the beginning of S-E-X-X-Y, you've gone to far, and if you hear "get awaaaaaaay" you haven't gone far enough. Okay? Okay? Okay. -Carey ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980422223924.006a37bc@pop.indy.net> Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 22:39:24 -0400 From: rachel Subject: Re: TMBG: Johns:relating to Mysterio Gal wrote: >I find that I can actually relate to both Johns. Like Flans, I act very >open and wacky, and like Linnell I envelope myself w/ a sense of mystery. > Hense my name. > yeah, i drink my coffee like linnell does (that is, black with lots-o-sugar). but i suppose there's about 50 million other people on this planet who do too. not to discredit anything you said, but i think thats part of what makes tmbg so cool is that pretty much everyone can relate to either, if not both, of the johns- because they're so different. lovies, rachel ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 23:44:50 -0400 Subject: NON TMBG: Re: TMBG : minimum wage Message-ID: <19980422.235543.3246.0.jbparke@juno.com> From: jbparke@juno.com (Jeff Parker) > yeah, a local radio station (93.3 KTCL - denver, boulder, ft. >collins if anyone cares) used to have this song that they would play >every morning at 6am, 7am, and 8am that would go "hey baby wake up, >come and dance with me..." then go straight into minimum wage... That "hey baby wake up" thing sounds like it's probably from this alarm clock they used to sell at Spencer's at the mall... it was this chicken with a guitar and when the alarm went off it said "hey baby wake up, come and dance with me... yeah... cool" and then repeat until you went crazy and and smashed it against the wall... Thank you for listening to my very interesting (yeah, right) story... That's it... v^v Jeffro v^v "I could never sleep my way to the top, cuz my alarm clock always wakes me right up" _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980423035544.1934.rocketmail@attach1.rocketmail.com> Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 20:55:44 -0700 (PDT) From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: TMBG: Don't Let's Start... ---"SkinWalker; Texas Skin Ranger" wrote: > > Howdy. I'm relatively new here, so you'll have to deal. One > thing I've been itching to talk to anyone about is the song Don't Let's > Start. Every interp. I hear is always claiming it's a song about a guy > who doesn't want to start a relationship with a flirty girl...but I > think it makes more sense if you look at it from the perspective of a > Father and his teenage daughter. The Dad is the one singing. I know > you all know the words, so I'll refrain from belaboring a point, but if > you go over line by line in this frame of mind it really falls into > place. Am I insane or does anyone else agree? About the interp., not > my sanity. Hmmm, I always interpreted the song as coming from the other end of matters, i.e., guy finds out girl he thought was his has cheated on him and therefore he is going to have to end what he believed to be a wonderful relationship. How many of you out there, when really upset about something and confronted by someone about it (esp. if it's the person who upset you), respond with something to the effect of, "I don't wanna talk about it" (or at least know someone like that)? He knows he has to deal with this problem, but he doesn't want to confront her. At this point he's not interested in reasoning or listening to any explanation; he is just ranting ("Everybody dies frustrated and sad", "I don't want to live in this world anymore", etc.). The Dad thing is interesting, but I don't think it fits with some of the more self-deprecating lines. Of course, Their songs are almost always open to multiple interpretations "and that is beautiful." Danielle, inspector over the mine === URL: http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/1054/index.html "Well, we *could* just say that Americans are stupid, but that would be mean." --John Linnell _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 22:01:07 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Don't Let's Start... Message-ID: On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, SkinWalker; Texas Skin Ranger wrote: > Howdy. I'm relatively new here, so you'll have to deal. hallooo, cornjob! welcome to the list! :) i'm jim (kuemmerle, seeing as how there are three actively-posting jims)... > One thing I've been itching to talk to anyone about is the song Don't > Let's Start. Every interp. I hear is always claiming it's a song about > a guy who doesn't want to start a relationship with a flirty girl...but > I think it makes more sense if you look at it from the perspective of a > Father and his teenage daughter. The Dad is the one singing. I know > you all know the words, so I'll refrain from belaboring a point, but if > you go over line by line in this frame of mind it really falls into > place. Am I insane or does anyone else agree? About the interp., not > my sanity. hmm... i understand the connection to the chorus ('could believe for all the world that you're my precious little girl' and all that), but i'm afraid i don't see the connection to the verses or bridge... of course, for that matter, i don't quite buy that other interp either. it ignores just as much of the song. but for the part of the song that it deals with, i agree that your interp is quite valid. i'm going to let this one simmer for a while and see if i can come up with anything... (this one's going to be even more of a challenge than 'the biggest one' or 'stormy pinkness'!) --jim kuemmerle, ceremony of the clown people... (hi, arwen!!) j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu (p.s. don't visit my webpage for a while unless you've never been there. i reeeeeeally need to update it.) http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ SKULL MOUNTAIN: we'll meet at the end of the tour... http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/skullmountain.html ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 00:03:18 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: TMBG: Pittsburgh, take 2 So I just got back from what I'd consider the worst TMBG show I've ever been to... the energy was good, but the show wasn't much longer than Factory Showroom... 19 songs, 55 minutes. here's the actual setlist... SNAIL (NO INTRO) [ISTANBUL] NYC POLK ACTUAL SEXXY BATTLE BROOM / BIRD NO ONE / GUITAR PARTICLE DR. WORM DON'T / TIL ANA SPY / LIE / TO ALL TWIST / DIG ----------------- SHOE GIRL ----------------- EXQ LOST and here's what they played: snail shell / istanbul / new york city / james k. polk / she's actual size / rhythm section want ad / battle for planet of the apes / s-e-x-x-y / I am not your broom / birdhouse in your soul / the guitar / particle man / dr worm / til my head falls off / ana ng / spy / lie still, little bottle / twisting / dig my grave hmmmmmm, I notice some absences... some interesting notes... New York City rocked... maybe not for anyone else so much, but it has personal significance to me, so... :) Before James K. Polk, Linnell announced the confetti cannon, and pointed at a few of us who were standing near it, and during the song, I ducked a bit early, remembering exactly when it went off, but realized I had ducked a bit too early... so I stood up again, and Linnell motioned for me to duck again, thinking I wasn't really sure... :) She's Actual Size was amusing... during the drum solo, Flans tried to climb over the drum riser to get behind Dan, but tripped on one of the drum mics, knocking it over, and then he spent a few seconds trying to fix it, but couldn't figure out exactly where it was supposed to point... it was amusing... then when the vocals started again, Flans ducked behind his amp, holding his hand over it and pointing at people, and they slowed the tempo to about half of what it started as... and finished the song that way... after that, Flans asked what was next on the setlist, and someone in the audience shouted out "S-E-X-X-Y!" to which he responded "FUCK!. does someone in the audience have a setlist? Uhhhh... Let's do Rhythm Section Want Ad." and they played it. The keyboard solo was actually audible this time. :) in Battle for Planet of the Apes, the people won, as usual... (I don't know why they switched that with S-E-X-X-Y) during I Am Not Your Broom, Flans covered his ears for the last verse, and was horribly off key, but Linnell, being... well, Linnell, was able to match his pitch and tempo, because he was listening. :) and, as usual, during The Guitar, Flans held his guitar down and let someone strum it... and they did a *REALLY* good job... it was quite cool... Particle Man was typical... with the last Triangle Man verse done completely a capella... and during the last solo, Linnell stood up on his accordion case, first checking to make sure it could support his (minimal) weight... Dr. Worm was introduced with the Severe Tire Damage plug... it's coming out in August now... during one of the solos, Linnell jumped, reminiscent of the old days of TMBG... Then Flans started to make some intro about Duquesne being a religious school, with lots of underage drinking, and Linnell stopped him and made a whole bunch of hand signals, which they joked about... and they played Til My Head Falls Off. then the slow/quiet -> fast/loud -> fast/quiet version of Ana Ng Spy was cut short - no improv, and they started Lie Still, Little Bottle, but the stick refused to make any sound... so we all snapped our fingers for the song... Flans didn't seem happy about that... then, after some confusion, Hal told Linnell "Twisting" and they played that... and then played Dig My Grave, introducing it as "our last song." then the house lights came on and we all booed for a while... and left... both Linnell and Dan had gotten significant amounts of hair chopped off... Dan looked strange... Lincoln opened, and rocked, as usual... but the songs were very different without the lead guitar... Chris told a long story about Carversville before they played it... and someone shouted for Unhappy and he said "Yeah, I'll be unhappy in a couple of minutes..." During Lincoln's set, we were all sitting down in the chairs that were neatly placed in the room... when we went in, the security freaks told us we couldn't stand up at the barrier, but at the very end of Lincoln's set, everyone rushed the stage... The lighting during TMBG's show was incredible... totally new stuff... and Linnell not only had a new keyboard stand, but a new keyboard... I arrived early and as I was walking through the building trying to figure out where to go, I could hear something... but I couldn't quite tell what... it was loud, so it was obviously the sound check... the bass was really heavy... and there it was... "I've got something... to make you understand, something waiting there beneath the sand...." I just stood there in awe for a moment and listened, hoping they'd actually play Metal Detector during the show... but it wasn't even on the setlist... Then they did Til My Head Falls Off, which was... odd since they play it at every show, and I'd expect them to not need to practice it... and then, to check the accordion, they played Meet James Ensor.... fast! and mostly instrumental... it was cool... and then they soundchecked the stick, which seemed to work fine then... that's all for now... hope the next show is better (well, it would be hard for it to be worse...) Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Everything sticks until it goes away, * This space inadvertently And the truth is we don't know anything." -TMBG * left blank. ------------------------------ From: Strawbos69 Message-ID: <60fff0b1.353ebdbc@aol.com> Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 00:04:11 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Don't Let's Start... In a message dated 98-04-22 23:59:42 EDT, you write: << Hmmm, I always interpreted the song as coming from the other end of matters, i.e., guy finds out girl he thought was his has cheated on him and therefore he is going to have to end what he believed to be a wonderful relationship. >> AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! I'm not the only one who thinks this! I'm o.k. now. Just a brief bout of insanity, that's all... As for complaining about length of (or lack of) TMBG shows, try 59 minutes last time they were here on the West Coast. Although, Brian Dewan made up for part of it. "Could you guys back off on the Happy Smoke, just a little? Some of us are trying to work here" JF ------------------------------ Message-ID: <353EC08A.6EF726E7@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu> Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 23:16:10 -0500 From: the POWER Subject: Re: TMBG: Don't Let's Start... Allow me to elaborate: "When you're on the phone you are a cat you are the phone you are an animal/ the words I'm saying now mean nothing more than meow to an animal" -Teenagers, especially girls, not to be stereotypical, spend lots of time on the phone. When on the phone they are typically zoned out from reality. You can say what you want and it means nothing to them. "Wake up smell the cat food, in your bank account/ Don't try to stop the tail that wags the hound" - Okay, the dad is obviously supporting her (duh), and he might be trying to remind her ungrateful hinder. He doesn't want her to shatter his illusion that she's still his little darling...etc...(the whole wagging dog thing) "No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful/ Everybody dies frustrated and sad and that is beautifl" -Teenagers have the tendnency, due to the all the situations they have to deal with, to become depressive or brooding. I know I did so I could be cool and mysterious...that lasted a whole year. It could be they typical over-reaction to a parent's chiding....etc... And that's about it. I admit, it's a silly stretch, but I'm having fun free-styling it here. Most of these ideas fit with the other interps. of "trying not to end the relationship"...etc....I just thought it was amusing to get the visual of a father singing this song. All you hosers whining about the brevity of TMBG concert's can Bite Me. There are some of us less fortunate out here who haven't had the pleasure at all. If they don't come to New Orleans while I'm here at college I'm going to be livid. Not that that has ever accomplished much for me, maybe I'll be dark and brooding to attract attention instead. Pity sex always welcome. G'night folks. -Cornjob- J Kuemmerle wrote: > On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, SkinWalker; Texas Skin Ranger wrote: > > > Howdy. I'm relatively new here, so you'll have to deal. > > hallooo, cornjob! > > welcome to the list! :) i'm jim (kuemmerle, seeing as how there are > three actively-posting jims)... > > > One thing I've been itching to talk to anyone about is the song Don't > > Let's Start. Every interp. I hear is always claiming it's a song about > > a guy who doesn't want to start a relationship with a flirty girl...but > > I think it makes more sense if you look at it from the perspective of a > > Father and his teenage daughter. The Dad is the one singing. I know > > you all know the words, so I'll refrain from belaboring a point, but if > > you go over line by line in this frame of mind it really falls into > > place. Am I insane or does anyone else agree? About the interp., not > > my sanity. > > hmm... > > i understand the connection to the chorus ('could believe for all the > world that you're my precious little girl' and all that), but i'm afraid i > don't see the connection to the verses or bridge... > > of course, for that matter, i don't quite buy that other interp either. > it ignores just as much of the song. but for the part of the song that it > deals with, i agree that your interp is quite valid. > > i'm going to let this one simmer for a while and see if i can come up with > anything... (this one's going to be even more of a challenge than 'the > biggest one' or 'stormy pinkness'!) > > --jim kuemmerle, ceremony of the clown people... (hi, arwen!!) > > j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu > > (p.s. don't visit my webpage for a while unless you've never been there. > i reeeeeeally need to update it.) > > http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ > SKULL MOUNTAIN: we'll meet at the end of the tour... > http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/skullmountain.html ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 22:51:05 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Don't Let's Start... Message-ID: On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, the POWER wrote: > Allow me to elaborate: "lemme 'splain... no. there is too much to 'splain. lemme sum up..." --inigo montoya > "When you're on the phone you are a cat you are the phone you are an animal/ > the words I'm saying now mean nothing more than meow to an animal" > > -Teenagers, especially girls, not to be stereotypical, spend lots of time on > the phone. When on the phone they are typically zoned out from reality. You > can say what you want and it means nothing to them. good point, but for the record it's 'when you're all alone...' > - Okay, the dad is obviously supporting her (duh), (enter bad mental image of a dad accordion case and linnell in drag standing on top of him...) >snippage of other insightful comments< > And that's about it. I admit, it's a silly stretch, not so much. :) well, silly, perhaps, but not 'stretch'... > but I'm having fun free-styling it here. Most of these ideas fit with > the other interps. of "trying not to end the relationship"...etc....I > just thought it was amusing to get the visual of a father singing this > song. for some reason the father i picture is the one from the 'red meat' comic strip... *shudder*... --J, world destruction, Iver and iverture, M do i need a SPACE and then KUEMMERLE need this torture... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #5-21 *****************************