Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #5-22 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 5, Number 22 Friday, 24 April 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #5-21 TMBG: Stuck Without A Stick in California! Re: TMBG: Don't Let's Start... Re: TMBG: Stuck Without A Stick in California! Re: TMBG: Johns:relating to TMBG: 55 minutes is better than nothin' Re: TMBG: 55 minutes is better than nothin' Re: TMBG: So who writes the songs? TMBG: a TMBG dream, sorta ReALLY NON-TMBG: RCR (not River City, sorry) TMBG: Pittsburgh thoughts TMBG: They Might Be Pissed Off (Pittsburgh) Re: TMBG: Pittsburgh thoughts Re: TMBG: Pittsburgh thoughts TMBG: SpringFest '98 (fwd) TMBG: They Might Be Pissed Off (Pittsburgh) Re: TMBG: They Might Be Pissed Off (Pittsburgh) Re: TMBG: a TMBG dream, sorta TMBG: code word TMBG: Quick post (not, but power...) Re: TMBG: code word Re: TMBG: Johns:relating to Re: TMBG: 55 minutes is better than nothin' Re: TMBG: LIST? Re: TMBG: They Might Be mad at each other TMBG: Cornell Show Re: TMBG: They Might Be Pissed Off (Pittsburgh) Re: TMBG: Cornell Show Re: TMBG: Johns:relating to 1/10 TMBG:Subgenius, & Doglas Adams TMBG: TMBGGTTG... Re: 1/10 TMBG:Subgenius, & Doglas Adams Re: TMBG: Johns:relating to TMBG: There Is No Right Or Wrong... TMBG: Double Dong article Re: MEGANON-TMBG:Subgenius, & Doglas Adams TMBG: I love John Henson... Re: TMBG: I love John Henson... Re: TMBG: I love John Henson... Re: 1/10 TMBG:Subgenius, & Doglas Adams Re: TMBG: Nothing like the first time Re: TMBG: There Is No Right Or Wrong... Re: TMBG: Johns:relating to Re: 1/4 TMBG: Doglas Adams & may TMBG tourdates Re: TMBG: Johns:relating to/ delaware oh show Almost NON TMBG: The Man... TMBG: TMBG Concert? TMBG: Delaware, OH Show Re: TMBG: TMBG Concert? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 02:57:37 +0100 From: beknowles@vassar.edu (Ben Knowles) Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #5-21 Message-id: <01IW6YW39IQQ00D4CK@VASSAR.EDU> >That "hey baby wake up" thing sounds like it's probably from this alarm >clock they used to sell at Spencer's at the mall... it was this chicken >with a guitar and when the alarm went off it said "hey baby wake up, come >and dance with me... yeah... cool" and then repeat until you went crazy >and and smashed it against the wall... aaaauuughhh!!!! you've heard that damned alarm clock too? my parents buy them for people as gag gifts (it's a fun thing to hide somewhere in the bedroom of, say, a newlywed couple, and set it to go off at 5am). anyway, it's absolutely the most obnoxious thing on the planet. and loud. wow. i hate that fucking thing. just thinking about it gives me a headache. i heard tmbg for the first time in Des Moines, Iowa, where i'm from. how's that for a weird story? shouts out to all my brothas and sistas up in iowa city. peace to my homiez in ames. iowa reprazent. word. ben (who's brain is not available at this time. please try again later...) *%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%* | | | "Every jumbled pile of person Ben Knowles - Vassar College | | has a thinking part that wonders beknowles@vassar.edu | | what the part that isn't thinking Physics - Astronomy | | isn't thinking of." - TMBG Philosophy - Metaphysics | | | *%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%* ------------------------------ Message-ID: <353F2CE6.330CAD8A@pacificnet.net> Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 03:58:35 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Stuck Without A Stick in California! > > Ok, here's an interesting topic for some discussion. We all know TMBG use the > stick during "Lie Still, Little Bottle," & one time they used it for "O > Tannenbaum." But anyway ... > > jason "not the stick" glastetter > We ALL know this? I'm in California where this stick shtick hasn't been seen (that I know of). I've skimmed through digests where I've seen mentions of a "stick" but I haven't a clue what or who it is. I can't recall seeing an explanation of it. Is there a picture of it on the web somewhere? We also haven't yet heard Worm, Apes, Lies, Triboro, Broom and a lot of other stuff. Keep in mind not every TMBG fan is a net user and many of them don't even know this new material exists. Anyway, this is my latest in a series of ongoing complaints on why TMBG don't get out West. If I'm wrong, someone correct me but it seems that the last time TMBG were in California was **November of 1996** ... approximately a year and a half ago! Meanwhile, they are doing GAZILLIONS of shows in the east. Every Southern California show I've seen has been a sellout or near sellout. So what's the deal? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! -B O N G O [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <353F6E8A.DCF871E@geocities.com> Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 09:38:36 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: Don't Let's Start... J Kuemmerle wrote: > On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, SkinWalker; Texas Skin Ranger wrote: > > One thing I've been itching to talk to anyone about is the song Don't > > Let's Start. Every interp. I hear is always claiming it's a song about > > a guy who doesn't want to start a relationship with a flirty girl...but > > I think it makes more sense if you look at it from the perspective of a > > Father and his teenage daughter. The Dad is the one singing. I know > > you all know the words, so I'll refrain from belaboring a point, but if > > you go over line by line in this frame of mind it really falls into > > place. Am I insane or does anyone else agree? About the interp., not > > my sanity. > > hmm... > > i understand the connection to the chorus ('could believe for all the > world that you're my precious little girl' and all that), but i'm afraid i > don't see the connection to the verses or bridge... > > of course, for that matter, i don't quite buy that other interp either. > it ignores just as much of the song. but for the part of the song that it > deals with, i agree that your interp is quite valid. > > i'm going to let this one simmer for a while and see if i can come up with > anything... (this one's going to be even more of a challenge than 'the > biggest one' or 'stormy pinkness'!) According to Linnell, "Don't Let's Start" is about "not let's starting." Of course, that statement makes even less sense than the song itself, but I still found it amusing. -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org or vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ Message-ID: <353F4603.552E5161@megahits.com> Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 09:45:39 -0400 From: Lee Steel Organization: BetaLab Subject: Re: TMBG: Stuck Without A Stick in California! > We ALL know this? I'm in California where this > stick shtick hasn't been seen (that I know of). I've > skimmed through digests where I've seen mentions of a > "stick" but I haven't a clue what or who it is. I can't > recall seeing an explanation of it. Is there a picture of > it on the web somewhere? The stick is actually a tree about 8 feet tall with all the branches removed. Late last year, Flans was claiming it came from the woods of Pallisaides NJ. It has a microphone duck-taped to it which is processed through a drum trigger and some electronic MIDI drum machine sound is then applied (kind of like the old "Whip It Good" sound from the DEVO days). Mr.Flans procedes to roam around the stage thumping the stick on the floor and every time the stick makes contact there is this explosive drum sound. Typically at the end of Lie Still, Flans will sing into the microphone taped to the stick. Hope this is helpfull. -Mr.Lee ------------------------------ Message-ID: <353F6EDB.AEDD6BA9@geocities.com> Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 09:39:56 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: Johns:relating to rachel wrote: > yeah, i drink my coffee like linnell does (that is, black with > lots-o-sugar). but i suppose there's about 50 million other people on this > planet who do too. not to discredit anything you said, but i think thats > part of what makes tmbg so cool is that pretty much everyone can relate to > either, if not both, of the johns- because they're so different. You know, I think one of the Johns wears the same size water skis as me. -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org or vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ From: Monotreme3 Message-ID: <19730d35.353f5581@aol.com> Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 10:51:44 EDT Subject: TMBG: 55 minutes is better than nothin' In a message dated 4/23/98 12:04:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time, lps+@andrew.cmu.edu writes: > So I just got back from what I'd consider the worst TMBG show I've ever > been to... the energy was good, but the show wasn't much longer than > Factory Showroom... 19 songs, 55 minutes. > Frankly, I feel kinda bad that everyone's complaining about how short some shows have been. I mean... I would think that at least you got to see the show, so why complain about it? Now me, for example. I have something to complain about. I miss TMBG everywhere. And I'm gonna miss Pain and the Violent Femmes at Music Midtown. And... and... just... I've got no money. My cat died. My car died. My house died! My Geography 120 book died! I died! Again! Ahhhhh! -Carey ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980423153540.0072f940@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 10:35:40 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: 55 minutes is better than nothin' What is worse than 55 min. of TMBG playing? Well as I think of it most stuff is, TMBG is a great band, be happy to see 'em. Now if you wanted to complain try this one on for size: Do do do do, you got an empty weekend and so you mess around doing nuthin' all weekend, bored out of your mind. At the end of the weekend Your brothers friend comes by, and she starts talking about a TMBG show she went and saw that weekend. AND THE DAMN THING WAS FREE, I COULD HAVE EASILY HAVE GOTTEN THERE TOO! Also, one of my sisters friends sits and brags about seeing ATR whenever she is around me. I hate my siblings friends, they go see my two favorite and then rub it in on me. I hate them. Now quit yer whinin', LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-Id: <353f7e4a6920002@garnet.tc.umn.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: So who writes the songs? Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 12:45:46 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of a couple people: >>So how do I work out who writes what? > >basically they write the same songs that they sing on... >it only gets a lil tricky when you get a song like S~E~X~X~Y where they >both kinda sing... (btw flans wrote that one) Listen/read carefully to all interviews you can find; once in a while they mention who "wrote" a song. I use quotation marks since all non-cover songs are officially attributed to TMBG as a group, and it would be naive to suggest that J&J don't touch up/influence/revise songs together. The "primary" writer is usually (but not always) the singer, as tmbgirl noted. >>Is there a definitive list album by album somewhere? > >i think there is a "who sings what" list, although i'm not sure how up to >date or how accurate that list is... [...] >>Thanks for this. But to get started I need to know whose voice is whose! >>And it's not as though they play in the UK very often so I can go and >>check them out. Some video snippets are around on the 'net. (I think there are a few on www.tmbg.com.) I also maintain the Who Sings What list, and am in the process of moving the canonical copy to the www.tmbg.org server. It's been a while since They released any new material, though I don't have the T:TEY bonus tracks in there just yet. %% Chris Bongaarts %% Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu %% http://umn.edu/~cab %% U of Minnesota %% CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) %% Stop Plate Tectonics! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <353F9B59.10A2@polbox.com> Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 14:49:45 -0500 From: i close my door at night Organization: http://www.geocities.com/Wellesley/1790/ Subject: TMBG: a TMBG dream, sorta Hey everyone... This afternoon, during my nap, I had the most frustrating dream. First of all, my parents said I could go to the TMBG concert, but they had to accompany me. As I am nearly 19, this was very disturbing. They never act that way in real life. Secondly, it was pouring. Huge voluminous sheets of rain poured down as we inched along the interstate towards Des Moines for the concert. We followed the directions to the letter, and ended up in a cornfield. There was a big red tent in the field, so I thought that was where the concert was, but I had to take a shower, and there was only one shower, and there was a short boy from school who smokes quite a bit standing there, and he said we had to shower together, and he hoped I could be mature about it....Then I said I would wait until after he had gone, and I tried to call the Des Moines Register to find the actual venue of the concert. I didn't think this was the place after all, since there were only 5 cars in the field and no band anywhere in sight. The buttons on the phone were all out of order and ill-formatted, and there was a special "S" button I needed, and it wasn't on the phone. I couldn't move......my entire body became lethargic. It was like being stuck in a big tank of clear Jell-O. Then I woke up because the custodial worker in the hall was ramming the vacuum into my door over and over, as usual. This was a most depressing dream. Becky --------------- [ REKLAMA / ADVERTISEMENT ] ------------------ Polbox otwiera w Warszawie siec 12 wezlow Internetowych. Wiecej informacji pod adresem http://www.polbox.pl/98info.html * -------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 15:00:41 -0400 Subject: ReALLY NON-TMBG: RCR (not River City, sorry) Message-ID: <19980423.150202.4974.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> No one has answered my question about whether the lead singer always sings in that weasley New Yorker voice (like in Barflies at the Beach) because THAT would get annoying! I guess what I'm asking is whether to judge the band by that song.... which no one should ever do... but they do anyway Tim, that's what they make the tuna sandwhiches out of to make 'em taste good Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: Istanbul (CAN YOU BELIEVE IT???) Last CD purchase: Dr. Spocks... / Big Bad Voodoo Daddy - s/t On Wed, 22 Apr 1998 17:58:36 +0000 Josh Morgan writes: >> 1. Someone mentioned the Royal Crown Revue vs. the Amazing Royal >Crowns. > For > > I saw Royal Crown Revue at the Warped tour last year and quite >frankly >they kicked ass. the only band (out of the two dozen bands that >performed >at that show) that was better than RCR was the Vandals. > >> starters, they are definitely *not* the same band. The only RCR >(anyone >> remember the old NES game River City Ransom? But I digress. A real >lot.) > > Holy S@#t do i ever remember River City Ransom?!?! i love that >game. hell, >i recently got the nintendo emulator for my pc just so i could play >RCR >again, like old times. > >> song I've heard is the previously mentioned "Barflies at the Beach," >which I >> find terrible. > > Have you ever seen the jim carrey's "the mask"? if the >answer's 'yes', >well then you've not only heard another Royal Crown Revue song, but >you've >seen them in action, cuz they're the band in the swing club where jim >and >cameron diaz dance to "hey, pachucco!" > >Josh Morgan > > _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980423200243.29821.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Jason F." Subject: TMBG: Pittsburgh thoughts Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 13:02:42 PDT Yes, the Pittsburgh show was incredibly short. However, as one concert-goer pointed out when people booed at the lack of an encore: "People, we payed $2 to see this show". The show was indeed full of energy and although it was incredibly short, it was fun while it lasted. One member of my entourage (sp?) was very upset that they didn't play the rocking WDTSS because he's never heard it. Meanwhile another freind of mine went around after the show picking up all the shredded money he could find. I don't know what he thinks he's gonna do with it. Ummm...I think I saw Lawrence (you might have been sitting 2 seats away from me during Lincoln's performance but I wasn't sure). I was on the right about 5 rows back if you think you saw me. I just couldn't bring myself to ask a complete stranger "Excuse me, are you on the TMBG on-line mailing list? I have never seen you before but I think I know you". I just can't do that for fear of being looked at like a mindless cretin (although I do get that a lot). One friend of mine is just plain obsessed over "Birdhouse" and, this being his first concert, I swear I saw a tear in his eye as he heard Linnel begin singing "I'm your only friend, I'm not your only friend..." He always was the sentimental one. By the way first time hearing TMBG: Conan O'Brien, WDTSS --Jason-- "Hot Cha, where are you? Everybody's eyes are closed." -They Might Be Giants ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19980423163147.0079fea0@email.psu.edu> Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 16:31:47 -0400 From: The Flying Pollock Subject: TMBG: They Might Be Pissed Off (Pittsburgh) Last night was by far the worst TMBG show I've ever been to. I read that someone complained about a TWO HOUR show on Tuesday in Columbus. Ha. One hour of music was all we got. It was fun, but still... I see the pitiful setlist has been posted. TMBG played a fraction of the songs on the setlist and then called it quits. That happens to be the very first time I have ever not seen an encore. They had two of them scheduled, but refused to come out. However I have inside information into why exactly TMBG didn't play all their songs and then shafted us with the encores. I was waiting in the Union lobby around 5:15pm yesterday and Flans was there with some roadies. They were arguing with the Duquesne people. I didn't hear the reason WHY unfortunately, but I overheard one of them say after Flans took off "The band is upset and they want to go back to the hotel." I'd say this explains a lot with the way TMBG acted last night on stage. I thought Linnell was relatively unfriendly last night. Normally the John-chatter is quite frequent and amusing. Flans with his "Oh Fuck!" comment took some of us aback. The setlist is quite visible taped to the floor if you're in the first two rows. The most telling thing was when Flans began to introduce "Don't Let's Start" with the phrase "Now I know since we're at a religious institution there is lots of underage drinking...". Linnell cut him off, and that was the first part of the setlist where they skipped a song. Personally I rather wonder if this skipping of the songs isn't due to some sort of anger at Duquesne, especially with that "religious institution" comment. I noticed that there was NO conga line tonight. I was wondering if that was perhaps due to the infinite rows of chairs, which I had never seen at a TMBG concert before. I was thinking (and this is a reach) but perhaps Duquesne wouldn't let TMBG do the conga line thing, which pissed them off, so they tried to teach Duquesne a lesson by screwing us over on the set list. Whatever the reason TMBG was angry at Duquesne, it's not fair to take it out on us, the fans. I brought a friend to the concert so she could hear TMBG for the first time, and that was really uncool to have them not being themselves and only playing for ONE HOUR. She probably thinks they're assholes now. I'm sure Duquesne deserved some sort of retribution, but that's not the way. I hope their T-shirt sales suffered. c a s e y the disgruntled gianthead -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- From the desk of: Casey Grunnet -- The Flying Pollock Penn State University -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- "The few surviving samurai surveyed the battlefield. Count the arms, the legs and heads and then divide by five." --They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 23 Apr 98 17:04 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Pittsburgh thoughts > One friend of mine is just plain obsessed over "Birdhouse" and, this >being his first concert, I swear I saw a tear in his eye as he heard >Linnel begin singing "I'm your only friend, I'm not your only friend..." >He always was the sentimental one. Okay, I'll admit it - the first time I saw TMBG, which was when they opened for Hootie two years ago, I choked up when Linnell began "Birdhouse." It was an emotional experience.... Kirsten -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "You think you're so funny, but looks aren't everything." - Lincoln "Wish You Were Dead" Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow ------------------------------ Message-ID: <353FD8AD.7B28@fuse.net> Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 17:11:25 -0700 From: Jay Organization: The Confounded Bridge Subject: Re: TMBG: Pittsburgh thoughts Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: > > Okay, I'll admit it - the first time I saw TMBG, which was when > they opened for Hootie two years ago, I choked up when Linnell began > "Birdhouse." It was an emotional experience.... > > Kirsten > -- > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ did i mention that he looked me right in the eye and smiled? :) i almost cried after that .. heh. love and good happiness stuff, jay. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 17:18:48 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Woodward Subject: TMBG: SpringFest '98 (fwd) Message-id: With info straight from the source -- here's the skinny on the OWU show. Doors open at 1:30 pm and it is in the Branch Rickey Field House at Ohio Wesleyan (Delaware, OH). Lincoln is opening for them :) Take 23 until Central Ave. exit, drive to Sandusky street and take a left(south). Go past the William Streen intersection and talk a left at the second light at Park Avenue. Then, find a local college student and ask where the fieldhouse is :) The show is open to the public and free, and TMBG is co-billed with another band whose name I can't recall. Check the OWU web site if you want to know more. ---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 18:55:17 -0400 From: "Jeremiah G. Bargar" To: joshw@bgnet.bgsu.edu Subject: SpringFest '98 This concert is free and open to the public at large. We welcome off campus types like yourself (especially if you're a TMBG fan). Guess I'll have to make that more clear on the web site. ;) Jeremy, University Concert Committee ps - thanks for the compliment on the Fruvous show. It was my project in particular, and I was pleased to see the off campus interest in our event. ------------------------------ From: Jaluit 31 Message-ID: <23aa4827.353fb1ab@aol.com> Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 17:24:58 EDT Subject: TMBG: They Might Be Pissed Off (Pittsburgh) Last night was by far the worst TMBG show I've ever been to. I read that someone complained about a TWO HOUR show on Tuesday in Columbus. Ha. One hour of music was all we got. It was fun, but still... I see the pitiful setlist has been posted. TMBG played a fraction of the songs on the setlist and then called it quits. That happens to be the very first time I have ever not seen an encore. They had two of them scheduled, but refused to come out. However I have inside information into why exactly TMBG didn't play all their songs and then shafted us with the encores. I was waiting in the Union lobby around 5:15pm yesterday and Flans was there with some roadies. They were arguing with the Duquesne people. I didn't hear the reason WHY unfortunately, but I overheard one of them say after Flans took off "The band is upset and they want to go back to the hotel." I'd say this explains a lot with the way TMBG acted last night on stage. I thought Linnell was relatively unfriendly last night. Normally the John- chatter is quite frequent and amusing. Flans with his "Oh Fuck!" comment took some of us aback. The setlist is quite visible taped to the floor if you're in the first two rows. The most telling thing was when Flans began to introduce "Don't Let's Start" with the phrase "Now I know since we're at a religious institution there is lots of underage drinking...". Linnell cut him off, and that was the first part of the setlist where they skipped a song. Personally I rather wonder if this skipping of the songs isn't due to some sort of anger at Duquesne, especially with that "religious institution" comment. I noticed that there was NO conga line tonight. I was wondering if that was perhaps due to the infinite rows of chairs, which I had never seen at a TMBG concert before. I was thinking (and this is a reach) but perhaps Duquesne wouldn't let TMBG do the conga line thing, which pissed them off, so they tried to teach Duquesne a lesson by screwing us over on the set list. Whatever the reason TMBG was angry at Duquesne, it's not fair to take it out on us, the fans. I brought a friend to the concert so she could hear TMBG for the first time, and that was really uncool to have them not being themselves and only playing for ONE HOUR. She probably thinks they're assholes now. I'm sure Duquesne deserved some sort of retribution, but that's not the way. I hope their T-shirt sales suffered. c a s e y the disgruntled gianthead ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980423212937.11895.rocketmail@send1c.yahoomail.com> Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 14:29:37 -0700 (PDT) From: Amanda Nichols Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Pissed Off (Pittsburgh) I think your hunch is right, that TMBG were angry about something that school mishandled. Usually, this kind of thing would be handled by the management (the erstwhile Jamie Lincoln Kitman), it sounds like it was something that was addressed directly to the band. Maybe it was the conga line, but they've done plenty o' shows conga-less.. Perhaps there was a time limit or even some odd setlist disagreement. All we can do is speculate. I think that it's part of the reason for why they didn't do a long show. Putting myself in that position, I know I'd just do the minimum and scat as soon as humanly possible. I'd probably keep the witty banter down, too, as I may just start telling this crowd of strangers exactly what's on my mind and that's not what they paid for. Hmm.. well, you can't be the best all of the time, I suppose. or as Joel Robinson told Tom Servo: "Cheer up! There'll be other experiments!" Amanda == "Did he say 'disco lemonade?'"- The Debate Continues over "Sex and Candy" America's First Commercial College Radio Station WECB 99.9 FM/640 AM Business Line: (617) 824-8850 _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: sinister@digisys.net Message-Id: <199804232130.PAA28974@digisys.net> Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 15:25:45 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: a TMBG dream, sorta > > This was a most depressing dream. > > Becky > hey becky... you think your dream was bad? I once had an extrodinarily disturbing dream. I don't remember the details, but Flansburg was burned alive in a field while I watched (either on TV or right in front of me...I can't recall). He died a horrible horrible death and it was all over the news and they were never gonna tour again (so to speak). I've never seen them live, and I thought I never would, although I saw my hero dead. I woke in a cold sweat, depressed and angry. now I'm better. "Son I am able," she said, "though you scare me." "Watch," said I, "beloved," I said, "watch me scare you." "Though," said she, "able am I son." WMA ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 17:31:50 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <3.0.16.19980423172952.2adfeb68@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu> From: Harry Subject: TMBG: code word I keep seeing postings where all these people go, "I thought I saw you at yadda, yadda, but I'm so damn shy that I sat there and stared at you when you weren't looking." SO, here's my idea: The tmbg-list version of a secret handshake, code words. Immediately upon entering the general area of the venue for any given live show, yell out "Snail Shell!" If you hear this, the proper response would then be "Thank You!". Repeat until you find each other, Marco-Polo style. Hair Knight "There's a place for amatuers who love Knight.49@osu.edu their poetry - It's just across from Justahobby@tmbg.org the sign that says, 'Pros Only'" http://members.tripod.com/~jahobby -They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot Message-ID: Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 17:28:54 EDT Subject: TMBG: Quick post (not, but power...) Linnel's been doing a lot of jumping during Dr. Worm, it's a good song to jump around with an accordian to, I guess... My first TMBG experience (well, when I actually assoc. the songs with the band) were 3 songs almost next to each other: Birdhouse, Particle, & Fingertips. My friend bought the CD, I copied it, got home & had to reserve it-back order on cassette (it was a low time for TMBG in my area). ok, i had more to say but power is going out... jason ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 15:44:27 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: code word Message-ID: On Thu, 23 Apr 1998, Harry wrote: > I keep seeing postings where all these people go, "I thought I saw you at > yadda, yadda, but I'm so damn shy that I sat there and stared at you when > you weren't looking." (if iiiiii wasn't shyyyyyyyyy....) ah, so close and yet so far... do you know how much i'd like the chance to meet you people at a TMBG concert? you have no idea. > SO, here's my idea: The tmbg-list version of a secret handshake, code words. > > Immediately upon entering the general area of the venue for any given live > show, yell out "Snail Shell!" If you hear this, the proper response would > then be "Thank You!". this... this is a brilliant, brilliant idea. nick, i nominate harry for a 'the man'... --jim kuemmerle, who hopes those of you that actually get to see tmbg use this wonderful thing... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 15:31:58 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Johns:relating to Message-ID: <19980423.154914.3174.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) > >You know, I think one of the Johns wears the same size water skis as hahaa... i was just thinking something along those lines... i just think you guys are getting a lil confused... you're saying you relate to the johns themselves, but in realtiy (unless of course you know them personally) you're just relating to their music. you're mixing up their reality with their music. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html "Tu confonds tout... tu melanges tout!" --- le petit prince :) _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 15:34:32 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: 55 minutes is better than nothin' Message-ID: <19980423.154914.3174.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) >Frankly, I feel kinda bad that everyone's complaining about how short >some >shows have been. I mean... I would think that at least you got to see >the >show, so why complain about it? nonoo... i disagree.... well, i agree that they shouldn't be complaining... however i think that if the giants finally decided to come out to the west and they only played for an hour... then we'd be allowed to complain! :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html "What? life's not fair?" ---Amanda Berhenke _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 15:42:00 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: LIST? Message-ID: <19980423.154914.3174.3.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) >I just couldn't >bring myself to ask a complete stranger "Excuse me, are you on the >TMBG >on-line mailing list? I have never seen you before but I think I know >you". I just can't do that for fear of being looked at like a mindless > >cretin (although I do get that a lot). you people are soo shy! just go into the venue (or while you're waiting in line... that's always nice cuz listies are typically near the front) and start yelling "LIST?" believe me, it works... then you don't have to specifically address any certain person... so that now, instead of having only one person think you're a psycho you can have the whole rest of the audience thinking the same as well. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ::::The Official Gum Bubble:::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 15:47:53 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be mad at each other Message-ID: <19980423.154914.3174.4.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) >"The >band is upset and they want to go back to the hotel." >Whatever the reason TMBG was angry at Duquesne, it's not fair to take >it >out on us, the fans. uhm, bud, you have jsut assumed that the band is mad at duquesne... did you ever think that they might be mad at each other? based on what you've posted there's absolutely no way of knowing if they were pissed at Duquesne or at one another... just cuz they were arguing with the Duq. people... you never know... > I'm sure Duquesne deserved some sort of retribution, >but >that's not the way. I hope their T-shirt sales suffered. why would you hope that their T-shirt sales suffer? you like the band don't you? i don't understand that at all. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ::::The Official Gum Bubble:::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980423174911.00a0d890@mail.csrlink.net> Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 17:49:11 -0400 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: TMBG: Cornell Show Grrr. This makes me angry. The Cornell Concert Commission updates their page for the first time in a month, and it's bad news. This is from their page at http://www.rso.cornell.edu:8000/CCC/upcoming.html ------------------- SUNDAY, MAY 3 The Field House just TEN bucks what do you get? free refreshments an opening act (Lincoln) They Might Be Giants! BEER (for a little extra $) ...and on top of all that... A Dance Party to follow only $10 Tickets on sale NOW at WSH ticket desk open to ALL Cornell Sudents, regardless of class, age, race, religion, GPA, or other identifying characteristic This show presented by Class of '98 Leadership and Cornell Concert Commission as a Senior-sendoff event Call 607-255-7231 or email concert@cornell.edu for more info ------------------- I was hoping that I could just go and maybe have a student buy a ticket for me. But, with that whole Senior-sendoff thing, I'm doubting it. TMBG.Com has TWO shows showing on that date, but I doubt that even means anything. I mailed em, but I doubt I'll be able to go to that show. I couldn't go to the show last night cause it was a school night. I can't go to the Philly show cause it's rather far PLUS it's the night before I take the SATs. The Rochester show this Friday would be beautiful if it wasn't for the fact that it's a touch far away and I have to go somewhere this weekend. Aaaaargh. With FOUR promising dates, I'll see none of them. I doubt Mike Leffel ever had these sorts of problems seeing shows. Dylan "Re-naming myself Jim to augment the confusion" Flipse Dylan Flipse...one of them. - dflipse@csrlink.net Dylan's page is at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ for now. I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed -They Might Be Giants, the coolest thing this side of Zaphod Beeblebrox. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 18:22:11 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Pissed Off (Pittsburgh) Message-ID: <19980423.183154.3174.0.yoda89@juno.com> From: yoda89@juno.com (James C Stiffey) I thought the band looked upset during certain times in the show, one off the top of my head one bing when Linnel was pointing to get the spot on him during broom. The 'security' was a joke. at first being told we weren't allowed to stand, and then the sudden rush form the basketball team look-a-likes to the front, effectively blocking my view. Being scorned for standing on our chairs, because we were blocking people, and somehow still being allowed to flash pictures. I got a setlist, which was some redemption. But this definately qualifies as my worst TMBG show. Also, I'd liek to note the sound crew messed up the stick, and that it was a very un-they crowd. --- Love is like a snowmobile ride through the north. All of a sudden it flips over, trapping you underneath......At night, the Ice Weasels come. On Thu, 23 Apr 1998 17:24:58 EDT Jaluit 31 writes: > > >Last night was by far the worst TMBG show I've ever been to. I read >that >someone complained about a TWO HOUR show on Tuesday in Columbus. Ha. > > >One hour of music was all we got. It was fun, but still... > >I see the pitiful setlist has been posted. TMBG played a fraction of >the >songs on the setlist and then called it quits. That happens to be the >very >first time I have ever not seen an encore. They had two of them >scheduled, >but refused to come out. > >However I have inside information into why exactly TMBG didn't play >all their >songs and then shafted us with the encores. I was waiting in the >Union lobby >around 5:15pm yesterday and Flans was there with some roadies. They >were >arguing with the Duquesne people. I didn't hear the reason WHY >unfortunately, >but I overheard one of them say after Flans took off "The band is >upset and >they want to go back to the hotel." > >I'd say this explains a lot with the way TMBG acted last night on >stage. I >thought Linnell was relatively unfriendly last night. Normally the >John- >chatter is quite frequent and amusing. Flans with his "Oh Fuck!" >comment took >some of us aback. The setlist is quite visible taped to the floor if >you're >in the first two rows. > >The most telling thing was when Flans began to introduce "Don't Let's >Start" >with the phrase "Now I know since we're at a religious institution >there is >lots of underage drinking...". Linnell cut him off, and that was the >first >part of the setlist where they skipped a song. > >Personally I rather wonder if this skipping of the songs isn't due to >some >sort of anger at Duquesne, especially with that "religious >institution" >comment. I noticed that there was NO conga line tonight. I was >wondering if >that was perhaps due to the infinite rows of chairs, which I had never >seen at >a TMBG concert before. I was thinking (and this is a reach) but >perhaps >Duquesne wouldn't let TMBG do the conga line thing, which pissed them >off, so >they tried to teach Duquesne a lesson by screwing us over on the set >list. > >Whatever the reason TMBG was angry at Duquesne, it's not fair to take >it out >on us, the fans. I brought a friend to the concert so she could hear >TMBG for >the first time, and that was really uncool to have them not being >themselves >and only playing for ONE HOUR. She probably thinks they're assholes >now. I'm >sure Duquesne deserved some sort of retribution, but that's not the >way. I >hope their T-shirt sales suffered. > >c a s e y the disgruntled gianthead > _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 16:30:03 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Cornell Show Message-ID: On Thu, 23 Apr 1998, Dylan Flipse wrote: > Aaaaargh. With FOUR promising dates, I'll see none of them. I doubt Mike > Leffel ever had these sorts of problems seeing shows. last i heard, mike leffel had never seen a live tmbg show... i doubt it's changed since then... > Dylan "Re-naming myself Jim to augment the confusion" Flipse --jim kuemmerle, renaming himself dylan to REALLY augment the confusion... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 17:50:16 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Johns:relating to Message-ID: <19980423.182046.3334.2.gray42@juno.com> On Wed, 22 Apr 1998 22:39:24 -0400 rachel writes: >> >yeah, i drink my coffee like linnell does (that is, black with >lots-o-sugar). Hey! You do that also? I love my coffee like that :P Mysterio Gal (fellow Subgenius & Happy Mutant) who is sorry for the senselessly short and inepropriate, but cute (IMHO) reply " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 17:45:30 -0400 Subject: 1/10 TMBG:Subgenius, & Doglas Adams Message-ID: <19980423.182046.3334.1.gray42@juno.com> Wow what a great day, I went to a couple of bookstores and gota couple of really great books. (1) The brand new, hard to find, Subgenius book, filled with deligtful, shocking pictures for prepubescent teens. (and pics I had to hide from my mother, but that's not all. Well it least is a prominent percentage :P (2) Starship Titanic, by Terry Jones, originally thought up by Douglas Adams, who decided to concentrate on the game. This book is very hilarious and very hard to read aloud due to those wonderful tounge twisting names. On an added note, if there were a hitchhiker's movie, and the Johns were to play any of the characters, which ones would they play. Mysterio Gal (fellow Subgenius & Happy Mutant) " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 16:49:45 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: TMBGGTTG... Message-ID: On Thu, 23 Apr 1998 gray42@juno.com wrote: > On an added note, if there were a hitchhiker's movie, and the Johns were > to play any of the characters, which ones would they play. i cast my vote for vroomfondel (flans) and majikthise (linnell)... --jim "dylan" kuemmerle, who also drinks his coffee black with lots and lots of sugar... and waaaaaayy too much of it... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 17:17:12 -0600 Subject: Re: 1/10 TMBG:Subgenius, & Doglas Adams Message-ID: <19980423.171718.3174.6.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) (2) Starship Titanic, by Terry >Jones, originally thought up by Douglas Adams, who decided to >concentrate on the game. This book is very hilarious and very hard to >read aloud due to those wonderful tounge twisting names. On an added >note, if there were a hitchhiker's movie, and the Johns were to play >any of the characters, which ones would they play. douglas adams is coming to a local bookstore next friday... i actually thought about going... and then i thought... why woudl i do that when i have waay better things i could be doing. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::only 5 more days of school... only 5 more days::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980423181828.006a59b8@pop.indy.net> Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 18:18:28 -0400 From: rachel Subject: Re: TMBG: Johns:relating to JOrdaN wrote: >hahaa... i was just thinking something along those lines... >i just think you guys are getting a lil confused... you're saying you >relate to the johns themselves, but in realtiy (unless of course you know >them personally) you're just relating to their music. you're mixing up >their reality with their music. > well, i think their personalities are made pretty clear in interviews, live shows and especially if you've been able to talk to them afterwards. i'm not saying that i know *everything* about either of the johns by way of any of these examples but i'm pretty sure that everyone on the list knows that linnell is the shy one and flans is the out going one (and seeing as how we're all so obsessed, probably a few other things). so it's not really that far fetched to say that we can relate to them personality-wise. meow, rachel ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot Message-ID: <6bda50fd.353fdafd@aol.com> Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 20:21:15 EDT Subject: TMBG: There Is No Right Or Wrong... For the John vs. John arguement, I must say, there is no right or wrong (again). But on a related note, has anyone noticed that while John L. seems to be able to learn & pick up though hearing, John F. has to learn by seeing (I noticed this when seeing them live during the improv)....I just thought that was neat, that's all! Just another way they are different, yet the same! jason "I got to finish my name this time" glastetter ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980423202941.006abf24@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 20:29:41 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Double Dong article There's an article about Double Dong, mentioning TMBG, at: http://bostonphoenix.com/archive/music/98/04/23/CELLARS_BY_STARLIGHT.html ------------------------------ From: Oilcan1045 Message-ID: Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 21:21:44 EDT Subject: Re: MEGANON-TMBG:Subgenius, & Doglas Adams Mysterio Girl writ: >On an added note, if there were a >hitchhiker's movie, and the Johns were to play any of the characters, >which ones would they play. Having read all the books, I should probably have a better knowledge of the names of the characters, or just the characters period, but here goes anyhow: John F: Zaphod Beeblebrox, but younger and more (less?) naive. John L: I sort of have two ideas for Linnell. When he's in one of his more quiet, yet secretely evil moods, one of the inhabitants of Kriket (almost certainly misspelled), preferably one of the leaders. If he's in a lighter mood, Marvin the Robot These are the ones that came straight to my head. Now you know what it's like to be stupid. Tim Schafer ------------------------------ Message-ID: <353FF735.53E04C3C@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu> Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 21:21:41 -0500 From: Sixth Guy Named Moe Subject: TMBG: I love John Henson... Not carnally....I just admire him and his glorious opus Talk Soup. When Kinnear left, I had my doubts, but Henson has taken this moment to really shine. Notice a trend...Kinnear-TalkSoup-CarCommercials (Eagle Talon)-Oscar Nomination. Henson-TalkSoup-CarCommercials-.....? You think? Does Notradamus have anything to say about this? Remember, you heard it here first. -The Absolutely Moody Bill- formally -Cornjob- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 19:29:26 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: I love John Henson... Message-ID: and how is that message TMBG related? ------------------------------ Message-ID: <353FFA28.A73BF2F8@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu> Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 21:34:16 -0500 From: Wrath of Kubla Kahn Subject: Re: TMBG: I love John Henson... The same way the message about Doulgas Adams is TMBG related. Hey Mr. Officer, are you gonna bust me on my misdemeanor? Dare I stray from the stringint, militant TMBG-list? Dare I investigate whether we share common interests? Sorry, El Presidente, I promise not the ever discuss any topic not clearly and directly related to TMBG. .....wouldn't be cool if TMBG were on Talk Soup with John Henson? -Cornjob- PS - Bite Me leonard helfgott wrote: > and how is that message TMBG related? ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 23 Apr 98 23:12 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: 1/10 TMBG:Subgenius, & Doglas Adams >douglas adams is coming to a local bookstore next friday... >i actually thought about going... and then i thought... why woudl i do >that when i have waay better things i could be doing. Better things?! I think I might even consider missing TMBG to meet Douglas Adams... (Kirsten ducks and runs as crowds of Giantheads chase her screaming "HERETIC!!") Kirs -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "You think you're so funny, but looks aren't everything." - Lincoln "Wish You Were Dead" Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 20:15:13 -0700 (PDT) From: winningh Subject: Re: TMBG: Nothing like the first time Message-ID: On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, Peggy A Hartinger wrote: > > It was probably about 1989/90 that I read about TMBG in Sassy magazine > (Remember that one, girls? It was about the only cool teen magazine > around. It had to be cool if it had TMBG in it!) Anyway, they had an > article about them and it showed some pictures of them hanging out in > Linnell's apartment. I wasn't so impressed that I rushed right out and > bought their albulm, but when I did see Flood at the library I did pick > it up and immediately loved it. > Way back when Sassy was good they also ran a contest where yo had to write in choosing a date with John Flansburgh, John Linnell, or death and why. Sarah "I Love Food That Smells Like Dogs" Winningham ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 21:21:17 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: There Is No Right Or Wrong... Message-ID: <19980423.212847.16534.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) >But on a related note, has anyone noticed that while John L. seems to >be able >to learn & pick up though hearing, John F. has to learn by seeing Yeah... i kinda noticed that too... and when they played stump the band, flansburgh would typically just sing and let the rest of teh band figure out how to play the song. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ::::The Official Gum Bubble:::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 21:19:53 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Johns:relating to Message-ID: <19980423.212847.16534.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) >but i'm pretty sure that everyone on the list knows >that >linnell is the shy one and flans is the out going one (and seeing as >how >we're all so obsessed, probably a few other things). mmm... see i have to disagree again... perhaps linnell is just shy in front of his fans... he may be really outgoing and extroverted when he's around people that don't worship him take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ::::The Official Gum Bubble:::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 21:28:40 -0600 Subject: Re: 1/4 TMBG: Doglas Adams & may TMBG tourdates Message-ID: <19980423.212847.16534.3.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) > Better things?! I think I might even consider missing TMBG to >meet Douglas Adams... (Kirsten ducks and runs as crowds of Giantheads >chase her screaming "HERETIC!!") well seeing as how the day before he comes to town is my last day of school... i'm just not so sure i'd be in the state to actually attempt to wade my way through the multitudes of fans and try to go... however, if TMBG were to come that day, hell i'd stay sober for a week before just to make sure i didn't miss anything :) on a side note, have any new tourdates been announced lately? specifically any in the west coast or any that are like may 3rd - may 20th somewhere in the middle portion of the US? take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ::::The Official Gum Bubble:::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980423225140.00691c6c@pop.indy.net> Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 22:51:40 -0400 From: rachel Subject: Re: TMBG: Johns:relating to/ delaware oh show >mmm... see i have to disagree again... >perhaps linnell is just shy in front of his fans... he may be really >outgoing and extroverted when he's around people that don't worship him > but! see, i can relate to that too- i'm also outgoing and extroverted most of the time but become shy when i'm around people who worship me. :) by the way, anyone else going to the delaware oh, free show? i felt bad for all the people on the west coast so i decided i should be grateful and go to every show within 5 hours of my house. lovies, rachel (who admits she is being a super bitch today) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <005101bd6f3a$5c969280$481e8a81@refund.rcn.nmt.edu> From: "Refund" Subject: Almost NON TMBG: The Man... Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 22:35:08 -0600 I, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the state of New Mexico, and giver of the title 'The Man' do hereby bestow upon you, Harry, the title of 'The Man' through actions of your own, and subsequent nomination by Jim K. Thank you. Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the state of New Mexico. And whoever said there's nothing new under the sun never thought much about individuals, but he's dead anyway. The Refreshments -- Down Together. P.S. Visit www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Amphitheatre/5550/ The first Julie Plug tribute page in HISTORY!!! :0) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 00:40:47 -0400 (EDT) From: Jim Tatz Subject: TMBG: TMBG Concert? Message-ID: I went to the TMBG concert on Tues, and once again they were great! But also, once again Big John seemed to have an attitude.. Instead of talking to fans like Little John, he just took off in his car right after the concert.. He seemed moody at the concert before too.. Anyone know why? ~Jim ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3540190E.60C6B65C@columbus.rr.com> Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 00:46:06 -0400 From: Brian Evans Organization: Swingers Subject: TMBG: Delaware, OH Show Anyone know what the max number of people they are letting into this show is? Wonder how early I should get there?....hmmm I wasn't gonna go to this show but I couldn't resist goin to two shows in one week and plus it's free and close :) We should set a place to meet for real this time or at least be on the lookout for the "code word" :) I'll post what I look like/be wearing in a day or so, when I figure out what clothes will actually be clean. Hey everyone, ICQ me, I promise I'll talk back, if I'm at the computer that is :) #427732 Later, Brian AOLIM : BriBri23 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <354019F4.86228049@columbus.rr.com> Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 00:49:56 -0400 From: Brian Evans Organization: Swingers Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Concert? Jim Tatz wrote: > I went to the TMBG concert on Tues, and once again they were great! But > also, once again Big John seemed to have an attitude.. Instead of talking > to fans like Little John, he just took off in his car right after the > concert.. He seemed moody at the concert before too.. > > Anyone know why? > > ~Jim You mean the columbus show?...Flans was signing autographs after the show in the lobby (forgive me if I'm wrong but by Big John, you do mean Flans right?) but I did notice that the whole mood was a bit more somber and business like than the other 3 times I've seen Them... Brian ICQ : 427732 AOLIM : BriBri23 ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #5-22 *****************************