Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #5-24 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 5, Number 24 Sunday, 26 April 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: tmbg; 4.24.98; buffalo. TMBG: Adrian show, Deleware show Re: NON TMBG: Folding the Country in half TMBG: Pearl Street Show 5/8 Re: TMBG: tmbg; 4.24.98; buffalo. TMBG: Re: TMBG 4.24.98; buffalo. TMBG: Real Audio Concerts??? Re: TMBG: Columbus Show + good question TMBG: OWU/Delaware show Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: <9f6b30f2.35418546@aol.com> Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 02:40:05 EDT Subject: TMBG: tmbg; 4.24.98; buffalo. awww yeah. I was gonna do this tomorrow when I get home, but the only entertainment here is the computer, so I guess I have to do this now. :) Besides, I won't sleep unless I do . the show, was fantastic. best tmbg show out of my 3. the tralf is a nifty place too. a *real lounge* as Flans put it. very tiny stage. I met the toronto crowd, Alex / Mr. Klaw, Mike Rose, and Mike Wood (hey guys! catch yer 4 am bus ok?:)) and I got a set list and a lot of confetti (why? I dunno.) And met Hal and Dan after the show, got them to sign my set list -- Dan has short gray hair, by the way... whata drastic change from the curly not-short brown hair.. Anyways, First, I s'pose I'll get Lincoln outta the way, New songs, 3 i think, ("Shotgun Supreme" just plain rocks:)"give me the keys to the van, put the heat on man, put the heat on man...") and since Dan (the goodlooking one ) left, now they're a 3 piece.. there's also a lincoln mailing list and new shirts. :) I got a shirt. the crowd really loved them. and now, of course, TMBG:) they were *very* happy tonight:) yay! Linnell came out and shook hands with 1 guy; a guy who had a tape recorder out in the open; and guy if you see this, I want - no - I need a copy:) The confetti cannon: they had us in the front row duck down so everyone could see, to which flans said "now that's cooperation":) and *then* he was explaining how it was going to hit us, and walked over and pointed at my head as demonstration:) Spy ran into Lie Still, complete with the mic'ed up Stick! :) {and Linnell playing sax; first time I've seen that actually!} which then ran into "To All The Girls I've Loved Before" with Flans on the stick mic and Linnell singing into a microphone which made him sound like.. umm.. :) The best way i can put it I think is the Trinoids or Fred on SimpleTalk on my computer. :) sorry. maybe robotic is another good way to describe it. It was damn hilarious. Later on he used it again during Hal's solo to say "Hal, your shit is on fire!" :) The puppet heads were there; of course. So was a little kid who Flans let play the guitar for a bit on The Guitar. Flans had to start Pet Name 3 times ("she gave me a pet name, not to say I was invited... okay STOP, press rewind..." :)) then he finallsaid "Fuck this, I have emotional problems." At the end of Shoehorn, they did a fast forward version which was very good and very funny.:) One encore of many was just the johns doing Sapphire Bullets, yay! "We just did an appearance on the Sally Jesse show, the episode was: 'My Bass Player is Too Sexy." "My prescription drugs are too sexy. Today's episode... BITCH!" The album they *say* will be out in August. Let's hope. Apparently it will be live with a Dr. Worm studio recording on it. This is all probably common knowledge though. I got the first half of the set lists,and it reads (if anyone cares; in caps): LETTERBOX NYC TURN (yes, Turn Around) GIRL <-- Flans tells us when he went to art school, someone said "Hey fag!" to him and this song is about that:) POLK (HAL) ISTAN ACTUAL SEXXY SUN SPY/LIE/2 ALL (I think 2 all is people vs. apes? they did that around here..) FINISHED (Finished With Lies, the new song) DR WORM ENSOR (flans screwed this up too :)) ANA PET ("SEVERE") LOST SHOE TWIST GUITAR / CONGA NO ONE that's where mine stops; they also did Birdhouse, Till My Head Falls Off, Sapphire, Particle Man, Dig My Grave... and I can't remember any more. :} this is where I stop. my eyes are sticky, I'm super cold (even in my tmbg winter hat!:)), I'm on a *PC* and it's giving me a hard time, and I'm sorta tired. :) If I missed anything, well. too bad:) sarah linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980425070609.24044.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Amy Greenlese" Subject: TMBG: Adrian show, Deleware show Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 00:06:09 PDT Well, since no one has said a word about the Adrian show, I guess I'll speak up! It was a great show, much better than the Duquense show seems to have been. But I"m getting ahead of myself... Lincoln was pretty good, I thought, but rather boring. The crowd was kind of restless and everyone was sitting down, but as soon as Lincoln cleared the stage people started going up front and claiming spots between the front row of seats and the barrier. Some guy was handing out sheets of paper with William Allen White heads on them that you could fold into a little crown-type hat thing. The security guards all looked at me strangely when I came near wearing mine :) Anyhow, after waiting what seemed like forever, They came out to much applause and happiness. I didn't get a set list, but they played the pretty standard show stuff. I love the new fast They Got Lost! Both Johns were in GREAT moods, and Hal and Dan seemed to be too. Linnell mentioned the new album: "We have a new record coming out, a live record, and YOU WILL BE ON IT! Yes, you will be on the record if you BUY A COPY and STAND ON IT." The battle was for the Planet of the Clones, and Hal and Dan were the people and John and John were representing the clones - "we're clones of the clones" The people won, but not by much. When they played Shoehorn with Teeth, Flans introduces Dan as the USA's last chance to win the glockenspiel competition, and being so close to Canada, he was going to come from behind to beat the strong Canadian team. The auditorium wasn't packed, it looked like about 400 people or so, but the conga line was huge! Before they started No One Knows My Plan, Flans chanted "Everybody Conga.......Everybody Conga...." over and over till there was a pretty good line going. We got around the auditorium twice, weaving in and out of the rows and picking up people as we went. They only played one encore, and started it with Exquisite Dead Guy with the puppet heads. Flans was trying to move his head around but the spotlight guy wouldn't follow him and some guy in front of me turned around and yelled "move the light!" After the spotlight guy finally started following Flans, Flans tried his best to lose the light, and even hid behind the disco ball at one point. So it was a great show, I had much fun, and I plan to do it all over again on Sunday!! What's this I hear about a limited number of people being allowed in? As far as I know it's an outdoor show starting at 1 pm, and I heard (please don't kill me if this info is wrong) that Goldfinger is the opening band. I'll be there for sure, so if you yell LIST or AMY I'll look for you :) ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Strawbos69 Message-ID: <8155971d.35418d7f@aol.com> Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 03:15:10 EDT Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Folding the Country in half In a message dated 98-04-25 03:07:06 EDT, agreenlese@hotmail.com writes: << So it was a great show, I had much fun, and I plan to do it all over again on Sunday!! That does it! I'm moving!!!!! I can't stand this ANYMORE!!!!! ARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!! Yah know, if we just fold the country in half, from West to East, the folks on the West coast could get in on the shows.... hmmmmm... >> I'll be there for sure, so if you yell LIST or AMY I'll look for you :) Yeah, and only twenty thousand million people named "Amy" will answer... :) -Strawbos69, who's name MIGHT be Amy, but will never tell... ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 11:01:54 -0400 (EDT) From: GEEK Subject: TMBG: Pearl Street Show 5/8 Message-Id: Yay! I got tickets to the show in Pearl Street, Northampton (MA)!!! They always give a good show there....I can't wait!! *bounce bounce bounce* Anyone else going? ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980425111345.006a2ccc@130.127.28.14> Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 11:13:45 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg; 4.24.98; buffalo. At 02:40 AM 4/25/98 EDT, KdsInThHal wrote: > >Spy ran into Lie Still, complete with the mic'ed up Stick! :) {and Linnell >playing sax; first time I've seen that actually!} which then ran into "To All >The Girls I've Loved Before" with Flans on the stick mic and Linnell singing >into a microphone which made him sound like.. umm.. :) The best way i can put >it I think is the Trinoids or Fred on SimpleTalk on my computer. :) sorry. >maybe robotic is another good way to describe it. It was damn hilarious. Later >on he used it again during Hal's solo to say "Hal, your shit is on fire!" :) Sounds like a vocoder. I wish they had one when I saw them... :) -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 14:17:24 -0400 (EDT) From: Michael Rose Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG 4.24.98; buffalo. Message-ID: Yes, here's my little addition to what has already been posted about the KICK-ASS Tralf show last night in Buffalo NY. I had never been to Buffalo before, but was aware of its existence, and was pleased to discover that it was actually there when I arrived. So was the club, and it's a good club, very large, and on the recommendation of a local, I pressed myself up against the front barrier which is not something I usually do but I decided to go for it this time. I like to be near the front, but I don't like being kicked in the head by moshers. Fortunately there weren't any moshers, and for the most part I was happy I stayed where I was. At one point there was a girl who decided to come up behind me, press herself suggestively against my body, and hold out a ring to Linnell, but she happened to choose the beginning of Pet Name to do this, when the club was plunged into total darkness. She seemed oblivious to this and just stodd there holding out the ring which Linnell could not see, so I told her that the lights would in fact be kept off for the entire song, to which she retreated in a huff. Little did I know of course that Flans was about to fuck up the song three times in a row and that they would skip it in favour of another song. Obviously I don't need to go into the set list, but I will say that it was great to hear such songs as Turn Around, Letterbox and Sapphire Bullets Of Pure Love. It was also eerily hilarious to hear Linnell sing through his vocoder in To All The Girls I've Loved Before, the line "And may I say I've had the best". Just gave me a sudden, very startling mental image. New songs included Dr. Worm, Finished With Lies, and the new fast version of They Got Lost which totally rocks, but I should also say that it was not just the rarely played tunes and the new songs which rocked out - it was the whole energy level of the show which made even oft-played tunes come to life in ways that transcended my knee-jerk retiscence to hearing certain songs in every show I see (this was my twelfth show). So, even chestnuts like Spy, The Guitar, Istanbul, Birdhouse In Your Soul, and NYC came off as vibrant and cool, and I have to say that this is right up there with the best TMBG shows I've seen. For good measure, they brought out the Stick and the Puppet Heads, and I could swear that there was one brief addition to the (prerecorded) vocal track of Exquisite Dead Guy. Linnell also danced. There were two generous encores, not listed on the set list, though for some reason they did not play Georgy Girl, which they had run through during the sound check. But that's OK since the sight of the two of them on stage with guitar and accordion doing Sapphire Bullets was downright amazing. I also enjoyed Linnell's freeform jazz saxophone riff leading into Lie Still Little Bottle - I'd never seen him take that instrument to town in such a manner. So, onto the people - (or the apes...) people won, by the way - anyway, hi to Sarah, and thanks for the post which preceded mine - I also met a girl who had flown in from England all alone to see the show, and was rewarded with Flans and Linnell autographs as well as a free T shirt and hat. My friends and I joined her after the show for booze and fun and then I boarded a bus for Toronto at 4.20 AM!!! which pulled in at 6.45 and I got home an hour later. I have a guitar pick to show for my troubles, as well as a piece of the very large confetti which packed the Presidential Love Cannon, a ringing in my ears, a weird message on my phone answering machine that I cannot decipher, four American dollars from the twenty that I brought, and another great TMBG concert experience to savour. I also got to shake Flans' hand after the show. I thanked him for a good time, and he thanked me for coming out. It was six years ago almost to the day that I first saw them live and met Flans, and since then I've seen them numerous times but never got to talk to him again, and then last night, I got my chance once again. Seeing TMBG perform is, in my opinion, one of life's rare pleasures to be enjoyed while one still can, which is why I can justify a 21 hour trip to Buffalo from Toronto just to see them play - the experience is unforgettable, and every moment of every TMBG show I see is thrilling simply because I am there, watching my favourite band play great songs. It just doesn't get any better than that. A big wave hello to all who were there, I hope you had as good a time as I did. I dig the Buffalo TMBG crowd. Whatever I forgot to mention here will be forgotten forever, since I can't remember what I forgot. MIKe *TMBG Info Club ID No: 18902* THE COOLEST PLACE TO BE - Mr Flippy's Red Light Funtime Party Hour --->http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy<--- AND: Check out the webzine JournalX at www.journalx.com ________________________________________________________________ "If you really want to hurt your parents and you don't have nerve enough to be homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts." --Kurt Vonnegut ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot Message-ID: <976d0079.354292c6@aol.com> Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 21:49:56 EDT Subject: TMBG: Real Audio Concerts??? Well, I found a link at someone's TMBG web-site to a TMBG Real Audio concert, or so I thought...Error 404: File Doesn't Exist...blah, blah... It makes me wonder if there is a FULL TMBG Real Audio concert out there (I've seen some for some other bands). Just wondering if anyone knows about such a site for TMBG? jason "downloading Real Audio 5.0, so he can listen to a Soul Coughing Concert" glastetter ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 23:51:12 -0400 From: Wayde Subject: Re: TMBG: Columbus Show + good question Message-id: <3.0.2.32.19980425235112.007ab720@uoft02.utoledo.edu> >Anyhoo, there were a few songs I noticed were missing this time, again >leading me to believe the show was shorter than normal. For example, >no Don't Let's Start, She's an Angel and I believe no Istanbul (not sure They did play Istanbul...it seemed like they played it faster than usual though... >about this tho). Did see Flans giving autographs after the show but >got ushed out the door before could get over there...anyone get an >autograph last night? got the back of a card signed.... I have an intersting question. Durring the signing by Flans after this columbus concert, my friend asked what Flans thought about a group called "Heckfish" (don't know spelling) doing a cover of "twisting" by THEY...not only do they play this song in concert, but it's on their latest album...Flans only replied "we will look forward to those long envelopes," referring to the royalties! Witty and avoiding...pretty smart huh? Does anyone else know of this covering to twisting? ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3542D75D.2516@polbox.com> Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 01:42:37 -0500 From: i close my door at night Organization: http://www.geocities.com/Wellesley/1790/ Subject: TMBG: OWU/Delaware show I am going to the show....I will be wearing my Pearl shirt and olive-green pants with racing stripes on the side seams. I'm medium height, chubby, with medium-length reddish-purple-brown hair. Hope I can see some of you there! Becky --------------- [ REKLAMA / ADVERTISEMENT ] ------------------ Polbox otwiera w Warszawie siec 12 wezlow Internetowych. Wiecej informacji pod adresem http://www.polbox.pl/98info.html * -------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #5-24 *****************************