Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #5-26 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 5, Number 26 Tuesday, 28 April 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: 4.24.98 show: Buffalo. TMBG: hagfish/twistin... TMBG: tape tree - decision time TMBG: Delaware Show Setlist Re: TMBG: Delaware show TMBG: mon opuf fan dtal king he ads ? TMBG: Have a neat summer Re: TMBG: Delaware Show Setlist Re: TMBG: Delaware Show Setlist TMBG: The Oracle TMBG: Real Audio Concert.... TMBG: Delaware show Re: TMBG: to all the girls... bootlegs TMBG: Severe Track Damage Re: TMBG: Delaware show Re: TMBG: Delaware show Re: TMBG: Severe Track Damage Re: TMBG: Severe Track Damage Re: TMBG: Delaware show Re: TMBG: Severe Track Damage TMBG: STD... please tear apart... (i'm posting this for discussions sake) Re: TMBG: STD... please tear apart... (i'm posting this for discussions sake Re: TMBG: Severe Track Damage Re: TMBG: STD... please tear apart... (i'm posting this for discussions sake TMBG: on the subject of STD Re: TMBG: STD... please tear apart... (i'm posting this for Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 02:40:23 -0400 (EDT) From: Beth Connell Subject: TMBG: Re: 4.24.98 show: Buffalo. Message-ID: I won't add too much to what's already been said about the show, cause it's already been done so well, other than to add that it's the first Buffalo show to have a conga line (last time they played, it was at Rockwell Hall at Buff state, which is all seating, no dancing room.), that my sister wasn't able to get the interview, cause when she dragged the morantz in, they were out to dinner :( ; that this show was even better than the once I saw at the Icon in '92 where Linnell played the accordian with a hammer (and I hope they'll play the Tralf again. Love the Tralf - it's a great venue!) and that I'm a chicken and didn't have the nerver to yell out "List!" to meet you all. Beth -<*>- http://www.cgicafe.com/~soulfire | "I want to raise my freak flag higher and higher..." -TMBG | "Rock Climbing, Joel. Rock Climbing." -Tom Servo, MST3K | "I love humans. Always seeing patterns in things that aren't there." -Dr. Who (8th Doctor) | Odangos, anyone? -<*>- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199804270717.DAA21683@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 02:17:37 -0500 From: "angular unconformity, the naked singularity" Subject: TMBG: hagfish/twistin... hagfish is not the biggest band for sure... they're a punk band from dallas, and being from nearby and somewhat a fan i've seen them several times, and they've been playing twisting for years... they've released it twice now, first on a promo single for the song happiness off of their first major album, and now once again on their newest album... i have the new version on cd, and i can make an mp3 of it if people are interested in hearing it... i don't really have any place to put it right now, but if someone else with webspace has somewhere they can put it, just let me know... rabidchild paul swan ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199804271300.JAA15923@elvis.vnet.net> From: "Could be an Illusion" Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 09:00:48 -0500 Subject: TMBG: tape tree - decision time -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Greetings, fellow Big Giant Heads! Within one week, I will be starting a tape tree of a classy TMBG show. Which show this will be is up to you! Right now I am torn between two particular shows, so I thought I'd put this out for a little vote. Here are the two I'm considering offering up: 3/31/96 - Good performances of cool songs like Reprehensible, Counterfeit Faker, and SenSurround; some audience noise but it's still very easy to hear the things you're supposed to hear. :) 9/19/92 - Sound is good throughout, audience noise is minimal. The band seems in very good humor during the show, except possibly for a tirade of the good old "F-word" when some folks protest the Stump the Band choice. You can hear some clips from this show on tdk's page: http://www.cybercomm.net/~tdk/tmbg.html Setlists and more comments on these shows can be found in the "tapes" section of my Web site, whose address lurks right below this message! Also available there is information, in case your thoughts right now are along the lines of, "What the smoldering Hell is a tape tree?" :) *** Please reply by E-mail to me, not this list, and leave the subject line unchanged so my mail filter can pick it up and stick it in a special folder for me. Let me know which show you'd rather have distributed to the masses (or yourself :) and I'll decide based on your votes. Also, if you have a high-quality copy of some other show you'd like to volunteer as a "seed" (the copy from which all other copies derive), please drop me a note and we can talk about getting it out in a future tree. Thank you! =] Carl Hudkins + Tape list available at =--> http://users.vnet.net/chud/ [y ] [t =] "If Mom had known she was expecting, she might've gone to St. John's [h ] instead of drinking her fill with a Sudafed..." [e =] --words I heard, instead of the real ones by They Might Be Giants [r -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: 2.6.2 Comment: Would you send mail without an envelope? iQCVAwUBNUSBe75BFpotHh45AQGteAP/TjpKE47Nc0221QlB/txmUhn8xW/W7LPJ H/oeHmHNZ5oSBMgkGaQvsidTKgal6b/EnQWUbxVfdmPEtP/KdRQzXwm8Mx3qBWCs Bw9K+4aPjKftp/3ZJY8se3ceZTqBy2xXX0snko5+4Q4NmmgnR6KFB6Z6ZcT+vdCn dJi+wT4DIUo= =hCeR -----END PGP SIGNATURE----- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19980427091335.00853be0@pop.cwru.edu> Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 09:13:35 -0400 From: Jeff Roberts Subject: TMBG: Delaware Show Setlist I managed to convice a friend of mine from school to drive me down to the show. I was the guy in the Cincinnati Cylones hockey jersey with Stimpy 911 on the back. I was right in the front on the far left side, about four people down from the girl with the Weep Day sign. Overall the show rocked though there was a small mosh pit behind me that kept sorta squishing my friends and me up against the rail. There was also what looked to be one of the student staff people's girlfriends next to me. She wasnt very into the show and she took up about 3 times her width on the rail with her elbows. But enough griping. Here's the setlist (I managed to snag the sound guy's one after the show. Woo hoo!) INTRO #4 (They didnt do this) ISTANBUL/SUN SPIRALLIN' POLK/TWIST ACTUAL SHOE DR. WORM ENSOR PARTICLE SEXXY OLDER/BIRD BIRD GUITAR CONGA NO ONE SPY/LIE/2 ALL ANA DIG PET TIL Flans kept talking to the moshers in between songs. At one point he said "I have some words to those angry young men there in the middle....Peace bothers...Peace." and They announced Particle Man as "Here's another song you can't mosh to." I was impressed they did an encore because none of the other bands there had though granted I thought most of the other bands sucked pretty hard. People didn't really get the conga line. There were only about 1/3 of the people there doing it. Also the Apes won the Battle for the Planet of the Apes. Linnel seemed really shocked and said that we'd broken a seven show long streak of people victories or something. Personally I think people has way too many syllables to chat for so long. I've gotta drag my sleep deprived arse to class now. Jeff "Now that's all I can think of, but I'm sure there's something else, Way down inside me I can feel it coming back." -They Might Be Giants Jeff Roberts President of Foolish Mortal Enterprises http://schlock.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980427083714.00698978@pop.indy.net> Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 08:37:14 -0400 From: rachel Subject: Re: TMBG: Delaware show >rachel wrote: >> anyone who was there probably saw me- i was the freak with the "weep day" >> sign (although i knew they wouldn't play it). > jay wrote: >hey. that's my favorite song. ;) > >not exactly sure why it matters, it was a toss up between that and "dinner bell" although i would also absolutely love to hear them play "become a robot" ;) lovies, rachel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199804271353.JAA24597@elvis.vnet.net> From: "Could be an Illusion" Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 09:53:55 -0500 Subject: TMBG: mon opuf fan dtal king he ads ? -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- How do! Having just gotten a good set of speakers for the ol' PC, I have been grabbing more mp3s of late. A recent acquisition is Mono Puff's "Da(i)shiki Lover" (anyone know the official spelling?), which I think sounds a lot like earlier Talking Heads. If it were a Talking Heads song, it would definitely be on Speaking in Tongues. :) Anybody else agree? Do tell, =] Carl Hudkins + Tape list available at =--> http://users.vnet.net/chud/ [y ] [t =] "If Mom had known she was expecting, she might've gone to St. John's [h ] instead of drinking her fill with a Sudafed..." [e =] --words I heard, instead of the real ones by They Might Be Giants [r -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: 2.6.2 Comment: Would you send mail without an envelope? iQCVAwUBNUSN7r5BFpotHh45AQECmAQA1ViYshEthb84Z3Q/hFVnT6Ihqmf7rA3P FkQ8dj4pfGAVGZmGM6waiZexb4k3Fm/NkQW452B2ZfJCk2/rMWjltzQfl74krtln DNlB+qXkA0udcnzj/OJynD6nTzondcKnDpE0NAv0ZeYk/LU/pBtcPY3V+N1WK0XX r58P0pjeKvo= =STrA -----END PGP SIGNATURE----- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 10:16:32 -0500 (EST) From: groahjs@jmu.edu Subject: TMBG: Have a neat summer Message-id: I just picked up my JMU 1998 yearbook, this years theme something like "professional students: drinking our way out of reality." Anyway, in the bands/performers section there is a picture of Flans palying his guitar above two other performers, scitar players, I think, with three counterparts on the opposite page. Where is Mr. Linnnell you ask? He's in the middle of the page in a huge picture with a major butt-kickin' color photo of the crowd, confetti, shreded money, and the cannon that's "filled with surprises." If I figure out how to FTP stuff, I'll scan the picture in. Joey, hope's John will sign my yearbook, he's the super coolest. ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: <89078222.3544ebe4@aol.com> Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 16:34:43 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Delaware Show Setlist In a message dated 4/27/98 8:03:59 AM, jlr3@po.cwru.edu wrote: >Personally I think people has way too many syllables to chat for so long. Yeah but it's a hell of a lot easier than "Apes apes apes apes apes apes apes apes apes!" (try it for a bit you'll see what I mean) :) sarah linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35451B06.13CE@fuse.net> Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 16:55:50 -0700 From: jays your one-paged dictionary Organization: dial-a-song! 718-287-6962, narrrrrrrrr! Subject: Re: TMBG: Delaware Show Setlist KdsInThHal wrote: > > In a message dated 4/27/98 8:03:59 AM, jlr3@po.cwru.edu wrote: > > >Personally I think people has way too many syllables to chat for so long. > > Yeah but it's a hell of a lot easier than "Apes apes apes apes apes apes apes > apes apes!" (try it for a bit you'll see what I mean) :) > > sarah > linnellgirl@tmbg.org > http://lava.home.ml.org i agree, if it matters at all. :) "people" has a more enchanting, hypnotic quality about it--it allows stressing on the second syllable, and thus we may rise and fall, making for easier annunciation. "apes" is .. well .. it ends up sounding like "sape." or something. with nonexistent humour, jay -- jayhc, who wishes to be woken when it's over, touched on the face, and told that every word has been erased. e-mail: sirjamez@fuse.net, phonebook@tmbg.org aol im: SaturnChrd (soon to be phonebook, yay!) irc: PhoneBook "and sadly the cross-eyed bear's been put to sleep behind the stairs, and his shoes are laced with irony." --tmbg if i had a million dollars, i'd have both steve page and ed robertson dipped slowly into molten lava until their legs have melted, then taken to some of saddam's people to see what kind of creative uses they can come up with for white hot bobby pins. if i only had a million dollars ... i'd be rich. -- ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Message-Id: <199804272059.QAA06301@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: The Oracle Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 16:59:35 -0400 (EDT) Seen on the Oracle mailing list (if you don't know what the UseNet Oracle is, you might not understand this): --- 1012-03 -------------------------------------------------------------- Selected-By: Mike Nolan The Internet Oracle has pondered your question deeply. Your question was: > Oh Oracle, whose watch has a millenium hand, please answer this > mammal's question: > > Who, exactly, might be giants? And in response, thus spake the Oracle: } No, They might be giants. Who's on first. } } You owe the Oracle a soular birdhouse, and I owe Abbot and Costello my } apologies. -- Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org Systems Engineer - Internetworking Engineer - CCIE 3440 Read TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org, www.tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot Message-ID: <3ae66b76.3544f4de@aol.com> Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 17:13:01 EDT Subject: TMBG: Real Audio Concert.... I put a concert up at the site http://members.xoom.com/poingly. Hopefully, it all works, I don't feel like testing all the links, if a link is wrong, please tell me. I know it's not super high-quality, because it's Real Audio, but it's for people like me who have no patience to download those 6MB MP3's (You guys are great for putting them up on the web, by the way!) jason "dig my grave" glastetter ------------------------------ From: DiceBourbn Message-ID: <586ab68b.3544faab@aol.com> Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 17:37:46 EDT Subject: TMBG: Delaware show Hello! I've never posted before. I heard a bunch of you guys yelling at the Ohio Wesleyan show yesterday. I didn't really want to say anything because I was with people. Anyway, someone mentioned they played "The Sign" in the middle of "Particle Man"--that's right, they did. I missed the puppets, too, and they didn't do "They Got Lost." A very good show but not as good as the Columbus one. I saw the girl with the "Weep Day" sign.. in fact I was standing just a few feet from her (I was talking with the guys reading from the swimsuit edition tabloid newspaper). Well that was rather pointless but now I have a question: does anyone have the lyrics and/or chords to "To All The Girls I've Loved Before"? That's one of my favorite songs now and I've only heard it at these last two shows. That's all I've got (Well, not really--ask me what I thought about the Columbus and Delaware shows). Bryce ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 16:26:32 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: to all the girls... bootlegs Message-ID: <19980427.162638.14142.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) hEY HEy! >does anyone >have the >lyrics and/or chords to "To All The Girls I've Loved Before"? That's >one of my >favorite songs now and I've only heard it at these last two shows on a related note... has anyone bootlegged any of these shows from the '98 tour? :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ::::The Official Gum Bubble:::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Superman25 Message-ID: Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 19:22:14 EDT Subject: TMBG: Severe Track Damage hi. seeing as how a good chunk of us saw the severe tire damage tour, i'm curious to know what songs from which venue/show everyone would like to see as the live tracks for the upcoming cd. especially those of you who have extentsive bootlegs collections. for myself, i would very much like to have Spy as performed on 9/13/97 at Philadelphia's TLA (the early show) on the cd. that had the ever humorous "gas mask" story, as well as i am not your broom. i am also very curious to hear the live version of the bells are ringing from the 12/18/97 show at NYC's ever popular Mercury Lounge. what would you like to hear? adam schaaf, "i thought japan was the place for me" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3545483F.8FBF8A9D@geocities.com> Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 20:08:49 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: Delaware show DiceBourbn wrote: > Well that was rather pointless but now I have a question: does anyone have the > lyrics and/or chords to "To All The Girls I've Loved Before"? That's one of my > favorite songs now and I've only heard it at these last two shows. Is this song a TMBG original, or a cover? > That's all I've got (Well, not really--ask me what I thought about the > Columbus and Delaware shows). Okay. What did you think of the Columbus and Delaware shows? -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org or vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980427202150.006a23f8@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 20:21:50 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Delaware show At 08:08 PM 4/27/98 -0700, Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > >Is this song a TMBG original, or a cover? It's a Willie Nelson song. -Adam ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 20:11:25 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Severe Track Damage Message-ID: <19980427.201143.9758.0.gray42@juno.com> Ooooh Ooooh, *raises hand up so high in the air that it pulls off and flies over to a distant galaxy* >From the exquisite Janis Landings concert:I would say that The Battle For Planet of the Apes goes w/out saying, Lie Still Little Bottle w/ the wonderful stick of course, James K. Polk w/ its cannon, Shoehorn with Teeth, the rockin' Birdhouse, the rockin' WDTSS, yes that would rule!!! Oookies, I can't wait till that album hits da stores!!! Mysterio Gal (fellow Subgenius & Happy Mutant) who's happy cause she's been reading some really funny old e-mail " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35454A43.AD7C804D@geocities.com> Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 20:17:26 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: Severe Track Damage Superman25 wrote: > hi. > > seeing as how a good chunk of us saw the severe tire damage > tour, i'm curious to know what songs from which venue/show > everyone would like to see as the live tracks for the upcoming cd. > especially those of you who have extentsive bootlegs collections. > > for myself, i would very much like to have Spy as performed on > 9/13/97 at Philadelphia's TLA (the early show) on the cd. that had > the ever humorous "gas mask" story, as well as i am not your broom. > i am also very curious to hear the live version of the bells are ringing > from the 12/18/97 show at NYC's ever popular Mercury Lounge. > > what would you like to hear? Well, my first preference would be for anything unreleased. "Reprehensible" and "Certain People" are both high on my list of tracks I'd like to be released. I don't really care if they're live or studio tracks, as long as the quality is good. I'd also like for there to be a version of "Spy" with something performed during the improv section and a fast "WDTSS?" on there. What I don't especially want on the album are live songs that sound almost exactly like, or worse than, their album counterparts. -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org or vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 18:58:30 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Delaware show Message-ID: On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, Adam Tyner wrote: > It's a Willie Nelson song. y julio iglesias... --jim kuemmerle, quien toca el acordeo'n bien pero toca la gaita como un alce enfermo... (forgive my spanish; i know i'm probably butchering it...) j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 21:45:09 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Severe Track Damage Message-ID: <19980427.220830.14310.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) >i am also very curious to hear the live version of the bells are >ringing >from the 12/18/97 show at NYC's ever popular Mercury Lounge. i thought it sucked... my three cents. i don't think they should waste their money on that chick, diana sumthin... i think she f*&!ed up the planet of the apes that night too... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ::::The Official Gum Bubble:::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 22:08:25 -0600 Subject: TMBG: STD... please tear apart... (i'm posting this for discussions sake) Message-ID: <19980427.220830.14310.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) >>>someone said something about how they couldn't wait for the next album to come out (sorry, i hit delete instead of reply...)<<< my three cents in regards to that: my TMBG bootleg collection (http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html) is just short of 200 shows at this point, and, after hearing every one of these shows i think their putting out a live album is pretty retarded.... I think if a band is going to release a live album they should really capture the feel of one of their shows and let the listeners know what's going on at ALL of their shows just through the music of this one show (or collection of shows in this case)... while TMBG will have no problem doing this i also think that the band should really have something unique to offer, something that will really attract someone to one of thier shows... not just give people a new (live) version of the same songs. They Might Be Giants have a very typical live show, they play their songs and go, they don't offer THAT much at their live shows to the everyday fan (not us freek-fans)... not like, for example, Barenaked Ladies... (listen to the very last tracks on rock spectacle and you'll understand). I don't even like the BNL that much but i would go to one of their shows just because i've heard rock spectacle and i now have the impression that their shows are a LOT of fun, even for someone that doesn't know half of the songs etc.... it's not just gonna be some band getting up on stage playing a bunch of songs i don't know and then leaving after a couple of encores or what not... yes, tmbg offer the confetti cannon, but guess what guys!! on the bootlegs all you hear is a bunch of cheers right as it goes off (if that) yes, they offer the stick, but without actually being there and seeing it, it just sounds like a seriously f***ed up percussion insturment. yes, the glockenspeil is cool but, on bootlegs, it's merely 3 notes... i just don't think that a live album is worth their time... it's not gonna atract the everyday joe fan's to want to come to their shows (i don't think). I think that a regular studio album, with excellent quality recordings would do them more justice. on a side note, i obviously enjoy listening to their live stuff enough to collect it like a mad-man... i'm not saying that i don't love what they're doing, i'm just saying that it's not gonna help someone in a record store that's like "oh TMBG... i saw they on tiny toons... this looks cool, i think i'll buy it" to listen to the cd and then really be moved enough to want to go to a show of theirs (any more than they would if it were just a studio album) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ::::LAST DAY AT VAIL : MAY 3RD... ...SEE YOU SUCKERS THERE!::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35455ACC.D7D85425@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu> Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 23:27:56 -0500 From: The Refined and Lethal John Steed Subject: Re: TMBG: STD... please tear apart... (i'm posting this for discussions sake) Albeit that it probably won't do any more for TMBG's public image, but I don't think, and certainly hope, that that's not their main goal. It's like MST, they never tailored jokes for people, they just made their jokes and said the right people will get it. I for one don't see TMBG ever being an insanely popular, trendy, multi-platnum selling band because that's not who they are, and society as a whole tends to be stubborn in changing its ways. I could be wrong, but honestly, not arrogantly, I doubt it. I for one have never had the good fortune to make it to a live show yet. With any luck (preferably good luck) I'll see one in the next three years, but who knows. I haven't leaped into the big boot-leg circle yet, although I plan to try and get started this summer after my exams are over. As a result there are many TMBG songs out there that I've never heard. I think this live album is a good idea because it presents the unlucky fans (like me) to hear the unreleased songs. It also presents veteran fans with a quality (hopefully) recording of these songs and a grinding stone to focus and sharpen their fond memories on. And the case with most bands is that their live shows have a higher speed and energy than their studio work, a raw spirit that can add that much more to a song. Sure, if you don't know or like the band it's not going to make a difference, but to those who know and do care it means a lot more. There are drawbacks, but there always will be, and while I'd still like to see another studio album from the Giants soon, I'm eagerly anticipating the upcoming live album. I am dying, and I mean that in every literal sense of the word, to see the damn stick. I just hope I'm not building it up too much in my mind. Damn it, they'd better come to New Orleans or I'll....well, or I'll have to go see them somewhere else...but it'll be inconvenient, and I'll probably be grouchy the whole car trip...with the thing, and that guy...and....and...*sigh*, I'm not in a threatening mood tonight. Guess I should go study......YEAH, RIGHT. -Cornjob- -- "Have a Navy Marine Corps Day" -Old Dominion University's Naval ROTC homepage "The optimist thinks that this is the best of all possible worlds, and the pessimist knows it." -J. Robert Oppenheimer ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980427233431.006956c8@pop.indy.net> Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 23:34:31 -0400 From: rachel Subject: Re: TMBG: Severe Track Damage >Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: >Well, my first preference would be for anything unreleased. "Reprehensible" >and "Certain People" are both high on my list of tracks I'd like to be >released. I don't really care if they're live or studio tracks, as long as >the quality is good. > >I'd also like for there to be a version of "Spy" with something performed >during the improv section and a fast "WDTSS?" on there. What I don't >especially want on the album are live songs that sound almost exactly like, >or worse than, their album counterparts. ditto that! also, if "older" isn't on it i'm gonna cry. oh, and to all you people complaining about the live album- don't worry! the johns are geniouses, i'm sure that they'll some how make it worth our while. i mean, they haven't dissapointed us yet! just think about it this way: a bunch of people are going to buy it who probably don't have bootlegs. and when they say "who the hell is that freak screaming in the middle of the song?" you can say "hey, that was me! i'm on a tmbg record!" meow, rachel ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: <4fe50332.35455e97@aol.com> Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 00:44:05 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: STD... please tear apart... (i'm posting this for discussions sake) In a message dated 4/27/98 11:11:12 PM, tmbgirl@juno.com wrote: >i'm not saying that i don't love >what they're doing, i'm just saying that it's not gonna help someone in a >record store that's like "oh TMBG... i saw they on tiny toons... this >looks cool, i think i'll buy it" to listen to the cd and then really be >moved enough to want to go to a show of theirs (any more than they would >if it were just a studio album) Well that may be true to an extent, but I mean if you take into account the fan base, they know we're waiting for another album so it's not like it has the potential to do any damage, and maybe they know how much we love our bootlegs, they want to give us something. I don't know, but... I'm a... relativley *new* Ani DiFranco fan, I bought my first cd of hers last summer, and having just gotten her live album "Living in Clip" made me want to see her in concert like, 10 times more. so.. i don't honestly know. :} sarah linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 00:52:27 -0400 (EDT) From: 99 and 44/100% MIKe! Subject: TMBG: on the subject of STD Message-ID: While there has been no public announcement from the band regarding what will appear on this album, aside from a live in-studio Dr. Worm and possibly the Planet Of The Apes saga, the information I have suggests that this will definitely not be your average live album, and I expect the track selection to be very unusual and exciting. While it might not end up being the perfect live album for the average music listener, I feel that it is more important for the record to be good than it is to be widely accessible to non-fans. It would certainly be nice for the record to be both, but I would be disappointed if the record walked a traditional, middle of the road line rather than one which would be more inventive and unusual. Packing it full of old chestnuts that we've all heard a thousand times would not ultimately be the best idea, for though that familiarity might be soothing to those who know the band dimly or vaguely, the rest of us would be right to demand something more daring. I think that, as evidenced by the types of shows the band's been putting on for the past year or so, we should not expect traditional interpretations of their greatest hits, if such songs appear on the record, and we _can_ expect to hear some older material which has not been part of the live show for years and years like some other songs, as well as new material which we will all find exciting I am sure. I also expect that there will be a few very odd surprises which will be most pleasing to the hard-core fan. I'm sure they won't include songs which rely heavily on visual "gags", but of course they don't have to: the devices they employ on stage to enhance certain songs in the live context are very few and constantly change, and their body of work is so large that it is not necessary to fill the record with such material. I am sure we won't be made to listen to a live version of James K. Polk complete with the wheezing sound of the confetti cannon; they would not be so dumb as to include this. However, the Stick, though a prop, is also a percussive prop, and makes a sound which makes the song sound interesting, so it might not be a bad thing if its presence was felt on the record should they choose to do that. What is more important to note than whether or not they might be silly enough to fill the record with such moments is this: lately, and within the time frame that they have been recording shows for the record, they have displayed a penchant for drastically and entertainingly reworking some of their songs, and I am sure that some of these very excellent reinterpretations will appear on the record. I doubt very much that the performances of known songs on STD will actually sound just like the normal LP versions, as they certainly have not been performing these songs by the numbers lately. And it would be sad if we did get a by the numbers live album, and I am sure we won't, and I don't really care if the casual listeners finds it inaccessible, for all that really matters is that they make a great record, and I am sure they will. Do any of us really want them to put out a record that's less inventive and more commercial? Do we really think that's going to happen? Do we really care if the record kicks ass and some of our dumb friends ignore it? I don't give a flying fuck. MIKe www.journalx.com Last CD purchased: Big Audio Dynamite - Megatop Phoenix Last LP purchased: Kraftwerk - Computer World Last film seen: The Big One Number of times I've seen TMBG live: 12 Favourite vegetable after cauliflower: broccoli Most TMBG shows seen in one day: 2 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 23:16:01 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: STD... please tear apart... (i'm posting this for Message-ID: <19980427.233054.4638.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) > I >think this live album is a good idea because it presents the unlucky >fans >(like me) to hear the unreleased songs. and a regular studio album with the new songs wouldn't do the same thing? >It also presents veteran fans >with a >quality (hopefully) recording of these songs and a grinding stone to >focus >and sharpen their fond memories on. that's what i'm saying... this album appeals mostly to the "veteran fan" >that >their live shows have a higher speed and energy than their studio >work it seems to me that They relaly like to speed songs up at first and then will slow them down big time (ana ng, james ensor) > Sure, if you don't know >or >like the band it's not going to make a difference, but to those who >know and >do care it means a lot more. my point being again taht this won't hook a 'non-veteran fan' and if you're already a fan there's already a chance that you'll be going to their live show anyways (if they'd ever come around) so there's no point in trying to sell them on why they should come to their show... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ::::The Official Gum Bubble:::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #5-26 *****************************