Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #5-27 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 5, Number 27 Wednesday, 29 April 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: More of my Jealousy... TMBG: non-tmbg: Mono Puff, Talking Heads, & I promise I am not on crack :) Re: TMBG: Show tonight [April 17?] Re: TMBG: STD... please tear apart... (i'm posting this for discussions sake Re: TMBG: STD... please tear apart... (i'm posting this for discussions sake Re: TMBG: Severe Track Damage Re: TMBG: STD... please tear apart... (i'm posting this for Re: TMBG: Severe Track Damage Re: TMBG: STD... please tear apart... (i'm posting this for Re: TMBG: Severe Track Damage Re: TMBG: Address Change Re: TMBG: Severe Track Damage Re: TMBG: STD... please tear apart... (i'm posting this for discussions sake Re: TMBG: Severe Track Damage Re: TMBG: Address Change Re: TMBG: Severe Track Damage TMBG: Toad's Place Show TMBG: Did you know? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <3545D080.A45E80A4@pacificnet.net> Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 04:50:10 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: More of my Jealousy... Adam wrote: >seeing as how a good chunk of us saw the severe tire damage >tour, i'm curious to know what songs from which venue/show >everyone would like to see as the live tracks for the upcoming cd. >especially those of you who have extentsive bootlegs collections. As promised in an earlier post, I'm gonna try to bitch daily about the fact that They haven't come out West in a long time. I never saw one of these "Severe Tire Damage" tours so I can't participate in the above survey. When they do all those East coast shows they are far enough away from home that they need to stay in hotels and be separated from friends and family any way so why not fly out here for awhile (where they always get a great reception from the fans and the shows sell out). I suppose its not gonna happen. Oh, never mind. -B O N G O _____________________________________________ "I dance with my feet like my tongue when I eat" -Geggy Tah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199804281405.KAA24848@elvis.vnet.net> From: "Could be an Illusion" Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 10:05:42 -0500 Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg: Mono Puff, Talking Heads, & I promise I am not on crack :) -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Oopsie... Ok, running on 3 hours of sleep in the last 24, it's 90% pure latte power now and maybe that's why I thought I meant "Dashiki Lover" sounded like a Talking Heads tune. I didn't actually mean the thing I said... it's the new one, "Extra Crispy" or "Xtra Krispy" or "Shmoz Nov Ka-Pop", however you spell it. :) Sounds just like several of the catchier tunes on Speaking in Tongues! (The refrain, in particular, sounds like a bizarre cross between the refrain from "Girlfriend is Better" and Neil Young's "Southern Man" -- "I heard screamin' an' bullwhips crackin' / how long, how long, wayayaaayaaay...") More pointless observations from a pointless observer, eating rocks from the Moon, =] Carl Hudkins + Tape list available at =--> http://users.vnet.net/chud/ [y ] [t =] "If Mom had known she was expecting, she might've gone to St. John's [h ] instead of drinking her fill with a Sudafed..." [e =] --words I heard, instead of the real ones by They Might Be Giants [r -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: 2.6.2 Comment: Would you send mail without an envelope? iQCVAwUBNUXiNb5BFpotHh45AQF87QQA7Dg+1R3VxHfyX00x7FHoVUNCsGNLy5tX Dij6ycibhuc5LPDYuMW/EpclQDSzz6O/MT3ezVuuvQLBMX69vOAS/6lkHLxZaj4Y HWp9rRoMhYGq3P3H+zJXqvIjCaHYA3mbXJwUVZb+i1q3zUT4Pb6B4hD8NCUYkqzn Utrz5olYSB8= =/VYt -----END PGP SIGNATURE----- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199804281410.KAA26785@elvis.vnet.net> From: "Could be an Illusion" Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 10:10:46 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Show tonight [April 17?] -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- On Fri, 17 Apr 1998 19:09:45 -0400, Lee Steel wrote: A bit old, I know, but I've gotten a bit behind and am currently reading two to three hundred posts a day in order to catch up before I leave the country. :) >the Johns. Other odd additions included renditions of "Hey There Georgie Girl" , >"To All The Girls I've Loved Before", and "Emotional Rescue"...very curious. UT! I must get a tape of this show! If you taped it or have a good-quality tape, please contact me... Many thanks, sincerely, =] Carl Hudkins + Tape list available at =--> http://users.vnet.net/chud/ [y ] [t =] "If Mom had known she was expecting, she might've gone to St. John's [h ] instead of drinking her fill with a Sudafed..." [e =] --words I heard, instead of the real ones by They Might Be Giants [r -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: 2.6.2 Comment: Would you send mail without an envelope? iQCVAwUBNUXjZb5BFpotHh45AQHG2AQAgo6blEr47cUnbWoPQiMObTSGuLxo8Ab9 efxS/zxLSbiaFj4o2YjMKzlVrEeEeequDMgnlYFjm3P0eC3HETsxoZdKCGxgfrUW HzBNYReaP4tCtlZod30c4xk4c8rKEFPGl2/0crKy1XrHaNzDxQQ4OZnR5z7OxqZm pSoBkbTLhwc= =oKrV -----END PGP SIGNATURE----- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3546180A.38F1A32B@geocities.com> Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 10:55:24 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: STD... please tear apart... (i'm posting this for discussions sake) Joda: Master of Yedi wrote: Well, you've seen what she wrote, so I'm snipping it, and just writing my response here. Your assumption is that a band should only release a live album to attract people to their shows. This isn't necessarily true. Other reasons to release a live album are: 1) It saves time and money that would otherwise be spent in the recording studio. 2) Some songs sound better, or at least more interesting, live. Some people prefer the fast "WDTSS?" to the EP version, and a studio version of "Battle For The Planet Of The Apes" probably wouldn't work that well. In fact, some people probably prefer live music to studio music in all cases. (I'm not one of these people, but they probably exist.) 3) Plenty of other bands that have "very typical" live shows have released live albums, and I don't think it has harmed their careers or anything. This isn't really a reason why TMBG should release a live album, but... 4) From what I've heard, attendance at TMBG shows usually have decent attendance. Perhaps, instead of trying to use the album to attract people to Their shows, They are using the shows to try to attract people to the live album (and, perhaps, to other albums). 5) Why not? -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org or vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35461981.DF127839@geocities.com> Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 11:01:38 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: STD... please tear apart... (i'm posting this for discussions sake) Joda: Master of Yedi wrote: > > I > >think this live album is a good idea because it presents the unlucky > >fans > >(like me) to hear the unreleased songs. > > and a regular studio album with the new songs wouldn't do the same thing? Yes, it would. In fact, I would probably prefer a new studio album. As I mentioned in my other message, though, some songs sound better (or at least more "appropriate") when performed live, and recording songs from a consider is probably easier and cheaper than recording in the studio. -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org or vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35461A37.7981E628@geocities.com> Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 11:04:41 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: Severe Track Damage rachel wrote: > >Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > >Well, my first preference would be for anything unreleased. "Reprehensible" > >and "Certain People" are both high on my list of tracks I'd like to be > >released. I don't really care if they're live or studio tracks, as long as > >the quality is good. > > > >I'd also like for there to be a version of "Spy" with something performed > >during the improv section and a fast "WDTSS?" on there. What I don't > >especially want on the album are live songs that sound almost exactly like, > >or worse than, their album counterparts. > > ditto that! also, if "older" isn't on it i'm gonna cry. I've heard that "Older" will not be on the album. Maybe it'll be on an EP, though. (It probably won't, but we can always hope.) Speaking of EP's, I wonder if a "Planet of the Apes" EP would work. Putting all of the "Apes" songs on the album would probably be overkill, but a themed EP might be a good idea. I really don't know, though. -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org or vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 09:13:14 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: STD... please tear apart... (i'm posting this for Message-ID: <19980428.091322.11078.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) > a studio version of >"Battle >For The Planet Of The Apes" probably wouldn't work that well. if they threw stuff like that on the live album i'd say right on... they should release it... i just don't know if they will... just like i don't know if they'd release particle man with the sign in it or put 'to all the girls' or 'georgie girl' on the album because of the legality of it all... if they did, i think that would give the newbie listener a good idea as to what their shows are like, and that they don't just get up there and sing a bunch of their songs and go. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ::::The Official Gum Bubble:::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980428111439.006a3bd0@130.127.28.14> Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 11:14:39 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Severe Track Damage At 11:04 AM 4/28/98 -0700, Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > >I've heard that "Older" will not be on the album. Maybe it'll be on an EP, >though. (It probably won't, but we can always hope.) Speaking of EP's, I I'd rather hear a studio version on an EP... BTW, with all this talk about what'll be on STD, why not speculate on the Dr. Worm EP b-sides? I'd love to have Rat Patrol and Older on there... wonder >if a "Planet of the Apes" EP would work. Putting all of the "Apes" songs on the >album would probably be overkill, but a themed EP might be a good idea. I really >don't know, though. I can't see that happening. It's possible, but...I mean, they wouldn't even release the Edison Sessions EP... Another reason why I think TMBG should press special EPs and albums and release them through the info club. -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980428111813.006a5dfc@130.127.28.14> Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 11:18:13 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: STD... please tear apart... (i'm posting this for At 11:01 AM 4/28/98 -0700, Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > >Yes, it would. In fact, I would probably prefer a new studio album. As I >mentioned in my other message, though, some songs sound better (or at least >more "appropriate") when performed live, and recording songs from a consider >is probably easier and cheaper than recording in the studio. I'd certainly prefer a studio album. I hope STD is just an interim measure and not the "2 year" album... As for songs that sound better live, maybe they could just release them as EP b-sides...TMBG is one of the few bands I like that _haven't_ done that. -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35462122.F5D6B7E8@geocities.com> Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 11:34:12 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: Severe Track Damage Adam Tyner wrote: > At 11:04 AM 4/28/98 -0700, Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > > > >I've heard that "Older" will not be on the album. Maybe it'll be on an EP, > >though. (It probably won't, but we can always hope.) Speaking of EP's, I > > I'd rather hear a studio version on an EP... BTW, with all this talk about > what'll be on STD, why not speculate on the Dr. Worm EP b-sides? I'd love > to have Rat Patrol and Older on there... Well, we have received some information as to what will be on the album, but nothing about EP's, aside from the fact that "Dr. Worm" will be released as one. "Older" and "Rat Patrol" might be good choices, though, as would something new and different that we haven't yet heard. A "Dr. Worm" remix might also be interesting (as long as it isn't as obnoxious as that "S-E-X-X-Y" remix). For all we know, though, the "Dr. Worm" single might be a one-song deal. I certainly hope not, though. Besides, all of Their other albums have resulted in at least one EP, so STD probably won't be the exception. -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org or vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 13:57:00 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Address Change Message-ID: <19980428.140519.13038.1.Mr.Train@juno.com> Does anyone know how to change your address for the info club? I can't find my other issues (packed) and the official page has no info on change of address (that I could find) Can anyone help? Tim, need input Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: Twistin' Live Last CD purchase: Cherry Poppin' Daddies - Zoot Suit Riot _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 13:04:49 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Severe Track Damage Message-ID: <19980428.130558.4070.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) A "Dr. Worm" remix might >also be >interesting (as long as it isn't as obnoxious as that "S-E-X-X-Y" which sexxy remix? there's like 5... personally i don't much care for the warren rigg microwave mix on the S~E~X~X~Y EP. However, i dig all of the tee's remixes (freeze mix, in house dub, and cappella) and i actually enjoy the Warren Rigg instrumental one too... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ::::The Official Gum Bubble:::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 28 Apr 98 15:19 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: STD... please tear apart... (i'm posting this for discussions sake) I don't know, but... I'm a... >relativley *new* Ani DiFranco fan, I bought my first cd of hers last summer, >and having just gotten her live album "Living in Clip" made me want to see her >in concert like, 10 times more. so.. i don't honestly know. :} I have a love/hate relationship with live albums for just this very reason - I have a tendency to get very, very jealous when I listen to them. "Goddammit! Why wasn't I there!" I cry, nevermind the fact that I'm listening to a Simon & Garfunkel bootleg and I wasn't even a twinkle in my father's eye... Kirs -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "You think you're so funny, but looks aren't everything." - Lincoln "Wish You Were Dead" Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow ------------------------------ Message-ID: <354664E0.F22F4FB0@geocities.com> Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 16:23:14 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: Severe Track Damage Joda: Master of Yedi wrote: > A "Dr. Worm" remix might > >also be > >interesting (as long as it isn't as obnoxious as that "S-E-X-X-Y" > > which sexxy remix? there's like 5... > personally i don't much care for the warren rigg microwave mix on the > S~E~X~X~Y EP. However, i dig all of the tee's remixes (freeze mix, in > house dub, and cappella) and i actually enjoy the Warren Rigg > instrumental one too... I was referring to the Warren Rigg Microwave Mix. I wasn't aware that there were any other "S-E-X-X-Y" remixes. -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org or vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35466545.9F508B25@geocities.com> Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 16:24:55 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: Address Change mr.train@juno.com wrote: > Does anyone know how to change your address for the info club? I can't > find my other issues (packed) and the official page has no info on change > of address (that I could find) > Can anyone help? I really don't know, but I would guess that sending your new address to the Info Club address would be a good idea. -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org or vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ From: MatFoley99 Message-ID: Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 18:54:07 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Severe Track Damage In a message dated 98-04-28 00:37:18 EDT, Rachel writes: << also, if "older" isn't on it i'm gonna cry. >> Sorry, Rachel, but I don't think it is. I seriously hope I'm wrong, but I remember Linnell saying that it wasn't during the show in Orlando. It hurts me to break it to you, but I'll definately be a shoulder to cry on if you need it. Chris "Bad news" Brannan ------------------------------ From: Spoonerism Message-ID: <1bb374bb.35468c7d@aol.com> Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 22:12:12 EDT Subject: TMBG: Toad's Place Show Does anyone have a good tape of the Toad's Place Show last week? I left for Canada on that very day, and was more than a little upset at not being able to see Them again. Please respond to Spoonerism@aol.com thanks much! -CAsey ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980429025153.16093.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Jason F." Subject: TMBG: Did you know? Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 19:51:52 PDT Hey there's a neat little thing at the official sight that my friend Vaughn (who's joining the list soon) pointed out to me. I don't know if this is common knowledge or not so I figured I'd throw it out and see. At the first part of the page, click on the dial thing. Once you get the Dial a Song page, go to where the address is and delete the dial.html and hit enter. A new part of the page comes up. Click on the folder that says Sound next to it. There you will find a lot more downloadable dial a song files, which most of you have probably heard already. Again, I just found out about this and don't know if you all knew this or if you care. Just trying to be helpful. You can thank Vaughn when he joins the list. Also, I don't suppose anyone taped the recent Pittsburgh show? I would love to have it. --Jason-- "Hot Cha, where are you? Everybody's eyes are closed." - They Might Be Giants ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #5-27 *****************************