Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #5-3 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 5, Number 3 Saturday, 4 April 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: buffalo TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #5-2 TMBG: Concert Poster TMBG: Adrian college TMBG: Fwd: Deleware Show Info! TMBG: Buffalo query Re: TMBG: Buffalo query Re: TMBG: Concert Poster TMBG: non-tmbg: DOUBLE DONG @ MASSART TONITE TMBG: origins of Istanbul NON-TMBG: NON-Titanic, but came about through the Titanic subject... Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: DOUBLE DONG @ MASSART TONITE TMBG: TMBG Movie Poster Re: TMBG: Adrian college TMBG: famous tabs TMBG: HOORAY! for me, I'm going to see TMBG! Re: Non- TMBG: JJJ TMBG:A&E:Istanbul NON TMBG: Julie Plug NON TMBG: Julie Plug NON TMBG: Julie Plug NON TMBG: Julie Plug Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 02:22:27 EST Subject: TMBG: Re: buffalo In a message dated 4/3/98 2:09:34 AM, you wrote: >Has anyone heard anything about wether or not there is a Buffalo >concert? If anyone can get me some info on it I'd appreciate it. yes there is, at the Tralfmadore(?) on apr. 24th. and it's 18 and over. :P~ sarah http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35249324.1A8E810F@bitstream.net> Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1998 01:43:32 -0600 From: vu Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #5-2 > Anyone who is thinking about mailing to the TMBG list about Titanic.... > > D O N ' T ! ! ! isn't that technically titanic-related? > The wonderous "Heavenly Creatures", terrific Branagh "Hamlet", the 'heavenly creatures' is actually based on a real story about two close girls and one of them end up killing her mother in a park. it's directed by peter jackson, famed for 'braindead (aka deadalive)' and 'frighteners'-- he's a fave director of mine... sorry to bother you guys with non tmbg content... but prior to titanic, i didn't know kate winslet was in that. it really didn't matter as both actress were quite good. > Getting on my foot about Titanic (yes, I have a whole foot full of shit about that i think a more descriptive saying is "getting on the boat with titanic" > probably spent that much money on movies total, but not on one. Hell, I wouldn't pay > that much to see The Usual Suspects (best movie of all time) sixteen times. i think its safe to say that once you knew who soze was, it lost its novelty? its always fun to watch it with a friend (who hadn't seen it yet) vu -- http://www2.bitstream.net/~sleeper ------------------------------ From: ArwenAnaNg Message-ID: <6db92b90.3524e494@aol.com> Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 08:30:58 EST Subject: TMBG: Concert Poster << From: Robert Plass << Subject: TMBG: Random Ad I found << Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 11:18:26 -0500 << No connection between me and this; just thought it was cool: << http://www.concertposters.com/~legends/posters/theymit1.htm << Robert Plass Yes, it is very cool. I bought one! This site offers a fine selection of concert posters. Unfortunately, this is the only TMBG one they currently have in stock. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3524EECF.AE764E5C@mich.com> Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1998 09:14:40 -0500 From: Chapman Subject: TMBG: Adrian college Does anyone know how to get tickets to the show at Adrian College? Any help would very much appreciated. thankyou. goodnight. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980403151625.20774.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Amy Greenlese" Subject: TMBG: Fwd: Deleware Show Info! Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1998 07:16:24 PST Well, I don't have a WHOLE lot of info, but I'll give what I have. First of all, Deleware Ohio is about 25 miles north of Columbus, and the show will be held on the campus of Ohio Wesleyan University. it's an outdoor, all-day Spring Fest type concert, and opening for TMBG are Goldfinger, a punky kinda ska band (my brother's words, not mine) There are no tickets, but I haven't been able to find out if anyone is admitted or if you need to be with an OWU student. Soon as I find out any more info and a phone number for you to call, I'll let you know! **************** Amy Greenlese :) Music Educator Extraordinare http://www2.onu.edu/~stu1336 Q: How many surrealists does it take to screw in a lightbulb? A: Two. One to hold the giraffe, and one to fill the bathtub with brightly coloured machine tools. ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 11:27:40 -0500 (EST) From: 99 and 44/100% MIKe! Subject: TMBG: Buffalo query Message-ID: Hi kids, Can anyone tell me what sort of neighbourhood the Tralfalmadore is in? You know, shitty/not so shitty. I've braved the wilds of DC's 9.30 Club so I feel I'm ready for anything, but it always pays to be prepared. Thanks. MIKe *TMBG Info Club ID No: 18902* THE COOLEST PLACE TO BE - Mr Flippy's Red Light Funtime Party Hour --->http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy<--- AND: Check out the webzine JournalX at www.journalx.com ________________________________________________________________ "If you really want to hurt your parents and you don't have nerve enough to be homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts." --Kurt Vonnegut ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1998 11:45:33 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: TMBG: Buffalo query Message-id: <3525122D.14383316@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> 99 and 44/100% MIKe! wrote: > Can anyone tell me what sort of neighbourhood the Tralfalmadore is > in The Tralf is downtown on Main st (or route 3 too I think). It is on an ex-street that is now a trolley path. The entrance is upstairs above some bar/grill. I highly recommend the Breckenridge across the street as a place to eat. I've seen Moxy Fruvous there twice. One show was all ages and the other was 21+. One show they had tables all over the place, the other they cleared the tables for standing space. Pretty decent venue actually... On the end, I pasted the contents of a webpage about the Tralf. Hope this helps... - Chad "I bet Mike Leffel traded his computer for a ticket to see Titanic only to be go so radically disappointed in the ending because the old lady doesn't spit off the boat that he went into hiding in a cave in New Zealand (that lady should have spit, you know...)" Maloney * ------------------------------------------------------------------ Here's the contents of a web page on the Tralf for y'all: Address 640 Main Street (at Theatre Place), 2nd floor Buffalo, NY 14202 Public Transportation The NFTA train stops right in front on Main Street. Call NFTA at 855-7211 for information/schedule. Box Office Information Phone Numbers (716) 852-0522 Box Office Hours Monday, Wednesday through Friday 10:00AM-2:00PM Saturday 2:00PM-Showtime Sunday open at 5:00PM if an event is that night Open all shownights 4:00PM-Showtime Payment Accepted at Box Office Cash night of the show only, Visa, MC, and Amex Will Call Customer can pick up tickets 1 hour prior to the show. Customer must present the actual credit card used to place order,a photo i.d., and the order number. Parking There are various parking lots on Pearl, Franklin, and Chippewa Streets. There is also parking on the streets. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980403114616.0069e794@130.127.28.14> Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1998 11:46:16 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Concert Poster At 08:30 AM 4/3/98 EST, ArwenAnaNg wrote: > >Yes, it is very cool. I bought one! This site offers a fine selection of >concert posters. Unfortunately, this is the only TMBG one they currently have >in stock. The Fillmore consistently puts out the best concert posters I've ever seen. Have you seen the ones for the Residents from a few months back? Very, very cool.. -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 12:31:00 -0500 (EST) From: LN Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg: DOUBLE DONG @ MASSART TONITE Message-ID: Hey all you Bostonites, I forgot to tell y'all when and where the show Double Dong is at Massart tonite... it starts at 7, it's 5 bucks for all you non-massarters, and it's in North Hall in the SIM department. You take the "E" green line to the Longwood/Hospitals stop, get off, and you're at Massart.... cross the street, and enter the old brick and stone building with the big windows (South Hall), not the 6-story newer building (Kennedy) from there, either ask the guard (is there's one there) or follow the signs that should be up, or ask a student how to get to North Hall! Good luck! I might be there, I might not... -=ellen=- "Every seashell has a story to tell, if you're listening... But underneath every shell there's a story as well, if you've heard enough of the sea..." ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199804031814.NAA27141@sable.cc.vt.edu> Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1998 13:20:15 +0500 From: higs Subject: TMBG: origins of Istanbul Hey, for those of you who haven't discovered this yourselves, if you want to hear the original version of Istanbul (by The Four Lads, 1953) go to Jackyl's mp3 page (your welcome for the free advertisement, Jackyl!) It's at www.the-b.org/~jackyl/mp3 he's got a lot of other mp3s by Them as well there. ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot Message-ID: <972a470c.35252966@aol.com> Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 13:24:36 EST Subject: NON-TMBG: NON-Titanic, but came about through the Titanic subject... >>>The point is that people like different things, and if that >>>weren't true we'd all be boring and homogenized. Appreciate the >>>differences and like what you like; that's an easy code to live by, don'cha >>>think? >> >>Appreciate our difference. >>Everyone should live by this code. >>Hmmm. >> >"hmmmmm" exzactly. but that aside, yes, i understand that people like >different things- but does that mean we still can't argue and dissagree >(granted others' opinions ect, are still respected)? i think this world >would be pretty "boring and homogenized" if no one ever stated their >beleifs (and then get beat up, ha!). but, um, anyway, yeah. HOORAY! Yeah, I like all the discussions we have on this TMBG list, some are pointless, some are funny, some are profane (I spologize for that one,. REALLY). Anyway, I think it's good we are least speaking the differences. I don't think anyone on here is offended if we disagree with another person & I don't think anyone on this list is trying to be offensive (even if some people sound like they are sometime). Plus, sharing one's believes educates other's on different viewpoints. if we do it a lot, we become better people or have the urge to bake hams...well, maybe just I have the urge to bake hams when I start hearing people's opinions, but anyway, you get the idea... To give it some TMBG content: I think they should've ditched Leonardo & pick John Linnel to play the male lead in Titanic... Keep the differences coming!!! jason "I own two turn tables & a microphone" glastetter ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980403181632.8532.rocketmail@send1c.yahoomail.com> Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 10:16:32 -0800 (PST) From: Amanda Nichols Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: DOUBLE DONG @ MASSART TONITE > > Hey all you Bostonites, I forgot to tell y'all when and where the show > Double Dong is at Massart tonite... it starts at 7, it's 5 bucks for all > you non-massarters, and it's in North Hall in the SIM department. You know what's weird about this? I saw in the Boston Phoenix that Double Dong was listed in the music poll for "Best new R+B/Hip-Hop" category. Hmmm... Amanda _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19980403141307.00852ab0@pop.cwru.edu> Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1998 14:13:07 -0500 From: Jeff Roberts Subject: TMBG: TMBG Movie Poster In my efforts today to find some new posters for my room I stumbled upon this which might be of interest to some of the more collective type listies. Its a movie poster from the They Might Be Giants movie from which the band got its name. Pretty sly, eh. Here's the URL: http://www.cineposters.com/posters/They_might_be_giants.htm Jeff "You have to sleep late when you can. And all your bad days will end." -Flaming Lips Jeff Roberts President of Foolish Mortal Enterprises The Stylishly Violent God of Time and All Things Edible jlr3@po.cwru.edu modnar@one.net Visit the stylish schlock.org at http://schlock.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 15:06:43 -0500 From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: Re: TMBG: Adrian college >Does anyone know how to get tickets to the show at Adrian College? Any >help would very much appreciated. Here's the info my sis sent me regarding the concert: >The Adrian College - Student Activities Council Presents: >THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS >In concert >With opening act Lincoln > >Thursday, April 23, 1998 >8:00pm - Dawson Auditorium >Ticket Information: >Adrian College Students - Free with Adrian College ID >** Only 1 ticket per student ** >(Students tickets are available until Friday, April 17. After April 17, >students must pay the general admission price.) >General Admission - $15.00 >Tickets are available in the Office of Student Activities in Rush Union >For more information contact the Office of Student Activities > >Phone: (517) 264-3811 >Fax: (517) 264-3216 Hope this helps. As far as I know, TicketBastard is *not* handling the concert-- it will work the same as the Ypsi show last year. So call the number after the 17th. -- ,, Jonathan Chaffer http://www.tmbg.org/ ->QQ<- Student, University of Michigan _||_ "Anything ragged or rotten or rusty-- yes, I love trash." --Oscar ------------------------------ From: Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 14:34:43 CST Subject: TMBG: famous tabs Message-ID: <3F6A120571@athena.valpo.edu> i have some prelimiary tabs for the famous polka. no chords yet, but i have the lead guitar part 99% worked out, and last i checked, it wasn't available on tmbg.org. SO, i will type and post the tabs to the list under these two stipulations: 1. people actually express interest in it, and 2. everybody F-in shut up about F-in titanic. i'm sure there are many chatrooms dedicated to the worship of leonardo dicaprio, even though he is only thirteen and doesn't need to shave, that would love to hear your input, but i don't. my take on the titanic is...well if anybody really wants to know, they can email me individually. if i get no responses, i'll take it as meaning those people who posted all this crap about the movie just wanted to hear themselves talk. no more titanic messages, no more 'yeah we shouldn't talk about titanic' messages, just stop talking about it and you'll get your tabs. jeremy [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "Instead of creating new weapons of destruction, we ought to get some use out of the ones we already have." Deep Thoughts [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: or p356jskrenes@exodus.valpo.edu Wehrenberg Hall Airwaves: Sunday nights, 12-2am 95.1, WVUR Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot Message-ID: <8c241fe7.352547b0@aol.com> Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 15:33:50 EST Subject: TMBG: HOORAY! for me, I'm going to see TMBG! Ok, just thought I'd inform all listies going to see TMBG tonight (if any of you can make it, I know people had probably as many problems with transportation as I did), I will be there & for once we will all be united in a democratic ritual of symbolic stuff! It is my first paid for TMBG show & it makes me happy! Oh, happy day! Sorry, for this outburst, just informing y'all... jason "waxing ecstatic" glastetter ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 16:06:58 -0500 Subject: Re: Non- TMBG: JJJ Message-ID: <19980403.160658.5054.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> I just saw this commercial with a guy reading Variety and he says that MTV is recruiting VJs... and then he says "Just think, the next Triple J could be in that line" and then some lady says "There couldn't be another Triple J (or something like that)" obviously these guys are previous MTV VJs waaaaay before my time... there was also some guy named Mark something... Is this the Triple J that now has a radio gig in Austrailia? Tim, in the wind Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: Twistin' Live in NY (Thanks for comin' to our gig...) Last CD purchase: John Henry w/ extra CD _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <352524C7.1B6295FB@mix-net.net> Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1998 18:04:57 +0000 From: "Chris \"Feeny\" Campbell" Subject: TMBG:A&E:Istanbul I let my history teacher listen to Istanbul (not Constantanople), and she siad "They play that at the beginning of an A&E show about Istanbul". So I asked if it was the exact same as tmbg one, and she said "Sounds just like it". The 4Lads one sounds a Lot diffrent than tmbg's version. Anyone ever seen it? -Chris "fEenY" Campbell ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ TMBG SHRINE! Http://www.mix-net.net/~ccampbell HOLD ON A MIN. LET ME GET IT WORKING! E-mail - ccampbell@mix-net.net Or At - feeny@tmbg.org (After April 4th) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <01BD5F3B.E1D84C40@s116b.rcn.nmt.edu> From: Refund Subject: NON TMBG: Julie Plug Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 20:05:40 -0700 Ok. I don't mean to bother you all with non TMBG stuffs, but my life here in college is boring to the point where I have to report every cool thing that happens (Note how quiet I've been lately). Anyway, my school managed to get a band to play live at our Spring Fling party. The band's name is Julie Plug. They are GREAT!!! If they're ever anywhere near where any of you are, go see them. I bought their album right there (Only $12, no tax) and they were all four nice enough to sign the album cover. I also have a couple postcards they gave me. Only three though. The first three replies I get to this, as long as addresses are included, I'll mail them to. (Please respond to me personally at refund@nmt.edu) Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the state of New Mexico. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <01BD5F42.2890CB20@s116b.rcn.nmt.edu> From: Refund Subject: NON TMBG: Julie Plug Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 20:50:36 -0700 I would like to thank Mitchell Harding for responding so quickly. 2 more postcards left people...hurry...get 'em while they're hot! Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the state of New Mexico. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <01BD5F43.7F7EB5E0@s116b.rcn.nmt.edu> From: Refund Subject: NON TMBG: Julie Plug Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 21:00:13 -0700 Dylan Flipse was number two. One left. Let's see which one of you gets it, eh? Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the state of New Mexico. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <01BD5F43.F39DE220@s116b.rcn.nmt.edu> From: Refund Subject: NON TMBG: Julie Plug Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 21:03:27 -0700 Mr. Paul Swan was number three. I'm all out for now, but I'll try to get some more from them when they play tomorrow night. Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the state of New Mexico. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #5-3 ****************************