Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #5-7 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 5, Number 7 Thursday, 9 April 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: Mtv News Flash TMBG:parodies Re: nonTMBG: wilburies Re: non-TMBG: weird al Re: non-TMBG: weird al TMBG: Second Attempt at Psuedo-tMBg Lyrics TMBG: weird al parodies? Re: nonTMBG: wilburies Re: TMBG: weird al parodies? TMBG: No One Knows My Plan & OJ Simpson.... Re: TMBG: weird al parodies? Re: non-TMBG: weird al Re: TMBG: Mtv News Flash Re: TMBG: Mtv News Flash TMBG: Pitchfork Re: TMBG: Mtv News Flash non-TMBG: some dude. Re: TMBG: weird al parodies? Re: nonTMBG: wilburies Non-TMBG: I HATE KURT LOADER! Re: TMBG: Pitchfork Re: TMBG: weird al parodies? TMBG: Brian Dewan in the NYTimes Re: TMBG: Mtv News Flash Re: TMBG: Mtv News Flash Re: TMBG: Mtv News Flash TMBG: The Four Lads Re: TMBG: Mtv News Flash Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <352B3D1E.AF9BF6A6@tmbg.org> Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 02:02:22 -0700 From: that Nonsense Subject: TMBG: Mtv News Flash News Flash: The words "They Might Be Giants" pass through Serena Altschul's lips on Mtv news, Flansburgh having directed Ben Folds Five's video "Song For the Dumped," a song which appears on two albums, a soundtrack and now its own single and features the lyrics: "Gimme my money back, I want my money back, you bitch." -- "If you want to know what a dead man's relatives really think of him, a good rough test is the weight of his tombstone." --George Orwell =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ Ruprecht's Crazed Homepage http://freshnet.de/user/ruprecht/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19980408071650.006c8650@postoffice.brown.edu> Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 07:16:50 -0400 From: Sara P Grady Subject: TMBG:parodies I've written some parodies (and I know some other people who have as well...you know who you are.) I was dared to do all of Factory Showroom, but I only made it about 1/3 of the way through before I was told to please stop. ;-) I humbly present "I Am Just a Crazy Scientist"...you can figure out the tune. There were 87 goldfish in the water now there's 30 left. I killed 37 but what happened to the other ten? Why do I maliciously kill my goldfish and cease to clean their tank, As I scrape out all the algae and I fill the fish tank up again. Don't interrupt me as I flush the corpses down the bowl Have some respect for someone more sadistic than yourself cuz' I'm not weird; I am just a crazy scientist. Filling evry pocket of my shirt pant and overcoat, They are filled with so much crap that I don't think I can find my notes. Blowing my nose and keeping a sample I smile and face bacteria entering my cuts and smiling with a grip on my white blood cells And as I cough and hack and try to blame my sick colleague I realize the only sick one here is me and I'm not weird I am just a crazy scientist, and I may have made a breakthrough yet! I want to study you. I want to study you. My lab coat means I get to use a fancy microscope And poke and prod at stuff that died a real long time ago. I'm not weird, I am just a crazy scientist, you see I'm a biologist, I won't be crazy till I'm a physicist! Sara ><,'> Nekton@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19980408123740.007da280@mail-in.keme.net> Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 12:37:40 +0100 From: Captain Smoothy Subject: Re: nonTMBG: wilburies At 23:53 07/04/98 EDT, you wrote: >In a message dated 4/7/98 11:11:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time, >J.Kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu writes: > >> About a year or so after that, he was in the >> > Traveling Wilburys with Tom Petty, Jeff Lynne and Roy Orbison. >> >> and bob dylan. > >you can't forget everyone;s favorite drummer to make fun of.....Ringo Starr > > Hehehehehehehe.... Ringo starr.... Hehehehehehehe.... PS: I have never heard of "Weird Al".... are there any Mp3 sites with him on? -- COLIN ELLESLEY -- AKA: Uncle Squid, Stormy Pinkness, Triangle man, Thick Brit Editor/Partner: USM-RIP Distributor: Elite clothing and all 'round nice fella Home Page: Http://www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/ TMBG fan page: Http://members.xoom.com/uncle_squid/xoom/ ===================================== ===================================== "The North and the South are divided no more, so you and I can be equilly poor, and all the things I love you for, won't pay for food and gas, and flattery will get you nowhere fast" - carter usm "Nowhere Fast" ===================================== ===================================== ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980408091318.006a00f0@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 09:13:18 -0700 From: J Chen Subject: Re: non-TMBG: weird al jim wrote: >> also that song "Money" by george michael >> It's gonna taake time...a whole lot of precious time.... > >i know you're going to find me just waaaaaaaay too picky about all this, >but it was "(i've got my mind) set on you" by george harrison. I can out-picky you, Jim! The song was apparently an old song that Harrison merely covered. "(I Got My Mind) Set On You" was written by Rudy Clark, who also wrote a bunch of old '50's/'60's stuff like "If You Got To Make A Fool Of Somebody." On Weird Al: Remember, non-hard-core Weird Al afficionados, Al writes _two_ kinds of parodies: direct parodies and style parodies. In direct parodies, he keeps the song and instrumentation, but changes the words (Eat It, Smells Like Nirvana, Ricky, etc.). With the style parodies, he makes a song that is in the style that he is parodying; most of the time, the style is the distinct one of an established artist: "Dog Eat Dog"=Talking Heads, "Dare To Be Stupid"=Devo, "Velvet Elvis"=The Police, "Trigger Happy"=Beach Boys, "Mr. Popeil"=B-52's, "When I Was Your Age"=Don Henley... Style parodies with probably no particular artist in mind: "Gonna Buy Me A Condo"=Reggae, "Twister"=Rap (although very much like Beastie Boys), "Generic Blues"=Blues, "Christmas At Ground Zero"=Christmas Carol, "Good Enough For Now"=Country... basically, he loves to go through all sorts of genres and give them his own spin. Yours to chew on, --LVJeff ==========================_______________________________________... . . . | from LVJeff | Kerim Bey: "But I am already in your debt." | friend to Lan's tigers | James Bond: "How can a friend be in debt?" | alecson@ucla.edu | ========================== - From Russia with Love ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980408121652.006a2cb8@130.127.28.14> Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 12:16:52 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: non-TMBG: weird al At 09:13 AM 4/8/98 -0700, J Chen wrote: >"Dog Eat Dog"=Talking Heads, "Dare To Be Stupid"=Devo, "Velvet Elvis"=The >Police, "Trigger Happy"=Beach Boys, "Mr. Popeil"=B-52's, "When I Was Your >Age"=Don Henley... Actually, "Trigger Happy" isn't a Beach Boys style parody...I seem to remember Al saying something like that in an old issue of the Midnight Star...it's some other artist from that period whose name I can't remember. >basically, he loves to go through all sorts of genres and give them his own >spin. Kind of like TMBG! I knew I'd get some TMBG content in here somewhere. :) -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 10:23:49 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: Second Attempt at Psuedo-tMBg Lyrics Message-ID: On Tue, 7 Apr 1998, jim wrote: hee hee!! i pick up your gauntlet, o jim! ... > "The Big Sinking Ship" > > (To the melody of "Everything Right Is Wrong Again") > > The ship of might is back again > But now in a long long movie > All the crewmen still died > and the plot kept lying > but everyone still stayed groovy tell me if it's overdone, my friend tell me does it justify the end? don't you know the recent talk is just about the box office, and don't you get the feeling that the ship in the night is back again take the lemon from your tea again whistle over port and bustle over starboard load the women at the very beginnin' > The ship of might is back again > But now in a long long movie > All the crewmen still died > and the plot kept lying > but everyone still stayed groovy > > And now we talk about it now > And now we talk about it now > And now we talk about it now > We talk about it now eeeeverything up is dooooown again every sailor falls, every foreigner's lost again every five-pound diamond, even spit tell me that your life boat floats upstream draw the limey gun and spray the screen you know everything the boat is gonna sink it splits in half; what a sorry raft to say the ship in the night is back again take the lemon from your tea again whistle over port and bustle over starboard load the women at the very beginnin' > The ship of might is back again > But now in a long long movie > All the crewmen still died > and the plot kept lying > but everyone still stayed groovy > > And now we talk about it now > And now we talk about it now > And now we talk about it now > We talk about it now --jim kuemmerle, who wanted to include a verse about the suffering people of the world, but couldn't figure out where to put it into the song... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu SKULL MOUNTAIN: we'll meet at the end of the tour... http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/skullmountain.html ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9804081625.AA06015@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: weird al parodies? Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 12:25:13 -0400 (EDT) > On Weird Al: Remember, non-hard-core Weird Al afficionados, Al writes > _two_ kinds of parodies: direct parodies and style parodies. In direct > parodies, he keeps the song and instrumentation, but changes the words (Eat > It, Smells Like Nirvana, Ricky, etc.). With the style parodies, he makes a > song that is in the style that he is parodying; most of the time, the style > is the distinct one of an established artist: > > "Dog Eat Dog"=Talking Heads, "Dare To Be Stupid"=Devo, "Velvet Elvis"=The > Police, "Trigger Happy"=Beach Boys, "Mr. Popeil"=B-52's, "When I Was Your > Age"=Don Henley... > > Style parodies with probably no particular artist in mind: "Gonna Buy Me A > Condo"=Reggae, "Twister"=Rap (although very much like Beastie Boys), > "Generic Blues"=Blues, "Christmas At Ground Zero"=Christmas Carol, "Good > Enough For Now"=Country... basically, he loves to go through all sorts of > genres and give them his own spin. While I do consider at least some of Al's songs parodies, I wouldn't consider all of them to be so. Or at least I wouldn't consider "Everything You Know is Wrong" to be a parody from what I've heard about Al and this song. Parody: 1 : a literary or musical work in which the style of an author or work is closely imitated for comic effect or in ridicule 2 : a feeble or ridiculous imitation I suppose there is some comic effect in "Everything You Know is Wrong" but it's not done to ridicule TMBG's song nor is it really a feeble or ridiculous imitation. -Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980408163247.25873.rocketmail@send1d.yahoomail.com> Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 09:32:47 -0700 (PDT) From: Amanda Nichols Subject: Re: nonTMBG: wilburies > > > About a year or so after that, he was in the > > > Traveling Wilburys with Tom Petty, Jeff Lynne and Roy Orbison. > > > > and bob dylan. > > you can't forget everyone;s favorite drummer to make fun of.....Ringo Starr Eh? Ringo wasn't in the Wilburys... Jeff Lynne (from ELO) played the drums. Ringo does have is "All Starr" (ha ha) band.... maybe you're thinking of that.. Amanda _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980408125952.006a3630@130.127.28.14> Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 12:59:52 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: weird al parodies? At 12:25 PM 4/8/98 -0400, Matthew James wrote: >While I do consider at least some of Al's songs parodies, I wouldn't >consider all of them to be so. Or at least I wouldn't consider >"Everything You Know is Wrong" to be a parody from what I've heard about >Al and this song. I agree with you, but Al himself calls those songs "style parodies" (again, in an issue of the Midnight Star)...I find that to be a pretty inaccurate name, but that's what he calls 'em. (shrugs) -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot Message-ID: Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 13:19:59 EDT Subject: TMBG: No One Knows My Plan & OJ Simpson.... Well, someone (actual several people) were talking about TMBG parodies & how they are tributes, anyway, if I can find it, I will post the one I wrote a few years ago to the tune of No One Knows My Plan & at the time OJ Simpson was popular, so it was from the perspective of him singing, the begininng was unchanged... jason "the juice is loose" glastetter ------------------------------ Message-ID: <352BDB05.D0D83CCE@geocities.com> Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 13:16:08 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: weird al parodies? Matthew James wrote: > While I do consider at least some of Al's songs parodies, I wouldn't > consider all of them to be so. Or at least I wouldn't consider > "Everything You Know is Wrong" to be a parody from what I've heard about > Al and this song. > Parody: > 1 : a literary or musical work in which the style of an author or work > is closely imitated for comic effect or in ridicule > 2 : a feeble or ridiculous imitation > > I suppose there is some comic effect in "Everything You Know is Wrong" > but it's not done to ridicule TMBG's song nor is it really a feeble or > ridiculous imitation. Ah, but your own definition says "for comic effect OR in ridicule," which does not mean that it has to be for both comic effect AND ridicule. Still, I see your point. -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ Message-ID: <352BDC0F.B41B692E@geocities.com> Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 13:20:33 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: non-TMBG: weird al Adam Tyner wrote: > At 09:13 AM 4/8/98 -0700, J Chen wrote: > >"Dog Eat Dog"=Talking Heads, "Dare To Be Stupid"=Devo, "Velvet Elvis"=The > >Police, "Trigger Happy"=Beach Boys, "Mr. Popeil"=B-52's, "When I Was Your > >Age"=Don Henley... > > Actually, "Trigger Happy" isn't a Beach Boys style parody...I seem to > remember Al saying something like that in an old issue of the Midnight > Star...it's some other artist from that period whose name I can't remember. I think "Trigger Happy" is a style parody of the "surfer" music that the Beach Boys made famous. I've heard that it actually sounded more like Jan & Dean, who based their own style on that of the Beach Boys. I can't recall ever hearing any Jan & Dean, so I cannot attest to this fact. -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980408172805.10028.rocketmail@send1e.yahoomail.com> Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 10:28:05 -0700 (PDT) From: Amanda Nichols Subject: Re: TMBG: Mtv News Flash > The words "They Might Be Giants" pass through Serena Altschul's lips > on Mtv news, Flansburgh having directed Ben Folds Five's video "Song For > the Dumped," a song which appears on two albums, a soundtrack and now > its own single and features the lyrics: "Gimme my money back, I want my > money back, you bitch." And don't forget to give me back my black t-shirt. I'd be more impressed if Kurt Loader had passed the news on. Gotta love Kurt, man. A soundtrack? I know that there's a studio version of "dumped" on Whatever and Ever, Amen, and an early live recording on "Naked Baby Photos." I thought that BFF's only soundtrack song was "Bad Idea." AManda _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19980408145134.00850970@pop.cwru.edu> Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 14:51:34 -0400 From: Jeff Roberts Subject: Re: TMBG: Mtv News Flash > A soundtrack? I know that there's a studio version of "dumped" on >Whatever and Ever, Amen, and an early live recording on "Naked Baby >Photos." I thought that BFF's only soundtrack song was "Bad Idea." > AManda The first release of Song for the Dumped was on the Mr. Wrong soundtrack, a rather blah film staring Ellen and some dude. Jeff "Now that's all I can think of, but I'm sure there's something else, Way down inside me I can feel it coming back." -They Might Be Giants Jeff Roberts President of Foolish Mortal Enterprises http://schlock.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 15:57:42 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Pitchfork Message-ID: <19980408.155743.15014.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> Hey, I found this while surfing for BFF pages... The main menu has a LOT of bands incl. BFF, Soul Coughing, ad lots more... the interview w/ TMBG is split into 4 cat. Pink, Lincoln, Flood, and ummm.. something else... oh well, wheck it out... http://www.live-wire.com/interviews/tmbg/ Tim, just got Rant N' Rave & Built for Speed (Stray Cats), Knife Feels Like Justice (B. Setzer) and So (P. Gabriel) ALL ON 12" LP VINYL! A new independent music store opened near me! I AM STOKED!!! Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: We've Got A World... Last CD purchase: John Henry w/ Bonus Tracks Next Concerts: Big Head Todd (May 8) The Connells (June 6) Dave M Band (???) _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 16:05:17 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Mtv News Flash Message-ID: <19980408.160517.15014.1.Mr.Train@juno.com> Ben Folds Five is doing a song for the Godzilla soundtrack... That should clear up the confusion.. I think that soundtrack might be ok... I gotta cut back on the CD buying though.. I spent $60 on 2 TMBG CDs (JH import and Dr. Spock) that's enough... Tim, well maybe I'll but Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: WGAWTSwings Last CD purchase: JH w/ bonus disc On Wed, 08 Apr 1998 02:02:22 -0700 that Nonsense writes: >News Flash: > The words "They Might Be Giants" pass through Serena Altschul's >lips >on Mtv news, Flansburgh having directed Ben Folds Five's video "Song >For >the Dumped," a song which appears on two albums, a soundtrack and now >its own single and features the lyrics: "Gimme my money back, I want >my >money back, you bitch." > >-- > "If you want to know what a dead man's relatives really think of >him, a good rough test is the weight of his tombstone." > --George Orwell >=================I wish that I could jump out of my >.sig================ > >Ruprecht's Crazed Homepage http://freshnet.de/user/ruprecht/ > > > > _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 14:24:46 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: non-TMBG: some dude. Message-ID: On Wed, 8 Apr 1998, Jeff Roberts wrote: > The first release of Song for the Dumped was on the Mr. Wrong soundtrack, a > rather blah film staring Ellen and some dude. 'some dude' being bill pullman, who seemed like he was parodying his previous roles in things like 'sleepless in seattle'... --jim kuemmerle, who in double-checking this answer found that bill pullman has been in a total of 31 major release movies over the span of 12 years!... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu SKULL MOUNTAIN: we'll meet at the end of the tour... http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/skullmountain.html ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980408211346.006ecfe4@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 16:13:46 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: weird al parodies? >Parody: >1 : a literary or musical work in which the style of an author or work >is closely imitated for comic effect or in ridicule >2 : a feeble or ridiculous imitation >I suppose there is some comic effect in "Everything You Know is Wrong" >but it's not done to ridicule TMBG's song nor is it really a feeble or >ridiculous imitation. >-Matt It says *or* in there, that means it doesn't have to have malicious intent, ergo it still fits in the great form of Parody. LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980408211633.006d2ec8@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 16:16:33 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: nonTMBG: wilburies > Eh? Ringo wasn't in the Wilburys... Jeff Lynne (from ELO) played >the drums. Ringo does have is "All Starr" (ha ha) band.... maybe >you're thinking of that.. Ringo used to play drums for Tom Petty. I don't know what this Wilburies is, but that might of been what confused him. LDB, ONE LINE POSTS ALL THE WAY! -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980408212330.006d9aac@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 16:23:30 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Non-TMBG: I HATE KURT LOADER! > I'd be more impressed if Kurt Loader had passed the news on. Gotta >love Kurt, man. Oh, boy. You sure got that wrong. I utterly HATE, yes HATE, Kurt Loader. I used to think he was cool until he insulted my friend durring a commercial break. PLUS, isn't the standard Viewing audience for MTV expecting 3 year olds on there? They have to bring in younger and younger people every year and fire the old guys, so why the hell is that idiot still working for them? LDB, take that senator Roberts... -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 15:26:48 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Pitchfork Message-ID: <19980408.152828.13830.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) >the interview w/ TMBG is split into 4 cat. >Pink, Lincoln, Flood, and ummm.. something else... oh well, wheck it >out... > >http://www.live-wire.com/interviews/tmbg/ yeah they had planned on doing interviews on each of the albums but it never materialized... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9804082124.AA06204@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: weird al parodies? Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 17:24:48 -0400 (EDT) > >Parody: > >1 : a literary or musical work in which the style of an author or work > >is closely imitated for comic effect or in ridicule > >2 : a feeble or ridiculous imitation > >I suppose there is some comic effect in "Everything You Know is Wrong" > >but it's not done to ridicule TMBG's song nor is it really a feeble or > >ridiculous imitation. > >-Matt > > It says *or* in there, that means it doesn't have to have malicious intent, > ergo it still fits in the great form of Parody. > I've had a few people mail me about this so I'd like to comment. While there is an 'or' in there, I think the main intent of the 'or' is to mean 'in other words'. If you look at the definition it is littered with words such as ridicule, feeble, and ridiculous, surely the intent is towards a poor or made-fun-of representation of that artist's work. -Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: Robert Plass Subject: TMBG: Brian Dewan in the NYTimes Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 19:26:32 -0400 Hello exquisite living people, Check out this cool picture of Brian Dewan at: http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/98/04/circuits/articles/02chic.html Hurry before they delete the html!! Robert Plass ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980408195901.00a266b0@mail.csrlink.net> Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 19:59:01 -0400 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: Re: TMBG: Mtv News Flash At 10:28 AM 4/8/98 -0700, you wrote: > >> The words "They Might Be Giants" pass through Serena Altschul's >lips >> on Mtv news, Flansburgh having directed Ben Folds Five's video "Song >For >> the Dumped," a song which appears on two albums, a soundtrack and now >> its own single and features the lyrics: "Gimme my money back, I >want my >> money back, you bitch." > And don't forget to give me back my black t-shirt. > I'd be more impressed if Kurt Loader had passed the news on. Gotta >love Kurt, man. I'm just impressed that someone can spell Altschul. I know I can't. I doubt that even the amazing Mike Leffel could. But, hey, yah never know. Dylan "Stopped watching MTV when he turned it on twice in two weeks and both times they were showing that video by Jimmy Ray" Flipse What kinda name is Jimmy Ray anyway? P.S.-Someone said they found an MP3 of Everything You Know is Wrong. I'd be interested in the URL as I am far too busy to find it or ask a friend for the album. Dylan Flipse...one of them. - dflipse@csrlink.net Dylan's page is at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ for now. I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed -They Might Be Giants, the coolest thing this side of Zaphod Beeblebrox. ------------------------------ From: Cajun Gram Message-ID: <9737d9fc.352c106c@aol.com> Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 20:03:54 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Mtv News Flash In a message dated 98-04-08 20:00:55 EDT, you write: << >> The words "They Might Be Giants" pass through Serena Altschul's >lips >> on Mtv news, Flansburgh having directed Ben Folds Five's video "Song >For >> the Dumped," a song which appears on two albums, a soundtrack and now >> its own single and features the lyrics: "Gimme my money back, I >want my >> money back, you bitch." > And don't forget to give me back my black t-shirt. > I'd be more impressed if Kurt Loader had passed the news on. Gotta >love Kurt, man. I'm just impressed that someone can spell Altschul. I know I can't. I doubt that even the amazing Mike Leffel could. But, hey, yah never know. Dylan "Stopped watching MTV when he turned it on twice in two weeks and both times they were showing that video by Jimmy Ray" Flipse >> Does anyone Highschool age remember when Serena Altshul was on that dear to our heart (sarcasm) 15 min. educational program at the beginnining of each day, Channel 1? Graham "Hanson are not educational" Amsden ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 8 Apr 98 22:11 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Mtv News Flash >I'm just impressed that someone can spell Altschul. I know I can't. I still get Channel One flashbacks every time I see her one there... Kirsten -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "You think you're so funny, but looks aren't everything." - Lincoln "Wish You Were Dead" Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow ------------------------------ From: Shaft137 Message-ID: <7af30362.352c3bc7@aol.com> Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 23:08:53 EDT Subject: TMBG: The Four Lads hi. i remember someone one the list asking if they had ever heard the original version of Istanbul done by the Four Lads. i have an actual copy of the song and am willing to send anyone a copy of it. it's the entire song in a wav file (sorry, i've yet to get one of those mp3 player-maker-thingys) and is about 3 megs. to anyone interested drop me a line. adam schaaf, spreading TMBG joy and mirth where ever he may roam. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980409035146.006e94f4@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 22:51:46 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: Mtv News Flash >Does anyone Highschool age remember when Serena Altshul was on that dear to >our heart (sarcasm) 15 min. educational program at the beginnining of each >day, Channel 1? Yep. My school incidently is a chanel one flagship school. The last flagship production involved two of our projects. We also had the Kansas senators in for a town hall meeting which will probably make it into the flagship production. :), and next year I'll probably be on student produced week, I'm sure I can beat everyone else, :P. LDB, "Once, in the preliminaries my school was qualified for every part, but they wanted student produced week, not Hutch High produced week." -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #5-7 ****************************