Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #5-8 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 5, Number 8 Friday, 10 April 1998 Today's Topics: NON TMBG: Testing... TMBG: Big Bad Voodoo Daddy? Re: Non-TMBG: I LOVE KURT Re: TMBG: Big Bad Voodoo Daddy? TMBG: Re: nonTmbg:wilburies NON-TMBG: Big Bad Voodoo Daddy? TMBG: Re: TMBG Jan & Dean TMBG: bumper stickers TMBG: Bid Bad VooDoo Daddy Re: TMBG: bumper stickers TMBG: UK TMBG: Ringo TMBG: Channel One Re: non-TMBG: weird al TMBG: UK Re: Non-TMBG: I LOVE KURT Re: TMBG: UK TMBG: Traveling Wilburys Re: TMBG: Channel One Re: TMBG: Channel One Re: TMBG: weird al parodies? Re: TMBG: bumper stickers TMBG: I LOVE KURT..actually... Non-TMBG: Kurt, Kurt, and BBVDaddy TMBG: White tornado my foot TMBG: seeds for an ERIWA interp? Re: TMBG: Big Bad Voodoo Daddy? TMBG: Re: Second Attempt at Psuedo-tMBg Lyrics Re: TMBG: White tornado my foot TMBG: More OWU inquiries... Re: TMBG: White tornado my foot Re: TMBG: seeds for an ERIWA interp? TMBG: Philly show, Istanbul and White Tornadoes Re: TMBG: White tornado my foot Non-TMBG: Steve Buscemi non TMBG: Sir Millard Mulch TMBG: Fan's tribute site updated (and then some) Re: TMBG: seeds for an ERIWA interp? Re: TMBG: bumper stickers TMBG: Sleeping TMBG: Re: tmbg-Linnell TMBG: Re: SNL, philly, jim, stickers, TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #4-440 TMBG: road signs NONTMBG: Big Bad Voodoo Daddy... Re: TMBG: Philly show, Re: TMBG: Philly show, Istanbul and White Tornadoes Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <000501bd637d$3eeca580$481e8a81@refund.rcn.nmt.edu> From: "Refund" Subject: NON TMBG: Testing... Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 00:03:13 -0600 This is a test of my stupid new email program...sorry for the spam. It won't let me email to myself directly though. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <352C6FC0.51B6@ix.netcom.com> Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 23:50:40 -0700 From: The Faulconers Organization: Southland Sheltie Rescue, Inc. Subject: TMBG: Big Bad Voodoo Daddy? > From: mr.train@juno.com > Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 16:05:17 -0400 > Subject: Re: TMBG: Mtv News Flash > Message-ID: <19980408.160517.15014.1.Mr.Train@juno.com> > > Ben Folds Five is doing a song for the Godzilla soundtrack... > That should clear up the confusion.. I think that soundtrack might be > ok... I gotta cut back on the CD buying though.. > I spent $60 on 2 TMBG CDs (JH import and Dr. Spock) that's enough... > > Tim, well maybe I'll but Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Well, I just resubed to this list and am happy to see that it still exists. And even more thrilled to find out there will be a new TMBG album! I was amazed to read the line above, though! Do you mean the swing band Big Bad Voodoo Daddy? I can't imagine that there would be more than ONE band with this name BUT....I thought they were just *our* local swing band! Do you live in Ventura County, California? Because this band plays small clubs and coffee shops around here and the trombonist is my next-door-neighbor's trombone teacher! I didn't think anyone had ever bought one of their albums unless they lived here! I just had to ask, I was so amazed to read that name! Because you have WGAWTS as your fave TMBG song, (that may be mine too, today) maybe you are a swing fan and found them that way. Big Bad Voodoo Daddy is a great band, though! Kathleen > Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G > AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) > Favorite TMBG song update: WGAWTSwings > Last CD purchase: JH w/ bonus disc ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 23:46:40 -0700 Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: I LOVE KURT Message-ID: <19980408.234652.16454.0.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Josh Nielsen) Speaking of Kurt, let's all have a moment of silence of Kurt Cobain, who died four years ago on this day (Apr. 8) Josh jnielsen69@juno.com http://www.angelfire.com/or/jnielsen/ http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Studio/4091 ICQ #1337243 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980409004712.006b0678@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 00:47:12 +0000 From: Josh Morgan Subject: Re: TMBG: Big Bad Voodoo Daddy? At 11:50 PM 4/8/98 -0700, you wrote: >Do you mean the swing band Big Bad Voodoo Daddy? I can't imagine that >there would be more than ONE band with this name BUT....I thought they >were just *our* local swing band! Do you live in Ventura County, >California? Because this band plays small clubs and coffee shops around >here and the trombonist is my next-door-neighbor's trombone teacher! I >didn't think anyone had ever bought one of their albums unless they >lived here! I just had to ask, I was so amazed to read that name! Hey Kathleen, i'm from ventura county too... ventura city actually. big bad voodoo daddy played at buena's prom my sophomore year ('95). BBVD were pretty much an exclusive local band until they hit it 'big time' like 2 years ago. they were the swing band in the movie "swingers". i recognized one of their songs was in a Lexus commercial. in fact, they were on late night w/ conan o'brian last week. big bad voodoo daddy is a great band and all, but they pale in comparission to TMBG. it's just too bad the johns don't play shows in the southern california area as much as BBVD. actually, TMBG hasn't been to ventura in over 5 years and every one of their recent (RECENT... ha!) concerts in the entire southern cali. area has been 21 or over (like at the house of blues) . for this tragic reason, i've NEVER seen TMBG live!! so please, i beg my fellow so. cal. listies to unite and plead the johns to tour west of the rockies, preferable in a NON-'bar' cuz i still got 2 more years (unless i can get ahold of a good fake ID, wink wink, nudge nudge) before i can legally go to shows in bars. Josh "16 lets you drive, 17 gets you into R flicks w/o parent, 18 lets you vote, die for your country, etc, but 19 don't get you jack SH*T!" Morgan ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.16.19980409073607.3ddf8920@muc.muohio.edu> Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 07:36:07 From: Chris Combs Subject: TMBG: Re: nonTmbg:wilburies >Message-ID: <19980408163247.25873.rocketmail@send1d.yahoomail.com> >Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 09:32:47 -0700 (PDT) >From: Amanda Nichols >Subject: Re: nonTMBG: wilburies > > Eh? Ringo wasn't in the Wilburys... Jeff Lynne (from ELO) played >the drums. Ringo does have is "All Starr" (ha ha) band.... maybe >you're thinking of that.. > Amanda Actually, Ringo is one of the Wilburies. You just won't find him on Volume One or Volume Three. Chris Combs aka Piglet Goat Boy http://muc.muohio.edu/~goatboy/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980409114053.006a95c0@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 06:40:53 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: NON-TMBG: Big Bad Voodoo Daddy? >I was amazed to read the line above, though! >Do you mean the swing band Big Bad Voodoo Daddy? I can't imagine that >there would be more than ONE band with this name BUT....I thought they >were just *our* local swing band! Do you live in Ventura County, >California? Because this band plays small clubs and coffee shops around >here and the trombonist is my next-door-neighbor's trombone teacher! I >didn't think anyone had ever bought one of their albums unless they >lived here! I just had to ask, I was so amazed to read that name! >Because you have WGAWTS as your fave TMBG song, (that may be mine too, >today) maybe you are a swing fan and found them that way. Big Bad Voodoo >Daddy is a great band, though! >Kathleen Yes they are! I bought their CD a while back. And it's not just your area. I live in Kansas. In fact last night it was one of the CD's I was listening to last night. Keen. LDB, Take that senator Brownback -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 12:21:54 +0000 Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG Jan & Dean >>> "vovat@geocities.com" 8/April/1998 06:28pm >>> Adam Tyner wrote: I think "Trigger Happy" is a style parody of the "surfer" music that the Beach Boys made famous. I've heard that it actually sounded more like Jan & Dean, who based their own style on that of the Beach Boys. I can't recall ever hearing any Jan & Dean, so I cannot attest to this fact. -- The following is an extract from THE SOUND OF THE CITY by CHARLIE GILLETT (second edition 1984) (not an easy read but an excellent reference book). "Jan (Berry) and Dean (Torrence) were still part-time performers working their way through college when Lou Adler (their Manager) managed to secure them a contract in 1962 with Liberty. For the first year they continued to make rough-and-ready variations on East Coast black vocal group records, having fun with the interplay between a falsetto lead and a deep-voiced counterpart without finding any focus for a unique sound or identity. But in 1963 Jan collaborated with Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys to write a song which eulogized life on the California beaches:'Surf City'. They had 5 more top 20 hits. Their career was abruptly ended in 1966 when Jan Berry was involved in a serious car accident." Hope this gives an idea who Jan & Dean were/are. Whether they based their style on the Beach Boys or vica versa I don't know. Based on the CD of theirs I have, I think it's fair to say that as there were only two of them they couldn't never match the harmonies of the Beach Boys. As an aside Charlie Gillett is a superb broadcaster on the local BBC radio station here in London. One of his many claims to fame (though he comes across as a very modest person and not the slightest bit interested in fame) was that many many years ago he was the first person ever to play Dire Straits on the radio. It was a demo the band had produced. Racord Company mayhem ensured! By the wat which radio station first played TMBG? Hope this helps Richard Hilton ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980408163757.0068a2d8@pop.indy.net> Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 16:37:57 -0400 From: rachel Subject: TMBG: bumper stickers so i was driving to school the other day and wondering- what do people *really* think of my tmbg bumper sticker. like if theres some guy driving behind me thinking, "that was a good movie." so far the only thing thats happened was when some weird guy in the parking lot walked up to me and mumbled something like, "so you're a tmbg fan?" to which i excitedly responed "yeah!" and he says, while nodding his head, "oh, cool." i would've liked to have carried on further conversation with him but i got this strange feeling that he didn't talk to people much. so anyway, i would be curious to know of any odd things that have happend to other listies as a result of their stickers- because i know you all must have them. ;) lovies, rachel ICQ# 4357912 ------------------------------ From: SMILEY7559 Message-ID: Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 08:31:06 EDT Subject: TMBG: Bid Bad VooDoo Daddy They were on some talk show the other night...Letterman or someone like that. They were awesome! Julie :) ------------------------------ From: Kaylum Message-ID: <7407d7ca.352cc1a9@aol.com> Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 08:40:07 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: bumper stickers I don't have a bumper sticker on my car, but I do have a skull sticker in one of the windows. Once, a cop stopped me for speeding and I told him I was a teacher and I was late for my class (which was true). He noticed the skull sticker and said, "A teacher, huh? Do you show _that_ to your students?" I wanted to say, "Yeah, every day I gather the kiddies around the car for a skull worshipping ceremony." Sheesh. Kay ------------------------------ From: "Ed Wild" Subject: TMBG: UK Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 14:09:38 +0100 Message-Id: Why dont TMBG ever reply to my requests for information to be sent to my UK address? When are they going to tour the US? Can I get merchandise sent to the UK? Don't they realise how many UK fans they have? Love e; =========================================================== E-mail marzipan@cheerful.com The InternEddy http://www.christs.cam.ac.uk/~ejw22 The DUBBINternet http://www.christs.cam.ac.uk/~ejw22/dubbin ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199804091333.IAA25413@aristotle.net> From: "Chris Lesher" Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 08:31:30 +0000 Subject: TMBG: Ringo > >you can't forget everyone;s favorite drummer to make fun of.....Ringo Starr The drummer for the Wilburies was neither Ringo nor Jeff Lynne...it was Jim Keltner. Ringo only played for Tom Petty on the "I Won't Back Down" video, which also features George Harrison and Jeff Lynne, hence the confusion. And make fun all you want, Ringo's done some amazing stuff. Listen to "Rain" or "A Day in the Life" sometime. He's not a flashy drummer, but like Charlie Watts, he's solid and can lay a backbeat like few others. Any attitudes about him aren't any different from people who sneer at TMBG because they think they're a "joke band," imo. ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9804091322.AA06527@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Channel One Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 09:22:21 -0400 (EDT) > I still get Channel One flashbacks every time I see her one > there... Maybe I'm just old, having graduated high school the year Apollo 18 came out but what the heck is Channel One? I'm guessing this is a recent phenomenon? -Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <352ccef07053002@garnet.tc.umn.edu> Subject: Re: non-TMBG: weird al Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 08:36:47 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Nathan Mulac DeHoff: >> At 09:13 AM 4/8/98 -0700, J Chen wrote: >> >"Dog Eat Dog"=Talking Heads, "Dare To Be Stupid"=Devo, "Velvet Elvis"=The >> >Police, "Trigger Happy"=Beach Boys, "Mr. Popeil"=B-52's, "When I Was Your >> >Age"=Don Henley... Al typically does "style parodies" against specific songs; for example, "WIWYA" is patterened mostly after "Dirty Laundry"; "The Night Santa Went Crazy", a style parody of Soul Asylum, is done to "Black Gold"; etc. (Lest I get drawn into the semantic debate over the word "parody", the reader should ignore any negative connotations of the word "against" as used above.) >I think "Trigger Happy" is a style parody of the "surfer" music that >the Beach Boys made famous. I've heard that it actually sounded >more like Jan & Dean, who based their own style on that of the Beach >Boys. I can't recall ever hearing any Jan & Dean, so I cannot >attest to this fact. I second the notion that it is of Jan & Dean. I doubt that you've never heard Jan & Dean, though you may have mistaken them for the Beach Boys :) J&D classics include "Surf City" (two girls for every boy), "Dead Man's Curve", and "The Little Old Lady From Pasadena". %% Chris Bongaarts %% Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu %% http://umn.edu/~cab %% U of Minnesota %% CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) %% Stop Plate Tectonics! (yes, dear list, i still exist! (hey, that rhymes!)) ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9804091330.AA06538@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: UK Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 09:30:36 -0400 (EDT) Hello, > Why dont TMBG ever reply to my requests for information to be sent to my UK > address? Well, that's not a problem singular to the UK, the fan club ignores everyone world-wide! ;) Their track record for getting items out isn't the best, you have to be, shall we say, patient with them, very patient. > When are they going to tour the US? They're touring the US right now. > Can I get merchandise sent to the UK? Yes you can, but remember *patience* > Don't they realise how many UK fans they have? Yes, but probably not as many as American fans. Actually, I doubt they'll be going anywhere overseas for a while since they're currently not with any record label as far as we know. Of course, if they get a label they'll wanna really show the band off and do that world tour (hope so anyway). -Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: Hj bttrben Message-ID: Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 10:40:36 EDT Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: I LOVE KURT All of you guys that hate Kurt Loader and wonder why he was never fired obviously knows jack about music. Kurt Loader was the first senior editor of Rolling Stone Magazine way back in the (i think late) 1960's. Then, in the early 1980's he came up with an idea about having music on television. After about a year of showing his idea to producers and executive it finally came through as MTV. But he was smart in that he knew he couldnt do it by himself so he handed off the project to someone else. Since he knows EVERYTHING about music (its hard to believe but he actually DOES know more than matt pinfield) the producer let him be on the show as a news person on it. That is why he is still on MTV. Because without him there wouldnt even be an MTV. Adam "I know way too much about music" Handelman ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19980409160345.00796d60@mail-in.keme.net> Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 16:03:45 +0100 From: C Ellesley Subject: Re: TMBG: UK At 14:09 09/04/98 +0100, you wrote: >Why dont TMBG ever reply to my requests for information to be sent to my UK >address? >When are they going to tour the US? >Can I get merchandise sent to the UK? >Don't they realise how many UK fans they have? > >Love >e; > With ya there mate, Before my net days I tried constantly to get the fan club info sent to my address here in the UK. Ever time I sent my IRC's etc they were just ignored. It wasn't until I got hooked up with my ISP that I have been able to get any form of info. I would like to hear what you find out about getting merch sent to the UK. I am dying to have some of that They goodness. I don't think they do know how many of the populous of the UK love their music. I only found out how much they are loved recently by pure fluke. -- COLIN ELLESLEY -- AKA: Uncle Squid, Stormy Pinkness, Triangle man, Thick Brit Editor/Partner: USM-RIP Distributor: Elite clothing and all 'round nice fella Home Page: Http://www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/ TMBG fan page: Http://members.xoom.com/uncle_squid/xoom/ ===================================== ===================================== "The North and the South are divided no more, so you and I can be equilly poor, and all the things I love you for, won't pay for food and gas, and flattery will get you nowhere fast" - carter usm "Nowhere Fast" ===================================== ===================================== ------------------------------ From: CWLKNSN@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 11:03:41 -0400 (EDT) Subject: TMBG: Traveling Wilburys Message-id: <01IVNVVI3L4ATESZY4@wvnvms.wvnet.edu> Organization: West Virginia Network the band was Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, Jeff Lynne, Roy Orbison, and George Harrison. then Orbison died, and the remaining members invited Del Shannon, who, unfortunately, got sick and could play. They release a final album and havent been heard from again. sam ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199804091604.LAA06329@dfw-ix16.ix.netcom.com> From: "Mike Bobbick" Subject: Re: TMBG: Channel One Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 12:03:04 -0400 Channel one is like a little news show that's sent to schools across the country. It seems pretty new, because I've never heard of it until this year when I began HS. We don't really care for it though, and we just figure if it wasn't on, we'd have another 15 minutes to talk to friends. It is good for those who don't feel like taking the time to read the newspaper or turn on the tv in the morning.... Mikeman ---------- > From: Matthew James > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: TMBG: Channel One > Date: Thursday, April 09, 1998 9:22 AM > > > I still get Channel One flashbacks every time I see her one > > there... > Maybe I'm just old, having graduated high school the year Apollo 18 came > out but what the heck is Channel One? I'm guessing this is a recent > phenomenon? > -Matt > > -- > Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu > Loyola College in Baltimore, MD > Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980409122033.006a4c48@130.127.28.14> Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 12:20:33 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Channel One They had it when I was in middle school, so it's at least 8 or 9 years old... -Adam At 12:03 PM 7/24/97 -0400, Mike Bobbick wrote: > > Channel one is like a little news show that's sent to schools across the >country. It seems pretty new, because I've never heard of it until this >year when I began HS. We don't really care for it though, and we just >figure if it wasn't on, we'd have another 15 minutes to talk to friends. It >is good for those who don't feel like taking the time to read the newspaper >or turn on the tv in the morning.... /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980409095043.0069f328@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 09:50:43 -0700 From: J Chen Subject: Re: TMBG: weird al parodies? >> >Parody: >> >1 : a literary or musical work in which the style of an author or work >> >is closely imitated for comic effect or in ridicule >> >2 : a feeble or ridiculous imitation >> >I suppose there is some comic effect in "Everything You Know is Wrong" >> >but it's not done to ridicule TMBG's song nor is it really a feeble or >> >ridiculous imitation. >> >-Matt >> >> It says *or* in there, that means it doesn't have to have malicious intent, >> ergo it still fits in the great form of Parody. >> >I've had a few people mail me about this so I'd like to comment. While >there is an 'or' in there, I think the main intent of the 'or' is to >mean 'in other words'. If you look at the definition it is littered >with words such as ridicule, feeble, and ridiculous, surely the intent >is towards a poor or made-fun-of representation of that artist's work. "Or" could indeed mean "in other words," but I think that would not be the case in a dictionary. There it would most likely be used in the logical sense; i.e., an offering of an alternative. In any case, it doesn't really matter. The term "parody" has been misused for quite some time if it really was meant to be a derogatory term in the first place. It has less negative connotations than it used to. Better words to use, perhaps, are "satire" and "tribute." I'm sure Weird Al wasn't being intentionally mean by calling what he does "parodies." And, in the case of "Trigger Happy," I always thought the tune was very similar to the Beach Boys' "Catch A Wave." Can't blame a guy for likening it to a Beach Boys parody! Yours, --LVJeff ==========================_______________________________________... . . . | from LVJeff | Kerim Bey: "But I am already in your debt." | friend to Lan's tigers | James Bond: "How can a friend be in debt?" | alecson@ucla.edu | ========================== - From Russia with Love ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 11:21:14 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: bumper stickers Message-ID: On Thu, 9 Apr 1998, Kaylum wrote: > "Yeah, every day I gather the kiddies around the car for a > skull worshipping ceremony." you too? (i mean, doesn't everybody?) :) --jim kuemmerle, who'd have a tmbg bumper sticker if he had a car... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu SKULL MOUNTAIN: we'll meet at the end of the tour... http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/skullmountain.html ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980409172610.12923.rocketmail@send1a.yahoomail.com> Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 10:26:10 -0700 (PDT) From: Amanda Nichols Subject: TMBG: I LOVE KURT..actually... > All of you guys that hate Kurt Loader and wonder why he was never fired > obviously knows jack about music. Kurt Loader was the first senior editor of > Rolling Stone Magazine way back in the (i think late) 1960's. Kurt was the first after Jann, I believe, when he went to more administrative positions at RS. But still, a fountain of knowledge is found in the mind of the Loader as a trained (gasp!!!) journalist. > Then, in the > early 1980's he came up with an idea about having music on television. After > about a year of showing his idea to producers and executive it finally came > through as MTV. With the help of two Emerson College (must plug my school) grads, who had worked for the college tv station and felt there was a market for music video. > That is why he is > still on MTV. Because without him there wouldnt even be an MTV. That, and MTV execs need to communicate a sense of solidarity. Keeping someone a fixture on this constantly changing station is a good way to keep people watching. In an evil way, it's a great marketing tool. Amanda, who almost wrote the world "trool" _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: Monotreme3 Message-ID: <8c31260d.352d0d30@aol.com> Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 14:02:23 EDT Subject: Non-TMBG: Kurt, Kurt, and BBVDaddy Kurt Loader or however his last name is spelled: Frankly, the guy kicks ass, in my opinion. Kurt Cobain and the request for his moment of silence: I, for one, am shouting my head off. I'm not having a moment of silence for any man who kills himself leaving a wife and child behind. I like the music, but I'm tired of people idolizing the guy. Big Bad Voodoo Daddy: They play all over the place, not just there in that place in California. (I forget the name and I'm too lazy to go look at the post about it.) They played here in Athens a couple weeks ago, in fact. I didn't go in, but I heard some of it from outside. Also, I think one of the main reasons they got big was because of the songs they had on the Swingers soundtrack, which I own and love. It really is an awesome, awesome soundtrack. The movie was pretty good, too. Okay. That's just my 6 cents. -Carey ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980409203803.6456.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Jason F." Subject: TMBG: White tornado my foot Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 13:37:59 PDT What exactly is a white tornado? (from the Istanbul remix) --Jason-- "Hot Cha, where are you? Everybody's eyes are closed." -They Might Be Giants ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 14:42:02 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: seeds for an ERIWA interp? Message-ID: when i was trying to come up with something for the 'weasel overcome' verse in everything right is wrong again, i noticed something subliminal in an unnoticeable way: d'ya think it's possible that 'weasel overcome' is a pun on 'we shall overcome'? could this song be about the assaults on affirmative action?? --jim kuemmerle, who's now had that song running through his head for a long, looooooong, virtually-uninterrupted stretch of time... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu SKULL MOUNTAIN: we'll meet at the end of the tour... http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/skullmountain.html ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 9 Apr 98 16:28 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Big Bad Voodoo Daddy? >Do you mean the swing band Big Bad Voodoo Daddy? I can't imagine that >there would be more than ONE band with this name BUT....I thought they >were just *our* local swing band! Actually, I'm really mad because tomorrow they're playing here in Michigan, Pontiac I think, and my friend was supposed to get tickets and she didn't. *sigh* I don't know them too well myself, but she danced to them for six months in her ballroom dancing class. Kirs -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "You think you're so funny, but looks aren't everything." - Lincoln "Wish You Were Dead" Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 15:05:48 -0600 (MDT) From: jim Subject: TMBG: Re: Second Attempt at Psuedo-tMBg Lyrics Message-ID: GOOD JOB JIM! I guess that is why I'm best friends with you. I loved your additional lyrics! Weasel OVERCOME! -jim ps I forgot to tell you that you can cash that check. Thanks for you patience in the matter. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 15:10:52 -0600 (MDT) From: jim Subject: Re: TMBG: White tornado my foot Message-ID: On Thu, 9 Apr 1998, Jason F. wrote: > What exactly is a white tornado? (from the Istanbul remix) 1) Something that sounds really cool on a remix song. 2) A water spout (Tornado over a river, see movie "Twister") 3) The Tasmanian Devil in a snowstorm. -jim ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 14:16:05 -0400 Subject: TMBG: More OWU inquiries... Message-ID: <19980409.141816.3902.9.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) I sent out a message about this earlier and nobody who knew anything about it replied, so I'm sending it again. Does anybody know ANYTHING at all about the tmbg concert in Delaware OH at OWU? I need information on it, a number to call for ticket purchases, anything! If you can help me out, I'm desperate and at my wits end! I thank you. Your psychotically deranged yet friendly pal, Evan ############################################# "We were once so close to heaven Peter came out and gave us medals Declaring us the nicest of the damned" -John Flansburgh of They Might Be Giants P.S. Does anybody know why the list archives at tmbg.org is only updated to April 1st? How often is it usually updated? _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Monotreme3 Message-ID: <6fca87ea.352d3c3c@aol.com> Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 17:23:04 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: White tornado my foot [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (message/rfc822)] In a message dated 4/9/98 4:44:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time, J.Kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu writes: > when i was trying to come up with something for the 'weasel overcome' > verse in everything right is wrong again, i noticed something subliminal > in an unnoticeable way: d'ya think it's possible that 'weasel overcome' is > a pun on 'we shall overcome'? > > could this song be about the assaults on affirmative action?? Actually, I doubt that. Isn't that song written about a movie? Unless the movie has something to do with it, I doubt it's an assault on affirmative action. -Carey From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Apr 9 17:59:27 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.8.7/8.8.7) id RAA27987 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 9 Apr 1998 17:59:27 -0400 (EDT) Received: from imo14.mx.aol.com (imo14.mx.aol.com [198.81.17.36]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.8.7/8.8.7) with ESMTP id RAA27960 for ; Thu, 9 Apr 1998 17:58:03 -0400 (EDT) Received: from Shaft137@aol.com by imo14.mx.aol.com (IMOv13.ems) id TLBNa02269 for ; Thu, 9 Apr 1998 17:56:24 -0500 (EDT) From: Shaft137 Message-ID: <9cda03c8.352d440a@aol.com> Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 17:56:24 EDT To: tmbg-list@tmbg.com Mime-Version: 1.0 Subject: TMBG: Philly show, Istanbul and White Tornadoes Content-type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit X-Mailer: AOL 3.0 for Windows 95 sub 58 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@ufp.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Shaft137 hi. i just found out that the *may 1st show has been changed*. the date is now april 21st. lincoln is still playing thank goodness. i don't know why they've been bumped up. i think that a bigger name band (or more likely their label) had the date changed. anyone who's still interested in obtaining an entire wave file of the original version of Istanbul by the Four Lads, i'll still taking requests. just e-mail me about it. as for a white tornado, that sound bite, or at least most of it, is from an old commercial for a floor cleaner, or some kind of kitchen cleaser. the cleasing power of the cleaner was caused by "white tornadoes." adam schaaf, who's kinda glad that they moved the show. now i can afford to go see dream theater and lisa loeb. From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Apr 9 18:03:28 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.8.7/8.8.7) id SAA28119 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 9 Apr 1998 18:03:28 -0400 (EDT) Received: from m14.boston.juno.com (m14.boston.juno.com [205.231.101.193]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.8.7/8.8.7) with ESMTP id SAA28110 for ; Thu, 9 Apr 1998 18:03:25 -0400 (EDT) From: gray42@juno.com Received: (from gray42@juno.com) by m14.boston.juno.com (queuemail) id RBV24328; Thu, 09 Apr 1998 17:53:13 EDT To: Monotreme3@aol.com Cc: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 17:41:35 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: White tornado my foot Message-ID: <19980409.174307.6334.1.gray42@juno.com> References: <6fca87ea.352d3c3c@aol.com> X-Mailer: Juno 1.49 X-Juno-Line-Breaks: 4-6,8-11 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@ufp.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: gray42@juno.com IMO I think a white tornado is quite possibly a fake Hollywood Tornado, because he says "white tornado my foot, that's a real tornado!" I also conclude this from the way the woman speaks of it, as if it was created to entertain her, not a tornado that would harm her, if you catch my drift. Mysterio Gal " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 gray42@juno.com _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Apr 9 18:18:55 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.8.7/8.8.7) id SAA28577 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 9 Apr 1998 18:18:55 -0400 (EDT) Received: from mail.utexas.edu (mail.utexas.edu [128.83.126.1]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.8.7/8.8.7) with SMTP id SAA28568 for ; Thu, 9 Apr 1998 18:18:51 -0400 (EDT) Received: (qmail 9511 invoked by uid 0); 9 Apr 1998 22:18:47 -0000 Received: from dial-64-11.ots.utexas.edu (HELO fucker) (128.83.253.107) by mail.utexas.edu with SMTP; 9 Apr 1998 22:18:47 -0000 Message-Id: X-Sender: mitcharf@mail.utexas.edu X-Mailer: QUALCOMM Windows Eudora Pro Version 4.0 Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 17:08:28 -0500 To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Non-TMBG: Steve Buscemi In-Reply-To: <6fca87ea.352d3c3c@aol.com> Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Sender: owner-tmbg-list@ufp.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Mitchell Harding >> What exactly is a white tornado? (from the Istanbul remix) > >I won't act like I know exactly what they're talking about here, but I did >just realize (as I was doing what I'm about to mention while listening to Fat >Boy Slim's "Going Out of My Head") that Steve Buscemi, in the only funny SNL >skit I've seen in a while, did a dance called the white tornado. That's if my >memory is correct... it might have been something else... but I think it was >white tornado. And I'd just like to say that Steve Buscemi is my favorite actor. This has much importance to They Might Be Giants, as you will all find out in time. I assure you. This post is a veritable well-spring of TMBG content. Oh yeah, get advice at this page: Harf, Mitch "I had a linguistics professor who said that it's man's ability to use language that makes him the dominant species on the planet. That may be. But I think there's one other thing that separates us from animals. We aren't afraid of vacuum cleaners." Support the Harf Project: All your questions answered, all your problems solved: From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Apr 9 18:46:38 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.8.7/8.8.7) id SAA29250 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 9 Apr 1998 18:46:38 -0400 (EDT) Received: from m14.boston.juno.com (m14.boston.juno.com [205.231.101.193]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.8.7/8.8.7) with ESMTP id SAA29239 for ; Thu, 9 Apr 1998 18:46:35 -0400 (EDT) From: gray42@juno.com Received: (from gray42@juno.com) by m14.boston.juno.com (queuemail) id O`A24328; Thu, 09 Apr 1998 14:54:01 EDT To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 14:34:49 -0400 Subject: non TMBG: Sir Millard Mulch Message-ID: <19980409.144344.3182.2.gray42@juno.com> X-Mailer: Juno 1.49 X-Juno-Line-Breaks: 0-7,12-18 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@ufp.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: gray42@juno.com Ladies and Gentlemen... Giant heads of all ages... I present to you a web page that will fulfill your listening needs... Sir Millard Mulch!!!- http://www.geocites.com/Eureka/Enterprises/2891/ The sounds are in wav format I think. So if you like the weirdness of when TMBG was two guys with a drum machine, if you like crazy stuff in general, visit my friends web page, your sure to like it. He is a musician, and fellow fan, and on this web page is a sample of his own wonderful music, far different from any of the usual categories. Mysterio Gal "I'm proud to be an American because its fun. cool. hot and thats all." --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 gray42@juno.com _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Apr 9 19:39:39 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.8.7/8.8.7) id TAA00578 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 9 Apr 1998 19:39:39 -0400 (EDT) Received: from mail-out.keme.net (root@ns3.keme.net [193.164.179.43]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.8.7/8.8.7) with ESMTP id TAA00565 for ; Thu, 9 Apr 1998 19:39:28 -0400 (EDT) Received: from default (Dial22.pm3.keme.net [193.164.179.172]) by mail-out.keme.net (8.8.6/8.8.4) with SMTP id AAA23196 for ; Fri, 10 Apr 1998 00:51:03 +0100 Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19980410003648.007e2100@mail-in.keme.net> X-Sender: thelimes@mail-in.keme.net X-Mailer: QUALCOMM Windows Eudora Light Version 3.0.2 (32) Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 00:36:48 +0100 To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org From: C Ellesley Subject: TMBG: Fan's tribute site updated (and then some) Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Sender: owner-tmbg-list@ufp.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: C Ellesley Hey-ho Giant lovin' peeps, Just a brief notice to say that my site has now been restructured slightly and had a few bits and bobs added here and there. In fact I have gone banner crazy with pictures of James K Polk and that Famous Belgium painter, Mr James Ensor (anyone noticed how the two figures from history have the same christain names? weird). A big thankyou to everybody who has given thier supports/material/vollies of abuse/shoehorns (the kind with teeth). Plus anyon ewho thinks they deserve a mention. Please take a look around and tell me what you think. -- COLIN ELLESLEY -- AKA: Uncle Squid, Stormy Pinkness, Triangle man, Thick Brit Editor/Partner: USM-RIP Distributor: Elite clothing and all 'round nice fella Home Page: Http://www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/ TMBG fan page: Http://members.xoom.com/uncle_squid/xoom/ ===================================== ===================================== "The North and the South are divided no more, so you and I can be equilly poor, and all the things I love you for, won't pay for food and gas, and flattery will get you nowhere fast" - carter usm "Nowhere Fast" ===================================== ===================================== From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Apr 9 20:12:11 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.8.7/8.8.7) id UAA01267 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 9 Apr 1998 20:12:11 -0400 (EDT) Received: from geocities.com (mail4.geocities.com [209.1.224.24]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.8.7/8.8.7) with ESMTP id UAA01256 for ; Thu, 9 Apr 1998 20:12:01 -0400 (EDT) Received: from geocities.com (wht2b6e05.resnet.iup.edu [144.80.104.94]) by geocities.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id RAA17300; Thu, 9 Apr 1998 17:11:50 -0700 (PDT) Message-ID: <352D8C78.4159066@geocities.com> Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 20:05:30 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.04 [en] (Win16; I) MIME-Version: 1.0 To: J Kuemmerle CC: The TMBG Mailing List Subject: Re: TMBG: seeds for an ERIWA interp? References: Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list@ufp.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Nathan Mulac DeHoff J Kuemmerle wrote: > when i was trying to come up with something for the 'weasel overcome' > verse in everything right is wrong again, i noticed something subliminal > in an unnoticeable way: d'ya think it's possible that 'weasel overcome' is > a pun on 'we shall overcome'? Indeed I do. I noticed that, too. > could this song be about the assaults on affirmative action?? I don't know. ERIWA is a very ambiguous song, and you could probably make a convincing argument that it is about practically any subject. I did an interpretation a while back, which does mention the "weasal overcome"/"we shall overcome" connection, but it does not really factor in "The Long, Long Trailer," which I have never seen. If you want to see my interpretation, it's at: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/wrong.html -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org or vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Apr 9 20:37:04 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.8.7/8.8.7) id UAA01830 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 9 Apr 1998 20:37:04 -0400 (EDT) Received: from imo24.mx.aol.com (imo24.mx.aol.com [198.81.17.68]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.8.7/8.8.7) with ESMTP id UAA01821 for ; Thu, 9 Apr 1998 20:37:01 -0400 (EDT) Received: from MatFoley99@aol.com by imo24.mx.aol.com (IMOv13.ems) id 4WSOa01930 for ; Thu, 9 Apr 1998 20:35:23 -0500 (EDT) From: MatFoley99 Message-ID: <46ae33c7.352d694d@aol.com> Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 20:35:23 EDT To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Mime-Version: 1.0 Subject: Re: TMBG: bumper stickers Content-type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit X-Mailer: AOL 3.0 16-bit for Windows sub 38 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@ufp.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: MatFoley99 Wow, good topic Rachel! Mostly just b/c recently had an odd occurance resulting from my TMBG bumper sticker as well. So, I was sitting in the drive-thru at McDonald's, and I couldn't help but notice the kid in the car behind me acting super hyper, jumping around and all, but anyways, I'm looking at the menu, and then the kid gets out of the car, and runs up to my window, and says, "You like They Might Be Giants?!" in this almost-scarey excited way. I respond with something along the lines of, "Oh yeah, nothing better..." and he's like, "Wow, I can't believe it! I love them, and you're the first person I've seen who likes them too! Where'd you get the bumper sticker?" So, I told him about the website, and he went on his way...but before he got in his car he jumped on the hood and started yelling something with his hands in the air, which is beyond me. He went back to jumping around in the car, and I went back to listening to "Birdhouse in your soul," before ordering my 6-piece McNugget meal. So, there you have it, my story. It was very odd, and it all happened really fast. I just hope I don't bump into that person again... Chris Brannan aka Gern Blanston From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Apr 9 22:39:51 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.8.7/8.8.7) id WAA04392 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 9 Apr 1998 22:39:51 -0400 (EDT) Received: from m23.boston.juno.com (m23.boston.juno.com [205.231.100.188]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.8.7/8.8.7) with ESMTP id WAA04379 for ; Thu, 9 Apr 1998 22:39:46 -0400 (EDT) From: mr.train@juno.com Received: (from mr.train@juno.com) by m23.boston.juno.com (queuemail) id WtK13977; Thu, 09 Apr 1998 22:22:20 EDT To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 22:06:35 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Sleeping Message-ID: <19980409.222100.17926.1.Mr.Train@juno.com> X-Mailer: Juno 1.49 X-Juno-Line-Breaks: 2-9 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@ufp.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: mr.train@juno.com Hey, Vinyl Vendors (www.vinylvendors.com) has limited quantities of the Sleeping in the Flowers single (w/ the rare radio edit and the LP track) for $8... Thought you might wanna know.. I love mine! Tim, he's the Replacements Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: WGAWTSwings Last CD purchase: JH w/ bonus disc _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Apr 9 23:00:57 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.8.7/8.8.7) id XAA04908 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 9 Apr 1998 23:00:57 -0400 (EDT) Received: from smtp02.kent.edu (smtp02.kent.edu [131.123.14.217]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.8.7/8.8.7) with ESMTP id XAA04899 for ; Thu, 9 Apr 1998 23:00:54 -0400 (EDT) Received: from helter-skelter.housing.res.kent.edu (jgmccann.housing.res.kent.edu [131.123.49.25]) by smtp02.kent.edu (8.8.7/8.8.5) with SMTP id XAA09171 for ; Thu, 9 Apr 1998 23:00:53 -0400 Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980409225823.006aeef4@pop.kent.edu> X-Sender: dhutchin@pop.kent.edu X-Mailer: QUALCOMM Windows Eudora Light Version 3.0.3 (32) Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 22:58:23 -0400 To: tmbg-digest@ufp.org From: Hutch Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-Linnell In-Reply-To: <199803140704.CAA26558@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Sender: owner-tmbg-list@ufp.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Hutch Well, I was at a Rave recently, and on acid. I was having massive delusions, and I thought I was in a spaceship (i was actually in a big warehouse), and that we were taking off cause the world was gonna be destroyed. Well, I was going nuts because I was determined not to leave without Linnell! Then I started telling people that I was John Linnell. I got many compliments on my TMBG STD Tour T-shirt, and many more for my pants (which has a 44 inch circumference on each leg!) Just thought it was a little funny... -Me. P.S.- I met this beautiful girl named Jeanelle. It rhymed with Linnell, and we bonded. From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Fri Apr 10 00:01:23 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.8.7/8.8.7) id AAA06357 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Fri, 10 Apr 1998 00:01:23 -0400 (EDT) Received: from x18.boston.juno.com (x18.boston.juno.com [205.231.101.29]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.8.7/8.8.7) with ESMTP id AAA06347 for ; Fri, 10 Apr 1998 00:01:19 -0400 (EDT) Received: (from tmbgirl@juno.com) by x18.boston.juno.com (queuemail) id WDS01673; Thu, 09 Apr 1998 22:17:44 EDT To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 20:17:52 -0600 Subject: TMBG: Re: SNL, philly, jim, stickers, Message-ID: <19980409.201757.3494.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> References: <9cda03c8.352d440a@aol.com> X-Mailer: Juno 1.49 X-Juno-Line-Breaks: 0-8,14-17,19-28,30-32,34-36,41-45 From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) Sender: owner-tmbg-list@ufp.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) heY HEy! >funny SNL >skit I've seen in a while, did a dance called the white tornado. >That's if my >memory is correct... it might have been something else... but I think >it was >white tornado. yeah, i've noticed that SNL's are getting funny again *personal opionion... please don't chew my head off... i realize they were waaay funnier long ago but it seems as tho things are looking up*... it seems like tim meadows is really helping out too... anyways, i recorded the show i'll go back and watch it sometime and see if he did say white tornado or not :) >And I'd just like to say that Steve Buscemi is my favorite actor. hehee... i've dug him since he was in Billy Madison... now that was funny. >i just found out that the *may 1st show has been changed*. the >date is now april 21st. lincoln is still playing thank goodness. so uhm, what happened to the show that night in columbus? > (anyone noticed how the two figures from history have the >same christain names? weird). yeah, i noticed they had the same name back when someone sent me set-list and it said "JAMES" on it... >So, there you have it, my story. It was very odd, and it all >happened really fast. I just hope I don't bump into that person again... just as i'm thinking "wow, that guy was cool..." uhm, anyways, as far as bumper stickers go... i was recently driving somewhere about 8 hours from my house when I noticed that all of the road signs along the highway had stickers all over them... i couldn't help but think how cool a they skull sticker would look inside the 0 on any speed limit sign :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ::::The Official Gum Bubble:::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Fri Apr 10 00:13:43 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.8.7/8.8.7) id AAA06683 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Fri, 10 Apr 1998 00:13:43 -0400 (EDT) Received: from smtp02.kent.edu (smtp02.kent.edu [131.123.14.217]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.8.7/8.8.7) with ESMTP id AAA06672 for ; Fri, 10 Apr 1998 00:13:25 -0400 (EDT) Received: from helter-skelter.housing.res.kent.edu (jgmccann.housing.res.kent.edu [131.123.49.25]) by smtp02.kent.edu (8.8.7/8.8.5) with SMTP id AAA10351 for ; Fri, 10 Apr 1998 00:12:48 -0400 Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980410001017.006abd30@pop.kent.edu> X-Sender: dhutchin@pop.kent.edu X-Mailer: QUALCOMM Windows Eudora Light Version 3.0.3 (32) Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 00:10:17 -0400 To: tmbg-digest@ufp.org From: Hutch Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #4-440 In-Reply-To: <199803180704.CAA18959@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Sender: owner-tmbg-list@ufp.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Hutch At 02:04 AM 3/18/98 -0500, you wrote: > >A man, a plan, a caret, a ban, a myriad, a sum, a lac, a liar, a hoop, a pint, >a catalpa, a gas, an oil, a bird, a yell, a vat, a caw, a pax, a wag, a tax, a >nay, a ram, a cap, a yam, a gay, a tsar, a wall, a car, a luger, a ward, a >bin, a woman, a vassal, a wolf, a tuna, a nit, a pall, a fret, a watt, a bay, >a daub, a tan, a cab, a datum, a gall, a hat, a fag, a zap, a say, a jaw, a >lay, a wet, a gallop, a tug, a trot, a trap, a tram, a torr, a caper, a top, a >tonk, a toll, a ball, a fair, a sax, a minim, a tenor, a bass, a passer, a >capital, a rut, an amen, a ted, a cabal, a tang, a sun, an ass, a maw, a sag, >a jam, a dam, a sub, a salt, an axon, a sail, an ad, a wadi, a radian, a room, >a rood, a rip, a tad, a pariah, a revel, a reel, a reed, a pool, a plug, a >pin, a peek, a parabola, a dog, a pat, a cud, a nu, a fan, a pal, a rum, a >nod, an eta, a lag, an eel, a batik, a mug, a mot, a nap, a maxim, a mood, a >leek, a grub, a gob, a gel, a drab, a citadel, a total, a cedar, a tap, a gag, >a rat, a manor, a bar, a gal, a cola, a pap, a yaw, a tab, a raj, a gab, a >nag, a pagan, a bag, a jar, a bat, a way, a papa, a local, a gar, a baron, a >mat, a rag, a gap, a tar, a decal, a tot, a led, a tic, a bard, a leg, a bog, >a burg, a keel, a doom, a mix, a map, an atom, a gum, a kit, a baleen, a gala, >a ten, a don, a mural, a pan, a faun, a ducat, a pagoda, a lob, a rap, a keep, >a nip, a gulp, a loop, a deer, a leer, a lever, a hair, a pad, a tapir, a >door, a moor, an aid, a raid, a wad, an alias, an ox, an atlas, a bus, a >madam, a jag, a saw, a mass, an anus, a gnat, a lab, a cadet, an em, a >natural, a tip, a caress, a pass, a baronet, a minimax, a sari, a fall, a >ballot, a knot, a pot, a rep, a carrot, a mart, a part, a tort, a gut, a poll, >a gateway, a law, a jay, a sap, a zag, a fat, a hall, a gamut, a dab, a can, a >tabu, a day, a batt, a waterfall, a patina, a nut, a flow, a lass, a van, a >mow, a nib, a draw, a regular, a call, a war, a stay, a gam, a yap, a cam, a >ray, an ax, a tag, a wax, a paw, a cat, a valley, a drib, a lion, a saga, a >plat, a catnip, a pooh, a rail, a calamus, a dairyman, a bater, a >canal--Panama. > Ok, this palindrome stuff, although cool and nifty, is getting a bit old. The next thing you know, people will start bringing up topics from ancient postings... -me From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Fri Apr 10 01:01:35 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.8.7/8.8.7) id BAA07662 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Fri, 10 Apr 1998 01:01:35 -0400 (EDT) Received: from m14.boston.juno.com (m14.boston.juno.com [205.231.101.193]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.8.7/8.8.7) with ESMTP id BAA07653 for ; Fri, 10 Apr 1998 01:01:31 -0400 (EDT) From: gray42@juno.com Received: (from gray42@juno.com) by m14.boston.juno.com (queuemail) id AkK24328; Fri, 10 Apr 1998 00:59:30 EDT To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 00:48:55 -0400 Subject: TMBG: road signs Message-ID: <19980410.004914.9822.0.gray42@juno.com> X-Mailer: Juno 1.49 X-Juno-Line-Breaks: 0-1,5-8,10-13 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@ufp.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: gray42@juno.com Weeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!! I just rented that Weird Al movie- UHF, and much to my glee, at the beginning of the movie, an out of place road sign read SEVERE TIRE DAMAGE. I just thought it was cute because of the new live album and the Weird Al conversations we've been having. Always on the look for something SuBlImInAl ;) Mysterio Gal " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 gray42@juno.com _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Fri Apr 10 01:47:08 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.8.7/8.8.7) id BAA08574 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Fri, 10 Apr 1998 01:47:08 -0400 (EDT) Received: from uoft02.utoledo.edu (SYSTEM@uoft02.utoledo.edu [131.183.1.4]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.8.7/8.8.7) with ESMTP id BAA08565 for ; Fri, 10 Apr 1998 01:47:05 -0400 (EDT) Received: from twinter.AH.UToledo.Edu ("port 2775"@WAYDE.AH.UToledo.Edu) by uoft02.utoledo.edu (PMDF V5.1-10 #19298) with SMTP id <01IVOQQGSSPK002BNV@uoft02.utoledo.edu> for tmbg-list@tmbg.org; Fri, 10 Apr 1998 01:46:49 EDT Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 01:43:58 -0400 From: Wayde Subject: NONTMBG: Big Bad Voodoo Daddy... X-Sender: twinter@uoft02.utoledo.edu To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Message-id: <3.0.2.32.19980410014358.007e6e40@uoft02.utoledo.edu> MIME-version: 1.0 X-Mailer: QUALCOMM Windows Eudora Light Version 3.0.2 (32) Content-type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Sender: owner-tmbg-list@ufp.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Wayde BBVD is playing at the Grog Shop in Cleveland, OH on April 19th...or was it the 9th...well, one of those nights...but I can't make it...very mad about that... how many swing fans we got anyway? *raises hand* -Wayde From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Fri Apr 10 01:49:38 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.8.7/8.8.7) id BAA08735 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Fri, 10 Apr 1998 01:49:38 -0400 (EDT) Received: from radiate.indy.net (radiate.indy.net [199.3.65.253]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.8.7/8.8.7) with ESMTP id BAA08726 for ; Fri, 10 Apr 1998 01:49:34 -0400 (EDT) Received: from indy1.indy.net (root@indy1.indy.net [199.3.65.5]) by radiate.indy.net (8.8.7/8.8.7) with ESMTP id AAA09115 for ; Fri, 10 Apr 1998 00:15:32 -0500 (EST) Received: from eck.indy.net (ip72-107.ts.indy.net [199.3.72.107]) by indy1.indy.net (8.8.7/8.8.7) with SMTP id AAA27653 for ; Fri, 10 Apr 1998 00:15:23 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980410001053.00691fbc@pop.indy.net> X-Sender: eck@pop.indy.net X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Light Version 3.0.1 (32) Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 00:10:53 -0400 To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org From: rachel Subject: Re: TMBG: Philly show, In-Reply-To: <9cda03c8.352d440a@aol.com> Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Sender: owner-tmbg-list@ufp.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: rachel At 05:56 PM 4/9/98 EDT, you wrote: >hi. > >i just found out that the *may 1st show has been changed*. the >date is now april 21st. lincoln is still playing thank goodness. i >don't know why they've been bumped up. i think that a bigger >name band (or more likely their label) had the date changed. > wait, i thought that they were playing in columbus OH on april 21st? is tmbg.com wrong again? on a different note, has anyone else ever seen paintings by james ensor? they are pretty bad. lovies, rachel (aka "art critic extraordinare") ICQ# 4357912 From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Fri Apr 10 01:51:33 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.8.7/8.8.7) id BAA08867 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Fri, 10 Apr 1998 01:51:33 -0400 (EDT) Received: from r2.boston.juno.com (r2.boston.juno.com [207.205.100.72]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.8.7/8.8.7) with ESMTP id BAA08858 for ; Fri, 10 Apr 1998 01:51:29 -0400 (EDT) Received: from m2.boston.juno.com (m2.boston.juno.com [205.231.101.199]) by r2.boston.juno.com (8.8.6.Beta0/8.8.6.Beta0/2.0.kim) with ESMTP id VAAAA20766 for ; Thu, 9 Apr 1998 21:01:03 -0400 (EDT) Received: (from tmbgmail-bin@juno.com) by m2.boston.juno.com (queuemail) id UyD20091; Thu, 09 Apr 1998 20:18:09 EDT To: Shaft137@aol.com Cc: tmbg-list@tmbg.com Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 20:17:34 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Philly show, Istanbul and White Tornadoes Message-ID: <19980409.201841.19510.0.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> References: <9cda03c8.352d440a@aol.com> X-Mailer: Juno 1.49 X-Juno-Line-Breaks: 0-5,8-13,15 From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Sender: owner-tmbg-list@ufp.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) On Thu, 9 Apr 1998 17:56:24 EDT Shaft137 writes: >hi. > >i just found out that the *may 1st show has been changed*. the >date is now april 21st. Hmm, I'm rather puzzled about this, considering They are playing at Newport Hall in Columbus on April 21st, not in Philly. I would know because I have tickets for the show! Your psychotically deranged yet friendly pal, Evan ############################################# "We were once so close to heaven Peter came out and gave us medals Declaring us the nicest of the damned" -John Flansburgh of They Might Be Giants _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #5-8 ****************************