Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #5-9 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 5, Number 9 Saturday, 11 April 1998 Today's Topics: Wayyyyy nonTMBG: Kurt Cobain Re: Wayyyyy nonTMBG: Kurt Cobain TMBG: Another view on the TMBG categorization issue Re: TMBG: Philly show, Re: TMBG: Another view on the TMBG categorization issue TMBG: Philly show, Istanbul and White Tornadoes TMBG: Dr Worm Lyrics Re: TMBG: Fan's tribute site updated (and then some) Re: TMBG: Another view on the TMBG categorization issue Re: TMBG: Another view on the TMBG categorization issue Re: TMBG: White tornado my foot Re: TMBG: Another view on the TMBG categorization issue Re: TMBG:John Henry Re: TMBG: Dr Worm Lyrics Re: TMBG: Another view on the TMBG categorization issue Non-TMBG: A quick poll Re: TMBG: Another view on the TMBG categorization issue Re: TMBG:John Henry TMBG: Record Companies, Live Albums, James Ensort & Kurt Cobain... NON TMBG: No Money, No Honey.... Re: TMBG: Another view on the TMBG categorization issue Re: TMBG: Another view on the TMBG categorization issue TMBG: Dr. Worm Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm Re: TMBG: Record Companies, Live Albums, James Ensort & Kurt Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm Re: NON TMBG: No Money, No Honey.... Re: TMBG:John Henry Re: TMBG: Another view on the TMBG categorization issue Re: TMBG:John Henry Re: TMBG:John Henry Re: TMBG: Record Companies, Live Albums, James Ensort & Kurt Cobain... TMBG: same old post Re: TMBG: Dr Worm Lyrics Re: TMBG: same old post Re: TMBG: same old post Re: TMBG: same old post TMBG: weasel overcome non-TMBG: art Re: TMBG: same old post Re: TMBG: same old post TMBG: The Creams Re: TMBG: same old post Re: TMBG: same old post Re: TMBG: same old post TMBG: Spaaaaaaaacccccceeeee Gggggghhhoooooossssssttttt! Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 23:26:39 -0700 Subject: Wayyyyy nonTMBG: Kurt Cobain Message-ID: <19980409.232811.4750.1.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Josh Nielsen) Shout all you want, that's your choice. I don't idolize him, but he did inspire me to start playing guitar. I'm glad I started playing, because without that emotional outlet, I would have prolly shot myself by now too. So, do it only if you want to, but you have to admit it was a great loss. Josh Nielsen jnielsen69@juno.com http://www.angelfire.com/or/jnielsen/ http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Studio/4091 ICQ #1337243 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199804100639.CAA10697@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 01:39:44 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: Wayyyyy nonTMBG: Kurt Cobain At 11:26 PM 4/9/98 -0700, you wrote: >Shout all you want, that's your choice. I don't idolize him, but he did >inspire me to start playing guitar. I'm glad I started playing, because >without that emotional outlet, I would have prolly shot myself by now >too. So, do it only if you want to, but you have to admit it was a great >loss. No doubt it was a great loss, but the original poster's point still remains. No matter how great of a musician Kurt Cobain was, it is still inexcusable to abandon responsibilities like a wife and child. Like every human being, he had strengths and he had flaws. His strengths may have been greater than average, but so, apparently, were his flaws. Mitch "I had a linguistics professor who said that it's man's ability to use language that makes him the dominant species on the planet. That may be. But I think there's one other thing that separates us from animals. We aren't afraid of vacuum cleaners." Support the Harf Project: All your questions answered, all your problems solved: ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980410094951.16600.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Amy Greenlese" Subject: TMBG: Another view on the TMBG categorization issue Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 02:49:51 PDT I went to home.ml.skapunx.org/~drunkpunx and found Live in NY up for trade, so I set something up. Anyhow, I asked the guy if he considers TMBG punk or what, and this was his reply... >---------- Forwarded message ---------- >From: Possessed-Punk >To: Amy Greenlese >About TMBG and punk... I'm really quite stoned right now so this may not be >quite right, but I think of them as being punk in the non-trendy definition >of punk. Punk started out with a wide variety of bands in Europe. The punk >scene wasn't just the Sex Pistols or the Damned, but any band doing anything >different with a rockin edge. They Might Be Giants are definitely >different. I don't really try to classify TMBG because they are punk to the >state that no one has prior to or thereafter duplicated their sound. Kinda >like Soul Coughing... I don't really know. Maybe I'll try again tomorow >but I can't handle any more thingking .. I'll let you know what he says when he's not stoned :) ********************** Amy Greenlese :) amy@ipresent.com agreenlese@hotmail.com ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19980410112016.007df340@mail-in.keme.net> Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 11:20:16 +0100 From: C Ellesley Subject: Re: TMBG: Philly show, At 00:10 10/04/98 -0400, you wrote: >At 05:56 PM 4/9/98 EDT, you wrote: >>hi. >> >>i just found out that the *may 1st show has been changed*. the >>date is now april 21st. lincoln is still playing thank goodness. i >>don't know why they've been bumped up. i think that a bigger >>name band (or more likely their label) had the date changed. >> >wait, i thought that they were playing in columbus OH on april 21st? is >tmbg.com wrong again? >on a different note, has anyone else ever seen paintings by james ensor? >they are pretty bad. >lovies, >rachel (aka "art critic extraordinare") > >ICQ# 4357912 > > > I myself have seen many Ensors. Not obviously originals but prints etc. I think they are very good. His curiosity of death and other people is really shown with some power in most of his paintings. The work itself may not be monet but it is the feeling and power in the paintings and not just the visual presentation. (please excuse my rantings on Ensor if by "Pretty Bad" you meant good and I just didn't get your phonacular-- happens alot when you are a Thick Brit you know! --) -- COLIN ELLESLEY -- AKA: Uncle Squid, Stormy Pinkness, Triangle man, Thick Brit Editor/Partner: USM-RIP Distributor: Elite clothing and all 'round nice fella Home Page: Http://www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/ TMBG fan page: Http://members.xoom.com/uncle_squid/xoom/ ===================================== ===================================== "The North and the South are divided no more, so you and I can be equilly poor, and all the things I love you for, won't pay for food and gas, and flattery will get you nowhere fast" - carter usm "Nowhere Fast" ===================================== ===================================== ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19980410121133.007e2330@mail-in.keme.net> Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 12:11:33 +0100 From: C Ellesley Subject: Re: TMBG: Another view on the TMBG categorization issue At 02:49 10/04/98 PDT, you wrote: >I went to home.ml.skapunx.org/~drunkpunx and found Live in NY up for >trade, so I set something up. Anyhow, I asked the guy if he considers >TMBG punk or what, and this was his reply... > >>---------- Forwarded message ---------- > >>From: Possessed-Punk >>To: Amy Greenlese > > >>About TMBG and punk... I'm really quite stoned right now so this may >not be >>quite right, but I think of them as being punk in the non-trendy >definition >>of punk. Punk started out with a wide variety of bands in Europe. The >punk >>scene wasn't just the Sex Pistols or the Damned, but any band doing >anything >>different with a rockin edge. They Might Be Giants are definitely >>different. I don't really try to classify TMBG because they are punk >to the >>state that no one has prior to or thereafter duplicated their sound. >Kinda >>like Soul Coughing... I don't really know. Maybe I'll try again >tomorow >>but I can't handle any more thingking .. > >I'll let you know what he says when he's not stoned :) Here in the UK there is some confusion to what They might Be Giants comes under. In my local Indie store, They are under the heading "Indie A-Z", In a mail order catalogue I get a lot of They stuff from they are headed as "70's, 80's, 90's Pop". I think that depending on what album you are thinking of, describes what type of music it is. eg: The Pink Album is clearly Country and Western, Factory Showrrom has a more Indie tone and Flood is bit more pop. I suggest to every music store world wide that They be under the heading.... "Other". I shall be writing to mr Branson and suggesting this to him. Any other thoughts? -- COLIN ELLESLEY -- AKA: Uncle Squid, Stormy Pinkness, Triangle man, Thick Brit Editor/Partner: USM-RIP Distributor: Elite clothing and all 'round nice fella Home Page: Http://www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/ TMBG fan page: Http://members.xoom.com/uncle_squid/xoom/ ===================================== ===================================== "The North and the South are divided no more, so you and I can be equilly poor, and all the things I love you for, won't pay for food and gas, and flattery will get you nowhere fast" - carter usm "Nowhere Fast" ===================================== ===================================== ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9804101215.AA07256@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Philly show, Istanbul and White Tornadoes Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 08:15:09 -0400 (EDT) > i just found out that the *may 1st show has been changed*. the > date is now april 21st. lincoln is still playing thank goodness. i This is insane! First the Baltimore Bohager's show is moved from Saturday, April 18 to Tuesday, April 28, now the Philly show is moved from Friday, May 1 to Tuesday, April 21. I'm still gonna try to go to the Bohager's show, although it's a pain that it's a weeknight but I definitely can't go to a weeknight Philly show! The craziest thing about this is that they are so close to the dates. It's not like this was way in advance and the dates changed, but only a few weeks before the shows. What is up with this? It's rather annoying. -Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19980410134830.007df180@mail-in.keme.net> Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 13:48:30 +0100 From: C Ellesley Subject: TMBG: Dr Worm Lyrics Hello helpfull peeps, can someone supply me with the lyrics for Dr Worm? I don't even know where the song appears and thus impossible to find. BTW I need it for a parody, Thanks... -- COLIN ELLESLEY -- AKA: Uncle Squid, Stormy Pinkness, Triangle man, Thick Brit Editor/Partner: USM-RIP Distributor: Elite clothing and all 'round nice fella Home Page: Http://www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/ TMBG fan page: Http://members.xoom.com/uncle_squid/xoom/ ===================================== ===================================== "The North and the South are divided no more, so you and I can be equilly poor, and all the things I love you for, won't pay for food and gas, and flattery will get you nowhere fast" - carter usm "Nowhere Fast" ===================================== ===================================== ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19980410135317.007e7470@mail-in.keme.net> Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 13:53:17 +0100 From: C Ellesley Subject: Re: TMBG: Fan's tribute site updated (and then some) At 08:18 10/04/98 -0400, you wrote: >Hey, >I tried to go to your TMBG page: >Http://members.xoom.com/uncle_squid/xoom/ >but it came up 404 File Not Found. Is this the correct address? >-Matt >-- >Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu >Loyola College in Baltimore, MD >Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com > > Hey... this is my fault for ignoring the case sensitive factor to the address. It should be: Http://members.xoom.com/uncle_squid/Xoom/ Please have a look around as I have really made an effort to make it something special. Thanks for pointing out my mistake :) -- COLIN ELLESLEY -- AKA: Uncle Squid, Stormy Pinkness, Triangle man, Thick Brit Editor/Partner: USM-RIP Distributor: Elite clothing and all 'round nice fella Home Page: Http://www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/ TMBG fan page: Http://members.xoom.com/uncle_squid/Xoom/ ===================================== ===================================== "The North and the South are divided no more, so you and I can be equilly poor, and all the things I love you for, won't pay for food and gas, and flattery will get you nowhere fast" - carter usm "Nowhere Fast" ===================================== ===================================== ------------------------------ Message-ID: <352E5DBD.9C6798E5@geocities.com> Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 10:58:23 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: Another view on the TMBG categorization issue C Ellesley wrote: > Here in the UK there is some confusion to what They might Be Giants comes > under. In my local Indie store, They are under the heading "Indie A-Z", In > a mail order catalogue I get a lot of They stuff from they are headed as > "70's, 80's, 90's Pop". I think that depending on what album you are > thinking of, describes what type of music it is. eg: The Pink Album is > clearly Country and Western, Factory Showrrom has a more Indie tone and > Flood is bit more pop. I suggest to every music store world wide that They > be under the heading.... "Other". I shall be writing to mr Branson and > suggesting this to him. Any other thoughts? Doesn't "indie" mean "independent"? If so, the Bar/None releases would fit into this category, but the Electra ones would not. One problem with using labels such as this is that the names rarely make sense. I mean, referring to a style of music as "independent" sounds silly to me. Isn't "independent" just referring to the method of publication, rather than the style? Then there's "alternative" music, which, at least among young people, often seems to be more popular than so-called "popular" music. Around here, I usually see TMBG classified as either "alternative" or "rock." The latter category seems to have become somewhat of a "miscellaneous" category in record stores today, rather than a specific reference to the "bluesy" music that was called "rock" in earlier times. Then there's "classical" music, which refers to several centuries' worth of European music, and could hardly be considered to be all of one style. "Jazz" contains blues, swing, and more modern, mellow, "new age" type jazz. I could go on, but I won't. As for the category in which I would place TMBG, I would say that it depends not only on which album, but on which song. For instance, take the pink album, with the Beatle-esque "Everything Right Is Wrong Again," the "bluesy" "32 Footsteps," the hard rock style of "Hotel Detective" and "Youth Culture Killed My Dog," the eerie "Boat Of Car," and many others. Then there's "Lincoln," with the rockin' "Ana Ng," the country-esque "Cowtown," the rhythm-based "Lie Still, Little Bottle," the electronic "Where Your Eyes Don't Go," the martial sound of "Pencil Rain," the somewhat Latin tones to "The World's Address," and, once again, many others. Who could put labels on such amazing, bewildering assortments of songs? -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org or vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19980410163559.007e85d0@mail-in.keme.net> Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 16:35:59 +0100 From: C Ellesley Subject: Re: TMBG: Another view on the TMBG categorization issue > Doesn't "indie" mean "independent"? Not anymore it doesn't. These days it is a style. It used to be that bands on labels such as Bar/None, Rough Trade, Cooking Vinyl etc were "Indie bands". Now even Oasis are classed as Indie when I would hardly call creation Records an Indie label (though others may dispute this). Then Indie meant anything that wasn't quite mainstream, bands like Blur and Oasis, but now they are mainstream so the term "Indie" means a band who dress very stupidly and act like a bunch of baffoons. TMBG are not Indie! >Around here, I usually see TMBG classified as either "alternative" or "rock." I can see the Rock aspect but in this country Alternative bands are mainly Grunge/Metal type bands. TMBG have, in the past used the title Rock band in describinmg themselves. > As for the category in which I would place TMBG, I would say that it depends not only on which album, but on which song. You hit the nail on the head there matey. > Who could put labels on such amazing, bewildering assortments of songs? A good question. Sadly, the answer is just about everyone. People form their own views on music (as with everything else). To one person TMBG could be easy listening because all their other favorite bands blow the roof off. To another person, TMBG may be rock as the other listened to bands might be lift music or something like that. A label I like to use for TMBG is "Modern world music". Which basically means it's music of varying influences, which is quite... modern. -- COLIN ELLESLEY -- AKA: Uncle Squid, Stormy Pinkness, Triangle man, Thick Brit Editor/Partner: USM-RIP Distributor: Elite clothing and all 'round nice fella Home Page: Http://www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/ TMBG fan page: Http://members.xoom.com/uncle_squid/Xoom/ ===================================== ===================================== "The North and the South are divided no more, so you and I can be equilly poor, and all the things I love you for, won't pay for food and gas, and flattery will get you nowhere fast" - carter usm "Nowhere Fast" ===================================== ===================================== ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 10:55:18 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: White tornado my foot Message-ID: On Thu, 9 Apr 1998, jim wrote: > > What exactly is a white tornado? (from the Istanbul remix) > > 2) A water spout (Tornado over a river, see movie "Twister") the itsy bitsy spidah (he is our hero!) went up the water spouaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACKTHPHTHTH!! > I won't act like I know exactly what they're talking about here, but I > did just realize (as I was doing what I'm about to mention while > listening to Fat Boy Slim's "Going Out of My Head") that Steve Buscemi, > in the only funny SNL skit I've seen in a while, did a dance called the > white tornado. That's if my memory is correct... it might have been > something else... but I think it was white tornado. white tornado my foot! that's a REAL tornado! whoa, you ain't live from new york city, baby! :) --jim kuemmerle, who is feeling very surreal today. ignore him and go about your business. that is all. thank you. j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu SKULL MOUNTAIN: we'll meet at the end of the tour... http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/skullmountain.html ------------------------------ Message-ID: <352E7BB4.84C0534B@geocities.com> Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 13:06:14 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: Another view on the TMBG categorization issue C Ellesley wrote: > >Around here, I usually see TMBG classified as either "alternative" or "rock." > > I can see the Rock aspect but in this country Alternative bands are mainly > Grunge/Metal type bands. TMBG have, in the past used the title Rock band in > describinmg themselves. Well, actually, that seems to be what "alternative" bands are in the States, too. The music store near the college that I attend seems to put any non-"classic" rock in the "alternative" section. For instance, XTC is in the "alternative" section there, even though they're usually considered to be a pop band. Interestingly enough, Mono Puff is in the "rock" section, presumably because they have a more "classical rock" kind of sound than TMBG. > > Who could put labels on such amazing, bewildering assortments of songs? > > A good question. Sadly, the answer is just about everyone. People form > their own views on music (as with everything else). To one person TMBG > could be easy listening because all their other favorite bands blow the > roof off. To another person, TMBG may be rock as the other listened to > bands might be lift music or something like that. Indeed. Also, while you probably wouldn't hear TMBG on an easy listening station, Their music (with some exceptions) is easy to listen to compared to a lot of music, even some that is typically considered "easy listening" music. -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org or vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 13:04:35 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG:John Henry Message-ID: <19980410.130456.6358.0.gray42@juno.com> I always figured John Henry was one of TMBG's darker albums- James Ensor who paints Gargoyles, that dramatic song A Self Called Nowhere that i found really rather sad, Songs about being unhappy, the whole skull deal with the little kids saying We Hate They Might Be Giants, all this is pretty dark compared to all the other albums they've ever made IMHO. Mysterio Gal " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 gray42@juno.com _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980410171838.5688.rocketmail@send1c.yahoomail.com> Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 10:18:38 -0700 (PDT) From: Amanda Nichols Subject: Re: TMBG: Dr Worm Lyrics > can someone supply me with the lyrics for Dr Worm? I don't even know where > the song appears and thus impossible to find. You can't find the song unless you have it bootlegged (but no one here does that sort of thing, right?!? ). Anyhoo, it'll be on Severe Tire Damage this summer. Here are the lyrics (which I noticed have changed slightly from the first go): They call me Dr. Worm Good morning, how are you, I'm Dr. Worm I'm interested in things I'm not a real doctor, but I am a real worm I am an actual worm I live like a worm I like to play the drums I think I'm getting good, but I can handle criticism I'll show you what I know And you can tell me if you think I'm getting better on the drums I leave the front a lot 'cause I can't hear the bell When I get in to play tonight I can tell that you are Watching me wave a stick When I give the signal, my friend Rababoul will Play the solo Someday, somebody else besides me Will call me by my stage name, They will Call me Dr. Worm Good morning, how are you, I'm Dr. Worm I'm interested in things I'm not a real doctor, but I am a real worm I am an actual worm I'm not a real doctor, but they call me doctor worm Hope this helps! AManda == "Did he say 'disco lemonade?'"- The Debate Continues over "Sex and Candy" America's First Commercial College Radio Station WECB 99.9 FM/640 AM Business Line: (617) 824-8850 _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 11:25:53 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Another view on the TMBG categorization issue Message-ID: On Fri, 10 Apr 1998, C Ellesley wrote: > I think that depending on what album you are thinking of, describes what > type of music it is. eg: The Pink Album is clearly Country and Western, > Factory Showrrom has a more Indie tone and Flood is bit more pop. whoa... C&W?? maybe "alienation's for the rich" and "number three" qualify, but what else on the pink album gives you that impression? on a semi-related note: what sorts of bands are you thinking of when you cite 'country and western'? is it old-school stuff like hank williams sr., patsy cline, randy travis, etc., or new-school stuff like leann rimes, shania twain, diamond rio, etc.? (by the way, in my own humble opinion, new-school "country" isn't any more "country" than are the spice girls or celine dion. beck seems to be one of the few artists around nowadays who actually understands what country is...) --jim kuemmerle, who's most fond of the REALLY old-school stuff like the Light Crust Doughboys, Frank Hutchison, and the Mississippi Sheiks... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu SKULL MOUNTAIN: we'll meet at the end of the tour... http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/skullmountain.html ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980410172635.2654.rocketmail@send1a.yahoomail.com> Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 10:26:35 -0700 (PDT) From: Amanda Nichols Subject: Non-TMBG: A quick poll Hello all-- As many of you know, I am the General Manager of my college radio station, WECB. Well, for the first time in our 52 years, we're going to be on the air over the summer. During this time, we'll be starting to construct a little webcast for ourselves. My question to the list is: Would ya listen? We're an alternative rock station (please don't read that to mean we play Matchbox 20), specializing in the stuff no one's heard yet. In our current format top 10 are: Air- "Sexy Boy" Feeder- "Cement" Ani DiFranco- "Gravel" Tuscadero-"Paper Dolls" Mary Lou Lord-"His Lamest Flame" Candy Butchers-"Til You Die" Ben Folds Five-"Tom and Mary" Edwyn Collins-"Adidas World" .. that's what I can remember off the top of my head, anyway. Most of the DJs are self-professed "Disciples of They" and try to work in as much TMBG/TMBG related work as possible. We also have a ska show (Jump, Step, Go!), Urban top 40 (Urban Jamz), Live Music (which has featured Rustic Overtones, Skeleton Key and Brian Dewan) and young, silly DJs who strip down in the studio and encourage you to do the same. We're looking for some support for our efforts (so that the Powers That Be can't get mad).. anyone interested? AManda == "Did he say 'disco lemonade?'"- The Debate Continues over "Sex and Candy" America's First Commercial College Radio Station WECB 99.9 FM/640 AM Business Line: (617) 824-8850 _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 13:32:51 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Another view on the TMBG categorization issue Message-ID: <19980410.133553.6358.1.gray42@juno.com> I've always figured they were and always refered to them as Underground Alternative, underground being slightly unknown and different (which is probably the true meanng of alternative anyway, I got it from a girl in my school who likes them when I asked her what category they would best fall into, and I found her answer very satisfying and have used it ever since. They are also a Happy Mutant group, according to the Happy Mutant Handbook, one of the signs that you are a happy mutant is that you listen to They Might Be Giants. Imagine my excitement when I read this, they also made a review of their music later in the book along with Tom Waites which I found rather interesting. Although I know longer own the book, it met with the fatal accident of an angry parent (not my angry parent [it's a long story]) well there's my three cents Mysterio Gal " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 gray42@juno.com _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: BrthrJuan Message-ID: <113d3fb4.352e5c65@aol.com> Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 13:52:35 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG:John Henry In a message dated 4/10/98 1:17:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time, gray42@juno.com writes: << I always figured John Henry was one of TMBG's darker albums- James Ensor who paints Gargoyles, that dramatic song A Self Called Nowhere that i found really rather sad, Songs about being unhappy, the whole skull deal with the little kids saying We Hate They Might Be Giants, all this is pretty dark compared to all the other albums they've ever made IMHO. >> actually....i think that john henry is also tmbg's best musical album. granted all of their albums are great, but musicly, that is their best. i am also under the impression that apollo 18 is their best lyrically. what do you all think? ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot Message-ID: <88349afe.352e5e5f@aol.com> Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 14:01:02 EDT Subject: TMBG: Record Companies, Live Albums, James Ensort & Kurt Cobain... >>...they're currently not with any record label as far as we know. They announced they have a new record company & the new album (as a prelude to They Got Lost) at the Worcester show on 4/3. However, bands usually don't do any foreign touring until after an album is released....as I noticed with a few of my favorite bands (not saying this is true in ALL cases), so I'm sure if all you foreign (I say foreign in refrence to the fact that the John's are American, not due to the fact of my our ethnocentricity) fans just wait a few months, they should come for you to experience them live! I was also wondering about the live album. It is just me, or does there seem to be a lot of live/unreleased material albums lately (or maybe I'm just finally noticing them). I've heard a lot of live sorta stuff on the radio & some recent ones I can think off the top of my head include: Jane's Addiction, Nirvana, PUSA (limited live stuff, but a lot of unreleased), Marilyn Manson (live/remix ep), & now TMBG. There are a few others, but they don't come immediately to mind. I think it's a smart move on TMBG's part, now they can get some funds to do some cool stuff & such, even if it means they have to release a live version of Particle Man as a second single off of STD (which I think we be a good move, if they are "foreseeing trouble")...any thoughts on this? As for James Ensor, I like his paintings, I think they're pretty cool! As for Kurt Cobain, I respect the guy's music & well, as for the suicide (I'm definitely saying it was a suicide, despite the fact there are some odd occurences around it), I don't think he was in his right mind when doing it, so although I hold the drug use against him, I don't hold him for leaving his kid & wife behind...I don't idolize the guy or anything, but I would give anyone a moment of silence on the day of their death. If someone said to me, "hey, man, could i get a moment of silence for (insert ANY name here)." I'd do it merely out of politeness. (I even gave one to someone famous who died a little bit ago, who I completely despised, i don't feel like getting yelled at by a ton of people, so the name of this person I am keeping to myself). jason "gives his moment of silence " glastetter ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot Message-ID: <1371446f.352e5fbc@aol.com> Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 14:06:50 EDT Subject: NON TMBG: No Money, No Honey.... Has anyone else heard the odd similarities between Beck's "No Money, No Honey" & Lincoln's "No Money, No Honey." I just noticed this the other day, when first listening to Lincoln thinking "hey, I know this song" & then listening to Beck today, I figured it out...maybe it's just the names....Lincoln's is more "pop"-esque... jason glastetter ------------------------------ From: "Ed Wild" Subject: Re: TMBG: Another view on the TMBG categorization issue Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 19:48:39 +0100 Message-Id: This is ludicrous. They clearly transcend classification. Perhaps I should now contradict that by classifying them as transcendental. Love e; =========================================================== E-mail marzipan@cheerful.com The InternEddy http://www.christs.cam.ac.uk/~ejw22 The DUBBINternet http://www.christs.cam.ac.uk/~ejw22/dubbin ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980410193226.15893.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Jason F." Subject: Re: TMBG: Another view on the TMBG categorization issue Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 12:32:26 PDT I believe TMBG themselves have classified their music as "non-denominational". It seems to fit. --Jason-- "Hot Cha, where are you? Everybody's eyes are closed." -They Might Be Giants ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980410194426.18963.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Jason F." Subject: TMBG: Dr. Worm Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 12:44:26 PDT You can listen to Dr. Worm without having a bootleg. Just download the video clip from the official site. It has the song in its entirety. --Jason-- "Hot Cha, where are you? Everybody's eyes are closed." -They Might Be Giants ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Kaylum Message-ID: Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 15:49:09 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm << You can listen to Dr. Worm without having a bootleg. Just download the video clip from the official site. It has the song in its entirety. >> They've added to the song since then--the version on the official site is too short to be a single--I hear they're discussing a new computer-animated video with Disney--that should rock! Kay ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980410155944.006aa314@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 15:59:44 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Record Companies, Live Albums, James Ensort & Kurt At 02:01 PM 4/10/98 EDT, Happyfroot wrote: > >I was also wondering about the live album. It is just me, or does there seem >to be a lot of live/unreleased material albums lately (or maybe I'm just >finally noticing them). I've heard a lot of live sorta stuff on the radio & >some recent ones I can think off the top of my head include: Jane's Addiction, >Nirvana, PUSA (limited live stuff, but a lot of unreleased), Marilyn Manson >(live/remix ep), & now TMBG. There are a few others, but they don't come It's _definitely_ not just you. Almost every band out there is putting out a live album....one interesting trend is having a collection of live tracks, but not a recording of one particular show...Moxy Fruvous, Barenaked Ladies, and TMBG have done/are doing this...among others... >immediately to mind. I think it's a smart move on TMBG's part, now they can >get some funds to do some cool stuff & such, even if it means they have to >release a live version of Particle Man as a second single off of STD (which I >think we be a good move, if they are "foreseeing trouble")...any thoughts on >this? It wouldn't be a bad idea. :) BTW, does anyone else think it's about time TMBG released an enhanced CD? :) -Adam ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980410160101.0069bf8c@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 16:01:01 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm At 12:44 PM 4/10/98 PDT, Jason F. wrote: >You can listen to Dr. Worm without having a bootleg. Just download the >video clip from the official site. It has the song in its entirety. Well, I wouldn't say in its entirety...at least not the way they're playing it now. It has a few more verses, solos, and oodles of other nifty stuff they've added to it. -Adam ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980410160359.0069ef30@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 16:03:59 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: NON TMBG: No Money, No Honey.... I haven't heard either song. Has Lincoln's "No Money, No Honey" been released? It's not on their CD, or at least not on the version I have. -Adam At 02:06 PM 4/10/98 EDT, Happyfroot wrote: >Has anyone else heard the odd similarities between Beck's "No Money, No Honey" >& Lincoln's "No Money, No Honey." I just noticed this the other day, when >first listening to Lincoln thinking "hey, I know this song" & then listening >to Beck today, I figured it out...maybe it's just the names....Lincoln's is >more "pop"-esque... > >jason glastetter > > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <352EAAFE.1025EF44@geocities.com> Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 16:27:59 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG:John Henry gray42@juno.com wrote: > I always figured John Henry was one of TMBG's darker albums- James Ensor > who paints Gargoyles, that dramatic song A Self Called Nowhere that i > found really rather sad, Songs about being unhappy, the whole skull deal > with the little kids saying We Hate They Might Be Giants, all this is > pretty dark compared to all the other albums they've ever made IMHO. If you're thinking in terms of musical style, John Henry does seem somewhat dark and depressing compared to the other albums. If you're thinking of subject matter, though, I don't know. There have been TMBG songs about death and frustration throughout Their entire body of work. -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org or vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ Message-ID: <352EABA7.154A562C@geocities.com> Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 16:30:49 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: Another view on the TMBG categorization issue J Kuemmerle wrote: > On Fri, 10 Apr 1998, C Ellesley wrote: > > > I think that depending on what album you are thinking of, describes what > > type of music it is. eg: The Pink Album is clearly Country and Western, > > Factory Showrrom has a more Indie tone and Flood is bit more pop. > > whoa... C&W?? > > maybe "alienation's for the rich" and "number three" qualify, but what > else on the pink album gives you that impression? Actually, the demo version of "Hope That I Get Old Before I Die" sounds kind of country-ish. The version on the pink album doesn't really sound that way, though. -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org or vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ Message-ID: <352EAE34.BDD0D178@geocities.com> Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 16:41:41 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG:John Henry BrthrJuan wrote: >actually....i think that john henry is also tmbg's best musical album. > granted all of their albums are great, but musicly, that is their best. i am > also under the impression that apollo 18 is their best lyrically. what do you > all think? I think you're on to something there. "John Henry" is musically excellent, partially because of the instruments used. I don't know about "best," though. I think the Johns did an excellent job arranging music even on Their early albums. As for "Apollo 18" being Their best lyrically, I do think that there was an emphasis on lyrics on that album. There was a lot of wordplay, and the music does not seem to as be prominent as the words (although, interestingly enough, A18 is the only major TMBG album containing a song with no lyrics). There do not seem to be as many solos as there are on other albums, for one thing, and the range of instruments does not seem to be quite as large as on Lincoln, JH, Factory Showroom, or Flood. I don't know, really. Those are just a couple of thoughts. -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org or vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 16:28:20 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG:John Henry Message-ID: <19980410.163718.3182.0.gray42@juno.com> Musically: Lincoln Lyrically: The Pink album Mysterio Gal " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 gray42@juno.com _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <352EAFD0.A2E1455D@geocities.com> Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 16:48:33 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: Record Companies, Live Albums, James Ensort & Kurt Cobain... Happyfroot wrote: > I think it's a smart move on TMBG's part, now they can > get some funds to do some cool stuff & such, even if it means they have to > release a live version of Particle Man as a second single off of STD (which I > think we be a good move, if they are "foreseeing trouble")...any thoughts on > this? Well, I don't know. It might be a good idea, but you can never tell with the queer, strange public. I would purchase a "Particle Man" EP if it had good B-sides, but not if it were just one of those one-song deals. Of course, John and John aren't making Their marketing decisions based on my opinions (and if They are, They'd better stop, because it'll probably end Them up in the poor house). -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org or vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ From: filthyscarecrow@webtv.net Message-Id: <199804102357.QAA11971@mailtod-152.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 18:57:13 -0500 Subject: TMBG: same old post This is my favorite question to ask and I ask it every 4-6 months. Which TMBG song/s have you heard on the radio? I have heard Spiraling Shape cause it was on the Kids in the Hall Soundtrack, and Minimum Wage got played in the backroung while the morning news was spoken on X103. I bought Mighty Morphin Power Rangers at some used C.D. store and, wouldn't you know it, some dumb ass put a scratch in the C.D. *and it start right where SenSurround begins*. It's a conspiracy, everyone. ************************************************* "If mommies can wear pants and Grown-ups can wear diapers, how come we can't wear dresses" -Chuckie Finster "The specialist won't hurt me, he's not like nuns. He's got a lot of pretty pills, I think I'll take some yellow ones" -Dead Milkmen "People should get beat up for statin' their beliefs" -They Might Be Giants 1=2 we hope that you choke ------------------------------ Message-ID: <8p=fPRK00bkC0MRyA0@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 20:18:37 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Dr Worm Lyrics Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 10-Apr-98 Re: TMBG: Dr Worm Lyrics by Amanda Nichols@yahoo.com > I leave the front a lot 'cause I can't hear the bell I'll leave the font unlocked 'cause I can't hear the bell. (he's inviting his friend over to hear him play the drums, but because they're so loud, he won't hear the bell, so he tells the guy to just walk in through the unlocked door) > When I get in to play tonight I can tell that you are > Watching me wave a stick When I get into it I can't tell if you are Watching me twirling the sticks > When I give the signal, my friend Rababoul will > Play the solo I've seen about 20 spellings of that... :) Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Everything sticks until it goes away, * This space inadvertently And the truth is we don't know anything." -TMBG * left blank. ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 20:24:18 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: same old post Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 10-Apr-98 TMBG: same old post by filthyscarecrow@webtv.ne > This is my favorite question to ask and I ask it every 4-6 months. > Which TMBG song/s have you heard on the radio? I have heard Spiraling > Shape cause it was on the Kids in the Hall Soundtrack, and Minimum Wage > got played in the backroung while the morning news was spoken on X103. I've heard Don't Let's Start, Ana Ng, and Istanbul on WHFS (99.1 in the DC area). Don't Let's Start several times, actually... and on WRCT in Pittsburgh, I've heard... oh, let's see... Particle Man (live), Ana Ng, Metal Detector, Nightgown of the Sullen Moon, Destination Moon, Purple Toupee, Twisting, I Palindrome I, The Statue Got Me High, and probably many others... they do a "Massive Music Weekend" every year, where many bands each get 1/2 hour of consecutive play... and TMBG were on it the first two years I was here... but not this year, unfortunately. Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Everything sticks until it goes away, * This space inadvertently And the truth is we don't know anything." -TMBG * left blank. ------------------------------ From: Shaft137 Message-ID: <174304d7.352ebb9b@aol.com> Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 20:38:49 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: same old post hi. the only tmbg song i've ever heard on the radio is Birdhouse. ironically, it was during an 80's flashback hour on Y100 in Philly. i have, however, played a few myself as a guest dj on ryder campus radio. i got out s-e-x-x-y, subliminal, dig my grave, RSWA, istanbul and a few others. adam schaaf, who's randomly counting down the top 40 hits. ------------------------------ From: Kaylum Message-ID: <81334285.352ebbcb@aol.com> Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 20:39:36 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: same old post The first time I heard TMBG on the radio was a bit embarassing. I was riding in the car with my dad, and I started to drift off. Suddenly my dad shakes me and yells, "Hey, that's one of those Giants' songs!" Sure enough, they were playing "Birdhouse" loud and clear. I probably didn't notice it because I was so used to hearing it on the tape, but still. Funny thing is, my dad had only heard it once a few weeks before that when I played it for him, so it must've made an impression :) Like 'em or not, TMBG songs do tend to stick to your brain. Kay ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199804110047.TAA27772@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: TMBG: weasel overcome Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 19:47:23 -0500 (EST) > > when i was trying to come up with something for the 'weasel overcome' > > verse in everything right is wrong again, i noticed something subliminal > > in an unnoticeable way: d'ya think it's possible that 'weasel overcome' is > > a pun on 'we shall overcome'? > > > > Actually, I doubt that. Isn't that song written about a movie? Unless the > movie has something to do with it, I doubt it's an assault on affirmative > action. It's not written *about* the movie ("The Long, Long Trailer"), it merely references a scene from the movie as a point of comparison. I have always taken "weasel overcome" as a bit of wordplay in the form of a lyrical allusion. It is hardly an assault on affirmative action... For a list of this and other TMBG lyrical allusions that nobody cares to read about, visit this URL: http://omni.cc.purdue.edu/~coon/allusion.htm m@t ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980410183347.00692e3c@pop.indy.net> Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 18:33:47 -0400 From: rachel Subject: non-TMBG: art >I myself have seen many Ensors. Not obviously originals but prints etc. I >think they are very good. His curiosity of death and other people is really >shown with some power in most of his paintings. The work itself may not be >monet but it is the feeling and power in the paintings and not just the >visual presentation. > >(please excuse my rantings on Ensor if by "Pretty Bad" you meant good and I >just didn't get your phonacular-- happens alot when you are a Thick Brit >you know! --) > > > -- COLIN ELLESLEY -- > AKA: Uncle Squid, Stormy Pinkness, > Triangle man, Thick Brit > no, you read it right- i meant "pretty bad" as in "bad," like they are horrible. you must understand my criticism though, as 3 years of art history classes does that to you. after being bombarded with "art" for so long you really begin to develop a taste for what you like and don't like. i, for one, really don't like monet either. but thats cool if you like james, and the fact that you are able to back up your opinions is quite respectable. :) lovies, rachel ICQ# 4357912 ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199804110057.TAA28353@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: same old post Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 19:57:51 -0500 (EST) > > This is my favorite question to ask and I ask it every 4-6 months. > Which TMBG song/s have you heard on the radio? Interestingly, the local (Lafayette, IN) alternative station (95.7) plays a fair amount of TMBG (at least in comparison to most other stations). And not just Birdhouse and Particle Man, but some of the lesser-played songs as well. I've heard Piece of Dirt several times! There is apparently a TMBG fan lurking there. Unfortunately, I honestly can't remember the call letters, probably because their commercials are so incredibly stupid that I must turn them off ASAP... m@t ------------------------------ Message-ID: <352EEA24.CDEC8AA5@geocities.com> Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 20:57:25 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: same old post filthyscarecrow@webtv.net wrote: > This is my favorite question to ask and I ask it every 4-6 months. > Which TMBG song/s have you heard on the radio? I have heard Spiraling > Shape cause it was on the Kids in the Hall Soundtrack, and Minimum Wage > got played in the backroung while the morning news was spoken on X103. I've heard "Particle Man," "Istanbul" (I think), "Birdhouse," and "WDTSS?" on WXPN from Philadelphia, during the "Kids' Corner" show. -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org or vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 21:36:38 -0400 (EDT) From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: The Creams Message-ID: I'm here at WSBF right now, reading an issue of CMJ, and I saw a review of a live album by the Creams. Lo and behold, that live album _also_ has a cover of Nothing's Gonna Change My Clothes! That's 2 CDs of theirs with covers of that particular song...@whee! It's called "Are You Real Or Just Some Sort Of Disgusting Fridge Magnet?"...CMJ gave it an excellent review, and it definitely sounds like it's worth checking out. -Adam /----=========================================----\ Looking for He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and MST3K? Then go to http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: Cajun Gram Message-ID: <6fcd604d.352ed2c7@aol.com> Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 22:17:41 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: same old post Actually, I've had several traumatizing experiences with TMBG and our local "Alternative" radio station, 107.7 The End. Back in 8th grade, I called them and tried to request Don't Lets Start, but when I got ahold of the DJ, I think it was Marco, for those of you who know about 107.7, anyway... So I called and asked very politely in a meek sort of 8th grade way if they would please play DLS, and then Marco started laughing like it was the stupidest request he had evre heard and said he'd try, but you could hear him snickering to himself all sly like. Another time I called on an 80's lunch block and the person who answered was actually nice and said that they would try their best. A while later, I heard the DJ come on and say "Here it is, by request, Don't Lets Start by They Might Be Giants. I was so excited. I've also heard them play Ana Ng on The End, and I've heard Birdhouse In Your Soul on another station, I just can't remember which one... Graham ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980411035235.7161.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Jason F." Subject: Re: TMBG: same old post Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 20:52:35 PDT >and on WRCT in Pittsburgh, I've heard... oh, let's see... Particle Man >(live), Ana Ng, Metal Detector, Nightgown of the Sullen Moon, >Destination Moon, Purple Toupee, Twisting, I Palindrome I, The Statue >Got Me High, and probably many others... Could you tell me what station WRCT is? I live in the area but I've never heard of it. I do hear Snail Shell played very often in the background during the afternoon on the X at 105.9....Also, has anyone noticed that a part of Snail Shell is played during an episode of the Real World? I think it's the first episode in London. --Jason-- "Hot Cha, where are you? Everybody's eyes are closed." -They Might Be Giants ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 21:56:06 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: same old post Message-ID: <19980410.215612.4006.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) >ironically, it was during an 80's flashback hour on Y100 in Philly. the only time i ever hear TMBG on the radio around here is on an "all request retro show" (www.ktcl.com) of which the dj, alf, seems to make his own requests (so there's no point in calling it the all request retro show but...)... he digs TMBG tho as far as we all can tell :) the thing that makes me reeally pissed off is that the last time TMBG came here (jan 2nd '97) this DJ, caroline, got to interview them and not Alf... you could have the whole country call caroline up and she'd still be hesitant to play them on her "presto requesto" show where she's supposed to play any request you give her, "If it's groovy." grr... oh well.. her dog ran away and she was bitching about it on the radio so i called up and requested Youth culture... *Mwahaaa* >:) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html KTCL: 1-800-378-2933 CALL EM UP AND REQUEST TMBG! :) _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <352EF7D7.270D@rica.net> Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 00:55:51 -0400 From: Joey Groah Subject: TMBG: Spaaaaaaaacccccceeeee Gggggghhhoooooossssssttttt! The Space Ghost episode that aired tonight had a quick clip of Flans as a future guest, among others. The episode was set up like a promo sent to corporations to intice them to buy ad time, featuring "reliability" and the potential to "reach hundreds of viewers." Is this the episode that has been on before? Joey Groah Everything is funnier with monkeys - Evan Dorkin jgroah@rica.net ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #5-9 ****************************