Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #6-1 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 6, Number 1 Friday, 1 May 1998 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Cookie removal service TMBG: Linnell TMBG: bored... TMBG: Good Night Sullen Moon.... Re: TMBG: Cookie removal service Re: TMBG: Most Beautiful People... TMBG: Re: Cookies and Linnell Re: TMBG: Most Beautiful People... Re: TMBG: Re: Cookies and Linnell TMBG: People Poll, Hank info Re: TMBG: Cookies and Linnell TMBG: Bots bad. Warning, Will Robinson. TMBG: We're insane. TMBG: Atheism... Re: TMBG: We're insane. Re: (non)TMBG: Atheism... Re: TMBG: Bohager's 4/28 - Concert Review TMBG: Another TMBG Dream Re: TMBG: Re: Cookies and Linnell Re: TMBG: Another TMBG Dream Re: TMBG: Re: Cookies and Linnell Re: TMBG: We're insane. Re: TMBG: Re: Cookies and Linnell Re: TMBG: Club Rouges' Show lack of bootlegging Re: TMBG and (non)TMBG: Atheism... Re: TMBG: Address change [Fwd: NON-NON-NON-NON-TMBG Most definitely NON-TMBG: Atheism...] Re: TMBG: Another TMBG Dream Re: TMBG: Another TMBG Dream Re: TMBG: lack of bootlegging Re: TMBG: 50 Most Beautiful People Re: TMBG and (non)TMBG: Atheism... TMBG: URL For Cookies TMBG: COLUMBUS OHIO TMBG: People voting Re: TMBG and (non)TMBG: Atheism... Non TMBG: But I need YOUR help Non TMBG: Thanx TMBG: Marist Show Info TMBG: They Might Be MOD TMBG: Current standings :-) Re: TMBG: Current standings :-) TMBG: Linnell/voting Re: TMBG: Bots bad. Warning, Will Robinson. Re: TMBG: Bots bad. Warning, Will Robinson. Re: TMBG: Current standings :-) TMBG: Most Beautiful People Update Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 22:28:48 -0700 (PDT) From: Shion Subject: Re: TMBG: Cookie removal service Message-ID: While removing cookies may work to get Mr. Linnell on the chart, it may not. Paranoia says that the cookie is a number based on your IP address, which would effectively limit votes to one per address, 'cause they may keep a log of which IPs have voted. But that's just paranoia, so you should probably disregard it. jkwhite ps. right, and netscape users can erase their cookie file and in its place put a directory named 'cookies.txt', which stops the writing of cookies without having to decline them whenever the little box pops up. ------------------------------ From: Monotreme3 Message-ID: <3edfe893.35480cb4@aol.com> Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 01:31:31 EDT Subject: TMBG: Linnell Well, our boy is getting up there. He's at 13 now and I personally just put him over the 1200 mark. Fun, fun, fun. By the way, as for cookies, if you have Netscape they can easily be disabled in the preferences section. If there's another way that they know you've already voted then... well... darn. -Your cousin called Monotreme ------------------------------ From: Monotreme3 Message-ID: Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 01:43:10 EDT Subject: TMBG: bored... Okay. I'm bored. From now (1:40 am) to 2:00 am I'm just gonna sit here hitting submit, enter, back, submit, enter, back, and so on. Bored, bored, bored. Linnell, tenth... uhh.... drool. -Your cousin called Monotreme ------------------------------ From: Monotreme3 Message-ID: <67e84719.35481508@aol.com> Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 02:06:44 EDT Subject: TMBG: Good Night Sullen Moon.... Well, It's 2 and I'm off to bed. In the past twenty minutes, by not much fault of my own, Linnell has gone from 1200 to 1310 or so. Way to go, folks. If we keep this up, our guy will be number 10 pretty soon. That is, as long as all the Hanson fans somehow stop knowing how to vote. And the same for the Hudson Leick, Callisto, Garett Maggart or whatever fans, too. Okay. Well, good night. -Yeah, same guy P.S. now that I look, the ratio for Hanson's increase and Linnells is approximately 10 to 100 for every 20 minutes. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 03:58:53 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Cookie removal service Message-ID: <19980430.040007.14302.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) >While removing cookies may work to get Mr. Linnell on the chart, it >may >not. Paranoia says that the cookie is a number based on your IP >address, >which would effectively limit votes to one per address, 'cause they >may >keep a log of which IPs have voted. But that's just paranoia, so you >should probably disregard it. yeah, but my theory is that that's the only way we could all possibly get him to remain in the top 50... we might as well tak ethe risk that they're tracking our IP number cuz without us "cheating" we're never gonna win :) (who said cheating was a bad thing when it's for a good cause?) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::only one more day of school... and two more weeks of evil IB tests and i'm done! yay!:::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980430101835.0073d27c@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 05:18:35 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: Most Beautiful People... Guys, we might just have a problem. Someone on #TMBG told me yesterday it is the cookie that they use to verify our vote. So all of us rejecting cookie's instead of deleting them every time are not being counted. Soooooo, any of you people with [Li/U]nix experience and know the scripting languages, and maybe a li'l about IP spoofing, (Just In Case) should all organize and program a bot that will vote Mr. Linnell to a god-like #1 that Bruce Campbell (Who should have #2 in my book) shouldn't even be able to touch. LDB, who posts at the damndest hours... -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.16.19980430072408.108ff1c4@muc.muohio.edu> Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 07:24:08 From: Chris Combs Subject: TMBG: Re: Cookies and Linnell I hate to break this to all of you, but your cookie schemes will not help in your voting. The cookie is on YOUR computer, and when you erase it, you tell YOUR computer that you haven't voted. However, each time your vote, your IP address is sent to THEIR computer. If you want to erase files, you have to erase stuff off of People Magazine's computer. Otherwise, the numbers will add up for them. =========================================================== = Chris Combs aka "Often things you caught = = Piglet Goat Boy or bought were not the = = goatboy@tso.cin.ix.net ones you sought." = = http://muc.muohio.edu/~goatboy/ -The Residents = =========================================================== ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001501bd742b$0eca5a00$804a4ccf@lees> From: "Lee" Subject: Re: TMBG: Most Beautiful People... Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 07:28:10 -0400 Added Mine #1462 -----Original Message----- From: Danielle Gaither To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Wednesday, April 29, 1998 11:42 AM Subject: Re: TMBG: Most Beautiful People... >---Jish wrote: >> >> YEP! Everybody go vote for John Linnell at: >> >> http://www.pathfinder.com/people/50most/1998/vote/index.html >Just did. Count me in as a fellow conspirator. ;) > >> It is one vote per browser...also..capitalization counts...so do it right >> :) >Yes, it's L-i-n-n-e-l-l, folks. > >> > as many of you know, there has been a massive campaign to vote for Hank >> > the Angry, Drunken Dwarf as the most Beautiful Person of the year in >> > People Online's poll... >I hadn't heard of it, but OK. > >> > well, another "surprise" has turned up... >> > >> > 16. John Linnell, 127 >> > >> > I think with enough work, we can get him up above 10... :) >At the time I cast my vote, he had moved up to #12 with 189 votes. This >conspiracy thing is pretty cool. If he cracked the top 10, that would just >kick so much ass. > >> > Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ >Danielle, inspector over the mine > >=== >URL: http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/1054/index.html > >"Well, we *could* just say that Americans are stupid, but that would be mean." > --John Linnell > >_________________________________________________________ >DO YOU YAHOO!? >Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com > > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3548842B.EB80698D@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu> Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 09:01:15 -0500 From: King of Wingo Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Cookies and Linnell Chris Combs wrote: > I hate to break this to all of you, but your cookie schemes will not > help in your voting. The cookie is on YOUR computer, and when you erase > it, you tell YOUR computer that you haven't voted. However, each time your > vote, your IP address is sent to THEIR computer. If you want to erase > files, you have to erase stuff off of People Magazine's computer. > Otherwise, the numbers will add up for them. > Okay, maybe so, but there must, MUST, be a way to cheat, otherwise how did Flasher #6 get to the number 2 spot overnight? I don't think that many people voted for him....cheating, a little, ya think? So if it's not the erase the cookie bit, what is it? And BTW, I still don't have any frickin' clue how to delete the cookie....there is NO cookie file in my Netscape program....what gives? - Cornjob- -William Vincent Cornell, the 2nd- "Have a Navy Marine Corps Day" -Old Dominion University's Naval ROTC homepage "The optimist thinks that this is the best of all possible worlds, and the pessimist knows it." -J. Robert Oppenheimer "Your enemy is never a villain in his own eyes. Keep this in mind; it may offer a way to make him your friend. If not, you can kill him without hate - and quickly" -Excerpt from the notebooks of Lazarus Long ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9804301416.AA20582@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: People Poll, Hank info Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 10:16:26 -0400 (EDT) Hi, I recall from People's last poll on the Most Intriguing People of 1997 they counted up all the votes at the end, checked for duplicate votes at the end and then came up with the top 10. So all of these votes might appear on the page until they do the actual counting come May 8 or later. Who knows how many are real votes from different browsers? Anyway, I was driving home from work and listening to the Washington, D.C. station that Howard Stern is on in the morning and they had a promo running for Stern. I only caught alittle bit of it but I distinctly heard him say something about the Most Beautiful Poll for People. I didn't hear anything about Hank, but chances are if he knows about it and is talking about it he probably sent out a directive to all of his fans to vote for Hank, the Angry, Drunken Dwarf. That would explain the over 100,000 votes for him methinks. We know Stern has a lot of fans all ove rthe country, combined with all of the people jumping on the bandwagon and voting for him they could easily get a few hundred thousand votes for Hank. -Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.16.19980430104828.3f3742f0@muc.muohio.edu> Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 10:48:28 From: Chris Combs Subject: Re: TMBG: Cookies and Linnell >> I hate to break this to all of you, but your cookie schemes will not >> help in your voting. The cookie is on YOUR computer, and when you erase >> it, you tell YOUR computer that you haven't voted. However, each time your >> vote, your IP address is sent to THEIR computer. If you want to erase >> files, you have to erase stuff off of People Magazine's computer. >> Otherwise, the numbers will add up for them. > >Okay, maybe so, but there must, MUST, be a way to cheat, otherwise how did >Flasher #6 get to the number 2 spot overnight? I don't think that many people >voted for him....cheating, a little, ya think? So if it's not the erase the >cookie bit, what is it? And BTW, I still don't have any frickin' clue how to >delete the cookie....there is NO cookie file in my Netscape program....what >gives? The duplicate entries are not removed until voting is over. When the poll is closed, there will be a message that says something like "some people felt that the one vote per person rule didn't apply to them, so we'll be spending the next few days removing the ne'er-do-wells." That is why totals will go up regardless of cookies. The only way to cast multiple votes is to have different IP addresses. For dial-up people, this usually means hanging up and reconnecting between votes. For people with permanent IPs (like myself), there are three ways to do this: one, go to another computer for a new IP; two, telnet to other computers and vote from there; three, tell all our friends. =========================================================== = Chris Combs aka "Often things you caught = = Piglet Goat Boy or bought were not the = = goatboy@tso.cin.ix.net ones you sought." = = http://muc.muohio.edu/~goatboy/ -The Residents = =========================================================== ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000301bd744c$1be3eaa0$481e8a81@refund.rcn.nmt.edu> From: "Refund" Subject: TMBG: Bots bad. Warning, Will Robinson. Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 09:24:45 -0600 First of all, the page says that bot votes will be subtracted from the total...as in count as negative votes. Please don't do that. Secondly, I think you're all right about our repeat votes being removed at the end. I do have access to a hundred or so computers with separate IP addresses, though, so I'll have to get to them over the weekend. Though one thing doesn't make sense to me... It says 'one vote per browser' which would imply, to me anyway, that it is the cookie telling them it's a duplicate vote...hmmm.... Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the state of New Mexico. And whoever said there's nothing new under the sun never thought much about individuals, but he's dead anyway. The Refreshments -- Down Together. P.S. Visit www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Amphitheatre/5550/ The first Julie Plug tribute page in HISTORY!!! :0) ------------------------------ From: Monotreme3 Message-ID: Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 12:16:03 EDT Subject: TMBG: We're insane. Okay. I've come to the inevitable conclusion that we are all insane. Luckily for me, mine was just temporary insanity last night... er... this morning. But still... we're insane. So enough of all this cookie crap. It's neat to see Linnell's votes go up and all, but come on folks. What are we doing? This is certainly much ado about nada. That's just my two cents, though. I could be wrong. -Carey ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3548A580.6C28DD88@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu> Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 11:23:28 -0500 From: King of Wingo Subject: TMBG: Atheism... I thought this was just funny because of the reality of the situation....oh well, back to voting for Linnell at the campus computer labs... -Cornjob- -William Vincent Cornell, the 2nd- "Have a Navy Marine Corps Day" -Old Dominion University's Naval ROTC homepage "The optimist thinks that this is the best of all possible worlds, and the pessimist knows it." -J. Robert Oppenheimer "Your enemy is never a villain in his own eyes. Keep this in mind; it may offer a way to make him your friend. If not, you can kill him without hate - and quickly" -Excerpt from the notebooks of Lazarus Long [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (message/rfc822)] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3548A69D.9FB6C8B6@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu> Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 11:28:14 -0500 From: King of Wingo Subject: Re: TMBG: We're insane. Oh bite me....Sanity is just a one trick pony...I mean, all you get is rational thought...but when you're good and crazy, the skies the limit. You don't think it's insane or just unbelievably stupid that this 50 beautiful people poll even exists. C'mon, we're living in a crazy world with a f***ed up society...and it's not like it really matters. This is just a fun way to show People and people that they suck Don't ruin someone else's fun just because you happen to see the frivilousness of it all. I bet you told little kids there was no Santa Claus...Oh, don't worry, I'mjust teasing. It is silly, and if I had anything better to do, I'd do it, but I don't, so I'm having fun. -Cornjob- -- -William Vincent Cornell, the 2nd- "Have a Navy Marine Corps Day" -Old Dominion University's Naval ROTC homepage "The optimist thinks that this is the best of all possible worlds, and the pessimist knows it." -J. Robert Oppenheimer "Your enemy is never a villain in his own eyes. Keep this in mind; it may offer a way to make him your friend. If not, you can kill him without hate - and quickly" -Excerpt from the notebooks of Lazarus Long ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: <784512eb.3548cf53@aol.com> Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 15:21:54 EDT Subject: Re: (non)TMBG: Atheism... I know I shouldn't be replying to the list, but I gotta get my 2 cents in, whatever. I'm sorry. In a message dated 4/30/98 11:24:30 AM, wcornel@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu wrote: >I thought this was just funny because of the reality of the >situation.... I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say.. (making fun of atheists is kind of what I gather, and since I suppose I am one, I have to say something..) but if you're trying to make the list like the newsgroup *pleasepleasepleaseplease don't*... sarah ~ linnellgirl@tmbg.org ~ http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 15:39:41 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Bohager's 4/28 - Concert Review Message-ID: <19980430.154235.6886.2.gray42@juno.com> >So, I did this drunken sweeping U-turn at about 50 MPH >and floored it. At the next light, there was Hal in the >back seat, some guy driving I didn't recognize, and >John in the front seat! So I honked and he waved and I rolled >down my window and yelled, "Hey John! Thanks for a great >show!" Which John? Mysterio Gal (fellow Subgenius & Happy Mutant) " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 15:23:22 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Another TMBG Dream Message-ID: <19980430.154235.6886.1.gray42@juno.com> Last night, after drawing a kick-ass picture of John Linnell playing his accordian in a fancy suit, I had a dream that I had a computer program that would pull up a random picture of the Johns every time you use it. But I neede to install the program. Every time I started installing the program, my mother would come into my room and wake me up. Being in the delerious state of mind that I was in, I'd flop back in bed and fall asleep so I could finish installing this great new program, this continued for a while, and I finally lost the battle and never finished my dream. Aw Shucks :( Mysterio Gal (fellow Subgenius & Happy Mutant) " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 15:57:18 -0400 (EDT) From: Jish Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Cookies and Linnell Message-ID: Wrong...ISPs with dynamic IP could allocate the same IP to many different people over the course of time so that is why the system does use cookies and not IP addresses as its check On Thu, 30 Apr 1998, Chris Combs wrote: > I hate to break this to all of you, but your cookie schemes will not > help in your voting. The cookie is on YOUR computer, and when you erase > it, you tell YOUR computer that you haven't voted. However, each time your > vote, your IP address is sent to THEIR computer. If you want to erase > files, you have to erase stuff off of People Magazine's computer. > Otherwise, the numbers will add up for them. > > > > =========================================================== > = Chris Combs aka "Often things you caught = > = Piglet Goat Boy or bought were not the = > = goatboy@tso.cin.ix.net ones you sought." = > = http://muc.muohio.edu/~goatboy/ -The Residents = > =========================================================== > ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: <1dc5aafb.3548d96e@aol.com> Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 16:05:01 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Another TMBG Dream In a message dated 4/30/98 2:56:39 PM, you wrote: >Every time I started installing the >program, my mother would come into my room and wake me up. Being in the >delerious state of mind that I was in, I'd flop back in bed and fall >asleep so I could finish installing this great new program, this >continued for a while, and I finally lost the battle and never finished >my dream. LOL I do know what that's like... that happens to me all the time, on the best dreams too. >:P But if you really are looking for a program that picks a random picture, for a desktop background everytime you boot up, I do in fact have one.. I haven't used it in a long time, but it is very cool. I have a mac, so I don't know if it has a windows version or what, but it's called... oh damn I can't find it.. I think the reason I stopped using it was because my computer deleted it one time when my hard drive died.. I think it's called Desktop Picture or something to that effect.. :) You tell it a folder to pick from that you store your pics in (I had mine in of course, a TMBG folder;)) very cool.. sarah ~ linnellgirl@tmbg.org ~ http://lava.home.ml.org ((( now playing -- the pink album. song -- youth culture. ))) ------------------------------ From: Kaylum Message-ID: Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 16:21:07 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Cookies and Linnell In a message dated 98-04-30 10:02:21 EDT, you write: << > I hate to break this to all of you, but your cookie schemes will not > help in your voting. The cookie is on YOUR computer, and when you erase > it, you tell YOUR computer that you haven't voted. However, each time your > vote, your IP address is sent to THEIR computer. If you want to erase > files, you have to erase stuff off of People Magazine's computer. > Otherwise, the numbers will add up for them. > Okay, maybe so, but there must, MUST, be a way to cheat, otherwise how did Flasher #6 get to the number 2 spot overnight? I don't think that many people voted for him....cheating, a little, ya think? So if it's not the erase the cookie bit, what is it? >> I think that a lot of those votes for "Flasher 6," and others no one has heard of, are just people with friends voting contanstly or using 'bots who don't care if they're disqualified later--they just like seeing their names up there. We can hope the same is true for Hank. There's no telling who will come out with the most legit votes when the smoke clears. I taught at a middle school today (I'm a sub), and during my lunch break, I voted from all of the computers in the school library (only about 30), as well as the computer in the classroom I happened to be in. What I'm wondering, tho, is if those votes will count since they're probably all going to show as coming from the same address (the county school board, I suppose). I sub at that school a lot, and there are many more computers to go , but I don't wanna waste my time if the votes are gonna get thrown out. Kay ------------------------------ From: Kaylum Message-ID: <61fb3c22.3548dde7@aol.com> Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 16:24:06 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: We're insane. << Okay. I've come to the inevitable conclusion that we are all insane. Luckily for me, mine was just temporary insanity last night... er... this morning. But still... we're insane. So enough of all this cookie crap. It's neat to see Linnell's votes go up and all, but come on folks. What are we doing? This is certainly much ado about nada. That's just my two cents, though. I could be wrong. >> Of COURSE we're insane! I don't think any of us honestly thinks we can get Linnell to #1 on this poll, but I think the chances are excellent that we'll get him included in the photo gallery (assuming People keeps their word about that). And anyway, I just think it's a hoot that he's up there at all. Kay ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 13:30:18 -0700 (PDT) From: John Henton Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Cookies and Linnell Message-ID: > I taught at a middle school today (I'm a sub), and during my lunch break, I > voted from all of the computers in the school library (only about 30), as well > as the computer in the classroom I happened to be in. What I'm wondering, > tho, is if those votes will count since they're probably all going to show as > coming from the same address (the county school board, I suppose). I sub at > that school a lot, and there are many more computers to go , but I > don't wanna waste my time if the votes are gonna get thrown out. It depends on a few things. (the easy answer.) The computers are probably accessing the web through a proxy, so the votes will be seen as coming from the same "computer," but through different "browsers." (the cookie phenomenon.) It's my theory that the computer gathering the votes is using cookies to track how unique each vote really is.. If that's the case, then all of your votes should have counted twards the final total. :-) ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 16:51:03 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Club Rouges' Show lack of bootlegging Message-ID: <19980430.165103.19206.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> Hey all, sorry about the double post thing, but I was wondering if anyone went to the show last night (4-29). Blue Dawg? Anyone??? I'd like a complete review if possible! Better yet.. was it bootlegged?? (yeah right... how come people don't do that anymore?) Tim, the happy, straight-edge tall person Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: Twistin' Live in NY Last CD purchase: Cherry Poppin' Daddies - Zoot Suit Riot _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980430204643.9776.rocketmail@web1.rocketmail.com> Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 13:46:43 -0700 (PDT) From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: TMBG and (non)TMBG: Atheism... ---KdsInThHal wrote: > In a message dated 4/30/98 11:24:30 AM, wcornel@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu wrote: > > >I thought this was just funny because of the reality of the > >situation.... You know, I'm just going to leave this gross oversimplification of the atheist position alone. > I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say.. (making fun of atheists is > kind of what I gather, and since I suppose I am one, I have to say Woohoo! You and I can party in hell together! To make this semi-TMBG related, does anyone know what religious beliefs (if any) the Johns have? This is something I have wondered but never found any concrete evidence to support a particular stance. (pauses and wonders if she should don her flameproof suit now) Ducking for cover, Danielle, inspector over the mine P.S.--My main page now includes a "beatiful" plug! === URL: http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/1054/index.html "Well, we *could* just say that Americans are stupid, but that would be mean." --John Linnell _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 16:19:10 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Address change Message-ID: <19980430.162224.19174.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> Well, I now know who Hank is... I feel... fine... I also recieved a message from the mail Deamon who said that info@tmbg.com is not a worthy enough address for him to deliver... So, does anyone know how to change your address that the Info Club has??? Oh yeah, Linnell was 18 when I voted too... Tim, Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: Last CD purchase: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3548E6FB.21497191@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu> Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 16:02:51 -0500 From: King of Wingo Subject: [Fwd: NON-NON-NON-NON-TMBG Most definitely NON-TMBG: Atheism...] -- -William Vincent Cornell, the 2nd- "Have a Navy Marine Corps Day" -Old Dominion University's Naval ROTC homepage "The optimist thinks that this is the best of all possible worlds, and the pessimist knows it." -J. Robert Oppenheimer "Your enemy is never a villain in his own eyes. Keep this in mind; it may offer a way to make him your friend. If not, you can kill him without hate - and quickly" -Excerpt from the notebooks of Lazarus Long [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (message/rfc822)] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980430210720.10386.rocketmail@web4.rocketmail.com> Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 14:07:20 -0700 (PDT) From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: TMBG: Another TMBG Dream ---gray42@juno.com wrote: > > Last night, after drawing a kick-ass picture of John Linnell playing his Wow, I thought I was the only one who drew the Johns. It's funny; it wasn't until I started drawing them that I got any good at drawing. I'm still no great artist, but I'm improved by leaps and bounds. I'm working on sort of a comic strip representation of "For Science," complete with a muscle-bound Flans! ;) I had a TMBG dream a few nights ago but didn't want to share it for fear everyone would think I was nutty. Of course, y'all probably do think I'm nutty but don't really care. Anyway, here's the dream: I was in some sort of choral group, and the leader was trying to get me to sing a baritone part (I'm a soprano!). I kept trying to tell her that I couldn't sing that low, but she kept insisting I try these vocal exercises she was doing. Anyway, in the next "scene," I was in an auditorium with my father and my sister, and I was ranting to them about my predicament. Suddenly, behind me, I heard the beginning of "Weep Day." I forgot all about my problem and ran towards the music, dragging my family with me. By the time I got there, they must have been doing some instrumental. I saw Flans quite clearly, but Linnell was hunched over the keyboard with his arms extended to both ends of the keyboard, so all I saw of him was the purple-and-white striped shirt he was wearing. Another interesting thing is that by the time I got there, the only thing I could hear was screaming fans. Although my dad did say (in the dream), "Wow, they're much better live!" I suppose that should have tipped me off that it was a dream. Sigh. Welcome me to the land of obsession. > Mysterio Gal (fellow Subgenius & Happy Mutant) Danielle, inspector over the mine === URL: http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/1054/index.html "Well, we *could* just say that Americans are stupid, but that would be mean." --John Linnell _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 17:15:39 EDT Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: Another TMBG Dream In a message dated 4/30/98 4:09:56 PM, cherubino@rocketmail.com wrote: >Wow, I thought I was the only one who drew the Johns. Heck no! :D In fact I have LOTS of doodles & drawings of them.. mostly inspired by that damn AKA thread.. ;) I still have to find my drawing of Linnell & Beck doing the macarena... One drawing of Linnell (aside from my cards err.. AKA's) is actually *on* tmbg.org as the "Professor's Conundrum" (??) tile puzzle. :) > It's funny; it wasn't >until I started drawing them that I got any good at drawing. I'm still no >great artist, but I'm improved by leaps and bounds. I'm working on sort of a >comic strip representation of "For Science," complete with a muscle-bound >Flans! ;) LOL all you people drawing TMBG better have scanners:) :) :) I wanna see! gladtonotbetheonlyoneLOL, sarah linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 15:18:46 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: lack of bootlegging Message-ID: <19980430.151918.3982.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) >Better yet.. was it bootlegged?? (yeah right... how come people don't >do that anymore?) seriously kids... it's not that hard to do (so, you say you're without a recorder? you could record a show for about $30... needless to say it'll be pretty crappy but at least it's a recording of the show*) and once you get just a single bootleg, you too can get in on the trading scene with no problems... it only takes a few months to acquire a majority of all the TMBG bootlegs out there :) i list all my bootlegs by year... sadly to say that with the number of TMBG shows already in '98 it is still emptified... *yes, people flame me for promoting crappy bootlegs... but at this point, i am a collector and i no longer regard the quality of a show as its most imprortant aspect. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::2 weeks of evil IB tests and i'm done, yay!::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: EmmyMik Message-ID: Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 17:21:08 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: 50 Most Beautiful People The latest update: 1.Hank the Angry, Drunken Dwarf, 178055 votes 2.Leonardo DiCaprio, 7629 votes 3.Gillian Anderson, 5229 votes 4.Faye Wong, 4775 votes 5.Michelle Kwan, 4388 6.Madonna, 4360 7.Kate Winslet, 4116 8.Linda Comer, 2649 9.DPK, 2547 10.Hanson, 2397 11.Sarah Michelle Gellar, 2380 12.Hudson Leick, Callisto, 2205 13.Garett Maggart, 2187 14.John Linnell, 1941 15.Mariah Carey, 1678 16.Janet Jackson, 1573 17.David Duchovny, 1236 18.Ashley Judd, 1210 19.Backstreet Boys, 1189 20.Roy Dupuis, 1118 Up to #14! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <354915FA.7886D2B3@geocities.com> Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 17:23:25 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG and (non)TMBG: Atheism... Danielle Gaither wrote: > ---KdsInThHal wrote: > > In a message dated 4/30/98 11:24:30 AM, wcornel@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu wrote: > > > > >I thought this was just funny because of the reality of the > > >situation.... > You know, I'm just going to leave this gross oversimplification of the atheist > position alone. From what I gathered, the message itself wasn't making fun of atheists, but of people who simplified atheism. I can't really understand how anyone could be offended by it (unless they happen to be the professor in the story, who probably doesn't really exist anyway). > To make this semi-TMBG related, does anyone know what religious beliefs (if > any) the Johns have? This is something I have wondered but never found any > concrete evidence to support a particular stance. I seem to remember seeing somewhere that one of the Johns is Christian, and the other is Jewish. I don't know of the accuracy of this, though, and Their music is non-denominational. -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org or vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ From: EmmyMik Message-ID: <79f2d2d8.3548eea4@aol.com> Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 17:35:31 EDT Subject: TMBG: URL For Cookies I have found this web page that could help us get Linnell into the top 10. The URl is: http://www.cookiecentral.com/. Hopefully this will work! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 18:00:02 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <3.0.16.19980430175800.33ff0b6e@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu> From: Harry Subject: TMBG: COLUMBUS OHIO Hey, there! If anyone out there is in the Columbus, Ohio area (and I know a few of you are), come see Just A Hobby (my band) play at Kaffeine Coffee Shop at 2253 North High Street on May 22 @ 10:30 PM. This is the absolute first time we will be playing a full set in front of a crowd. We are a two-man band who writes and performs weird songs with clever lyrics. We will be covering at least two TMBG tunes, "Anna Ng" and "I Palindrome I", and maybe others. And, if we eventually make it big, YOU will be the coolest person on justahobby-list@hobby.org in the year 2005! Thanks! Hair Knight "I love the world and if I have to Knight.49@osu.edu sue for custody, I will sue for Justahobby@tmbg.org custody..." http://members.tripod.com/~jahobby -They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3548f6331686002@garnet.tc.umn.edu> Subject: TMBG: People voting Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 17:07:47 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts (Let's see if this one goes through; yesterday's attempt bounced oddly.) Note that the People voting site specifically says that automated votes will be discounted. It's easy enough for them to check; 800 requests from the same IP really stand out. So vote, but don't go overboard. We don't want them to reject Linnell because we cheated. Let's try to keep things reasonably honest; tell your friends to vote, as I'm sure there are enough fans out there to make a definite splash. %% Chris Bongaarts %% Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu %% http://umn.edu/~cab %% U of Minnesota %% CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) %% Stop Plate Tectonics! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980430223042.00737550@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 17:30:42 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG and (non)TMBG: Atheism... >I seem to remember seeing somewhere that one of the Johns is Christian, and the >other is Jewish. I don't know of the accuracy of this, though, and Their music is >non-denominational. Isn't one of them Catholic, therefore insiting the GLadly The Cross I bare\Sadly the Cross-eyed Bear or something? LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 18:18:46 -0400 Subject: Non TMBG: But I need YOUR help Message-ID: <19980430.181856.3334.0.gray42@juno.com> I scanned some pics at school and uploaded them into my website. My school computers a Mac and I own an IBM. But I'd like to have these pics on my IBM hardrive so I can do creative things with them. Is there a way to copy them from the internet onto my home hardrive, from my home??? Mysterio Gal (fellow Subgenius & Happy Mutant) " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 19:13:17 -0400 Subject: Non TMBG: Thanx Message-ID: <19980430.191336.3334.0.gray42@juno.com> Hey Carey, I do have Adobe Photoshop, and like you said I should, I did a bit of Downloading, now I have the files on my PC. Thanx for the help :D Now I face the more difficult problem of how to turn these pictures in to Wallpaper, I can probably figure it out through experimentation. Mysterio Gal (fellow Subgenius & Happy Mutant) " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: Robert Plass Subject: TMBG: Marist Show Info Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 19:54:40 -0400 Hello exquisite living people, Marist College, Poughkeepsie, NY 5/1/98 Saturday Marist show is at 8PM, tickets are $10 if you're gen. public and $8 if you have a college ID. Box office is open at 6PM, but you can buy tickets all day Friday until 10PM and all day Saturday until 6PM at the Student Activities Office, 914-575-3000. They're very nice there. Lincoln is opening and Giants are closing. It's going to be a great show! I know it! I can feel it! Directions are available at http://www.marist.edu/direct.html You want the south entrance, parking is available at the McCann Center. Its about 75 miles North of NYC and there is MetroNorth Service to POKIPSE. Hope to see you there! Love, Robert Plass ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot Message-ID: <32cef1ad.35491860@aol.com> Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 20:33:35 EDT Subject: TMBG: They Might Be MOD I know there are a lot of MIDI files made by people out there, but I was wondering if there were any good MOD (S3M, IT, etc.) files of TMBG songs....I don't know why I don't like the MIDI format, well, I just prefer S3M & such a lot more! ok, ok, I'm done.... jason "I'm not done talking yet..." glastetter ------------------------------ Message-ID: <354939B0.5690@stlnet.com> Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 20:55:47 -0600 From: Lynne Subject: TMBG: Current standings :-) Here are the results as of 8:52:30 on April 30. Here are the latest results: 1.Hank the Angry, Drunken Dwarf, 186246 votes 2.DPK, 8956 votes 3.Leonardo DiCaprio, 8694 votes 4.Gillian Anderson, 5450 votes 5.Linda Comer, 4936 6.Faye Wong, 4844 7.Madonna, 4555 8.Michelle Kwan, 4540 9.Kate Winslet, 4286 10.Hanson, 2658 11.Sarah Michelle Gellar, 2582 12.Garett Maggart, 2366 13.Hudson Leick, Callisto, 2205 14.John Linnell, 2177 15.Mariah Carey, 1773 16.Janet Jackson, 1604 17.Lucy Lawless, 1348 18.Backstreet Boys, 1341 19.David Duchovny, 1268 20.Ashley Judd, 1260 Chris chrisl@tmbg.org "Save the whales. Collect the whole set." ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: <9ea49356.35492ad1@aol.com> Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 21:52:16 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Current standings :-) In a message dated 4/30/98 8:49:52 PM, chrisl@stlnet.com wrote: >14.John Linnell, 2177 LOL he just keeps multiplying and multiplying... :) is this because everyone tells a friend who tells a friend...? ;D sarah linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35492C98.BD7@geocities.com> Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 18:59:52 -0700 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: TMBG: Linnell/voting Who's going to a concert before May 8th? Are you thinking what I'm thinking? Bwahah... just get about eight feet of butcher paper and a lot of paint... and like MAGIC! 1000 more votes! (unless some renegades go for Flans ;)) -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "Is everything normal now?" "And crawling on the "Well, he hasn't got planet's face... some religious mania, and he's called the Human Race. not running around in a Lost in time, and lost circle spouting Gilbert in space... and Sullivan, so I guess ...and meaning." he's normal." ------------------------------ Message-ID: <8pGIFFG00WB=1m_lY0@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 23:41:05 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Bots bad. Warning, Will Robinson. Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 30-Apr-98 TMBG: Bots bad. Warning, Wi.. by "Refund"@nmt.edu > First of all, the page says that bot votes will be subtracted from the > total...as in count as negative votes. Please don't do that. Secondly, I ahem. simple math: total votes + bot votes - bot votes = total votes all they do is subtract out the extra votes. they don't actually penalize you. Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Everything sticks until it goes away, * This space inadvertently And the truth is we don't know anything." -TMBG * left blank. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 22:16:18 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Bots bad. Warning, Will Robinson. Message-ID: <19980430.222029.20646.3.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) >total votes + bot votes - bot votes = total votes > >all they do is subtract out the extra votes. they don't actually >penalize you. and anyways... it'll get people to at least recognize John linnell's name... possibly get some more TMBG fans :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ::::The Official Gum Bubble:::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 22:09:16 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Current standings :-) Message-ID: <19980430.222029.20646.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) >is this because everyone tells a friend who tells a friend...? ;D > that's what i've got happening... i sent out an e-mail telling all my buds to either vote for Linny or for dave foley :) and then forward the message on... anyways, from just me telling my friends and them telling their friends i've gotten at least 150 people to actually vote out of all the people we sent 'em to... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ::::The Official Gum Bubble:::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980501043533.9289.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Bradley Gibson" Subject: TMBG: Most Beautiful People Update Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 21:35:32 PDT Woo-hoo... Last i checked, this was the standings: 1.Hank the Angry, Drunken Dwarf, 189572 votes 2.DPK, 26425 votes 3.Leonardo DiCaprio, 8989 votes 4.Linda Comer, 5958 votes 5.Gillian Anderson, 5549 6.Faye Wong, 4909 7.Michelle Kwan, 4670 8.Madonna, 4629 9.Kate Winslet, 4349 10.The guy behind Flasher #4 at FlashMountain.com, 3850 11.Hanson, 2745 12.Sarah Michelle Gellar, 2670 *13.John Linnell, 2463 14.Garett Maggart, 2463 15.Hudson Leick, Callisto, 2206 Yea, linnell's up to 13! and it was my vote! course by now he's probably 12 too.. btw, i'm on digest so excuse me if im repetitive, 'cause i'm on digest. "If any one yells out 'LIST' to me, is it alright to yell back 'LURKER ON DIGEST?'"--- Bradley Gibson please excuse the satanic message below... ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #6-1 ****************************